[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pauper magic / mtg pauper thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 32

File: falknob.png (124KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
falknob.png
124KB, 223x311px
Aristocrats edition.

With the recent changes in rarity brought about by MM3, I'm tinkering with the following list:

2 bloodthrone vampire
4 carrion feeder
4 falkenrath noble
2 gurmag angler
4 mogg war marshal
4 mortician beetle

3 chainer's edict
2 innocent blood
2 night's whisper
3 reckless abandon
3 unearth
4 wrangle

1 fling
3 tragic slip

4 bloodfell caves
4 evolving wilds
4 mountain
7 swamp

the idea here is that edicts and sacrifice outlets pump the beetle, which doesn't fight over counters with carrion feeder. Wrangle steals stuff, and then you can eat it, or throw at their face with reckless abandon.

What else are you guys playing in pauper? Discuss.
>>
>>52291117
I'm building Temur Tron.

Do you think maybe you're running too many payoff cards? That playset of Mortician Beetle feels like it should be an either/or with Falkenrath Noble, and replace with some degree of Beetleback Chief.
>>
>>52291502
not sure. I'm running quite a few sac outlets, not counting edicts, and war marshal when you don't pay the echo.

I'll try to squeeze in a couple of beetlebacks.
Falkenrath noble basically takes the role of falkenrath aristocrat and blood artist from the original aristocrats.
>>
>>52291502

speaking of temur tron, here's a list I'm running at the moment:

2 acomplished automaton
2 mnemonic wall
1 mulldrifter
3 sea gate oracle
1 ulamog's crusher
3 wretched gryff

4 ancient stirrings
1 compulsive research
4 flame slash
2 rolling thunder

1 capsize
3 condescend
1 lightning bolt
2 pulse of murasa
1 scour from existence

4 expedition map
4 prophetic prism

2 haunted fengraf
2 rugged highlands
4 swiftwater cliffs
1 unknown shores
4 urza's mine
4 urza's power plant
4 urza's tower
>>
File: Image-51.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-51.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
Sup guys.
So has anyone seen any red green things now that we have BTE?
Also, could magma jet be a one or two of in izzet blitz? Or is that deck pretty much figured out?
>>
>>52293556
>BTE

not yet - MM3 goes online on the 23rd.

Best I have is my old UG threshold running 3 BTE and 3 firebolts as a test.

As for magma jet - not in izzet blitz. 2 mana vs 1 mana when you are trying to cast multiple spells in one turn is a big difference - same as wee dragonauts only getting +2/+0.

It's pretty much figured out, though i'm playing with the idea of splashing black off of 4 crumbling vestiges for tainted strike, but can't get it to work, really.
>>
What's it like playing dredge? I play manaless dredge in Legacy and looking at the lists online, the pauper version still looks pretty fun. Some key pieces are missing and the payoff doesn't seem fast or big enough.
>>
File: IMG_5456.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5456.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>52291502
>>52293388
D-did I do good, guys?

t. Jund player
>>
>>52293758
supposedly, it's kind of goofy. I haven't tried that deck desu.

I have a RG infect for when i'm feeling brainless that's capable of random T2 wins, and can easily lethal T3 with no interaction from the opponent, but probably still needs a bit of tuning. Here's the list if anyone's interested:

4 glistener elf
3 blight mamba
4 ichorclaw myr
4 rot wolf

4 assault strobe
4 reckless charge

4 groundswell
4 mutagenic growth
4 vines of vastwood

3 madcap skills
4 rancor

11 forest
7 mountain

turn one glistener threatens a t2 kill with strobe and groundswell/rancor+mutagenic.

Even a t2 mamba/myr that's dealt with immediately, can still end in a t2 win via glistener, mutagenic, strobe and charge (a bit random, that, but it happens).

Mamba for a bit or resilience thanks to regen.
>>
File: PauperRGTron 002.jpg (847KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
PauperRGTron 002.jpg
847KB, 2304x1728px
>>52293963
I wish I had all-matching art on my tron, and black border...
>>
>>52293963

nice. I got one 8e tower that's driving me absolutely mental (besides just having the same illustration on all the rest).

I have all 3 Order of the Ebon Hand in my mono black blink though (Rush and Spencer are the best).
>>
>>52293698
Weak. Maybe expedite?
Anyways I've tried making the tainted strike combo as well. Got it off once, then went back to u/r.
>>
>>52294009
>>52294027
I dunno, all I recall as a Jund player in Modern is that ALL my Tron opponents ALWAYS use all-different Tron lands, with some in Russian and Japanese. I just assumed all Tron players did that to throw the opponent off over which land they're supposed to blow up. Like Zebras in a herd.
>>
>>52294100
well you can always ask which land is which. I thought they just did it to show off.
>>
>>52294100
I have all eighth edition lands. Discard and hand disruption is played pretty heavily in my meta, so being able to mask that information helps out occasionally
>>
>>52294126

desu, even with netdecking, there are like 12+ highly competetive archetypes.
>>
>>52294126
Some of us want to play a tight, high level game of Legacy on a budget, that's how we enjoy playing Magic. What are you complaining about, you have plenty of room to homebrew here, just treat us like performance checks for your deck if you're so interested in brewing something "competitive".

The very nature of competition is that the best decks rise to the top so people will copy them and use them frequently.

To that end, Pauper IS a great format because you can easily slap a brew together, quickly play against the best decks and iterate until you're happy with your brew.
>>
>>52294126
>Where is the originality?
It depends on your play group.
Some decks are powerful, but that doesn't make them fun.
>>
File: SuwakoSanae.jpg (179KB, 540x666px) Image search: [Google]
SuwakoSanae.jpg
179KB, 540x666px
>>52294126
>Where is the originality?
>Suicide Black

lol
>>
>>52294126
Switching to noble did a lot for my groups originality.
>>
File: Precure_Nothanks.png (403KB, 600x446px) Image search: [Google]
Precure_Nothanks.png
403KB, 600x446px
>>52294324
>EDH with different flavor of autism
>>
>>52294324
Is that the one where none of the cards can exceed 2~3 bucks on tcgplayer?
>>
>>52294126
my playgroup just put a 30$ limit.
seems to be fine.
>>
File: suwako2.jpg (34KB, 358x398px) Image search: [Google]
suwako2.jpg
34KB, 358x398px
>>52294384
you do realise people have been playing Carnophage in SuiBlack since it was printed?
>>
>>52294384
>20% of the meta is rogue

I don't think you know how lucky you are kiddo.
>>
>>52294366
Wouldn't know never played edh.

Guaranteeing a single rare card "in hand" can make for a lot of interesting permutations.

>>52294374
It's pauper +4 uncommons and 1 rare starting in the command zone.
>>
>>52294419
Don't think I've ever paid more then $10 for a pauper deck.
>>
File: Image.jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>52291117
>2 bloodthrone vampire

I really hate how you can't use vampire aristocrat, in the aristocrat deck.
>>
>>52294738
>>52294842
I guess he means that it's just not very good compared to Bloodthrone Vampire?
>>
>>52294842
He meant to say it was inefficient compared to Bloodthrone.
>>
>>52295561
I don't think there's enough artifacts to justify Atog.
>>
File: april19.png (52KB, 605x320px) Image search: [Google]
april19.png
52KB, 605x320px
And to the surprise of nobody, Wizards fucks up again.
>>
File: [severe pain].png (53KB, 130x181px) Image search: [Google]
[severe pain].png
53KB, 130x181px
>>52295793
HOW

HOW DO YOU BEEF IT LIKE THAT?
>>
I was posting in the last thread about building RG Landfall and came up with a rough list.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-03-17-rg-landfall/
It turned out more tempo than I was expecting going into it. Honorable mentions goes out to adventuring gear, which I'll try in a more aggressive list.
>>
>>52295680
I'd say 10 artifacts is enough to justify 2 atogs, or at least 1.
>>
>>52296475
Heh thanks for catching the typo.
>>
>>52295898
Oh god that card, Im having a stupid urge to put that creature in a tron variant.
>>
>>52293758
The tortured existence decks are probably the closest you'll get. Recurring gurmag angler is the payoff, gnaw to the bone is a thrashing vs aggro decks.
>>
File: there will always be someone.jpg (93KB, 647x383px) Image search: [Google]
there will always be someone.jpg
93KB, 647x383px
>>52294126
Calm your farm mate. Where are you finding this deck homogeneity? If it's in person, maybe people want to stick with the decks they already know/own. If online, I don't really know what to tell you, it's still an incredibly diverse format focused on deck synergy, which is very different from Standard's battleship magic.

I'd also like to see your LD and Walls decks if you've got a list handy. I've tried building RG LD and haven't had much luck so far.
>>
>>52296417
Mate you are running only 11 creatures, 3 which you are never casting. For an aggro deck, thats absurdly low. 24 lands in a deck with 2 as the highest manacost is also insane. Yeah you want to play lands, but this way you will end up ramping to nowhere.

Get more creatures in there and cut some lands or have something to do with them midgame/lategame.
>>
>>52295561
Oh I like that. I like that a lot. Have you tried a Springleaf Drum/0drops package? Could synergize with Atog. Not sure what I'd take out for it though.
>>
>>52296990
Seconding this. I haven't built a RG landfall deck without 4 snapping gnarlid. Valakut predator goes alright too. Overall I prefer the aggressive variants with kird ape and maybe nacatl.

Singleton sejiri steppe for use with crop rotation is fun. Singleton plains is also a good idea if you're running nacatl, but that can give some awkward hands.

I love Krosan Tusker as a card, but it feels too slow here. Landfall is mainly a beatdown deck, tusker is an attrition card. Similarly Explore and Rampant Growth don't develop the creature base you would ideally be putting down turn 2-3, and only give one additional landfall trigger for the casting cost (vs the expedition giving 2 for no mana when you activate it, or crop rotation giving 2 by getting a fetch)

1 or 2 Hooting Mandrills feels right. Gives you some game if they remove your initial rush of landfall creatures.

Harrow is a card to consider. I probably wouldn't run it before 4 copies of Crop Rotation, but 2 untapped basics can lead to some shenanigans, especially with temur battle rage.
>>
>>52297300
also forgot- a gruul turf is fine too, it's not fancy but by hitting itself it can be a landfall trigger each turn.

>>52297144
You make some cool decks. I get what you mean about jund vs temur walls, using axebane/battlement to pump out mana for fatties feels more appealing than trying to assemble the combo. I might try a temur version that tries to power out mulldrifter/aurochs/gryff/crusher. Possibly with a fierce empath toolbox.

Some way to gain life would be a nice fit for either of those, and I wonder how shield sphere from your other list would go, to stop the bleeding early.
>>
>>52297144
>complaining about diversity
>in motherfucking pauper
Sempai have you seen standard? 2.5 top tier decks. And thats being generous. Pauper? Over 10 top tier archetypes, all with different play styles. Aggro, midrange, combo, control. We have them all.

>netdecking

I think you don't understand netdecking.

Competitive players enjoy coming up with gameplans against a healthy variety of powerful decks. The best way to do this is with another powerful decks. Having a personal list is awesome, but not everyone is a brilliant brewer. Being a skillful player doesnt mean knowing how to build a deck, just how to pilot one.

Enter netdecking. Now good players get to meet hot decks in their areas. They build it and have a merry time in any competition, knowing well they have a shot for the big price.

Not everyone wants to get creative with deck ideas. Most people just want to play the game.
>>
File: 1483825617181.png (120KB, 287x194px) Image search: [Google]
1483825617181.png
120KB, 287x194px
Who U/B teachings master race here?

>mfw running creatureless with curse of the bloody tome win con plus capsize locks
>inb4 sea gate oracle and angler
>>
>>52298554
triggered UB anglodelver here. Curse of the Bloody Tome is a nightmare
>>
File: 1484455523076.jpg (180KB, 696x326px) Image search: [Google]
1484455523076.jpg
180KB, 696x326px
>>52299155
>implying that image resolved
>>
how the fuck do I beat bogles
>>
>>52300032
edict effects
>>
>>52300075
lmao young wolf

>>52300048
ub delver
>>
>>52300146
>young wolf
>mainboard
>>
>>52300256
>g1
>mattering
>>
>>52299155
>not enjoying the slow crushing of hopes and dreams
>not enjoying beating someone without playing a single creature while they have no permanents in play

>>52300146
I would recommend to side in shrivel, annul and don't remove every kill spell you have mainboard. Use them to kill the plant tokens and young wolves. Try leaving mana open to counter the thoughness increasing enchantements (mask, ethereal armor and armadillo cloak) while you chip their lives with delver.
>>
>>52300344
t. salty sideboard scrub
>>
>>52295793
I don't remember what was the exact problem they had before but for what it matters, they can't simply just copy Magma Jet the template as an uncommon, make it common, and change the Pauper rules to allow for Magma Jet. You'd think you could just "invent" a format, set card restrictions based on card attributes (rarity, set, etc.) and be done with it but it's clearly not like that.

This is nothing new. This is par for the course. I'm 100% certain it was a problem with Eternal Masters and Modern Masters 2015 and Modern Masters 2013 before that. I can't think of specific examples but I know for sure they could NOT fuck up the rollout.

I was talking to my friend who works for Amazon and he said his team could crank out a legality checker bug tested and fully functional in a week assuming the "input" was a decklist. It would take them four days to put something together and three days finding all the stupid niche situations.
>>
File: Terrain Elemental.jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Terrain Elemental.jpg
53KB, 312x445px
Are the planeswalkers intro decks legal on MTGO pauper?

I want to go BTE into this is a zoo deck.
>>
>>52300782

what's that got to do with planeswalker decks?

Terrain Elemental is AER, and BTE will be legal in pauper once wotc gets their shit wired together.

I'm already going forest, petal, BTE into mongrel AND rootwalla turn one in my threshold deck. Here's the list btw:

3 basking rootwalla
1 blastoderm
3 burning tree emissary
4 nimble mongoose
4 werebear
2 wild mongrel

2 deep analysis
3 firebolt

4 brainstorm
3 echoing truth
3 memory lapse
3 mental note
4 thought scour

3 lotus petal

4 evolving wilds
6 forest
4 island
2 mountain
1 swiftwater cliffs
1 thornwood falls
>>
>>52300032
serene heart
>>
>>52302467
>AER

whoops, I meant KLD.
>>
>>52291117
lol, hello again BR Aristocrats
>>
More suitable for the Ask the Judge thread but there isn't one on at this moment so I will ask here.

Turn 3 I have an Atog - ready to attack - and 5 artifacts, including 3 artifact lands. The opponent is tapped out and his board is empty. My hand has Fling and two irrelevant cards.

Is there a point in time at which I can feed all my stuff to the Atog while floating 1R, allowing combat damage to apply and then Fling him without mana emptying from the pool? i.e. can I win this turn?
>>
>>52291736
You don't have to rely solely on Falkenrath, you also have Hissing Iguanar which comes with the added bonus of being recurable with Unearth.

Other than that I feel like your list probably runs too few creatures and too much removal. One of the things I constantly ran into when tinkering with similar lists two years ago or so was that I'd often lose simply because I ran out creatures. I ended up playing about 30 in all of them, and often wished I had room for even more. The only pure removal spells I ended up playing in the main was 3-4 Tragic Slips, because the deck simply didn't need to get rid of blockers most of the time. You alpha strike, they block some of your dudes, you sacrifice them, ping them for damage, and they end up taking lethal anyway. Perilous Myr was a preferred option over Edicts because it was something to feed to your sac outlets, it handled Delvers, was retrievable with Unearth, and it could help close out games. And cards like Sultai Emissary, Butcher Ghoul, and Phyrexian Rager ended up being the preferred form of card advantage over cards like Night's Whisper and Innocent Blood, because, again, they fed your sac outlets and were recurable with Unearth.

The absolute biggest problem I had was with the mana base, however. The mana requirements were often harsh, and too many lands ended up coming into play tapped. So either you lacked that one red source you needed to cast vital cards in your hand, or you ended up with too many red sources when you needed more Swamps to be able to cast more than one creature in a single turn, or too many of your lands came into play tapped which slowed you down too much in situations where you the last thing you needed was a turn where you could do nothing because your hand was all three drops and the third land you drew was an Evolving Wilds.
>>
>>52303851
No. Your mana pool empties between when combat damage is applied and end of combat begins. There is no window where you can both deal combat damage with the Atog and still float mana for your Fling.
>>
>>52303909

post a list? I feel like we're talking about slightly different decks here.

Falkenrath noble here is the 4 mana flyer (arguably, he's so much weaker than princess Leia, but it's pauper after all), and does the job of blood artist. Then there are multicreature spells like war marshal and beetleback.

current list got rid of fling and one unearth (running two now) for two beetleback chief.
>>
>>52304153
>post a list?
I don't have one avaiable right now. But from my memory the BR list I tried back then looked something like:

4 Carrion Feeder
4 Butcher Ghoul
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Perilous Myr
4 Sultai Emissary
4 Hissing Iguanar
3 Viscera Seer
3 Phyrexian Rager
2 Bloodthrone Vampire

4 Unearth
3 Tragic Slip
1 Fling/Temur Battle Rage

20 Lands

>Falkenrath noble here is the 4 mana flyer
I know.
>>
>>52304347

well it's quite a bit different. Yours is pretty much all creatures + unearth and 3 tragic slips.
>>
>>52304452
Yes. It didn't start that way though, but that's where I ended up after testing and tweaking it for a while. I also tried a UB list that tried to be a little bit more tricky with cards like Artful Dodge and Distortion Strike, but still I ended up cutting most of them fore more sacable creatures.
>>
>>52299155
>white text on white background

You need some quality control.
>>
File: tmty.jpg (42KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tmty.jpg
42KB, 1280x720px
>>52303851
>>52303923
Thanks /tg/. I learned something today. Previously I'd have thought that mana obtained during the declare blockers step would be usable in the end of combat step. But now I know better
>>
>>52304347
Here is an idea if you want to spice up the deck plan. Add some threaten effects to the list. They can work to push some damage and then as fodder for your sacrifice outlets.
>>
>>52304630
that's what I did in OP - wrangle combos well with sac outlets (i considered running arrest, but few dudes in pauper go above 4 power).

Depending on how quickly I empty my hand, I might consider running mind swords as well.
>>
>>52304530

It is supposed to be mysterious and shrouded.
>>
File: march22.png (55KB, 598x338px) Image search: [Google]
march22.png
55KB, 598x338px
>>52295793
And they realized one month wait time is not acceptable by any means. Good.
>>
im thinking of getting into pauper because of BTE are there any good pauper zoo decks that could use her?
>>
>>52308020
For now the only zoo deck is tribal flames zoo, which I don't see needing BTE. Though you can experiment, I'm sure BTE will make RG aggro possible. Check out stompy, tribal flames zoo and red deck wins to get ideas in how to assemble the deck.
>>
>>52307980
nice. Can't wait to see if this shakes things up a little - i'm tired of seeing the same decks over and over.
>>
hi /pauper/
what are you

>brewing
augur of bolas puzzle pieces
>playing
elves
>excited about in MM3
bte
>>
>>52308949
>Brewing
trying to refine Pauper Soul Sisters. It's not really a tier deck, but if aggro gets popular, it might be a good silver bullet.
>Playing
Pauper Extortion and Elves.
>Excited about in MM3
Thunderous Wrath seems really fun, and BTE is a great addition as well. I've always wanted a place for the card because it's so simple and good, so Pauper being the place is perfect.
>>
>>52309027
do you have a soul sisters list? what are your thoughts on gond?
>>
>>52308949
>brewing
Wayfaring Temple pEDH deck
>playing
My old Golgari Delve deck - hadn't updated it since DTK
>excited about in MM3
I'm excited about every set and every common card desu
>>
>>52308949

>brewing
RG tokens with BTE
>playing
RG tokens and RG tron
>excited in MM3
Motherfucking BTE
>>
>>52309474
are you matra?
>>
>BTE

for a vanilla 2/2 this is sure making a splash. But adding a "free" 2/2 to your play does wonders for tempo.
>>
File: 1yu568fsd4c.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1yu568fsd4c.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
>>52309502
Y-yes. This shouldn't surprise me, I must the only person playing RG tokens non-stop.
>>
>>52309611
hell yeah, love your deck
when is your final match video going up? i really liked watching them
i played a few matches with it on xmage and i had a hard time balancing between getting in attacks and leaving up creatures to convoke, more generally a struggle between being aggressive and building the board
how does BTE change that and what is the deck's general philosophy there?
>>
File: 76.jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
76.jpg
53KB, 312x445px
Is this fucker the single most oppressive card in pauper? Seriously it feels like no other color can compete with blue because of this stupid fish.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/pauper-constructed-league-2017-03-21
>>
>>52309711
Thanks mate, glad you are enjoying the deck!
>video
The last video has some new things I wanted to try out and since I'm not good at editing, it has been difficult to go quickly. It will be out before next week, but the delay is really inexcusable, sorry for that.

>aggression or building
It depends on the matchup and which plan are you running.

If you are playing against a control deck, generally it is better to spend resources to get a board as early as possible and get damage in.
Against aggro decks, you need to measure how many attacks to take and setup a lethal attack.

For both you need to bait removal, make them tap-out and get some thermo-alchemist pings to get enough damage. Sometimes that also means holding up token generators in hand to not scare the opponent into getting defensive or not blocking big attacker to have a big enough attacking force. The deck can create an army out of nowhere at instant speed, take advantage of that, making them tap on their turn to ensure dynacharge and might of the masses resolve.

>Burning tree-emissary
BTE likes to go wide. The deck likes to go wide. They will get along. BTE generates convoke mana, for 2 mana you get 2 floating mana and a creature to tap, which is absurd. A dream play I want to make is:
Turn 1 nettle sentinel/plant token
Turn 2 BTE -> nest invader -> living totem
Thats 7/9 in stats across 4 or 5 bodies
>>
>>52310217
>video
glad to hear it, they're really funny and as a new pauper player it's great to see someone put that much thought into every play (and type the thought out onto the screen)

>bte
do you have a list for your post mm3 plans? i'm curious about dragon fodder
>>
>>52310089

nah. Mulldrifter is just great value - divination if you need it, and a 2/2 flyer is pretty decent in pauper.

Mono U delver doesn't run mulldrifters, neither does affinity, kuldotha boros, boggles, stompy, burn, goblins, elves, mbc, or izzet blitz.

Drifter is just a prominent card in UB and teachings-tron, and plays in UR. The daily you linked had a strong showing, but it's not oppressive. Certainly not on the level of peregrine drake/cloud of faeries.
>>
>>52310552
The card makes playing any kind of midrange strategy a nightmare if you aren't blue, making deckbuilding decisions painfully one-dimensional.
>>
File: PauperTeachings 019.jpg (805KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
PauperTeachings 019.jpg
805KB, 2304x1728px
>>52298554
i generally felt like a horrible person when I played this.
>>
>>52310617

boros seems to do pretty well for card advantage - it even stopped playing mulldrifter (which it used to do).
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (135KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
135KB, 223x311px
I'm playing standard pauper with friends. Should we treat pic related as a common or uncommon? I know the rarity rule but as playing standard we are using cards from "separate" blocks so some of us are not sure about using the rarity from previous blocks
>>
>>52310845
it was common in antiquities so it's pauper legal
>>
>>52310845
use the lowest rarity value that a card has.

if it was printed at common at some point, then it's fine.
>>
>>52310845
in pauper standard, you can only use cards that are commons in the current standard pool. So no ornithopter for you.

IMO - anything other than pauper classic is needlessly limiting.
>>
>>52310892
>>52310900

he meant pauper standard, which is different than pauper classic.
>>
>>52310921
>>52310937
oh right on, illegal then
>>
>>52310921
>anything other than pauper classic is needlessly limiting
I know but this way we are using only cheap and in-stock cards so It's easier to keep all decks on same level - we have few new players on deck so they can learn how to build decks etc. on small cardpool
>>
>>52310089
Actually, as a blue player, I agree with you in that Mulldrifter is the most powerful creature in the format by a lot, but costing 5 mana makes it not really oppressive.
>>
>>52311252
But it's 5 OR 3 if you're desperate
It's a 5-drop that helps you hit your land drops
>>
>>52311329
Sometimes you resolve a Mulldrifter and you just know that won you the game
>>
>>52310845
Why on earth are you playing Pauper Standard, that's the WORST reality to be living in, that's the world where Wizards realized all its mistakes and stops you from ever having ANY fun toys by bumping anything remotely good to uncommon level.
>>
>>52310089
I always say that if your opponent got to a point where he was able to resolve a Mulldrifter, he kind of implicitly deserves to win the game.
>>
>>52313338
>play MBC
>Grind opponent down to fucking nothing
>they topdeck a mulldrifter
Just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
Bump for pauper
>>
>>52313390
Does Tandem Lookout mean pauper might finally get a 'storm' deck?

https://youtu.be/E0UXXO-2Rik?t=13m18s
>>
>>52318844
I don't know why I posted that as a reply.
>>
>>52309049
I have a list, yeah.
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-03-17-hey-soul-sister/
As for Midnight Gond, I think it's a sweet deck, and fits into a soul sister shell to gain infinite life even if an opponent has Shrivel (or now Cower in Fear), but it requires a fair bit of deck slots to support it Heliod's Pilgrim, I personally run a few Apostle's Blessings to protect against removal, and 8 otherwise pretty weak cards.

Definitely want to see if going into G/W for Soul Sisters in pauper is worth it.
>>
>>52319618
Anyone have any izzet aggro lists running brainstorm and Thunderous Wrath?
>>
>>52320727
I need to stop posting stuff as a reply unless I mean to.
>>
>>52320727
Here's a hypthetical list I made based on an aggo-control variant I faced yesterday. Though he also played Sea Gate Oracles which I'm not sure how he managed to fit in -- or if they're even necessary now that Augur is a thing.

CREATURES (14)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Augur of Bolas
4 Mulldrifter
2 Archaeomancer

SPELLS (28)
4 Brainstorm
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Preordain
4 Ponder
4 Mana Leak
4 Thunderous Wrath
2 Daze
2 Ghostly Flicker

LANDS (18)
8 Island
5 Mountain
4 Swiftwater Cliffs
3 Evolving Wilds

This migth also be one or two lands too few, but considering the number of cantrips the deck runs that probably shouldn't be an issue most of the time.
>>
>>52321719
And I also miscounted the lands. So I guess remove one Cliff and one Island or something like that.
>>
>>52310217
That is a happy Christmas. I've still not been able to settle on a RG list. I like playing horned kavu a lot. Wish it bounced permanents not creatures.

Could I see your list, tokenbro?
>>
>>52321719
Relying just on brainstorm to make TW work feels iffy. I don't think I'd want to run it outside of a deck that also runs faithless looting or dream cache
>>
>>52321719
I take it the deck is supposed to be fast enough that counter spell's color intensity is more of a concern than mana leaks opponent can pay {3} clause.
>>
>>52321893
Brainstorm is your only out (other than getting to six lands) for using a Wrath in your hand, but Preordain and Ponder also helps you set it up for future turns as long as it's in your deck.
>>
>>52321921
That'd be the ideal scenario considering a single Wrath can take a quarter of your opponent's life total away. If the deck turns out to be too slow for that, or if you simply want a more controlling build, you can easily replace Mana Leak with Counterspell.
>>
>>52321893
I'm probably telling you something you already know:
Faithless looting is a sorcery. It won't help you cast TW unless it's drawing you into a brainstorm type effect. Of course if TW is just rotting in your hand, Faithless can loot it away for a random card on the top of your deck.

What do you think about Magma Jet's scry to help set up the miracle?
>>
>>52321957
Yeah- I mention FL for getting rid of TW once it's in hand only. That's the main thing I don't like about TW, in an opening hand it's a pretty dead card.

Not so fussed on magma jet- there's already a heap of topdeck manipulation available, but not much for putting cards on top from hand. Would be more inclined to run a UR Spells deck with a madness subtheme, so TW can be discarded from an otherwise useful opening hand.
>>
Rate my meme deck /tg/. It has put up consistently good results, and I also pilot Dimir Teachings and Kuldotha Tokens when I want something true and tested, but I honestly have more fun with this:

https://deckstats.net/deck-12700673-486c30bfd9d8ed98fa5da9c3630e65c5.html
>>
>>52322305
If you want to make it more meme, add Storm Crow.
>>
>>52322336
le ebin storm crow meme, amirite? XDDD
>>
Opinion/suggestions for white weenie? I have a hard-on for elite vanguard and the like.

16 Plains
4 Secluded Steppe

2 Bonesplitter
4 Journey to Nowhere
2 Sunlance
2 Unmake

2 Benevolent Bodyguard
4 Elite Vanguard
4 Guardian of the Guildpact
4 Icatian Javelineers
4 Kor Skyfisher
4 Loyal Cathar
4 Thraben Inspector
4 War Falcon

SB
3 Celestial Flare
2 Kor Sanctifiers
4 Mana Tithe
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Sunlance
2 Unmake
>>
>>52322441
6/10 needs more birds
>>
>>52322643
>>52322643
I assume you mean squadron hawk, because I can't think of other good white birds. I don't like them though, the deck is already weak enough to electrickery.

Is there any good anthem in Pauper?
>>
>>52323222
Veteran armorer and veteran armorsmith boost toughness.

Squawk isn't hugely weak to electrickery unless you really play in to it

The other birds are tokens from Battle Screech.
>>
>>52310390
I'm happy to hear that. Most people have found the text commentary useful, it is amazing there is not much of it in magic in general.

Dragon fodder can be used instead of goblin war marshal. It triggers thermo-alchemist and doesn't have the issue marshal has with echo (you need to pay 2 mana next turn or it becomes a worse dragon fodder). But on the other hand it is softer to removal and doesn't block as well. For now I think it ends up to personal preference which one to run and how many.

>>52321794
I have run this list the last month and in the videos http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gr-thermo-swarm-1/

Yesterday I made some changes to try out BTE
-2 Young wolf
-1 Might of the masses
-1 Goblin War Marshal

+4 Burning-tree emissary

I went 3-2 in single queue matches, the list requires more testing. BTE into 2-drop feels amazing, I got the christmas land scenario once and never got BTE into BTE.
>>
>>52323222
If you want to go soldier tribal you could try Veteran Swordsmith. Not sure how good it is. I pretty much don't play pauper.
>>
>>52322441
What are your thoughts on guardians' pledge here? Pumping your team by two is amazing even if you don't run tokens. Also since most of your creatures are soldiers, gempalm avenger could prove usefull.

Also I'm not sure about 4 cyclelands in an aggressive deck like this. 2 or 1 seems more cautious.
>>
>>52323445
Guardian's pledge is excellent.

Razor Golem goes alright too.
>>
>>52323400
Thanks for the list. Turn 2 totem looks like great fun, when it happens.

I'm now wondering how Naya Token Beatdown would go. I've never seen Selesnya Evangel in a deck. Maybe it's just a bad card and I'm not seeing it. White would also give access to Rally the Peasants. Hm.
>>
File: valakut-invoker.png (339KB, 340x475px) Image search: [Google]
valakut-invoker.png
339KB, 340x475px
So I just happened across this little guy in my commons. What do you think wizards was thinking when they designed this piece of shit? Almost makes me want to make a 5c deck with only bad stuff from every color. Just make a real unfun deck to play.
>>
>>52323841
>What do you think wizards was thinking when they designed this
That it was common that would allow you to close out limited games that went long and ended in boardstalls where neither player could attack profitably.
>>
I only have khladesh and aether revolt cards since I started playing mtg very recently. Do the commons in these 2 sets make for fun pauper games?
>>
>>52323841

in RoE limited, a 3 mana dude with an 8 mana activated ability was actually pretty baller.

In pauper, the best you can do with this guy is axebane guardian + another defender + freed from the real + this guy.
>>
>>52324185
No, but pauper is so cheap to play that restricting yourself to NWO sets is foolish to say the least.
>>
>>52324185
The fun in pauper is that it is legacy lite. You have spells like lightning bolt, counterspell and rancor which wizards would never print at common again. Meanwhile modern wizards only print very watered down cards at common, leaving most fun stuff in the uncommon slots.

The difference between legacy pauper and standard pauper is in the same level as legacy and standard.
>>
Yo Temur Tron players, is it normal to find oneself stuck with no gas in hand but just a bunch of lands and expedition maps/ancient stirrings? I was goldfishing last night to get a hang of how it was to assemble Tron and it felt like that a lot.
>>
welp just went 0-5 in my latest league. I'm mad.
>>
File: augurofbolas.jpg (43KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
augurofbolas.jpg
43KB, 265x370px
>>52310089
It is the single most played creature in pauper, followed closely by sea-gate oracle. And of course wizards just keeps printing more toys for u/r decks in every masters set it's kind of disgusting.
>>
>>52328759
The truth is that blue is the most powerful color in oldest set while it is completely neutered in modern magic. Any crumbs that it receive at common will feel disgusting (see peregrine drake)

>>52328280
>staying to the bitter end and not getting anything back
Better luck next time senpai
>>
I'm interested in building a Pauper deck, how good is the Tortured Existence deck? It looks pretty interesting and I like playing GB recursion decks in other formats.
>>
Im currently tinkering around with my current high tide list, mainly the sb (i play paper pauper at my LGS)
>>
>>52329133
played UB dudes
g1 vs MU Delver
g2 vs MBC
g3 vs Kuldotha Boros
g4 vs Tron
g5 vs Burn
>>
>>52329317
...What are these dude you speak of?
>>
File: BraveStar.jpg (30KB, 477x323px) Image search: [Google]
BraveStar.jpg
30KB, 477x323px
>When they counter the Chittering Rats but you just Unearth them
>>
>>52329134

You mean "buying", not "building" ;)
>>
File: 42.jpg (76KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
42.jpg
76KB, 312x445px
>>52291117
>pauper
So here is where the Plebe meets. Disgusting.

>>52293556
>>52300782
>>52310089
Look at this... thing. Who would ever have this in a deck?
>>
File: QSxbxcz.png (56KB, 192x154px) Image search: [Google]
QSxbxcz.png
56KB, 192x154px
>>52330541
>when they play chittering rats and you have no hand
>>
>>52331169
You can pitch mulldrifter to FoW though.
In all seriousness though I've seen mulldrifter played in modern lists, pretty sweet with Kommand.
I personally have a few modern decks, a legacy deck, a couple standard decks and also enjoy playing pauper, it's a different flavor that can be exciting sometimes (especially if you just want to play grindy games that come down to using your mana and cards optimally similar to limited)
>>
File: IMG-20170322-WA0005.jpg (6KB, 261x179px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170322-WA0005.jpg
6KB, 261x179px
>>52331532
>When they chitter u but u pyroblast the fucker to emty ur hand
>>
>>52329134
The deck is slow and grindy. It loses pathetically to aggro, even the murassa builds, but picks up serious steam in the midrange. Grave Sctabbler is BEAST. Remember to add a tilling treefolk so your mana doesnt hurt so bad from the constant dredging.
Dont be afraid to splash a third color (specially if you add the treefolk) so you can play better cards. There was a pretty good abzan decklist with skyfishers and auramancers to recover your tortexs
>>
File: UB Dudes.png (656KB, 1234x448px) Image search: [Google]
UB Dudes.png
656KB, 1234x448px
>>52330442
>>
>>52331963
What could I add to make the deck better against aggro? I'm currently looking at mtggoldfish's junk deck from earlier this month and I noticed there's no Angler which I thought was meant to be a staple, what else could be improved in it?
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/playing-pauper-abzan-existence
>>
>>52332243
I like that that list plays no less than 4 spore frogs. Thats interesting and probably the way to go. The carrion feeder/mesmeric fiend combo looks cute but not sure how effective it is. Id instead play 1 or 2 lone missionaries and the Tiling Treefolk.
I might sound too insistent on that card, but IMO, it is that good. One of the biggest issues of the deck mid/late game is that you stop drawing any lands yet your hand is always full of cards you cant cast because you are short on mana.
>>
>>52331830
>When they attack for lethal but you finish yourself up with bolt instead

>>52332169
>curfew main
Spicy.
>only one hydroblast, no exclude
Budget?
>>
File: My life.png (987KB, 1310x652px) Image search: [Google]
My life.png
987KB, 1310x652px
>>52333694
Here's the list I've ended up with after an hour of playing, most of my opponents were variations of mono red or RG aggro, and there was one neat land grant balustrade spy combo deck that destroyed me. Unfortunately I lost most of my matches but I beat one RG beatdown deck thanks to Grave Scrabbler and Spore Frog after gaining 40 life with Gnaw. I'm enjoying the deck but I feel like it needs more removal, Crypt Rats doesn't seem too good with a 3 colour manabase. Thoughts?
>>
>>52333694
I agree with you on the treefolk. I'm currently trying to build a deck around it that gets value through cycle lands.
>>
>>52335294
Playing g/b tortex I've found a couple of mb gnaws and the full set of stinkweed imp goes well. Generally lets you flash back gnaw on t3 or t4 after playing 1-2 creatures. It doesn't beat the nuts, but it gives you some game.
>>
>>52335294
Maybe Seal of Doom? It sounds cute with all the enchantment search and auramancers.
Ghastly demise also seems great. At least it looks better as removal than that BG spell you are playing.
Doomblade is always a good option too.
About the rats: you dont really need to hit really high numbers of black mana for them to work. Usually with 2 or 3 you kill 90% of stuff. In decks that are tougher than that (like affinity were everything relevant is 4+ toughness) you can simply side it out.
>>
>>52323222
Ramosian Rally and Selfless Cathar play off each other perfectly, if only as protection from Electrickery
>>
>>52337397
Ramosian rally is excellent in token lists, not so sure in non-tokens ones.
>>
>>52329134
If you expect to face a lot of slow decks then Tortured Existence is really good and can outgrind pretty much everything, even UB Teachings.
>>
>>52340121

how about UB teachings with curse and grim harvest?
>>
>>52340179
That depends on when they are played. Curse is definitely painful, but occassionaly helpful, and if the TortEx player is expecting the Harvest they are often able to keep some black mana up to return their most valuable creatures in response.
>>
Does Wild Nacatl have a place in a BTE G/R aggro deck? What about Kird Ape?
>>
>>52340233
>keep some black mana up to return their most valuable creatures in response.

what's that got to do with grim harvest?
>>
>>52340321
I mixed it up with Crypt Incursion.

UB Teachings with creatures is just a bad deck.
>>
>>52340403
depends on the creatures.
>>
>>52340930
Not really no. Mulldrifter is one of the best blue creatures, if not the best, in the format, but Teachings become actively worse by playing it, because suddenly you have expensive sorcery speed cards clogging up your hand which you're also gonna have to cast just to have a chance to draw your non-sorcery speed removal and counterspells.
>>
>>52340289
Yes. All of those are powerful enough to be included in competitive decks. Whether they are the best option in a specific deck is more debateable.

I personally like all three in naya landfall beatdown and naya domain.
>>
>>52340970
keep hitting your land drops then.

I'm currently running a trinket-teachings variant with dudes:

2 archaeomancer
4 mulldrifter
3 trinket mage
2 twisted abomination

3 chainer's edict

4 accumulated knowledge
2 counterspell
1 diabolic edict
1 doom blade
2 ghostly flicker
1 grim harvest
2 mana leak
1 miscalculation
2 mystical teachings
1 scour from existence

1 bonesplitter
1 executioner's capsule
2 pristine talisman
1 relic of progenitus
1 universal solvent

1 curse of the bloody tome

4 dimir aqueduct
4 dismal backwater
4 island
1 remote isle
3 seat of the synod
3 swamp
3 vault of whispers
>>
>Guess I will play some friendly league with this sweet bro
>A monoblack control deck, not my best match up but okay.
>Oh, the same deck again
>Third deck again, its not like I wanted to have fun or anything
>FOURTH DECK IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT. He was blue too, he sometimes counters my stuff and instead of beating me with only a 2/2 a turn he mills me after 40 minutes
>Another value recursion deck, but he plays red white instead

The format is shit, its literally only value decks with recursion, and god help you if you dont have either because you are gonna lose.

But no, sometimes you face boogles or affiniy,so its fine. Super diverse and interactive format.
>>
>>52341624

Okay, I fucked up with the grammar a lot. I blame its really late.

First line was sweet brew. And one line should be ''has blue'' instead of was.
>>
>>52341624
>>52341632

mono U delver, Tron, bogles, affinity, mono R burn, mono G stompy, goblins, elves.

Value decks exist - that's why UB control, mbc, boros tokens are a thing and make a regular showing
>>
>>52298554

You are the cancer of pauper
>>
>>52341740

Mono u delver and Tron are value decks that ramp.
>>
>>52341760

psssst

whoever has the most cards, wins. It's an old rule.

Goes back to Oswald Boelcke and aerial dogfights in WWI.
>>
>>52341601
>keep hitting your land drops then
You need card draw to do that while tading your removal and counters for what your opponent is doing. It's just that you're much better off playing instant card draw such as Accumulated Knowledge, Think Twice, or even Whispers of the Muse than you are playing Mulldrifter.

And replacing your wincons with Gurmag Angler is not preferable either as it only means your opponent's removal spells are no longer dead and now you need to not only stop your opponent from winning the game but also protect your own wincon.
>>
>>52341986
>blanking your opponent's removal

well, that's a legitimate reason to go creatureless.
That said - twisted abomination + grim harvest is a pretty solid wincon, even if your opponent has a pile of removal sitting around.

Then again - I'm playing trinket teachings, so playing value creatures like drifter/trinket mage/archaeomancer with ghostly flicker and grim harvest for recursion is not a bad plan.

And I have abomination swampcycling, and trinket mage + art lands (and flicker) to keep hitting land drops.
>>
>>52341760
Mono u delver is not a ramp deck.
>>
>>52341624
I mean that's the format, try to out-grind and out-value your opponent, and if you want to do anything else you should just play a different format tbqh.
>>
>>52291117
Why haven't you played penny dreadful yet, /pauper/? pdmtgo.com
>>
>>52343786
I don't play pauper for the budget though.
>>
>>52343786
Because I don't play on mtgo and I don't think that format is going to be able to effectively self regulate
>>
File: Moat 001 (Large).jpg (638KB, 1728x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Moat 001 (Large).jpg
638KB, 1728x2304px
>>52345032
this
>>52344090
also this
>>
>>52343786
>penny deadful
>if your deck becomes top tier, it bans itself
No thank you
>>
>>52341744
keep crying timmy
>>
>>52343786
sounds absolutely dreadful no thanks
>>
>>52344090
Why do you play pauper?
>>
>>52345995
I like grindy midrange slugfests
>>
>>52345380
Not really. One or two cards spike and you work around it or you build a variant
>>
>>52346017
Fair enough. My fave pd decks are actually super grindy, and they're competitive. Storm is degenerate atm though and basically the only way to beat it is permission.dec
>>
>>52346244
Storm? The best cards with storm are banned. Are you talking about a thermo-alchemist deck that plays like a storm deck?
>>
File: 0324171658_Burst01.jpg (3MB, 4656x2620px) Image search: [Google]
0324171658_Burst01.jpg
3MB, 4656x2620px
Should I replace my river boas for burning-tree?
>>
>>52350982
It depends, the boa is super useful against most blue decks. If you are facing too much delver, I would leave them in.
>>
Quick question, if Pauper exploded in popularity like EDH/Commander, would the format get terrible? EDH seems to be heading that way with people starting to take the format super serious. Would Pauper suffer the same date if Wizards pushed to support it in paper, or are there too many cards to cause a few decks to remain supreme?
>>
>>52353644
I feel like people already take moto pauper seriously, and if WOTC formally picked up the format the would unify the lists(because it is stupid to have two parallel formats separated by some small but potentially significant number of cards).

Also, I feel like all of the major pauper decks are figured out. Shake ups seem unlikely until the next treasure cruise like mistake/some card gets reprinted at common that shouldn't be from a masters set.
>>
Magic boosters open and giveaways
https://youtu.be/1aF2Amx7F_k
>>
>>52346035
It's entirely possible that if the key card/s for a deck spike, the entire deck dies because it no longer has enough consistency to work. Keeping in mind that I have no idea what a card is worth on mtgo because I don't use it, if slippery bogle got removed from the format, so would the eponymous deck.

I don't think that will happen though, because the format isn't anywhere near popular enough to create that kind of demand.

So you really just have another non-rotating format. Which may or may not be fun. Truth be told if I had a MTGO account I'd probably try it.

>>52353644
Quick answer:no. Pauper is already a competitive format. If the support consisted of pauper focused supplemental products reprinting staples, that would be fine. If the "support" was printing specific cards at common to purposefully shape the format (like how certain cards are currently pushed to shape standard) then yes, that would not be great.

Unlikely to happen though. People don't crack packs for pauper, and I don't think there's any way to make pauper-focused packs have an EV worth opening at standard pack prices. Maybe a duel deck would work, but that's still very unlikely. Not enough demand and not enough profit.
>>
Fresh list. Trying to take advantage of land recursion with cycle lands. Any thoughts for other value inclusions?

Creatures (24)
4x Arbor Elf
4x Aurochs Herd
3x Brindle Boar
4x Fierce Empath
1x Hooting Mandrills
4x Krosan Tusker
1x Tangle Golem
3x Tilling Treefolk

Instants (4)
4x Pulse of Murasa

Enchantments (8)
4x Utopia Sprawl
4x Wild Growth

Land (24)
16x Forest
4x Slippery Karst
4x Tranquil Thicket
>>
>>52294009
Love your list. Really combines my favorite aspects of mono green tron and temur. Whats your side board look like? Also any reason for the tree of tales but no great furnace? Assuming Fagren/crop rotation synergy.
>>
File: PauperBNP 003.jpg (753KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
PauperBNP 003.jpg
753KB, 2304x1728px
>>52357358
>Whats your side board look like?

Don't really have one. I just play casually with friends.

I suppose the Mountain could be swapped with a Furnace without too many problems.
>>
>>52357454
I love grim harvest, it is a shame it doesnt see enough play
Thread posts: 205
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.