[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 37

File: 1446395433799.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446395433799.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
TO THE ABYSS WITH THEE edition

Previous thread: >>52252619

>Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A

>News
http://theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/whats-the-deal-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question:
What's the most useful Discipline and what's the most useless one?
>>
>>52276466

>TFW you play an NWO researcher who attempts to scientifically quantify the phenomena the Traditions wield so as to safely understand and harness them.

>They throw lightning at you when the last thing you would ever do is kill, mindwipe or convert them, but if you make contact, you're a traitor.

>Your chosen field has already made you a disgrace to the convention - only connections you've managed to make with a Japanese group with similar interests and a lot of weight to throw around have kept you from getting cancelled.

Also first for Mage Supremacy.
>>
>>52276399
>The Scelesti are the masters of their own damnation, the Nephendi bow to otherworldly horrors.
And the Scelesti bow to Abyssal Entities, the Nephandi just use the power from beings closest to Oblivion (it's actually written that the oldest don't think much about the worship, it's just a way to bring Oblivion faster).
There's a lot of overlap between the two of them, which is probably a bit bad, but it seems well enough that we can find differences in them if needed.
>>
>>52276453

Most useless is probably Dementation. Most useful is Thaumaturgy.
>>
>>52276312
See, the thing is, the fluff still supports that. It's just that mages use the same term to refer to *both* mages who take a legitimate anti-magical philosophy for whatever reason and to those who experience Awakenings gone wrong.

And for a pretty obvious reason: to an outsider, they would look so similar that any differences come down to pure semantics.

Remember: magic is generally seen as being a wonderful thing. And it's hard to disagree with the prospect of being able to shape reality with your mind. To the typical Awakened, be they Pentacle or Seer, somebody looking at magic and thinking "that's evil!" is clearly screwed up in the head and it's probably easier and *safer* to put them down like a rabid dog.
>>
>>52276453

Is that vampire with a gun supposed to be threatening?

>Obrimos LOL
>>
>>52277081

I'm genuinely curious, anon: are you on the autism spectrum?
>>
>>52276453
No opinion on disciplines but you made me want to play Redemption a bit
>>
>>52276453
>Most useful
I would say Vicissitude. I mean, when is turning your self into a dragon not helpful?
>Most useless
Thanatosis. It's Vicissitude but worst.
>>
>>52276453
Auspex is the only one that will particularly fuck you if nobody has enough of that specific one.
>>
>>52276453
COFD
>Most useful
Auspex
>Useless
Blut Alchemie imho. It's great that you can shit gold after a lengthy process when most vampires can just walk up to a guy and tell him to hand over the wallet
>>
>>52277490
Can't you make napalm or cyanide gas?
>>
What would be an example of an Arcana 10 spell?
>>
Hunter chronicle. Part of a compact of a famous cult buster (AU Ted "Black Lightning" Patrick) who founded AU Cult Awareness Network. Retire because old, feeling you are leaving world in capable hands. A major money cult buys AU!CAN, subverting it to funnel people towards their programs. AU!Ted comes out of retirement to bust some more cults and finds himself in conflict with his creation.

What is the otherworldly evil at the core of Alternate universe Church of Scientology?
>>
>>52277707
That's the practice of Assumption.
Lasting control over every aspect of everything under the Arcanum's purview.
>>
>>52277616
The problem is that while you can make useful stuff with it the whole process of deducing and making things with blood can be better replicated with blood sorcery.
Temporal increase to blood potency has very narrow uses and can be double edged sword.

The thing is this was made for 1ed so it's obviously underpowered in 2ed but I do have a bit of a problem coming up with idea how to update it to make it distinct from stuff Ordo Dracul or Theban/Cruac can do already
>>
>>52276453
>Most useful
Auspex, Obfuscate and Fortitude are very useful, Thaumaturgy and Necromancy great toolboxes.
>Most useless
I'm having a hard time thinking of one that doesn't have any use, probably the Daughter's one if it still requires more practicants to be effective, unless I remember it badly.
>>
>>52276453
>What's the most useful Discipline and what's the most useless one?
Celerity and Dominate. The bad ones tend to be those of very niche bloodlines, both in nWoD and oWoD.
>>
I need to listen to an actual play podcast of werewolf the apocalypse

anybody got any links?
>hard mode
that start at the first session
>bring em' on
that doesn't feature the ST's mage wifu/s as unkillable NPC's a-la a Bethesda game
>>
In Awakening 2e, what Arcana are needed to fix a human who's been claimed by a spirit?

Is Spirit alone sufficient, and if so, at what level?
>>
File: Magefairytales.png (318KB, 522x643px) Image search: [Google]
Magefairytales.png
318KB, 522x643px
>>
>>52276705
Isn't the literal antichrist supposed to be a Nephandi in WoD?
>>
>>52276705

Some Scelesti choose to bow, it's not a prerequisite. Also, no Widderslainte. If Dave or anyone else tries to make reincarnation canon I will shit a million bricks. That and Avatars were the things I didn't like in Ascension.
>>
>>52278046
Spirit 4 for the equivalent of the exorcism spell under death
The problem is they will probably just reclaim the person or someone similar at the next available opportunity.
>>
>>52277811
Thaumataulagy is actually pretty cool. Dementation is fun, if only from NPC reaction, but not as useful as Dominate.
>>
>>52261993

"Have you ever fucked a man who can fly?"

I think Hunter wants to have a word with you, Dave.
>>
>>52278343

Huh?
>>
Reposted from the other thread, since I posted it right before that thread died and this one came to be.

Serious question tg.

How do I play vampire the masquerade (or any of the other vamp books) without inevitably always ending up so pissed off and distrustful that almost every character I make ends up dead by the end of the first storyline?

Is VtM just that kind of game? Am I missing the point somehow? Is it natural for vamps to become uncontrollably paranoid and hostile to basically everyone? Am I just "that guy"? Is the game just not right for me period?

Almost every time I end up in a situation in which I can't tell who is friend and who is foe and I end up just saying fuck it and trying to slay everyone.

Its one thing if this is simply the nature of the game, its another if I'm actually doing it wrong.

Please help.
>>
File: crawlingChaosFugaz.png (3MB, 1280x1858px) Image search: [Google]
crawlingChaosFugaz.png
3MB, 1280x1858px
>>52278441
Murder your ST. It's the only way
>>
>>52278498
Prefer to avoid that option for the moment.

Trying to figure out if its something to do with the game / the game's lore, or if its just me being not right for the game because to distrustful already as it is.
>>
>>52278420

Ashwood Abbey quote
>>
>>52278441
can't your dumb ass just take more / better social powers? or are you running a nosferatu over and over and fucking up your social rolls constantly?
>>
>>52278626
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfT5uoNuNMc
DOIT

Nothing can help you now. You must commit to action
>>
>>52278709
No, I've just experienced 'frenzy of backstabbing' endings so many times now that it seems like its 100% inevitable that everyone betrays everyone and the fail condition is the only possible end.

Maybe I'm just playing with the wrong people, but I'm also not sure of that because I'm naturally very distrustful.
>>
>>52278046
Spirit 4, the Banishment spell.
Use the Reach option, and then enhance the duration and it can't Claim again for the duration.
>>
>>52278771
I found your problem
you aren't role playing, you're making characters, but you're just putting yourself beat for beat in their shoes

I suggest you role play someone who HAS to rely on someone else next time you play or else has to go out of their way to mentor others even if they don't want it
>>
Which arcana will let me recreate third impact?
>>
>>52278988
Not sure I understand your answer. I thought role playing was a kind of method acting in which the whole point of the thing is to BE the character you have chosen.
>>
>>52279057
>whole point of the thing is to BE the character you have chosen.

yes, and what I was getting at was that instead of you becoming your character, your character becomes you. they lose whatever made them not you and instead gain more and more of your own personality supplanting their own
>>
>>52276453
>Most useful
Thaumaturgy. There are Paths and/or rituals for everything. Even if there isn´t you can make one. All you need is time.
Necromancy could be as OP as Thaumaturgy, if the writers got more creative and went beyond the summon-ghost/command-ghost/animate-dead-bodies routine.

Of the non magical Disciplines, I would probably go with Dominate, it´s fucking brutal.

>Most useless
Thanatosis. Like >>52277367
said, it´s just a shittier Vicissitude (or, for the 3rd level, Protean).
>>
>>52279153
I can see that.

But looking back over it I've also been intentionally fucked over (in game) by some other people in the group a few times, and it's made it VERY hard to trust them, even if its a long time later and we're all using new, different characters.

I mean some amount of fuck-overishness seems inherent to the game, and the least connected and least important people seem to always be the ones who end up getting buttfucked six ways to Saturday night.

But I've also dealt with authority figures (in game) who don't care if I live or die and don't care if I know they don't care, have sent me on certain-death missions they must have known I had no chance of succeeding at, and finally hierarchy members who nonsensically detest their own minions, and that makes no logical sense to me.

I think what I need to do is either start fresh with new people in a new group, or just lay down the dice and go back to the various other P&P systems that I play regularly.
>>
>>52276453

>most useful

Domination: it's useful for feeding, for cover-ups, for getting past security guards, all kinds of stuff

>most useless

Nightmare: it's just a masquerade breech waiting to happen.
>>
>>52278992
That sounds more like an Imperium Rite than a spell.
Because really, that shatters the Pax in such a horrific way that you'd fuckin' better find solstace in the Supernal, because everyone and their daimon is going to be after your ass.
>>
>>52278441
Yeah, that's pretty much equilibrium for a society of junkie cannibals with murder blackouts who get enslaved if they go for the wrong junk.
>>
>>52278441

Do q Belial's Brood Chronicle.
>>
>>52279323
This is actually a goal for my mastigos. If I make it to archmastery Instrumentality will be my Noumenon
>>
>>52276453
I'm a big fan of the building block disciplines. Celerity, fortitude, protean- these are what makes a vampire terrifying. Vicissitude is also terrifying.

Most useless would be Animalism, the first dot is the only multiuser one.
>>
>>52279261
You need to learn to seperate OOC and IC. If you treat other characters with distrust because of their player's previous characters, then you are metagaming and the problem is you. Learn to seperate distrust for a character from distrust of their player.

tldr trust no one and no one will trust you
>>
Anyone got any Shadow Name suggestions for a Reality Stalkers Mastigos?
My character's current Shadow Name isn't quite going to cut the Shadow Name Merit he's going for.

His name will focus around a lack of presence, invisibility, physical avoidance, and mental manipulation of others.

I'm thinking "Absent", or "The Absentee".
>>
>>52280571
ghost, specter, shadow, the forgotten, blur, predator, mist-foot, cock goblin, flutter, shade, the masked, the observer...
>>
>>52280571

Bruce, or maybe Stanley or Harold.
>>
Do you tend to use Tremere Liches more as isolated predators or as a sort of antagonist group akin to the Seers?
>>
In the Awakening setting, is it true that the Silver Ladder worked with the Nazis? I seem to recall a discussion about it, but I don't remember what supplement this might be in.
>>
>>52281560
Some might have, but the Order as a whole didn't support the Third Reich like certain other groups, like the Daksha did.
>>
>>52281560
Some of them, yes.
>>
>>52281583
The only Order to flat-out reject the Axis powers and not get split by World War 2 was the Free Council, who had shit of their own to deal with.
>>
>>52281597
>>52281611
Dave, what Arcana would you need to let a vampire walk in sunlight without? Need to know for my character's wedding. I'm thinking I only need Forces 3 and maybe some Prime.
>>
>>52280571
"He Who Must Not be Named"
>>
>>52281597

Which supplement discusses the Silver Ladder-Nazi relationship? I don't recall reading it in the SL sourcebook.

Also, what shit did the Free Council deal with that's as bad as Nazis?
>>
>>52281749

It's Mage Noir and IIRC the Free Council helped "ex" seers escape the Nazis.
>>
>>52281803

Forgot about Mage Noir. I'll have to give it a read.

What do you mean by "ex" Seers?
>>
>>52276453
>Top Tier
Auspice
Dominate
Thaumaturgy
Obfuscate

>Useful Tier
Presence
Necromancy
Dementation
Fortitude (it's bad, but the only way to soak aggravated damage)

>Useless Tier
Serpentis
Most Bloodlines Disciplines
Animalism
Vicissitude
Obtenebration
Chimerstry

>I wanted to play D&D tier
Celerity
Potence
Quietus
Protean
>>
>What's the most useful Discipline and what's the most useless one?

Most useful: Dominate, Obfuscate, Fortitude

Least useful: Necromancy, Serpentis
>>
>>52281868
>obtenebration
>Useless

Confirmed for never playing VtM
>>
>>52275488

>I'd like it if both sides started suffering a degree of disillusionment in regards to the war canonically.

Except mages are supposed to be fanatics towards whatever belief system they support. Their willpower and conviction is what allows them to operate on a different rule set and awaken to begin with.
>>
>>52281953
I dont play sabbat games, but how is it useful?
>>
>>52282028
Shroud literally disable enemies in mass.
Tentacles make them a one man army.

Then there's Abyss Mysticism.
>>
So I have to wonder - If all the splats have different "power levels," does that really prohibit crossover? Exalted manages to pull it off.
>>
File: Smug Wizard.jpg (329KB, 1693x569px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Wizard.jpg
329KB, 1693x569px
>>52282144
That depends entirely on how happy you are, and how happy other people are, for one person to be substantially less capable in many areas than others are.

It's the classic D&D Fighter/Wizard dynamic, except the game doesn't pretend that you're supposed to be equivalent in power.
>>
File: 56745645717.jpg (60KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
56745645717.jpg
60KB, 500x495px
>>52282144
>Exalted manages to pull it off
Yeah. Well. Who the hell even cares about Exalted anyway?

Boom. I fucking said it.
>>
Monday Meeting Notes

Dark Eras Companion is going out to backers this week.

>Historical Supremacy!
>>
>>52282055
This won't come up, but that's all usable from Psychic Projection, too.
>>
>>52281945
>Least useful: Necromancy, Serpentis
Don´t you mean Thanatosis?
>>
>>52282343
I thought we were only talking mainline clan disciplines. I ignored Bloodline disciplines since they are all pretty much useless with the exception of maybe Temporis.
>>
>>52282254

Holy cats, that took forever but I'm glad!
>>
>>52282254
>>52282441

Does anyone have the list of the historical periods and associated splats for the Dark Eras Companion?
>>
File: 1487975131303.jpg (197KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487975131303.jpg
197KB, 1280x720px
>>52276453
Mmm disciplines are for buttboys.

Worst arcanum: Death

Most useful: Life
>>
>>52282486
>Most useful: Life

Psshaw, not until Life starts controlling gravity or fate.
>>
>>52276453
(VtM)
>most useless
Dementation. If you wanted to shape a political sphere over time it'd be good I guess, but it's almost never of immediate use. It's an explanation for things that happened in the world, for NPCs and character background. A waste of time in a game where things happen.

>most useful
Obtenebration. It is offensive and utility magic together as one discipline, radically overpowered as the former and utterly without replacement as the latter. If Thaumaturgy covered its concepts instead, it would have been put into like 3 different narrow paths.
>>
>>52282431
I actually like Necromancy. Sure, it´s heavily ST-dependant and I think it needs some more creative powers, but I still like it.
>>
Did I read Monday Notes right, and V20 Lore of the Bloodlines PDF got sent out? Anyone able and willing to share?
>>
>>52283201
Have fun:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pm8am9
>>
Kind of a weird question but I'm trying to figure out a way to use spirit magic to keep myself dry while carrying a plot mcguffin through a rainstorm.

Any ideas?

I'm Gnosis 4 Spirit 4 btw.
>>
>>52283856
Make a rain spirit your bitch.
>>
How would I create a Brujah Nobleman for VDA20?

What's the minimum background dots I need?
>>
>>52283881
Wouldn't a rain spirt want me to get soaked by the rain? Making it act as an umbrella would probably be hubris.
>>
>>52281868
Serpentis lets you dish out agg damage, fight in complete darkness (atleast as od Dark Ages V20) stop people in their tracks by looking at them (while you can heal and they have to just sit there) and soak non-bane agg damage with your stamina.
>>
>>52283856
>I'm trying to figure out a way to use spirit magic to keep myself dry while carrying a plot mcguffin through a rainstorm.
>I'm Gnosis 4 Spirit 4 btw.

Why don't you just travel in Twilight?
>>
>>52283923
>hubris
And this is a problem why?
>>
> EX3 is at the top of the list for serious changes to how we’ve been doing things up until now

Someone is getting fired.
>>
>>52283856
Step 1. Take any given Spirit
Step 2. Turn it into a Spirit of Rain
Step 3. Order it to shape the rain around you.
>>
Now that the dust has settled about WE EAT BUTT, I feel like WW should just give it up and make oWoD an "open-source" IP and just let the fans write this shit, it couldn't possibly be any worse.
>>
>>52283856
>figure out a way to use spirit magic to keep myself dry while carrying a plot mcguffin through a rainstorm

Why do mages always complicate things or use magic to solve the most simple and mundane problems.

Put the object in a plastic bag and get an damn umbrella.
>>
>>52284102

BJ Zanzibar's World of Darkness suggests otherwise, my friend.
>>
>>52283929
It does have the worst of the sort of boss fight transformation powers for cornered antagonists, but grappleless biting doesn't suck.
>>
>>52284171
I dunno man, there was a lot of dumb shit on there true but there were also a few genuinely great ideas sprinkled in. I actually really kinda miss the enthusiasm that fans brought to the table. In any case, We Eat Blood might as well be a module on BJZ 17 years out of time.
>>
File: my body isn't ready.jpg (85KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
my body isn't ready.jpg
85KB, 360x500px
>What's the most useful Discipline

DOM supremacy
>>
File: nothanks.jpg (61KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
nothanks.jpg
61KB, 380x380px
>>52283929
>dish out agg damage
...with their tongues

>fight in complete darkness (atleast as od Dark Ages V20)
>atleast as od Dark Ages V20

>stop people in their tracks by looking at them
Only mortals, all sups it's Willpower roll diff 9

>soak non-bane agg damage with your stamina
...as a completely immobile mummy
>>
My group wants to play a roving group of Sabbat Inquisitors/Templars putting people straight who are breaching or getting close to breaching the Masquerade likely with liberal applications of violence. Problem is I don't really know how to make this interesting for the players other than "Yeah there's a pack and they're being a bunch of dicks, sort em out."

I'm tempted to set it in DC just after the fall of the city and have the players trying to consolidate power in the city so that staking out and burning an entire pack is too wasteful, but otherwise I'm not coming up with much.

Anyone run a similar game to this or have any thoughts?
>>
In Apocalypse, which tribe has the most black people? Serious question; all the tribes tied to a region of origin are outside subsaharan Africa. Is it just going to be Furies, Gnawers, and Children, and Walkers?
>>
>>52284924
Get of Fenris
>>
>>52284945
>condescendingfrog.jpeg
>>
File: NWA straight outta servitude.jpg (52KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
NWA straight outta servitude.jpg
52KB, 360x500px
>what's the most useless discipline

THN inferiority
>>
>>52284924
>In Apocalypse, which tribe has the most black people?

Either Silent Striders or Bone Gnawers would be my guess.
>>
>>52284836
Templars are the servants and guardians of powerful Sabbat individuals- they've nothing to do with the inquisition.

Inquisitors are almost universally powerful and old Ventrue antitribu, and their primary purpose is to hunt down any hint of Infernalism, not protect what passes for a masquerade among the Sabbat- that duty usually falls to a Bishop charged with that duty by his Archbishop or Council.

Finally, while the Sabbat don't go out of their way to break the masquerade and do protect their version of it, they do so mostly by avoiding displaying outwardly supernatural powers in their own cities and killing any mortals that might have seen anything. Due to their relative lack of influence over government and media organizations, the Sabbat can't afford to, nor desires being anywhere as subtle as the Cammies.

Now they could be the pack members of a Bishop charged with the masquerade protection, or Templars serving an Inquisitor hunting down Infernalists (the latter especially would be fun).

Also remember the Sabbat has no issues with gratuitous violence as long as it doesn't threaten the Sabbat or all mortal observers die- common Funtime Sabbat activities include Innercity Demolition Racing (everyone has a vehicle- last to leave theirs wins), and Cops and Robbers (two packs duke it out in an abandoned area, any weapon is allowed, no deaths, last pack incapacitated win)- these are Rita's called Games of Instinct designed to allow packs to burn off energy and prove their worth.
>>
>>52284924
Silent Striders most likely.
>inb4 kangs
>>
>>52284924
Black people are all werelions and werepanthers and cool natgeo animals like that, werewolves is white people shit
>>
>>52284836
Also remember that barring treason to the Sabbat, it is NOT ALLOWED to kill other members- Infernalism is treason, but breaching the masquerade isn't unless done maliciously or in a way that truly threatens the Sabbat. Without such proof (though infernalism charges always find proof- even if there is none- the Inquisitors are fanatics) , the only way to kill a fellow Sabbat is to challenge them to Monomacy- and that requires a high ranking sect leader to OK it- and that's not guaranteed. If they kill another Sabbat with neither proof or in Monomacy, then THEY are traitors and the city's packs will hunt them down like dogs.

So they e got to be careful, or st least engage in non-lethal gratuitous violence.
>>
>>52284979
>>52284991
Yeah that makes sense, I wasn't thinking about them because there are so few of them everywhere but I guess geographically they have the best chance of producing black werewolves.

The Shadow Lords would probably have a few as well, they originated in Eastern Europe but iirc they don't really care about heritage, just talent.
>>
>>52284132
Because if I wanted to be a little whiny bitch about having awesome superpowers I'd be playing Vampire instead.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (24KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
24KB, 540x720px
>>52281720
Samuel J. Haight
>>
>>52285012
>werewolves is white people shit

then explain wendigo and the other woo-woo chug tribe plox
>>
>>52285210
>woo-woo chug tribe
We prefer Skinwalkers of Color thnx
>>
>>52284830
>with their tongues
Who cares?

>Willpower dif 9
Fair call

>as a completely immoble mummy
What are you on about? Skin of the Adder makes you more mobile and flexible not less.
>>
>>52282486
This isn't how you spell out Time, anon.
>>
>>52285061
Yeah, and exactly that set of thinking always lead Mage into trouble.
>>
Ok so I'm planning to introduce psychic vampires from Hurt Locker(Dresden files white court style) in my VtR campaign.
How do I make them appear bigger threat then they really are?
>>
>>52285907
Give them the ability to "smell" people they've fed on before, and track them by that smell.
What's more a Vampire in the throes of feeding has crazy high emotions, and they've learned what that smells like.
They're addicted, they don't see anything wrong with feeding on weak Vampires.

It's not THAT horrendous, but they're so bloody overt they're risking the Masquerade in how they come running when they "smell" a Vampire feed.
>>
>>52285907
>>52285978

Psychic vampires? What do they feed on? Emotions?
>>
>>52285978
>Stop interupting me when I eat creepy guy. Seriously wtf?!
>>
>>52285985
They are described in Hurt Locker. They drain life force and will out of their victims
>>
>>52286034

So masturbation?
>>
File: qt thyrsus.png (329KB, 680x660px) Image search: [Google]
qt thyrsus.png
329KB, 680x660px
What are the attainments of the Uratha Brides Legacy?
>>
>>52286255
Withstand the Knot
>>
So what would be better a Rank 2 familiar that gives me flight/wind powers or an artifact(rainment) that does the same?
>>
>>52286322
The Familiar, by a significant margin.
They are quite simply one of the most overpowered options that any Mage has available.

Also it feels much more appropriate than just so happening to have a shard of the Supernal which you use for nothing other than flying around from time to time when you're away from prying eyes.
>>
Do familiars vary in size?
>>
>>52286322
How do you get Familiar? Do you have to bind or tame it somehow? Or does someone need to cast a permanent Familiar spell for you and spend a Willpower dot to make it stick?
>>
Who is Dark Archon and Why do I want to punch him?
>>
>>52286835
Why do you want to punch me?
>>
>>52286835
>Dark Archon
A guy who thinks that all fictional wizards should duel exactly the same way.

>>52286842
A lot of people would want to punch you.
>>
>>52286865
>A guy who thinks that all fictional wizards should duel exactly the same way.
Correction: I think they should duel, not instakill each other with unresistable save-or-die spells cast via sympathy.

>A lot of people would want to punch you.
Because they are stupid little bitches who can't handle the fact that not everyone think their game perfect and flawless?
>>
>>52286894
>I think they should duel, not instakill each other
They can still duel, it just depends entirely on predetermined circumstances. The fact that fights are so short and vicious, just reaffirms my love for the setting.

Weren't you ever annoyed by how unrealistic those Doctor Strange skirmishes were? So many plot holes due to magic being magic.
>>
>>52286648
You either get someone to cast the spell and spend the willpower dot, or buy the merit, which represents someone casting the spell and spending the willpower dot.

The spirit has to be willing though, and can end the arrangement if it wants.
So don't piss it off, or you might lose the merit.
That being said, don't get trigger happy GMs, a Familiar bond is a pretty sweet deal for most epehemerals, so there has to be a decent reason it wants to leave its sugar daddy.

Also sanctity of merits applies. But not to the spell.

Fun fact. You can also take it as your Fourth Attainment at Gnosis 6.
Which don't count against spell control. So you can bind as many Familiars as you want.
>>
>>52286894
>instakill each other with unresistable save-or-die spells cast via sympathy
The wilful blindness to the difficulty of such an act and the reasonably easy to establish defences warms my heart.

That requires at a bare minimum, Mastery.
Even some Hierarchs aren't Masters.
>>
>>52286865
Also

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/mage-the-awakening/1063365-time-magic-ultimate-mystery-solver?p=1063458#post1063458

>I am not interested in playing his little game.
Wants to solve a mystery, doesn't want to investigate.
KeK
>>
>>52286903
>Weren't you ever annoyed by how unrealistic those Doctor Strange skirmishes were?
No, I weren't. In fact, I liked them. And unrealism don't bother me a one bit. If I wanted realism, I'd stick up with GURPS.

>>52286911
>difficulty of such an act
Isn't difficult at all, even with an Adept. Not only Unmaking is save-or-die. Every spells which disables you is save-or-die in a fight, because enemies can and will finish you afterwards.

>reasonably easy to establish defences
If you don't have Arcana of spell which is casted against, you can do nothing. And chances are that you won't.
>>
>>52286941
If you read it further, it literally ends with him says "lol Iris, fuck your Postcognition", even though I said "no fucking Mysteries, just casual murder by magic".
>>
Ironically, Dark Archon is supporting the 'Mage Supremacy Movement' by showcasing just how bullshit the gameline is, regardless of how shamelessly wrong he is on certain subjects.

He has a minor few good points, but his opinions are utter shit.
>>
>>52286985
>regardless of how shamelessly wrong he is on certain subjects
Repeating it won't make it any more true. But persist in your butthurt, I find it amusing.
>>
>>52286970
>Every spells which disables you is save-or-die in a fight
Lovely. Now as you're assuming a lot about your Mages, I will assume a lot about mine as well.

They have Mage Sight up, because they know they're going to be attacked, because they're good friends with an Acanthus.
They have at least Prime 2, and willingness to spend Willpower on their spells.
They also like to stay around lots of Sleeper witnesses, because they know that you like to over-reach with your murder effects, and dice tricks are wonderful in their ability to slap horribly painful strong Paradox conditions on you.
Also the Beaten Down rule is in effect, so if you Scour your Pattern to get rid of one of the aformentioned conditions, you need to spend Willpower for every action from then-on.
They also have one of the various methods of early detection active, something that you too obviously have because you managed to actually find them.
They also don't get too attached to anyone they don't trust, such that they forsake all meaningless relationships, meaning that you have no chance to get even a Weak sympathetic connection.

Why do you do this to me? I hate theorycrafting.
Almost as much as I hate you and your shitty fucking opinions.
>>
>>52286982
Kek No. you got salty for being called out on your bullshit. When two other were ready to play it out, you got butthurt, cried, and took your ball home.

>>52287001
omg its the quantum mage. Powerless against magic but omnipotent against mIsterI
>>
>>52287027
Well Wisdom is broken as is. Seers shouldn't be allowed to have wisdom if their throwing their souls away to the Exarches
>Wisdom is not a morality stat. this isn't 1ed
>>
>>52287027
>because they know they're going to be attacked, because they're good friends with an Acanthus.
And enemy don't have Acanthus because ST is your little bitch.

>They have at least Prime 2
All of them, of course.

>They also like to stay around lots of Sleeper witnesses
This will hurt them as much as the enemy.

>They also have one of the various methods of early detection active
And enemy has not managed to trick it.

>They also don't get too attached to anyone they don't trust, such that they forsake all meaningless relationships
So classical murderhoboes with nothing to lose and fight for. I'll bet your ST loves your character.

>I hate theorycrafting.
You obviously hate thinking as well. Of course every fight is fucking easy if you have an advantage in information and firepower. It's also fucking boring, in any and all games.
>>
>>52287086
>I'll bet your ST loves your character.
Just about as much as your murderous cuntbag.
>>
>>52287111
not him, but "wanting to kill someone" is far less shitty as part of a character concept than "has no attachment to anyone".

Perfectly defended ultra-rational mage with no friends or acquaintances might be okay for whiteroom combats, but whiteroom combats are absolute garbage and anyone who builds characters for them is also absolute garbage.
>>
>>52287111
By not making every other mage braindead retard without Cabal and Order support? Yeah, I start to understand problem of magefags.
>>
>>52287133
Now now, let's not make this a splat wide thing- the fellow he's arguing with seems a decent magefag.

It's just him that's the bitch.
>>
You don't become a powerful mage by being an idiot.

Fuck you Dark Archon.
>>
>>52287161
Fuck you, idiot. I say again and over again what I am completely fine with Master fucking all other mages. I am not again with one shot=one kill magical fights of Adepts and Masters. But I guess words just can't penetrate to your dead brain.
>>
Has anyone here played Highlander: The Gathering? If so, is it any good and how easy is it to learn?

http://vampirerpg.free.fr/Rules/Highlander/

I ask because I'm a huge Highlander fan who wants to run a game with it, but I also have next to no experience with the WoD system.
>>
>>52287182
One rarely becomes a Disciple by being an idiot as well.

Fuck youuuuuuuuuuu.
>>
>>52287211
>>52287161
To be fair, there's a difference between being intelligent and not making mistakes or being caught up in your desires.
>>
>>52287218
>powerful but mentally incompetent mages

So the vast minority then.
>>
>52287182
Anon from before, I agree to a certain extent.
Protective Mage abilities are far outstripped by the sheer potency of their offensive abilities.

However I feel that can still be accepted in the system.
This isn't really a game about Harry Potter and Voldemort clashing with generic lightning beams.
You're rewriting the fundamental nature of reality with your powers.
The moment someone goes straight for your throat, all bets are off.
That's written in to the Magic system, plain and simple.

It's why the Consilium has such a hard job, and probably needs at least one Time 5 Mage on-hand (or at least eventually accessible) to solve the most heinous crimes by stopping them from ever having happened.
>>
Guys No bully. be easier on DA, He needs help solving basic mundane problems as a mage, anything more complex than an episodic crime drama confuses him
>>
>>52287235
So how does fight to the death of two equally powerful and intelligent mages go? I am interested.
>>
>>52287244
>Perfectly Spherical Mage
Stop rehashing your problems from OPP forums here
>>
>>52287239
>The moment someone goes straight for your throat, all bets are off.
Even more of this bullshit. There is no reason to assume that attacking with magic is easier than defending with magic. This is system problem, plain and square. You like it this way? That's fine. I don't and I am homeruling to fix that. You don't like that? That's fine.
>>
>>52287254
Cross between Corporate Espionage and action thriller. Kind of like a slow matrix that saves all the action for the last half hour or so
>>
>>52287235
So you consider anyone who doesn't always make the right decision an idiot

That is genuinely autistic. Where on the spectrum do you fall?
>>
>>52287279
Actual final fight, not all that leads to it.
>>
>>52287274
Shielding is a level 2 practice fraying(bashing) is a level 3. Defense is easier and more available than offense. It's in the system already
>>
>>52287274
>There is no reason to assume that attacking with magic is easier than defending with magic
Of course there is.
People have a thousand breaking points which can render them either harmless, or dead.

Which would you rather your odds at, choosing one of those and attempting to break someone, or predicting which path someone else will take, and protecting yourself accordingly?
>>
>>52287291
Not possible to explain without additional assumptions. Who is more clever and better prepared? but off the top of my head Prime wins out in mage v mage conflicts. counterspell like a boss.
>>
>>52287302
You can't assume to have all ten Arcana at level two and have all Shielding practices on at the start of conflict. Odds are that your aren't going to have Life Shielding when Life Adept paralyze your whole body.

>>52287328
One more idiot. You spend your instant action to Counterspell, so you can't cast in the same turn. Enemy is just have to keep pressure until you fail your counterspell. After that, you are dust.
>>
>>52287289
Your lack of reading comprehension is disturbing.
>>
>>52287311
>predicting which path someone else will take, and protecting yourself accordingly?
There is no reason why magic can't generally protect against harm, without specifying which harm it it. Mage can have innate magical resistance to attempts to change his Pattern, for example. That'll make saveordie spells much less powerful.
>>
>>52287369
>There is no reason why magic can't generally protect against harm, without specifying which harm it it.
Yes there is, you have to specify what Arcanum it functions under.
Even at its most loose, Prime can only increase your Withstand.
Not stop someone from inverting gravity so you rise a kilometer then fall to your death, or kills you by redirecting a block's worth of electricity straight through your brain.

Save or die is the most pleb version of killing someone.
>>
>>52287340
And their spell casting cost no actions? yeah right ok now you're a Kek Factory. you're not winning this

Also Prime2 Shielding Kek get cuckt your magic doesn't work on me
>>
Prime can conjure anti-magic zones. It's not exclusive to individual defense.
>>
>>52287417
>And their spell casting cost no actions? yeah right ok now you're a Kek Factory. you're not winning this
Wow, your levels of idiotism are off charts. If I only attack and you are only defending - I am going to win. There is no way out of this.
>>
>>52287389
I mean, sure Shielding against Kinetic energy can protect you to some extent from most indirect kinds of harm, but what about telepathic assualt, direct life-force assaults, electrical, or heat based attacks, or telefragging.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
>>
>>52287352
>powerful but mentally incompetent mages
>in response to "even intelligent people make mistakes"
There is no reading comprehension here anon. You are just autistic. There's nothing wrong with that. Autistic people can be nice, intelligent, and, with effort, even charismatic.

You are also an asshole though, and there's no fixing that.
>>
>>52287428
And if you want to really fuck everything over; Dispel magic is a level 1 effect, can suppress a magic spell for short period of time which is sometimes just good enough. spell control for spell control.

A prime mage just has to equal out the magical symmetry. and then beat the other mage with mundane means before his duration elapses.

>OBRIMOS SUPREMACY
>>
>>52287481
see
>>52287493
>>
>>52287492
You're arguing something completely counterproductive now.
>>
>>52287389
>>52287484
Direct damage should be resisted by Mage Armor and Armor in general. Indirect damage should be resisted by Withstand and Supernatural Tolerance.

>>52287493
You only state that Prime magic is best in magical combat. Which is nobody argued about. But you can't assume that all mages have Prime. And all the rest still playing game of instakill.
>>
>>52287521
Look, let me step back from the insults.

I am asserting that mages are flawed, like all humans, and thus won't act perfectly logically, will leave weaknesses that others can exploit, and will do things that will leave them at risk at times. Like any human being out there, even the most determined and intelligent.

That is the whole of my argument, sans the insults.
>>
>>52287493
>can suppress a magic spell
...and mage will just cast another one. Also, you must include all Arcana involved in the casting of the subject spell at one dot, and good luck with that.
>>
>>52287529
Some is, but there's always an exception.
Such as using Weaving to render the oxygen around someone, and in their lungs extremely caustic.
>>
>>52287545
I can fully agree with all of that, but not when Adepts and Masters are involved.

You can't afford to be a fool when you're that powerful, you just can't. The only thing that counters this notion is the healthy serving of hubris, which isn't much of an excuse to go on.
>>
>>52287557
Yes, and indirect magic should be Counterspelled. I thought about making the Universal Counterspell universal Attainment, that would solve most of the problems.

>Such as using Weaving to render the oxygen around someone
With normal air pressure the effect won't last a second.

>and in their lungs
Can't target living Pattern, should've include Life for this.
>>
>>52287571
>You can't afford to be a fool when you're that powerful, you just can't.
When why most of powerful people in history did insanely stupid things? Exactly because they were so powerful. It warps judgement.
>>
>>52287529
You either have Prime or the same specific Arcana, it's that simple.

>But you can't assume that all mages have Prime
1/5 mages do though, not to mention all the others claiming it as their third Ruling Arcana, and the rest that pursue further dots for various reasons. Most mages will be proficient in more than 3-4 Arcana to begin with.

Individual Arcana are just not uncommon, all things considered.
>>
File: 890535355434.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
890535355434.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>52287584
>Comparing mundane matters to reality warping
>>
>>52287555
and then you cast another one. and you go around in a circle jerk

one in all arcane much easier than 2 in all arcane. or just get prime2 so yeah I'm still right

>OBRIMOS SUPREMACY

>>52287529
>You only state that Prime magic is best in magical combat
I said that I couldn't make any assumptions without additional context. In a mage v mage conflict I highlighted Prime as it can counter any arcane. thus bringing the conflict out of the magical arms race into the a conflict of man v man. The advantage is in the deescalation of magical power
>>
>>52287584
There's a big difference between being a fool and being an arrogant elitist.
>>
>>52287623
>>52287607
>>52287584
>What is hubris?
>>
>>52287595
Also Rotes for non ruling mana problems
>>
>>52287623
No, it's just different brands of stupid.
>>
>>52287571
>>52287607
Well, what makes them stop being human? Power and danger doesn't make people less error-prone, it just heavily increases the consequences.

I mean, brilliant, powerful people who survived terrifying situations still had flaws and at times perished from them.

I mean, hell, there's a theory with some evidence that Stalin died of poisoning after drinking poisoned wine at a party. Stalin was super paranoid and powerful, but he still drank and went to parties, albeit not public ones. The CIA tried to kill Castro for years, but he still smoked.
>>
>>52287647
Which brand are you?
>>
>anti-magefags arguing that mages are laced with downs
>when it's the exact opposite

lol
>>
>>52287670
Stupid for arguing with braindead retards.
>>
>>52287670
The kind that argues with 4chaners first thing in the morning
>>
>>52287529
>Indirect damage should be resisted by Withstand and Supernatural Tolerance

>MFW you're forgetting that most shielding and similar protections are resolved not by Withstand, but rather all-or-nothing Clash of Wills.
>>
>>52287683
You're arguing that the majority of mages are idiots.

You are slowly losing your credibility.
>>
File: 7673712857857.png (392KB, 600x527px) Image search: [Google]
7673712857857.png
392KB, 600x527px
>>52287681

Very rarely are you going to come across a Master that is retarded. Mage haters just want excuses to feel better about themselves.
>>
>>52287681
>bait
both sides are magefags. its a spat about rules and application
>>
>>52287686
Only if you have Shielding from the correct Arcana.
>>
File: straw_men.jpg (136KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
straw_men.jpg
136KB, 640x480px
>>52287710
>>52287691
>>
>>52287681
No, one side is arguing that Masters ust be superhumanly competent to survive, and the other side is arguing that they are flawed as any human, skilled or no.

Neither side hates mages.
>>
>>52276453
>Fear me, mortal, for I am the immortal master of the night and possess all the powers of hell!

>Also, I have a gun.
>>
File: unnamed.gif (1MB, 500x257px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
1MB, 500x257px
Would Shadow Name merit or a Legacy be better for a Mage who sings to manipulate spirits as a Yantra?
>>
Where is all this "Masters are retarded" shit coming from? The argument is that Masters still have flaws, hardly that they're retarded or even that they aren't highly intelligent. Stop shitting up an actually rational argument.
>>
>>52287712
To be honest I often play mage NPCs as absent minded but this is personal preference. I do the same thing to elder vampires
>>
>>52287748
Flaws equate to stupidity, clearly.

Don't you know anything?
>>
>>52287739
Shadow Names are easier to get. Legacies have a whole lot of ideological baggage attached to them. Just get a shadowname if you just want to sing to spirits. it's in theme
>>
>>52287748

From people like >>52287647
>>
>>52287736
This is reasonable approach
>>
>>52287754
>Doc Brown?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFT7hNhop7w
>>
>>52287731
I think they must be lucky, persistent and cautious. Nothing of this implies superhuman intellect and lack of human flaws.
>>
>>52287771
Then ignore him, he's clearly retarded, and don't lump less absurd arguments in with him. It's an insult to both us and you.

>>52287760
Well that's just silly.

A Master is going to be a terrifying, intelligent, and generally... I hesitate to say wise, but definitely learned individual. Now, I think that doesn't stop them from having flaws that can be exploited, but that hardly means they aren't walking beat-sticks.

Hell, their flaw might be extreme paranoid- a constant watchfulness and attempt to avoid giving any weak points- which will inevitably consume time that could be spent researching, pursuing political matters, or seeking power. And it'd be exhausting, mentally. Stress is a bitch.
>>
>>52287788
My Hierarch looks and acts like Christopher Walken in Weapon of Choice. My Prince acts like Ina McSheen in John Wick with healthy dose of trolling
>>
File: 1488221698281.jpg (297KB, 809x800px) Image search: [Google]
1488221698281.jpg
297KB, 809x800px
>>52285720
>Hanging out in time pocket for a few thousand years.
>Ho boy I need a snack
>Hop out of time stream to find mankind has nuked itself to oblivion
>everything is irradiated
>try to go back in time but can only go like 15 seconds max
>time to starvaloo

>>52282578
>A boombox can change the world, you gotta know your limits with a boombox
>cranking out jams and converting soundwaves into sonic beams
>Sustain wound
>feeling kinda cold guys
>my hand can't stop the bleeding
>guys...so sleepy
>bleed out
>>
Can Space magic make someone invisible by letting light pass right through him?
>>
>>52287736

Christof does have a ton of powers though. I'm not sure if there's an official sheet for him, but the guy knows a ton of Disciplines.
>>
>>52287879
>Hop out of time stream to find mankind has nuked itself to oblivion
>not going back in time for some juicy dinosaur meat
You aren't trying.
>>
File: 1808964.jpg (64KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1808964.jpg
64KB, 600x450px
So joining a Mage game and rolling up an Obrimos mage who focuses on Forces and a Shadow Name that symbolizes the sky and wind. In her mundane life she is an olympic level gymnast. She'll have a rank 2 Familiar that uses the wind/sky theme as well. What would be good rotes and praxes to pick up? Her whole Legacy's schtick is defying things that keep you down literally and metaphysicaly, your soul is unbound and free(gravity or destiny). What is a good third ruling arcana that would fit this theme? What are good mundane skills should I pick?
>>
>>52288043
>What would be good rotes and praxes to pick up?
Control Gravity, Free Fall (Shielding from Gravity so you are weightless). For literally controlling wind you'll need Matter, I guess.
>>
>>52288043
Space or Fate? No distance too great, no boundry impossible to cross. Or if your destiny keeps you down? You change it.
>>
File: LifevsTime.jpg (92KB, 700x975px) Image search: [Google]
LifevsTime.jpg
92KB, 700x975px
>>52287899
>need me a flintstone burger to undo all this cancer from the future's radiation
>Going back to the Cretaceous
>That'll be a 75 million mana plz
>I don't has
>lol jk your arcanum is so limited the authors hated you, you can only go back in time about five minutes tops
>Jaunt back 1 minute in time
>resume starving
>no thyrsus to choke you out of this desolate future you chose

-scene-
>>
>>52288088
You dont need matter for wind. Manipulation of air pressure/currents is enough.
>>
>>52288164
Those have nothing to do with said shadow name or Legacy
>>
>>52280571

Pariah
>>
>>52288102
>not preparing for this exact situation with Divination
>not using permanent Veil of Moments to ignore radiation and hunger
>not using Prophecy to find a rich garden with water to drink and bitches to fuck
>not using Temporal Summoning to kill and eat some poor fuck
>not being Archmage of Time and ignoring rules for puny little mages
Smug anime girls won't make your puny Arcana better.
>>
>>52282441
> that took forever

Exalted 3e and Wraith 20 backer here.
You've seen notihng yet mah boi.
>>
Changebros unite
>>
>>52288140
And how you will manipulate matter without Matter Arcanum?
>>
>>52288202
I would but apparently the Keepers find the Internet to be basically Arcadia in terms of entertainment. There's at least a dozen permanent doors to the hedge on 4chan alone. Stay away my friend, the Lords and Ladies are trolling
>>
File: Nice.jpg (48KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
Nice.jpg
48KB, 540x720px
>>52287821
Nice does the Hierarch use a cow bell as a dedicated tool?
>>
>>52288656
>Well, guess what! I’ve got an Abyss Incursion, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

But also in regards to disscussion about mages and their smarts above
>Can't drive. But I can wait. Until stars burn out if you don't make up your mind.
>>
>>52288764
indeed good sir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o0Vv8lr41w
>>
>>52288787
Thou this reminded me of Prophecy in with he was ever awesome but...

Mortensens Lucifer in that movie would make great True Fae in changeling
>Little Tommy Daggett. How I loved listening to your sweet prayers every night. And then you'd jump in your bed, so afraid I was under there. And I was!

or simmilar tape of character in other games.
>>
>>52284171
BJ ZANZIBAR YOU SAY?!

bjz-backup.droppages.com
>>
>>52287189
I have a friend who has high praise for it, he talked at length about a Highlander character he played. Said it's pretty well-balanced against itself.
>>
>>52286905
>Fun fact. You can also take it as your Fourth Attainment at Gnosis 6.
>Which don't count against spell control. So you can bind as many Familiars as you want.

The well known and feared Pokemon legacy.
>>
>>52287879
>Thyrsus mages actually believe this
>>
File: thyrsys.jpg (70KB, 319x612px) Image search: [Google]
thyrsys.jpg
70KB, 319x612px
>>52282486
>>
>>52277081
WHY DOES THAT LAWN CHAIR HAVE A GUN?!?
>>
File: moros.jpg (84KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
moros.jpg
84KB, 800x533px
>>52290207
>>
>>52282190
I do, anon.
>>
>>52288202
Yah!
>>
can a mage survive a sneak attack from an aimed sniper?
>>
File: obrimos.jpg (96KB, 540x587px) Image search: [Google]
obrimos.jpg
96KB, 540x587px
>>52290380
>>
>>52290186
>>52290221
>>52290405
Do you have the other two paths?
>>
>>52290405
I'll take that as a no
>>
>>52290435
>>52290405
>>52290221
>>52290186
I second
Do continue these are top quality work
>>
File: mastigosd.jpg (85KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
mastigosd.jpg
85KB, 600x450px
>>52290435
yes. use these when the magic manbabies get out of line.
>>
File: icanthus.jpg (244KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
icanthus.jpg
244KB, 768x1024px
>>52290435
>>52290451
>>
File: excellent.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
excellent.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>52290470
>>
File: OH SNAP.gif (494KB, 254x178px) Image search: [Google]
OH SNAP.gif
494KB, 254x178px
>>52290470
>>52290455
>>52290405
>>52290221
>>52290186

TOP KEK (on a side note, the Thyrsus dude looks like this hippy moron who lives in my town, him and his ratty dreads girlfriend both).
>>
>>52290470
>>52290455
>>52290405
>>52290221
>>52290207

LEARN THESE FACES. IF YOU SEE THEM ON THE STREET, DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT AND CALL YOUR LOCAL GAY FURRY GUILD FOR HELP
>>
>>52290380
YES bewcause he knew it would happen!!! his acanthus friend told him!!! HE PUT MAGE ARMOR ON IN PREPARATION! tho you should really just put your mage armor on every day anyway.
>>
>>52290883

Is mage armor 24/7 still a thing in 2nd? If its 1st edition then yes, mage all have their mage armor up 24/7
>>
Is there a "universal" wod mechanics guide?I mean one that supports all classic wod game mechanics in the same chronicle
>>
>>52288202
You may get stabbed in the head
With a dagger or a sword
You may be burned to death
Or skinned alive or worse

But when they torture you
You will not feel the need to run
For, though you die, La Resistance lives on

-Changebros unite
>>
>>52287681

Now I'm trying to figure out how to run a downie mage as a serious character
>>
One on one: could Caine kill Lilith?
>>
File: kidding me.gif (500KB, 500x233px) Image search: [Google]
kidding me.gif
500KB, 500x233px
>>52291810
Nope.
>>
>>52291061
No. They last for the scene. You can activate it and switch between variants reflexively for 1 Mana.

Longterm protection is better done with shielding spells or other shenanigans.

You can make yourself stupidly resilient if you so choose. But it's usually not worth the effort.
>>
>>52292786
>>52291061
>>52290883
so, still, no
>>
>>52291835
Yah!
>>
Newfag here. Just had a look at the pdfs (Chronicles of Darkness in particular) and wondering why y'all would even play this mess of systems and sub-systems.
>>
>>52293648
Because in story games the mechanics aren't the focus you autist.
>>
I´m still looking for people to play with and have the habit of building campaigns and settings, even when nobody is ever going to play them. Been brainstorming this stuff since I got my pc running again a few days ago.

How does a high school setting that would later be extended into a town sound? I want to have the typical mystical school rumours with abandoned buildings, sounds in unoccupied classrooms, legends about a tree for loving couples, suicides from the roof.

And of course the mysterious classmates and school idols with vampire student council president, werewolv deliquents, mage honor students, occult clubs, other supernaturals, the children of hunters and normal people. Nobody is aware that many other groups attend the school, but a lot of them and their associates are investigating.

It probably sounds stupid, but I like the idea.
>>
>>52293968
>There are tables on every skill roll.
>Doors and Clues bog down social stuff and investigating.
>Conditions are like Aspects but more autistic.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I know what story games are. Just having tables and everything on rolls instead of a description like:

"Roll Wits + Investigation to see what you can glimpse from a crime scene."

Seems a big much to begin with.
>>
>>52293648
Setting is good.
>>
>>52294179
Why not just adapt it to another system?
>>
>>52293968

>Story Game
>CofD

I get what you're saying, but that term conjures up PbtA, Fiasco, and Forge descendents, which CofD very much is not, even if it's taking pages from them.

>>52293648

It's one of the few systems that fit into that nebulous category of "crunch medium" and I've yet to see a system that does WoD type games better without being specific to a sub-genre or another IP.

>>52294110

The tables are pretty much there only for guidelines as to what the four resolution types might look like. 1 on Chance, 0 successes, 1 Success, and 5 Successes are basically the prototype for Miss/Weak Hit/Strong Hit in most modern design games.
>>
>>52294199

CofD is a large, broad setting with a lot of different kinds of systems depending on Splat and sub-genre of game. What one person wants out of a system adaptation will not be what others want, and trying to encompass everything into, say, Fate or PbtA just isn't going to have the same satisfaction because of it.

Urban Shadows probably comes closest and even then I don't think there's a complete CofD conversion for it. Still the best system choice for doing actual CofD crossover though.
>>
>>52294228
I'm sorry then if still seems overly complex to me. The need to check whether you TAKE A BEAT because apparently everything can led to one is droll. Willpower works fine on its own as a fate point esque mechanic.
>>
>>52294289
Fair enough but I have also heard stories on how clunky the Storyteller system still is.
>>
>>52294295
Maybe tell us what systems you used to play before so we can see where you are comming from?
>>
>>52294295
Some of us hate the Apocalypse games; it's just annoying.
>>
>>52294295

Well, I don't know what to tell you. People sometimes have their own house rules for Beats and such, I know one group I play with does.

>>52294323

I don't think anyone except the fanboyest fanboy will argue that Storytelling (CofD is Storytelling, WoD/oWoD is Storyteller) isn't clunky to some degree. People play for the setting, the system is adequate enough for the setting, and no system as of yet has managed to provide the same appeal of the setting with better mechanics without hyper focusing on certain topics that's in the CofD/WoD Umbrella (Urban Shadows being the noir/crossover aspects, MonsterHearts being modern paranormal romance, Undying being the moral degradation and intense personal horror of the Vampire games).
>>
>>52294199
Well, I tried three times: for GURPS, for Fate and for PbtA. Results... weren't pretty.
>>
>>52294375
I've played FATE, Savage Worlds, D&D 5e, Pathfinder and Fantasy Craft.

>>52294449
Can you elaborate please?

>>52294474
What sort of house rules?
And yeah, I might just check out Urban Shadows instead though I'd love to be part of a Changling: The Lost game and maybe run a Hunter: The Vigil game.

>>52294518
Story time?
>>
>>52294534
Perhaps because I use a lot of narrativism by default in games I run, I find the concept of 'moves' to be entirely annoying. And if a player doesn't think about it beyond the 'moves', then I feel like the codified nature of the 'narrative game' bogs down. It's no different than what we normally do, but the defined nature of it weirdly makes my brain go 'uh, why?'
>>
>>52294591
I think for a lot of players it comes down to choice paralysis, without a more limited range of options people fail to make any decisions, maneuvers of various types help narrow those options down to things the players can go through and choose.
I can't even count the number of players who just get lost on mage due to the sheer volume of options and abilities available to you. More experienced players likely don't need those guidelines past maybe a single roll to direct things, but the subsystems are quite valuable for resolution for both less experienced players and STs.
>>
>>52294534

Basically the house rule brings back the Experience system from 1e back with 2e costs, and Beats instead become reroll tokens, kind of like Bennies if I remember right.

If you want to run something like Hunter, consider Night's Black Agents. It's hyper focused too, but it has a lot of the same feeling.
>>
>>52294534
Well, if you insist.

GURPS is good system overall, IMO, but it doesn't handle supers that good, and most of the splats are just supers with cool powers. I tried to build templates for vampires and werewolves, bu I quickly understood that one of two things happen: either I give up on some rules and do it in GURPS style, or I take some liberties and bend GURPS rules in some places. It also was pain to balance the powers. Dot system is simple; with GURPS powers, you do have to split disciplines like Celerity into three-four different powers with different point cost, out of which only some are actually useable. I tested the result; it was playable, but it required some experience in GURPS, and GURPS players I know isn't interested enough to play CofD setting.

Fate also wasn't that easy to convert. It looks easy in theory, but once you take that up and start building things, you just understand that you will lost some thing entirely. Like, for example, blood pools. You can do them like stress tracks, but the feeling is vastly another. There is also the eternal question: "aspect or stunt?". If you choose the first, the aspect overload is inevitable. The second binds you with what stunt can and can't do. You can't also make power stats. And with overall Fate style of game, it just have a boring gameplay in the end. I like many powers and skills and abilities and equipment in CofD. You can't have all this in Fate.
>>
>>52290380
>can a mage survive a sneak attack from an aimed sniper?
Dumb question.

The answer is nearly always yes. Unless the mage is mentally incompetent, which isn't the case in most scenarios, as discussed above.
>>
>>52294760

So what happened with PbtA? Not the person asking but I assume the main problem there is having to boil down the X/Y splats to either 1 Playbook or try to use the Combo Playbook system that some recent stuff uses to varying degrees of success.
>>
>>52288203
Air is always present everywhere. You just manipulate the currents. Forces can create weather effects.
>>
>>52294716
Yeah; I rarely deal with that. Hell, I don't think it would honestly help out in Mage, but I really don't LIKE Mage. And the people I run games for are options guys; they want clear-cut choices, which is why I don't think it works for me. Otherwise, I hate it because it reads super obtusely, and also because people treat Apocalypse games as 'the best thing since sliced bread'. Which is entirely subjective.
>>
>>52294988
Rather, not clear-cut choices but options they can choose from. I think I need more sleep after all.
>>
File: get out.gif (33KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
get out.gif
33KB, 267x200px
Reminder that only magefags are allowed in these threads.
>>
Ventrue Possessed me and had me seduce and fuck my virgin girlfriend who was waiting for marraige. Is tjis NTR?
>>
>>52294931
Not much. I am not that experience with PtbA to really make a good conversion, so this weren't a good game to begin with. But main problem is the same - it feels really different from actual CofD game.
>>
>>52295108
Nah man he was just helping you out.
>>
>>52295079

The CofD is Mage's sandbox, and they just let everyone else play in it.

If you don't like this state of affairs, complaint to the powers that be at WW/OPP and demand they change the themes of Mage and common CofD rules and setting.

>Sandbox Supremacy
>>
File: that giving mages the knot look.jpg (12KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
that giving mages the knot look.jpg
12KB, 246x246px
>>52295079
you're being silly
don't be silly anon
>>
>>52295243
Im gonna have to marry her now though
>>
File: fae.jpg (155KB, 694x1378px) Image search: [Google]
fae.jpg
155KB, 694x1378px
Changeling The Lost seems so interesting; I love the idea how the Fae work and how fucking terrifying they're made out to be. I kinda wanna get into it and potentially run a game, but I have no idea on how to run a campaign.

Other games are obvious how to run. Vampire has the Jyhad. Werewolves have their fight against Wyrm. How does a Changeling campaign typically roll? I've heard that there's usually a lot of intrigue between the courts mixed with slice-of-life "trying to live a normal life after your life as a slave to an eldritch horror" sort of deal. Is that all?
>>
File: van pelt.png (420KB, 599x397px) Image search: [Google]
van pelt.png
420KB, 599x397px
>>52295602
>How does a Changeling campaign typically roll?

Like Jumanji
>>
>>52295602
Nope, you can literally run everything in CtL. My last campaign was basically "Indiana Jones in Hedge", which quietly became a war movie mixed with drama.
>>
>>52295602
You run vampire except replace blood with emotions. play up the psychological distress. replace the Methuselahs and antediluvians with the fae and the huntsmen.
>>
/wodg/ is now utter shit

Fuck all of you
>>
>>52295368
Then man up and do it.
>>
Running this Hunter game concept by you guys to see what you think:

Your friends are not who they say thry are. They've been replaced by something that's not human. Not from this world. Your father wrnt to see a meteor shower and ever since he's thrown himself into his work. Your best friend is volunteering all hours at this new self help group. Your dog wont stop trying to attack your wife, and she's not who she used to be.

Others have noticed too. There's something replacing people and it's as sick as it is alien.

You're not alone out there

>find the replacements
>stop the cults
>end the alien invasion
>>
What's the average IQ of the average Mage?
>>
Which Hunter conspiracy is cooler to run in Mage?
>>
>>52295987
>>find the replacements
>>stop the cults
>>end the alien invasion

>Ask a mage for help
>Save town before dinner
>>
>>52296005
Same as the average person, since being a Mage doesn't increase your intelligence.

However giving you can use Mind to raise your intelligence, the technical answer would be found by taking the average Intelligence of a citizen of the World of Darkness [Two] and then finding the percentage of Mages who have sufficient mastery of Mind to boost their IQs, then finding the average amount it can be so raised.
>>
Do you have to be a virgin to Awaken?
>>
>>52296035
>implying mages are better than werewolves at sniffing out replacements and hunting them down
>>
>>52296024
Knights of Saint George
>>
>>52295987
Are they fetches?
>>
>>52296116
Why them?
>>
>>52296242
They're cool and they're the designated Mage conspiracy.
Malleus Maleficarum are good as well.
>>
People talk about Changeling the Lost here, but how is The Dreaming? Are they too different? Which one do you think is better? I never read any of them
>>
>>52296501
Dreaming is the game of Fuck responsibility or normies
>>
>>52296532
Seems great dbh
>>
>>52295735
>>52295767
>>52295778
So players should be caught up in the intrigue of the courts, going around collecting emotions (I guess it works like Blood works, to nourish the characters in some way?) and always looking over the shoulder in fear of the inevitable Huntsman who's coming their way, to bring them back to the Fuckbox(tm)?
>>
>>52295079

Seriously, It's that Mages in both games have the most shit to talk about. I try and talk about Vampire, i'm like "So, uh, how about that Caine dude?" Meanwhile I can go on about the Pentacle and how I see the FC as the joining of the Traditions and Technocracy.

>>52296273

St. George is good, but Malleus is a fucking joke. If I wanted to play Christ-Puncher:the game, I'd play a Technocrat in Ascension.

Go with Aegis Kai Doru, finding out the truth about them would probably be a bombshell for mage society.
>>
>>52297225
>>
>>52290380
Certainly not if you're an Entropy mage.
>>
>>52297442

Entropy is shit. Still better than Life.
>>
>>52287736
I always figgured it was

"Hey mortal i got a gun so fuck off"

" oh? Not afraid of the gun then take supernatural powers bitch"
>>
File: garbagio.jpg (97KB, 520x600px) Image search: [Google]
garbagio.jpg
97KB, 520x600px
>>52288188

>Not reclaiming the planet in another burst of radioactive hungry life to rival the Cambrian.

>Instead follow pleb cockroach plan.
>Will get cancer regardless from food and water.
>>
File: Lookatthatfagdrink.jpg (26KB, 539x566px) Image search: [Google]
Lookatthatfagdrink.jpg
26KB, 539x566px
>>52292786
>2e
>>
>>52296035
>Ask a mage for help
>Save town before dinner

>LOL - assuming mages aren't the ones replacing the people and running the cults
>>
File: 1478464473331.jpg (799KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1478464473331.jpg
799KB, 1080x1080px
>>52297487
>Getting dropped by any aimed sniper shot
>somehow superior
This is what homosexuals actually believe.
>>
>>52276709
>Dementation
>useless

someone doesnt know how to play the fucking game
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.