[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was thinking of coming back to MTG after not playing since

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: mtgstandard.jpg (74KB, 940x198px) Image search: [Google]
mtgstandard.jpg
74KB, 940x198px
I was thinking of coming back to MTG after not playing since Innistrad and I wanted to know /tg/s opinion on which format you guys personally prefer to play more:Standard or Modern?
>>
Edh like everyone else
>>
>>52268986
I personally prefer Standard, but it's currently quite bad, worse than in the former rotation.
I'd say Modern is better if you can afford a one-time payment instead of Standard's wild ride.
>>
>>52269544

Don't people usually say standard is worse than the previous rotation, every rotation?
>>
>>52268986
draft
>>
>>52268986
Draft is best since money picks don't influence the format that much like deck prices in constructed do. Also if you have a nice group to play with you can rare redraft and cube occasionally.

If you really want to play in tournaments, borrow or rent a deck from someone else, no need to burn hundreds of dollars for a few hours of enjoyment.
>>
>>52268986
Standard is a $250 investment that requires another $100 or so every 3 months. As things rotate out you can potentially recoup parts of that.

Frontier is a $800 investment that may drop to 0 when the meme dies.

Modern is a $1000 investment that may drop to 0 if your deck gets hit by the banhammer.

Legacy is a $2500 investment that ensures you will only play people who loved the game in 95 but still play twenty years later.

Cube is a $50 investment to the Chinaman that lets you play the most powerful cards ever printed with any group of friends you come across.
>>
>>52269551
True enough, but Standard is currently a 1.5-2 deck format (Mardu Vehicles, Copy Cat).

Its really, really bad.
>>
>>52269551
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#online
>>
Modern
Build a deck that will probably never see a ban, like jund/k or burn
>>
>>52269970
Legacy is restricted to cities or towns where an actual meta exists.

In all 4 towns/cities I have ever lived, across 3 states, I have not had a local legacy meta.
>>
If you want to play with people who enjoy magic, play standard. If you want to play with people who hate magic, also you, also themselves, and are prone to memeing irl, play modern.
>>
I played standard for a bit this standard for the first time in years, I've gotta say as someone who's accustomed to the diversity of modern I'm hugely disappointed.
I had a blue black control deck that was fairly decent for a while and I really enjoyed the play style. There are about 3 decks in standard now which will kerb stomp the shit out of you unless you're playing the rock to the scissors of the selection of the three (3) standard decks available.

I also hate planeswalkers and this seems to be the set where they're basically mandatory. They're horribly overpowered and there are no answers. I hope you enjoy 3 deck midrange.
>>
>>52271395
Burn is softbanned by Wizards' insistence in not printing powerful burn spells anymore, same as control.

Notice how it's consistently getting placed lower and lower in the meta due to the decks it preyed on being banned and other decks that naturally resist it rising.
>>
legacy you faget
>>
>>52268986
Standard is a trash heap right now and end up being more expensive over time.

I like Legacy, Modern and EDH. Sometimes draft.
>>
>>52268986
Pauper for life, nigga. Today I beat Legacy Nic Fit with a pauper izzet control deck on mtgo.
>>
>>52268986
For me standard isn't too bad right now because my LCS is mostly people that play tier 1.5/2 decks. Mostly control decks, and Mardu vehicles isn't played. Now the true meta is a shit right now, but a tier 2 deck just won a GP, so that's nice I guess. I play Grixis Tower, but that Temur Tower looked sweet.

Modern is comparably healthy, but it will cost a good amount, but MM3 should help the prices.

Legacy doesn't into real where I live.

EDH is not fun for me. MtG is not designed with 4 players in mind, and in my experience will just devolve into who can hit their infinite combo faster.

TL;DR Standard is ok if your meta isn't full of super spikes, modern is probably the healthiest format, legacy has been slowly dying for years due to inaccessibility, and EDH is a trick.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.