[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Design Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Lets continue developing anons

I got a question do you think it is bad that in system there are characters that have 0 chance at succeeding?

ie: in a roll and keep system, lets say there are three players one whit Roll 3 keep 1, other with Roll 3 keep 2 , and other whit Roll 3 keep 3, there is no opportunity for the first player to succeed in a difficulty higher than 6
>>
>>52275907
Depends entirely on game context.
If it's one skill/attribute/zone out of five, and having one or two stats like this is common, then it's fine.
If it's rarely going to come up negatively, it's fine.
If it's one out of two, or frequent, problem.
>>
What is a good twist for Roll xd6 keep highest system?
>>
>>52277385
Multiple highest give +1, i.e. roll 3D6 and get 2, 5, 5; it counts as a 6?
>>
>>52277685
So a 3,3,3,2 would count as a 4? dont know how the probability would be like
>>
I thought up an idea for an RPG and after running the concept by one of my old gaming connections, have decided to go ahead with it. however, i don't even have the slightest clue on taking something like this from start to finish so i'm having to learn about the process.It's been a really long time since i've been involved in the hobby but i spent years DMing.

Any hints, suggestions, resources, etc, anyone knows that will help get me on my way?
>>
>>52275907
Homebrewed up a system that basically plays like a roll to dodge game. Recently having slight trouble because my players' party consists of 3 players who dumped charisma and one who buffed it to hell and back, but they all keep tanking their charisma rolls. Since in this system rolls pretty much just indicate how much in your favour the result of your action is. But basically a baseline human has the potential to critically fail a charisma roll to the same extent that a min charisma autistic character can. How do I describe that correctly? At the moment my solution is to ask players how they picture their character utterly fucking up a conversation and using that as the direction that a crit fail for that particular character would go, so you don't ever get non-autistic characters having autistic outbursts.
>>
>>52278138
what is your game about?

and my tip, start writing and playtesting
>>
>>52277385
Certain effects/abilities/conditions can give a modifier like +1 or +2 to the end result. Save it for something specific that's super potent. Spending a Hero Point, using magic in settings where magic is the gun you bring to a swordfight, etc.

>>52277729
I'd just say that it applies for sixes. Every additional 6 gives +1. Use anydice.org to work out probabilities. Would be very RNG, certainly- basically the equivalent of nat 20, i.e. random moments of huge luck that make everyone go "oh shit".
>>
>>52278486
We really enjoyed playing TSR's Gangbusters and so i've decided to make a something for more recent times.
>>
Working on an idea for a dice pool mechanic. Its an opposed D12 roll with exploding dice, the biggest diffetence is the defending roll is smaller, but starts with a guaranteed amount of successes.

So the attacker rolls a pool based on the weapon's power, the defender rolls a defense roll and adds their armor. Every successes in the attack over the defense roll is a point of damage. The numbers I'm shooting for is 3-4 dice on the attack roll, 2 on the defense with 1-2 in armor.

>>52275907
Depends on the situation, but yeah, rare instances are ok. Like, a pistol shouldn't take out a tank except for extreme instances.
>>
File: np2HYDd.gif (4MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
np2HYDd.gif
4MB, 320x240px
>>52280508
>>
>>52280947
>ExplodingDice.gif
>>
How do you guys get the motivation to actually write rules down in a format good enough to post on /tg/?
I have the idea, it's fleshed out enough to be playable but I haven't actually written anything down.
>>
>>52283027
I just start writing and imagining things
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.