[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 49

File: duncan.png (339KB, 994x539px) Image search: [Google]
duncan.png
339KB, 994x539px
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to SeattleNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>52236081
>BTL__The_Dangerous_Information_DOCUMENTARY.trid
>Sunshine.virtwall
>Turning_your_place_into_'Your_Place'.sim
>Pets_And_How_To_Care_For_Them.knwsft

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 204 (75% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Yo chummer, heard you have nothing better to do. Wanna come over and watch some movies?'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Happiness.BTL...

>Paint straight
>Conserve Money
>And never, ever mess with a dragon's trid collection

Lifestyle Edition
How does your character live when not on the run?
Does he have some potted plants he tends?
Is he going out a lot, to party or to entertain himself?
Does he have some pets or some loved ones to be with and get emotional support from?
Or is he trying to escape his dreary life with BTLs and drugs?
>>
>>52275157
My street-sam spends pretty much all his downtime in either his private gym or shooting range, or in the arms of his girlfriend, dude just keeps getting into more and more traumatic shit and to top it off he's trying to quite the kami too but at this rate... Might end up getting ugly.
>>
Now I kinda want to see Dunkelzahn's trid collection, both appearances and actual owned things.

Got a decker that dabbles with the idea (if not necessarily the practice) of custom deck architecture.

Reading up on changes in how hardware's built, planning out fancy looking builds that never get made, and even if they did would probably end up being sold at a loss.
>>
My runner reads trashy romance novels in her spare time, or watches wacky action movies. Coming up with titles are fun.
>>
>>52275157
My runner lives on a broken down boat and tries to reprogram some drones to act like a pirate crew in his spare time
>>
what's shadowrun anarchy like?

I've never played any kind of shadowrun.
>>
>>52276397
Rules lighter, but somehow still a mess in dire need of an editor. Not really an improvement.
>>
>>52276397
You know how icecream tastes fine, but sugarless icecream tastes like feet? Anarchy is sugarless icecream.
>>
>>52276424
is it true it doesn't run with a DM, but everyone has to DM in turns? That seems hella weird to me.
>>
>>52276446
IIRC the game can be optionally played without a GM, but I wouldn't do that shit ever.
The Players can also spend their edge to gently manipulate the game world to do cool shit, like how you can spend edge in SR5 to find cover.
>>
how do I translate this into shadowrunese

>Agents of Sin. Each operator is paired with a demon each representing a sin. They all posses unique attributes/abilities and alter their host in different ways. As such each fulfills a certain purpose within their unit. Due to their unique situation they operate in the shadows with few knowing of their existence.
>>
>>52276492
w e i r d
>>
>>52276670
what do you mean with "paired", "demon" and "unique abilities"?
also, turn off your trip when not in a relevant thread
>>
>>52276670
Initiated Adepts and Magicians who have an NPC Metamagics which allows them to gain attributes/abilities of their Mentor Spirit, like critter powers and attribute boosts.

I also have no idea what the fuck these guys are so if you could elaborate further I could help more. And turn off your trip unless you got a reason to.
>>
>>52276670
even if we don't at least have these cool pics
and thats Envy (Long Range Sniper)

this is Sloth (Mobile Cover/ Heavy Support)

>>52276778
>>52276806
hell if i know what it means its this dude's OCs
crazyasian1 deviantart com
robertbchew tumblr com/about
robertbchew blogspot jp/
>>
>>52276924
As >>52276806 said, some Pairing Metamagic, which pairs them to a different Spirit and allows them to gain Attribute/Ability advantages of that spirit/ work in unison with them

And again, turn off the trip if not in a relevant thread
>>
>>52276397
It's "rules light" except in that it waters down the system rather than actually making it simpler.

Because the devs have a fucking cargo cult about buckets of d6.
>>
>Ruger Super Warhawk (refluffed under a different name) for main shooty shenanigans
>Fichetti Executive Action for concealability and quietness
>Defiance EX Shocker for legal restrictions
>Streetline Special as a throwaway gun
Is this too many guns for a non-sammy runner looking to have a little contribution in a firefight?
>>
>>52277646
An Ares Lightfire can be useful because it can be made more quiet than other Pistols.

Besides that? Savalette Guardian is better mechanically than the Warhawk, even if the Warhawk has more style.
>>
>>52277646
It's actually a relatively reasonable loadout for a face.
>>
File: tumblr_om5m1mjx9O1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg (52KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_om5m1mjx9O1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg
52KB, 600x800px
>>52277672
I understand that the Savalette is the ultimate go-to pistol, but I'm willing to take the hit to efficiency for the sake of having a revolver as my main upfucker. I will have a look at the Lightfire, though.
>>
>>52276670
Channeling + Ally Spirit.
>>
Last session ended with us knocking down the local fighting pit champion troll and kidnaping him from his home.
Half the team is running on Stim Patches and we have no concrete idea if this guy is headcase, infected, possessed or something else. Grey skin, claws, blind eyes and enough strength to simply walk through walls.
Were the 2k extra for delivering him alive worth it chummers?
>>
>>52276670
Sounds like a Spirit Pact to me.
>>
>>52278528
>grey skin
>claws
>blind

Sounds like a ghoul to me
>>
>>52275157

I took Creature of Comfort and Latest and Greatest NQ applying it to my lifestyle. I'm slowly moving on up in lifestyles and waiting for the inevitable "I can't afford this lifestyle anymore" and fall destitute and into the gutter.

I'm also a troll
>>
>>52273958
>Be cybered to .01 essence
>Have no emotion left in you

>>52276670
Literal to the image? Possession, Inhabitation, or 'just' a spirit pact that keeps the spirit tethered to the physical plane. Otherwise? Mentor spirit.
>>
>>52279475
.... Darn it. Meant to point out how essence loss is a contributing factor, but by itself isn't a prime determiner of whether you lose all social ability. You need something extra; weak personality, antipathy, BTL addiction, etc.
>>
>>52279519
Yeah, at least in 5e, as far as limits go, it's possible to just turn into a high functioning psychopath even with nearly no essence.
>>
>>52278528

Sounds like Infected to me. Go get yourselves checked out by a doctor, and hope your GM isn't one of those types who'll just arbitrarily decide some of you are Infected now.
>>
File: THINKING.png (9KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
THINKING.png
9KB, 160x160px
If a Spider is protecting a host, I understand that their deck is probably slaved to the host (provided the host is better) but do they attack USING the host?

Or does the host get it's own actions/attacks and the decker gets separate actions as well?

Re-reading through the matrix section now in the core book to try to answer this myself, but this is awful
>>
>>52280026
>but this is awful
this describes most of the editing, and some of the rules
>>
>>52280026
Host IC attack using the host matrix attributes.

To connect to a host, you have to be logged in with your persona on a device, which means you use those matrix attributes for attack.
>>
>>52275157

Face: Hang out at the red light district restaurants and bars. You wouldnt believe how good the food is there since even hookers needs a good watering hole to take their customers to go eat.
>>
>>52280162

Would a host and spider share the marks on a decker then?

Or would that involve some invite fuckery? (Host gets marks, invites spider)
>>
>>52280444
The host and IC share marks. However, any host is going to do some informing, so the spider is going to hear about the host getting marks if it's not in an approved method (and possibly even then).

So it means that the spider is going to know there's somebody hidden and have only a smattering of possible targets, so they're going to be finding faster.
>>
>>52280272
IRL there's a guy that eats at my restaurant every week, once if not twice. Never with the same girl, and he doesn't realize the entire staff knows.
>>
>get snuck into a party
>party ran by the Alamos 20k
>spike the punch and other drinks with a special version of hurlg that goes down smooth but had the same crippling high booze content
>everyone starts puking and is delirious
>knock out the two security guards, zip tie the cooks, start stealing everything not nailed down
>watches, jewelry, commlinks, paintings, all of it that wasn't covered in vomit
>move things for an hour, then leave and sell it to a middlemen
>make a cool million after it's all said and done

The power of having large ranks in artisan with a specialty in moonshine. It may only come up once at the table, but that once was good enough for me.
>>
>>52275157
My street sam is a football and urban brawl FANATIC and also a man whore who's on a personal quest to sleep with every woman on the planet. He's starting mostly with the prostitutes.
>>
>>52276492
That sounds like some shit they thought would be creative and narrative but never actually play tested.
>>
>>52280821
>That sounds like some shit they [...] never actually play tested.
anon, that describes most of SR
>>
>>52280797
>He's starting mostly with the prostitutes

That's a good strategy. It'll work out when he starts killing civilians, too.

>>52280821
It worked with the sci-fi game that they based the Anarchy rules off of, because that was just a Star Trek-style romp through weird planets.
>>
>>52277732
Personally I use the Warhawk as an anti-armor gun. I'm not looking at tables but I believe it has the highest armor piercing off the shelf of at least any pistol, possibly any small arm (Though note I'm a weirdo who doesn't consider anti-tank weapons small arms just because Catalyst calls them 'sniper rifles')
>>
>>52280881
So far no one has been willing to pay him enough for terrorist attacks.

I mean, he isn't opposed to the idea. But this isn't Aztlan, there are rules.
>>
>>52280797
>man whore who's on a personal quest to sleep with every woman on the planet
>Urotsukidoji III flashbacks
>>
>>52276397
It works fine if you use it for just regular Shadowrun. Less skills, everything else is boiled down a lot easier for consumption purposes. Plot Points are sort of a shared resource that I allow for things like flashbacks that might justify having an extra clip, or a holdout knife in a bad situation.

It isn't great, but it is a lot easier to use the boiled down mechanics from Anarchy to run Shadowrun than to go full Shadowrun.
>>
>>52267465
26 hours to set up a lodge that lasts for 12 hours at the most. Jesus.
>>
>>52281451
Sometimes you simply need a Fuckhuge barrier against all magical stuff
every spell against you has to contest against (Usual dice pool) + Force, so 27 dice at least
All astral perception has a -Force dpm, so nobody can assense SHIT in it
Also, if you want to cast ritual magic you need a lodge, with the Lodge force being equal to or exceeding the force of the spell, so if you want to cast a high force spell you might need a high temporary lodge
>>
>>52281763
If you're hiding from something that needs a force 26 barricade, that you can't just put up multiple mana barrier spells against, you're already fucked. That's when you start sleeping in an Aztechnology pyramid cupboard and hope the locals leave you alone until whatever is looking for you gets bored.

Or rob a kindergarten and offer to trade the kids to the lord of the teocalli for protection, whatever.
>>
>>52281800
I just used the 26 Force lodge as an example
If you want to ward against assessing a force 14-15 lodge should be more than enough
If you want to protect yourself against magic (such as ritual magic) just remember that every 3 Force of your lodge equals one additional hit.
And if you want to cast a fuckhuge ritual spell then the force needs to be Force of the Spell
>>
>>52281800
Actually, that makes me want to run a campaign about a high end mysad in Seattle picking fights with Urubia and Kalanyr, looking to curbstomp their power bases before fighting them mano-a-drago. Just with Aztechnology twigging to what's going on and hiring runners to help and him being terminally stupid, not realising what's going on. Inspector Gadget, if he was secretly an ACU instead of a weird cyborg.
>>52281963
Yeah, I got that, and I know the rules. It's still a pretty fucking ridiculous force for anything, let alone something that'll piss off in 12 hours.
>>
>>52281963
Oh, and remember that each of the Mana barrier spells has to be sustained, so each of them gives you a -2 dpm, which (unless you have enough foci stacked to be severely addicted) is going to be shit
meanwhile the lodge might take a while, but doesn't give you a penalty
>>
>>52280580

Must be really popular spot for the call girls to dine out at. What kind of joint is it? Bar and Grill? ayce? Pricy joint where the girl tells the guy to buy them a drink?
>>
>>53512
Born and raised in prison. Just came into a lot of money. Hobo with a Shotgun, and paranoid. So I've got 16 Bolt Holes. I'm pulling a Dust and stashing grenades all over the city.

Anyone have group gripes? We've got a player who is pretty much copying another player, so we'll have two characters with the same niche, and he's not receptive to the idea that he might be stepping on toes. Either way there's overlap or one will do it significantly better... Neither is fun for the party. Pretty minor but it's still there...
>>
>>52282781
>stashing grenades all over the city.
Are you Seven-7-anon?
>>
>>52281451
As the guy that did that original one, the number came from an estimation of being largely invisible behind it. If force 14 spirits or edge 8 legendarily skilled assensors actually get involved to roll a few dice, you probably have more issues than the expense of reagents and Long Haul.

Plus it's a funny way to foil most any magical tracking attempts. Even if you left behind a few force 12 signatures, good luck to the trackers.
>>
>>52275157
I only ever got the opportunity to play one shadowrun character and he lived pretty inconspicuously. Low quality digs with barely any possessions.

He was a charity worker with a chip on his shoulder and when he wasn't running he was volunteering at soup kitchens or sinless clinics (he was a decent healer).

In the end he was betrayed by his team, blown up and shot in the head.
>>
>>52282861
Definitely, on the bigger problems front. Maelstrom/Oblivion are.. f15, I think, or maybe 15/14. Tak/Gaf are 13. Buttercup is F16-20. Jurojin is probably 24 or so. Veryna would be Buttercup grade. There's one or two pre-awakening Awakened NPCs running around, like that Black Lodge member, who are 'involved'. There's probably one or two like Miles Swinburne, who ended up augmented to all fucking get out, but survived and ended up finding a way to build their magic anyway. At least one of those will have found some method of delaying age. Not counting dragons and (angry about) ELVES, there's probably like 16-30 spirits/people on the planet who could reliably fuck with a ward of that strength, and all but maybe half a dozen probably wouldn't give a shit. That remaining half dozen would probably go sniffing around and treat the entire thing as a great big joke and you'd never know they were there.
>>
>>52282844
No but I'm copying his classy ass. For my character, Seven-7 anon is a well-known runner in some circles, and my character idolizes him.
>>
>When your game started off sorta black trenchcoat but thanks to your character being more a mohawk sort that somehow beat the astronomical odds against him by constantly getting retardly good, 14-15 success pre-edge rolls to suplex milspec armor guys off buildings and somehow surviving, the team and GM's focus has shifted from 'sneaking into a base, hacking, and withdrawing with incriminating evidence with nobody the wiser' into 'dude, we need to save this man's daughter! Quick! punch that bug shaman, I'll stall the biker gang!'
>when we steal stuff from private collectors not because of a job, but because IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM
>when you have successfully made the rest of the team fucking stupid after all the cool shit that's happened to you and they now do stupid shit like jumping off of buildings to land on a car with a mattress down below and get in high-speed shootouts while on said mattress because how rad the stories are after it's all said and done

Goddamn I love this tabletop game.
>>
>>52283440

I have the exact opposite happening, a bunch of people used to a very pink mohawk style of game playing under a GM that runs a much more mirror shades to black trenchcoat game. Its hilarious watching them learn first hand how badly things can go, also the shenanigans that logic or willpower one bring, or that one poor bastard who as both at one.
>>
File: ugly_dog_2.jpg (36KB, 640x496px) Image search: [Google]
ugly_dog_2.jpg
36KB, 640x496px
>>52275157

My character is a rude, smelly dwarf, who likes homebrewing beer, and giving it away for people to taste test.

He has a dog, a stray he rescued from Glow City, named Ruffles.
>>
>>52275157
Frag off trog.
>>
File: file.png (55KB, 809x593px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
55KB, 809x593px
Has anyone actually ever used the browse function in the Chummer weapon selector? I'm legitimately not sure if it's useful and it gets in the way from my end.
>>
>>52284440
2 logic best logic. Just enough to be stupid, not low enough to be literally retarded. It's like it's made for shenanigans.

Though while we're vaguely on the subject, i'll never not be mad that logic is what you add to willpower to resist fear instead of Charisma. It should be force of personality overriding their attempt to scare you instead of logic.
>>
>>52284850
I play with a 2 logic cowboy and I'm scared his IQ is on the 70s.

I've never heard him use a 3 syllable word.
>>
>>52284850

Yeah, it should just be a composure test.
>>
>>52284882
>2 logic is functionally retarded
And that's why I fucking hate nerds.
>>
>>52285579
3 is average, anon. As in 100 IQ.
>>
>>52285677
Sounds about right. The average Chad is pretty dumb.
>>
>>52285702
Actually, 90-109 is average.
>>
>>52285742
Which would make 100 the middle number. The average of the average.
>>
>>52285677
Intelligence should be measured by a combination of Logic and Intuition.

You still need negative qualities to be a retard.
>>
>>52275157
My mage has a cozy little apartment in an old building, with a big garden throughout the place, mostly with herb plants. It factors into his lodge, along with traditional native american decorations. It looks like a fucking hipster den.

During the day, he works as a cook for a pub owned by an eccentric Irish ork. It's a chill meeting place for a niche runner community in the area, and it puts his culinary arts degree to some use.

He visits clubs and bars pretty often, attends wizrock concerts, and enjoys dancing and partying it up. He's starting to develop an addiction to Bliss, which might become a serious problem for him in the future.

As for support, he has wizgang buddies, some runners he's on good terms with, two of whom he's practically a brother to, and his boyfriend. He's got it pretty good, but running is a necessity to support the lifestyle.
>>
>>52286715
Can my shaman buy some organic kale from you?
>>
>>52286816
Hell yeah, but he doesn't have much to sell, and it won't really keep if the buyer isn't around San Fran.

He doesn't have enough room in his apartment for more than a few pots, but he's planning to add more of it to his collection once he gets an open space for growing. He'd ideally like to be able to grow most of his food on his own, since Aztechnology isn't allowed to even take a piss in the CFS now, aside from having Stuffer Shacks.
>>
Anyone know of some good poster maps I could buy?
>>
>>52287019
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google
>>
>>52287036
Fuck off retard.

If I were happy using the typical, low-detail maps then I wouldn't have asked.
>>
>>52287089
There's a relatively high-detail world map in the Sixth World Almanac, as far as I know. Apart from that, I don't think any canon physical maps exist.
>>
>>52287089
>HURRRRR I'M RETARDED AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE GOOGLE PLEASE SPOONFEED ME
Literally ten seconds of google will get you all the shit that you need, you incompetent fucking nigger.
>>
>>52287123
>>52287130
Replying to myself for the sake of identification. I just did a cursory googling for the anon who asked, and I came up with nothing. Personally, I only know about the Sixth World Almanac map because I was lucky enough to see a picture of it being pulled out of the handbook in an unrelated context.
>>
File: commissar.jpg (86KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
commissar.jpg
86KB, 800x600px
Hey, /srg/.

Have you ever done social rolls in combat before? How viable is it to just play a really inspiring team-parent? Pic semi-related I guess.
>>
>>52287326
The leadership skills can be useful. The Teamwork test and the initiative boost can be useful. For example, if your Samurai or Adept needs a little more initiative to get his next pass or interrupt action.
>>
>>52285756
That's not how sets of data values and dispersion works, anon.
>>
>>52286164
Intuition is gut feeling
>>
>>52288739
An educated gut feeling.
>>
>>52288766
No. You can't have an educated gut feeling. A refined gut feeling, sure, but education plays zero role.
>>
>>52288830
It does play a role in calculating your total knowledge points.

Intuition is your wit stat. It represent how fast your brain work and your capacity to think out of the box as opposed to logic that represents how good you handle math skills and book learning, for example
>>
>>52288909
I can agree with that. It's street smarts.
>>
Does anyone have the pdf with the conversion of the Prime Runners book and Jane Foster's stats from SR3 to 4, and then costed out?
>>
>>52285677
>hurrr how do bell curves work
Also the average is more 2.5 than 3 unless you assume Attributes C is the standard for NPCs.
>>
>>52290550
Traditionally, SR's scaling has assumed 3 is the human average. It's another one of those things that the 5e core didn't put in, at best assuming you already knew, at worst just being cut or left out for even less reason.

Of course, the average human person isn't going to be all 3 across the board. They're likely to have some 2s and a 4 somewhere.
>>
Guys, I want to go semi-crazy and throw my money at everything that will be useful for GMing shadowrun. What should I buy? There are a lot of products to choose from. Right now I'm sure I'll be ordering the alphaware toolkit, the core rulebook, and a kg of dice(kek). I'd like a book with some in-depth shit about the world and such, but not a story if you know what I mean.

I'm pretty sure I'll be GMing for a while. It's my D&D group and we lost our DM, so I reluctantly took the reigns and thought I'd do something different while I'm at it, and now I like the idea.
>>
>>52290773
Use pastebin and get all books.

Spend money on 11 pounds of d6 and some cyberpunk terrain for mapping.
>>
>>52290830
Yeah, I torrented all of the 5e digital material, but it's much more convenient to have a book for everyone to pass around, and I can't read on my tablet for too long before getting frustrated.

I'm happy to spend a bit of money on a quality game that will keep me entertained for a very long time.
>>
>>52290885
>I'm happy to spend a bit of money on a quality game that will keep me entertained for a very long time.

Then you should start with the SR3 corebook.
>>
>>52275157
Matrix gaming. Programming. Lots of programming. Matrix vigilantism. Lots of board visiting. Matrix chat rooms.

If you haven't guessed, his addiction and the bullet that went through his spine during a gang fight in Tacoma that he was a bystander for, pretty much keep him hooked up most of the time.
>>
File: Bait Castlevania.png (21KB, 625x790px) Image search: [Google]
Bait Castlevania.png
21KB, 625x790px
>>52290902
>3e core
>quality
>>
>>52290902
What's your reasoning if you'll excuse my ignorance?

Is the 3rd edition just the one that people will be playing for a long ass time, or were the rules perfected at that point, with future versions just being sup-par money grabs? Or both? Or something else?
>>
>>52291016
I'm not that guy above, but it does have some stuff that you might find interesting (like what the difference between grades of sim-sense recordings that aren't just legal and BTL grade).

Rules wise, it's a little less of a mess than the previous editions, but as a general thing the rules have gotten generally better in each edition.

Not that the editing in 5e would actually let you realize that at first blush, but that's a separate issue.
>>
>>52275157
All versions are sub-par moneygrabs but 3e has all the relevant lorebooks.

Just download it from the MEGA. Don't give CGL a cent if you can help it.
>>
>>52291141
Everything I've read so far suggests that they deserve the money. Not sure how much the rules were improved over the past two editions, but the ideas and the setting are insanely good.

I don't actually care whether they get my money or not, but I do like to own physical copies of things.
>>
>>52291716
https://geek-related.com/2010/04/17/catalyst-games-defiant-criminals/
>>
>>52290773
Everything is free and you should never, ever buy anything from Catalyst.
>>
>>52291759
I guess I could buy used.
>>
>>52291141
20th Anniversary with 3e Lorebooks is the superior option.

That said I'll admit that I fucking hate the return to "Hack the Gibson" shit that tells me most shadowrun grogs have no idea that Cyberpunk evolved beyond Neuromancer and Snow Crash decades ago already.

And for every good fix in 5e, there's at least two new rules that break good stuff.
>>
>>52290773
Buy the core book of your favorite edition if you actually want it physical, don't bother if it's "paying the artists", the devs don't pay the artists either.

Torrent the rest of that shit.
>>
>>52291759
>2010
Have they changed leadership at all since? Seems like this sort of publicised dodginess would be the type of thing that would get a CEO booted from a company.
>>
>>52292045
Loren Coleman is still the boss so no.
>>
File: shadowrun.jpg (42KB, 193x147px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun.jpg
42KB, 193x147px
>>52275157
>>
>>52292045
It's because In Media Res, the parent company, is a private company held by the same people.

CGL just seems to be an LLC subsidiary for security purposes as far as I can see. So basically only the family can get rid of the leadership, and the family is the leadership.
>>
>>52275157
WHich version should new players play?
>>
>>52292259
Get the superbook for understanding the 5e rules, get some lore books from all around, and get the books for the stuff you're using in 5e for more detail.
>>
>>52292319
Okay I'll do this

So 5e all the way ?
>>
>>52292345
The other editions are better on lore and information, but even then you'll mostly want to stay 3e and later for that lore and information.

Otherwise you run into things like Cacaodemon Debt Default Syndrome and metahumans that can be allergic to guns, armor, and 'ware, which just don't hold.
>>
>>52292345
And I forgot to mention two other things.

http://danvolodar.ru/ancientfiles/Dunk_Will.htm

The will still has a few bits of plot to use and here's a companion piece to go with it.

http://danvolodar.ru/ancientfiles/Artifex.htm
>>
The main problem with 4e and 5e lore is that they basically cut down the viewpoint characters to the hardcore sociopathic mirrorshades edgetards and removed most of the cyberpunk flavour.

CGL expects you to play the man or a servant thereof, hooding runs are basically something to punish the players with rather than an occasion to run against the assholes bringing you down, and the tendency to focus on the shinier, brighter parts loses track of the fact that for the bulk of metahumanity things are actually pretty shit.

It's the 90s, cocaine fueled corporate whore version of cyberpunk in a lot of ways basically. No one fucking respected Kane in 2e (or Clockwork when he was introduced in 3) and for a lot of good reasons.
>>
File: 1362626924981.png (161KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1362626924981.png
161KB, 500x375px
>>52292914
>CGL expects you to play the man or a servant thereof, hooding runs are basically something to punish the players with rather than an occasion to run against the assholes bringing you down

Which I fucking hate. I think it's a ton more entertaining to play the game like it's Phantom 2040; fighting against the man and taking down key buildings or blueprints to stop them from getting more power and defending what little good you got while doing so, where the corrupt cops are looking for you, but the average Joe and noble cop think you're a Robin Hood type. It's a ton cooler that way, and it felt like earlier versions of the game really wanted to embrace that style more than just playing a nihilistic or psychotic asshole in a world with absolutely nothing good in it.
>>
>>52292914
>>52293167
There's absolutely nothing preventing you to play hooders in the rules, you know. It's up to the GM to set the tone of their campaign.
>>
>>52292500
Thanks man, I'm going to check that out when I get home

>>52293167
>>52292914
Does it have to be like that?? Do the rules pigeon hole you into that real quick ? Or I guess the premade adventures? How to avoid ?
>>
>>52293222
>>52293240

There's nothing there saying you can't, I agree, and thanks to some awesome GM's, I've had plenty of jobs that let me get my moralfag on. But the problem is there is no in-setting fluff showcasing the potential of hooding and dealing blows against big tech. Any sort of examples of fluff provided showcased that people that aren't full-aboard the asshole train tend to end up in a shallow grave, and that everyone is in it for themselves.

Like, in 5e I can't offhand think of a single flavor story in the books where the underdog comes out on top and is able to at least get a bit of a victory for the little guy.Instead it's just the developers wanking around their asshole self-inserts.
>>
Hey Chummers,
One of my players wants to acquire a DiKote drill or saw or similar for dealing with locked doors. Not a murder chainsaw, but something they can use to destroy obstacles when they hit a hard site.

Is there anything like this in a splatbook? Any idea on rules?
>>
File: 1386282943455.gif (957KB, 500x418px) Image search: [Google]
1386282943455.gif
957KB, 500x418px
>Ask the players to do something that is probably incredibly evil
>From their knowledge it had a 99.9% chance to cause mass casualty
>They don't even negotiate the contract, they just agree
>At no time do they question what they're doing
>After it was revealed a mission later that it was potentially heroic, they did not respond to that at all

No argument, no debate, just doing the work without further investigation or question.

Goddamn, my runners cold mercenaries.
>>
File: ram.png (162KB, 421x533px) Image search: [Google]
ram.png
162KB, 421x533px
>>52293429

Rams. Run and Gun.
>>
>>52293429
Have your heard about explosives? They're pretty neat.
>>
>>52293506
That's pretty close. So, just set up and 16P a turn until door goes poof? Neat.
>>52293557
Specifically wanted to avoid them to keep the heat off. I'm playing with a street-scum level group and this is their step up from literal hold-up jobs: hit pawn shops and small banks, saw open secure boxes/doors, steal whatever they can fence and escape in a stolen van.
>>
>>52293734

The shock one is obviously better if the player has any strength at all (and/or if you believe it can be overcharged)
>>
>>52293838
I believe the plan was to set it up and then control the crowd while it worked, not to heft it around.
Also, the players are all human, it turns out.
>>
>>52293440
Give them a run where they HAVE to think for themselve.

Like a job from K.E. to go to a gang hideout and kill 30 ganger. Problem ist, the Gang only has 20 Members and K.E. knows it.
K.E. want to have it look like a wanron gang attack (that is the part they might tell if asked).
But also they want the dead innocent to have an alibi for going into the scene, after the deed is done, and kill the runners with a "suddenly appearing" HTR team.
Of course K.E. has no intention of paying them.
>>
>>52293902
Main thing about this twist is to not overuse betrayals.

Use it too often and the runners are going to try and go into business for themselves just lifting stuff. Which is kinda doable, but also a very different kind of campaign.
>>
Hand Razors or Hand Blade? What's better, math-wise?
>>
>>52294157

Sidenote: Not sure if this is intentional, but in Chummer, it says Hand blades are "Blades" category, but it's using the Unarmed Dicepool.
>>
>>52294157
Spurs.
>>
>>52294287

No benefit from pairs, right?

Seems like spur on one hand, shock glove on the other is probably the right way to go. Lethal and non-lethal hand to hand, enhanced by augs. (12P AP-2 and 9S(e) AP-5, just depending on the striking hand)
>>
>>52293337

No world changing crisis means no opportunities to hood. All the recent metaplots impact have much more subdued than previous editions
>>
>>52294383
Unless you have a fuckhueg dicepool that allows you to comfortably split it and strike an enemy with each hand at the same time, then no. A single (set of) spur(s) in one of your arms is definitely enough.
>>
>>52293902
>>52294095

The problem wasn't the lack of thinking for themselves, the problem was me being shocked at the complete lack of morals in the team. One character I knew is an evil, self-serving shit, but the other two surprised me.
>>
>>52294446

"I am attacking with my shock hand" to stun vs "I am attacking with my spurs hand" to physical. No splitting.
>>
>>52294417
>No world changing crisis means no opportunities to hood.
You can easily do it on the small scale, especially given that a world changing crisis isn't needed to make people's lives shit.
>>
>>52294514
If you have a set of spurs in each hand, you can multiattack, as in attack different targets with each hand, potentially dealing double damage.
>>
Are there pregens in the MEGA? I can't find them.
>>
>>52294863
You mean the pregen characters? Check the Beginners Box content folder in the 5e folder
>>
>>52294804
>potentially dealing double damage.
chummer, you are splitting dice pools
Unless you are EXTREMELY min-maxed for that you won't hit shit
>>
>>52294804

Still too close to chargen to take advantage of that properly, currently: 15DP doesn't seem worth splitting.

I'm not sure my math is correct, but it seems it'd only be worth splitting if I could regularly hit my unarmed accuracy limit - (11), which would require 33+ dice (average of 33% of rolls are a hit). And then I'd just be splitting the 34th dice onwards, which would just be throwing it out there since I have nothing better to do with it.
>>
>>52295274
Alternatively, it's the best time to have Superhuman Psychosis and a friend that's willing to throw some Enhanced Suppressive Fire around you and your targets.

(This is probably a horrible idea if you don't have lots of Edge, and probably even then too.)
>>
>>52295274
>>52295297
And you are both absolutely correct! It looks cool though.
>>
File: weeb shit.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
weeb shit.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>52295319

>mfw all of my unarmed characters I design have superhuman psychosis

I've done it as both a MysAd and as a Street Sam. I think I prefer the Street Sam way
>>
>>52295297
It's more situational than that, but only if you can manage to still have, say, an over 10 pool after the split.

Unless, of course, you're facing somebody with an extreme number of dodge dice. Got two guys that layered on armored accessories until they (basically) can't dodge? Just about any pool likely to get you a success could be a good reason to hit both.

Got a pixie dodge monster, don't split. You need the dice.
>>
>>52294383
There's a half official rule that if you have a pair of implanted 0 reach weapons and both hands are free for fighting, you can raise your reach by 1.
It's in some mission FAQs and I think the German version of Chrome Flesh.
>>
>>52294771

The best to describe it is new runners from the JP era isnt born during a massive crisis like GGD, Bug City or Night of Rage where the idea of finding honest work or dishonest work for an crime org is impossible because of the situation at hand. These days? Just as planned by Villers when a Mega he runs collapses, CFD hasnt made the big impact as Bug City did and fuck having another Body Snatcher Metaplot.

For runners to justify hooding they have to be thrust into a difficult situation where nuyen is the least of their worries.
>>
>>52275157
My mage keeps in touch with home a lot and -cough- political operations. He enjoys trids and music otherwise.
>>
>>52282072
>What kind of joint is it?
Popular is over stating it, we're nestled in the middle of this business HQ area; so we churn at lunch but dinner is usually a much slower pace for not much more money because it's only the few local residents at that point.

Which is why the girls stop by. They only coyly hint at it and never state it, plus they're always meeting someone there. They have a glass of wine, some relatively cheap eats before heading somewhere more upscale.
It's also why the workers always try to get to know them, potential regulars and all that.
>>
>>52294383
>No benefit from pairs, right?
Nothing RAW, but as of Chrome Flesh, the writers came up with the idea of two identical aug weapons granting reach +1, so talk with your GM.

>>52294446
You can do that with one melee weapon. Just as effective as two, half the cost.
>>
>>52295274
There's one situation where that changes. Surprise.
>>
>>52296498
Wow, so either
>you are only useful in one situation (when suprising targets)
or
>you are only useful if you put all your resources into getting your dice pool as high as possible
>>
>>52296644
If you're dual wielding, yes.

Surprisingly enough, you are not forced to dual wield in disadvantageous situations.
>>
How safe is encrypted matrix communication?

If the runners or Mr.Johnson are skittish, is it possible to do so via text or voice coms? Video coms?
>>
>>52297559
Fairly safe as long as everyone's got a device they're sure hasn't been compromised. (The major way of doing that involves Format Device with Bootstrap to either send out data or give marks anonymously)

If you wanted the available nigh-acme of security, then you want micro-trancievers.
>>
>>52297559
Use micro-transceivers. Designate a location and everyone involved goes within 1km to chat without connection to the matrix.
>>
Anyone else feel like /srg/ has been losing steam lately? Its like we've argued about everything that could possibly be argued about.
>>
>>52298311
Adepts are the coolest archetype. Dodging is both cooler and better than armor soak.
>>
>>52298367
>Dodging is both cooler and better than armor soak.
sure, though I think getting additional armor is easier than getting additional dodge dice
>>
>>52298311
Eh, the new magic book will come out soon, that'll ignite a bunch of arguments again. Technomancer book isn't dead, god knows when that'll come out though.
>>
File: 4chan ronnie.jpg (28KB, 286x268px) Image search: [Google]
4chan ronnie.jpg
28KB, 286x268px
>>52298311

Just wait for someone to show up and ask how to make an AI rigger again

Or stat a catgirl
>>
>>52298386
>Technomancer book isn't dead
Sure, it isn't dead
instead it's in a coma
>>
>>52298367
The main problem of adepts is that they're basically just a way to do "magicwared" mundanes, and it just kinda ends up being cheaper than bio or cyberware.

A vindictive DM can fuck them up with background counts but then it begs the questions as to why anyone would use magic supports in zones like that (that and the notion that there should be low-key background counts everywhere doesn't really work with the idea that a mile out of Auschwitz-Birkenau is at most a 1-2). Plus background counts are basically an attempt to fix a problem that could be better balanced otherwise.
>>
>>52298395
It's probably finished, but Loren needed new insulation so all the copies were stuffed into his roof.
>>
>>52298391
I'd say what if they combined the requests, but I think that could make things a bit easier.

If nothing else, properly made rigger AI can get a bunch of six skills a lot cheaper than anyone else.
>>
File: 1329860727157.jpg (20KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
1329860727157.jpg
20KB, 544x400px
>>52298367
Adepts are fucking sweet since karate is cool and kung-fu magic is cool.

Though fuck mystic adepts and magicians. I'm real fucking sick of dealing with spirits and that stupid quickening faggotry.

>>52298311
That just means someone needs to start posting storytimes.
>>
>>52298395
Supposedly it's being rushed through the editing pool, but that's a morass of poor layouts and fapping to Echo Cernik's tarot cards.
>>52298311
I mean really it could be worse, we could be like reddit and have idiots trying to stat disney princesses as shadowrunners then ignoring basic fucking concepts like giving Mulan Wu Dang Sword.
>>
FUCK.

I'm looking for a table that showed you the "scale" of skills, and I think the example it showed was either first aid or medicine. Does anyone know the book I can find this in? It talks about, for example, a 1 is "I know how to use band-aids" and 12 is "World-class doctor/surgeon"
>>
>>52298956
AFAIR it's in the character creation chapter of core.
>>
>>52298897
I feel like the only way it could be worse would be if Mulan was given Kyujutsu or Kenjutsu.

Wait, no. There could be the Goddess or Lion totems involved.Those were things right? I'm not hallucinating them?
>>
>>52275157
We'll I HAD a bitching high rise apartment with all the fucking good shit, chummer. I ate caviar off the finest plates and smoked the choicest deepweed grown by the best Carib League stereotypes.

Then I got chased out by Triads and Jaguar Guards and now I run a free clinic in Kowloon Walled City twenty hours a week just to feel humble and get high off of the good feelings. And free painkillers.
>>
>>52298897
>we could be like reddit and have idiots trying to stat disney princesses as shadowrunners
I looked at that once before I realised that no amount of my advice was going to fix their character creation process.
>>
File: Biotech.png (208KB, 888x462px) Image search: [Google]
Biotech.png
208KB, 888x462px
>>52298977

Found it. Bullets & Bandages
>>
I would storytime, but it's all just fairly boring stories of incompetent people wasting time.
>>
>>52298877
MysAds need to be made to choose. Pick 2 from, I don't know, astral projection, sorcery skill group, conjuring skill group, enchanting skill group. Let them do some weird MysAd only initiation for a third, and the fourth is locked off.
>>
>>52299031
They're in the new book, I posted screencaps of them the other day. Reddit's currently losing their shit over Goddess's disadvantage because of the feminisms, while Lion is just bad. I've never understand how SR writers can fail to understand how spergy their target audience is.
>>
>>52300106
I kinda remembered them both as being really bad. Almost akin to a negative for limit fuckery (Lion) and messing with leadership among other things (Goddess).

Possibly also a rather pointless bonus for Goddess, but that I'm less sure on.
>>
>>52300437
Not only Leadership, but the shittiest of PC rolls: Instruction
>>
File: 1422627670025.gif (1MB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1422627670025.gif
1MB, 500x363px
>>52275157
Playing a slighty unhinged Hacker. He was just another corp spider, fairly good at his job, had a few backdoors he knew about, a little dirt on his bosses that he never really had the balls to try and use.

Then the crash happened. Of course he was online, of course his brains got a little bit scrambled, and of course his ID got lost like so many others.

So now he lives in his van and refuses to park in the same sq. km. twice. Only contacts are online forums and datahavens. Since he knows first hand just how fucking intrusive data colection is he's paraonid about that shit. Wont eat or drink anything without zaping it with a tag eraser, changes ID's every month, (gives the old one, along with a credstick to a hobo to lay false trails with) has a small box of face disgues goop, GM even let me use his programing skills to make new skill softs... for walking. Pays hobo's to strap on a trode rig and walk around for a bit so he can just plug it in and alter his gait.
>>
>>52300773
This guy could make a killing selling Fake SINs.
>>
Can we fully agree that Book of the Shit does not exist?
>>
>>52300789
I'm always surprised some megacorp - or even SpIn - doesn't just have a 'totally real ID department' or something. 15k, real Corporate SIN that they'll erase whenever you want. Corporate SINs give no details, they're just queried by the database as "is this real" when checked. You'd only have the least paranoid and retired runners doing it, but still. Not a huge amount of overhead there.
>>
>>52300106
Can we have them again? Or a link to the reddit thread with them.
>>
>>52299343
More of this for other books would be bloody welcome. It's sort of hard for things without a real world equivalent, but still.
>>
>>52301273
Buddy, book of the lost is worse than Storm Front.

Let that sink in.

You don't want it.
>>
>>52301330
I do want to see what they did to my precious Lion mentor spirit.
>>
>>52301328
I remember third or fourth ed's core book had references and real life examples to give context to skill ratings.
>>
>>52275157

I've spent a good portion of our group's lifespan insisting that my Troll Face has his own house thanks to him having a Middle lifestyle. I'm convinced that everyone else having Low or worse lifestyles has convinced them that having a halfway decent place to live is impossible in SR...
>>
>>52301344
Yeah, I know. There's a shittier version in the current book. But one tailored to each skill is the kind of fluff that's really nice to see, even if it's meaningless except for RP value.
>>
>>52301342
Downside is -2 to Limit if it doesn't benefit team.
>>
>>52301369
Yeah, literally found the thread not two seconds ago. And the goddess one. Fuck me, is it troll bait? It has to be.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. Just port the 4e one directly over and be done with it, give them +2 dice to composure checks as an all bonus. Solitary lions are a goddamned thing, so I hope anyone with the mentor spirit has a really, really creative-interpretation friendly GM. Every time I think CGL has hit rock bottom, they start digging.
>>
>>52301361
While I'd be curious to see something like that, you know the writers don't know jack shit about anything and would probably list a bunch of garbage examples. Furthermore, players would spend all their time wanking furiously about how their character can shoot better, run faster, and be smarter than <insert actual talented person here>.
>>
File: file.png (295KB, 399x490px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
295KB, 399x490px
>>
File: file.png (215KB, 383x353px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
215KB, 383x353px
>>
File: file.png (339KB, 393x524px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
339KB, 393x524px
>>
>>52301397
>>52301410
So tumblr got in to CGL and set up shop thoroughly, the commlink is worse than other varieties and they turned Wolf's fluff into Lion. Bloody hell.
>>
>>52301392
Usual better players argument.

Hell, playing someone with logic 6+ is already difficult enough. They sure as hell aren't omniscient, but if they're sitting around with 7-9 logic, these are the people who look at a ticking timebomb, disarm it and go "Oh, this wasn't so hard. I wonder why people go to college for this?"
>>
>>52301436
Goddess was apparently written by Opti, somewhat unsurprisingly.
>>
>>52301436
That's nothing compared to the Deck of Many things.
>>
>>52301475
My gold standard for CGL fuckery is still the slow spell and their response to the embezzlement.
>>
>>52301436
>tumblr

Looks more the opposite to me. It might as well say "Similar Archetypes: Insufferable Nagger, Straight-Up Cunt."
>>
>>52301540
"Hidden wisdom and strength", "Greater or equal to all other male divinity", "Keeper of universal mysteries and secret knowledge", "Lifts the sacredness of women", "Hidden wisdom and strength of her followers", "never take a backseat to any male". Horseshoe theory, maybe, because they're becoming pretty similar in a lot of ways.
>>
File: confused looking anime girs.png (28KB, 186x208px) Image search: [Google]
confused looking anime girs.png
28KB, 186x208px
>>52301573
Why is there one of Goddess but not one of God, anyway? Where's my Jesus Mentor Spirit?
>>
>>52301589
There was a skyfather one in 3e. Wasn't too bad, actually. Give me a minute. Also, muh patriarchy?
>>
File: Untitled.png (40KB, 371x209px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
40KB, 371x209px
>>52301596
>>
>>52301436
The commlink is at least explicit about being a purely ostentatious show of wealth and/or connections.

So if you can get ahold of one, it's good for that.
>>
>>52301606
That's not too shabby and I like the flavor of it. Wonder why it got the can.
>>
>>52301692
Because it was 3e. They started bringing back some in the 4e magic book, but then the unpleasantness happened. Or so I assume.
>>
File: 1487477633714.png (695KB, 854x640px) Image search: [Google]
1487477633714.png
695KB, 854x640px
Anybody running any shadowrun games with some open slots right now? Preferably text only
>>
>>52301589
IIRC, back in 3E the offical magic practiced by the Vatican was Theurgy. hermetic magic with a fancy name There was a Papal Bull on it that boiled down to magic being a tool and therefore only as evil as the way it's used. They even have ordained preists who are aproved to learn magic for this or that purpose, like exorcists.
>>
So I am relatively new to playing shadow run, just joined a campaign set in Berlin. I am playing the party face but have heavily invested in engineering mechanic, cyber tech, biotech and armorer skills. My character has several augmentations so cyber and bio tech are useful but how might I use armourer and the various mechanic skills? Obviously I have focuses more in social skills, but o was wondering what use I might have for these.
>>
>>52302562
As the armorer, you save the team money with weapons repairs, building stuff (rarely) and bolting on weapon mods. As the mechanic, you're there if the rigger/driver is busy. Stuff like industrial mechanic lets you muck with things the decker can't. You're the generalist and bakcup 'what the fuck is this thing?' guy.
>>
>>52302595
Thanks, one more question, what use is the leadership skill, can I use it to buff our sammy or is it only good for if I am directing a squad of mooks?
>>
>>52302882
RTFB
>>
>>52302930
I have but it is absurdly vague.
>>
>>52303126
It really isn't.

Read the Skills section.
>>
How easy is it for someone to detect cyber weapons in a person? Would a cypher blade in your arm be undetectable or would someone quickly be an,e to find it? What about a cyber pistol?
>>
>>52303264
Depends on what is used to do the check. Frisking? Nigh-on impossible. Cyberware detector? piss easy.
>>
>>52275157
They all live in an underground runner haven built along and around a failed Seattle subway project and a few surface buildings that serve as access points and fronts for money laundering.
>>
>>52301211
Is it really that bad? I didn't pick it up because lol $25.
>>
>>52304210
>Is it really that bad?
It's apparently as good as the mechanics people are hving a fit over.
>>
File: Neo Anarchist Spikes.jpg (107KB, 600x836px) Image search: [Google]
Neo Anarchist Spikes.jpg
107KB, 600x836px
>>52292914
>>52293167
I think one thing that they focused on was being poor. Player Characters are (as a rule) poor and SINless, and the general idea of 4e and 5e SR is that you're trying to not be at least one of those things. So the focus is on your own climb out of there.

There's less community feeling and less focus on the idea that a character would commit to some radical cause for little pay, though arguably they are trying to get that back with the Underground. And I disagree that hooding runs are designed to punish players; it's just that karma is worth way less than money for most people, so most people have no mechanical push to take kitten-saving missions.
>>
Automatic Grenade launcher with High-Ex grenades
Yes or Fuck Yes?
>>
>>52305541
Depends on the situation. There's no such kill as gross overkill, but you might want to look up "collateral damage and when to avoid it" in 'Running for Dummies'.
>>
>>52301470
>Goddess was apparently written by Opti, somewhat unsurprisingly

Why unsurprisingly? I don't know much about him beyond the Neo-Anarchist Podcast.
>>
File: In Imago Dei.png (2MB, 1000x1313px) Image search: [Google]
In Imago Dei.png
2MB, 1000x1313px
>>52302377
All that is still true. Order of St. Sylvester still exists and is working within the Church, Christian Theurgy is still the tradition they use is now a CHA tradition.
>>
File: Player logic.jpg (53KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
Player logic.jpg
53KB, 400x500px
>>52305573
>Running for Dummies
Link?
>>
File: 1485472895841.png (352KB, 836x450px) Image search: [Google]
1485472895841.png
352KB, 836x450px
>>52301397
Oh boy, a damegami mentor spirit. Exactly what we all needed!
>>
>>52284594
Thanks for revealing this to me.
>>
I gave money to Catalyst, guys.

Am I going to hell?
>>
>>52306984
Nah, you aight.
>>
>>52306984
its not a sin, just a waste.
>>
Whats a typical Ganger assault rifle? I'm playing a small time gang leader turned shadowrunner, but an Ares Alpha doesn't feel very ganger-like
>>
>>52307826
AK-97, tovaritch!
>>
Assuming your runner was offered enough money/power/resources/etc. to retire from Shadowrunning comfortably, would they?
If not, why?
If yes, how/to what?
>>
Yekka you fuck, Vintage doesn't double the costs of addons in Chummer, it fucking quadruples them. Fix it.
>>
>>52307936
Absolutely. Isn't that why we do it? Every runner is destined to die face down in a pool of blood. Not a matter of "if" but "when" and every day spent in that life is another roll of the die, waiting for it to come up your number. The only winning move in the game of shadowrunning is to not play.
>>
>>52308464
So what would you retire to?
>>
>>52308548
Ideally, a cozy cabin in the woods that isn't completely off the grid, but just on the edge of it so I can still watch my favorite trideo shows and maintain a decent connection to the matrix. I could take my truck into town every month to buy groceries and spend the rest of my life tending a modest garden and communing with nature. And when somebody from my previous criminal life invariably comes to gank me for that thing I did with a stun baton and a rubber duck that one time, I can fight back and bury the bodies somewhere without my neighbors calling Errant on me for noise violations.
>>
>>52302882
Ignore the other fuckwit, /srg/ is populated with text literalists and people who love to play semantics games because it makes them feel big. One or two of the 'thread owner' idiots - you see them in some threads, anyone who disagrees with them causes an autistic shitfit, thy like to put forward their crap as some sort of holy writ.

It's not really for your sammy. It's not really for anything - leadership is when you've got a goon squad. Your GM *might* let you use it to help the Samurai pass a failed composure check or something, but you'd want to talk to your GM about it first - don't spring it on him. Failing that, social infiltration - trying to fit into an office environment, the skill might be useful if he's playing a manager.
>>
Where's the source info that Ares is infested with bug spirits?
>>
>>52308714
>that first paragraph
did you forget to put a post link in it? Because I have no Idea what you are referring to
>>
File: 1471252448269.jpg (180KB, 707x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1471252448269.jpg
180KB, 707x1130px
>>52308717
Market Panic.
>>
>>52308756
The person had one other response, which boiled down to 'fuck off'.
>>
>>52308763
And Cutting Aces too.
>>
>>52308785
It's all over the place in 5e, I just remembered MP because that gives the statistic that some JP user thinks something like 10% of Ares management is now infested.
>>
I can't decide if I want to run with the wired or wireless matrix. On the one hand, the wireless matrix will probably be easier to understand for my players. But on the other hand, cyberdecks and having to plug in tickles my cyberpunk fancy. Wat do?
>>
>>52309414
Send the players on runs where they have to steal data from localized closed systems.
>>
>>52309468
Yeah, that will work. I'm still going to miss the old 80's keytar cyberdecks though. Tablets just don't have the same appeal.
>>
>>52302882
you can shore up the idiot in teamwork tests. test leader can replace the roll of a teammate with leadership plus charisma. gets your mage or decker SUT benefits without needing to buy skills that they don't really use otherwise
>>
File: cant_play2.jpg (46KB, 470x352px) Image search: [Google]
cant_play2.jpg
46KB, 470x352px
>want to play a mystical as fuck priest type
>don't want to get geeked for being a mage
>not actually wise enough to pull off being a philosopher warrior poet
What do I do?
>>
>>52309832
Wear armor as to not get geeked.
>>
>>52309832
Get a pile of zen koans printed out, divide them by topic, try to respond to all questions with said koans.

Spells should all involve murder with extreme prejudice.
>>
>>52309903
That actually might help me fake being a wise guy pretty well.
>>
Yo, so I was wanting to run a game set in Austin, TX, I know I should be playing up the conflict between CAS and Atzlan, but beyond that anyone got suggestions on how to make the campaign interesting? Time period that might be more fun than just 2077?

Players have yet to make characters, so a bit hard to determine a campaign based on that.
>>
>>52310109
Look at the phrase "Keep Austin Weird," and imagine what more that could encompass in the sixth age.

Bats. Lots of bats coming out at night because of old bridges and such that they like to nest in, pet bats, magical bats, technomantic bats, bats bats bats.

Oh, and have a jackalope sighting on one of the river walk routes.
>>
File: Preacher.jpg (59KB, 1000x754px) Image search: [Google]
Preacher.jpg
59KB, 1000x754px
>>52309832
Have you seen Johnny Mnemonic? You should. 'ware is gift of a God.

Alternatively - Colonel Kurtz did the warrior philosopher thing pretty well and straightforward.
>>
>>52310296
Mistah Kutrz? He dead.

But more importantly ,>>52309832 , like >>52310296 said you should look into some 'ware even as a magic type.

It can give some nice benefits that you'd be willing to kill for... as long as you know what you're going to be giving up and how to best counter it. (Hint, use reagents for any spell that doesn't base something important on Force.)
>>
File: jchh.png (117KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
jchh.png
117KB, 444x440px
>>52310208
AWAKENED BATS?
>>
>>52307936
Retirement is something the old do. My runner has a safe job, a cushy home, a SIN, no major enemies - and they continue to run because it is a statement.
>>
>>52307936
The big question, omae, is what strings are attached to that and does it involve betraying important things I believe in for the sake of personal comfort.

One of my recurring characters is an ex-runner who "feels too old for this shit" but still shows the ropes to kids in the barrens and who basically expects to go down fighting a corpsec raid to protect them if shit hits the fan.
>>
>>52312043
>what strings are attached to that and does it involve betraying important things I believe in for the sake of personal comfort.
That mostly depends on how you want to retire and what things you believe in
Let's assume that if there are strings attached they are minor (if you want to retire to a secluded island and drink martinis every day then no strings, if you want a job opportunity where your can follow your hobby then there are of course regulations, but you still have a lot of choice (think 2D in the storytime))
And of course you decide how you want to retire, if at all. If you value freedom you are not forced to work for anyone.

Just want to know what your characters would do should they finish that "last run" (e.g. the Tir Tarngire run in the Two-Dee Storytime)
>>
Would I stay HTR teams as Professional 5 or Professional 6?
>>
>>52312913
5 for AA, 6 for AAA.

Just a warning if you're using the ones in the CRB, don't. They're kinda garbage against even one mildly competent street sam even in groups of 5+, and against a group of min-maxers they stand virtually no chance. I recommend mixing it up with a mage and a rigger if you really want to have a great encounter.
>>
File: 1450541998435.jpg (78KB, 583x583px) Image search: [Google]
1450541998435.jpg
78KB, 583x583px
>>52313141
>mfw my players are all minmaxed as fuck
>>
any tips for a new DM? DMing my second game with 4 people. 2 are pretty capable the other is worthless. 1 in completely new.
>>
>>52313506
Make sure to have the new guy play a decker. Easy to understand rules and fun to play.
>>
>>52313355
Yeah, to give you an example, one of my players can use his Crockett EBR to bullseye burst any enemy I send at him for fucking -16 AP. and because he's playing a mildly well-built adept with all the called shot qualities, he takes a -1 mod to his 20 Longarms.

Believe me, mooks don't stand a chance against mildly competent players. If you want fights to be more "scary" then you can do what some people do and make it so that combat against enemies is just like every other opposed test, where their rating equals how many hits you have to get against them to get any hits. Yeah I know that sounds kinda bullshit but Seal Team Six getting quite easily taken out by an average street sam doesn't make much sense and your mooks are gonna die a shit ton even then.
>>
>>52313594
Just to clarify, that chummer is lying
but anyway
>>52313506
what edition?
>>
>>52313506
Run a session where the Johnson is straight with them.
Next session have that Johnson betray the shit out of them.

Boom, done.
>>
>>52313714
ehh, getting betrayed in the second run seems a bit early
>>
>>52313703
oh yeah, 4th.
>>
>>52313760
>4th

First mistake omae.
>>
File: 1467938989752 4e matrix.pdf (240KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1467938989752 4e matrix.pdf
240KB, 1x1px
>>52313760
Download Chummer: http://www.chummergen.com/downloadchummer.aspx
Take Pic related for the matrix
Read the Sixth World Almanac
Read the fluff books for your location from 3e
>>
>>52313802
not my choice. previous dm liked it better for some reason so everyone uses it.
>>52313819
we all have chummer and have played a decent amount. i'm just not used to dming.
>>
File: Guard stats2.png (24KB, 1903x207px) Image search: [Google]
Guard stats2.png
24KB, 1903x207px
>>52313833
Do as I did and mark yourself all the tables
Remember to read over all the character sheets before approving them
use pic related for mooks

And remember that if you can't remember a rule it is better to wing it and look it up later than to stall the game by looking it up
And of course: Have fun

t. current 4e GM
>>
>>52308036
Ha! Whoops. Fixed in the next build.
>>
My decker spends his time fucking around with his deck while thinking how he can prank his flatmate and partner in imaginative ways, stops only to put said pranks in motion or to drink obscene ammounts of booze
>>
>>52310109
Austin is the HQ and main training Facility of Lone Star Security Services.
Recent books have mentioned that Ares is moving heavily into the CAS, KE included.
Up to 10% of Ares are bug spirits.
Do the math, and have fun.
>>
>>52313355
Shadowrun is one of those systems where its incredibly difficult to find any middle ground between "dead man walking" and "living god of firefights".
>>
Are the only real disadvantages to external smartlink the fact that it takes up a slot and people know you are using smartlink?
>>
>>52316114
And it can, in theory, be affected separately from the gun, but there's not a lot of situations where that's actively useful.

Like, if you could break or hack the smartlink, you probably could have done that to the gun itself and then the gun's out of the picture or what have you.
>>
>>52301596
It was in 4e as well, would probably be easier to translate from that one.
>>
>>52314609
>>52310208

Thanks for the feedback!

Bats hunt bugs at night, any way I could work that angle?

Perfect! I could do a classic, some cops are Humanis and actually committing crimes instead of stopping them. Have runs trying to figure all that out with the Lonestar training facility.

Ares might hire them to dig up dirt on Lonestar so they can pull the power to their organization, and we'll of course Bugs.

Maybe a new infestation is starting in some of the more rural parts of Austin, Bat Shamans are trying to stop it.

Lots of music I suppose.

Would UT change much? Any advice on how a university mixes with the corporate extraterritoriality?
>>
>>52316231
>>52316114
Plus you can hack the laser sight too so it's not like smartlinks are especially vulnerable.
>>
Does specialization in grenade launchers cover underbarrel ones, or just standalone? I assume it does cover them, it's just it doesn't show it on chummer so I thought I'd check to be sure
>>
>>52316465
It covers underbarrel ones, yeah. Cybergun ones too, if I recall.
>>
>>52316232
It wasn't in 4e. That I know of. Like I said, only some got translated over. Then.. bathroom remodelling.
>>
>>52313649
Not him, but are there any other hacky methods to make combat scary? One of my players insists on being the biggest stat stick around whereas the rest are at most low-combat focused.
>>
>>52322436
Force him to be their guard?
They need to do their job, but aren't great at defending themselves
His job is to protect them while they work

Also, unlike in other games, splitting the party works in Shadow run. Make it that he had to go out and create a distraction, or go somewhere and disable something, or something else that is a) far away so you need someone fast and b) is secured so you need someone that can dish out and take it
>>
File: Postal Dude.jpg (321KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Postal Dude.jpg
321KB, 1920x1080px
>>52322436
Use APDS/SnS on your guards. Nobody ever does this and I don't know why. Remember that getting hit with stick-n-shock makes you lose something like 5 ini.

Mages - they exist and are deadly. And not just slinging fireballs, either; if you've spent ANY time on this general you'd come to realize soon enough that Street Samurai can throw better fireballs than mages.

Drones - they don't have lives, so they can be expendable. Big drones with grenade launchers, small suicidal drones with gas grenades, medium sized drones with assault rifles, whatever your fancy.

Specialty weapons - If you're raiding an Ares facility and alarms start popping off, hit his ass with a couple of laser rifles for laughs. Aztechnology warriors are, if I remember, notably tanky and like hitting people with Macuahuitls. Provide suppressive fire with LMGs, and have designated marksmen.

Also, for some odd reason, DMs like having people fight to the death and never take cover. Literally something as simple as saying that these guys take cover is a +4 dice pool to not dying, so that's useful. Most Shadowrun Security is designed around stopping people from leaving so that the hard-boys can come in and FSU, rather than stopping the Shadowrunners outright. HTR only need like, 30 seconds to get to where they need to be on major corp sites.

Another thing - don't provide free escapes. The HTR guys wouldn't come after them immediately, but Lone Star would. Furthermore, retaliation strikes by the Corp are actually fairly common occurrences. Some of the best jobs I ever took as a player and gave as a DM were ones that lasted multiple sessions simply due to the fact that raiding a corp facility for multi-million nuyen info, holding on to it, and being able to secretly deliver it to your employer is a lot harder when people actually care about the fact that it's gone. Instead of doing run-of-the-week jobs, do something that lasts a month and pays a shitload due to sheer opposition.
>>
Hey, /srg/.

Do you guys think that 3 second combat-turns are better than 6 second combat-turns?

I've been wondering about this for a while now. Do any of you use something different?

Reasons for this being that all of my players are min-maxing fucks and have 20+ ini all the time, so it's kinda hard to have cinematics in 3 seconds.
>>
File: Doubt.jpg (144KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Doubt.jpg
144KB, 1440x1080px
>>52311432
>My runner has a safe job
>running
>safe job
>>
File: Education Meets Metatype Limits.jpg (138KB, 900x635px) Image search: [Google]
Education Meets Metatype Limits.jpg
138KB, 900x635px
>>52316326
>Any advice on how a university mixes with the corporate extraterritoriality?

Texas A&M is in the Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America, if there's any overlap there or ideas you want to pinch for UT. In general, universities are a lot like universities today, but more blatant in their recruitment. Rich sponsors buy chairs and build structures on campus for their own prestige. Companies headhunt the best and brightest, including paying off professors and clerks to tip them off and give them an edge. Private or public, the distinction is more or less arbitrary these days.
>>
>>52324438
I think he means that he has a safe job and if running on the side
>>
>>52307936

A little off topic, but one of my favorite characters I've seen come out of Shadowrun was a 40 year old guy who had a permanent medium lifestyle at the start of the game. I wondered why, and he said that his character, from 18 to 40, worked for Ares with Day Job (40Hr) and banked away enough cash to live comfortably for the rest of his life, and now he just wants to have some fun. He retired from Ares to become a Shadowrunner. It was an awesome character, in all honesty.
>>
File: Guard.gif (82KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Guard.gif
82KB, 600x450px
>>52325463
>works 22 years, 40 hours a week
>paid enough to live middle-class for the rest of his life

You can't even do that in real life, let alone in a world where 'wageslave' is a literal description for people working for corporations
>>
>>52325628
I think that being a mage had something to do with it IIRC, because his character had something like 550k at chargen. Dude was relatively rich, banked and invested, paid of debts, etc, and after being a wagecuck for more than half of his life, broke bad and went Shadowrunner.

Real life aside, in game he did it, so I don't see why not.
>>
>>52325669
Did he at least have a full Corp SIN?
>>
>>52325732
I think so.

By the way, just doing quick math on this, if he worked the 40 hour day job, as per rules from Run Faster, the guy would have a total net wealth of about 1.3 million nuyen from his job alone, so I could totally see this happening.
>>
>>52313649
He can only get up to 3x the weapons BASE AP, so -9.
>>
File: 1442435291566.jpg (49KB, 728x409px) Image search: [Google]
1442435291566.jpg
49KB, 728x409px
>>52325774
Using RF, working a Day job at 40 hours a week gets you 5k¥ a month. 22 years of work nets you 1,320,000¥.

Assuming barebones taxes (20% of gross) leaves him with 1,056,000 nuyen. Million nuyen in the bank. Sounds totally plausible, right?

Here's the kicker: Middle Lifestyle is 5,000 a month. 5000x12= 60,000¥
a year.

For 22 years, that's 1,320,000¥

Working the max that you can using RF rules, you are just making exactly enough to pay barebones rent for a middle lifestyle. Absolutely no luxuries, no car, no medical care, absolutely nothing else. Not even enough money to pay your taxes.

I'm not opposed to the concept of 'guy who works and saves and leaves the rat race to live his dream as a freelance terrorist', but it's entirely implausible to say that it's something you can do for a few years ('half his life' maybe, but he's still leaving when he's relatively young, decades before anyone else retires) working a 40 hour week. And there's going to be no investments that pay off that well in that short a timeframe, unless he went into his meetings with his banker with a couple hundred thousand nuyen off the top for some high-risk high-yield pseudo-legal shenanigans.

Again, 'wageslave' is not a euphemism. It's that people are trapped in their jobs, with just enough money to live on but not enough to try and make something more of themselves.
>>
So...KE HTR vs Firewatch vs Navy Seals vs Red Samurai vs Tir Ghosts...who comes out on top?

Also is there any reason to not go magical dude unless you're a rigger? Shit even deckers have their own magical equivalent in technomancers now.
>>
File: It Depends.jpg (34KB, 425x340px) Image search: [Google]
It Depends.jpg
34KB, 425x340px
>>52327469
>who comes out on top?

Pic related. You're putting SWAT teams, recon soldiers specializing in asymmetrical warfare, and elite bodyguards in the same pile.

And you don't go magic if you want cool cyberware, and you don't want to worry about background counts. Also adepts and streetsams play entirely differently.
>>
>>52327541
Your pic's part of why I asked that. Liven up the threads a little. But we can put together some info like for example we know how Red Samurai are organized and we also know they really can't into stealth unlike the Ghosts, etc.

>cool cyberware
Magic really seems do things better than cyberware/bioware though. Outside maybe stuff like how you can hide shit in your own cyberware, cyberware detection makes it obsolete. Unless it's a mission that asks to specifically go loud and hard, adept w/ silenced machine pistol will always be better for the usual shadowrun that's trying to be more discreet.
>>
>>52327731
It comes down to something beyond just "what gives me the biggest dice pool"
>cool cyberware
The operative word being cool.
>>
>>52327731
>cyberware detection makes it obsolete
Stop thinking this.

P362 SR5
Millimeter wave detection systems, also known as
cyberware scanners, process video taken in the millimeter
wave spectrum to identify the energy signature of
cyberware and concealed items (specifically weapons)
on a person. These devices can “see through” thick layers
of clothing and other concealment to identify items
from a distance of fifteen meters away. To determine if
the detector scans cyberware or a prohibited item, roll
the Device Rating and compare the hits scored to the
thresholds given on the Cyberware Scanner Table. Millimeter
wave scans can detect any non-biological item by
its shape and composition, assuming the item is listed
in the device’s database. If the threshold is reached, the
scanner detects the item/implant and notes its general
locations and type; additional hits provide more detail
(function, model, grade, etc.).

CYBERWARE SCANNER TABLE
ITEM THRESHOLD
Standard cyberware, weapons 1
Alphaware, other items 2
Betaware 3
Deltaware 5+
SITUATION MODIFIER
2 or more implants/items +1
4 or more implants/items +2
6+ implants/items +3

You can get a topping out at I believe R8 Cyberware scanner, which will average 2.7 hits on your alphaware arms, enough to tell you that the scanner that you've got two cyberarms and nothing about them. Have full-body alphaware + some bodyware and you're looking at a threshold 5 to detect all your cyberware at once. Until you get spare hits on that base to detect its existence, then you can start asking questions about function/model/grade of it.

IIRC there was also a bit in Chrome Flesh saying that secure facilities/flights require you to turn off your cyberware as default because its function is rarely readily apparent.
>>
File: david bowie B&W.jpg (26KB, 283x396px) Image search: [Google]
david bowie B&W.jpg
26KB, 283x396px
>go to bar to meet a client for a run
>find out it's karokee night at the bar
>proceed to use Voice Control to do antique songs for fun and profit while the rest of the crew join in on instruments
>this ain't rock and roll this is genocide
>start a riot from how good we tear down the house
>forget all about our client and sign up for a multi-million nuyen record deal instead

Best campaign ever
>>
>>52328003
The situation modifier is a dice pool modifier, not a threshold modifier. The more cybernetcis you have, the easier it becomes for the scanner to pick up some parts of your body aren't meat and bones anymore.

On the other hand, the more implants and customisations, the more chance those extra hits reveal something else than the implanted weapon you don't want 'em to find.
>>
>>52326023
Money from dayjob is already taxed if you have a SIN.

I always thought the quality was a bit odd, given that it regularly describs people working 10-14 hour days as 'normal'.
>>
>>52327469
Ghosts are at the top of the pile. KE HTR, Samurai are at the bottom. Firewatch and Seals vary. They all do different things, but I think the Samurai are only PR 5, for fucks sakes. Stat wise, ghosts are usually scarier than everything else.
>>
File: 1470086246074.jpg (44KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
1470086246074.jpg
44KB, 500x393px
>>52326023
>>52328312

I do feel like the income for dayjob needs to be tuned down, or the number of hours worked needs to be tuned up at each tier.
>>
>>52327907
Oh yeah for sure. But I was thinking more mechanically.

>>52328003
The other response is kinda what I thought about how the rolls go. And not to mention that bioware would be more costly but makes this easier to go through, yet adept stuff isn't even that costly and doesn't have to take the risk at all.

>>52328347
Any specific sources of knowing their PRs and stats? I have been looking for those kind of numbers.
>>
>>52328467
Well, most of the corebooks have a section on it, as do many other adventure books. Try page 381 of 5e.
>>
>>52328529
Oh yeah, shit I didn't notice that Red Samurai are literally namedropped in the PR5 description. But those are still just sample stats though, no? Idk I guess SR is just more open ended with this than something like DnD with their various monster manuals.
>>
>>52328745
You'll need to dig through 4e and 3e for specific stats rather than broadstrokes guidelines with namedrops.
>>
File: 4a2157f37160d0018fafe29c32abfeac.jpg (107KB, 722x1107px) Image search: [Google]
4a2157f37160d0018fafe29c32abfeac.jpg
107KB, 722x1107px
>>52328467
Well yeah, mechanically magic is almost always better right now (barring technomancers).
>>
>>52329349
Just use 4e BC and Object Resistance Rules and that should go down a bit
>>
>>52328467
Availaibility rules is what really gets me on 'ware.

>Adept
>Can just take power points and get whatever ware-equivalent he wants

>Ware
>Your torso will be 32R, sir
>Good luck :^)
>>
>>52329403
Too much background count and adepts get royally shit on compared to magicians, though.
>>
>>52329449
yeah, but they both get shafted
hope you enjoy your lower MAG, chummer

just make it that for adepts all background counts are halved, fluff it as them being less dependent on ambient mana and thus less affected by too much/not enough of it
This is also good advice for 5e BC
>>
>>52329448
The problem is, awakened do have an availability factor, it just has no mechanics. Honestly, it would make sense to have them make some sort of availability test to find a teacher or source material.
>>
>>52329943
Couldn't you just raise the Avail. of the spell formulae? Since you need those anyway an increase should be hard to avoid
>>
NEW THREAD:
>>52330281
>>52330281
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.