[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RACIAL BUDDIES.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Khans-of-Tarkir-artwork-02.jpg (121KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
Khans-of-Tarkir-artwork-02.jpg
121KB, 700x500px
You get lots of stereotypes of certain races teaming up, and sharing civilizations.
>Orcs and Goblins
>Dwarves and Humans
>Elves and Fae
What are some great combos like these? What would be their symbiotics? What are some duos youd love to see more of??
Whos YOUR buddy race?
>>
File: 1674.jpg (56KB, 800x612px) Image search: [Google]
1674.jpg
56KB, 800x612px
Never have really given it much thought, but I like the concept of racial buddies. One example I know of is in Savage World's primary space supplement (Last Parsec) where the cat people have a special bond with the plant people, since the latter are afraid of herbivores and the cat people have no issue with adopting carnivorous diets (and thus hunting the plant people's predators). I can imagine the smells and scents of a flower-rich world would also be pleasurable to a cat.
>>
>>52309526
I've been working on a space setting where one of the defining alliances is that humans get on with the pack-carnivore race far better than the herd-herbivore race. The herbivores view any killing for sustenance as abominable, while a fully carnivorous species might just behave like slightly more violent humans, as they understand the necessity of death.
>>
>>52309602
Timid ass herbivores, i spit on them!
>>
>>52309072
"Civilized" Gnolls, Halflings, and Humans.

As a species, Gnolls are very populous and they kick ass when fighting; they'd probably conquer the world if they ever united. Thing is, Gnolls are fundamentally lazy, and conquering the world take work.
So lazy, in fact, that a large population of Gnolls have become "civilized" after they discovered the joys of booze and gourmet food from trading with Humans and Halflings. Now they're basically a race of stereotypically-French hyena people; they put emphasis on leasure, they make gourmet food out of disgusting shit like snails and corpses, and they have a tendency of surrendering pretty quickly.
>>
>>52309072
Humans and the bones of dead xenos.
>>
>>52309602
I suddenly remember a scifi book I read as a kid where IIRC humans, some kind of space tyrannosaurs and intelligent space trees fought against some galactic army of something I forgot.

I dunno what it was about exactly, but your post reminded me of it.
>>
>>52309072
I like Gripplis and Gnolls.
>>
>>52309072

It's against the usual stereotype, but I always thought elf-dwarf team ups should work pretty well given they're both old curmudgeon races who think humans are stupid children.
>>
>>52309072
Goblins and dwarves
>>
>>52309072
Well in my stone age setting, it's orcs and humans (can cross-breed and live in the same area), though it tends to vary from tribe to tribe. Most tribes are by default wary of each other, but some are allies, and some are even completely mixed. Orcs bring strength, humans bring ingenuity, together they spit on the centaurs who hate them both. The best mixed tribes have orc warriors, human crafters and herders, and half-orc diplomats.

Gnomes are allied with elementals and fae, and they're all a bunch of xenophobes against everybody else. Gnomes leave offerings for the others and tend to the places they live in, and when they ask, faes kill every stranger who enters their territory. Then they all dance naked in the woods. I guess my gnomes are something like jerkass mini-wild elves.
>>
>>52309072
One that always amused me was this little tidbit in the old Ogre book for Warhammer about a bunch of ogres teaming up with halflings.

In that universe, the defining trait of Ogres is that they are always hungry (even to the point of their deity being a giant mouth) and usually the only other race that can get along with them is a sub-type of goblins that are too scrawny to be good eating.

But then they had this little aside about one particular tribe that had overrun a halfling village, and before eating everybody had discovered that they were very good cooks. So instead of eating them, they enslaved the entire halfling population and, fast forward to the present, basically every ogre in this tribe is a gourmand with a personal halfling chef.
>>
>>52310846
hellyeah, thats why maneaters are all too happy to work for the Moots
>>
>>52309072
>What are some duos youd love to see more of??
Humans and orcs, specially I would like to see that for a non-evil non-savage nation.
>>
>>52310000
>I suddenly remember a scifi book I read as a kid where IIRC humans, some kind of space tyrannosaurs and intelligent space trees fought against some galactic army of something I forgot.

Wasn't it the series where the four factions were vaguely analogous to the classic four elements of Air, Water, Earth, and Fire?

The humans were the water because they were like comet miners or something, the trees were the earth, some aliens were the air, and the bad guy aliens were the fire.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
>>
File: 1438702360131.png (40KB, 206x164px) Image search: [Google]
1438702360131.png
40KB, 206x164px
>>52309072
>Humans and halflings/gnomes
Probably the same logic as the orc and goblin pair. I imagine that halflings/gnomes (they're the same fucking thing!), being weak but creative, would fulfill a "Jew-like" role in human society. They're outsiders with no real place to go that seek protection among humans and are still kind of ostracized, but find a niche in banking and moneylending, or maybe they can push their creativity towards engineering. Major human cities might even have a dedicated gnomish district.

>Humans and orcs
I like this one too, because I can imagine that both races would come to begrudgingly respect eachother. Especially the orcs, being (often depicted as) a warlike race, would eventually learn to respect the frail, tiny humans and how they use machines, smithing and strategy to overcome enemies much greater and more powerful than themselves. I imagine they'd also find humans more approachable than for example the stuck-up elves, as fantasy humans tend to be rather "generic" (and as a result usually more accepting of outside influences).

>Dragons and [insert tiny, humanoid race which may or may not have cat ears here]
I just love the idea of some incredibly innocent and naive race that's way too weak and trusting to survive in the outside world surviving in an isolated part of the world, under the watchful eye of an ancient dragon. The dragon would probably be older than most mortal races, blind and generally tired. He'd probably have his best years behind him and just want to eat, sleep, stretch his legs from time to time and generally be left alone. The generic, cute race would probably bring him food from time to time and not be too noisy, and probably enjoy living around him because face it: nobody's going to mess with a massive dragon who may or may not have the ability to partially undo creation itself. It's basically the "big, strong guy and small, cute guy" duo extended to an entire civilization.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.