[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As someone considering getting into Warhammer 40K, what would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 40k.jpg (347KB, 1600x924px) Image search: [Google]
40k.jpg
347KB, 1600x924px
As someone considering getting into Warhammer 40K, what would you recommend in terms of armies?

I'm not looking for anything too serious, just something to paint and play semi-competitively with friends.

I like the look of Chaos Daemons, specifically Khorne and Tzeench, but it doesn't look like they have a whole lot of variation when it comes to painting them. Tyranids also look interesting, but they're a bit more on the expensive side. Skiitari look fun, but they don't seem to be very well-supported in terms of actual models.
>>
>>52261898
Daemons and Nids are kinda fucked in terms of being competitive, they have really shit rules that fuck with them.

Skittari on the other hand have the benefit of being an Imperial army so their list isn't just their own codex, but pretty much every Imperial codex with them. IIRC they've also recently or will soon combined the 30k Mechanicum with the Mechanicus for 40k play which would drastically up the amount of faction specific units you can use.

You can also never go wrong by throwing a Knight into your army.
>>
Have you looked into the Getting Started! Kits? Bear in mind, 8th edition is coming out sooner rather than later. If you do intend to play it may be worth it to wait till it comes out. But, if you don't really care about that, then I'd say buy whatever you want that makes you happiest.
>>
>>52261971
Do we have an estimate for when it's coming out? Will there be many major changes in terms of models, or many just rule changes?
>>
>>52261970

Tzeentch daemons are very competitive. Khorne daemonkin as it's own book seems strong and has had good showings in tournaments also, since it includes khorne marines it adds some variation in units.

Note Tzeentch daemons or daemons in general can be rough on the new player. My roomate started playing last year. He picked up Nurgle daemons. There is a learning curve with those armies.

Nids are visually one of my favorite armies with paint schemes only limited by imagination. Also, last the genestealer cult codex came out so Nids finally have an "ally". Right now people complain that they aren't top tier but there are certainly builds that play well and a few years ago mass fly tyrants was a real thing in the competitive scene.
>>
>>52262186
Some rumors say May, but we don't really know other than this year, and probably before autumn. Big rules changes, probably a few new models but no few ones would be invalidated (might get worse rules though). You can safely buy models and paints. Don't buy a rulebook or codex yet.

Daemons can go alongside Chaos Space Marines.
>>
I've narrowed it down to a Chaos army, or a Tyranid army.

How good are the Thousand Sons? They look interesting, although they definitely seem like they're meant to be built on instead of used right off the bat. They might be interesting to mix with base Tzeench, though.
>>
>>52261898
Daemons have this weird thing where, in canon, they can come in almost any shape or colour but that's so impractical to represent that they always paint them the same way. You can paint them however and no lore acyolytes can bitch (bar Tzeentch horror which, ironically enough for the god of change, always seem to be the same).
They are CHAOS daemons after all.

It's super easy to get in to daemons at a discount with starter sets contain all the staples of those gods units.
Nothing wrong with mixing gods, you can buy start collecting Khorn and Tzeentch and already have a pretty solid army for a discount. Their rules are weird and hard to remember, don't play them if you dislike lots of random elements, but rewarding.
>>
>>52263004
Terrible rules, annoyingly expensive in points so you don't get to bring many models.

You can ally them with the very powerful Tzeentch daemon range but their points cost ends up making so you have fewer TS models than daemons.
>>
>>52261898

Marines are the Mario of 40K, Imperial Guard are the Luigi. Nids are shit, Chaos is even worse shit, Tau are weeaboo faggots with really good guns, Eldar are cheese
>>
File: b4831dd0d9cdb20209e9ea6e29f2bb4a.jpg (528KB, 1536x1469px) Image search: [Google]
b4831dd0d9cdb20209e9ea6e29f2bb4a.jpg
528KB, 1536x1469px
>>52263004
Thousand Sons are horrible if you try to play them lore-accurate. They're just too expensive to be competitive. However, they can work if you just run normal Chaos marines with Mark of Tzzentch backed by Exalted Sorcerers.

Tyranids are one of the worst armies in the game right now, but they can be fun if you run masses of monstrous creatures with Regeneration. You won't win much, but you won't die either.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.