[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to fix risk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: 1462528836773051681.jpg (98KB, 800x354px) Image search: [Google]
1462528836773051681.jpg
98KB, 800x354px
is this the right board to ask?

what supplementary rules will make risk less awful? what about different settings to play in that change map dynamics?

I had in mind some elements from Catan and Crusader Kings II involving diplomacy, resource trading, unique empire characteristics, pacts/vassalization, etc and it seems even just one or two simple layers could save the thing
>>
just play Civilisation
>>
>>52256949
>what supplementary rules will make risk less awful?

Nothing will make Risk less "awful". It's the original Retarded Window Licker of boardgames. That being said:

Terrain - Attacking across certain borders gives the defender an advantage like +1 on all dice or one die.

Sea Lanes - You need to control them before you use them and thus must fight over them.

Proportional reinforcements - You can't control just a few territories and still get the maximum amount of reinforcements simply by playing your cards at the right time.

Require maintenance/supply - Part of the reinforcements you receive each turn must be spent supplying the armies you already have lest you lose armies to attrition.

Variable garrison requirements - The garrison required to hold Central Europe, for example, should be larger than that for Madagascar.
>>
File: TwilightImp.jpg (176KB, 1200x689px) Image search: [Google]
TwilightImp.jpg
176KB, 1200x689px
>>52256949
There is a version of risk where you can fight on the moon, and Australia isn't a bunker. That one is decent.

Barring that edition, try Axis and Allies, or a Napoleonic version of Axis and Allies. Dust Warfare is a much improved version of risk as well.

If you want Risk in space but without the suck, play Twilight Imperium.
>>
File: 1292516013894.jpg (270KB, 800x407px) Image search: [Google]
1292516013894.jpg
270KB, 800x407px
>>52260322
>play Twilight Imperium

OH GOD YES.

Everything wrong with Risk is fixed in TI. Costs about 2x as much as Risk, maybe 2.5x, but it is so worth it.
>>
Why fix Risk?

Suddenly it's 5 in the morning, and everyone is drunk, I'm still stuck in Australia just bunkering up while China and America fight eachother and the game won't ever be finished.
>>
File: evochron.jpg (615KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
evochron.jpg
615KB, 1280x1024px
>>52260837
Only 5 AM? So turn 3 of Twilight Imperium weekend?

Risk is weaksauce compared to the armoured juggernaught that is TI.
>>
File: pic1196938.jpg (145KB, 497x297px) Image search: [Google]
pic1196938.jpg
145KB, 497x297px
>How to fix risk
>>
File: Risk2210.jpg (399KB, 1600x1045px) Image search: [Google]
Risk2210.jpg
399KB, 1600x1045px
>>52260899
>Risk Legacy
>No Moon Map

GTFO peasant.
>>
File: Drugs.png (151KB, 353x427px) Image search: [Google]
Drugs.png
151KB, 353x427px
>>52256949
>>
>>52256949
Hard turn limit
>>
>>52260930
Loved 2210 AD.
>>
>>52260930
2210AD is the way to play risk. I'm trash at it, but it is so much better.
Satellite jammer is horribly OP though.
>>
>>52256949
>How to fix risk
Well... it's not technically broken. Typically a broken game has some mechanic which makes all other options moot. Where you otherwise have gameplay with strategic decisions, this mechanic is the obvious winning choice. that's how a game gets broken.

But Risk isn't a great game as far as "strategic decisions" go. It's more or less a mindless dice-rolling game with a bit of timing the cards right at the end for complete victory. If you want a mindless game to socialize over, or a simple game to teach kids things like winning, losing, politics, combos, and turnabout, then Risk fits the bill.

Are asking how to make it less.... "boring as fuck", then there are options:

>elements from Catan and Crusader Kings II
Ugh.

>involving diplomacy,
It already has this. Table talk.

>resource trading,
You could easily add card trading.

>unique empire characteristics,
Meh.

>pacts/vassalization,
It already has this, see: Diplomacy. Yes, betrayal is an option.
But I used Risk as a stand-in for D&D warfare. Everyone knows the rules, it's quick and easy. But of course I had to fucking tweak it a little.

1) It was gnolls with berzerkers vs a town with the players, guardsmen, and a ton of militia.

The gnolls rolled d8's, their berzerkers rolled d10's, the players rolled 20's. The guardsmen rolled d6's and the militia rolled d4's.

2) Every unit could move once or attack once, or have retreated the previous enemy's turn. No rolling ball of death crossing the board. So you use a unit, they get put on their side. End of your turn, you stand up all your dudes. Anyone choosing to retreat, either from the attackers cancelling the attack or the defenders giving ground, gets put on their side.

3) Retreating is itself a new rule.

4) Defending a wall, and successful leadership roll from the players gave a +1 bonus to rolls.

5) Players that lost (which never happened), were just plot-wounded and couldn't fight any more.
>>
>>52260322
>>52260801
I played it once after a couple of friends spent 2 hours setting it up and that and about another hour explaining the rules.

I chose the victory point thing every time and didn't do much else. The game was over before anyone else really threatened me.

Meh.
>>
>>52256949
>what supplementary rules will make risk less awful?

None. Risk is awful because it's an awful system. Play a real wargame, like Empires in Arms or something.
>>
>>52263666
Standard strategy card are flawed. Use expansion ones.
>>
>>52262772
>tfw you hit everyone else with a satellite jammer right before you buy up every single nuke left in the deck and play the Armageddon card (all nukes can be played for free)
Cleansing the world in nuclear hellfire never felt so sweet
>>
File: super risk.png (128KB, 932x1536px) Image search: [Google]
super risk.png
128KB, 932x1536px
>>52256949
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.