[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited http://media.wiza

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 356
Thread images: 24

File: IMG_0792.jpg (115KB, 673x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0792.jpg
115KB, 673x1000px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/MJ320UAWizardVF2017.pdf

>Official survey on Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/...
>>52307719

Kindly take this poll, /5eg/.
http://www.strawpoll.me/12584834
>>
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.me/5eg
>>
File: Iggy.jpg (23KB, 419x350px) Image search: [Google]
Iggy.jpg
23KB, 419x350px
What is the best class to play as a kobold in?
I'm thinking bard.
>>
>>52316225

Thank you
>>
Does posting the discord link count as spam at this point?
>>
What are some shittily done, too popular for their own good ideas that you might like to see done properly? Maybe some dndwiki trash? Wanted to try to homebrew something.
>>
>>52316245
No it's wild magic sorcerer
>>
>>52316245
Mystic
>>
>>52316245
Actual answer: rogue.

Meme answer: mystic.
>>
>>52316251
It's not even once per thread. Let's just not be shitters about it.
>>
>>52316251
No just let it be if you chimp out, it gets worse, leave it up to each individual OP to decide whether or not to put it up there, and if a random anon wants to add it to the thread none of us can stop them.
>>
>>52316262
A half human template for anything
>>
>>52316271
Forget memes, that shit sounds like it could be fun.
>>
>>52316225
How do you join? I've never used anything besides an instant invite link.
>>
>>52316287
I had a 3.5e character once that was a kobold swordsage with a greatsword. His whole shtick was jumping around and dealing massive damage through it. Brute Force makes me want to rebuild it.

>>52316297
Register and email-validate your account.
>>
>>52316281
Wouldn't that just be a separate race? Templates seem odd, especially in that context.
>>
>>52316297
Go to discord.com, sign up, and if you like download the program, then click the link, it automatically adds it to your server list.
>>
Will unearthed arcana ever be released as a supplement?
>>
>>52316329
Did volo kobolds have an int penalty?
>>
>>52316333
Not the one you've replied to, but half-elves are basically a subrace of elves.
>>
>>52316281
Make an assortment of "half X" feats that varhums can take.
>>
Which giant stronghold is best giant stronghold?
Are they all roughly the same difficulty?
>>
>>52316375
The idea is it can be included in separate future supplements, when hammered out.
>>
>>52316377
They have a strength penalty, which is a problem for a greatsword build.

It'd be nonoptimal by any measure but still cool, I think.
>>
So if you dip a level into Cleric or Druid do you get their whole spell list as your casting advances?
>>
File: Grifli.gif (3KB, 272x317px) Image search: [Google]
Grifli.gif
3KB, 272x317px
>>52316287
Kobolds are always fun.
>>
>>52316403
Just the first level spells dude
>>
File: rod.jpg (29KB, 419x190px) Image search: [Google]
rod.jpg
29KB, 419x190px
How strong is this?

On first glance it seems insane, its a straight 50% power boost to any Warlock since they are limited to 2 spells per rest.
>>
Have you ever have a game where everyone is one class and you need to really specialize?
>>
>>52316403
Preparing spells is still based on your individual class levels, so you'd only have 1st-level spells unless you took 3 levels in the given class.
>>
>>52316401
Just get them a giant strength belt/ gauntlets of strong ogre strength
>>
>>52316381
There's overlap, but it doesn't quite fit that way mechanically.

But making a half human template, and applying it to "anything" doesn't work, because it's largely a matter of removing and modifying that race in a custom manner. And just forget a half dragon with that method.

It'd be easier to make 1st level variant human only feats representing being a half blood.
>>
So anyway, I've been wanting to use CR 1 spellcasters with imp familiars (to indicate devils are providing material support) as antagonists for low level PCs. When their master dies, they no longer count as familiars and are enraged and sting somebody.

On the other hand, even though a first level party should probably be able to handle two CR 1 encounters in a row, an imp basically unloads 15 points of damage on you with advantage from surprise in a way you can't do anything about, which admittedly sucks.

Part of why I like this idea is that CR 1 caster + imp duos can challenge fairly high level PCs, so I can use these guys as footsoldiers for one of the enemy factions, and its not really them appearing out of nowhere, just in scenarios where the PCs can't pick them off one at a time. On the other hand, they're still probably pretty annoying foes that do big damage bursts.

So is the idea workable or should I just save them for higher level?

>sorry for repost
>>
>>52316434
>>52316447
Alright
>>
>>52316442

Bad ass.
>>
>>52316460
No need to be sorry anon, it's more likely to be seen and answered here.
>>
>>52316442
If you get it at that low of a level, sure. It's seems appropriate, even. But they get more spells as they level, and the bonus is only once per day.
>>
>>52316442
Remember that the game is designed around two short rests and one long rest per day. So it's really only a 1/6th boost.
>>
>>52316446
Yeah in 2e, we had a pure magic user team for awhile. Worked fine.

I had my fire elementalist brutally killed by a vampire cleric whose succubus girlfriend conferred fire immunity onto him. Level drain and constitution penalty all at once, brutal. But
hey, at least there was a friendly person to rezz me (lot of alternative parties in the area).
>>
File: Paladin_x_Giant.png (7KB, 290x329px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin_x_Giant.png
7KB, 290x329px
>>52316182
>Paladin all the way up with the masters

Feels way good to have your favorite class so widely recognized as great.
>>
>>52316517
>Remember that the game is designed around two short rests and one long rest per day.

In my experience people take 0-1 short rests per day.
>>
>>52316329
>>52316338
Thank you guys. I didn't realize I could just put it in my browser address bar, I only ever used the app.

TIME TO MAKE SOME FUCKIN FRIENDS
>tfw I'm too scared to chat anyway
>>
>>52316581
Bullshit the DM should railroad the PCs into scenarios where many hour long lunch breaks are feasible but 8 hour long naps are rare.
>>
REALLY new to the game here:

How exactly do material components work? Are they always consumed upon the casting of a spell?

Do I always need new shamrock leaves/druid focus for each cast of Shillelagh for example?
>>
>>52316271
A Kobold Mystic could take Light and Shadow, and negate the sensitivity for 1 point.
>>
>>52316442
A Warlock will have 2 slots until 11.
It'll add 1 to the 6 slots it'll get with 2 short rests, it is good, but isn't insane.

The bonus to spell attack and saving throws is really good, though.
>>
>>52316613
Depends on your DM. A lot of them just throw it out the window.
>>
>>52316613
Unlike other editions, material components are not consumed unless it says otherwise.

Component pouches or arcane focuses take the place of any material component unless a cost is listed.
>>
>>52316612

I am still mad about them making short rests 1 hour instead of 5 minutes.
>>
>>52316613
Nope that's what component pouches/arcane focuses are for

Unless it costs money
>>
>>52316644
1 hour short rests are the default, moderate version. There are DMG variants that make them shorter or longer, it's up to the DM to run it how they want to.
>>
How did your party's fight with the yakfolk in the yakfolk village go?
>>
>>52316633
>>52316637
>>52316654
Interesting. I just found it weird that a druid's starting equipment includes a Focus when a cantrip like Shillelagh requires separate components, the focus being reusable seems to make the materials redundant.

At the same time, needing new shamrock leaves every time you want to cast just a cantrip would be a pain. On a similar note, I've picked up multiple chunks of obsidian to make sure I can cast erupting earth multiple times but that shit weighs my inventory.
>>
>>52316736
Good
>>
All right nignogs

Is it Str, Dex and Int, or STR, DEX and INT?
>>
>>52316759
ALL CAPS
>>
>>52316759
Either or. Arguing whether one is objectively right or not is just being pedantic.
>>
My local post office just informed me my copy of the Yawning Portal has arrived. Isn't the release date April 4? I can't get it until tomorrow because it's night here.
>>
>>52316759
Depends if you're autistic or not.
>>
>>52316759
Both.
>>
>>52316785
Everyone's autistic on 4chan
>>
>>52316746
Components are only consumed when it says they are, and non-costly components are expected to be available within a component pouch at all times, so a focus is no different.

The real purposes of those components are flavor and for when equipment is entirely missing, it limits casters to what they can find, just like martials.
>>
>>52316459
So, what would the half-race feats be like?

Language and maybe a Skill, +1 to a particular stat, and two racial traits?

Like Fey ancestry and darkvision for Half-Elves, or dark vision and relentless endurance for Half-Orcs (interesting how that's not a trait orcs have.)

So for instance a Half-Dwarf/Mul feat might be:

Half-Dwarf
Prerequisite: Human
Yadayadayada, one of your folks had a massive beard. You gain the following benefits:
* Increase your constitution by 1, to a maximum of 20.
* You know Dwarvish
* You have Darkvision to 60ft
* You have the Dwarven Resiliance trait (Advantage on poison saves, resistance against poison damage)
>>
>>52308334
Are there guides like this for classes besides Druid and Wizard?
>>
>>52316795
It's still both.
>>
File: 1422658132899.gif (2MB, 450x257px) Image search: [Google]
1422658132899.gif
2MB, 450x257px
>Party gets a TPK, far away, obviously losing all their possessions
>Starts new party, I give them a few thousand gold each and a decent starting magic item for their level
>Party proceeds to spend weeks complaining they don't have enough gold to afford anything really expensive
>Complain they haven't found any cool replacement magic items
>They've been in 1.5 dungeons so far
>>
>>52316668
>>52316644
Although initially I thought the shorter version was hella gay, I realized that you're still limited to one long rest per day, so its not so bad.

Actually, I find it disturbingly stupid that the short, short rests are "epic heroism" and the week long rests are "gritty realism," I don't find either to have much to do with heroism or realism. I would more call them quick pace, picnic quest, and leisurely paced campaigns.
>>
>>52316251
Only if you're looking to be offended. Nobody is forcing you to join.
>>
>>52316736
Yakfolk should just be a minotaur subrace.
>>
>>52316815
I can tell you that the cleric guides are pretty all over the place, and that while they can usually identify the worst and best options, they have trouble identifying the useful from the not so useful.
>>
>>52316746
Materials are not consumed unless specified (e.g., you only need a single piece of obsidian for castings of erupting earth, and you don't even need that shard as long as you have your druidic focus). Materials with a gold cost listed must be on your person, however.
So spells that specifically consume a component with a specified cost in gold are the most expensive to cast, and usually the most powerful.
>>
>>52316800
>>52316983
Thank you for the elaboration, I'll bring this up with my DM.
>>
>>52316644
I miss the way healing surges worked.
>>
>>52316644
Some things would break, sadly. Imagine a warlock getting animate dead or cure wounds on that timer.

If you wanted 5 minute breaks, it'd have to be with an entirely different set of resources. Maybe some martial things.
>>
>>52316747
In what way?

>>52316857
They're monstrosities like minotaurs and other abomination races are.
>>
>>52316814
Pretty much
>>
>>52316644
You are meant to be spending resources to heal whenever you can't take an hour, spells/potions in particular. It's why Prayer of Healing is 10 minutes to cast. Short rests are a way to RECOVER resources, too many short rests breaks the game, as does not enough.

6-8 encounters, 2 short rests, 1 long rest.
Fit the duration of each to match the encounter rate expected of your campaign, it makes the game work better.
>>
>>52317050

Nothing wrong with healing to full between fights.

Short rest animate deads are insane, but require significant multiclassing to do it. I don't have a problem with it, caster antags are very common in my games.
>>
>>52317142
5e is designed to be attrition based. Recovering to full after every encounter breaks the encounter math.
>>
>>52317157
Pretty much this. 5 minute effects can be fine, 5 minute casting is not.
>>
File: Bard1.png (280KB, 434x700px) Image search: [Google]
Bard1.png
280KB, 434x700px
What are your favorite spells for a lore bard to borrow from other classes? Convince me lore bard is an excellent choice for an upcoming midlevel campaign.
>>
Has anyone ever actually taken one of the "+1 spell known per day" invocations? Seems like they need a boost to be worthy.
>>
>>52317140
"This fight is a way to drain short rest resources from the party" sounds colossally boring to me, and the warlock is already atrocious even if you assume he will begin each fight with a short rest (his crowning achievement is "hit twice really hard maybe").

Long rest resources? That I can get behind. That gets people's noodle going. The PCs go into virtually any scenario knowing that:
1. They can get it back in an hour if they find somewhere they can be undisturbed
2. They only get one a day

So for me, those are interesting tactical resources. Short rest resources? There's nothing interesting about being stingy with those.
>>
>>52317157
>the encounter math

The encounter math is, as with the encounter math of every other edition, something that deserves to be ignored except for very cautious DMs.
>>
>>52317273
Aura of Vitality, it makes in combat healing an efficient use of resources.
Spirit Guardians, a long duration spell with consistent damage and a control aspect that can keep you, and your back line, alive.
Spiritual Weapon, turn your bonus action into damage, without concentration.
Hunger of Hadar, Darkness+ that doesn't get dispelled by light based spells.
Counterspell, because it's almost always worth using.
>>
Actually, how about "5 min rests, up to 1/hour"?
>>
>>52317088
Sounds pretty good to me, and I kinda like using the var-human+feat as a way to make half-whatevers.
>>
>>52317411
Alright, give me a list of a few race halves to mess with.
>>
>>52317339
All that really does is make fighters even better at the thing they are already the very best at. Oh, and it lets monks spam Stunning Fist even more i guess.

Warlocks are meant to be played more like martials, except they get to cast things like Fly on their party.
>>
>>52317381
I'm completely fine with people ignoring it, but when people ignore the design intent and break encounter math, and then complain that X class is bad, or that Y is too good, it doesn't mean anything.

So by all means, play and run what works for you, but if you find something NOT working, see if that reason might be because you changed things.
>>
>>52317459
Cool, so in other words, no drawbacks whatsoever then. I like it.

>Warlocks are meant to be played more like martials

I get that, but "if you want a really powerful warlock... you can hit really hard, twice!" is still pretty tragic even if its "per fight" and not "per every few fights."

>>52317489
Well hell, if you play 3e as its intended (party with healbot cleric, evoker wizards vs one foe of = CR equal to party at a time) you're probably never going to run into problems either. Nobody plays past editions by the encounter guidelines, so I see no reason to start now.

And the classes I see people kvetch about are 99% of the time, short rest focused classes.
>>
>>52316759
stR, DeX, and iNt.
>>
>>52317616
Get the fuck out of here
>>
>>52316442
>On first glance it seems insane, its a straight 50% power boost to any Warlock since they are limited to 2 spells per rest.
warlocks are a joke class because they're limited to two spells per day, maybe four if you're lucky
If I was running I would let a warlock player start with the rod
>>
>>52317604
>no drawbacks
Fighters are already the kings of combat, giving them full superiority die and action surge every combat is pretty fucked.

Have you considered allowing for partial short rest benefits instead?
Let the Battlemaster get 1-2 die back quickly, the warlock 1 spell, the monk half to 1/4 his Ki.
Save full recovery for an hour long, medium rest, while keeping Arcane Recovery at medium length.

The nova potential of a battlemaster, even just at level 5, is intense if you use all your dice AND action surge at the start of each combat.
>>
>>52317705
>2 spells per day
Even by the guidelines many find too restrictive on short rests, a Warlock should have 6 spells per day.
>>
>>52317705
>If I was running I would let a warlock player start with the rod

I think I'm going to have enemy warlocks with those be pretty common, so that warlock PCs can fill attunement slots with them. Not really the best thing to use your attunement slots for but they won't have alternatives for awhile.
>>
>>52317740
>5th level Paladin
>14d8 worth of smite damage
>5th level 'fixed' Warlock
>36d8 worth of smite damage
>>
Mountain Dwarf Lore Bard
14 (+2) 14 12(+2) 8 10 14

Would this work? I want to be melee Lore Bard.
>>
>>52317489
>the game is expected to function in an extremely awkward and unnatural way that no group would find themselves doing naturally
>if the game doesn't work then it's your fault for changing things
i guess that's technically true
>>
>>52317459
friendly reminder that fighters are shit and better classes can take the meta feats too
>>
>>52317885
>fighters are shit
Have you tried PLAYING a game of 5e?
>>
>>52317718
>pretty fucked

The encounter guidelines are pretty fucked too. Obviously they don't need the help in a teeny weeny BtB campaign. I like "fighting for your life" more than "fighting so that you don't have to have lunch," personally. Battlemaster novas sound really damn exciting, personally.

Out of curiosity, how many TSR-era or 3e campaigns have you been in that they followed the rules for designing balanced encounters? Most people in the OSR threads seem to think such guidelines didn't even exist.

>Have you considered allowing for partial short rest benefits instead?

Can't imagine any reason why.
>>
>Hill Dwarf
>Dragon Sorcerer
>Tough feat at level 4

Going for a meme build. What do you think?
>>
>>52317827
UA isn't a relevant balancing metric.

Paladins, however, are guaranteed essential MvPs even if they never smite.
>>
Will I get sneers/eyerolls if I make a lesbian character? I'm not interested in hitting on literally every female character she sees or making sure everyone knows she's gay, but I'd like to put a girlfriend/wife in her backstory.
>>
>>52317842
>melee lore bard
Shit nigga what are you doin?
>>
File: a.baa-Laughing-Horse.jpg (64KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
a.baa-Laughing-Horse.jpg
64KB, 600x516px
>>52317846
>>
>>52317456
Ogres
Hags
Giants

Hmm, there's dragons, and fiends, but are they already served by dragonborn and tieflings?
>>
>>52317897
Yes, clearing the majority of an encounter in 1 round and overshadowing every other class because they can nova so hard, and making the 2 fighter dip for multiclassing EVEN BETTER, is entirely a good thing.

Whatever, do what you want man, but i'm glad i don't play in your games.
>>
>>52317911
why not Stone Sorcerer? It's a better fit thematically and mechanically.
>>
>>52317965
I'd you and you're group can be mature about it you should be fine. Avoid stereotypes. But consider a righteous paladin ladykiller.
>>
>>52317974
A Dwarf who sing and insulting people while swinging his axe
>>
>>52317965
To the degree that you shove sex into games, you will probably get, and 100% deserve, scorn and mockery.

Nothing wrong with putting a same sex lover into your backstory, but bringing it up in game tends to be pretty annoying.
>>
>>52317996

I didn't realize it also had that ability. That aside, I prefer to stick with non-UA stuff when I can.
>>
>>52317992
I like to think half dragons as distinct from dragonborn visually, but I have no idea how to do it mechanically.
>>
>>52318023
Literally valor bard. You're already playing against type as a dwarf bard, no need to double down.
>>
Who is actually using D&D Beyond?
>>
>>52318069
Valor Bard doesn't really give anything to Dwarf Bard. They already have medium armor and a good weapon.

Also Valor Bard can only encourage ally not insulting people.
>>
Is Assassin the hardest archetype to play?

> Have to get better initiative than opponent
> Everyone in the party must be stealthy or busted
>>
>>52317993

Wow... fighters being hax? That sounds terrible.

>dip

If you allow casual multiclassing, the main attraction is probably life cleric 1->wizard x type shit, especially because high wisdom on a wizard (or bard, sorc, etc.) is common sense since its perhaps the best defensive stat around. Heavy Armor, Healing Word + Disciple of Life and no interruption in spells per day progression? Yes fuckin plz.

>but i'm glad i don't play in your games.

The feeling is mutual.

And you didn't answer the question, how many TSR era or 3e campaigns have you been in that they followed the rules for designing balanced encounters, and how angry did you get that they were not followed?
>>
>>52318092
It won't be worth using until we see how its character creation and management works. Right now it's just a glorified SRD site.
>>
>>52318018
I'm more leaning towards a ranger or druid who just wants to be left the fuck alone in the forest but is forced to leave due to some outside forces. Gay paladins could be neat though. Maybe cleric. Purest form of love and all that.

>>52318030
Yeah, I'm not interested in bringing it up ingame unless she somehow encounters a romantically interested male, in which case it would just be a simple "you're not my type" and we move on.
>>
>>52318129
Strikes me that its more luck based (whole party of dexy stealthers, successful surprise and winning initiative) than hard per se.

On the plus side, the stealth rolls are easy as FUCK due to almost all foes relying on darkvision as nothing but direct light allows you to avoid perc disad.
>>
Does an Arcane Focus have to be something you can physically hold in a hand?

Is this done for the purposes of being able to be disarmed, or more to just occupy your hand?

I see a lot of people try and use necklaces as Arcane Foci, but between that and occupying a hand for a rod, seems one is easily better than the other.
>>
>>52318239
They still need free hand when handling the Foci. So necklace user can't actually cheat their way out.
>>
>>52318239
> A spellcaster must have a hand free to access a spell’s material components—or to hold a spellcasting focus—but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.
>>
>>52318293
Somantic spells require a focus ready and another hand to flail around. So in the rod case, one hand is flailing and one is holding the rod.

But in the necklace case, only one hand is flailing around. The other goes unused.

>>52318310
Gotcha. I guess its easy enough to take the necklace off and hold it when battling though. That would easily work as a Crystal type.
>>
Since if we're going by 4e lore tiefling blood is dominant, and tieflings tend to be heavily ostracized, it struck me as odd that cults aren't chock full of them (specially, the sort of cultist that hides in a basement every day, not the kind that sneaks around incognito).

Then I realized, CR 1/8 enemies with 2d10 Hellish Rebukes would be unbearably shitty...
>>
>>52318347
>CR 1/8 being equivalent of level 3 PC

They could have fire resistance instead, though.
>>
>>52318346
No. You only need one hand on both case. The hand that use to hold rod will also be count as the hand that do somatic.

This only work for spell that has both somatic and material component though.
>>
>>52318431
Its late. My bad, thanks for clarifying.

So what's my other hand doing half the time?
>>
Does a material component with a cost have to be in your hand? Say I want to cast chromatic orb and I have a wand. Could I set the diamond in a necklace or earring while I wave the wand to cast the spell?
>>
>>52318473
Jerkin' it.
>>
>>52318501
Do not sexualize my sorcererereress
>>
File: fullmetalninja.jpg (52KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
fullmetalninja.jpg
52KB, 736x736px
>>52318129
You are now aware that the book explicitly tells you to handle Stealth checks for the group as--wait for it--a group check. If half of the party makes the check, everyone's covered; no more getting screwed by the Paladin tripping over his toes while everyone else is fucking Ninja Warrior over there.
>>
>>52317885
I've been in several 5e campaigns on the weekend and I've played multiple fighters because they fit the flavor of character i'm trying to make more often than not. I like being a guy who is just skilled with their weapon.
They get: Action Surge, an ability that lets you hit with one more attack and miss with the second one, and you need to be able to do something with your action that has a significant impact (like casting fireball) for it to become an amazing ability instead of just a thing you have that lets you do maybe 7 or 20 more damage one time
Second Wind: heal yourself for like 8 hp, paladins have lay on hands (5xlevel healing they can distribute precisely and on anyone), barbarians have higher HP to begin with and can turn damage resistant, paladins and rangers also have spell slots to heal with
Fighting Style: paladins and rangers get this too
Eldritch Knight: cast Shield and Absorb Elements all the time, get an extra 1d8 damage when you can start using BB/GFB and still attack twice, barbarians are still tankier than you. Being able to get things like Find Familiar or Expedition Retreat with the one off-type spell you're allowed makes this the best phb archetype in my opinion.
Champion: you're an idiot
Battlemaster: this would actually compete with other classes if short rests worked properly, which they don't, so pick paladin and smite everything into dust instead
Indomitable: fail your save a second time. barbarians have advantage on dex saves, paladins have their bullshit aura of protection, monks and rogues get Evasion which is amazing
they have one more ASI at 6th level to make putting together your Polearm Master Great Weapon Master Sentinel Variant Human a little easier
and the third extra attack that nobody ever gets so who cares

I think the archetypes that came out in the string of UAs were really good but I haven't read them in a while. The Arcane Archer, Samurai, and Knight. I'm just talking about phb fighter.
>>
>>52318520
Isn't a sorceress just a sexier witch though
>>
New player here, and I just have one simple question: When exactly does a character die? Can a character only die when they fail all 3 Death saving throws?.
>>
>>52318551
intended for >>52317895
>>
>>52318521
At least half the group still have to succeed.
>>
>>52318572
>not ensuring the heavy armor user in your party is actually a Shadow Monk who spams Pass Without Trace
>>
>>52318556
- When they fail 3 death saving throws.
- When they take damage from a single source that causes damage past 0 HP equal to their maximum HP.
- When the DM says so.
>>
>>52318473
Holding shield?
Holding weapon?
Grappling people?
Doing weird pose like Jojo?
>>
>>52318105
Uh... Hmm. Fair point I suppose.
>>
>>52318588
It's actually just your max HP past zero.
I got confused by the whole "double your max HP" thing, but that's only true if you are currently at your max.

And remember, there's no negative HP anymore, so that big hit has to come all at once.
>>
File: 1225966_p0.jpg (125KB, 630x900px) Image search: [Google]
1225966_p0.jpg
125KB, 630x900px
>>52318598
I'll stick with "perpetually giving rude gestures"

>>52318553
Witches can be sexy
>>
>>52318553
Please, witches are obviously the sexyslutty ones.
>>
>>52318551
>if short rests worked properly

how are they supposed to work but don't?

(I know the official answer is "you should get 2 picnics a day" but I'm curious as to his opinion)
>>
>>52318556
a rat bites you twice
you're dead
>>
How much joking do you allow at your table? I.e.

>a guard approaches you and asks you about your business
>I punch him in the face
>ok roll to hit
>haha nah bro I was just joking or I said that out of character

Obviously everyone jokes whilst playing but where's the line?
>>
>>52318693

I'm playing a clown.

I ate the line.
>>
>>52318654
you should get 2 picnics a day
most groups get 0 to 1
most GMs don't realize this is a problem and don't change it, and if they did do something like shorten the short rest they would end up buffing things like Moon Druid as well as Fighter
>>
>>52317279
They are decent if you change them to "You can cast them once per day without using a spell slot."
>>
>>52318693
Tone of voice and eye contact matters.

I don't "confirm" any actions unless I'm talking directly to my DM
>>
>>52318693
We roll with it.

When one of our players head-butted his dwarf friend, we decided that was a standard dwarven greeting for old friends. Dwarven Hug.
>>
>>52318553
Sorcerer <-> Sorceress
Warlock <-> Witch
Wizard <-> Wizardess
Magician <-> Magicienne
Evoker <-> Evokess
Conjurer <-> Conjuress
Transmuter <-> Transmutrix
Illusionist <-> Illusionista
Necromancer <-> Necromancess
Abjurer <-> Abjuress
Diviner <-> Diviness
Enchanter <-> Enchantress
Arcanist <-> Arcanista
>>
>>52318215
Gay druids seem odd, for some reason. Hadn't thought about it before, but the whole down to nature thing sorta lends to being bi more than anything. Like it happens in nature but not usually exclusively? On the other hand if she's been hamging with fey and unicorns that's a different archetype entirely.

Ah nevermind, you do you.
>>
>>52318708
I've seen the other side more commonly, certain party members wanting to rest after every encounter, and the rest of us+DM ended up having an OOC talk about it breaking the pace of everything.
>>
>>52318733
Still kinda shit. How about "you add this spell to your warlock spells known, and can cast an additional warlock spell per day". Adds to total power without being restricted to only that utility, but gives you the option to rely heavily on utility if needed. I don't think that breaks anything.
>>
File: suckmymagicdick.jpg (85KB, 458x637px) Image search: [Google]
suckmymagicdick.jpg
85KB, 458x637px
>>52318759
>Magicienne
>>
Are mystics balanced? Are they fun?
>>
>>52318860
>Are mystics balanced
In the same sense that any caster MANIFESTER is balanced if your DM knows how to say "No."
>Are they fun
More than anything else.
>>
>>52318860
Genuinely fun, but needs to be toned down a bit. The no component thing needs to be modified with some kind of tell mechanic, and powers seem a tad too good overall for what is basically a half or warlock level caster.
>>
>>52318860
Power level wise, it kinda balance.. still need some polish on some of their ability though (like Darkness should be concentration according to JC).
>>
>>52318884
In past editions, while I don't recall Psions having to make motions or chant words, their powers did create sound and light, so it was obvious that they were doing something (and who/what it was being done to). There may have been some means of suppressing that but it probably would have been an additional check or something.

At any rate, my table has rules that powers do pretty much the same thing. Magic-psionic transparency is on, so you can Counterspell powers and shit doesn't work in an Antimagic Field, and the noisy lightshow means a Mystic can't just stand there and kill everyone in a room one at a time by thinking at them.
>>
>>52318884
Warlock can actually get 9th level spell.
Mystic stuck at 5th level spell.
>>
>>52318933
> counterspell
This actually doesn't work by design choice. That's why Mystic can't counterspell back themselves.

> Antimagic Field
This always work. It's also work on Wildshape and Ki.
>>
>>52318934
Alright, a bit less than a warlock then. Mystics get other fancy goodies that honestly are a fair trade for the warlocks very limited higher level casting.
>>
>>52318933
From 3E:

>Display
>When a power is manifested, a display may accompany the primary effect. This secondary effect may be auditory, material, mental, olfactory, or visual. No power’s display is significant enough to create consequences for the psionic creatures, allies, or opponents during combat. The secondary effect for a power occurs only if the power’s description indicates it. If multiple powers with similar displays are in effect simultaneously, the displays do not necessary become more intense. Instead, the overall display remains much the same, though with minute spikes in intensity. A Psicraft check (DC 10 + 1 per additional power in use) reveals the exact number of simultaneous powers in play.

>Dispense with Displays
>Despite the fact that almost every power has a display, a psionic character can always choose to manifest the power without the flashy accompaniment. To manifest a power without any display (no matter how many displays it might have), a manifester must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the level of the power). This check is part of the action of manifesting the power. If the check is unsuccessful, the power manifests normally with its display.
>Even if a manifester manifests a power without a display, he is still subject to attacks of opportunity in appropriate circumstances. (Of course, another Concentration check can be made as normal to either manifest defensively or maintain the power if attacked.)

>Auditory
>A bass-pitched hum issues from the manifester’s vicinity or in the vicinity of the power’s subject (manifester’s choice), eerily akin to many deep-pitched voices. The sound grows in a second from hardly noticeable to as loud as a shout strident enough to be heard within 100 feet. At the manifester’s option, the instantaneous sound can be so soft that it can be heard only within 15 feet with a successful DC 10 Listen check. Some powers describe unique auditory displays.
>>
>>52318933
Maybe powers from each discipline can have a different tell? Or each power with an individual effect? I don't think every mystic power should be blaring lights and sounds. Not sure how to organize that though.
>>
>>52318978
>>52318933
>Material
>The subject or the area is briefly slicked with a translucent, shimmering substance. The glistening substance evaporates after 1 round regardless of the power’s duration. Sophisticated psions recognize the material as ectoplasmic seepage from the Astral Plane; this substance is completely inert.

>Mental
>A subtle chime rings once in the minds of creatures within 15 feet of either the manifester or the subject (at the manifester’s option). At the manifester’s option, the chime can ring continuously for the power’s duration. Some powers describe unique mental displays.

>Olfactory
>An odd but familiar odor brings to mind a brief mental flash of a long-buried memory. The scent is difficult to pin down, and no two individuals ever describe it the same way. The odor originates from the manifester and spreads to a distance of 20 feet, then fades in less than a second (or lasts for the duration, at the manifester’s option).

>Visual
>The manifester’s eyes burn like points of silver fire while the power remains in effect. A rainbow-flash of light sweeps away from the manifester to a distance of 5 feet and then dissipates, unless a unique visual display is described. This is the case when the Display entry includes “see text,” which means that a visual effect is described somewhere in the text of the power.

That should be a good enough framework for doing what you need to do to make psionics obvious.
>>
>>52318991
Wu Jen shit is really obvious.
Awakened would all be glowing eyes or low-pitched hums.
Avatar probably makes a glowing halo around themselves / their head and an accompanying tone.
Immortal makes the Bionic Man noise.
Nomad goes POP and leaves puddles of ectoplasm everywhere.
>>
File: Auipi77.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Auipi77.gif
1MB, 320x180px
What level spell would you consider Time Stop if it was a guarantee 2 turns?

1d4+1 is 9th.
>>
>>52318947
>Ki
fuck martials am i right
>>
>>52319177
>time stop

its already hilariously overcosted
>>
>>52317842
Level 4: PAM
Level 6: Haste + Freebee

Cast haste on yourself. With Half-Plate you should have (15+2)+2 AC = 19. Use your action to Dodge. Creatures with a +7 to hit have a 20.20% chance to hit you. Use your extra action to attack with a Quarterstaff, then because you used your action to attack, use your bonus action to attack as well.
>>
File: kenlo.gif (3MB, 400x170px) Image search: [Google]
kenlo.gif
3MB, 400x170px
>>52319258
>not using Premium Qi which is unaffected by AMF
>>
>>52319340
if i refluff my Monk as just being a really strong guy can i not be affected by anti-magic field

because if i recall correctly the only argument for AMF working on monks is a single word in the fluff text before the mechanics even start being described
>>
File: Basically_d.png (21KB, 176x232px) Image search: [Google]
Basically_d.png
21KB, 176x232px
>>52319362
See, that single word is important, though. If there were a way around that word, WoC would come out with a bunch of words to replace it.

Also, fuck you. Monks are already too stronk.
>>
>>52318693
My group has a rule, 70-30. 70 percent roleplaying, 30 percent fucking around, that's the max fucking around.
We're role play heavy, so oftentimes someone has got the spotlight and other people will do other shit, we also play on roll20 a lot. Most of the OOC stuff happens in the chat box while role play is happening over voice, and people can balance well enough that nearly everything said aloud is relevant.

That doesn't account for silliness that happens IC, however.
>>
>>52318129
It's sort of hard, true, but not much.
If you see gaining surprise and winning initiative as the whole party getting a free round of attacks, you're rewarded for doing what you would already do anyway.
>>
>>52318978
Seems all the stuff from past editions I see being compared to the most recent mystic stuff is from 3e or 3.5, were mystics not in 4th?
>>
Is BOCanon in the thread? I'm wondering if he saw the lone survivor/psychic war stuff I brought up to him a few threads back.
>>
>>52319464
You don't see a lot of hard rules about how various classes worked coming out of 4E because they all used the same At-Will, Encounter, Daily framework. Whether an effect was a spell (and then, arcane/divine/natural), a sweet martial maneuver (which may have been flavored by arcane magic, divine power, the natural world, or psionics), or some psionic power, it all functioned pretty much the same and was mostly fluff.

As for Psionic classes in 4E:
Ardents were a Psionic Leader (buffs, heals, some melee). They're also currently represented pretty well by Avatar Mystics.
Battleminds were Psionic Defenders (tanks)
Psions were Psionic Controllers (debuffers / status assholes)
Monks were Psionic Strikers (DPS)
>>
>>52319478
I'm here. Where is it?
>>
>>52319522
Nice response, thank you.
>>
>>52319540
C+P
>First of all, I super appreciate the BOC love you're showing. I've got a tattoo of their logo and it's nice to see other fans about.
Second, I'm sure you know the flaming telepaths/psychic wars songs (maybe the whole album?) were created for a discarded segment of the heavy metal movie, so that's a place to start. I've been thinking on incorporating the same stuff for my campaign, but not too hard because we're not anywhere near where it would come into play.
I plan on taking my group into space once they're finished with the current half (island hopping as pirates to help a dragon take down an elder god) and one of the planets they would visit would be a battlefield of a war of psychics, once a cold war that went hot. They'd probably be responding to a strange distress call and find the sole survivor, cursed with second sight- basically extremely hefty survivors guilt, constantly thinking back on certain aspects of the battle/war, and thinking of all the things he could have done differently to avoid wiping out billions of people. Ruined flaming landscape, remains of strange architecture, the interesting stuff for the party would be piecing together the context of the battle from the environment and the survivors ramblings, combat would be creatures/hazards fr leftover psychic energy or else the survivor manifests these key moments and the party fights through his memories made real. Ideally with the party's involvement, the memories will go a different direction from reality and the survivor's guilt will be eased.
>>
>>52318947
>>52319362

It doesn't work on most Ki abilities unless the DM houserules it to be so. Abilities suppressed by AMFs are mentioned as magical in the description of the ability. 99% of the time, they are spells.

That being said, fuck AMFs and fuck people who use them, screwing over monks is no more legitimate than screwing over anyone else.
>>
>>52319573
Nice. I was thinking about the psychic war having been long over, but the residual energies basically suck the party back in time (but not really) and they fight through it within their minds, taking on the roles of actual guys in the war but using all of their own knowledge and skills.

Pretty sure there were a few Star Trek episodes like that. Inner Light (TNG, but no war) and Memorial (Voyager).
>>
>>52317842
play a valor bard instead
>>
>>52319634
Sounds cool. I'm trying to think of details for the scenarios, mostly what's coming to mind are aesthetics. It's looking like low-tech system shock 2, transparent colorful chunks of geometry smashing out of the sky and chopping dudes to bits, the psychic amplifier orbs being used as weapons, and several boss enemies that have their bodies and faces all torn to shit from brain powers.
I guess I'm stuck on "research battles first, then back in time to change outcomes" kind of approach. That strikes me as a good way to give the players clear goals when the landscape is being torn apart. This particular psychic is leading a charge that disrupts defenses and was masking his company's movements with brain shit, better take him out since we know where he's coming from- defending forces converged there too late, and drew reinforcements from a group meant to take out the enemy psychic suicide squad who are coalescing the spirit bomb that wiped everybody out, so let's go kill the elite twelve guys doing that, etc
>>
Does recharge 5-6 mean the ability only recharges/resets on a roll of a 5 or 6 on a d20?
>>
>>52319844
On a d6.
>>
>>52319857
Ah, thanks brah.
>>
>>52316442

Its literally the thing that turns the Warlock from an EB turret to the Debuff King. This item alone gives them a legitimate role in a game and keeps them from being a complete joke
>>
>>52319702
Already answer to that. Valor Bard suck for a Dwarf.
>>
>>52319333
Interesting! Thanks!
>>
>>52319958
Does it? How come? Redundant proficiencies?
>>
>>52319986
He's not just a dwarf, he's a mountain dwarf. Some melee weapons and medium armor from the get go.
>>
Seriously, why is 5e designed to be so constipated? There's so much to like about this edition but every class seems to be balanced around doing almost cool things once every other week, and cantripping/autoattacking creeps the other 99% of the time. I want to like this edition, but this is really killing my fun.
>>
>>52319978
Don't thank me. I'm just forcing a round peg through a square hole.
>>
>>52320002
Make the entire party mystics
>>
>>52320002
Why are you shitposting in every thread?
>>
>>52320004
Seems like a shame to not even use dorf weapons though. Wasn't there an axe feat? Was it shit or something?
>>
>>52320033
>>52320004
Not the guy making the dwarf, BTW.
>>
>>52319986
And the fact that you can't use inspiration on yourself.
>>
File: HobgoblinCap.jpg (660KB, 842x1063px) Image search: [Google]
HobgoblinCap.jpg
660KB, 842x1063px
>+2 con
>+1 int

What are hobgoblins built for?
>>
>>52320081
Mystics
>>
>>52320014
A good idea, and could be a fun party. But why isn't every class on the mystic level?

>>52320024
Complaints aren't shitposting. This is for discussion of 5e, not universal praise. Faggot.
>>
>>52320083
I like this meme.
>>
>>52320081
It's like the mountain dwarf a bit, its stats conflict and its abilities are strong so you can't take advantage of everything at once.
>>
>>52320097
Because the mystic is a little too versatile and strong for 5e, which is designed a little too weak and limited in principle.

We're better off building a new game around mystic mechanics.
>>
>>52320107
It's legit though, con and int is nice for a mystic. The proficiencies are only really there for wizards, though.
>>
>>52320097
Make some actual complaints you shitfister piece of literal shit. Otherwise you're just autistically screeching, but hey, you are a fucking autist.
>>
>>52320081
I could see them making Decent Eldritch Knights Kinda makes Martial training redundant though...
>>
>>52320081
Despite a race that's supposed to make for these warrior juggernauts, they make better wizards than martials.
>>
>>52320125
But why is 5e designed that way to begin with?
>>
>>52320160
Grognards raging at 4e.
>>
>>52320097
Are you discussing or just sperging out? There's a difference. Faggot.
>>
Is there a way to interpret Tiamat's bites as "weapon" attacks? Are "Natural weapons" a thing in 5e?

>Tiamat gets one reaction per any creature's turn, not per round
>each warlord can give one weapon attack, with advantage

I was thinking about having warlords on dargons fly around the battlefield using MARTIAL TELEKINESIS to make Tiamat turn into even more of a blender, but now I'm not sure there's a way to make it work.
>>
File: hobgoblin caster.jpg (143KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
hobgoblin caster.jpg
143KB, 736x981px
>>52320081
>int

wizard

>con

literally any class

>martial weapons and armor

wizard
>>
>>52320190
Her bites are melee weapon attacks, so yes.
>>
>>52320174
Was 3.5e as constipated as 5e is designed to be? I understand why people dislike 4e, even if I think their opinions are based on misconceptions. However 5e seems like an over correction.
>>
>>52320190
> blender
> get one shotted by meme build
>>
>>52320209
More constipated for martials. Fullcaster get all the freedom though which cause stuff like CoDzilla and punpun.
>>
>>52320209
3.5 was swingy, depending if you were a shitter martial or full caster. Not that any of the classes were very interesting, mind, but it tended to break one way or another.
>>
>>52320214
>by using unofficial material inappropriately you can be overpowered

Amazing, tell me about your dandwiki builds, dude.
>>
>>52320209
If you don't want to be constipated, take some fucking laxatives. Or an excess of mints, for your halitosis.

Play some actual games of 5e and stop looking at the classes as is.
>>
>>52320208
Excellent.
>>
>>52320240
Well that's still a problem in 5e. You've got Martial classes who are limited to being above average humans basically, and then only once per hour/day, compared to casters which have unlimited cosmic power.

Instead of pun pun you have the nuclear druid or the warlock smiter. Almost all of the stupid pun pun type builds involve caster classes primarily too.

>>52320265
What do you even mean? I should play 5e, but not play 5e classes? What.
>>
>>52320290
Actually play the game and move your fat ass you turbotard, instead of looking at the classes in a vacuum or going off theorycrafts.
Who the fuck describes games' systems as constipated? Are you a literal retard?
>>
>>52320290
>above average humans

read the fucking DMG you cock.
>>
>>52320290
>compared to casters which have unlimited cosmic power.

They don't, though. They are the weakest they've ever been. People like you would never survive in OSR type games.

>UAshit not intended for multiclassing is sometimes OP when multiclassing

Out of curiosity, why did you even bother posting?
>>
>>52316442

Good, not great. Warlocks are limited to 2 spell slots per short rest, not long rest and a much, much larger part of their class power comes from cantrips and class-based at-will effects, and a lot of their spells are designed to need fewer castings a la Hex.

The real tastiness is the +x bonus, not the slot.
>>
>>52320323
I do play though. We just finished a 1 through 20 campaign last week. The poor warlock player spent twenty levels just casting Eldritch blast over and over again. One player tried to kill his fighter character for 5 sessions before finally asking the DM to respec into a wizard.
>>
>>52320361
>The poor warlock player spent twenty levels
Are you playing games in the locker room of special olympics athletes
>>
>>52320333
>5e casters are the weakest they've ever been.
Hilarious. Clearly you've never played 4e, which is the only edition so far where casters weren't objectively better.
>>
File: josuke.png (77KB, 180x176px) Image search: [Google]
josuke.png
77KB, 180x176px
>>52320361
>1 to 20
>warlock only eldritch blasted instead of using the array of incredibly useful warlock spells
>the fight tried killing his character because he didn't know how to control the flow of battle
>>
>>52320361
I find it hilarious how almost every warlock story on 5e is about dissatisfaction, horrible death, doing something impulsive and getting mangled, not wanting to use EB (Or I Guess the smite things), etc.
>>
>>52320401
>Posts an image of a character impossible to replicate in 5e because flexible, powerful, and fun at will abilities are considered too hard for the average grognard to use.
>>
File: 1443063155382.jpg (36KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
1443063155382.jpg
36KB, 625x625px
>>52320361
>Gee I've been playing the same campaign with the same shitty players with the same shitty characters and a shitty kid glove DM for a fucking aeon, why am I bored of this gamez???????????????????"?"???????????":"??
>>
>>52320393
"Caster" isn't a meaningful distinction in 4e, considering many primal, arcane, and divine people are HitThings 24/7 and lazylords appear to have been very popular.
>>
>>52320361
>>52320290
Are you >>52320002
>>
>>52320441
Magicfags vs manlymen and sneakydicks then. Your semantic argument is ineffective.
>>
>>52320361
That's not playing, that's all of you being retards. Again, actually try playing and roleplaying.
>>
>>52320441
Yeah pretty much every character had caster-like qualities and abilities, which was a big part of it getting that "MMO" label.
>>
>>52320471
*class not character durr
>>
>>52320361
[] Doubt
>>
>>52320466
You're delusional if you think the "auto attack creeps every turn" thing isn't baked into the system. Wizards clerics, sorcs, bards, and druids are the least effected sure, but every class will experience extremely repetitive gameplay as a result of the stupid design.

>>52320471
And? It was finally balanced instead of one side being forced to play paper rock scissors and only ever be allowed to use rock.
>>
>>52320464

>Magicfags vs manlymen and sneakydicks then.

Okay, so you have a plethora of arcane, primal, and divine manlymen and at least some sneakydick divine types, so its not really a meaningful distinction. Likewise, lazylords don't really fit into any of them.

>semantic

No. The closest thing to a 4e class is the warlock (gets fairly close to the 4e allotment of at will/cantrip, encounter/short rest, and daily/long rest), and they're generally agreed to be more remniscent of a martial than a caster.
>>
>>52316262
Gnoll PC race.
>>
>>52320533
>And? It was finally balanced instead of one side being forced to play paper rock scissors and only ever be allowed to use rock.
I wasn't shitting on 4e at all.
>>
>>52320533
>but every class will experience extremely repetitive gameplay as a result of the stupid design.

How did people like you survive in the TSR days?
>>
>>52320560
>this poster being alive in 1995
>>
>>52320324
give me a page number to where it says martials are mechanically not just above average humans
>>
>>52320533
Yet your play experience is an example of complete idiocy and your, the other player's and the DM's fault and not actually the system's. Sure, your experience may be limited and utterly biased if you are fucking retards and don't actually understand what the fuck you're doing.
Watch yourself before you wreck yourself.
>>
>>52316446
I might soon. DMing with a world that has a heavy elemental focus and half the people got the great idea to all be elemental sorcs (+ one favored soul so they can still heal). I don't *think* it'll be a legit thing but I am frightened/excited for the possibilities
>>
>>52320560
I didn't play then. Kindergarten was way more fun than some RPG already outdated in 1990.
>>
>>52320464
>Magicfags vs manlymen and sneakydicks then.

Which category are these guys in?
1. A tactical warlord that never rolls attacks, has low str and high int
2. A strength cleric who hits things with weapons 24/7
3. A charisma paladin
4. An int/wis avenger who HitsThings
5. A battlemind who punches people all day
>>
>>52316460

Idea is fine, you just might need to tweak it a bit for the very low levels. My suggestions are either slightly nerf the worrisome amount of damage for "foot soldier familiar imps" or equip your players with items/blessings that give them more resistance against that specific attack.
>>
>>52320361
How could you try to get a character killed for 5 sessions and not succeed?
>>
>>52320591
He can't. At most he can maybe link some passage that suggests a heroic theme for your adventure, which completely ignores the actual rules for physical feats being designed around sightly above average humans.
>>
>>52320533
No, that's because you fucktards were playing the game as your irl selves, as fucktards. You're the delusional one.
Learn to have an imagination.
>>
>>52320629
He didn't want the DM to know, so his process was running into risky situations.

>>52320638
Yeah fuck you too buddy. Take your non argument and shove it up your ass. My imagination is just fine.
>>
>>52320661
post good game
>>
>>52320661
Then is why everyone calling out the fact you are all fucking retards? Actually learn how the game fucking works before you shoot your goddamn mouth off, you fuckwit. Your imagination is clearly fucking lacking if you think the repetitiveness is the system's and not entirely your fault, you shitfister.
>>
>>52316759
Strength DEX and Int

>>52317965
These sorts of questions continue to amuse me from my multiple zero-straight-people campaigns that I am in.
>>
>>52317273
I recently got level 6 with my lore grab and I grabbed aura of vitality for out of combat healing and counterspell.
Conjure animals are good for 8 fodders for the enemy to attack instead and they can also use the help action to give advantage consistently.
Haste for buffing your melee party member, Slow if you want something more as a hypnotic pattern alternative.
Mirror Image is great if you have low AC (like me) and helps keeps your concentration going.

There's a lot you can grab and >>52317405
already got it down.
>>
>>52320708
Please consider more carefully next time before namefagging.
>>
>>52320685
Burning wheel, 4e.

>inb4 those games aren't as popular therefore they must not be good.

>>52320696
5eidf is a legitimate thing. You people are the list hypersensitive RPG fans currently in existence.

You'd think it's absurd to claim that in a 5eg thread. Of course people will come to is defense. But that's not exactly what happens here. ANY flaw if pointed out, is dismissed. No other fanbase is as blind to legitimate issues with their game as 5eg posters.
>>
>>52320591
>>52320634
fucking learn how to DM instead of being faggot "look at mechanics--WHAT ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO" players. it's not "a passage" that teaches you to make creative encounters for every class.
>>
>>52320752
>Fifth edition, a collection of rules for role-playing is the best collection of rules for role-playing as long as you ignore or change the rules it has for role-playing.
>>
>>52320751
Hahaha, if that's what helps you sleep better at night.
5e has its shit design spaces for definitely fucking sure, but if you think your bias and shitacting has anything to do with the system, you're goddamn delusional and mentally deficient as fuck.
Keep on paint huffing and glue sniffing. And keep inhabitating that safe place.
>>
>>52320795
>>52320752
>>52320751
You guys are all so bad at this.
Stop embarrassing yourselves.
>>
>>52320401
>warlock only eldritch blasted instead of using the array of incredibly useful warlock spells
the warlock spell list is shit
>>
>>52320802
Mmm, that delicious spam.
>>
>>52320751
>ANY flaw if pointed out, is dismissed. No other fanbase is as blind to legitimate issues with their game as 5eg posters.
Nah people just don't like you.
>>
>>52320401
>Incredibly useful warlock spells

Haha.

Hex and?

Every foray he had into casting other spells was met with a passed save or legendary resistance I'm sure it was fun giving up a third of his spellcasting ability to do fucking nothing in a fight.
>>
>>52320751
>>52320802
You're the one whose game got called out as a shitshow. I mean you embarrassed yourself with how shit that game was or is, if it's still running. Please tell me it's not running anymore.
>>
>>52320855
>I totally ran a 1 to 20 campaign guys!
>can't think of any warlock spells except for hex
Stop posting anytime.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170323-022621.png (157KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170323-022621.png
157KB, 1080x1920px
>>52320861
>5e defense force attempted to claim samefag
>5e defense force is never very effective.
>>
>>52320736
right right, fixed
>>
>>52320889
If you paid any attention, you blithering imbecilic piece of excrement, his game was a good example of everything that's wrong with completely terrible DMs and players. He tried to pin the blame on the system, we're all laughing at him.
>>
5e Magic of Incarnum when?

>>52316262
I want some meldshaping classes.
>>
Can a Sorcerer twin Booming Blade? Seems to me like nothing speaks against it.

GFB on the other hand definitely can't be twinned, right?
>>
>>52320871
he didn't even bother to shit on warlocks for being shitty martials. let's get our facts straight here
>>
>>52320933
>it's not the system guys
>nearly every other 5eg has some one complaining about the system being boring.
>>
>>52320959
and warlocks
>>
>>52320949
yep and yep. note that booming blade's triggered effect doesn't stack if you target the same creature both times.
>>
>>52320959
Were they all literal retards? Because it sure sounds like.
>>
>>52320466
>>52320592
>>52320638
>i played from level one to twenty
>no, you're complaining about my system so it doesn't count, that's not playing
>nobody who doesn't like my system has a valid opinion
>you're a fucktarded retard idiot
not even that guy but jesus christ
>>
File: 1406499134442.jpg (157KB, 586x800px) Image search: [Google]
1406499134442.jpg
157KB, 586x800px
>>52320855
Hold Person
Phantasmal Force
Hypnotic Pattern
Counterspell
Fireball
Banishment
Hold Monster

Or you want things with no save?
Sleep
Darkness
Invisibility
Polymorph
Conjure Elemental
Greater Invisibility
Foresight

Plus the at-wills like Silent Image, Disguise Self, Levitate, etc.

And rituals if you went Pact of the Tome.
>>
>>52320949
>>52320977
whoops, that only matters for quickening, which you can do with both spells
>>
>>52321032
>he thinks any of those are good when you have 0 spell slots and you always have to cast at highest level and half of them dont scale

also almost all 6-9 warlock spells suck ass
>>
>>52321018
That for me is when it transitioned from "I don't agree with your words" to "I don't believe you are even remotely telling or trying to tell the truth"
>>
>>52321018
What, you delusional fuck. The complaint about the system isn't the issue, the fact his game was so utterly and excruciatingly shit and he tried to blame the system for his cock up.
Pay attention, you autistic mouthbreathing retard.

>>52321051
If your game is really like that, you need all the help you can get. Help to cure your delusions for one.
>>
>>52321049
>he thinks that having all slots at your highest level counts as a bad thing
>he thinks foresight and true polymorph are bad
Well guys looks like we can pack up and head home.
>>52321055 here can stop embarrassing himself too.
>>
>>52316182

>sorcerer least popular of the non-UA classes

at least now I can tell myself I'm special for liking them
>>
>>52317456

why are there never half-dwarves

also half-halflings
>>
>>52321106
You either sent the (You) on that second one to the wrong human or there's some major miscommunication going on here
>>
>>52320548
Man, going by fluff I see why that isn't suitable as a race. But of course one can have different fluff. I'll work on that.

>>52320934
Not sure what that's about. Details?
>>
>>52321134
Half-dwarves are called Muls. They're in Dark Sun.
>>
>>52321134
Muls are a thing. I'll work on a half-halfling, if you give me a name for them that has nothing to do with Tolkien or fractions.
>>
>>52320974
Imo warlocks are actually close to being the exemplar for all classes. The numbers are incredibly off (which makes for the shitty experience playing one), but the fundamentals underlying their class design are great.

Warlocks get more customization options than anyone with their invocations, and plenty of invocations can be used at will, or creatively. The problem is that this is rarely as good as just casting eldritch blast, which also has its own invocations. If you tweak those numbers around, add some worthwhile invocations, etc, probably toss a 5th spell slot their way, warlocks would be incredibly fun and good.

There are some other problems too. Martials are fucked. They only get to play with 2/3rds of the game, and suffer serious utility issues as a result. The rules for them limit them to above average human, and bad dms, of which there are many, limit them to average human. Being based mostly on short rests doesn't fucking matter when most game groups play with one to two encounters per day (and anyone who uses the suggested six to eight encounters per day is insane).

Martials also have a lot of pointless punishing mechanics built into their design. Take the berserker barbarian. You just know mearls was writing that one up, cackling to himself "how utterly realistic! A man that can briefly fight incredibly hard, but suffers extreme fatigue afterwards. Now crawford, how is work coming on those people who can turn into bears in order to survive magical fireballs cast by the master class?".

Also, fighters used to be cool in the playtest with lots of interesting options in any given turn thanks to the Martial dice. Any serious attempt at fixing 5e would bring that back.

And 5e is worth fixing. The framework it presents is good. It really has the most potential of any edition of dnd.
It's between them and mystics.
>>
>>52321159
Lilbastads
>>
>>52321134
Isn't it impossible for humans and halfings to get children?
>>
>>52321182
I'd play it
>>
>>52321187
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>52321159
if you won't allow them to be called three-quarterlings then why bother
>>
What about hybrids of nonhuman races? Like elf/gnome or dwarf/orc or the tiefling/aasimar/genasi equivalent of other races
>>
>>52321165
6-8 encounters in a day is more reasonable for a proper dungeon crawl, but not everyone is always gonna be doing that.

Besides the berserker I don't think martials are punished by their own abilities. And while this is just homebrew it's super easy to fix the berserker.
>>
>>52321197
Others can call them that. They need a proper name for themselves.

>>52321182
Almost.
>>
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/editor.html

Just pushed out two utility pages that have sort of existed but now are proper. One is a stat block to JSON converter (for inputting monster data faster) and the other is a WYSIWYG editor intended for making entries for the Rules page. This way people looking to help out through data entry and formatting can do so more easily (through the normal Github means).

Those who get what they're for will find them useful, everyone else won't.
>>
>>52321187
>>52321195
I mean if you're playing a setting that doesn't even mention them existing, then yeah, it's probably because they can't. But there's a little part of the DMG that is about making custom races so if you want to make them a reality no one's gonna stop you. It just has a high probability of being faggy like any homebrew
>>
OK I got a name for half-halflings: Bantam. Thank you thesaurus.
>>
>>52321223

It's not like they'd have their own community,right? They'd be living amongst humans and halflings mostly, I'd imagine.
>>
>>52321148
Magic of Incarnum is one of the books from 3.5e- Generally, a meldshaper class gets a list of what's called 'soulmelds'- essentially, near-permanent buffs that they can grant themselves. A Soulmeld is 'shaped' in the morning, as spells are prepared, and that soulmeld affects the meldshaper until it's unshaped, taking up one of their soulmeld slots until then- which can be never, if the meldshaper doesn't feel like it.

Then they have Essentia. Essentia is basically a 'magic battery' that a meldshaper gets. Stuff more essentia into your flashlight soulmeld, it's shinier. But if you suddenly need to change the channel, you spend a swift action to take the essentia out of the flashlight and into the remote control soulmeld. Essentia isn't spent like a resource, only temporarily stored.

Finally, if you're willing to skip getting a magic item in that slot, you can instead bind a soulmeld to a chakra, filling that slot's magic item for a secondary effect that can be way cooler than the rest of the soulmeld.

A good example for is the Crystal Helm. In 3.5, Crystal Helm gives you a +2 to your will saves while it's shaped. Then for each point of essentia, you get a +1 to your Deflection bonus. And finally, when you unlock the 'Crown' (head slot) chakra, you can bind it so that all of your melee attacks have the force descriptor. Some soulmelds have a second chakra bind, so you'd have to choose between Crown or Arms or whatever.

Of course, with 5e making magic items a significantly bigger deal, the chakra system needs to be reworked a bit.

The way I envision it, the three 'paths' of the meldshaper class would be the three meldshaping classes from 3.5- an Incarnate, who's more on the spellcaster side of things and would get a higher maximum essentia cap on their soulmelds. A Totemist, who gets the unique 'totem' chakra they can bind. And the Soulborn gets... uh... It's actually just kinda bad. Maybe give it some unique soulmelds?
>>
>>52321289
That seems significantly more complex than would work in 5e. Needs heavy reworking, and even then, doesn't seem worth it.
>>
>>52321107
The only embarrassment is you and your embarrassment of a game.
>>
>>52321343
Yeaaah. I just wish meldshaping got more love. And I'm not familiar enough with 5e to do it myself.
>>
>>52316442
Why's everyone ignoring the +spell DC? That's kinda a big deal in itself.
>>
>optional fluff, take or leave:

Hygnolls (Cleansed Gnolls)
>A variant of gnoll cleansed by the long term pervasive influence of surviving in a sacred land, these beastial looking creatures have been partially freed of the taint of their demonic origins. In mind and body, they are far less the monster than those of their heritage. Regardless, few are naturally pleasant folk or much civilized.

Stat modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet/round

Natural weapons: A Hygnoll may make a natural attack using a claw (with a free hand) or bite. The claw attack deals 1d6 slashing damage, and the bite deals 1d4 piercing damage.

Carnivorous: A Hygnoll suffers no ill effects for eating uncooked meat, and usually prefer to. Avoiding eating intelligent beings doesn't come naturally.

Beastly Countenance: a Hygnoll has proficiency in intimidation, and may always use its strength modifier in place of his charisma modifier. If both strength and charisma are positive modifiers, they may add both to the result.

Rampage: Once per short test, after reducing a target to 0 Hp after a melee attack during its turn, a Hygnoll may move up to half its speed and make a melee attack as a bonus action.

>>52321289
Huh. Sounds like a warlock, with a focus on their particular variant of invocations. What do their spells look like?

Mind you, this is sounding like a fair conversion would also be too much bullshit to squeeze into 5e. It'd have to be pared down. I'm sorta game for it, but I'll have to come back to it later.
>>
>>52320591
>>52320634
I definitely prefer the S&S idea that martials are essentially just heroic, not superheroic. The Vitality system is great for meat point fags.
>>
>>52321575
They don't get any spells. They can gain spell-like abilities by shaping particular soulmelds. They're not exactly spellcasters, in that they don't really have limits on casts per day.

But still, here's some spontaneous examples.

>Dissolving Spittle [Acid]
>Chakra: Throat
>Effect: As a standard action, you can spit a glob of acid at a target within 30 feet. This requires a ranged touch attack to hit and deals 1d6 points of acid damage.
>Essentia: Each point of essentia you invest in your dissolving spittle increases the damage dealt by 1d6 points.
>Bind (Throat): When you use your ability to spit acid at an opponent, the target takes normal damage in the round you spit acid. You also roll again for damage 1 round later.

So what an incarnate would do is shape Dissolving Spittle at the start of the day, and from then on out they can spit acid for 1d6 points of damage. If they put Essentia into it, they can increase the damage dealt. And if they have the Throat Bind unlocked, and they decide to bind it when they shape the meld, then they get the Binding effect.

>Airstep Sandals
>Chakra: Feet
>Effect: While worn, the airstep sandals allow you to fly up to 10 feet (good maneuverability) as a move action once per round. You must end the flight solidly supported or you fall.
>Essentia: Each point of essentia you invest in your Airstep Sandals increases the distance you can fly by 10 feet.
>Bind (Feet): You can now fly with perfect maneuverability.

>Bluesteel Bracers
>Chakra: Arms
>Effect: While you wear your Bluesteel Bracers, you gain a +2 insight bonus on initiative checks
>Essentia: For each point of essentia invested in Bluesteel Bracers, you gain a +1 insight bonus on weapon damage rolls
>Bind (Arms): All allies within 30 feet of you when initiative is rolled gain the +2 bonus on initiative granted by this soulmeld.
>>
>>52321165
>utility

if anyone ACTUALLY gave a shit about utility, instead of ONLY bringing up utility to whine and bitch about, ritual caster would be mentioned every thread or at least the spells therein. The only time its not relevant is if all classes are covered.

>b-but I want to scout for 300 feet through solid walls by FLEXING MY MUSCLES
>>
>>52321187
>>52321235

Not exactly the same thing, but I am 99% sure the reason tallfellows and stouts exist and are found with elves and dwarves is crossbreeding.
>>
>>52321206
x/orc is just a half orc, or full orc. Half orcs don't have to be half human, at all.
>>
>>52321728
So, for example, let's say a level 2 Meldshaper shapes all three of these. He can technically pick out of all available soulmelds for his class, but he can only pick three of them.

However, he only has two essentia, only has the Crown chakra unlocked, and can only put a maximum of 1 point into a soulmeld. Which means that none of these he can bind, so the bind effects aren't really important.

Because he has Dissolving Spittle, he doesn't really need the weapon damage boost from the bracers, so he puts 1 point into Dissolving Spittle and Airstep Sandals, for a result of:

>Spittle: 2d6 damage
>Airstep: 20 ft. range
>Bluesteel: +2 Init.

So he's in a fight, using the sandals to fly away and the spittle to attack from range. But then a gobbo charges him. Now, he's pretty solidly mediocre in a fight... But with a single swift action, he can make himself more effective. He takes 1 essentia out of spittle, and puts it into Bluesteel, for:

>Spittle: 1d6 damage
>Airstep: 20 ft. range
>Bluesteel: +2 init, +1 weapon damage.

Then he can club the goblin over the head with a stick for slightly more damage. But if, that morning, he decided he wanted to be a real combat monster, he could replace the Spittle with Crystal Helm for an AC boost, and Airstep Sandals Incarnate Weapon for a true damage boost, changing from a 'hit and run' style to a more 'sword and board' style.

Now, that's how it works in 3.5. A Meldshaper essentially trades buffs around and customizes them each day. One day, he can be giving his lifeforce away and examining ancient runes, while the next he could be standing in front with armor made of soulstuff protecting him.

The more I study the classes for 5e, though, the more I think I could try making the Meldshaper for it... Since I'm probably the only one that really cares.
>>
>>52321834
I liked Incarnum in 3e, but more for dabbling (incarnum spells & monsters mainly).
>>
What's the most unkillable motherfucker you can make in 5e (including multiclassing UA content)?

Off the top of my head

>Dwarf Revenant (+3 CON, HP regen, poison resist, respawns built into race)
>Shadow Sorc 1- "Whenever damage reduces you to 0 hit points, you can make a Constitution saving throw (DC 5 + the damage taken). On a success, you instead drop to 1 hit point. You cannot use this feature if you are reduced to 0 hit points by radiant damage or by a critical hit."
>Long Death 11- "Beginning at 11th level, you use your familiarity with death to escape its grasp. When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you can expend 1 ki point (no action required) to have 1 hit point instead."

>Every time you get hit to 0 you roll a die to see if you actually get KOd
>If you do spend a ki (you have 11) to stay at 1 hp
>In the unlikely event you do get knocked down you get up again on your turn because lel revenant
>>
So after much trepidation I have decided to get over my disdain for official module based D&Ding and to run my first 5e game in Roll20, anyone interested in a HotDQ->SKT->RoT inspired campaign?
>>
>>52321938
More details or are sticking 100% to the book?
>>
>>52321929
The zombie resilience thing is fuckin awesome on a PC, but pretty weird for sorcerers to get irst.
>>
>>52321929
Oh and I forgot, if you include level 20 abilities-

>Any kind of race that doesn't need to sleep Zealot Barb at level 20 becomes functionally immortal by the power of DIVINE RAGE
>>
>>52321945

Definitely inspired by the modules and hewing to the more exciting (to me) elements, but stuff like encounters, dungeons, NPCs, etc. may be different.
>>
>>52321753
>play anima
>scout for anything upwards to one mile by flexing my muscles
Hahaha
>>
>>52322001
>play anima
>summon what the fuck ever, have about 4-5 PC tier minions at once despite low zeon regen
>have ghosts scout for me by flexing muscles

Hahaha
>>
>>52320959
Not sure if retarded or trolling. Every system will have people complaining that it is boring and these people are usually not good at roleplaying or don't see that a system only provides a base for the DM to build his world, encounters and so on. So it's either retarded, unimaginative people or bad DMs. Either way, your arguments are plain stupid.
>>
>>52321929
Level 16 barb zealot 15 and 1 mystic immortal.
>>
Can you use Minor Alchemy to turn a part of stone door or wall into wood and break it?
>>
>>52322047
You forgot
>guys wait for me a month i am going to summon a demon! Its gonna b sick and shit
>HELP TECHNICIAN HELP, DEMON WANTS TO RAPE ME I DUMPED BANISH.
>technician summons his demonbuddies by flexing his manly muscles
>>
>>52321253
Actually that's exactly what I was going with. Fluff can vary, of course.

Human/Halfling hybrids: the Bantam

>Previously thought to be incompatible, a tribe of people, their blood crossed from humans and halflings once appeared from a distant land. They were silent on their origins, save that they were long under some form of servitude, and eventually earned their freedom. Lithe and stalwart, they do are a resilient folk who all their heritage proud.

>A bamtam may have children with a human or a halfling and give birth to another bantam, who may be slightly larger or smaller than normal. It is thought they can be eventually absorbed back into either parent race, but this has not happened in their short time back in the world at large, and seem resistant to losing their identity in such a way.

Ability modifiers: +1 Dexterity and +1 to any other one ability score.
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet

Lithe Survivor: So long as a bantam is not in heavy armor and can move, they receive a +1 bonus to AC and dexterity saves.

Gumption: Once per short rest, a bantam can declare a single attack roll, saving throw or check and receive advantage on that roll, and if they would otherwise be at disadvantage this roll is still made at advantage.

Quick Learner: A bantam gains proficiency in any one additional skill. In addition, if allowed to learn an additional skill or language the time needed to do so is halved.

Powers are a tad strong, but I feel it makes up for the poor stats.
>>
File: 35-moonfire2.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
35-moonfire2.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
What rarity should this be?
Also help me word it not so retarded.

>Granite Longsword (Name pending)
>1d8 Slashing damage, 1d4 Fire damage
>Versatile (1d10), Heavy, Special
>Class restriction- Life Cleric (Life Clerics are proficient with this weapon even if they lack Longsword proficiency)
>Lunar Blessing-
>Duration: 5 minutes
>having 0 hit points doesn’t knock you unconscious. You still must make death saving throws, and you suffer the normal effects of taking damage while at 0 hit points. However, if you would die due to failing death saving throws, you don’t die until the blessing ends.
>>
>>52322185
Oh forgot, probably make Lunar Blessing 1/long rest.
>>
>>52322185
What an awkward and hard to rate magic item -- you can't lose a fight due to HP damage, but it is offensively, at best, a +1 weapon.
>>
Is shield master valor bard legit? Expertise on athletic?
>>
>>52322168
On second thought, gumption should be 1/long rest.

>>52321575
And make this Focused Rampage, to distinguish from the regular gnoll ability

>obligatory begging for critiques
>>
File: 37-truth43.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
37-truth43.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
>>52322185
Man gods are dicks in Drakengard.

Although it'd probably be more accurate to say EVERYONE is a dick.
>>
>>52322469
Dikkinguard
>>
New thread >>52322564
>>52322564
>>52322564
>>52322564
>>
What's the best way to stat a war mage/ red wizard?
I'm thinking pumping int/ con, Vhuman with Fighter 1/ evocation wizard x for heavy armour, defence fighting style with shield and war caster feat.
Or Fighter 5 for extra attack and and battlemaster manoeuvres, but loose out on the 9th level spell.

What spells should I take? I'm thinking a mix of damage dealing, defence and mobility.
>>
>>52322838
Thing is that I don't get heavy armor. I was hoping to be at, or near the frontline and high AC would be nice given how squishy the wiazrd is.
>>
>>52321753
Nigga, where is that list of heroic figures throughout myth and legend. One of them shoots a guy beyond the horizon. You can't do that without having some serious muscle based sensory organs.

Just call it uncanny senses or something, and let the martials have it.
>>
>>52320081
Melee Wizards > Melee Mystics > Non-Melee Mystics/Wizards > EK > Arcane Trickster > Any Martial > Anyone

2 Con is great, Int can be useful and the martial weapons can be useful for anyone without martial proficiency
>>
>>52321159
Manlets
Thread posts: 356
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.