[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 51

File: DWEX14-2.jpg (459KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
DWEX14-2.jpg
459KB, 900x600px
Everyone is too lazy to make a new thread edition.

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread >>52079550
>>
I'll just leave this here:

https://cmon.com/news/cmon-limited-announces-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game-3f2b5240-6cf8-4ef5-ab1d-c58d8d23527a
>>
File: Its unknown.gif (1002KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
Its unknown.gif
1002KB, 250x251px
>>52175522
After having an argument with a friend, I want to know what /awg/ thinks of campaign systems in games.

What kind of campaigns do you guys like and why?
>>
>>52175598

What was the argument about specifically?

I like games with individual unit progression, injuries, interaction with opponents outside of games, territory control and expansion and a wee bit of financing and book keeping.

So basically Necromunda and Mordheim style games.

>>52175560

CMoN are almost as bad at supporting their games as spartan are, arguably worse in some respects. I don't expect much from this.
>>
>>52175598
I like them on principle, but I've rarely seen well executed ones and end up making my own.
I only really liked Mighty Empires, especially the older versions
>>
>>52175753
>What was the argument about specifically?

The argument was largely about complexity, I argued in favour of more complicated campaigns that have the ability to have a meaningful influence on the tabletop battles, whereas my friend believed that this would detract from the game and that simple campaign systems that exist to provide context, but not change the balance of the actual battles in a meaningful way.
>>
>>52175932

Depends what he means by a meaningful way since almost anything is going to change the normal balance of the game.

Regardless I agree with you.
>>
File: Lyceum_von_Machstein_1.jpg (39KB, 580x291px) Image search: [Google]
Lyceum_von_Machstein_1.jpg
39KB, 580x291px
>>52175522
Is it wrong to not want to play against someone using one of the Dystopian Wars Kickstarter 'design your own' models if they didn't make it publicly available?
>>
>>52176282

Yes
>Had chance to contribute to development of game in exchange for a cool thing
>Didn't take it
>Later complain
versus
>Enthusiastically support developer and get a neat reward
>Faggots won't play you because "bawww it should be free for everyone hurrr"
>>
>>52176282

Depends on the specifics, is it actually unique or just an alternate sculpt? Is it overpowered or otherwise broken?
>>
>>52175522
is dystopian wars any good? I probobly wont have anyone playing it in my town, but i fucking love the style and i have a big need for dem ships
>>
>>52175522

What is the cheapest war game out there?

Is there game made in creative commons where you can print and cut out square icons for units instead of buying and making models?
>>
>>52176591
If there's not, I'll start writing one.
>>
>>52176410
>your fault for not having £800 to blow on a dead game.
>supporting someone's super special snowflake boat
>no community oversight for balance
>literal pay to win
>supporting a company that won't even support their own game
>>
>>52176410
>it should be free for everyone
>somehow equivalent to "it should not be a kickstarter exclusive for top tier backers only"

KS exclusives are shit at the best of times. KS exclusives for only certain backers are doubly shit.

The "design a unit" pledge should have been "design something we will sell to everyone" because that way everyone gets to use the awesome ship.

Note I said SELL to everyone, not give away. It should have been a perfectly ordinary model sold as part of their range, KS backers just getting it included in their pledge.
>>
>>52177042
Should add - the idea of a "design a unit" pledge was a cool one. I liked that.

I just don't like KS exclusives unless they're purely cosmetic stuff like the Dropfleet battlecruisers.
>>
File: ares vs hydra.jpg (579KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ares vs hydra.jpg
579KB, 1500x1000px
Anyone here who backed Mythic Battles? Gonna be my first war game. Can't wait to finally play it. :)
>>
>>52177071
I did.

I don't know if it will be good. I do know if it's not all that there's always Of Gods and Mortals or even possibly Saga for a load of ancient myth stuff...
>>
File: IMAG0583.jpg (757KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0583.jpg
757KB, 1344x760px
>>52176544
I like it. If you want to play it, you'll have to build your own community pretty much anywhere you go, it seems to be rare enclaves that play DW.
>>
>>52176591
You are looking for chit wargames, the most famous one being OGRE here.
>>
File: bwak bwak.jpg (82KB, 750x491px) Image search: [Google]
bwak bwak.jpg
82KB, 750x491px
Bumping
>>
>>52181974
what the hell I'm looking at?
>>
>>52175522
Quick question

Is Kings of War and Mantic's other stuff dead or something? I remember it was fucking huge for a bit and it's just been really damn quiet despite their own forums seeming active and yet I've never really seen anything for it in my area.
>>
>>52182008
The anti-KFC revolution?
>>
>>52182376
I mean what game?
>>
>>52182100
It's still alive and thriving, maybe just not in your area. Why don't you ask your local player base why interest has dried up?
>>
>>52182649
I'm afraid I can't answer that question anon, I grabbed this image from a previous thread.
>>
>>52182649
I don't think its for a specific game.
>>
Is the lotr strategy battle game any good?
>>
>>52185410
They stopped making the miniatures for it. Now the only miniatures they make are for the Hobbit version.
>>
>>52185410
It's very solid mechanically. Don't play the Hobbit or mass battle version.
>>
>>52185464

What's wrong with the hobbit? i thought it was just an updated LOTR ruleset.
>>
>>52185501
You ever watch the movies? That's whats wrong with the Hobbit.
>>
>>52185540
If the mechanics are fine then I don't see a huge issue with it. I agree that the movies were a shameless cashgrab though.
>>
>>52185563
From what I've heard, there's some issues with the Hobbit version. I know the power attacks with the different weapon types is one, some are obviously better than others, but there's no compensation for it.
>>
>>52185410
Yes, but it needs some alterations from eBob's Rebellion regarding melee combat. Otherwise it's good, and Legends of the Old West uses the same mechanisms.

>>52185464
War of the Ring is good as well, might I ask why do you not recommend it?
>>
Played Double Tap in 15mm last night against someone who hadn't wargamed since they were a teen. Halved distances and playing on a 2'x2' table, worked a treat.
I like being able to chuck everything I need for a game, including terrain, into a small bag.

Also made me realise that Infinity's -3 to hit on a d20 modifiers are very nearly the same percentage wise as a -1 to hit modifier on a d6, which is interesting.
>>
>>52176544

Yes and no. I like the models, the rules are mediocre, and the company is terrible.
>>
File: IMAG1393.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1393.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
Bump for Dark Age
Anyone got favorite factions? I think the Outcasts just do it for me, with the Mad Max gangs and rules that need you to scavenge the field for upgrades mid fight.

Don't see the use of the Manhunter though, if people have experience in the game. It doesn't seem quite as good as fielding a Bully in most occasions.
>>
>>52192150
I do not play this game but I think that its robutts look rad.
>>
Wargames based Mechas or other rather "big" units?
>>
>>52193976

Heavy Gear?

Battletech? So ugly and clunky that you can't help but love it?
>>
>>52192150
I want these, they look awesome. Would fit into TNT without a second thought.
>>
>>52192150

Kukulkani all the way. Having trouble figuring out how to paint them though....
>>
File: 20171585622928680.jpg (122KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
20171585622928680.jpg
122KB, 1152x2048px
>>
File: DSCN74633.jpg (147KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN74633.jpg
147KB, 750x1000px
>>52193976
How big?
>>
>>52195026
BIGGER
>>
File: C6ICFeMUsAEIhUN.jpg (233KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C6ICFeMUsAEIhUN.jpg
233KB, 900x1200px
>>52195042
Better?
>>
>>52185410
I like it. It's fun, pretty easy to pick up, and there are a lot of models which I think still display a superior quality to anything else GW's ever put out. It gets harder and harder to find minis each year, though.

Mechanically, my only problem with it is that there's no reason to take Tier 1 heroes from a points perspective. For what it'd cost to put Aragon on the table, you can take like 20 goblins and a pair of captains. It's hard to justify, which sucks since the exploits mighty heroes is kind of what LotR is all about.
>>
>>52195446
It works a bit better as a scenario driven game where you replay scenes from the movies.

Also, try the melee rules from Rebellion - it handles it much better. I. e.: you have two orcs in base contact with an elf, the two orcs roll a 2 and a 5, the elf rolls a 4, so one of the orcs land a hit on the elf, but the elf lands a hit as well because his score of 4 beats the other orc's two.
>>
>>52195444
MOAR. WE CAN GO BIGGER.
>>
File: giant-robot_2292788k.jpg (100KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
giant-robot_2292788k.jpg
100KB, 858x536px
>>52195615
I dunno man, I think at some point it ceases to be a tabletop game
>>
>>52195661
>I think at some point it ceases to be a tabletop game
If you're a manlet.
>>
>>52195494
>It works a bit better as a scenario driven game where you replay scenes from the movies.

Agreed. I didn't mean to give the impression that I take a power gamey attitude towards it - I mean, it's not like there are any tournaments around. I still play it because I like it.

I brought up my point just because, for a newcomer, the internal balance of the point system is kinda fucky. You can't plunk down Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli and then expect them to hold their own against 35 Uruk-hai despite the points cost suggesting equality.

>Also, try the melee rules from Rebellion - it handles it much better.
Thanks. I'll check this out.
>>
>>52195772
>You can't plunk down Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli and then expect them to hold their own against 35 Uruk-hai despite the points cost suggesting equality.
Well, put them back to back, defending a chokepoint, and they'll work better.

What I don't like about the melee is that it's a single die roll basically - the fight value of the figures doesn't factored in unless the die rolls are equal.
>>
Are there any fantasy post-apocalypse wargames?
>>
>>52197537
Technically wouldn't Age of Sigmar count?
>>
>>52195444
>>52195026

Someone wanna give me a rundown on GKR?
>>
>>52198276
The GW bows to GKR
>>
File: ABOUT_THE_GAME_IMAGE-1.jpg (2MB, 2732x3094px) Image search: [Google]
ABOUT_THE_GAME_IMAGE-1.jpg
2MB, 2732x3094px
>>52198276
Weta Workshop 3D printed a bunch of robots they thought looked neat and then packaged them as a 2-4 player skirmish boardgame about competitive demolition
>>
>>52198565

Neat, not really my thing but neat.
>>
File: gallery06.jpg (1MB, 2048x2429px) Image search: [Google]
gallery06.jpg
1MB, 2048x2429px
>>52198565
And for reasons that aren't yet clear they've designed robots at multiple scales, ranging from the roughly fist-sized robots in the board game, to some newborn sized models they showed to Adam Savage, to grown-ass-man size.
>>
>>52198622
I think the reason is that they're Weta and they just want any excuse to build cool stuff.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (172KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
172KB, 1280x720px
>>52198637
Reason enough, perhaps.
>>
>>52198678
>>52198622

I can see a movie being pitched for this or a show.

I'd watch the shit out of it.
>>
>>52198697
Well if nothing else, the practical effects on said show/movie would be great.
>>
DeadZone or Infinity?
what are the differences in both games? I mean I'm asking and I know the only thing in common both have is that both are skirmish focused wargames. but appart of that I can't tell anything else.
>>
>>52198856

Haven't played deadzone but infinity is amazing game if a tad complex with a kinda shitty parent company.

Really amazing game that keeps everyone at the table engaged as you play.
>>
>>52199111
ughhhh what's wrong with Corvus Belli
They're supposed to be the anti-GW don't do me like this
>>
>>52198856

Deadzone is beer and pretzels where as Infinity is fairly complicated and can encourage people to play in a WAAC kind of way.

Both are pretty terrain heavy but DZ is played on a 2"x2" board split into an 8x8 grid so uses less terrain overall.
>>
>>52199147

Anon trust me they're better than say GW or Privateer Press but they're not amazing. But then again my gripes with them are... well opinion and if you want I can get into it but just take what I say with salt.

Anyways the pros.

>Amazing sculpts truly a painters game
>Supremely well balanced
>Growing scenes EVERYWHERE
>Company is super friendly and are hobbyists as well.
>Each faction, each sectorial plays very differently while looking samey on the surface
>You are engaged in the game no matter who's turn it is.
>Really great tactical gameplay
>Some pretty good lore for a game.
>>
>>52199317
now talk me about costs
how much will it cost me to assemble a team or two?

>>52199289
mmm things to take on consideration. I like deadzone mostly due the forge fathers but if infinity is the more "meaty" game then I might think about this a moment.
>>
>>52199647

You going for a full army as in at the point size most everyone plays at?

130-170 bucks depending on the force. But that's just one force. However at 150 points you can get a force for like 30-50 bucks from the starters.
>>
>>52199317
I've played Infinity for 3 years or so and the main annoying thing about CB is their often weird release/resculpting schedule, but I can't think of any gripes aside from that?
>>
>>52199922

Ehh I don't like the price point of the minis, how they're not converter friendly, release schedule, and rule complexity.

That's just me though anon. I should have not made them sound horrible of the bat.
>>
>>52199111
They're a great parent company, what are you talking about? They show up to cons and have a good time, and partake in the community's awful jokes.

Customer service is good, and they're pretty modest guys. Very small business that's doing well sorta thing. And they take care of local production and what their vision of their game IP is.
>>
>>52201304

Look

>>52200175
>>52199317

I already showed that it was personal bias and already wish I could retract my statement.
>>
>>52197537
There was Leviathan by Scotia-Grendel. Was because it was published in 1994 and there was a restructuring that pretty much killed it. You can still purchase a PDF of it and purchase the minis, but they're rather ugly.
>>
>>52201494
No worries bruh. :) Anything that floats your boat.
>>
>>52198856
Deadzone. Much better price, no 0.5mm surface to glue, factions that are actually interesting and visually different...Infinity struck me as kind of bland. Nice minis, but nothing that strikes me as "hey, I WANT to play these!".

>>52199147
Which company didn't try being the anti-GW? Sadly with those prices they aren't doing it that great.
>>
>>52204515
The table needed for the game is fixed, 2'x2' so you don't need a fuckhueg table with lots of terrain which is nice. It's quick, and has a nice campaign system you can play entirely on an afternoon. Your mooks gather experience, can gain new skills, new equipment...plus the starter for it is not that expensive, and is more than enough to start with.

Then, there are the faction boosters, with those you'll have everything needed for the game. Only thing you might need is some more terrain, but you can scratchbuild some really neat things.
>>
>>52204625
Grab the starter with the Enforcers and Forgefathers.
>>
File: don dokkn smug.jpg (26KB, 547x480px) Image search: [Google]
don dokkn smug.jpg
26KB, 547x480px
>>52199111
Infinity isn't a complex game it's a mile wide inch deep rules set

most common action you'll be taking in that game is hugging each peice of terrian while getting killed by luck AROs
But it has replaced warmachine in being i'm not playing 40k for superiority reasons
>>
>>52203866
>Opinions: the Post

In the end what matter is whether one likes the game's style or not. Secondary reasons include pricing and existence and quality of the local scene.
>>
>>52204731

Sure, so to start with the game's namesake. A Deadzone is the name giving to a planet that for whatever reason has been placed in a containment protocol by humanities ruling council of seven. It is the ultimate sanction used not only to prevent whatever is on the planet spreading but also news of it happening at all. Anyone found on a planet declared a Deadzone, human or otherwise, is considered hostile and lethal force is authorised. While this makes Deadzones extremely dangerous they can also be highly lucrative. Functionally the resources of an entire planet are up for grabs and everyone has perfect deniability as the planet they stole from technically no longer exists.

The Plague: A virus that humanity accidently unleashed and is now trying to keep secret the plague transforms those infected into a variety of forms from a lowly zombie to a walking tank. The Plague are the primary antagonists in the fluff and usually the reason for why a planet becomes a Deadzone. In terms of play style they are typically hodes of chuds backed up by larger monsters, fast moving and melee focused with little effective shooting.

Enforcers: The Space Marines of the setting, Enforcers are humanity's best soldiers entrusted with the task of making sure nothing gets in or out of a Deadzone. Much like their 40k counterparts Enforcers are not necessarily the good guys, they are unquestioningly loyal to the ruling council of humanity and as the name suggest they enforce their will whether that involves saving a planet or destroying it makes no difference. Solid jack of all trades faction with above average troops, survivability, and mobility. Focused more on shooting than melee but they can do both.
>>
>>52206231

Veer-myn: The second most common reason for a planet becoming a Deadzone is Veer-myn infestation. Veer-myn and giant man sized sentient rats. It is unknown if Veer-myn are aliens or super evolved/mutated rats but what is known is that they spread disease and famine wherever they go and that their crude technology emits lethal levels of radiation. Veer-myn have never communicated with any of the other races and no one knows they're motivation. Veer-myn play very much like Plague but with more of a focus on shooting than melee, they have quite a few chemical weapons that function like flame throwers.

Forge Fathers: Though relatively few in number Forge Fathers are one of the most technologically advanced races in the universe and they use this technology to mine entire solar systems, cracking planets and rendering them down until nothing is left. Forge Fathers have little respect for territory and it's brought them into conflict with humanity before which is why they are always eager to exploit a Deadzone. Humanity can't go to war with the Forge Fathers over a planet that technically never existed. Forge Fathers are a highly elite army, they excel at pretty much everything and are especially tough to kill. They are however comparatively slow and will almost always be outnumbered, even by the elite Enforcers.
>>
>>52206241

Asterians: Another technologically advanced race The Asterians are essentially the space elves of the setting. Aloof, and obsessed with universal balance Asterians are the self appointed arbiters of the universe. They make sure that balance is maintained at all costs. Most Asterians have little taste for violence and warfare and as such they make heavy use of robots and drones, though some live as outcasts and relish the thrill of personal combat. Asterians are another very elite army, they have the best ranged combat ability in the game and as their forces are mostly robots they are immune to a variety of effects, the robots are quite fragile however and can't take much punishment. Glass hammers.

Marauders: Space orc mercenaries that are the reason that Enforcers exist. Marauders used to be the beat stick of humanity until they rebelled, the rebellion was so devastating that humanity had to push all it's resources into a super soldier program and blow up a sun to stop it. Ever since Marauders have been the subject of strict sanctions and their population numbers have been heavily controlled. Marauders are another jack of all trades faction but more trickey and less survivable than enforcers. IMO they have some of the best units in the game.

Rebs: All the humans and aliens that don't want to be apart of humanities vast empire, be they freedom fighters or unapologetic terrorists that's the one thing that unites all the rebs. Lacking the ability to mobilise as an actual army Rebs are often found in Deadzones looking for supplies, recruits, and a way to hurt the corporations that make up the Human empire and the empire itself. Simply having evidence of what goes on within a Deadzone or proof of the existence of The Plague or The Veer-myn would help their cause. Rebs are another trickey faction, very lightly armoured, but quite cheap and they can bring a lot of specialists to the field.
>>
>>52206231

Huh, I didn't notice the post was deleted while I was typing.

Oh well.
>>
File: Jungle Book B 2.jpg (356KB, 1272x458px) Image search: [Google]
Jungle Book B 2.jpg
356KB, 1272x458px
>>
I need help /awg/

I want some sci fi miniatures for skirmish games but I can't find anything convincing, whether it's because of design or by price.

What ranges do you guys recommend?
>>
>>52207711
What scale? What sort of sci fi? What kind of aesthetics?

The question is far too broad to give much help.
>>
Are we at the point where Kings of War gets discussed here? Did KoW fail that badly?
>>
>>52207791

28mm. Space Opera sci fi I guess. Aliens, robots, etc. Aesthetics wise, anything besides Infinity, I can't do justice yo those models. (And they are kinda expensive)

>>52208569
It's growing everywhere, I guess there is nothing wrong or polemic rules wise, and this being /tg/, well....
>>
>>52208569
It didn't fail (at least here In spain), plenty of competitions and stuff. I dunno why it isn't discussed more desu, pretty fun, fast and balanced game. I'm more of a Skirmisher gamer myself tough.
>>
>>52207791
Mantic make nice generic scifi. Hasslefree, Ground Zero Games and Khurusan do too, but I don't know if they're 28mm.

If none of those catch your fancy then you could always check Reaper for stuff.
>>
>>52207711
What kind of sci-fi? Several makers of not-epic proxies have upscaled their stuff to 15mm if you're interested in gothic 40k style sci-fi. Vanguard minis has 15mm orks and Onslaught has 15mm guard and police in the works but not released yet.
>>
>>52208702
>28mm. Space Opera sci fi I guess. Aliens, robots, etc.
You could check out the Rogue Stars range. Reaper also has loads of odds and ends.
Gates of Antares is also worth a look for skirmishes. For some reason the rules and the metal kits come in multiples of six. So a single box of metal models is enough to play Rogue Stars for example.
If you are looking for something more retro future in style you could check out Hydra miniatures' Retro Raygun.
Bombshell miniatures also has this old school Flash Gordon feel.
Crooked Dice have some stuff you could use too. Like the generic henchmen from the Moonraker space station from the James Bond movie or the a team of Apes from the Planet of the Apes. Kind of specific though.
Copplestone Castings has some cool stuff in their Future Wars range. Predators and more generic Robots.
Foundry has a bunch of 2000ad models.
These days you can find Sedition Wars at a discount too, so that's another possibility.
>>
>>52194069
Love the guy on the bottom, second to the right. Cover-art of Mechwarrior 2 and also the design GW ripped off for its old dreads.
>>
>>52208569
>>52208733

There just isn't that much to discuss about it. The fluff is to generic to really get invested in and the rules themselves aren't complex enough or controversial to promote discussion either.

It's a fine game and I'll always recommend it to anyone looking for some rank and flank but there just isn't really anything to talk about.

>>52208702

I'd second Mantic, at least for hard plastics. I'd avoid the restic stuff which unfortunately is most of the aliens. But between the Enforcers, Pathfinders, and GCPS plastic kits (that should be out next month) you should have everything you need for generic sci-fi humans.
>>
>>52209010
The rules are elegant and easy to understand. The only real discussion to be had is what minis to use/adapt.

I decided against getting into the game simply because of the time constraints involved in painting a 28mm army. 10mm and smaller only, for me.
>>
>>52209132
You can use the game with those scales, I think reducing the distances from inches to cm worked well, some anon praised it at least.

Also what are good generic games for 15mm? I'm digging that range for sci-fi.
>>
>>52208911
Thanks desu. Haven't considered Gates of Antares before.

>>52209010

I want to like Deadzone/Warpath minis, but can't make them grow on me. The Veermyn for example, love the idea, not so much the execution/final product (those rat ogres are too smooth for example).

Those new corporation troopers look excellent, though.
>>
>>52209693
Grab a box and see them for yourself anon. A single box wouldn't break the bank, plus lots of sprues floating around from the Kickstarters.
>>
>>52209302
For 15 mm, Gruntz & Tomorrows War seem to by the bywords. There's also Fast & Dirty, which is free.
>>
>>52209693
>rat ogres are too smooth for example

The sad reality of digital sculpting.

Just look at the new AoS Dwarfs, the details are way to smooth.
>>
>>52210059
I will wait for new releases first. Do Youtube know if there's plans yo ditch restic for another material
>>52211885
I can understand that un smaller models, but on big things, like those rat ogres, there is no excuse for me.
>>
>>52212135
>Do Youtube know if there's plans yo ditch restic for another material
Thanks to faggots like you, everything that's not plastic is in metal now.
>>
>>52212167
I prefer metal honestly. Or their boardgame plastic
>>
>>52212284
Good luck with full metal giant wyrmriders.
>>
>>52198622
iirc, they said they weren't sure what scale they wanted to go with, so they did multiple versions to see how good they looked.
>>
>>52212167
Metal is the superior material, tho.
>>
So what's the /awg/ opinion on GKR? Looking for fun mech games with good models. it has great models but seems more board gamey then war gamey if you guys catch my drift.

Anyone know of any mech games with a good size community and has good models??
>>
>>52213189
But anon, why do you say such bullshit on the internet?
>>
>>52213359
Because I'm not a limp-wristed faggot that doesn't know how to work with metal miniatures.
We built dragons, giants and warmachines in metal for years and it was fine. Now that we have plastics that hold good detail, that stuff should be in plastic. But it's still better than resin and those bullshit novelty materials by a long shot. It holds detail better, is way more durable and unless you have parkinsons and drop your shit on a regular basis while also being too retarded to use sealant, chipping isn't an issue.
>>
>>52213434
>way more durable
>fails 5 cm, sword bent beyond repair, paintjob chipped
>lightly touch another metal mini, paint chipped
>little to no convertability
>no spears or pikes sold with minis, buy them for yourself
>if they supply them, they look utter shit
>fucking expensive
>pain to assemble
>painting them? sure, easily remove paint if you touch a certain area too much

Well yeah, have fun with metal anon, it's literally the shittiest material from the triad of plastic-resin-metal.
>>
>>52213224
>but seems more board gamey then war gamey

That would be because it is a board game, anon.
>>
>>52213434
>it holds detail better than resin
If plastic & resin are good enough for scale modellers, they're definitely good enough for wargamers.
>>
>>52213526
>Little to no convertability
I call bullshit, you just need to gitgud
>>
>>52213526
>lightly touch another metal mini, paint chipped

Do you not know how to seal your minis?
>>
File: 1489617989616.jpg (284KB, 1000x554px) Image search: [Google]
1489617989616.jpg
284KB, 1000x554px
Anyone have any opinions on the Halo tabletop games - Fleet Battles and Ground Command? Halo Wars 2 has me on a Halo bender and I want to know whether either of them are simple enough I could inflict them on an unsuspecting brother/mate for casual play. I tried in the /vg/ general but no one seemed to be interested.
>>
>>52216293

I've played some fleet battles - it's pretty good. It's basically a much simplified version of firestorm armada that doesn't suck like firestorm taskforce does. Both of the starter boxes are decent deals, though the smaller one does disadvantage the covenant player a little.

Downsides are that spartan games has a terrible track record in maintaining support for it's games, and list building can be a little complex - but that can be mitigated by just prebuilding the lists if you're inflicting it on someone else.
>>
>>52216470
Thanks, my local store has the fall of reach box in stock so I was eyeing that.

Part of me just wants to field a scorpion and nuke dirty covies but that in itself is a big time and cash investment that I'll never finish painting and will likely never realise anyway.
>>
>>52217220

If I recall correctly Fall of Reach has enough stuff in it to do a 1000 point fleet for both sides - the ensign edition can only do 500 - 600.

Spartan seems to have more in the pipeline for GC than HFB right now, I can't remember if they've even announced any 2017 releases for HFB yet.

Also you can paint UNSC ships really easily, just spray them with a grey you like and do detailing with a panel/paint marker like what is used for model kits.
>>
File: IMG_3128.jpg (173KB, 600x504px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3128.jpg
173KB, 600x504px
How's wrath of kings doin currently? I was looking into to it and I think the art and houses look Fairly interesting.
>>
>>52218118
They released a second book a few months back and are currently putting out the minis for it.
>>
>Own almost entire line of Starship Troopers miniatures by Mongoose
>The game died well before I could find people locally to play or get into it

One day they'll get pushed around a table. Till then they're shelf candy.
>>
>>52219282
You could always use them for another game.
Five Parsecs, count as IG in 40k or Rogue Stars for example.
>>
>>52219282
Would you like to share some pictures? I always thought that game looked very cool.
>>
>>52214905
Because you keep them sealed when you're painting them, right?
>>
>>52220891
You're chipping them while you're painting them? Life must be hard for you if you're that much of a clutz.
>>
>>52220997
Whatever faggot, have fun with your inferior material that was only used because it was the cheapest at times but they can't accept that its time is over.
>>
>>52214232
>what are brass etchings
They literally have to add the details to get satisfactory results from plastic.
>>
>>52221045
Apparently you have no fucking idea about modeling and why etched brass is used.
>>
>>52221020
Whatever frendo, have fun with your inferior material that is only used because it is the cheapest for manufacturers but you can't accept that it's still inferior in terms of detail, durability and weight.
>>
I just came in here looking for cool wargames. All I found is spergs with autism. GG.
>>
>>52221108
Kek, all the bobbleheaded hamfisted miniatures.

Also, "inferior in weight" - have fun being a bodybuilder to be able to transport your army to your apartment.
>>
>>52221144
What can I say. Men prefer metal. If you want your toys made from plastic, I'm not going to judge you too harshly, boyo.
>>
>>52221181
Going back to classic ad hominem because you ran out of actual arguments, eh? Nice.
>>
>>52221128
This needs to become banner.
>>
>>52221191
If your argument is "I'm too weak to lift miniatures made from metal", what kind of answer do you expect?
>>
File: IMAG0996.jpg (490KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0996.jpg
490KB, 1344x760px
Why doesn't Dystopian Wars seem to see any actual discussion on tactics and the like? Not just here- even places with regular DW discussion don't seem to discuss the actual game all that much.
>>
>>52198565
Not gonna lie, the designs are awful.
>>
>>52199317
Me on the other hand, I tried to love Infinity but
>the models are fiddly as fuck to put together, more so than Malifaux plastics
>the prices, they keep a-rising
>3rd edition suffers from rule bloat that makes 40k seem like it suffers from anorexia
>critical hit and special ammo make armor a dump stat, so hope you didn't like those cool mechs, they're awful in game
>ITS makes spammy horde lists one viable way of playing, and everyone fucking plays ITS rules, even if they never will go to tournament.
>>
>>52221758
I keep saying tournament mentality ruins games, but I always get laughed at even tho evidence is clear.
>>
>>52221858
People like to win. Game designers often like to pretend that isn't the case, because building your system to stand up to that is hard, but not doing it leads to, well, ITS spam lists for example.
>>
>>52182008
very bad models
>>
>>52221858
You get laughed at because an active tournament scene is great for communities. There's plenty of non-waac tournaments in general and non-waac ITS tournaments in particular. Tournaments allow people to encounter players from a much wider area, get to play with a bunch of people they'd never play against otherwise and run into metas they'd never play against otherwise.
Tournaments are fun.
>>
>>52221909
>Game designers often like to pretend that isn't the case, because building your system to stand up to that is hard, but not doing it leads to, well, ITS spam lists for example.
That's not right.
A Game Designer's job is not to create a perfectly symmetrically balanced game everytime he writes something. That makes sense, if you want the players to develop the skill to play, which in turn makes sense if your game is aimed at competitive play.
That is not the case for a lot of games though.

If your mission statement is something different, like say telling a story, the focus of the design is somewhere else. A lot of skirmish games soften the border between a wargame and an rpg for example.
A customized unitmeans ownership for the player and investment in the game/his army in turn, it's by default close to impossible to balance well though.

And even a simple dice roll can serve a different purpose than resolving a numbers game of probabilities.
For example, in most GW games letting the defending player roll armor saves after his model has been wounded creates agency and suspense, even if it happens in his opponents turn. It's not just a simulations representation of the success a certain action might have.
Games are not a mathematical system, they are supposed to deliver a certain experience. The players play the game, but the designer has to play the players, if you will.

I agree that even a game with a narrative focus should stand up to a semi-competitive environments, because even in a role playing game people tend to min-max, that is the nature of the thing.
To say that it is the most important quality to judge a game on is not true however.
>>
File: 14897574254301641165576.jpg (5MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
14897574254301641165576.jpg
5MB, 4608x2592px
My order from Ground Zero Games came through! Pan-African Union Infantry with some Colonial Defence Force mortars.
These guys are pretty cool, hopefully having my first game of Gruntz next week. Plus I've got some Heavy support from Critical Mass Games coming in the form of a mech and some power armour infantry.
>>
>>52222048
>If your mission statement is something different

then people won't give a fuck about it, because they want to win.

>The players play the game, but the designer has to play the players, if you will.

And if they don't balance well enough, they'll fail that step.

>To say that it is the most important quality to judge a game on

You're reading rather much into my post.
>>
>>52176282
Use the model, but use a profile that is normal for that type of ship. I have a feeling (from Firestorm Armada) that regardless of your models you are using, as long as their profiles are from the ones in the fleet lists and it is easily identifiable from other ships then it is fine. If there is one Battleship profile and you are using some other model for this specific battleship and tell your opponent that it is that specific battleship from the list. No problem there.

Or did you mean "design your own ship" as not being a model but instead being a new profile? If it was profile you are talking about. No. It is not nice to use it unless your opponent agrees. If it was model you built it counts as a conversion in my books and is just fine.
>>
>>52223007
Yeah I went on a bit of a rant.

Just meant to say once a game is written, how it is played is out of the designers hands.
So blaming all the problems a game has on the designer is something that 'grinds my gears'.
>>
>>52207711
Last Saga will finally release comercially next month, it seems like more sci-fi infinity without some of the more...polarizing design decisions.
>>
>>52208925

Not quite. That one is a Catapault, you're thinking of the Mad-Cat - very similar design, but with added arms
>>
>>52221955
Except they also ensure one dominant meta, and heaven forbid if you want to deviate. Especially in Infinity, where having a shit ton of specialist to capture objectives is the ONLY way to win. It's always better to have two shitty engineers to one super-soldier.
>>
>>52209302

I HIGHLY recommend FiveCore 3rd Edition from Nordic Weasel Games (cheap on the usual online shop)

Add the Sci-Fi expansion "Five Parsecs From Home" and you have my favourite skirmish game. Just need to beef up the campaign rules to make them more Necromunda-y
>>
I'm amazed people defend metal miniatures. Literally the only reason metal was ever used is because plastic casting was expensive back in the day (and still is). If there's any retard out there that thinks metal is better, they clearly never saw a scale model kit in their entire life.
>>
>>52223734
Dats why you change scenarios, bucko. Even is some ITS scenarios having lots of cheap specialists can be disadvantage.
>>
>>52223734
The ITS tournaments I've played in have had a variety of different list types.
And you know why? Because people don't just go to tournaments to win. They go for the social reasons I've already outlined.
The type of list building you describe from what I've seen isn't really that much of an issue. And if you forced a false dichotomy on me for any game, of either an active, mixing community of players regionally and nationally, or a game with no tournament scene and a larger array of viable lists, I would pick the former in an instant.
Tournaments are great for the social aspect of wargaming, which is really what wargaming is all about.
>>
>>52224238
You go for gaming days to "social reasons", you go to tournaments to win games. If you go to a tourney and expect "fair and fun" games, you'll be sorely disappointed.
>>
>>52224284
Except I fucking won't be disappointed because I've been to plenty of ITS and Firestorm Armada tournaments and had fun at all of them.
Either you've had shitty experiences with tournaments or have never been to one, but what you describe is absolutely not the case with all tournaments. Yes you get waac scrubs but you get plenty of other types of players.
>>
>>52224376
>Except I fucking won't be disappointed because I've been to plenty of ITS and Firestorm Armada tournaments

You lost all credibility when you said "Firestorm tournaments". Gathering three other guys who still play that dead thing isn't a tournament, it's a wake.
>>
>>52226643
Reading Warfare 2016 had 20 players, and was so successful that it got expanded to 30 slots for 2017. It has already filled 16 of those.
>>
>>52223778
>Implying
Still waiting to see plastics that can capture as much detail as Infinity figures. Resin is acceptable I suppose. Plastic has its limits, especially with detail bleeding.
>>
File: youareright.gif (699KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
youareright.gif
699KB, 320x240px
>>52224284
Yep. Tournaments are where the worst of the worst go to compare micro-penises.

If you want to enjoy wargaming, do it with friends or a local club. The tournament scene is full of the absolute worst of humanity.
>>
>>52227782
And how many tournaments have you been to which have demonstrated this to you? I enjoy gaming with friends, at clubs and at FLGS. Yet I also enjoy tournaments, where I've not really had many bad experiences and come across plenty of friendly players.
How do you feel about club tournaments too?
>>
>>52213526
>fails 5 cm, sword bent beyond repair, paintjob chipped
Stop chewing on your miniatures like a retard and seal them. You should be sealing all of your miniatures to make the paintjob more durable anyway.

>little to no convertability
Little kids were converting metal LotR miniatures years ago. Are you telling me you can't saw and pin a piece of pewter? You own a saw right? Or are you one of those faggots that slaps plastics together, drowns it in plastic cement and call is "converting"?

>no spears or pikes sold with minis, buy them for yourself
>if they supply them, they look utter shit
Are you clinically retarded or something? There are so many lines of metal pole weapon infantry, you could literally take France with them.

>fucking expensive
So you are one of those idiots that buy into the "But metal is expensive!" horseshit from GeeDubs. Metal was and has always been one of the cheapest options to produce, unless you are big enough to take advantage of the economy of scale. Shit like Infinity isn't expensive because of the material, it's because they need to jew people extra hard to stay a float, since they it's a skirmish game.
Last thread a guy posted a link to a shop that supplied fifty metal dwarves at less than 20c a fucking pop.

>>52214232
Proper plastics are a great material, especially if you don't mind the extra work to get undercuts. Resin is still dogshit, even in scale modelling, and scale modelling rarely ever worries about organics.
>>
>>52228017
>So you are one of those idiots that buy into the "But metal is expensive!" horseshit from GeeDubs. Metal was and has always been one of the cheapest options to produce, unless you are big enough to take advantage of the economy of scale.
Box of 40 Perry plastics: 22GBP
Blister of 6 Perry metals: 7.50GBP
>>
File: lolcats-finish-him.jpg (24KB, 440x319px) Image search: [Google]
lolcats-finish-him.jpg
24KB, 440x319px
>>52227899
>I enjoy gaming with friends, at clubs and at FLGS
>Yet I also enjoy tournaments

Bad news, none of your friends or club members like gaming with you.
>>
>>52226775
So the country where the game originated from managed to collect whole 20 people total for a tournament? Wow, that's kind of sad.
>>52228192
Plastic has a very high upfront cost to set it up. Metal moulds are 500$ a pop, making them very easy to start production. Metal as material is more expensive than plastic, but it makes zero sense to produce plastics for something that will never sell en masse, like most historical ranges.
>>
>>52228281
So let me get this straight:
Metal minis are not more expensive because GW said so but they are more expensive because moulds are cheaper but material itself is more expensive.

Fucking Christ man, at least a bit of consistency would be nice. Same goes for the FSA thing.
>>
>>52228229
So you don't have an argument?
>>
>>52228229
Answer my two questions.
What tournaments have you been to which you are basing your opinions on tournament players on?
Where do club tournaments fall in your "Clubs are good, tournaments are bad" spectrum? I will not accept the answer that they are a relegation ground for waac scrubs. This is because at the club I played at the longest, Frostgrave, Infinity, Bolt Action, Malifaux and Bushido club tournaments were all participated in by the majority of players of those games, and the overlap between those games was significant but not the majority.

>>52228281
Nonetheless, is 20 people not more than a wake? For demonstrating my point regarding having been to Firestorm Armada tournaments which were enjoyable and not filled with a waac attitude, is it of sufficient in size?
>>
>>52228579
>club tournaments
That's an entire different fucking kind of animal.
>>
>>52228617
Why?
>>
>>52228617
>>52228637
Also, directly answer the fucking questions.
>>
>>52228654
You do know you're responding to more than one person, you dumb fucking britbong? Also no, 20 people is still a joke, my FLGS has more people playing infinity on any given weekend than that. The game's dead, and Neil's pathetic mewling it's not won't change the fact he killed that thing stone dead with his retarded Halo franchise thing.
>>
>>52228637
Because you play in your club. Last year I went to three tourneys, two of them were fucking shit because minmaxing WAAC faggots (couple of us went from our club and I went because they asked me to to have enough players to compete). Those two were a KoW tourney and a 9th Age team tourney. Played a dorf army in both that was actually dorf unlike most of the KoW dorf tournament lists with as much elementals as your FOC allows it, but actual dorfs, axe, shield, armor and beard, you know the kind. Brought mostly the same army for the 9th Age tourney where I was needed as the third team member.

The KoW tourney was won by an elven player with a flying circus army, second was an undead army with lots of vampires (one on a dragon), can't remember the rest, but I was especially fond of the ogre army with the +12" range artifuckt on the horde of ogre shooters. The 9th Age...the guy who took half an hour to pick his fucking spells, then took another half an hour to decide what to cast in the first turn not to cast anything in the end...then corner charging, all the tourney bullshit that made me to put my dorfs in their box for months and then trade them away for Warzone.

The third tourney of Minigeddon was nice. Played my first game the day before, got 6th place from 12 witn 2:1 w:l, the local Epic community is surprisingly without waac cunts. That was a nice tourney but haven't play Epic since.
>>
Anyone interested in a review of All Quiet on the Martian Front? Got a demo game coming up next month.

Game looks super interesting though.
>>
>>52221567
Well, apart from the fact that Spartan doesn't seem to understand how to properly support games (which drives away existing players), I think part of it is that DW has that steampunk aesthetic, and that doesn't sit well with a lot of people. It's weird and wonderful, and I love it, but just about all of my friends look at it and say "Meh."

Also, Spartan is god awful at advertising their products, or at least they used to be - Halo Fleet Battles had posters out the ass, but I don't think I've ever seen a single bit of advertisement for DW or FSA. And when people don't know about your game, they can't play it or discuss it.

Which really is too bad, it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>52228716
I was talking about the types of players who attend tournaments,to get a feel for whether a tournament is waac or not. I was not talking about the death of Firestorm Armada (although pointing out the growth of the tournament was to that end I will admit). 20 players is a respectably sized cross section of players.
Also, relative scale may come into this- my main club was a large and healthy club in a large town (c.100,000 people) and had about 20 players a week on average. At university the wargaming society was also reasonably sized and healthy and again had about 20 players a session. To have a LGS with that a 20-player player base for one game blows my mind. Most of the LGS I've been to on their wargaming nights have half that amount of players.

>>52228775
So with the first two tournaments, would you describe yourself (presumably not) or the other players from your club as waac players? And the last Epic tournament was free from waac players?
That's the point I was trying to make- yes you get waac players at tournaments. But waac palyers are not the only type of people who go to, or enjoy, tournaments. In my experience most people who go to tourneys go as you went, with some other club mates. And I doubt most peoples experience in clubs with their clubmates is as waac players surely?
>>
File: robbie preggo cancer.jpg (78KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
robbie preggo cancer.jpg
78KB, 720x960px
Waac players are the cancer that kill wargaming and gaming clubs, especially when they have that attitude "well you've got to win then what's the point playing."

Yes the game has a win condition that both players are competing for but you are in a social setting and there is a certain Etiquette at the gaming table.
to a degree a waac player is a social retard that can't play to the sprit of the game.
>>
I dunno what the fuck these things are but they're coming to GoA apparently.
>>
>>52232534
I belive "ugly" is what they're called.
>>
>>52232534
Oh God, the flying vagina monsters. Freud warned us!
>>
>>52232534
So this is why GoA is not popular. Mantic's stuff is legitimately less terrible, and cheaper to boot.
>>
>>52232534
>>52233872
>>52235944
>>52236650
It's kind of the point. To have the bizarre looking fuckers in there.
It's more original than most other aliens in any case.

And the human models are better than the mantic stuff imo. They're truescale and not heroics.

As for what the things actually are:
The Freeborn army lists in the BRB and the Xilos book are based on House Onasi (or whatever the name was. The baby blue official scheme are their colors).
The Freeborn are a faction of traders and intermediaries between the other factions. Kind of like Rogue Traders in 40k, except they don't operate on the fringes of the galaxy. They are essential for any kind of trade (cause most other societies are basically computer controlled drones that cannot into social interactions anymore) between factions.

Anyway one of the goods they offer in trade are mercenaries.
The House in the BRB in particular recruits from a desert world called Mhagris. And these things are beast from that world. And the riders are the feral warriors that are easily replaced.

So, if you like the idea of barbarians with plasmarifles, but not the Mhagris Ferals and Skark Rider models in particular, you could just use different models, arm them appropriately and say they are recruited from a different world.

Would make perfect sense if you don't paint your army in the baby blue colors anyway. You can get the weapon sprues separately and they are more than enough historical plastic kits to make cheap feral warriors from if you are inclined.

Warlord still hasn't covered all entries in the army lists with models yet, so it will be a while before the range is complete and the metals replaced with plastic kits.
Outside of the /tg/ echo chamber it seems to be alive and kicking. Not as popular as other games though.
>>
>>52223778
(you)

>>52227899
Exactly. Tournaments are great to mix things up or even get several games under your belt in orderly and timely fashion. Even if some games were bad, the net experience has always been positive.
t. not-WAAC player
>>
>>52236804
>And the human models are better than the mantic stuff imo. They're truescale and not heroics.
>implying Mantic's are
>>
>>52236832
Not implying stuff.
The Mantic models, in particular the Corporation stuff, is huge. Because in the fluff they are supposed to be huge.
And the models have the weird bowlegged thing going on that I don't really like.

The Antares stuff has shitty paintjobs to showcase the models and shitty pictures in the store, granted, but the metal models I've had in my hand are pretty nice.
The proportions are basically like their Bolt Action metals if that means anything to you.

Kind of somewhere in the middle between Infinity and 40k.

I thought they looked pretty nice is all I'm saying.
>>
>>52236869
Have you seen their newer stuff? The Enforcers are bigger, but the actual corporation figures are fine. I don't have any assembled, but if you want, I can put one together of both the old restic ones and the new hard plastics and make some comparison pics.
>>
>>52236883
>Have you seen their newer stuff?
No I haven't.
>and make some comparison pics.
That'd be great, a good size comparison is always useful.

One thing I like about Mantic is the amount of aliens they put out. Heard mixed things about some of the models, cause they are in restic though.
Personally I never worked with the material, so I'm not sure what to make of that.
What do you think about restic? A reason to stay away from the models or just a bit more cleanup during assembly?

My FLG has some Deadzone and Dreadball stuff on sale, I was thinking about picking some of that up as conversion fodder.
>>
>>52236937
I thought restic is an umbrella term for wide range of materials.
>>
>>52236937
Mantic stopped doing restic and have already replaced the bulk of their existing restic figures with hard plastics.

I would say that the material sucks. It captures detail horribly, and the material is no fun to work with because of how hard it is to cut and file. For chunky things it can be OK, but otherwise it is subpar.
>>
>>52176591
You could easily do that with Kings of War
>>
File: 026 - Copy.jpg (254KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
026 - Copy.jpg
254KB, 1600x1200px
>>52232534

Other than a few of the Ghar units, all of the Antares stuff looks like it was sculpted using techniques from 15 years ago and left in a cupboard. The rules aren't the sharpest either unfortunately. Shame really.
>>
>>52237726
They could have pumped that money into something else. Like...Pike and Shotte.
>>
>>52228229
>Bad news, none of your friends or club members like gaming with you.

I dunno - I used to play at a FLGS in a city with a couple of big clubs. The clubs were really very tournament focused, but we'd have people from the clubs come down to the FLGS for games every week or so, to generally chill and throw dice and have some fun.

There were some WAAC tourney dicks who couldn't switch out from that mentality, and they tended not to play that often at the Fun Lovin' Gamer Shack.
>>
File: Johnsons89-Concord.jpg (58KB, 600x229px) Image search: [Google]
Johnsons89-Concord.jpg
58KB, 600x229px
>>52237726
>dat picture
Cherrypicking can go either way. With a nice paintjob the models look pretty decent.

If anything it's the designs, not the sculpting you could call old school or outdated depending on your pov.

The Boromites were digitally sculpted and 3d printed, while the Skark Riders and the Freeborn Mercenary Captain were sculpted 1:1 by hand.
>>
>>52237792
>With a nice paintjob the models look pretty decent.

Doesn't this apply to almost anything though? It's like when you say a vidya is 'fun if you play with friends'.
>>
File: IMG_20170318_170723631 - Copy.jpg (731KB, 1632x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170318_170723631 - Copy.jpg
731KB, 1632x918px
Speaking of Kings of War, I went to a tourney today with 2000 points of Ogres, using the Clash of Kings rules.
>1st game vs. Dwarfs: control
Wrecked the guy at first but he pulled it back on the 5th turn. The army had almost no shooting and lots of def 6. Minor win.

>2nd game vs. Rhordia: Push
The guy had a gorgeous army, I'll post a few pics later. I out-deployed him even though he had scrying gem. I nearly lost my flank thanks to careless hero placement giving his flying heroes a target followed by a position behind me. Luckily he got some double-1s on the nerve rolls for that flank. I demolished him, but if not for those lucky rolls it would have been much closer. Major win.

>3rd game vs. Dwarfs with Elohi allies: Invade
This chap's gruelling dwarf gunline is renowned among the locals. Herneas and rangers, 36" range rifleman horde, 3 organ guns, 2 spellcasters with the new Bloodboil spell that lets you roll a dice for every damage already on the unit at piercing 1, which is really nasty in a shooting list. Thankfully it was invade and he only had some brock riders and elohi for mobility. He made some major errors by putting important units within my charge arcs that he thought were safe. In the end I had almost nothing left but it had all gotten to his side of the board, while he had only one unit across. Pyrrhic Victory.

>4th game vs. Undead with Goblin Allies: Bounty
After 3 wins I found myself across the table from possibly the best player in Australia. Pic related was the deployment. My good use of blast wagons guided his werewolves straight forwards so that their mobility was negated and I won the centre. Careless placement of a standard bearer on my right allowed him to get his Revenant King facing the rear of my siege breakers, which ultimately proved my undoing. Extremely close game, even a minor change in the dice could have altered the result. As it was, I lost 7-4.

Pic is deployment of game 4.
>>
>>52237814
>pic

It was bounty scenario (or something like that), one of the new ones.

An objective is placed in the middle. The most expensive 3 units in each army get a token.

Each token unit of yours still alive = 1 point
Central objective = 2 points
Each enemy token unit destroyed = 2 points

The token units are highlighted in Red.

Here was my list, it seemed to be quite effective against all comers:

-3 Warrior Regiments (2 with 2-handed weapons)
-2 Siege Breaker Hordes (1 had healing brew, the other Dwarven Ale)
-Boomer Horde (Elite item)
-Shooter Horde
-2 Red Goblin Blasters
-2 Mounted Goblin Biggits
-Army Standard
-Grokagamok
>>
>>52194916

What's this?
>>
>>52237811
>Doesn't this apply to almost anything though? It's like when you say a vidya is 'fun if you play with friends'.
As I said that goes in both directions.

If you post a shitty paintjob and say the rules are not the best, that is the same just with a negative spin.

What are the best rules anyway? Is it not enough that the rules work? I mean some people might like the minis..

Do you get what I mean?
Just seems like a shitty thing to do to dismiss it offhand like that.

If you think about all wargames are only really good if you play them with your friends anyway.
>>
File: IMG_6068.jpg (180KB, 1600x920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6068.jpg
180KB, 1600x920px
>>52237792

>With a nice paintjob the models look pretty decent.

You could say that about anything though, that's down to the painter not the sculptor.
>>
>>52237879
I said that because the guy picked an example with a shitty paintjob like it was any indication for the overall quality.
I just pointed out that it seems unfair.

I don't have a dog in this fight, people are free to dislike GoA all they want, it just rubbed me the wrong way so I pointed it out.

That's all.
Seriously, the thread is just slow, I'm fucking bored.
>>
File: WHISPER.jpg (56KB, 694x857px) Image search: [Google]
WHISPER.jpg
56KB, 694x857px
What are some good resources for figuring out squad tactics fluff?
In Gruntz My Guys are light jungle scout platoons with a Junior Officer, Senior NCO and 4 sections, each of 6 men. Every section has a SAW, 2 sections have DMRs and 2 sections have missile launchers, and I wanna know if that seems a reasonable arrangement. Should I go ask /k/?

>>52237847
Some 15mm project called WHISPER. There's a page for it on Facebook though where the guys putting up some of the sculpts and concept art, looks pretty cool.
Definitely seems to be on the Gundam end of the mech(a) spectrum (with VOTOMs being at the other end) but not so big by suspension of disbelief goes crazy.
>>
>>52237920
>Should I go ask /k/?
Unless you want to fuck those guns, no.

6-men sections seem a bit excessive. Usually it's 4-5, in the modern US army it's 2 4-men fireteam and a squad leader, each fireteam has a fireteam leader with a standard weapon, a grenadier with an underbarrel attachment, a SAW and a rifleman with a standard weapon.
>>
>>52237943
Well the idea is that the section would be halfway between a present day section and a fireteam. It'd be split down into 3 pairs: a maneuver pair, a fire pair of the saw+1 and a command and support pair of the section leadr+missile launcher/dmr.
>>
File: Europa.jpg (106KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Europa.jpg
106KB, 1200x900px
Well I guess the war is expanding. Here's hoping for some imperial german walkers and massive french land ships to go toe to toe with the martians.
>>
>>52239261
This sounds like it's broken down to even smaller elements than a fireteam. Not sure if it'd work with such small elements. Generally the fireteam is the smallest element in a modern army, and I wouldn't go below that. Elements like those you described needs to be a bit bigger to be effective - I'd recommend taking a look at the various organization charts in Force on Force books (over at /hwg/) and watching the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15gihWu1SM
>>
which is your favorite Skirmish game? i'm looking for a system that have a big replay value, don't take its aesthetics into consideration.
>>
>>52243541

Infinity and this is not a test. Really good rulesets ran by good guys.

Frostgrave I hear is good too.
>>
>>52243695
Well, the good part about infinity is that the rules can be consulted though the internet free. is it possible to play it without buying army expansions an still have options in group creation or the boxes come with just the necessary troops to play?

which are the mechanics of Frostgrave?
>>
>>52242489
I'll have a look at them, cheers!

>>52243786
Infinity & Urban War are my two skirmish games and I love them both.
The faction starters for both contain enough models to play a game sure (about 150 points in the case of both strangely), but I wouldn't want to play many games with just those models.
>>
>>52243858

Where the fuck have these Urban War models been all my life?
>>
>>52243541

Warzone Resurrection, Eden, and MERCS (Even if the devs don't pay it enough attention).

Urban war is awesome, sad it doesn't get new releases though.
>>
File: sexy space legionaries.jpg (69KB, 1115x508px) Image search: [Google]
sexy space legionaries.jpg
69KB, 1115x508px
>>52244043
In gaming limbo for the longest fucking time unfortunately. Ask people at your club or FLGS and I bet at least one person is like "Oh yeah, I still have some Urban War stuff".
The models are great, and the 2nd ed rules are great too (never played the 1st ed rules).

>>52244077
The re-releases of formerly OOP stuff fir Urban Wae is nice at least.
>>
>>52244156
I miss the 80's/90's nonsensical rule of cool sci-fi stuff.
>>
File: 11109_marine_scout.jpg (20KB, 235x226px) Image search: [Google]
11109_marine_scout.jpg
20KB, 235x226px
>>52244308
To an extent. A lot of the old Void 1.1 stuff makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Junkers exoskeletons, Viridian Saurian riders, I'm looking at you (though I really wish I wasnt)
>>
>>52243541
I fucking love Five Men in Normandy, but it's more /hwg/ than /awg/. Song of Blades and Heroes and it's expansions are damn nice as well.
>>
>>52199317
>>Growing scenes EVERYWHERE
HA! Yeah, uh, no. Forever continues to be the game of choice for that elitist knob type whose all on about 'muh real-sim', and 'muh rules complexity makes it moar tacticool'.

I've encountered a few who claim to have collections and even few still who've claimed to play it but I ain't never seen it played or even a game event advertised around here.
>>
>>52245178

>elitist knob type

Did an infinity player shit in your cheerios to make you so pissy?
>>
>>52245241
US folks are now awake, don't pay attention to them till they go back to sleep.
>>
>>52245271
>US folks are now awake, don't pay attention to them till they go back to sleep.

Ha, yolks on you, I ain't a yank.
>>52245241
Not just infinity players, but most asshats who go out of their way to promote some obscure game for terrible reasons when they could be playing something both well designed and not artificially opaque. Essentially they're Hipsters and who here doesn't hate on hipsters?
>>
>>52245355

So what you're saying is you're fed up? Anon I get that but I only recommend infinity because personally I like it as a skirmish game that's all.

No reason to be upset.
>>
>>52244519
Meant more the cocept than the actual models. A lot of the older stuff is terribly sculpted, but the design idea has character.
>>
>>52232534
>>52237726
This irks me. Some of the GoA miniatures are really good and they were getting better and better releases. Now they decide to release these ugly mutants and aliens models.
Everything up to and including the new Isorians, giant boromite critter and outcast stuff looked cool.
>>
>>52245355
>anyone that plays anything other than gw is wrong
Found the eternal fanboi.
>>
>>52247690
I said 'well designed'. How on earth could you get GW from that?
>>
>>52247672
The mutants aren't bad.
>>
Anyone know where I can find some Uncharted Seas minis? Really wanna pick up a few of the box sets for a heavily sea based dnd game
>>
Does anyone have a full PDF of the latest rules and army lists for Warpath yet?
>>
>>52237879
Nice space marines there.
>>
>>52247769
He's a projecting little toady is how.
>>
>>52248496

Only place you can get it now is eBay, as Spartan stopped making it last year.
>>
Don't know if anyone is interested, but I posted in the last thread (or the one before?) a resolution mechanic for a WIP game, the "popping" dice pool.

I took some of the advice given and reworked it. Anyone lurking that would mind listening and comment on the new system?
>>
>>52250449

Shoot anon. Never looked at it last thread but I'm willing to look now.
>>
AQMF anon here.

So with the new expansion Germans are definitely being worked on. Good to see this game with some legs behind it still. Hell even the Overseer walker is done.

Starter set is 60 bucks lads.
>>
>>52250504
I just want to know why all the tanks have worse elevation than Russian IRL tanks when their enemy is three stories off the ground.
>>
>>52250482
The old system was pointed out to be a bit convoluted, so the weirder stuff was dropped.

The current one is when you make an attack:
>The model chooses a weapon it is carrying and rolls a D12 for each point of power it has
>Each die that rolls equal or over the model's Attack Skill is a success
>The defending model has an Armor value, and rolls a D12 for each point of Resilience it has
>Each die that rolls equal or over to the Defense Skill of the defending model adds 1 to the Armor
>Each point of Armor negates a success on the attack roll
>Any leftover successes become damage

The number range I'm looking at for dice rolls is about 3-4 on the attack and 2 on the defense with 1-2 armor average. There's a few other bits to iron out, like using exploding dice, and if modifiers should go on rolls or the number of dice: e.i. if a model gets cover, should the bonus go on each roll or should it be an extra die rolled.

Melee also has that instead defending, you can choose a weapon and counter attack. The benefit is there is a chance to hurt your opponent if you roll more successes than them that bypass Armor, but it also means you don't get armor eithet.
>>
>>52250504
>Starter set is 60 bucks lads.
Where?
>>
>>52250713

http://quietmartianfront.com/product/all-quiet-on-the-martian-front-starter-game/

>>52250645

Aim for the ankles?
>>
File: Australia_location_map_recolored.png (133KB, 2190x1577px) Image search: [Google]
Australia_location_map_recolored.png
133KB, 2190x1577px
>>52237814
>After 3 wins I found myself across the table from possibly the best player in Australia.

Did he file his models with a living crocodile?
>>
File: prevpic87.jpg (165KB, 780x365px) Image search: [Google]
prevpic87.jpg
165KB, 780x365px
>>52244519
The walkers were awful, but the small dinos and early Koralon were pretty neat.

Plus, most of the infantry was good.
>>
>>52207088
Is that an Antares mini?
>>
>>52237726
Everything looks bad if it was painted in a terrible way.

I'm not saying the Antares minis are 10/10 but they are certainly not as bad as you make it sound.

Whats worse than their sculpting (speaking about technical aspects here) is their design. Thats the real downside for me. Just generic dudes in power armor for the most part.
>>
>>52253527
It is. Looks like a metal Algoryn.
>>
File: metal_algore.jpg (40KB, 295x267px) Image search: [Google]
metal_algore.jpg
40KB, 295x267px
>>52253582
>>
I wonder: Why aren't there a lot more games around that go for that early 40k/WHFB editions numbers in miniatures count? Considering 28mm is the scale many people prefer and at those numbers you can still actually play at 28mm.
>>
>>52255407
It's a (((bad business))) decision
>>
>>52255407
Wouldn't that be an appeal to the Oldhammer crowd, who are perfectly happy just playing older editions of 40k/WHFB and don't really need new games?
>>
>>52255407
You got all the Warlord Games games afaik.
>>
>>52255465
I think a game where you field several small squads and one or two centerpiece models would appeal to a lot of people. Way back when, a lot of people also got into Warmachine because it was precisely that. How times have changed.
>>
>>52256026
Isn't AoS just that?
>>
>>52256092
No points in that so you field whatever the fuck you want, and then pray for those 4+ rolls.
>>
>>52256471
It has a point system after they released a new version or something.
>>
>>52256496
But even then it's "field a shitton of stuff and somehow everything still acts on its own" and not "here's a bunch of squads and one or two things"
>>
>>52255457
Why would it be? Or am I being memed here?
>>
>>52257868
A bit of both, I'm mostly memeing about GW prices.
>>
File: Xeme6EX.jpg (100KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Xeme6EX.jpg
100KB, 960x720px
Some news on the halo front but each faction (UNSC Army and the Covenant) are each getting 2 fliers and vehicles, they are just waiting for approval from 343.

also they are waiting for approval for two more factions, the Banished and the UNSC Marines

source:

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/20721-what-should-be-the-next-army-released-and-why/&do=findComment&comment=349246
>>
>>52258315

>That feeling when a man criticized Spartan Games on how they're taking advantage of their player base in regards to Firestorm gets banned for rightfully criticizing the company

Spartan Games is truly the shittiest company.
>>
>>52258315
The reason I play 15mm games is so I *don't* have to buy oversized vehicle models.
>>
File: DWKB50-2.jpg (425KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
DWKB50-2.jpg
425KB, 900x600px
>>52259063
but anon, oversized vehicle models are all spartan does
>>
>>52259063
Shush, anon. I want a my dropships.
>>
>>52259063
but you don't have to buy it the starter box set comes with proxies and rules for it, and if you want to have the most iconic air vehicle in Halo to scale, you can.
>>
Anyone got a list of good fleet action games? Things like say Firestorm or Armada? Really want a good spaceship battle game or hell even an ocean born battle game.
>>
>>52260501
Full Thrust is a pretty venerable game of that sort. Rules are free on Ground Zero Games' site.
>>
File: Ile Defence Force Patrol 02.jpg (228KB, 1000x550px) Image search: [Google]
Ile Defence Force Patrol 02.jpg
228KB, 1000x550px
Painting 15mm infantry is fun. What do people think?
>>
>>52176544
It's fun. And the french ships pictured in OP are pretty nice, especially when there's lots of islands.
>>
>>52260596

Those aren't french they're mercs.
>>
>>52260580
Stargrunt? I got some 20mm stuff (one model from a bunch of factions to see what they were like) and I thought they were pretty cool.

Holy shit do GZG need to get more photos on their store though.
>>
File: armee-RoF.jpg (1MB, 1600x761px) Image search: [Google]
armee-RoF.jpg
1MB, 1600x761px
>>52260596
Uh, those are Black Wolf ships in OP anon...
But you're right, DW is fun, although I prefer Firestorm Armada though as that's a much more streamlined system.
>>
File: DWRF511.jpg (314KB, 581x387px) Image search: [Google]
DWRF511.jpg
314KB, 581x387px
>>52260596
>>52260618
Yeah, those are Black Wolf mercs. Pic related is france.

>>52260501
DW is a laugh.
>>
>>52260653
Yeah, Pan-African Union stuff to play Gruntz with. They're nice.

The 15mm section has plenty of photos, but I just looked through the 25mm section and bloody hell you're right. I feel like there's really no excuse to not have photos of all of your products on your webstore in this day and age.
>>
>>52260760
Even then I think the 15mm photos could be better. They're pretty tiny and of unpainted models so all you can really tell is that they're vaguely human-shaped.
>>
>>52260796
Looks like it depends on the range. The PAU & CDF photos are fine, but I see what you mean about some of the older ranges.
>>
Scenarios for the latest Dystopian Wars 2 player box are up.

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/corsican-incident-scenarios
>>
>>52259198
Christ that thing looks idiotic.

DW has just gone steadilly down hill for the last 5 years. Which is to be expected from Spartan, a company that got lucky with no sense of game design, some decent initial models for the time--- and now a history of ADHD and missing the point.
>>
>>52263931
Neil is the problem, not Spartan.
Firestorm Armada 2.0 is a splendid set of rules. Dystopian Wars rulebooks are a mess layout wise but have always been decent underneath. Planetfall's a solid game, and I've heard nothing bad regarding the Halo games systems (indeed, people say Fleet Battles is better than Firestorm Armada). Taskforce is dumb and stupid and 1.0 Legions wasn't great, although it had some good stuff going for it.
The massive robots were a mis-step design wise, but Spartan have always made great resin models. Even Planetfall stuff looks great (baring massive 6-legged dinosaur palanquin) and that's definitely not normally what Spartan does. Legions wasn't great because the infantry is all metal and Spartan's always sucked at metal and should stick with resin. I guess tastes on the actual designs is going to boil down to aesthetic opinions at the end of the day but almost all of their actual designs look good, which is impressive considering how many model ranges they have.

Neil's fucking ADHD is ridiculous. But their game designers and model designers do a fine job. Get rid of Neil, leave Spartan to focus on like 2 or 3 games of their choosing and Spartan would be magnificent. Of course Spartan is Neil's pet games company so that's not going to happen and that makes me mad as hell, but don't criticise the things which are actually good about Spartan.
>>
>>52264295
>Hating on massive 6-legged dinosaur palanquins
>>
Getting bored of warmahordes. gonna try and get people to play a new game here. Which is better, Kings of War or Wrath of Kings?
>>
>>52264433

Apples to oranges. What game system type do you want?
>>
>>52264295

Spartan makes game I'd like to play but will never touch due to them languishing without support.

>>52260564

Thanks for that anon it looks interesting to say the least.

>>52260660

Case in point above. I'm sorry but do to personal opinion on the company I'll never buy a spartan games product.

Also anyone know if there's a battlestar galactica tabletop game? I feel like that needs to be made if not...
>>
>>52264526
i'm going to read the rulebooks for each but do you know enough about them to be able to give a basic quick overview of the main difference between the two?
>>
>>52264559
Spartan's rulebooks are free on their website and there's probably a significant amount of 2nd hand models on the market for DW & FA, so you could play without having to pay Spartan.
>>
>>52264672

Rank and file fantasy vs. something say... AoS like? Wrath of kings is not rank and file but is made to be scaleable from skirmish to mass battle.
>>
>>52264672
So Kings of War is a mass battle system. Each unit is a whole and has a combined statline. Taking wounds adds to your morale instead, so the idea is you break, instead of die. It uses IGOUGO, and is very simple to resolve. Your units have a To Hit score of a simple X+ to roll for each attack on a D6, and a X+ for what is needed to wound. Its a much faster version of WHFB with the benefit of very clear universal special rules and a company policy of using whatever miniatures you want.

Wrath of Kings is a skirmish game with alternating actiations. You can group activate but still each model does their own thing. Combat is each attack uses a small number of D10's and you roll on a chart on the enemy's card to determine if you hit and damage. On a basic level,its a "roll X+ to damage" but there's a lot of ways to modify the chart, such as an attack changing an armor to a hit, etc. It uses a lot of symbols and model specific rules, but everything is a clear on the card, so you don't have to consult the rulebook for it.
>>
>>52258315
>Want to field a mass Wasp vs. Banshee firefight
>Only good contribution 343 has added to the series
>Spartan will get bored well before getting to Halo 5 vehicles
Fug
>>
WHY THE FUCK DO MANTIC KEEP REMOVING THEIR RANGES, FUCKING MAKE THE BUILD TO ORDER OR SOMETHING DONT REMOVE ENTIRE RANGES EVERY YEAR. I just wanted some corporate soldiers
>>
>>52268461
They'll release new plastics soon, tho it'd be nice if the restics were still available. I have their old army box and 10 extra rangers, but I'm thinking of expanding on them a bit in the future.
>>
Does anyone play Wild West Exodus here? Is it as much a game of rocket tag as it seems?

I saw a game of it played where one side had a small squad of Injuns, a hero of some stripe and a werewolf. The other had a bunch of Confederate troops, a sniper, two heroes and a massive mecha snake.

The injuns tabled the Rebs and it felt like there was no reasonable way it could have been prevented because they had some kind of stealth and the werewolf was moving about 18" a turn deleting whole squads.
>>
>>52259198
>>52263931

>pic related
pffffffft
>>
File: ebay_troopers.jpg (325KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ebay_troopers.jpg
325KB, 1600x1200px
Got the Halo Heroclix minis today, and as it was said, they are a tad too big.

If anyone has a burning need to get some of them, just tell me, I'm willing to sell or trade them...
>>
11 posts till bumplimit, lads!
>>
File: DEEPWARSMINIS.jpg (293KB, 825x372px) Image search: [Google]
DEEPWARSMINIS.jpg
293KB, 825x372px
Who /DeepWars/ here?
>>
>>52271259
Love the models, but don't know anybody who plays.
Though I thought about buying some for Rogue Stars.
>>
>>52271302
I feel that. Love the sculpts, but Eric needs to focus on building a player base rather than pumping out more kickstarters.
>>
File: 2017-03-20 15.00.23.png (465KB, 538x643px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-20 15.00.23.png
465KB, 538x643px
The /yourdudes/ thread seems down so here's a question about army fluff I'm working on.

Is this too Mary Sue a character for a custom hero for my Heavy Gear army?

>skilled pilot who has one hell of a problem with authority
>is smart enough never to break any serious rules but accumulates so many minor black marks for black marketeering/bar fights/uniform infractions HQ feels she is dragging down the regiment's reputation
>fucks up badly while drunk, injures a fellow pilot in a stupid duel over something trivial
>can't talk her way out of it, transfer to MILICIA (shithole lower than dirt grunt army) imminent
>her base is attacked and the enemy offer to settle it with single combat, which is a lore thing
>as technically still regimental duellist they send her out hoping she'll lose and that will be the end of it
>she wins, the nearby town is saved, the crowd go wild
>her sentence is grudgingly downgraded to the next one down, a fine so large she will basically never pay it off

I was sort of inspired by stuff like Schaeffer's Last Chancers, Area 88 and so on, because reading the Southern fluff they're a pretty hardline MUH HONOUR AND DISCIPLINE faction and so there would need to be some significant pressure for a roughneck type to not just be packed off to Mad Max hell regiment...

Pic is the model I'm using, I tried a tutorial for 30k Thousand Sons to get a Sinanju/Sazabi theme.
>>
Goddamn, I love Hasslefree.
>>
I've got a ton of mantic zombies and a bunch of infinity minis, what's the best ruleset to introduce some beginners into tabletop/skirmish games? Zombies can be controlled by player or simple ai rules,
Would the new walking dead game rules do decent for this?
>>
>>52273246
>Would the new walking dead game rules do decent for this?

Not a bad idea at all, but afaik the game lives from the series/comic books and is scenario/story-heavy,
So if your "newbie"-friends can't relate to walking dead or maybe even hate it, a more generic game might better.
>>
>>52273295
I meant more of using the rules with slight changes, and using a generic zombie setting instead of the walking dead one.

Any ideas of a better system?
>>
>>52272803
They do like sculpting dicks, don't they?
>>
God fucking damnit my lore autism once again bites me in the ass.

>Buy some sweet minis for my Heavy Gear forces
>Have written some outline lore for how the army is a largely disreputable regiment in bumfuck nowhere that nevertheless gets results, proper 08th MS Team/SV Unit 2 style
>come into possession of almost every background book
>discover one of the models I bought is, in the lore, a limited-production mech that is reserved for the government's elite guard and it is considered treason to attempt to reproduce its technology

FUCK
>>
>>52276156
>They
He. It's all Kev's work.
>>
>>52204975
>Infinity isn't a complex game it's a mile wide inch deep rules set
>most common action you'll be taking in that game is hugging each peice of terrian while getting killed by luck AROs

This post seems to closely summarise what I know of Infinity from watching a bunch of online and FLGS games of it.

It seems like a good half of the interesting stuff is impractical due to how prevalent and deadly overwatch fire is, so you get realistically boring to watch stand-off firefights and the prime/only game story.

Anyone care to change my view?
>>
>>52276223
>>discover one of the models I bought is, in the lore, a limited-production mech that is reserved for the government's elite guard and it is considered treason to attempt to reproduce its technology

That's why your "disreputable" bumfuck nowhere regiment has it, then.

>Someone stole one
>"Shit, we can't unload this anywhere!"
>Redneck Commander: "Actually I've got a pretty nice shack out in the middle of fucking nowhere. I'll take it off you for 1/4 price. Or I'll report you. Your choice m8. PS. If you report me my guys will kill you."
>"O-okay"

And then the backwoods guys ended up with top tier 10/10 stolen government tech
>>
>>52276845
...that's a surprisingly logical idea.

I went with the alternative redneck approach - they're actually perfectly ordinary mechs with some extra armour panels welded on so they look like the elite guard's signature unit from a distance/at night/if you're drunk.

Technically not illegal, and it only works once, but on the other hand when it does work wasteland raiders will fucking run a mile when they think they see the most decorated unit in the whole army coming for them personally.
>>
>>52276454
you should post this in the infinity general and see how long they call you glam or slav poster
>>
Has anybody bought any of the Ion Age stuff?
Their vehicles look really neat.
>>
>>52278281
I bought their Tavshaar mech

Fuck that model

Fuck lining the arms up

Fuck its lack of good contact points

But it is pretty.

Also, >>52277491 here reporting in, I made some tweaks to my original ideas and have almost 2500 words of My Dudes fluff for a bunch of robot jocks in the desert whose commanders hate them.

https://ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2017/03/20/heavy-gear-army-background-marigold-army-25th-regiment-3rd-compagnie-1st-gear-section-the-three-ones-southern-forces-319tv/

I fucking love writing My Dudes fluff.
>>
>>52278281
Only ever gotten infantry but I like what I've gotten so far.
>>
>>52276245
no they have sculpts by many other artists, but the dog and most minis are by the man himself.
>>
>>52278395
>I bought their Tavshaar mech

That's 15mm.co.uk (or I guess Alternative Armies now), not Ion Age just to be fair.

Although the two sites are owned by the same guys.
>>
File: HFSF129Chipstercomposite.145339.jpg (109KB, 820x769px) Image search: [Google]
HFSF129Chipstercomposite.145339.jpg
109KB, 820x769px
>>52272803

Been waiting for this guy to come out in metal, well the version in power armour.

I'm going to be playing an uplifted dog in an rpg and the mini is almost perfect, I'll probabley swap his gun.
>>
>>52278835
The pose makes that swap easy. Be sure to post pics.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.