[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

X-Com Roleplaying Game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Hey /tg/ is there some kind of Roleplaying Game with X-Com feeling?
I mean the "take Alien stuff and protect the Earth" kind of feeling.
>>
>>52264802

Only War, while not expressly for it, should work pretty good.
>>
Delta Green?
>>
Mutants and Masterminds can work with that sort of thing. Just bump the PL down for PCs at the start.
>>
>>52264802

'Take alien stuff and protect Earth' is more up to the GM, really.

I'd actually look to the upcoming Infinity RPG for an X-COM-esque RPG. It has rules running from near future contemporary soldiers for the Ariadnans, right up to impossible advanced alien weapon systems, and a considerable breadth between that you could explore as part of progressing your available tech.

Actually... There is an RPG which can be summed up as 'take Alien stuff and protect the Earth', but it isn't particularly X-COM. Last Stand, where you play people in various suits of insectoid armour which you progress and advance by ripping pieces off the insectoid invaders and adding them to your own equipment.
>>
>>52264802
maybe cyberpunk 2020's 'friday night firefight' system could work for you
>>
GURPS

Now before y'all crucify me, hear me out. GURPS has a number of series that are basically pick-up-and-play (at least as much as other RPGs are) that establish starting point values, collect all relevant/genre- and tone-appropriate rules, and give players Templates they use to build their characters a'la classes.

One of these, Monster Hunters, is basically WoD: Hunters crossed with Supernatural/BtVS. However, the latest splat, Applied Xenology, lets GMs add not!Sectoids, not!Predators, not!Chrysalids, and many more alongside traditional monsters. There are also tips on removing ALL supernatural themes and instead focusing on ayylmaos exclusively. It also has rules for reverse-engineering alien tech, and while characters are very competent, the system is lethal enough for an XCOM vibe.

Speaking of which, there's also an article from GURPS's e-zine that makes character creation even faster/simpler. Instead of templates, characters are buil with broad packages like Agile, Combat Reflexes, and Firearms Training; assuming you know what character you want, you can roll up a dude in less than five minutes. This lets GMs explore their inner sadist a bit more; character death will still be painful and obviously shouldn't be overused, but now if an unlucky crit turns a character into a radioactive crater, that player can get back into the game before the next firefight.

Monster Hunters also has my favorite approach to mystery solving, which is nice if you want a bit of X-Files in your XCOM to keep it from being all combat all the time.
>>
>>52264802
desu I'm surprised nobody has made a straight-up XCOM-like TTRPG.
>>
>>52267939
There's supposedly a hack for Gumshoe that can do it - Moon Dust Men, or something like that. Premise is Majestic Twelve fighting aliens in the 70s. Granted, it's with Gumshoe, so I don't know how well that would work.
>>
>>52267939
Strike! uses a system similar to modern XCOM.
>>
>>52264802
Hunter could handle it. Less professional soldiers, more shitty rookies in over their heads and stopping a secret alien invasion with what they can loot or get their hands on.
>>
>>52264802
>>52267939
>I'm surprised nobody has made a straight-up XCOM-like TTRPG

Two XCOM-inspired RPGs have actually been kickstarted recently:

- CONTACT - Tactical Alien Defense RPG
- First Contact X-Corps

And what about The End of the World - Alien Invasion?
>>
>>52269979
>The End of the World - Alien Invasion
Those books are trash. Great for source material, maybe, but no good for actually executing a game.

>>52264802
I second the anon who mentioned Delta Green. Or if you're going to build something from the ground up, consider FATE and build a tactical minigame for the combat.
>>
>>52264802
Delta Green or GURPS. GURPS has an edge in terms of quality of rules for combat taking place on a map, but it also requires learning all the rules for combat that takes place on the grid square. Which are many.

>>52269979
Either of those looking any good? CONTACT already has me warmed up to it because that name is perfect.
>>
>>52270302
>Either of those looking any good?

Never played them yet, but I can offer you to check by yourself:

s3nd sp4ce d0t c0m
/filegroup/scIRsHX0JM46hkQBTR09lw
>>
File: XCOM-EU_Sectoid.jpg (139KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
XCOM-EU_Sectoid.jpg
139KB, 960x720px
>>
I Love The Corps

Recently kickstarted (relax, it was just to pay for art)sci-fi horror RPG is designed for space marines of the Starship Troopers variety, and fits the XCOM mold pretty well with a little tweaking - it even has rules for going insane mid-combat!
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.