[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 52

File: bgg.jpg (828KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
828KB, 1000x1000px
Last thread
>>52216788

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Slept late no BGG, this is unacceptable. Whatcha playing? What's in the mail? Anything you saw in the news from GAMA last week that's got your attention?
>>
≥newb questions
Me me me! I post upside down last night on Earth pics.

Played one match of Elysium last night and probably came in third or last but I don't know because my friend pulled my board dumping my victory points into the banks. He knew I didn't win anyway so it didn't matter. I stole three of his victory points though and he missed first place, by one freaking point. I put on my slightly smug grin when I realized that I cost him the game. He regularly stomps my ass as the zombie player in lnoe.
>feels good bro
I have some newb qs, some just bgg related generic stuff, like I'm sure most of y'all prefer if we post pics it's actual bgg related pics, right? Any filler pics allowed? I've seen tons of bggs that never reach their image limit. Is it ok to post filler pics, sometimes?
>>
File: bgg wars.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bgg wars.png
1MB, 800x800px
>>52273079
>filler pics
I'm pretty sure I've only seen /bgg/ hit the image limit once in the 4-5 years I've been posting in it, and that was during pic related spam week. We tend to be a pretty relaxed general, so the only major complaints you'll see are
>shilling
>stop reposting this story
>that rec image is old and sucks
>your taste is awful/not a game

Long as you don't go too far afield with your posts you're fine, most of us are gamers period, not just board, but vidya/rpg too.
>>
Played Twilight Imperium for the second time this weekend, though the first time was a complete shit show. 5 players, took about 9 hours on top of rules explanation, lunch and a practice round. I won as the nekro virus in 8 rounds though I could've won in 7 if I hadnt forgotten to steal tech when I destroyed enemy units as defender.
It was such a blast I could've easily played again the next day! A trashy, unbalanced and bloated game like TI3 has no right being so much fun.
>>
>>52272949
I've got Epic, Jaipur, and some more ships for x-wing coming in the mail. I'm pretty excited for all of them
>>
I know I should kys myself for posting kickstarter links but I really liked empires of the void (though it was flawed) and this looks like it fixes the "bugs", adds interaction and other good stuff. What do you think friends?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the-void-ii
>>
File: 45668.jpg (6MB, 3796x2000px) Image search: [Google]
45668.jpg
6MB, 3796x2000px
>tfw there is no proper Godzilla fighting game with awesome minis

Instead we get that GKR garbage. Feels bad man.
>>
>>52273493
I keep looking at this one too Anon. I've got Empires of the Void though I haven't had a chance to play it more than once. My issue is I've already got a couple of KS going and I try not to do to many at once.
>>
>>52273522
Not with minis, but I still feel like Rampage fills this need in my collection.
>>
File: monsterpocalypse.png (1MB, 937x688px) Image search: [Google]
monsterpocalypse.png
1MB, 937x688px
>>52273522
We did. Though it's not a board game. Called Monsterpocalypse and Privateer Press shit on it and killed it. Only horrible part about the game was having randomized boosters.
>>
>>52273522
If anyone did lisence a Godzilla game proper it'd probably be even worse than GKR.
>>
>>52274720
Why?
>>
>>52274902
Because
A. Most licensed games, especially ameritrashy ones with big minis, are shit.
And
B. GKR probably isn't as bad as you think.
>>
>>52274929
Obvisouly in my mind the Godzilla game we'd get would be great. Why would I fantasize about a shitty Godzilla game?
I disagree on B. It may not be the worst game ever but I watched a bunch of videos and whoever pays 100 dollars for that is a moron in my eyes. Unless you really, really want those mechs. But as a agame it seems as dull as can be. Just a beautiful facade on a crappy foundation.
>>
>>52275011
People have been being really vague with their complaints about GKR, honestly. I don't see anything wrong or stupid about the power management, the movement, the building tagging, the cardplay, or the cards being used as your life total.
Is it just the dice combat that's dragging the whole thing down for you? It doesn't seem that bad, the baseline attack is a a hit 83.33% of the time, and there's more than a few ways to make even that easier. And the hardest shot possible in the game is still a 42%, only a little worse than a coin flip, but enough worse than baseline to still make it worthwhile to maneuver so you have cover and the other guy doesn't.
haven't decided to back it, just think it bears more discussion than LOL DICE INTO THE TRASH
>>
>Whatcha playing?
Got a few rounds of BANG! The Dice Game last Saturday with some friends who'd never played it before; they got it pretty quickly, which is a miracle considering I'm awful at explaining rules. There was other stuff, but one of them was tired so games night turned into film night.
>What's in the mail?
Nothing game-related, although I am thinking of ordering some brown counters so I can keep score with my copy of Poo: The Card Game.
>Anything you saw in the news from GAMA last week that's got your attention?
I don't even know what that is. Now, if it was news from GAMERA...
>>
File: aichanhype.jpg (236KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
aichanhype.jpg
236KB, 1280x720px
>bought online bf hanabi and carcasonne to play with his mum for his birthday

Gonna go see him and try take up some more games maybe soon...
>>
>>52275634
In general I have no problem with dice whatsoever. I mean I backed Mythic Battles so I'd be a hypocrite if I shat on GKR for that. The thing is that the more a game costs the more depth and finesse I expect from its mechanics. MB also deals in dice when it comes to combat, but it's still very different imo not only because they aren't standard d6. You can gain or lose strength (adding/removing dice), you can manipulate the result, you have different kinds of terrain, you have different kinds of units and tons of 'em, you have a draft phase where you can counterpick, you have hand management and have to consider which power of which creature you want to use at which point, if you want to keep a certain unit's card in your hand so it can retaliate if it gets attacked, etc. It's feels like it has much, much more meat on its bones compared to GKR. For the same money.
In GKR you roll two d6 to check for hit, then the other player also rolls two d6 for defense and that's the entire combat. If the game was 50-60 dollars I could spare the money, but for a hundred bucks it just doesn't offer enough. At least in my opinion. I'm sure many people will love the gameplay and the cool mechs will surely contribute to the immersive feel of the game. It's just that I'm not a huge fan of how it resolves combat.
>>
I'm looking for more two-player games. How is Memoir '44?
>>
>>52276067
MB does get you a lot more plastic and unit options, that's certainly fair.
I don't think the combat resolution is any more intricate, though. The discarding dice to boost remaining dice doesn't actually add any decisions to the process as far as I can tell, but I could be wrong. It looks like you just roll, discard what can't hit to boost what might hit, and hope the exploding dice come up good.
>>
Is zombiecide good? I bought Rue Morgue for 37 bucks used and it had a custom organizer made of nice posterboard and everything. Great deal, but I mostly bought it to use the minis in a zombie RPG i plan to run. However I have read the rules and the game looks really good (I got it 50% for the minis 50% for the actual game, because I enjoyed zombies!!!).

Any tips? I hate the way the rules were organized, I prefer breadth-first rules coverage rather than depth-first but that's just me. I think I understand how to play, it looks decent.
>>
Can you fellas recommend some filler games for 2-4 players? Im torn between

>King is Dead
>Small Star Empires
>8 minute empires legends
>>
>>52273283
Twilight Imperium
>Took under 9 hours, was fun.
Interesting - this directly conflicts with most of the reviews I've read from people that actually seem to play these games.

>>52274358
>Monsterpocalypse
I remember seeing that and being mildly interested.
How did PP kill it?

>>52276055
Boardgame waifu best waifu.
Mine got me the Predator Legendary Encounters game for my birthday.
Feels a lot easier than the Alien version we played previously, but that might just be the difference between two semi-experienced players and five barely-experienced players.

>>52276140
No idea, but Odin's Ravens is quick and simple but very enjoyable, and I really like Haru Ichiban.
>>
>>52276592
PP shot for a movie deal and the like for it. Shortly afterwards they just shelved the game.
>>
>>52276306
Iirc you can boost before or after the explosion roll takes place. Say you roll a 6, couple of 5s, and some lower numbers. You have the choice use the lower dice to bump up the 5s to make them explode, or save them to ensure the 6 hits.
>>
>>52276140
I second that question.

I'm looking for some 2p games as well (can be just for two or at least very well scaled for two as mostly I've got only my gf to play).
No purely abstract not dominion please.

We enjoy neuroshima hex and carcassonne. We've also got smallworld but despite the fact mechanics scale well for two, the game itself is pretty boring with less people.

My next bet would be:

- War of the ring - we would enjoy the theme a lot and could be nice to play something more complex although the game time (3-4h?) may be a killer.

- Battle of five armies - Same as previous but shorter - kinda my favourite for now.

- Battlelore / Memoir - I really wanted to get these but then I played few rounds of GoT remake and I think I expected too much from that system before playing it. Maybe it's just this version that didn't fit my taste.

Looks like I'm shifting towards miniatures but these three just look like a solid choices with great accessories AND replayability.
What else could I go for /tg?
>>
>>52276405
Been years since I played it, but there were definitely some fiddly/dumb rules I remember vaguely (hitting your teammates when firing into a space with them and zombies?). From what I understand even people who are meh on the series say Black Plague was a good rules/setting overhaul that makes it a solid game. That said part of me loves SDE 1.0 even though I know it's got serious flaws.

>>52276742
>GoT:Westeros
This was without question the worst thing ever, and isn't really a good representation of Commands & Colors system. They changed so much from the original system and it's not intuitive to C&C/Memoir/Battlelore players. There's almost too much going on for it to be decent, since the whole point of that system is to be a nice light game.
>>
>>52276669
Results are 0-5, no 6's.
Order of operations appears to be:
>Roll
>Discard Blanks
>Discard Boosts
>Declare Which 5's to Reroll
>Reroll 5's
>Discard new Blanks
>Discard Boosts
>Declare Which 10's to reroll
>Reroll 10's
>Discard 0's
>Discard Boosts
>Check Results Against Target Defense

This does actually mean there's some risk evaluation choices to be made under some circumstances, but never if the target's defense is five or lower, if you only need to land a single wound, or some other corner cases.
Still, better than I thought.
>>
File: DarkSou;s.jpg (226KB, 1000x587px) Image search: [Google]
DarkSou;s.jpg
226KB, 1000x587px
Anybody looking forward to this?
>>
>>52277179
There was a breif shitstorm when it was first announced about the game mechanics being super busted, and then nothing. But I've heard they revamped it to be at least a little less shit.
>>
File: the wife's recs v6.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs v6.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>52276957
On the broader topic of 2p, there is SO MUCH out there that's good, that it's hard to get it into one post. Pic related started out as gf recs based off /bgg/ and my own experience, but more or less every game on it is one I still enjoy, and the wife does too even being a pretty solid gamer these days. Things that aren't listed but are also wonderful

>GIPF series
They're all wonderfully designed abstracts, simple to teach, good depth, and despite the fact they're not over the top produced design, they are gorgeous to look at. LYNGK is coming soon, and looks to continue the excellence, but YINSH is usually the one I recommend first.
>KOSMOS 2P Lineup
I dunno where to start on how awesome these are, except Tom Vasel just did a quick top 10 in the last month, watch it, I don't like his order but they're all great that he lists.
>War of the Ring/5 Armies
These feel so much like the stories it's not even funny, though the system does take a little while to grok, and it's not as streamlined as I'd like. They are brutal and very tough to win (as fellowship in War and Goblins in 5 Armies especially) but if you're a turbonerd, well worth trying.
>Rebellion
Same exact notes, it's Star Wars original trilogy in a box, and lived up to the hype for me. It's a bit halting when you go from command phases to combat, and it's pure ameritrash so it can be a bit rough on new gamers but fantastic.
>other stuff
I still love most of the games Days of Wonder produces, and while they're not all great at 2, most are at the very least good, and wonderful to have for when you have 3-5 sitting around the table. Also co-ops, people always think of co-ops as group, but I find them more fun with 1-2p, since you don't have a lot of shouting and they're easy to find in every difficulty, and thematic flavor out there.
>>
File: IMAG0411.jpg (434KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0411.jpg
434KB, 1344x760px
Played Eldritch Horror, Hanabi, and Arboretum this weekend. Nothing in the mail right now, but another Eldritch Horror expansion is next on my buy list. It's a real hit with the grillfiend, and it's very nice to play a long form game with lots of storytelling with just two people.

Arboretum is fun but I honestly don't know if I'm playing right or not. There is a lot of shitting going on in such a simple game.
>>
File: inis.jpg (66KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
inis.jpg
66KB, 500x432px
People who have played Inis, what is y'all opinion on it? I'm debating between Inis and Scythe, and don't know which one to get. I like the aesthetic of each game, and I'm thinking that Inis might be better for my group based on shorter game time and the tendency of them to get drunk while playing games.
>>
Just played The Others 7 Sins as the Sin and loved it, are my taste shit and what expansions are the best to get?
>>
>>52277976
Go get Scythe
Inis is quite frankly a fotm borefest that can't even get the visual appeal right.
>>
How do I pre-order Kingdom Death.

Can I even pre-order Kingdom Death.
>>
>>52278225
eBay.com
>>
>>52277219
There has been a lot of things fixed up about it and rulebook-wise it's actually pretty solid. The problem comes in execution. It is WAY TOO FUCKIN LONG. Apparently each individual boss (of which 3 bosses make up a campaign) is 3 hours to get through. That's 3 hours from first tile to killing the first boss. That and the burning from both ends health/stamina system drives me mad. There's nothing thematic or fun looking about it.
>>
>>52272949
>Whatcha playing?
Played Seafall, nearing the end but we've kinda known for a long time who was going to win. It's obnoxious that the guy who invested in research has such a ridiculous advantage. Now he has all but 1 of the veteran stats, he wins every other game by discovering an island which is worth an absurd amount of points, and all the remaining milestones are in his favor. I get to do fun stuff as the raid master and even now that he out ranks me in raw raid, I have the ability to take back all enmity at the end of the game.

Once it's done, I get to convince my friends to play other games. Dying to get Millennium Blades to the table again. Also played some rounds of Santorini to wind down afterwards. Someone finally drew Hectate. She's definitely one of the most fun gods in the deck.
>>
>>52277976
Inis is a puzzle solving game where you have to find a way to accomplish something meaningful with whatever cards you got that round. Scythe is an engine building/economy optimization game where the threat of combat means you can't just willy-nilly build around the board without consequences.
>>
>>52278898
If you don't think losing stamina means you're closer to death is not thematic then you haven't played dark souls.
>>
>>52279791
*is thematic
>>
Got Millennium Blades Set Rotation on the way
Also flirting with the idea of buying something in the Battlecon family, what's the best version to get ?
>>
>>52279791
Counter point, if you run out of stamina you're probably bad at dark souls because of the stamina boosting gear+zero armour fast rolls is the best and easiest way to play the game.
>>
>>52280609
Either War for cheapness or Devastation for content
>>
>>52280609
I'd have to second what >>52281063 said. Though I personally would lean towards Devastation because of sheer content. Also has some of my favorite fighters
>>
File: dynasty invasion.jpg (319KB, 638x1160px) Image search: [Google]
dynasty invasion.jpg
319KB, 638x1160px
Thoughts on the Rising Sun expansion?

Anyone got some valid reasons to not back the game? I think I'm losing my strong will. It becomes harder and harder to resist.
>>
>>52279791
I don't think being low on hp meaning I can't do any actions that turn sounds dark souls then you don't remember dark souls very well. Tie it to your defense, don't tie your life to your actions per turn.
>>
>>52281826
>Anyone got some valid reasons to not back the game?
Already got Bloodrage, don't need the weeb knockoff.
>>
>>52280609
On the topic of level 99 games, can anyone tel me a little about the Pixel Tactics games? I've considered getting them but are they enjoyable to play? How much staying power do they have? Are there flaws with the game mechanically? Is there one that you'd recommend over the others?
>>
>>52282416
I've also eyed that game from time to time, would also be interested to hear any anon thoughts on it.
>>
>>52277306
Are there any other "recommendations based on x" pictures like this?
>>
>>52280899
>implying doing challenging runs without that gear means someone is bad at the game
git gud
>>
>>52282416
>>52282848
It (only one version in Germany) is enjoyable to play and it would have quite some staying power thanks to its depth, if I had anyone with whom to regularly play two-player games.
As it stands, I only get to play it very occasionally with complete newbies, which is rather iffy, because the game's strategy is rather opaque when you're just starting out.
>>
>>52281826
>falling for the kickstarter meme
>giving money to jews for their overpriced plastic

Good goyim *rubs hands* buy it before the copies run out *slips shekels into coin purse* I promise this isn't cult of the new *posts 10 more stretch goals*
>>
>>52283784
>Challenging
Dark souls is literally a game of running past stuff and avoiding everything when you get gud, which incidentally makes it easier.

Scrublord.
>>
File: bonedweare.png (176KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
bonedweare.png
176KB, 550x512px
>>52284350
>trying this hard to come off as an edgelord about video games in a thread about board games
this guy's faggotry aside, anyone here have an opinion on what I should play tomorrow? Will either be cry havoc for the first time, age of steam for the second time, or lords of water deep for the first time
>>
>>52281826
got any valid reasons to buy it other than the models?
>>
>>52284604
No that guy, but I backed it because I really enjoy Blood Rage and love the idea of a similar game introducing a diplomacy mechanic and a little more depth.
>>
>>52284587
>edgelord
>for telling you the game you struggled with isn't actually as hard as you made it out to be.
You may be retarded.
>>
>>52284587
He's far from wrong. The edgelord would be telling you to best all enemies, perfect parries, fists only, final destination. He's just telling you the simple fact that "getting gud" actually means running and dodging everything non essential.
>>
File: MAXIMUM_WEWLAD.jpg (72KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM_WEWLAD.jpg
72KB, 300x300px
>>52284628
>he just can't stop sperging
>>
>>52284705
But anon, you're the one sperging and posting meme reaction images?
>>
>>52284615
>really enjoy blood rage
>love the idea of introducing a diplomacy mechanic
we have basically nothing in common, but do you anon
>>
>>52284710
>no you
holy fuck I'm not even the guy you're arguing with but you just look dumber with each post, cut it out

back to board games: anyone here play new angeles? how was it? the whole "only have to beat one other player" thing sounds weird, how does it feel in practice?
>>
>>52284722
It's ok anon. We can play something else if you ever come to my game night.
>>
>>52284751
Calm down.
>>
>>52284793
>still refuses to talk about board games in the board game thread
whats your favorite game, anon? what game do you think you have played the most?
>>
>>52284808
Chill out buddy.
>>
>>52284816
>still refuses to talk about board games in the board game thread
do you log your plays, anon? do you use bgg or another site, or do you actually write it down somewhere? why do you or why do you not log your plays?
>>
>>52284828
Pace yourself.
>>
File: 81boELWAIhL._SL1200_[1].jpg (381KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
81boELWAIhL._SL1200_[1].jpg
381KB, 1200x800px
Does anyone enjoy Xia: Legends of a Drift System? I can easily get past the pretty minimal interaction, but the one thing that sounds like it would bug me is roll and move. It sounds like there's a way to compensate for bad rolls, but it still sounds infuriating upgrading engine and still possibly rolling 1s.
>>
>>52284841
>still refuses to be a productive member of the board
who's your favorite board game reviewer? do you like them because you have similar tastes or just because you find them entertaining?
>>
>>52284847
The ks xpac actually looks like it'll fix a lot of the stuff that people found wrong with it. Roll to move isn't to bad of a problem.
>>
>>52284847
it has the same problem as twilight imperium, that being that you get to do all this cool building and planning but it's all for nothing if you can't roll well. i can enjoy these games if i go into them thinking of them as an experience meant to be enjoyed rather than a competitive endeavor.
>>
>>52284751
sorry, haven't played
>>52284808
my favorite game is kemet. love the player created asymmetry and diceless combat. i think I've played splendor more than any other game
>>52284828
i log plays on bgg. mostly just because why not and i like to see how many games I've played and in what time period, etc. I'm not super anal about it or anything though and some of my play counts are estimates
>>
>>52284854
my favorite reviewer is vasel because i think he does a good enough job of making clear what parts of his reviews are his personal opinions
>>
i saw a game once that was cards with pictures of units and their stats on them that was basically a card based version of warhammer fantasy. anyone know the name?
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
>>52276405
Zombiecide has tons of quarterbacking. No player agency when everyone figured out your best move for you long before your turn comes up. You're basically a die chucking robot. It looks great and it's level up system is decently designed but I think lnoe is tons better in every way

Anyone play this yet? It looks like it could be awesome.
>>
>>52284751
Haven't played New Angeles either, but a friend suggested sharing the purchase with two others, so I'm excited that's coming soon. In theory needing only to beat a single other person means that you have more freedom to negotiate stuff; where in other games you have to worry about all the other players, and eventually relent against one or two players because you just can block everyone, here you can just go after your target corp and offer beneficial stuff to the others for their co-operation. Plus the possibility for all but one player to win the game is pretty neat.
>>
>>52281826

If you kickstart a board game you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>52285011
true, it is an interesting take on semi-cooperative
>>
>>52284587

Lords of Waterdeep, you will have a gay old time with 4 players.
>>
Anybody backin thunderstone quest?

Not tryna shil or whatever just sayin theres 3 days left in case anybody wants to get in on it.

And for those of you who are already backers, im curious how you feel about the coop/solo thing. I personally didn't care for it at first but now im thinkin that'd be cool, why not.

I was so stoked about the whole yellow meeple thing lol sure it was kinda cheesy, but i thought it was so funny and i was super happy to see the "yellow knight" stretch goal.
>>
>>52277179
I want it to be good. So we'll see.
>>
>>52284865
>>52284869
Alright thanks! I can love a good ameritrash, just movement is the one thing I'm always worried about leaving to dice. Hearing the expansion is going to refine the game is a nice thing to look forward to, help cut out the cheese strats.
>>
>>52277976
>I'm debating between Inis and Scythe, and don't know which one to get.
Neither. Wait two or three years for the hype to die down. Meanwhile get two-three year old games today.
>>
>>52281826
> Needing an expansion for a game that's not even released yet.
Are you OK? See a therapist.
>>
>>52281826
That's pretty fuckin expensive. I paid only $5 more for Blood Rage.
>>
>>52272949
>Watcha playing
Played a few games of splendor and some hunters of arcfall tonight, kept it nice and light
>>
Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but do you guys have any guides on making a high quality board for a game? Currently want to give a custom board game during a family celebration, and most retail places I've found expect you to buy more than 500 units in a sitting. Since I only need at the most 50 units I concluded that maybe I can sit down and make them myself.

However most of the online resources I find are to make paper or very low quality boards just to pass the time. I want to make this a decent, usable gift.
>>
>>52272949
>Whatcha playing?
played netrunner with my brother yesterday
been playing istanbul and race for the galaxy a lot lately. both are great fun.
>What's in the mail?
Assault on doomrock arriving on wednesday. it's the kickstarter version with all stretch goals as well as the expansion, all in shrink. super excited.
Aslo got 7 wonders duel coming in sometime. not sure when though.
>>52285085
not sure if this counts but i also backstarted thunderstone quest so i guess that eventually, although it'll probably be like a year.
to answer anon, yes i do care about the coop, solo not so much.
>Anything you saw in the news from GAMA last week that's got your attention?
didn't check out any news on that
>>
Is Star Wars rebellion good?
>>
>>52285942
its good. the combat is mediocre but if you enjoy star wars you'll really like the game. its really thematic and the asymmetry is done in a very interesting way
>>
>>52281826
>Anyone got some valid reasons to not back the game

New stuff has to validate its existence. NYT bestsellers don't stay bestsellers for long. Don't buy into new shit, wait a while and if it passes the test of time buy it.
>>
File: war.jpg (92KB, 750x279px) Image search: [Google]
war.jpg
92KB, 750x279px
Which one /tg?

Favors of one over another except the obvious gameplay time difference.
>>
>>52277885
Eldritch horror is well scaled for just two? I know you just said that but doesn't it require at least 3 people, so playing with less you need to artificially do some actions?
>>
>>52286336
Fighting to save/destroy Middle Earth > Fighting a battle.
>>
>>52284995
battleground fantasy warfare
>>
File: 20170321_192731.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170321_192731.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
new games arrived today lads
>>
File: 20170321_194340.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170321_194340.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>52286415
also
>paid $70 new in 2013
>$150 used (in the less than stellar condition my copy is in anyway) or $220 new now
>demand has been there for a second print since 2014
>cambridge games factory is completely silent
>>
I managed to buy a copy of Gloomhaven, cannot wait to play at the weekend when I pick it up. Then I'm going to solo the hell outta it
>>
I'm looking to get Elk Fest, and in this situation i'm realizing that i really really admire what this game is broadly speaking.
For those of you who don't know the game, it's a small quick 2 player dexterity game.
Wondering if there are any suggestions for other dexterity games that aren't too intricate or complicated or big. thanks in advance!
>>
File: 76576.jpg (42KB, 435x281px) Image search: [Google]
76576.jpg
42KB, 435x281px
Kickstarter is a blessing and a curse. Still thinking about going all in on Rising Sun...
>>
>>52287426
at least it's more reliable than videogame kickstarters
I mean the quality control just isn't there but at least you end up getting the physical product 9 times out of 10
>>
>>52286350
Not the guy you replied to, but I also play with just two people. How I do it is each person gets to control 2 characters, it works well enough and is probably my most played '2-player' game.
>>
>>52287426
>almost $500 dollars
I really hope you enjoy that game anon, I sincerely do.
>>
>>52287850
Plus $50 shipping.

So do I pal. So do I. Everything I've seen and read about it makes me love it so I'm very optimistic but you never know...

I'm just glad I have no kids. Makes spending that kind of money not that much of a taboo.
>>
>>52287850
And I thought my $300 for StarCraft + BroodWar board game was a fucking lot
>>
>>52287966
> $550 buckaroos
For that money you can get 20 real boardgames.
>>
>>52287741
And does this apply only to Eldritch or Arkham as well?
If both, I should go for the newer I guess?
>>
>>52287977
or Kingdom Death, which is better than any other KS game and made by /ourguys/
>>
File: Capture1.jpg (42KB, 470x258px) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.jpg
42KB, 470x258px
>>52287426
>Kickstarter is a blessing and a curse.

I try not to have more than 3 or 4 max...
>>
>>52288001
I don't know about Arckham as I've never played it. I've read Arckham is much more heavy to the point where it becomes a bit tedious to play, which is what lead me to pick up EH instead.
Also apparently Arckham gets really bogged down with more expansions. Hopefully someone who owns the game can chime in and add their experience.
>>
File: reco.png (2MB, 2016x899px) Image search: [Google]
reco.png
2MB, 2016x899px
>>52283779
There's a few, the earliest ones are rather dated by now (pic related), the 2p one was one I did last march and just updated 2-3 weeks ago. We had so many people asking after gfs I got tired of reposting the same pasta each time. Also somewhat working on a kids 5-10 one, but if there ends up being a topic that comes up regularly I might make one for that too.

>>52286448
>cambridge games factory
Silent because the guy folded to bankruptcy, but he still owns the copyright not Chudyk, otherwise you'd see it in the Asmadi catalog. If you're willing to take some time with photoshop, the proofs from the black box kickstarter are still on BGG, people have taken the time/energy to copy/paste/redraw those and print their own. Or get scans of one of the white box/I.V version (there's scans of the Italian out there I think) and then photoshop the proper words onto it.
>>
>>52280609
>>52281826
Do people seriously do this? But expansions before they even play the game?
>>
>>52289033
why did you quote me I own M. Blades already
tard
>>
>>52289033
>Do people seriously do this? But expansions before they even play the game?
Lots of people don't actually play games, they just collect them. I'm pretty sure that the median game among plebbit's /r/boardgames is played zero times.
>>
>>52289087
And you claim that based on what?
>>
File: casuals.png (8KB, 629x75px) Image search: [Google]
casuals.png
8KB, 629x75px
>>52287426
>>52287976
>>52288371

Casuals.
>>
>>52289138
On my extensive, peer-reviewed academic studies of faggots like you and your mom.
>>
>>52289033
>Do people seriously do this? But expansions before they even play the game?
They do it for /v/ games all the time, I don't see why people who are quick to part with their money would act any different for board games.
>>
>>52287977
Real board games have curves
>>52289033
Depends on the game, bought StarCraft with the expansion as well CitOW. Read a lot of reviews and read the instruction manuals before buying though.

Hard for StarCraft because I couldn't find any playthroughs, happy to say it's my favorite game now.
>>52289165
m8...
>>
>>52289138
He might be talking about faggots like me. There's 2 games I've owned for 6 months and haven't gotten to the table yet. It's a little sad but I fully intend to play them when I have the right group present.
>>
>>52289165
Holy fuck
>>
File: kickstartmyheart.jpg (18KB, 639x113px) Image search: [Google]
kickstartmyheart.jpg
18KB, 639x113px
>>52289165
H-hi...
>>
Has anybody played diplomacy?

>>52289748
Calm down you madman holy shit. You're out of control
>>
>>52288001
>>52286350

Guy you replied to. Yes >>52287741 is basically right, and I've read a lot of people play two player with double investigators. The game actually scales for anywhere between 1 and 8 investigators. There are rules for a single investigator game, but I've never tried them. 2 investigator games are quite playable, but pretty prone to luck. You can only cover so much ground with two investigators, so if clues and mysteries spawn far away from you, it can ruin any chance of winning. 4 investigators is generally considered the most balanced number of players, and it's not hard at all for a person to control 2 investigators at a time.

As for Arkham Horror, I'm in the same boat as >>52288378 . I have not personally played it, so I can't really comment. I have heard it is more bloated than Eldritch Horror, and there is a lot more time making sure things on the board are moving and acting correctly. However, Arkham Horror still seems to have a loyal following even long after EH came out. I have a friend who has played Arkham Horror quite a bit and introduced him to EH. He had a lot of fun, but wasn't sure if EH was better than AH, but more that they were both good in different ways. I would say Eldritch Horror is probably a little more accessible than Arkham Horror, but keep in mind they both end up taking about 4~ hours. People just say that AH can 'drag' more than EH.

Anyone that has played both might be able to give you a better answer.
>>
>>52289262
So what you are saying is you pulled all that straight out of your ass. Glad we cleared that up.
>>
>>52290257
Eh sad truth is that some games don't hit the table as often as they should.

I never played BattleCon because I split with my gf and I don't play 1v1 that much, same reason I don't play Neuroshima: Hex anymore.

Dominant Species only hit the table one time in the last year. I only played Nightfall 3 times (even though I love the game), Sheriff of Nottingham twice as well as Tiny Epic Kingdoms.

Sometimes a game just doesn't hit well with a group so it sits on the shelf.
>>
>>52290420
It is an interesting topic but not quite what was being discussed. Maybe the original topic was a hyperbole, but they were talking about people who buy games to own them rather than play them.

On the topic, what games do you wish you could get to the table more? Fury of Dracula I've gotten once and it was heavier than I was expecting. I usually have a good track record with teaching but that one proved to be more finicky than I hoped. I'm sure it'll come back around, especially come October, but between that and the non flexible 5 player count, it's a tough sell.
>>
>>52284999
I wanted to buy it too, but all copies from their store is sold out. And game have 2 expansions which i cant buy anywhere.
Does anybody know - core game include these expansions or nah?
>>
>>52290643
I know one girl that has like 75+ games, 1/3 of which is still in its foil.

FoD is fine at 2, 5 and 4. 2 and 5 are obvious and at 4 one player gets Mina and some other character to play
>>
>>52290248

I have played both and you hit the nail on the head. The main reason many prefer AH is because its limited scope makes the game feel more "roleplay"-ey, but I feel that the Arkham Horror LCG gives you a much better story-to-gameplay ratio. AH the board game can just get too fiddly.

Also, to touch on expansions: AH never was designed with future expansions in mind. So each time you add an expansion, the game gets diluted, more fiddly, and less enjoyable. However, EH was designed so each expansion can be added to the base game seemlessly with little to no trouble or added complexity. The new sideboards aren't even used unless you're facing specific old ones.
>>
File: My Collection 2017-01-13.png (2MB, 1263x1533px) Image search: [Google]
My Collection 2017-01-13.png
2MB, 1263x1533px
>>52289165
I need more unpainted plastic, metal, and resin about like the Titanic needs more f'ing salt water. It's not that I wouldn't love it, but I already way WAY to much DnD, and 40K shiz, plus pic related...
>>
File: muh wallet.png (17KB, 346x488px) Image search: [Google]
muh wallet.png
17KB, 346x488px
>>52289165
i got an extra rulebook and diceset.
>>
>>52293522
nigga wat
december 2020??
>>
>>52289165
>>52293522
>didn't have all the old content
>buying pinups
lmao
>>
File: pic2738471_md[1].jpg (86KB, 344x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2738471_md[1].jpg
86KB, 344x500px
>>52293591
worth the weight

>>52293611
>missed the old kickstarter by 2 months
>not already having painting miniatures as a hobby
>>
>>52286415
>Splendor
Good choice lad. Let me know how roll is.
>>
Just P500'd Andean Abyss. This is gonna be my first COIN game. Chose AA because the war seems very interesting, though I probably would've preferred A Distant Plain if it was also available for the P500 price. Really excited so I hope the orders fill up soon!
>>
is there anyway of stoppping cards from slightly warping
like its not even a detrement to the game and playing it, it just annoys the piss out of me
>>
File: Card Holders 2.jpg (42KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
Card Holders 2.jpg
42KB, 620x465px
>>52293670
OMG! No wonder that game's so damn expensive. It includes a child.

>>52295095
To answer that we need to know 'why' the cards are warping. It is just from general usage, or are you in a humid environment for example?

With card games, two of the big issues are shuffling and just plain holding a hand of cards. For the former, encourage people not to shuffle your cards using methods that bend them. For the latter, you might try simple card holders - if you have access to wood working tools then you can make a bunch of them very inexpensively if you're so inclined. Sleeving cards will help against general wear, but bent cards is a whole other issue.
>>
>>52294274
Not the anon you were replying to, but my group enjoys Roll a lot. I have the expansion, but we still haven't added it yet as we're having a lot of fun with the base game still.
>>
>>52289882

I've only played Diplomacy once in person, but a few times by email. I've never won, but I got awfully close as Turkey.

I do own a physical copy of the game, but it's a lot easier to find an email game. Also, people negotiate and play better in an email game. Also, it's less tiresome because you aren't taking 6 hours out of a single day to play it -- you're just putting in a little time each week.

If you want to play Diplomacy, do it online.
>>
>>52286350

Eldritch Horror is for 1-8 players and scales well. You can solo it. You'll probably lose, but you can try. You can do it with just 2 investigators no problem, if you choose them well.
>>
>>52290248

Arkham Horror's bloat is no joke.

Going through gates is much more involved, but the gates have specific destinations. You have to flip through the other world encounter deck until you find an applicable card. Entering a gate puts you on the first of two spaces for that particular destination. After your first encounter there, you move to the second space. After that encounter, you move back to Arkham, allowing you to close the gate -- or, if you have enough clues, seal it permanently, so there can never be another gate in the same place. You win the game if you seal six gates, or if there are no open gates and you've closed as many gates as there are investigators.

You also have more location decks (one for each of the city's nine districts), and each one's only like nine cards, so you're supposed to shuffle those decks every time you draw from them. This results in a lot of repetition.

The monsters also move. Each monster has a symbol on it. Each Mythos card sends monsters with one symbol clockwise and monsters with another symbol counter-clockwise. But different types of monsters will have different movement rules too, and the tokens have color-coded borders to indicate special movement rules -- which have to be looked up, rather than being printed on the back of the token.

So you'll face monsters a lot more, since they don't just camp out. The bigger issue is that killing a monster requires you to do enough damage to kill it all in one go -- monsters have no health, and if you don't oneshot them they don't have a scratch on them.

Also, skills: your investigator has six of them, paired on three sliding tracks (Speed/Sneak, Fight/Will, Lore/Luck). You have three sliders, one for track. At the start of a round, you can move your slider to worsen one skill while bolstering the other.

You're constantly moving stuff around and it's a mess, and the only thing that changes between different AOs is the AO itself, so it's the same game every time.
>>
File: My Board Games BGG.png (834KB, 1518x417px) Image search: [Google]
My Board Games BGG.png
834KB, 1518x417px
>>52293270

Jesus man, do you live in a warehouse?
>>
>>52296235
<Looks at shelving units all around>

Uh.... No?

<whistles innocently...>
>>
>>52296049
Jesus Christ. Yeah, I think I will stick with Eldritch Horror. I had no idea the bloat was that bad. I'm sure Arkham Horror does some things better than EH, but I don't know if I can go back to all that in this day and age of board games.
>>
>>52276140
>>52276742
Absolutely love Memoir.
Keep in mind that half the expansions are out of print now and can only be had for stupid prices, but you can get the most important ones like the army packs easily.
>>
>>52293611

I missed the previous Kickstarter and the Satan's Lantern pledge is the most cost effecient way to get all gameplay affecting content. Considering the $1666 pledge is already cheaper than a Black Friday Gambler's Lantern pledge + the add on cost of the 12 existing expansions, the pinups are basically free on top. Fuck me right?
>>
Ordered Carcassonne and 3 new Memoir 44 expansions, gonna have a game night or two next with with my mates. Getting back into board games after a solid 5 years, really excited.

Also gonna buy this when it hits retail.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661420780/la-cosa-nostra
>>
>>52296792

Black Friday Gambler's Lantern 2nd Face (core game, not 1.5 Update Pack), not Black Friday Gambler's Lantern. My bad. Point still stands.
>>
>>52281826
I really like the look of Rising Sun and backed it, but I'm not sure about this. It's very very similar gameplay addition wise to the content of Scythe's Invaders from Afar expansion but asking double the price. Further more, their content doesn't stack. It adds nothing you can use in the base game because the 2 new factions play by their own rules with their own monsters that can't be used by anyone else. An interesting idea but something I don't feel I could introduce to new players for a couple games.
>>
Is star wars rebellion worth picking up? Looks bretty gud.
>>
>>52294274
Roll is great because I can play it with friends who wont play Race on the basis of it being heavier than they're happy with

>>52295661
I'd recommend the house rule of taking 2 home planets and expansions and picking one (even if it only works for 3-4 player games without ambitions/promo pieces)
I've always felt it removed just a little bit of bullshit the game didnt need
>>
>>52296049
This honestly sounds a lot like how the pathfinder card game plays. I've only played the app of the pathfinder game so my knowledge is a little limited
>>
>>52296235
the BGG Guild I'm in that meets up on fridays has 250-350 games as the norm for the members that are there every friday
100 member group
about 1 in 4 members have that many games
I have a paltry 10 games
>>
Finally got to play some board games for the first time in forever. I played a couple of games of Tyrants of the Underdark. I thought it was pretty decent. One of the more enjoyable games with deckbuilding mechanics I've played.
>>
>>52297768
Have you watched any reviews or read the rules? If it still looks good to you, then yes.
>>
>>52297768
It's a heavy game for 2 players but if you know someone interested in playing it with you, it is a blast and very unique feeling.
>>
>>52286335

>implying NYT bestsellers are on the list because they sell the best
>>
>>52284604

the models?
>>
Anyone's thoughts on pandemic?
I just bought it and me and my friends keep losing, we did however win one game.
Is the game supposed to be hard or are we doing something wrong?
I'm having fun regardless
>>
>>52301501
sounds like you're just not used to thinking strategically. you'll get better as you play more games, its a way of thinking people who don't play a lot of games aren't used to
>>
>>52301501
Two tips:

a) The game actually has very little randomness. The whole card shuffling song and dance adds some variability, but you can still predict 90% of what happens in a game at turn 1.

b) The key part is putting together a card exchange plan. You have only 7 or so rounds in a 4-player game, so start planning immediately. Outbreaks are only a timer to force you to exchange cards efficiently. Keep the risk manageable but otherwise you can ignore infections.

P.S. The game is specifically designed so that on average you'll _never_ get a set of 5 cards of one color by random draws. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>52287426
I'm still kinda mad I let my chance of backing Sub Terra go to waste. Tell me how it is when you get it.
>>
>>52301501
I really enjoyed the original game and wanted to buy it for myself, but considering my friends already have the thing, I settled for the Cthulhu variant. It's slightly more thematic and has different mechanics but I really REALLY like it.
>>
>>52302822
i have no opinion on cthulhu as a theme and i thought pandemic cthulhu was more fun than vanilla pandemic
>>
>>52277885
i got Arboretum but I can't stand it. Every turn is too tense since there's almost never an optimal choice available
>>
>>52300349
A book may be a NYT bestseller because NYT wanted to hype it up when it sells moderately and a book may sell well and not be on that list for a time but sustained presence on the NYT bestseller list is only possible when it sells well.
>>
>>52303393
False, the NYT bestseller list has no relation to sales at all. It's pure advertising, you can put any book at all on it as long as you pony up the cash.
>>
>>52286574
I don't get it.
>Lay out map
>set up deck
>time to set up another deck
>cards everywhere
>I am cards
what's the draw to this except for sheer content overload?
>>
>>52303242
I love the game just for that, it's a hard sell to get people playing, but almost everyone squirms about trying to decide the best move during their turn. The hidden information makes for a terrible game to teach while also playing though, there's always somebody who assumes a rule wrong and makes a misplay. It's also plagued with AP.
>>
>>52303517
Not really:

http://observer.com/2016/02/the-truth-about-the-new-york-times-and-wall-street-journal-bestseller-lists/

NYT best seller lists are skewed but they do have a relation to sells.
>>
>>52303921
>NYT best seller lists are skewed but they do have a relation to sells.
Of course they do, books that don't sell enough copies to justify the cost of buying a spot on the NYT list don't appear on the NYT list.
>>
>>52303957
Well Ok... my original point still stands and it applies to amazon bestsellers or NYT bestsellers etc.
>>
>>52301501
I love Pandemic and I'm doing the Legacy version at the moment.
First time I played vanilla I got my butt handed to me several time. Then we noticed that, when an Epidemic occures, we drew the infection card from the top of the deck instead of the bottom. Made the game way harder.
>>
>>52304160
> my original point still stands
No, it doesn't, and you're a mongoloid mental retard.
>>
So star wars rebellion is 52 USD on Amazon atm. I'm a huge star wars fan but play solo a lot. There is a solo variant for it. Anyone try it? I picked it up anyway incase I find a player 2. What am I in for?
>>
>>52303208
Well, to be honest, on the material aspect, it's more worth the money with actual character minis and not just meeples. Especially the Shoggoths, who are actually pretty big looking and scary.
The problem about this variant is that killing the first Shoggoth on first round by tp'ing from the starting point kinda gives you lots of breathing room and the mechanics kinda falls apart.
That said, we also tried the Hard mode (removing 1 card of each color from the Player draw stack) and we got absolutely ripped apart.
The luck aspect is definitely present, because the early Shoggoth spawning on a portal is highly likely to go through on the first summoning phase.
>>
File: floorboard.jpg (132KB, 751x762px) Image search: [Google]
floorboard.jpg
132KB, 751x762px
Is anybody here into good, oldfashioned card-games? Games we've gotten into:

Piquet (pronounced "picket"): super intense trick-taking game for two players with a short deck; a very logical game where you have a lot of information, but with a good amount of randomness too (i.e. it's usually possible with skill to avoid losing a hand terribly but it's not always possible to avoid losing). Counting cards is pretty essential but it's not so hard because you have half of the deck and can look at tricks you've won/cards you discarded at any time (i.e. I've got A-Q-J-10 of diamonds and I want to know whether I discarded the K or my opponent has it; if opponent has it I should throw down J or Q to force him to play his K, but if the K is out of play I'd lead with the A and hopefully railroad him). It takes time to get used to because the scoring is a little byzantine (and french) and you have to keep track of it in your head but really a great game, not deserving of its obsolescence. Definitely way more interesting than Rummy games!

Cribbage - another two player game. One of those great games with simple rules but complex strategy (I've seen a cribbage strategy site as big as a large book). You throw down cards alternating with your opponent trying to "hit" 15 and 31, sort of like black jack, scoring points also for laying down something that makes a pair or sequence, etc. But you discard to make a crib, which all goes to the dealer, so there's lots to think about in terms of making a good (or bad) crib, what might hurt your hand, what's worth it, etc It's not easy to describe but great game to play.

Tarok - for three to four players, very fun game though you need some sort of tarot deck (not an occult deck). A trick-taking game with bidding. My favorite rule of tarok is that if all players decline to bid you have to play a "negative round" where the goal is to avoid winning tricks. This pretty well punishes pusillanimous bidders because they end up taking big penalties.
>>
>>52304852
Personally I like 3-5-8 it's for 3 players straight and plays like "bridge lite".
>>
All Fours - for 2-4 people; fairly simple point-trick-taking game with a trump suit that can be played any time. The coolest part is that the most valuable card for points is a 10, which can be beaten by the A or any court card, so the asymmetry there makes play a little more interesting. You get one point for having high trump, one for having low trump, one for jack of trumps (if applicable), one for winning the actual cards. So two of the four possible points in any game are entirely random, which is a little high for me, but still an easy game to teach and good for a break from others.

Skat - For three, with one player going against the other two. Just getting into this one. It's a lot like tarok but with a 32-card piquet deck. The scoring and bidding is brilliant but relatively complicated. It's a game that combines all the best bits of tarok l'hombre, then crammed them into a short deck. But the suits are hard to explain: all the jacks are always the top four of the trump suit in order clubs-spades-hearts-diamonds except in a null contract, the suit order for trump is therefore JJJJA10KQ987 and for the non-trump suits A10KQ987. In a null contract there are no trumps and suits rank like in piquet, AKQJ10987. And then your score is based on y*x where y is what suit you chose for trump (diamonds=9, hearts=10 etc) and x is a number based on a number of things (how many sequential high trump cards do you/your opponents have, did you use the discards, etc.) Really all of that sounds dry as bones and probably didn't mean anything; it's just a fun, very sharp, trick taking game.
>>
>>52304852
>>52304878
>>52304919

Are you Anon talking about traditional card games?!? What do you think this is? A traditional games thread? Oh wait.... ;)

I haven't played Cribbage in so long I've forgotten the rules. Once upon a time I played a lot of Euchre too.
>>
Does anybody play games at bars or restaurants?
>>
>>52304852
>into good, oldfashioned card-games
There's a euchre deck in my car permanently but I think that's required by state law. I'll still play Hearts on occasion too, or Gin, but these days if I'm sitting down with someone who likes "classic/old" card games I pull out a copy of Diamonds instead so I can move them into modern games.
>>
>>52305233
Mostly just Consulting Detective, as material for going out to dinner with the wife and other couples or friends.
>>
>>52304536
I would totally buy that but I have a hard on for Star Wars. Take that for what you will
>>
>>52305210
Euchre was the thing to do in middle school when we had free time
>>
>>52305439
It's also a great way to fleece drunken Frat dude-bros out of beer money in college.
>>
>>52306124
Huh, that's a new one to me
>>
>>52304536
It's a super interesting game, I like it a lot. The solo variant is... functional, but I'd much rather have a human opponent.

I really like the leader system. It's simple but makes every decision very feel very difficult and weighty, there's a lot to consider every time you assign a mission or activate a system. The combat can be a bit of a bore and and kinda grindy as the game just stops while you and your opponent roll and a mountain of dice back and forth for a while, but everything else about feels really well thought out.
>>
Has anyone played Last Friday?

It sounds really interesting though I've heard it has some problems... however it's on sale for only $25 at CSI so I'm thinking about giving it a chance for that price.
>>
File: gkr heavy hitters.jpg (216KB, 680x697px) Image search: [Google]
gkr heavy hitters.jpg
216KB, 680x697px
57 hours to go. This is still shit right?
It looks really cool visually and componentwise, but it's shit, right?
>>
>>52307638
it looks great visually but the mechanics and most of all combat are awful
>>
>>52307638
> this again
Don't you have something better to do?
>>
>>52307638
Stop it FUCKER

Did anyone else back illimat btw, starting to get more excited about it
>>
>>52307798
>>52307770
What?
>>
>>52307638
> Srly Guys, Srly!
> This game has eye-candy! Therefore it must be good.
>"Plz reaffirm my bad life choices." the post...
>>
>>52308446
Wut? I said it's shit you retard. Learn to read.
>>
>>52307638
I'm not against kickstarters. Got 3 boardgame kickstarters backed at this moment. This looks pretty unremarkable though. Major style over substance issue going on here. I like my high quality components but nothing about this gameplay is speaking to me.
>>
Clank! reprint is in stock I was thinking about picking that up, anyone have thoughts on it?
>>
>>52308530
So what we have here is your shit-posting sarcasm failure. Bravo!
<Golf clap!>
Well done there Fidel Scarcastro!
>>
File: marenostrumCV.png (940KB, 640x796px) Image search: [Google]
marenostrumCV.png
940KB, 640x796px
Anyone got any hot opinions on Mare Nostrum: Empires? How does it compare to similar games?
>>
>>52311019
Love it.
Excellent balance of politics, trade, and combat, very strong player agency, subtle but very significant asymmetry, good variety in win conditions, doesn't take too long, scales well across playercounts. Elegant rules.
About the only thing I can criticize is dice combat resolution, but it's handled really well and results are usually in a pretty narrow range.
>>
any opinions on aon's end, they are doing a reprint kickstarter
>>
>>52307250
Thanks. That's what I heard about the solo. Interesting review of the mechanics and the like. Thank you
>>
>>52311196
If you like co-ops and/or deckbuilders it has neat gameplay but components and cards are poor quality.
>>
File: pic3427664.jpg (84KB, 456x466px) Image search: [Google]
pic3427664.jpg
84KB, 456x466px
This is gonna suck, right u guise??? Right??
>>
>>52311670
all games suck
>>
>>52307638
>>52311670
these posts are totally different and not shills, rite you guise??? rytt?????
>>
>>52311085
How does it compare to the original mare nostrum?
>>
>>52312207
Never played it, and I've only briefly glanced over the rules for the original, but it seems significantly cleaned up, and I don't think the old one was a mess to begin with. Consensus looks to be universally agreed as an improvement, at the very least.
>>
>>52312083
>implying I was not mockingly copying the other KS post
Kys
>>
File: IMG_3949.png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3949.png
1MB, 1334x750px
I have been playing a game called "Intestinal Fortitude". It's a wrestling game that uses a simple dice mechanic! Great fun!

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/intestinal-fortitude
>>
>>52312430
>implying that's not how shilling works
sorry, mr goldberg. not falling for it
>>
>>52310085
The fuck is wrong with you? What sarcasm? I wanted confirmation that this is in fact shit even though it looks great. I was tempted to back it so I wanted you guys to badmouth it to keep me from shilling out for this pile of plastic. Fucking retard just go to bed you need all the rest you can get.
>>
>>52290420
BattleCon can be fun with a gf it just takes a few rounds to get used to a character and their quirks.
>>
>>52305210
Is Euchere the amish one or whatever where you make piles and wood pile and shit? The in laws from Indiana love it
>>
>>52312962
Yeah that's why I bought it... I don't play it because we split not because she doesn't like it.

I don't know how single people play 2p games. Though, I got War of the Ring and a friend promised he'd play with me.
>>
File: dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif (5MB, 325x294px) Image search: [Google]
dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif
5MB, 325x294px
>playing the first Tim Stories campaign
> mfw punching a real life, honest-to-God Manticore to death didn't immediately solve the "temporal anomaly"

Still had a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to playing the other cases.
>>
>>52313175

Too bad, the other cases suck
>>
>>52313175
Yeah, we just finished Asylum as well, and it's gotta be the most innovative and enjoyable game we've played in years. We'll be going for Marcy next, probably.

I'm really glad Legacy and Campaign are picking up steam as mechanics. They're bloody brilliant and are clearly the future. Fuck the haters
>>
File: interestingiftrue.jpg (46KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
interestingiftrue.jpg
46KB, 512x384px
>>52313272
>>
>>52313464

It is. Marcy Case has an interesting mechanic or two, but the final puzzle can be solved by randomly guessing if you don't have the clues, and becomes retardedly easy if you do have them. On top of that, the theme of the scenario is one of the most overdone and played out themes in gaming, and isn't even done in an interesting way.

Prophecy of Dragons wishes it was a D&D game. Or a Zelda game. It's nowhere near as good as either one.

Under the Mask is at least passable, featuring an interesting -- if overdone -- historical setting, a neat character-switching mechanic, and amusing puzzles.

Expedition Endurance has generally seen weak reviews, and is the only one I haven't played yet.

T.I.M.E Stories is just one long exercise in failing to live up to Asylum.
>>
>>52285204
This is the wisest advice I've seen on this taiwanese origami forum and I browse at least 7 boards regularly.
>>
>>52314630
>>52285204
I do this, but only because I have limited budget and don't buy until something's playtested first. Means I get to play year old games at cons, then buy them during black friday/xmas sales after they've been out 18 months.
>>
>>52285204
I would do this if game printings weren't so sparse
>>
>>52314909
If a game goes out of print then it's probably crap anyways. (Barring the rare regional licensing snafu.)
>>
>>52272949
>Whatcha playing?
Neuroshima HEX, playing with my grandmother so she doesn't get alzheimer's
>>
File: grimslingers.png (334KB, 680x399px) Image search: [Google]
grimslingers.png
334KB, 680x399px
Just saw this on Kickstarter and it looks gorgeous. Anybody here know this or maybe even played it?
>>
>>52315505
I have some friends who are pretty impressed with it, but haven't played it myself. The art is pretty fantastic though, and the whole thing is virtually a one-man project, which is always cool - if often bad.
>>
Does anyone know if steve jackson is planning to rerelease Illuminati and its expansions?
>>
>>52315550
True. If it's a labor of love it can end up being incredible or total garbage.
>>
Anyone play Mice and Mystics? How is it? It keeps catching my eye at the shop.

>>52305233
Does Panera count? A group of us after work would go to the Panera across the street and play shit like Star Realms, Guillotine, Betrayal at the House, etc. at least twice a week, sit there, order some bullshit, and play until the kick us out. They know most of us by name now.

>>52312469
Is this only for wrestling fans or can anyone get into it?
>>
>>52315388

You're lucky, my grandparents have been dead for years, my uncle on my mom's side killed himself, and my father suddenly died a few weeks ago so the only family I have left that matters is my mother and my younger sister.
>>
>>52316085
I'm sorry anon ;_;
>>
>>52316085
>>
>>52314630
this advice is repeated on this board constantly but half the time someone shoots it down as "lol poorfag, muh plastic"
>>
Could anyone recommend a hex & chit game to start with?
>>
>>52317281
it's probably not exactly what you're looking for but neuroshima hex is a good game and really easy to learn
>>
>>52317281
Ogre Pocket Edition
>>
>>52317281
I hear the pocket edition of Ogre is a good starting point. And the giant edition is a good starting point for weight lifting.
>>
>>52317628
>>52317644
Looks interesting. Sucks that I can't find it for $2.95, but I'll consider it.

>>52317360
I've played a bit of Neuroshima Hex; it's fun, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks though.
>>
>>52316085
Sorry to hear that. I lost my brother a couple of weeks ago to cancer. He's the one that bought me my first 'war game' a long time ago. I miss him a lot.
>>
File: IMG_0523.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0523.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>52272949
I took a bunch of picks if the box opening but I'm too excited to post them all so here's this
>>
>>52317281
Battlelore
>>
>>52320484
I was going to comment on the board but almost had a panic attack when I saw what was on it.
>>
>>52320519
The reverse sides are a smaller version of this same board without all the player aid stuff so it can actually fit, and an local star group board for the interstellar expac.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (12KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
12KB, 225x224px
>>52296320
>>52296320
>>52296049
>>52295788
>>52291071

Arkham horror LCG blows the original 2 out of the water (considering youve got 1-4 players and have loads e mone)

Seriously though. I have played every Arkham files game extensively and this one takes the cake.
>>
>>52320484
USE A COASTER YOU MONG
>>
>>52320932
It's warm.
>>
>>52320896

Oh absolutely. AH LCG is amazing.

It's fucking hard as balls, though. My girlfriend and I have been trying to beat the core scenarios with Skids and Daisy, and we have two cores so we're doing proper deckbuilding. Midnight Masks keeps beating the shit out of us, and if you fuck up Midnight Masks badly enough, playing out the final scenario is practically a formality.

We're considering doing another run with Roland and Agnes to see if more firepower will yield better results.
>>
>>52320484

THAT CAN BETTER BE DRY AND ROOM TEMPERATURE YOU SON OF A BITCH
>>
Am I a total shitter for liking the Descent 2e tiles far better than any other fucking tileset to date, including the entire D&D 4e tilesets and shit-ton of Pathfinder flipmats and tiles?
>>
Are there dungeon crawler style board games that use the concept of Fog of War?
>>
>>52320484
>autism_trigger.png
>>
>>52321482
>autism
Even I, someone who owns very few card/board games and who's not knee deep in the hobby, this picture got me upset.
>>
>>52321519
>>52321482
>>52320932
>>52320519
I only put it there for scale, you should be able to tell that it's sealed and warm.
Has anyone else gotten their High Frontier in yet?
>>
>>52321644
Judging by the response, you probably should've used a pink penis pencil or something instead of the can.

Glad you got the game though friend, wasn't this the one that had production troubles or something?
>>
>>52321873
Yeah, I waited like two and a half years for this thing. Got so bad that the designer said if Ares Magazine doesn't put it out by this fall, he was running his own printing and donating copies to all the jilted backers.
But it came in so I'm still 5/5 for Kickstarters.
The other 4 are Scythe, Anachrony, a pig tile promo for Keyflower, and Star Patrol: Carrier Commander.
>>
>>52321089
Nope, they're really nice.
>>
>>52321089
Never played Descent but looking at these it gives a proper sense of the good kind of fantasy RPG adventure setting.
>>
>>52311633
the reprint has significantly improved all components.
>>
>>52321089
I dont like descent 2e, but tiles are great if not the best out there.
>>
File: gu9tt4ikhzmy.jpg (45KB, 700x783px) Image search: [Google]
gu9tt4ikhzmy.jpg
45KB, 700x783px
>>52315388
>started board gaming in the first place to stop my father from declining mentally even more than he already had
>had to move out for my own mental health because living with a mentally drained man and his literally psychotic narcissist wife was unfeasible
>now I never get the chance to game with him anymore and he's too depressed to do that sort of thing himself
It's down to once every couple months tops, and that's only when I can trick him into coming inside my house and actually getting to experience hospitality, real food, and someone who isn't in a perpetual state of screaming. Guy needs so much self worth training... I have no idea what to do beyond what I already am.
>>
>>52318249
Are you looking for realistic (to some extend) war games?
Try Men of Iron / Infidel from GMT or french system Au fil de l'épéé.
They can be played really fast compared to other hex war games (I've got like 30 of these monsters so I know what I'm talking about)
>>
Just bought battlestar galactica. How hard is it to teach to people?
>>
>>52320896

I would agree that it's the best but I believe it can co-exist on a shelf with EH as each has a different goal and playstyle. I would say AHBG and Elder Sign can easily be forgotten though - the former is only for nostalgic fans when it first came out and the latter is better as a mobile app.
>>
>>52323933
The key is the people part. Toasters pick it up lightning fast but people. They're unpredictable
>>
>>52323933
It's not exactly easy, there is knowing about what each things do, what you can do in one turn, etc. and how to do it and actually play the goddamn game instead of doing stupid stuff (which is fine and is usually in-character).

The constant paranoia and the kobol step ensure that at least half of the board will probably do stupit shit but that's all in the game.

There's a lot to remember rules-wise, it'll probably take at least a couple of games. Then the strategy is yet another step, but since it's a traitor thing, most players will need to learn it themselves (counting cards, remembering the others abilities, knowing how to have a group mentality and an individual strategy).

It's not easy, but it's awesome nonetheless, it's easily one of the best board game adaptation of any book/film/series material, plus extansions are all great to boot.
>>
>>52324657
>knowing how to have a group mentality and an individual strategy
I'm new to board games and I haven't been able to nail this down yet. Any tips for a beginner?
>>
>>52320967
>>52320896

I have been told the AHLCG is the best thing ever by many different sources. So far I am staying away from it because it apparently devours money like no other.
>>
File: minis.jpg (146KB, 844x549px) Image search: [Google]
minis.jpg
146KB, 844x549px
>Add minis
>Sell the 5th player separately
>Win GOTYs and take a top spot on the all time list
Why are boardgamers so fuckin stupid and shallow all of a sudden? I can't think of a more blatant example of how bad the industry has become than this. Same game without the minis and no one cares.
>>
>>52326437
Unfortunetly boardgames have become normie-core and now shitters cant enjoy anything that doesn't look "epic" (case in point rising sun as well and I'd say KD:M if it wasnt for the fact its a really good price with some really good minis if you're into painting and it's actually ambitious)
>>
>>52326437
2007 was 10 years ago anon. Is that game still in print? I agree with you to some degree, selling 5th player as an addon is a money stealer, copied idea becomes game of the year etc.

But cursingpeople for liking minis and visual aspect? As long as the game have some depth, and from what I heard BR is good, even great for some (I haven't played myself) you can't blame the crowd.
>>
>>52323933
I've played it with a group that was all new to games and it went pretty well. It's not hard once you get going.
>>
>>52326550
>from what I heard BR is good
You're hearing that from people blinded by minis. The point of this comparison is you're looking at the exact same fuckin game without the minis and no one cared.
>>
>>52321089
Both descent and madness of mansions (1st and second edition) both have gorgeous tiles.

FFG aren't perfect, and the plastic minis for MoM are surprisingly bad, but their cardboard game pieces and art are fantastic.
>>
>>52323875
Yeah, a "realistic" war game sounds appealing and those suggestions are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
>>
>>52326437
>Why are boardgamers so fuckin stupid and shallow all of a sudden?
Due to a sudden influx of Amerilard normies.
>>
>>52317628
>>52317644

Ogre pocket edition or sixth edition? I like large/complex games, but my group doesn't play any war games, should I start it basic, or does the sixth edition have more stuff that justifies getting it over the pocket?
>>
>>52325766

It devours money because it's sold out all the time so it's at huge markups in a lot of places.

Also because they really do want you to buy a ridiculous number of core sets. Each core set only contains one copy of most of its cards, but a full playset of any given card is two copies, so if you want to build good solo decks you need two cores. You can get by with just two cores for two players, but only certain investigator combinations will produce viable decks, so you're being gently nudged towards more cores to boost your flexibility.

I think, but cannot prove, that FFG wants every player to buy one of everything and two core sets. I also think that if you're only playing with one other person, one of everything and two core sets is probably adequate as long as you pick investigators who don't cut across each other.
>>
>>52327500
Get pocket. Its cheaper.
>>
>>52327516
I mean, you don't have to prove it, it's how FFG does their "core sets" for everything. Netrunner core sets included singles of some of the best cards so really competitive players would buy three.
>>
>>52327500
6th edition is the normal tabletop gamer sized, pocket is $3, so get that first to decide if you like it. Then buy either 6e if you like it, or the designer edition if it's the greatest thing you've ever played and you want to waste $180 on 28lbs of plastic and cardboard that will eat tables.
>>
>>52328181
Where do you find it for $3? I've only been able to find a $18 copy on eBay.
>>
>>52326437
Yet another hobby that´ll fall victim to its own success, nothing to see here.
Popularity really is cancer.
>>
File: vaselonmidgard.png (20KB, 699x160px) Image search: [Google]
vaselonmidgard.png
20KB, 699x160px
>>52326437

Lol, he rated it as low as Vasco da Gama.
>>
>>52328229
Ahh, in between print runs, but yeah suggested msrp is $2.95. boardgameprices.com has it listed in stock at a couple canook places for 3.99 CAD
>>
>>52329068
Who the fuck is 'he' and why should I care?
>>
>>52329068
>Tom Vasel
Dead god.
>>
>>52329227
An obnoxious game 'reviewer' that likes to hear his own voice and opinions and always wear hats indoor.
>>
opinions on King's Road/Imperium?
saw the Kickstarter but didn't feel like backing it, it's a Knizia so it's bound to be easily available by the time it's hits shelves
>>
File: pic1180640.jpg (450KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pic1180640.jpg
450KB, 600x600px
Is Descent worth the money and will I be satisfied with it?
Getting back into boardgames after about a 7 year break, used to play Memoir 44 religiously with my dad but that was about it. Now I have a group of people to play with and we started playing Memoir with expansions as well as Carcassonne, really fun.
Now I'm after something with a fantasy theme, have been interested in Talisman for years but I've been a bit put off after reading about the supposed minimal player interaction and seeing that pretty much every expansion is out of print.
Turned to Descent for my fix of RPG like adventuring, good choice?
>>
>>52329223
Ah, well would you say it's worth $20? I don't mind spending it--I'm not strapped for cash--but I don't wanna feel ripped off, ya know?
>>
>>52329866
The pocket edition is worth $3-10, it's just a couple pieces of paper and some chits. The 6e is currently on sale at CSI for like $30, so I definitely wouldn't spend $20 on the paper version. Just looked at the BGG marketplace and there's a copy there in the US for $5 + shipping, or one in Italy for cheaper, but you might get hit on the shipping there.
>>
>>52304192
Playing Legacy as well.

With the original Pandemic we were only able to beat it the first 3 times because we missed a rule somewhere (somehow)

Three ways to lose and only one way to win makes it tough.
>player deck runs out
>8+ Outbreaks that can chain
>Run out of infection cubes for ANY disease

>You win when you find a cure for all 4 diseases!
>>
>friends are only into 30 min, low complexity games
>>
File: pic2398773.jpg (745KB, 1003x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pic2398773.jpg
745KB, 1003x1000px
What is the comfiest board game and why is above and below?
>>
>>52330156
It's not that hard. Honestly, it is hard only if the game REALLY wants to fuck you in the ass. And yet, there are also difficulty levels, which means that it's doable.

>>52330321
It's not REALLY a bad thing. I myself own a lot of short games and those are fun. Just get yourself other playmates that are willing to play some more complex games.
>>
>>52330373
fuck off tumblr whore
>>
>>52329733
It's alright. Like most FFG games it's really expansion heavy however.
>>
>mfw I bought a copy of Descent months ago and I've never been able to actually play it
>>
>>52331216
kys weebcuck
>>
File: heard you liked buzzwords.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
heard you liked buzzwords.png
2MB, 1366x768px
>>52331251
>>
>>52329733
If you like a tactical minitures racing game.

Nothing since Hero Quest has done the genre justice. And sadly, it looks like nothing on the horizon will, either.
>>
>>52330373
get the fuck out of here you piece of shit
>>
>>52330373
Consulting Detective is comfier, and I don't even like co-ops.
>>
File: 20170323_174630.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_174630.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Several days ago I inquired about smol games under 20 minutes to play with non gamers. Big thanks to the anons who made these suggestions, looking forward to trying these.
>>
>>52303576

Spazaholic. The setup for this is no longer thanPathfinder:adventure card game or arkham horror. Some games have decks of cards. Deal with it.
>>
>>52331406
why did you timestamp your picture?
>>
>>52331483
someone might have pretended to also be an anonymous person who has those games
imagine the chaos
>>
>>52331483
My /b/tard tendencies have stayed with me for awhile. Regardless, I'm looking to get Tsuro next, though I understand that's not quite as small.
>>
>>52331423
>Deal with it.
Uh no, I think I will instead play games that are not complete garbage
>>
>>52330120
Thanks a ton! Sent the seller a message and he's willing to ship for $3 and submitted my order immediately.
>>
>>52331808
The box is 9.5 inches x 9.5 inches. It isn't the smallest game but it isn't massive either
>>
>>52317628
>>52327500
>>52317644
>Look up Ogre pocket because I've never heard of it
>Find this as a review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dapRQ3bMS7s

What did I just watch?
>>
File: abandonthisplace.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
abandonthisplace.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>52332057
This is the future you're looking forward to browsing /bgg/.

Get out while you can.
>>
What's your favourite non collectible duel card games?
>>
>>52330373
Imperial Settlers is totes comfycore
>>
>>52332385
I was about to say Doomtown but then you said "Duel"
so I guess Mage Wars?
>>
>>52332385
Millennium Blades
also Ashes but I feel like it dips its toes into the collectible territory
>>
>>52332057
>What did I just watch?

Why did you bother to watch it?
>>
>>52332057
I kinda like it. I feel his pain. Related any good scifi hex and chit games?
>>
>>52332385

BattleCON is excellent - simple rules with huge depth of gameplay
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.