[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternative Wargames General - /awg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 43

File: DA-Slavers.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
DA-Slavers.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
Not-Spartan Alternative Wargames edition.

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread >>52175522
>>
>>52282715
On the one hand, this is a better OP.

On the other, nobody seems to be here.
>>
>>52282715

Since this actually has a better chance of being seen:

How is Bushido? The models are really nice, but I've heard mention that it's similar to Warmahordes and Malifaux in that you need to be able to build really synergistic lists, and I'm awful at that.

Tangental: How was Daimyo, the L5R wargame. Anyone got PDFs?
>>
>>52283701
Clan war, not Daimyo. Hurrdurr
>>
MAY THE TRUE THREAD RISE!
>>
Anyone else looking to jump into Rune Wars when it comes out?

I've been reading up on it and I like the whole hidden action dial mechanic.
>>
File: runewars7.jpg (555KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
runewars7.jpg
555KB, 1000x750px
>>52285287
>>
>>52285287
>all the mounted knights are left handed
For some reason this is an incredible turnoff for me.
>>
>>52285287
I'm not sold on it. There's so many miniature games on the market and this is so generic mcgenericsons that I'm not sure why I would want the minis. It's not like I'll be able to substitute minis elsewhere since it's FF where it's gotta come with million tokens and unique game play gimmick tool.
>>
File: 1490079361596.png (1MB, 1305x800px) Image search: [Google]
1490079361596.png
1MB, 1305x800px
>>52286005
I gotcha, senpai
>>
>>52282715
What are these? They're hella cool
>>
>>52287332
Dark Age.
Basically a post apocalyptic game, where science is treated as magic and the robots that were supposed to take care of the humans have to process humans as energy source.
And the got Aztec Aliens.
Pretty funky.

Art by Gerald Brom.

The game is currently owned and sold by Cool Mini or not.
>>
>>52286849
Now all the spearmen are left handed :^(
>>
Afterlife by Anvil Industries is a fantastic skirmish game. Got in on the first KS for the models. Hung around for the tight rule set.
>>
>>52285287
Christ no. I never played X-Wing thinking "Yeah, this would be great for regimental wargaming."
Also, the sculpting style is way too nu-warcrafty for my tastes. The few things I like are completely overpriced. I'm really wondering how FFG expects to make any sort of impact with this pricing.
I might nab the golem or the worm off ebay, though.
>>
>>52288465
>Also, the sculpting style is way too nu-warcrafty for my tastes.
Its "cool" and "fun", when GW doing this, right?
>>
>>52288635
No it wasn't. People bitch still about stormcast eternals
>>
>>52288635
Yeah, because that's what I said you triggered bitch.
>>
>>52288465
>style is way too nu-warcrafty for my tastes
I like it for this very reason.
>>
>>52288635
Have you missed all the immense criticism of GW's new shitty, bloated, cartoony, confusing messes?
>>
>>52285287
I like that skeltal worm and the golem.
>>
>>52289378
Except you know, AoS is probably the best game ever made.
>>
>>52289467
How many levels of pretending are we on senpai?
>>
>>52289467
No, that's HeroQuest.
>>
>>52289706
Oh noes, Mormons!
>>
First for FiveCore + FiveParsecsFromHome as best scifi skirmish system
>>
Anyone have any experience with Arena Rex?
>>
>>52285413
Garithos ready to remove elf?
>>
>>52291466
All I know is that it's supposedly borderline impossible to get in Europe
>>
>>52285413
Okay, now I definitely want these.
>>
>>52291466
No. But I read glowing reviews of the minis.
Haven't heard anything about the rules though.
>>
>>52290839
Everything Ivan writes is fucking awesome honestly. I genuinely think Five Men In Normandy is one of the best rulesets ever written.
>>
File: $_3 (3).jpg (80KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
$_3 (3).jpg
80KB, 600x800px
Just got my mint in box Flintloque starter set from 1995.
>>
File: IMG_20170321_163052.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170321_163052.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>52293853
Wait, wrong picture.
>>
>>52290839
>>52292598

I talk to Ivan quite frequently, any interest in getting him onto /tg/ for an AMA?
>>
>>52294858
I think it'd be interesting. I know he posts here occasionally, but I've only seen him once or twice.
>>
>>52282715
what in gods name is this ridiculous slaver band with over 50% chicks; that are comfortable with the misstreatment and likely sexual violence commit towards other chicks.
>>
>>52283701
>>52283718
I've been searching for years. Haven't found a PDF. I had seen the core book in the bargain area of a con a few years back. But it was superseded by the Daimyo edition.
>>
>>52298225
The winners clearly. Actually, in-game there's a good reason. One character (the sniper) is a slave-hunter who's pretty vile for basically going after runaways.
Two whip and bow ones are 'raised' by the Lord Humungus dude as his enforcers.

Dark Age is a pretty rad game.
>>
Need some good fleet action wargames. Anyone got some ideas? Look for something that's popular but won't break the bank.
>>
>>52301171

What do you mean by fleet action? Like, with space ships, or with ship ships?
>>
>>52301249

Ehh doesnt matter. Either is good. Just want a wargame involving badass capital ships.
>>
>>52301171
>>52301249

Sadly, there's no good fleet-level wargames for either of the 'ship' types - and I looked everywhere.

The closest I've seen so far are Phil Barker's "Damn'd Battleships Again" and it's space-clone "Damn'd Starships Again" - both of which are basically DBA in sea/space.

Nothing left but to write my own set, I suppose ...
>>
File: nav-web.jpg (314KB, 580x387px) Image search: [Google]
nav-web.jpg
314KB, 580x387px
>>52301171
>>52301249
>>52301338
>>52301375

Did somebody say Dystopian Wars?
>>
>>52301656

Is it popular anon?
>>
>>52301338
>popular
Literally the only option is Battlefleet Gothic. Maybe, just maybe, Dystopian Wars will work if you live somewhere where it's not 100% dead.
>>
>>52301338
If you like Star Wars you can give Armada a go.
>>
>>52301795
>>52301790

Think my only choices in the local area is armada and firestorm armada...

Such a shame...
>>
>>52301820
Dropfleet commander might be worth a look if atmospheric/orbital fleet combat sounds interesting
>>
>>52301656
He said Good, not unsupported and awkward.

boarding being far stronger than battleship cannons is stupid.
>>
>>52303074
but anon, muh glorious katana folded one gorillion times, stronger than krupp steel.
>>
>>52301656
I wonder IF they'll make the RULEBOOK less OBNOXIOUS to read WHEN they put out the NEW VERSION.

Or have they done that already? Kind of lost track.
>>
>>52303769
They APPEAR to know that RANDOM BOLD TEXT is an ISSUE in the DW RULEBOOK.

They're working on an updated rulebook in the kickstarter, so we'll see what they cock up instead this time around.
>>
>>52301795
Can someone sell me on Armada?
>>
>>52303769
>>52303832
>>52303074
>>52301656

Anons, DW 2.5 is apparently in production. What would you change to fix the game? (Apart from giving it to a company that isn't Spartan Games).
>>
>>52303933
Nah, fuck steampunk.
>>
>>52303933
Don't play as yet, (didn't hear about it until relatively recently, currently waiting to see what the reception to 2.5 is like,) but I like that they're bringing out a couple of different 2-player starter boxes. I think if most nations had a presence in a box like this, it would help people pick up the game with the ships they want, along with another set of ships to rope in a friend.

But from what I hear of Spartan, they'll most likely see an interesting squirrel or butterfly and run off to chase it rather than supporting the game.
>>
>>52304269
>they'll most likely see an interesting squirrel or butterfly and run off to chase it rather than supporting the game.

I backed the kickstarter. I'm fully expecting the kickstarter stuff to arrive (late) and then there be no DW releases for six to twelve months.

I also expect Spartan to be confused as to why DW will inevitably not sell as well as it used to, forgetting that they ignored their playerbase until with withered away to almost nothing.

On a positive note, I have seen more DW related activity in places, so it may recover... if Spartan can be persuaded to stick with it.
>>
File: Boromite-Header-600x215.jpg (36KB, 600x215px) Image search: [Google]
Boromite-Header-600x215.jpg
36KB, 600x215px
Has anyone here played Beyond the Gates of Antares? Was looking at picking up the starter set. Is it any good?
>>
>>52304676
Yeah, feels like this is a make-or-break opportunity for Spartan to either fix the game, or more specifically fix their handling of the game, or just confirm everyone's suspicions. I hope they support it, because I really like the setting and models and would like to see it pick up a bit, but we'll see.
>>
Any suggestions for a scenery warship for 28mm skirmish games? The ones from blood and plunder look perfect, but they won't be shipped untill july
>>
File: 136-489-thickbox.jpg (73KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
136-489-thickbox.jpg
73KB, 600x600px
Has anyone had any experience with Alkemy? I quite like the look of the miniatures and the 2d6 resolution mechanic.
>>
>>52304836
good luck getting someone to play with
>>
>>52306744
>every edition of /awg/ ever
>>
>>52306226
It's an ok game, but nothing's really amazing about it since there's no real draw to the game to make it more distinct than other skirmish game rulesets.

I primarily bought it for the minis
>>
>>52307566
I have a game lined up this weekend.
>>
>>52305549

https://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SGSS13
>>
>>52307611
Well that's kind of disappointing. I'm getting the miniatures for my collection, might try out the rules if I can convince anyone to play.
>>
>>52308701
Skirmish games in general, I cannot give too much shit about. There's a bajillion of them. You go for the minis, and that's it
>>
>>52308989

Sadly few has great sculpts(hoping for not-metal)
>>
So speaking of Spartan Games, Derek was in the forums earlier expanding a but more om upcoming releases for Halo: Ground Command, no word on Halo: Fleet Battles yet. Here is a rundown:

On UNSC Marines:

>The Marines have a different battle-methodology to the UNSC Army, so its not too much of a stretch to imagine them as a separate faction.....nothing to stop UNSC players from mixing and matching Battle Groups IMO...provided they can come up with a good reason canonically.

On NOBLE Team:

>Noble / Osiris are BOTH stat-ed, tested and submitted. When they are released? Well that's subject to sign off and release schedules - not my area I'm afraid! However, both are (along with a few named Covenant Heroes and their respective retinues) brutal in gameplay, intended purely for the narrative gamer! Noble Team totals 1500pts on their own once you add in their Command Card!... Don expect to put these narrative models into a tourney-space....they tell stories and don't play tournaments

On random new stuff:

>As was mentioned in the article regarding the changed Orbital Insertion Rules, we had to broaden out the Drop Rules to facilitate new elements (such as orbital-dropped Terrain). Expect barricades, shield generators, medical stations, etc in the future.

The medical station is interesting and I wonder how that will play out.
>>
>>52309825

>No word on fleet battles
>Another abandoned game

Why is spartan so shitty? Why does this shitty company get so much free advertising here?
>>
>>52285287
RuneWars is eye catching, but I'm thinking probably no. It has the aesthetic of warcraft 3, and the pre-painted will appeal to a certain segment, but I'm not it. Depending on how the game is, it might be a good intro-to-wargaming game.
>>
>>52309952
I want to say that you are wrong, but it sure feels like it.
>>
>>52310028

It's pre-painted? I thought it wasnt.
>>
>>52304269
>But from what I hear of Spartan, they'll most likely see an interesting squirrel or butterfly and run off to chase it rather than supporting the game
That's pretty accurate. I like Spartan, I like their games, but they are definitely a bit unfocused and tend to cut their IP loose after a short while. DW is the longest running thing they've had.

I still get in a game of Uncharted Seas once in a while with one of my friends that also bought into it before it disappeared. Great minis if you get a chance to pick them up used.

>>52306744
>good luck getting someone to play with
I mean, that's all alternative systems, isn't it? That's why they're alternative. Doing a bit of legwork and community building yourself is kindof a given.
>>
>>52309952
Because even if they have hired more people (at least, more after the mass exodus they had a while back), they're still too small to support all the games they've released. They make games that are so close to being great, then ditch them for something else at the last minute.
>>
>>52310081
>RuneWars
>It's pre-painted? I thought it wasnt.
I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.
>>
>>52310182
I'm pretty sure it's pre-coloured plastic (blue and purple), but not pre-painted.
>>
>>52310151
>DW is the longest running thing they've had.

It's because there's a small fanbase that is angry enough, enthusiastic enough and aware of what happened to Uncharted Seas to be ready to tell Spartan and, more importantly, everyone else what a bunch of cocks Spartan is.
>>
>>52310227
>>52285413
>Not pre-painted
Meaning their studio painters are doing that on purpose? That's... interesting. Looks exactly like the video-gamey high contrast color palettes on the old pre-painted confrontation minis.
>>
>>52310299

Yeah to the anons wondering about the rune wars game. They come as grey plastic.
>>
>>52310261
>what a bunch of cocks Spartan is.
I think it's a safe bet Dystopian Wars still exists because it's the one that makes the money. For whatever reason, that particular franchise hit a sweet spot with the community.

I don't see spartan as being "cocks" exactly, I don't think there's any malice there... they're just what an actual "by gamers / for gamers" company looks like if it gets big enough and the business-headed people never take over. That's not to advocate the companies that succeed and sell out as being the right path, but the money-men do have a way of keeping you on task, even if the task is not in your customer's best interests.

I look at it as, Spartan approaches making games the way I approach playing games. They have system ADD, and when they're into something, they have faction ADD. The things that actually roll off their desks are labors of love, but if you look in their cabinets there's a space marine army that only ever got assembled and primed, a 60% complete conversion of some random 7" tall kitbashed monster with a giant wire armature and half a pound of sculpting putty hanging off it, random minis from four dozen different game systems, and two tackleboxes full of leftover bits from god-only-knows how many different projects.
>>
>>52309952
>No word on fleet battles
>Another abandoned game
I actually think Hawk might have inadvertently torpedoed (pun!) that with Dropfleet taking off (pun!!). Spartan and Hawk are basically in direct competition for a pretty small market (especially after X-Wing takes their cut). Most local shops can't drum up enough players for even one sci-fi fleet scale game, nevermind several.
>>
>>52310579
Spartan seems to be competing with themselves, even without involving Hawk.
>Firestorm Armada
>Halo Fleet Battles
>Dystopian Wars
I mean, DW may be competing for the same market less so by virtue of not being about spaceships, but Spartan has a lot of fleet scale games going on. Throw in Dropfleet and even when relatively popular, it can be a struggle to get a community for a single game together.

>>52310512
I know it's not necessarily malicious, but they do tend to behave that way, even if it's inadvertently.
>>
>>52301171
Tons of historical rulesets for that, try asking hwg.
>>
>>52310718
>Spartan seems to be competing with themselves
Yeah, that's definitely part of it. Like I said, they act like gamers... like when you buy a new army because it was on sale even though if you actually stopped to think about it, you know damn well you're never really going to have time to get it on the table.

>Spartan has a lot of fleet scale games going on
They do, but I see that more as a company being specialized in something. Fleet-scale games being a company's "thing" isn't really a problem, and the world probably has room for a few different ones if the settings are different enough. DW universe in particular, being a sort-of "hard" steampunk, is far enough outside the popular tropes of the big fantasy and sci-fi games that it appeals to a whole different group (including a subset of the historical crowd), and that's probably a big part of its success.

On the other hand, the Firestorm and Halo games are competing for the attention of basically the exact same people as both of Hawk's games, X-Wing, and even sci-fi in other scales like Infinity, 40K, etc etc
>>
>>52311006
>On the other hand, the Firestorm and Halo games are competing for the attention of basically the exact same people as both of Hawk's games, X-Wing, and even sci-fi in other scales like Infinity, 40K, etc etc

And the thing is that even with all their competition they should be at that close to the top with the only real competitors being WH40K and X-Wing, because they have Halo as an IP and the game mechanics for HFB and HGC are decent, but instead they squander their chance with their usual ADD
>>
>>52311287
Yeah. Enough about Spartan though, we're killing this whole thread with bitching.

What else is everybody playing lately? Anything particularly new or awesome? Me and my bro have been playing some modified Kings of War, in 10mm, with some magic and artillery rules hacked together from old WFB tacked on top. Pretty good fun, as beer-and-pretzels goes.
>>
>>52311880

Nothing /awg/ related sadly. Been working on my "alternative war game" though.
>>
>>52311880
Nothing really, sadly...took out my Rivendell Elves to complete them finally, but working on mostly /hwg/ material.
>>
>>52311880
I've played two games of Age of Fantasy over the weekend, and it was a lot of fun. Fills my niche for not-whfb complex but also not-aos simple fantasy wargaming.

We played using movement trays but seeing how there is a version of the rules that doesn't use them we'll give that a shot and see if it makes a difference...
>>
>>52285287
No, though when the game starts dying off I'll probably pick up second hand models for cheap and use them to play SoBH.
>>
>>52311880
Does the Batman Miniature Game count?
>>
>>52311880
>What else is everybody playing lately? Anything particularly new or awesome?

No playing of late but I wrote a fuckload of lore for one of my armies (I linked it in the last thread just before it fell off the board)

https://ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/heavy-gear-army-background-marigold-army-25th-regiment-3rd-compagnie-1st-gear-section-the-three-ones-southern-forces-319tv/

Next up, a short story to properly explain what happened regarding the army's duellist (and some stuff on the other duellists I've built)
>>
Hey how does a 28mm skirmish game centered around boarding parties on spaceships sound?
>>
>>52313810
That depends. How would you represent it mechanically? How would it compare to Zone Mortalis and Infinity ITS?
>>
>>52304836
it's alright, don't be fooled by the people who claim to love the game
a lot of the rules are clunky as fuck and poorly formatted in the rulebook, and army building is fairly restrictive.
also, the game is balanced around 2 things, one is Ghar being impossible to kill unless you have a gigantic pile of anti-tank weapons, and Net ammo in X-launchers being practically brokenly good
other than that it's alright, the pinning system is interesting and the dice for turns makes things a bit dynamic but otherwise there's some definite flaws to it that make things feel very same-y, and can be super frustrating when one of your units refuses to do anything all game because an enemy unit plinked them with one hit
>>
>>52313810
I was writing this exact thing a few months back. It's incredibly difficult to make it so the game feel like it's designed for spaceship combat. What I wrote ended up being a generic D20 skirmish game with some rules for tunneling through exterior and interior walls and being flushed out into space.

It was my second foray into writing proper rules so it's damn basic and simple.
>>
>>52311880
Not playing much, but I've been painting some mushroom men for a lil' warband.

No pics right now because it's dark as fuck.
>>
>>52314095
>>52313879

I take it back it'd be 15mm to give more room for ship layout. It'd be more akin to Zone Mortalis. Balancing like Infinity ITS would be my goal but I'm not aiming for a super competitive game. However the tactical gameplay would be what I'd aim for. Alternating unit activation's with a lieutenant being able to activate what one to three units you want at your leisure depending on lieutenant level.

I'd have things like misses with certain weaponry may still have a chance to cause holes in the ship in which you'd role on a ship damage chart. Wonky things would happen on the chart that'd pertain to the flow of the game. Say for a catastrophic blowout would then pertain to all units special rule called "suit magnetics" in which those that had it would stay those wouldn't would be sucked out depending on where they are in the ship.

Seems like a bit of a cluster fuck but I'm going to pair it with a fleet battle game where each ship in the game has a floor plan that you could possibly fight in as a side game to the fleet battle game.
>>
File: IMG_0061 (2).jpg (407KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0061 (2).jpg
407KB, 1600x1200px
>>52313810
As an aside, Wargame Model Mods make some nice mdf terrain boards that would be good for this.

Cheaper than zone mortalis and you get funky LEDs and shit.
>>
>>52313136
>Fills my niche for not-whfb complex but also not-aos simple fantasy wargaming.
That's been Kings of War for me these past couple years. The base game is maybe a little simple for most people's taste, but the core of the rules is really solid. The most impressive thing about it is how fast it plays - what would have been a 3-4 hour affair in WHFB takes maybe an hour in KoW, with no appreciable loss of depth. Alessio knows his business.

The big upshot of "simple" is that it also means "easy to hack and build on top of", which is something those of us from the DIY days of warhammer can appreciate.

>>52313349
Sure. How is it?

>>52314874
>I'm going to pair it with a fleet battle game where each ship in the game has a floor plan that you could possibly fight in as a side game to the fleet battle game.
I've tried to do nested games like this before and it just never seems to work. Both systems suffer for the lack of focus. You're probably better off either abstracting the fleet action to the level of a campaign, or abstracting the boarding action to the level of a die roll.

That said, if you can find a way to make it work, more power to ya!
>>
>>52315890

Nah you're right anon. I think I'd just have the skirmish game take place in the same universe not use the floor plans.
>>
>>52306226
I enjoyed the combat mechanics for melee a ton, Ranged was not great tho. Neat world and decent minis, and Im a sucker for fans buying a game they play and continuing it.
>>
>>52310151
>DW is the longest running thing they've had.

Firestorm Armada has been around longer than DW. Cane out before and is still going.
>>
>>52319326
No it has not. Firestorm v1.0 was a flaming piece of dogshit with ruleset written by someone who literally did not understand mathematics. It's gameplay was worse than it's predecessor, Uncharted Seas, and was all 'get into range 2, fire while circling, and board'.

Firestorm v2 is a decent space game, but that was well after Dystopian Wars started going downhill.

Spartan truly cannot do games. As they continue to compete with themselves in releasing slight modifications of the exact same game for the last 10 years.

The basic mechanic of 'roll enough to meet a threshhold.. but oh, your guns deteriorate and it takes a half dozen attacks from a peer to 'destroy' a peer, but only one boarding attack is inherently flawed.

Note: I played UC, Firestorm 1, DW, and Firestorm2.
>>
>>52319631
What? The post said DW is their longeat running thing, which isn't true since Firestorm came out first and has been around the whole time.
>>
>>52320161

This. Firestorm has an a small but living community that lives out of shear force of will.
>>
>>52309952
I read somewhere I can't remember that they were reworking it. Is that true? I might have misread, or it might have been bullshit.
>>
>>52320381

Last I heard of it we were suppose to get new cruisers for the unsc. That was announced what.... 6-7 months ago. Yet no cruisers for the unsc and here we are with another dead game on our hands from them...

Spartan games is a shitty company ran by a fat dude with ADD. The fact that they're still afloat and people still purchase their products despite this amazes me. If I sound salty I am. They have a chance to truly make some fun niche games but they shit on them and their communities. The dude that sperged out on them taking advantage of the firestorm and dystopia wars community was absolutely right.

Fuck spartan games.
>>
>>52311880
Still chugging along with my Empire of the Dead campaign, though a few of the players (including myself) seem to be feeling some faction fatigue.

Not playing, but I've been working on getting my old WHFB stuff whipped into shape for Dragon Rampant.
>>
>>52320605
I buy their stuff. They come late. I like their minis and I like their games. I play them with my friends and perfectly fine. It is nice that rules don't change every year or quicker like in some other games. Quality of their minis have actually risen lately. I generally like their games and enjoy playing them. There is no meta-power-creep that I'm aware of (at least not in Armada).

I don't like how it takes a long time for Spartan games to ship stuff but if you think about it, they have few guys working there, they create all minis by themselves (no ordering from china) so they have limited production capacity and many games to create stuff for. So no wonder it someone takes time to get what they have planned. At least they still try and it seems to pay for them.
>>
>>52310718
Wow. Three different fleet games. Good thing that I don't give a flying fuck for two of those so there is no competition. They differ from each other enough to not spike my interest in two of them.
>>
>>52282715
This thread sure is having trouble staying alive today
>>
>>52324219
I can relate to that.
>>
File: 200.gif (776KB, 355x200px) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
776KB, 355x200px
So I decided to order a paint gun from china. It was only £5 and it's just for painting terrain not minis so it doesn't really matter if it's shit.

That was three weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Srr85QZ3U
>>
>>52324918
>worried about this only after three weeks
M8, average time for shit to arrive from China to Europe is 1-6 weeks or so. Possibly more if you're in the UK. Also, if you write to them, they are usually happy to help, when I forget to give feedback, they send me messages asking if it arrived yet or should they re-send it.
>>
>>52325235

It seems so random though, I bought some squirty bottles from china at the same time and they turned up in little over a week.
>>
File: 1473403915042.jpg (43KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1473403915042.jpg
43KB, 500x375px
>>52311880
I still get a Dust Warfare game in every now and then. I'm lucky to have a few folks who still play, although not as regularly as I'd like.
>>
>>52325397

There is a *huge* difference in shipping times based on how it travels - air/sea/rail

Assuming you bought from 2 different companies, with different supply chains, a huge discrepancy is to be expected. China is the other side of the world, dude

t. International Shipping Trade Employee
>>
>>52325848
What's the latest news on Dust? Last I heard they were coming up with a new rulebook, and had some new stuff coming out.
>>
>>52328767
Haven't heard much. If there is a new rulebook coming, it'll be for Tactics, since Warfare is dead and gone - the effort I had to expend to even get my hands on some of the expansion rulebooks was astounding.

I know they've been putting out new units, but no idea if they've even considered statting them for Warfare.
>>
File: 1.jpg (331KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
331KB, 2048x1536px
Painting Harad Army, this is my last few weeks progress.

Got some half trolls, spectres and knight of umbar to come as well as some Reavers and heaps more. Such a cool game overall.

I especially enjoy it when my fell beast hurls cavalry through other cavalry knocking a bunch down.
>>
File: 2.jpg (405KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
405KB, 2048x1536px
>>52329583
>>
File: 3.jpg (442KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
442KB, 2048x1536px
>>52329605
>>
File: 4.jpg (336KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
336KB, 2048x1536px
>>52329616
>>
File: 5.jpg (413KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
413KB, 2048x1536px
>>52329633
>>
File: 6.jpg (420KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
420KB, 2048x1536px
>>52329652
>>
File: I hve a qstion.jpg (59KB, 620x451px) Image search: [Google]
I hve a qstion.jpg
59KB, 620x451px
>>52329605
Where'd your boss mans head get to?
>>
File: 7.jpg (379KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
379KB, 2048x1536px
>>52329668
>>
>>52329605
>>52329616
Lookin' decent, anon. I traded most of my Harad stuff away, it had some nice sculpts, but my main evil forces are/will be gobbos.
>>
File: 8.jpg (330KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
330KB, 2048x1536px
>>52329684
He will soon be the knight of Umbar, I just need to make the conversion. (just need a head, probably will cast it from the foot model).

>>52329686
>>
File: 10.jpg (384KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
384KB, 2048x1536px
>>52329698
I love Moria Gobbos too, but I gave them away before getting into the game. Will Revisit them as the goblin swarm was a lot of fun to play.

>>52329707
>>
File: 11.jpg (469KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
469KB, 2048x1536px
>>52329745

And thats it so far.

My 800 points list planned for tournaments is:

Knight of Umbar on fell beast
6 Haradrim Raiders War Spear

1 Haradrim Chieftan with bow
10 Warriors of Karna (3+ shoot guys) bows

1 Corsair Captain
10 Corsair Reavers Axes
2 Half Trolls of Harad

1 Wraith with 2 points of Might
8 Spectres
4 Black Numenorians

I might add in the Shadowlord for the ranged protection but im very new to the tournament scene so not sure how much shooting to expect.
>>
>>52329770
All looks really good and is making me want to go paint up some of the LOTR miniatures I have lying around.

How is the game?

Its been almost a decade since I last played it so I hardly remember now.
>>
>>52329847
So from what I gather, in 2012 it changed big time. Lists now need 1 hero for every 12 non heroes and for allies getting an allied hero unlocks 12 ally models.

A few weapons got new abilities as did monsters, so an ax for example can choose to special strike if he wants and gain D3 strength if he wins the fight, but loses D3 defense if he loses the fight. Monsters can do things like throw smaller models knocking down any model who gets hit by the thrown guy (sometimes killing them) and so on.

Id say it isn't perfect, but it is a reasonably well balanced (you never seem to have truly 1 sided games) and incredibly cinematic.

last night a horde of orcs and some Haradrim charged into an elven wall and we failed to stop their wizard hero from casting a knock down spell, huge amounts of the front line got thrown down and the elves cut them up. Orcs managed to win still but it was close.

Recommend getting back into it. Heaps of models are no longer available though, so im building my army based on conversions and cheapness and availability.
>>
>>52282715
I tried ordering some dark age stuff from coolminiornot twice now, each time a few weeks go buy with no update and I eventually cancel the order. Big orders too, Im not sure why they won't take my money
>>
>>52329745
It was? Didn't play any with them so far, have fucktons of common gobbos, some recast prowlers, a blackshield command, Durburz, a Balrog, two converted shamans, some wargs and half a dozen trolls. Most of them unpainted, but standard gobbos are fucking easy to paint. I want to get some RedBox orcs (they are 1:72) to use as gobbos, blackshields or something...

But I digress. Right now I'm trying to finish my Rivendell elves. Started those because they are really easy to come across, plus "Unreleased Miniatures" did some nice command minis for them.
>>
>>52329972
I played them about 3 years ago when learning about the game. I used a goblin swarm of shields in front, spears in back and some bows scattered about. Backing them was a channled fury shaman for the 5+ death save to all within 6" and a troll. it worked well but we didn't have all the bigger toys back then.

I definitely recommend all the models you listed except the Balrog who is actually pretty bad rules for points wise.

You can get a drum too and call in a constant swarm of goblins from off the table if you have the models to convert and add.

Checking out Unreleased Miniatures, they got some good stuff.
>>
Whelp guess ill give rune wars a go. Got a free starter in my adepticon swag bag
>>
>>52330053
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I like the little buggers, fun to paint, and like the Rivendell guys, cheap as chips.

>>52330240
Oh you lucky fucker.
>>
File: 0323171538.jpg (7MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
0323171538.jpg
7MB, 5312x2988px
>>52328767
That have a presence at adepticon...
>>
File: Hans.jpg (727KB, 1268x1910px) Image search: [Google]
Hans.jpg
727KB, 1268x1910px
>>52330262
Huh. I knew they were still pushing Dust Tactics, but I didn't realize they were shilling that hard.

Bitching aside, Tactics is a functional game, and really not that bad. I just cant stand it in comparison to Warfare.

Wish they'd use some actual fucking plastic for their mini's though, that rubbery shit is terrible to work with. You can get decent painting out of Dust mini's, but it's an effort and a half - all photos are misleading, too, as they're all done with painted resin versions. At least the vehicles and walkers are plastic.
>>
File: LOTR.jpg (237KB, 1600x648px) Image search: [Google]
LOTR.jpg
237KB, 1600x648px
>>52329957
>Recommend getting back into it

I'm tempted to assemble a small force after seeing all this, any recommendations for miniature sourcing?

I can comb ebay but I'm curious if there are alternatives.
>>
>>52330384
No sorry, I splurged and purchased new/got some off my mates.

It's hard to buy into because GW doesn't allow sellers to stock the game, can only buy direct. So you have to order and are unlikely to get a discount unless you buy foreign (here in NZ we pay a lot) or find second hand sellers.

I recommend doing a bit of both but GW make it hard to get into the game easily as far as I can tell.
>>
>>52330384
Scotia Grendel stocks the old Harlequin line, also, you could play it in 1:72 from RedBox and Caesar minis.
>>
>>52330449
However if you wanted to be more true to the books than the movies, you could probably use Saracens, Huns, various Nordic/Viking models etc to bulk up forces for far cheaper.
>>
>>52330526
Thanks, I'll check these out
>>52330449
It does seem a bit ironic to charge extra for lotr figures in New Zealand
>>
>>52329583
Great work.
It's strange, back when the LotR line first showed up, I really didn't like the style of the miniatures and preferred the WHFB and 40k lines over it.
Now I much, much prefer the LotR line, by a vast margin. Is there a list of manifacturers that have this sensibly-exaggarated sculpting style? It really is my favourite, compared to the often overstylized heroic scale and understyled true scale ones.
>>
File: IMG_20170323_170826.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170323_170826.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I know there's at least one other Heavy Gear Blitz player here, so: since we're playing with a living rulebook, what sort of changes would you like to see for the next update?
>>
>>52330755
Yea I agree, I love the fact they are true scale but still have the exaggeration. Truly movie models if that makes sense.

I have not seen any like it, only true scale historical.
>>
File: bugbear miniatures.jpg (115KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
bugbear miniatures.jpg
115KB, 800x430px
>>52330843
There's a small company called Bugbear Miniatures that started making gorgeous WW2 troopers. I don't know if they are released yet, but I'd like to see more of the stuff.

Knight Models is also in that ballpark, but 32mm, so not always compatible. But there really needs to be more stuff in that style.
>>
>>52330989
I'd love if they were plastic, but le me guess - they'll be metal.
>>
>>52331088
They are going to be resin suposedly, but they said they'd like to go plastic.
The stuff has yet to materialize, though. If it's just vaporware, I'm going to be really fucking sad.
>>
>>52330788
Great names

Also I'd like to see forward observation slightly simplified, and maybe an ATM nerf? Ammons with ATMs are rape machines at the moment...
>>
>>52332343
I definitely agree with simplifying FO. Right now the wording of it is a little tricky, and figuring out who can do what with who isn't quite as obvious as the devs might have hoped.

As for ATMs though, I feel like Ammons are just too good in general; mainly because of 'Stable', which really needs a solid nerf, but partly because they get two of those launchers as opposed to one.
>>
>>52330262
So its Dust 1947 now...interesting.
>>
>>52332623
Agreed, the only other comparable double ATM unit that comes to mind is the Naga for the South, which is significantly less good.

Stable + Mount is a bullshit combo and getting it on basically everything including striders makes Caprice antifun
>>
File: 1490313406964637279656.jpg (7MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1490313406964637279656.jpg
7MB, 5312x2988px
Anyone want an unboxing?
>>
>>52333770
What is it? I'm not downloading a 6mb photo to find out it wasn't worth the wait on a phone data
>>
>>52333672
For sure; it's not even like ATMs are all that good on their own, it's just that Caprice has such a wickedly powerful piece in their lists.

Take the Grizzly Crossbow for instance; it's a solid choice at 15TV, and packs a pretty powerful set of MATMs, but even at less than half the price of an Ammon, it doesn't have anywhere near the killing power despite having a similar weapon.
>>
>>52333770
Actually, yeah. Would like to see how it comes.
>>
>>52333770
yes please
are you going to do it here or in a new thread?
>>
>>52333949
Rune wars
>>
Does Kings of War have any presence like tournaments and support from Mantic? Does Mantic give a crap about and engage with their players?
>>
>>52334464
Yes I believe so.
>>
>>52334464
yea, on the forum you can talk to the rules writers etc. They are dumb as bricks though and take many things personally.

Plus a large number of the fanbase is dronishly pro Mantic.

I love the game a lot, but the community and the ruleswriters are so shit.
>>
>>52334555
Neat

>>52334600
How's The fluff?
>>
>>52334413
Oh dear, yeah no worries glad I didn't waste my time. Sorry you spent your hard earned on it
>>
>>52334936
Fluff I dont read sorry, I know it's incredibly minimal though. I play for competition mainly and the game is great for it.
>>
>>52334936
borderline nonexistent.
>>
>>52333770
Not a full unboxing, but I'd like to see just how many FFGesque tokens, counters, dials, and special proprietary dice this thing comes with.
>>
>>52330788
Some other weapon options, maybe? I wouldn't mind seeing EW get simplified a bit more.

>>52330240
>got a $100+ starter set as a freebie
Fuck I need to go to more conventions. God damn.
>>
>>52338013
Adepticon swag bags are legendary
>>
>>52338173
And I generally have always avoided it as a "40k or get the fuck out" type event.
>>
>>52338687
Definitely not the case any more. Pretty much every significant game has an event there. The malifaux main event will probably be one of the biggest in the US, for example.
>>
>>52338811
Yeah.

Now if only going wasn't so fucking expensive.
>>
Hey, can someone upload the Deadzone 2nd edition book? My desktop is acting up and I really should just get a copy on my laptop.
>>
>>52311880
Been getting some games of Warzone and Relic Knights in these last few weeks. After the first round of test games our bitching and screeching was actually listened too, so there were some honest to god fixes and improvements in the last relic knights beta document. Leaves me sort of hopeful that sodapop can unfuck themselves and their game after all, not much, but there's an ember of hope smouldering away now.

Either this weekend of some time next week I'll be leading two friends of mine through a proper game of warzone resurrection 2.0 against each other, one is playing Bauhaus and the other is going for Brotherhood. It should be a good time, they both liked the game when I demoed 1.6 and 2.0 to them before, so hopefully they decide to pick this up.
>>
>>52312009
Mel, is that you?
>>
Can any of you fine fa/tg/uys recommend me some wargames I could play on my own? I want to roll some dice but lack a playgroup
>>
>>52341572
Any/All of the Five Men series have solo capabilities.
>>
>>52341572

As >>52341717 said.
I still recommend >>52290839 for sci-fi

Check out
http://tinysolitarysoldiers.blog(not!spam)spot.co.uk/search/label/FiveCore
to see how it plays.

I absolutely love the system, and the campaign elements are great (even solo) - but admit it isn't everyones cup of tea.

But the main book, "Five Core 3rd edition" is an awesome buy for the price, even without the genre-specific additions.

Mucho recommendo
>>
>>52334936
>Kings of War
>How's The fluff?
KoW fluff is almost non-existent. Which is fine, because I see it as basically "Warhammer Fantasy but with better rules and cheaper minis". We basically play in Warhammer universe with a mix of minis from different manufacturers.
>>
>>52342258
Just fyi, the spam filter ignores blogspot if you use .co.nz
>>
>>52329963
Coolminiornot probably has the worst webstore/customer service in the industry. I don't why they bother promoting dark age at all when they make it so difficult to just order the damn product. When you place an order in my experience its like 50/50 whether they will actually bother to ship your order. Its like they do not care at all. They really need to work on this if they don't want to have a bad rep but it seems like all they care about is running kick starters.
>>
>>52309952
The company is pure garbage because of one thing- the owner. Apparently, ego and lack of any sort of urge control plays a big part. As for me, I'm fucking done with them, there's only so many chances you can give someone to not fuck it up.
>>
>>52343454

It's so weird though. Dark Age is so good, and they put so much effort into the product. It's so strange they're so ass at actually selling it.
>>
>>52343169

Didnt know that, cheers for the tip
>>
>>52344417
Yeah thats what I'm saying like I was sold on it, they put so much effort in trying to promote it but actually getting the models from them is like pulling teeth. I've never had an online buying experience like it, you place an order and then you hear nothing for weeks, no response to any messages and maybe if you're lucky after a month they'll ship your order. Its made even more confusing because the confirmation email says they will ship it out in 2-3 days.
>>
>>52345719

Thankfully an online store in my country sells it so I can skip CMON store. I hope they fix that problem soon or at least get more stores to carry it.
>>
>>52345939
What country/store? Ive been having a hard time finding it anywhere online
>>
>>52346176

Meeplemart in Canada stocks a good chunk of the range.
>>
File: 1.jpg (331KB, 1661x851px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
331KB, 1661x851px
Army Lists?

Assault Swarm - 225 pts
Assault Swarm - 225 pts
Large Assault Swarm - 400 pts
Brute Swarm (3x carnifex, 1x Haruspex) - 280 pts
Large Brute Swarm (6x exocrine) - 350 pts
Large Brute Swarm (6x Dactyls) - 350 pts
Genestealers - 150 pts
Genestealers - 150 pts
Lictors - 250 pts
Lictors - 250 pts
Heirophant - 300 pts
2 Zoanthropes distributed somewhere - 70 pts
Total 3,000 pts.

Punching bags for the Dark Angels Marines I have to fight. Finally settled on basing for these guys.
>>
>>52345939
There's some US Distributors, my FLGS carries it so people play out here.

Glad they're getting their 2 Player Starter out in March. That looks actually like a pretty good way to start--- though choosing St. Isaac as one side is really rather specific.
>>
If there's any people still interested in GoA, Warlord put out the army lists for free on their website.

>>52350059
They said they chose Isaac because it was the most sci-fi of the Forsaken, so they could show off the futuristic stuff versus the more primitive stuff with the Ice Caste, while keeping what they feel are the poster boy factions in the box.
>>
Does Oldhammer count as an awg? Or should I go ask in the 40K general?

I just want to talk about 2nd edition ;_;
>>
>>52351211
Oldhammer sometimes gets its own thread.

They're infrequent, but glorious.
>>
>>52351211
>>52351278
Yeah, but when there's not a thread I don't see an issue in it.
>>
File: revol4.jpg (24KB, 333x301px) Image search: [Google]
revol4.jpg
24KB, 333x301px
>>52351278
>>52351305

It was my game of choice as a kid. A friend's brother taught us all to play since he was a lonely neckbeard. So many good memories. I cut my teeth (and never, ever thinned my paints) on those old noise marines.

Tempted to take this: patatovitch.free.fr/trucs/v2_warhammer_40k_Battle_Bible_1_51.pdf

retrofit the missing factions, and try to rekindle interest in my area.
>>
>>52349697
What is this EpicUK?
>>
>>52350059
I really need to find an excuse to buy that set. I love both the factions in it, and the new Ice Caste stuff looks fucking sweet.
>>
What are some good platoon-level game rulesets? 40k and Warmahordes are pretty crappy.
>>
>>52355070
They're crappy because they are skirmish games that have been forced to become platoon-level.
>>
>>52355070
Warzone. Godslayer is pretty solid, too, and has some similar mechanics to Warmahordes. Heavy Gear if you want robot on robot violence(with the handy dash of murdertank thrown in).
>>
>>52352844
Yes. NetEA Tyranids list is garbage.
>>
>>52355161
Why I'm looking around. Trying to do some research, but there's a lot of 40k clones that make up that scale.

>>52355215
Warzone feels bit like it has the issues 40k has. No where near as many, but there's still some. And Heavy Gear feels more like a skirmish game.

Was looking at some things like how TOS and Warpath did it, but the biggest issue I had with them is that the models in the group feel like just wound counters, not individuals coming together to become a greater threat.
>>
>>52355408
Mostly I'm just surprised that we're calling Epic alternate. Not really sure why, I just am.
>>
>>52289706

Great comeback! Anyone on /tg/ not getting this reference should be ashamed!
>>
File: 1479303286603.jpg (96KB, 751x658px) Image search: [Google]
1479303286603.jpg
96KB, 751x658px
>>52285287

Hmm. interesting they change the bases, why they do that I wonder?
I actually thought the "puzzle bases" was one of the few cool things about this game that seemed good. Other than this, there is no denying its just X-Wing in medieval warfare. And judging its released by FFG its going to be the same market strategy as always, limited runs on EVERYTHING, and the good´ol classic buy this to complement this unit (this unit comes with a spear card, but if you want a alternative shield card, you need to buy this box as well... and so it goes on and on and on....). Im telling you, just in case you haven't played X-Wing, FFG has a whole division to calculate on how to make as much profit as possible, they make GW looks like a bunch of basement dwelling neckbeards with no experience in the field what so ever.
>>
>>52356871
I thought they were still in. The promotional stuff still shows them with them, even in the newest ones. The models just come on plug bases to fit into the bigger ones.

Speaking of plug bases, what's the though on the trend? Runewars, TOS, and Warlords' new one Test of Honor all use them.
>>
>>52357056

Hmm, wonder if they will be doing a DUST-warfare kind of move? One base for a more classical "board game feel", and a different base system for the guys wanting to re-live the days of WHFB?
>>
>>52356514

Because it is 100% supported by fans, 2nd hand miniatures, miniatures from other companies, fans turned miniature makers and fan rules updates.
>>
>>52355215

Aren't all tanks murdertanks?
>>
>>52358283
No, some tanks are scout tanks, faster, lightly armed and armoured, they range ahead looking for things the other murderous tanks can murder. Hmm, then this becomes indirect murdertankery.

I guess you're right.
>>
>>52298225
Sounds like someone has FUCK ALL of a clue about human nature, huh?

All it takes is to make the people you are maltreating part of an Other. It's why you American pieces of shit can bray like sheep about "muh fehmunisam" while having ZERO problem with women and children getting bombed to shit in Syria.
>>
>>52358283
Not if ARV's still count as tanks, I guess.
>>
>>52358343
fuck off muhammad
>>
>>52298225
No one hates women quite as much as other women. While men hating men come into direct conflict, women look for ways to fuck with each other as they lack the physical strength/build to go 1 on 1 with another human and not expect serious damage done to them.

>>52358343
Is correct. No one actually cares about people outside of your "in group". We literally cannot care for that many people and it becomes an abstract concept. If 1 person dies around you then you notice it, if 6 million die in Germany. no one gives a shit.
>>
>>52355070
Force on Force and Tomorrow's War, though FoF is more /hwg/ territory. No Stars in Sight (the scifi version of No End In Sight) is pretty good from what I've heard.
>>
File: 0325170829a.jpg (5MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
0325170829a.jpg
5MB, 3984x2988px
Commencing rune wars pic dump
3 books, one is pure fluff. The other is the standard off learn to play and reference pairing.
>>
File: 0325170830.jpg (5MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
0325170830.jpg
5MB, 3984x2988px
>>52358924
Three boards of tokens, movement tools, and scenery elements
>>
File: 0325170831a.jpg (5MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
0325170831a.jpg
5MB, 3984x2988px
>>52358942
Some cards, small cards are unit upgrades and panic effects (as I understand it if you win combat you draw from this deck and potentially apply negative effects on the beaten unit
>>
File: Sulla_01.jpg (84KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
Sulla_01.jpg
84KB, 1000x669px
Anyone stay up with Arena Rex? I'm interested in the game but I never hear anything about it really. The rules seem like fun.
>>
File: 0325170831.jpg (5MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
0325170831.jpg
5MB, 3984x2988px
>>52358975
Forgot to mention, Large cards are reference cards
6 custom dice, 2 d12s for characters and 2 d8s each of 2 colors for units
>>
File: 0325170829b.jpg (5MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
0325170829b.jpg
5MB, 3984x2988px
>>52359006
Puzzle trays are definitely still in
>>
File: 0325170832.jpg (5MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
0325170832.jpg
5MB, 3984x2988px
>>52359022
Models are all unpainted and in assembled, the everything looks like it can be snap fit assembled
>>
File: 0325170835.jpg (5MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
0325170835.jpg
5MB, 3984x2988px
>>52359043
Model detail are decent, not the greatest, but probably better than I expected.
The plastic is fairly hard, I bends a bit, but not as much a TOS models.
>>
>>52359066
How many minis in the box?
>>
>>52359130
Points wise, supposedly both sides are about 1/2 of what they envision as a tourney size army
>>
File: 14904515554811373078384.jpg (5MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
14904515554811373078384.jpg
5MB, 3984x2988px
>>52358998
Actually just bought in at adepticon, arena rex and aetherium were my 2 splash entries for the year
>>
>>52359234
Hm, thought it'd be a cheapo source for skellingtons, but it's not THAT cheap, then.

Still, Might pick up a set.
>>
>>52359299
Keep an eye on eBay in the couple of months, there will probably be glut of people unloading their free copies
>>
>>52359674
Postage alone would make it not worth it. I'll wait till my F-not-so-LGS gets it and buy it from them.
>>
What is your favorite scale to play at and why?
>>
>>52360223
For big battles I like 10mm for rank-and-file warfare (i.e. ancients up to ~WW1) and 6mm for WW2 and moderns.

For company scale downwards I like 15mm.

Ease of storage and portability are priorities for me.
>>
>>52360223
For skirmishing (5-30 figures) 28mm, same scale for mass fantasy (War of the Ring, Armies of Arcana, KoW) 28mm as well, for anything else, 1:72.
>>
>>52343454
Can confirm placed an order last sunday, said they'd ship in 2-3 days, nothing. Wondering if I should start a paypal dispute.
>>
>>52360223
6mm for Brigade scale, 10mm for rank and file mass battle, 15mm for Platoon scale, and 28mm for squad and fireteam scale.
>>
>>52309952

The odd thing is they never did anything with that 3mm post-45 WW2 game they had on display at Salute last year. Loads of tiny Tiger 2's and Maus squadrons backed up by Rattes taking on TOG-2's and Super Pershings.

I actually liked that someone was doing a post-45 WW2 game that DIDN'T involve mechs or Nazi-Werewolves.

Because it's not like there aren't perfectly reasonable scenarios that could have lengthened that war that DON'T have unobtainium or Zombies in them you know? Like, for instance Hitler having a severe stroke in '41.
>>
>>52358283

Not in most settings with Mechs. In Heavy Gear they still are.
Helicopter Gunships are about as rape in HG as they are in real life as well.
>>
>>52360223
I adore 32mm for anything from skirmish to platoon games. The scale is perfect for modelling and detail, it's the point where truescale looks good with no trade-offs and very slight exaggarations make the miniatures look absolutely gorgeous. It's also when faces look actually good and women can actually look like women and not the abominations that mostly dominate 28mm. The scale also gives the same feeling of personality and customizability as 28mm, making it perfect for skirmish and good for platoons. I really fucking wish 32mm would supplant 28mm entirely, that scale has become an abomination unto wargaming.

Although I'm always torn between 32mm and 15mm for platoon-sized games. 32mm gives a greater amount of detail and convertability for infantry, 15mm delivers more impressive centerpieces and a greater deal of maneuverability on the battlefield.
>>
>>52358343
Its more like, how can leftards care more about muh properly designed bathrooms and muh pronouns while women are children are literally being enslaved in some places.
>>
>>52361639

Easy answer they dont. They just enjoy complaining about things whilst having the illusion of being on their high horse.
>>
Hey /awg/, do have of you have Mantic's hard plastic Plague Troopers? How's the sprue quality wise?
>>
>>52285287
i like the style of the minis. very warcraft-ish in a good way.

i don't like them being pre-painted, but thats just preference. I can prime over it.

I'm not following FFG news all that much, do we know a price for the game yet?
>>
>>52304836
>Was looking at picking up the starter set. Is it any good?

The starter set? Yes, its very good value for the price they are asking.

The game? See>>52313965

That being said, there is a 2nd (smaller/cheaper) starter set with a smaller starter rulebook out there. This smaller book is actually a better rulebook than the actual, big, hardcover book.
Get this if you want to try the game. That set is only 35 pound so if you end up hating the game you haven't wasted to much money.
>>
>>52328767
The creator is still a jew and tries to rip people off, but apparently the backers of their last KS almost all got their stuff (after a terribly long waiting time).

New walkers and tanks look cool (as usual), but they are above GW in their prices at this point.

Infantry looks terrible though
>>
>>52362881
They are not prepainted.
See >>52359043
>>
>>52362881
>very warcraft-ish in a good way.

That's pretty much the thing that's got me interested in it - after painting some really kind of detailed, fiddly stuff, it'd be nice to paint some models that feel like they'll handle a sort of warcraft-y colour scheme and style well.
>>
>>52362545
You mean the Stage 3s with the grenade launcher, mortar, flamer, etc?
>>
>>52282715
Is Mordheim allowed here?
>>
>>52366107
Yes
>>
>>52366170
allright!

I just began a game with one of my friends, he 's been playing since forever. I started a warband and he started another so he can play with me while teaching me. I 've always wanted to play fantasy rpg's and strategy games but I never got the chance. The mechanics/gameplay are good and realistic, although it's taking me sometime to learn. Through /tg/ I 've learned about Atomic Highway, which is much simpler.

We played two games, it was a lot of fun. And although I am willing and keen on making names up, I couldn't think of satisfactory Skaven names. Since Mordheim only includes Skaven from the Eshin, I simply named my band "Battlevermin (of the Eshin)". I named my leader Chowk, the Shadowhunter.
What do you think?
>>
>>52365634

Yeah, those. I really want to get them, in the pictures I've found on the internet they seem to be ok quality wise, but I wanna make sure thats the case.
>>
>>52360223
6mm for everything, no exceptions. I took the plunge, and now everything in a bigger scale just looks bulky and ugly to me.
>>
Which of these would sound preferable for a fantasy set game?

>Skirmish game where the average model count is 6-8, but can range from swarms of 12-14 models or as low as a 50-60mm monster and 2 or 3 others

Or

>Platoon-ish size with 6-10 grouping of 3 models, one or two large models, and a few individual characters
>>
>>52366290
I like your names. I would hesitate from adding "The X" to a guy in 'heim only because it's kinda cool to add nicknames as they accrue serious injuries or what not.

Say Chowk got crippled or so. Becomes Chowk the Lame. Or maybe he gets +1 LD. Chowk the Brave etc.
>>
>>52368807
The scope of the game itself, without any other criteria is purely personal preference.

I'm a big fan of customizing my miniatures, so I prefer a lower model count these days.
But that has nothing to do with the rules of the game then.
>>
Any good fantasy skirmish games or rank and file games?
>>
>>52369222
>good
That's kind of a loaded question, because good means a lot of different things to different people.
I'd say Frostgrave is a good game cause it feeds your imagination and lets you use whatever miniatures you like. Other may say it's bad because it's not balanced for competitive play.

In other words, the better question to ask would be 'is there a fantasy game in this scale, with that scope that lets me do these things?'
Then you'll get useful answers.
>>
>>52358924
>>52358942
>>52358975
>>52359006
>>52359022
>>52359043
>>52359066
Thanks!

>>52357056
>TOS
What is this? I keep seeing the acronym and have no idea what game it is.
>>
>>52369301

28mm-32mm skirmish game

15-32mm rank and file system.

Need a unique turn order instead of just "I go U go." Would like nice looking minis and a good universe.
>>
>>52369156
I'm asking around since 1. to test the waters on what kind game niche is needed or wanted, and 2. the response to which scale would a game with bigger pieces gets the most interest.

Personally, I prefer the larger scale for bigger pieces. Its not Warmahordes ridiculous with a colossal hanging out on the field with 20 infantry, but there's still a scale issue for me. But that doesn't mean there aren't people that don't see that, and wouldn't mind a game where you can possible field a single giant or drake as the majority of your army.

>>52369366
The Other Side, Wyrd's new game.
>>
>>52368807
Neither of those sound appealing. They sound like the generic options we constantly see.
>>
>>52369664
What's a niche/scale that feels like its underutilized for fantasy?
>>
>>52370171
I want a couple small models at 15mm scale just fucking up a battlefield. Dragons, balrogs, giants.
>>
File: img12.jpg (60KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
img12.jpg
60KB, 640x480px
>>52370171
Actual mass battles, and not just warhammer/kings of war large skirmish games. Maybe I just haven't looked enough, but the only rulesets I've found that have that gameplay are Hordes of the Things (nice, but I like a little more complexity) and Warmaster (admittedly never played, but it seemed like people say it was unbalanced). Something that's balanced between complexity and balance would be fun, I've been thinking of something similar to SAGA but with a lot of modifications for a smaller scale
>>
>>52370171
28mm skirmish armies is a dead genre right now. like 30ish models is just gone because it's all become GW's bowling trophies with infantry around it or Malifauxs 10 models with insanely complex rules.
>>
>>52370434
Fuck I want real platoon sized games
>>
>>52370407

The only other mass battle ruleset I know of is THW's 'Rally round the King' - which is totally unlike SAGA, though.
Still, it mixes HotT and Warmaster with a heavy dose of THW's mechanic.

SAGA has a unique mechanics & not many (any?) games use it. Thank God.
>>
>>52370634

Isn't that bolt action and BTGOA?
>>
>>52370353
So a Monster Mash?

>>52370407
Honestly, I have no interest in mass battles. Just never caught my attention.

>>52370434
I've seen a lot of skirmish come out lately, but nothing sticks. Could be an oversaturation of games?
>>
>>52370948
They all fall into the problems I've listed. There's nothing like original Warmachine, it's just the same shit over and over.
>>
>tfw still miss Confrontation

I even liked CAoR and the prepaints, sempaitachi
>>
>>52371098

any news on the new one?
>>
>>52371098
I liked the rules for CAoR. Models were garbage, but the rules were good.
>>
>>52371109
IDK, to be honest I've deliberately not followed it and decided to regard it as vaporware until I see a solid product with potential longevity come out.

I just don't want my to get hopes up only to have them shit on.
>>
>>52371010
WoK feels abit like original Warmachine to me.

Unless you mean Prime era, before the special rules bloat.
>>
>>52370634
Warzone: resurrection's an option. 25-30 odd dudes a side, minimal vehicles unless you're opting for a heavy OOC game, and then you've got just the one medium or heavy tank or walker and maybe some light vehicles if you can spare the points. And not many people play the Heavy OOC games.
>>
>>52371275

I second this. Fun game, nice number of models without going too far, and cool setting/models.
>>
>>52371323
>>52371275

Look at warzone as a alternative to bolt action? You guys think it'd be worth it?
>>
>>52371275
It always seemed a little too skirmishy for me with those number of models. Is it something that actually works out well without being bogged down too much?
>>
>>52371195
WoK is?
>>
>>52371398
Hmm, I think so, both games have a fairly similar activation mechanic. But I don't have experience with Bolt Action to make an informed opinion on choosing between them, suffice to say I'll be recommending Warzone since it's one of my favourite games.

The rules are a free download from Prodos and I'm sure you've enough models on hand to do a few proxy games to get a feel for it and compare notes between the two games. That'd be my suggestion.
>>
>>52371275
Thatis the most generic sci fi game I've ever seen. It looks more like a range of proxies than a real setting.
>>
>>52371536
Wrath of Kings.
>>
>>52371592
>It looks more like a range of proxies than a real setting.
O-oh yeah? So does your mom!
>>
Semi-related follow-up question, how badly do you think an opposed roll system would bog down a platoon level game?
>>
>>52371472
I'd say so, yes, when you're learning and getting used to how squads work it can be a big of a bog, but once you get a handle on the Actions and how each model operates on its own in the squad things pick up significantly. I'm a Crusader for Prodos, one of the volunteer demo team, and from what I see when at shops and shows is just that, people grasping at the mechanics and once they do play smooths out, it's largely a learning curve thing.

I hope that was coherent enough.
>>
>>52358998
I love through models, but don't have the painting skill to do them justice. The rules are fun to play. Pity that the models I got turned out to be from all different factions.
>>
Hey guys. Is there a PDF of the LoTR rule book/s anywhere? I'm looking for the Rohan rules. But I've been out of the scene for a while and i'm not entirely sure what I need.
>>
>>52371398

Depends on what you like. I admit I am not big into historicals so can't comment on bolt action. Love Warzone's Dieselpunk sci fi though so I am biased and think you should go for it.
>>
>>52372173

How's the turn order anon? Release schedule? How are the game devs? Know anywhere where it's easy to look up local players?

Legitimately curious because I'm highly interested. Looking into more games for projects wise.
>>
>>52372232

Alternate activations. Release schedule is monthly (Or close to).

Game devs are nice but aren't quite as active as I'd like I'd admit. They do spoilers and say the odd thing but they're not super community involved like some games.

Looking up players, not sure. The forums used to have some posts but not so much now. Facebook gets all the focus so you could ask there.
>>
>>52372297

Hmmm,, well I'll definitely keep it on my radar of things to look into.
>>
I'm a fucking sucker for Asian inspired units and games, how is Kensei as a game if anyone's played it?
>>
>>52367254
I have them and they look really nice. Haven't assembled them yet, but the quality is top notch like with every new plastic Mantic minis.

>>52369222
Armies of Arcana.

>>52371592
Then I'd advise you to get your eyes checked, lad.
>>
>>52370679
>>52370407

IMHO, there will never be a popular set of mass-battle fantasy rules.
People wanna see action - not their troops running away.
>>
>>52361315
Haha...really? You expected them to follow up on it? It's another one into the pile of dead ideas from Spartan.
>>
>>52361315
>>52374302

It was because the response was "another game, really?", which they totally got wrong and thought everyone meant "another licence, really?", and ended up with the shitshow that was the Dystopian Empires kickstarter.
>>
>>52375185
And then they were genuinely shocked by the reaction to Dystopian Empires.
>>
Got in a demo of Rune Wars at adepticon, an was a bit surprised how much I enjoyed it. It definitely felt like a fantasy war, not like a reskin of Armada/x-wing as I had expected.
>>
>>52375353
Anon, I'm not really sure why you thought Rune Wars would be anything like Armada/X-wing. Armada and X-wing don't even play like each other as is.
>>
>>52359066
How are the human models?
>>
Anyone here play Man O' War? Or know of any alternatives? I'm desperate for a Fantasy fleet action game but I only know of Man O' War and dreadfleet.
>>
>>52288635
This is Ivan, know him and hate him.
>>
Does anybody have a list of manifacturers that produce actual 30-32mm and not just oversized hurroic scale?
>>
>>52368848
>I would hesitate from adding "The X" to a guy in 'heim only because it's kinda cool to add nicknames as they accrue serious injuries or what not.

nice, and I thought I had a wild imagination.
>>
>>52378155
I don't have a list, but from the top of my head
Infinity
Statuesque Miniatures
Shieldwolf just previewed a new plastic kit with female warriors
Enigma Miniatures

These are the first that come to mind.
Something specific you are looking for?
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.