[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Dear God Save Us Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 44

File: konosuba 1.gif (2MB, 540x307px) Image search: [Google]
konosuba 1.gif
2MB, 540x307px
>New UA: The Mystic Class
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/mystic-class

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.me/5eg

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

How do you combat memes in your game, /5eg/?
>>
File: book-of-fecht7.jpg (135KB, 790x1024px) Image search: [Google]
book-of-fecht7.jpg
135KB, 790x1024px
>>52251988

that shit worth watching? i can't help but notice there's only one male character
>>
File: konosuba 2.gif (2MB, 540x306px) Image search: [Google]
konosuba 2.gif
2MB, 540x306px
>>52252031
It's a harem isekai series whose sole purpose is to take the absolute piss out of actual harem and isekai series. It's good fun, decent length (two 10-episode seasons + an OVA), and the wonky animation makes it more enjoyable. Good for a laugh and feeling good.
>>
>>52252031
It's ok. It's a parody on PnP games, JRPGs and harem animes.

The main character loathes the chicks and actively tries to prevent them from joining his group. The girls are all crazy and/or useless. No romantic tension at all. Watch if if you have too much spare time on your hands. Expect lots of sarcasm and JRPG tropes played with.
>>
File: Grimgar-poster.jpg (268KB, 747x1041px) Image search: [Google]
Grimgar-poster.jpg
268KB, 747x1041px
Watch this instead, it's about the worst tabletop party ever
>>
>>52252127
I love Dirt Farmer: The Anime.
>>
>>52251988
KAZUMA KAZUMA
>>
>anime shit as op image
>anime discussion in replies

I'm sorry, did I stumble into /pfg/ by mistake?
>>
>>52252546
Pull up a chair, anon. How's your 5e game(s) going?
>>
>>52252556
We lost yet another player today. Thinking of taking over as GM again.
>>
>>52252536
Yes, I'm Kazuma
>>
>>52252127
Grimgar is amazing, but it's a totally different feel than Konosuba.
Grimgar is a lot more emotional and tries to be more serious Whether it succeeds in this endeavor is up to the viewer, I personally love it , whereas Konosuba is just knee-slapping comedy.
Fuck this discussion should be on /a/.

>>52251988
>How do you combat memes
Honestly, as a DM, I just roll with them. If they're being too obnoxious and disruptive, I'll actually implement the memes into the story and then my usual PC's (3 different groups, about 12-14 people total) often just throw their hands up and say
>woah anon I was just kidding about that
And then we can resume.
If they think it's hilarious, and "accept" it, it usually ends up as a memorable story.

I could see how that wouldn't really work with autists, though.
>>
>>52252546

You stumbled onto /tg/
>>
>>52251988
What are they in 5e terms?
>>
>>52252657
Aqua is a cleric (probably life domain) who dumped the absolute fuck out of Int. She insists her background is that she is a goddess who got dragged into the world but no one (not even the DM) takes it seriously.

Kazuma is an arcane trickster rogue. The DM has taken pity on his poor rolls, giving him the Lucky feat for free, as well as expanding his spell selection. Realizing he's the only half-competent player, the DM continues to give him small +1s here and there to help the party survive.

Megumin is a refluffed red dragon sorcerer who has refused to cast anything but empowered fireballs since 5th level.

Darkness is a devotion paladin who dumped the absolute shit out of strength but has 20 Con and Tough.
>>
>>52252657
Int/Wis 8 cleric but goddess stats
Rogue skill monkey
Evoker Wizard who has a super strong daily and nothing else
Paladin with high HP but shit to hit also likes taking damage all the time.
>>
Not really the thread for it, but anyone familiar with Dark Sun lore?
>>
>>52249714
>don't describe that there are kids to the players
>don't let them know there are kids when they're literally burning to death
>have mercenaries come after the party for something you didn't describe to them at any point so they had no way of knowing of it

>gm: you murdered kids
>players: fuck you
>>
>>52252657
Cleric with some sort of water or healing related domain
Arcane Trickster
Sorcerer
Thematically Paladin of the Crown, but fighter is probably more accurate
>>
>>52252703
>>52252705
>>52252737
I'd argue Darkness is a zealot barbarian. She never really does paladin things aside from standing in front of the party and taking hits, and is primarily motivated by her raging emotions.
>>
How does the Swashbuckler compare to the other rogue archetypes?
>>
okay which one of you fuckers keeps posting spider threads
>>
>>52252768
Its the fightiest Rogue Archtype. Guaranteed Sneak attacks every turn.
>>
>>52252768
Easiest archetype for getting sneak attack, so it's probably one of the better ones depending on your party makeup.
>>
File: caim.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
caim.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
>>52252722
>>
>>52252703
Darkness actually has extremely high STR as well, but for some reason she keeps insisting to use her dumped DEX for attack rolls.
>>
>>52252643
Good God anon, I can't believe you actually like Grimgar.

I was beginning to think I was actually the only one.
>>
>>52252703
Darkness is a bit wonky.
She is physically strong but lacks proficiency with her weapons somehow and Dex is the key of hit calculation in that world....which is also her dumpstat.
Just imagine her being THAT GUY who pissed of the DM by using a bunch of homebrew to build a wall.
>>
So, anons, is there supposed to be a new Unearthed Arcana out tomorrow? If yes, any ideas what it'll be? We got the Mystic last week.
>>
>>52252864
Obviously about food
>>
>>52252864
There's been no news of a delay, so expect one.

On a similar note, the D&D Beyond open beta starts on Monday.
>>
Hey /5eg/ give me some dumb low level cheese builds.

So far my favorite is Scourge Aasimar fiendlock with the UA evocation Cloak of Baalzebul.

Granted you have at least 18 Charisma at level 5, casting the cloak, your race ability, and the flame shield you get from fiendlock deals 2d6+8 damage a turn for everything within 5 feet of you along with an additional 5 damage when you hit a spell or attack.
>>
Lalatina
>>
File: the-flash-main_1[1].jpg (48KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
the-flash-main_1[1].jpg
48KB, 620x349px
Best character build for being as fast as possible? I'm assuming Monk levels, but anything else?
>>
>>52252864
Speaking of the Mystic I fucking love playing as a Nomad
>>
>>52252892
whoops meant to say 8 damage being near you, with the 2d6 if they attack you. Its been a long night.
>>
>>52252907
be a wood elf, take mobile
>>
>>52252657

Megumin - either Fire Wu Jen using DETONATION, or Favoured Soul sorcerer (she claims to be a reincarnated God of destruction) who only ever uses Fireball at max level.

Aqua - Life cleric with an elite array that somehow got her Int below 8 to grab the Performance proficiency and the Actor feat. Claims to be her own patron God.

Aqua - A paladin player who asked the DM to double her Hp and max out her Str to use with the grapler feat in exchange of loosig proficiency with weapons and dumping Dex.

Kazuma - That guy who played a Variant Human Arcane Trickster 4/Lore Bard 4/Battle master Archer 4 with the lucky feat. Oh yeah he also went with the 14/14/14/12/12/12 array and spent his ASI-s on Feats like the Skilled feat, Sharpshooter and Skulker.
>>
>>52252921

I don't just mean movement speed, I mean as many actions as possible too. Anyway I could have Monk levels, Haste, and Action Surge?
>>
File: 5e fastbaxi plus.png (286KB, 783x363px) Image search: [Google]
5e fastbaxi plus.png
286KB, 783x363px
>>52252907
>>
>>52252907
Wood Elf with mobile, grab a few levels in Rogue for free Dash and two levels in Fighter for Action Surge.

Then simply tripledash for about 480 ft.
>>
Why would you use anything but minor illusion? Minor, Silent, and Major all have the same check.
>>
File: 1456408479594.png (459KB, 806x343px) Image search: [Google]
1456408479594.png
459KB, 806x343px
>>52252127
I like Grimgar too, but you're right.
>The second best melee fighter is the healer
>In a high lethality setting
>The character with the highest STR is a ranger who almost exclusively uses her bow
Come on guys!
>>
I want to give my players xp for more than just combat. What is a good way of going about doing this?
>>
>>52253058
good role playing if you're running a campaign like that
>>
>>52253058
Ask them if they have any small or large goals and award them respectively
>>
>>52253090

What campaigns do you run/play in *other* than that?
>>
>>52253058
Do what the DMG suggests: give them XP based on the encounter difficulty tiers for their level when they finish important non-combat encounters.
>>
>>52253118
its hard to make a campaign about roleplay with a gun to your head
>>
>>52253125

...What are you talking about? All I'm asking is what kind of campaigns you run/play in...
>>
>>52253155
yea no problem man, we all make mistakes.
>>
Anons? A convert from 4e here. I like 5e, for the most part, but there are some classes from 4e I miss. Do you think there are any 4e classes that could thematically get converted over? If yes, how?

Like...

Avenger: This was basically a divinely ordained assassin, so I could probably see this as a new Rogue subclass with some extra stabby features and access to low-level clerical spells. Or it could be a more killy-focused Paladin, maybe?

Runesmith: Honestly, I really think it'd be a good "magic focused" subclass for the Artificer they brought out this year, although I confess I haven't the first clue how to make it work.

Warden: Fighter subclass with some specialized shapeshifting, maybe?

Invoker: Okay, with the loss of the Combat Roles, I'm not sure how this differs from the bog-standard Cleric anymore, but still, I really liked this class.
>>
>>52253238

I dunno, man. 5E players seem to be a bunch of boring normies. I think you should just find something better than D&D.

Avenger: Paladin Archetype that loses spell slots, and instead gains uses of Smite that would end up being more than what they could get as base paladin.
>>
>>52253270
Being normal is somehow considered bad, you fucking wat.
>>
>>52253283

When being "normal" involves a lack of creativity, innovation, and just rolling dice with no characterization, then yeah.

Hopefully that's not you?
>>
>>52253307
>that projection
How did us normies hurt you?
>>
File: Capture.png (478KB, 645x332px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
478KB, 645x332px
Posted this once before, still considering how unbalanced it'd be.

>Race: Oni
>Size: Medium
>Speed: 30 feet
>STR+2, CHA+1

>Rapid Healing- If you are below half your hit point maximum and not unconscious at the start of your turn, you regain 1 hit point. If you take acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of your next turn. In addition, you have advantage on death saving throws and become conscious with 1 hp after passing 3.
>Powerful Build- You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
>Change Shape- You can magically polymorph into a Small or Medium humanoid. Other than your size, your statistics are the same in each form. The only equipment that is transformed is one weapon, which shrinks so that it can be wielded in humanoid form. If the you die, you revert to your true form, and your weapon reverts to its normal size.
>Oni Magic- When you reach 5th level, you can cast the darkness spell once per day; you can't do so again using this trait until you finish a long rest. Starting at 13th level, you can also cast Regenerate on yourself with this trait. Once you cast it, you can't do so again using this trait until you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
>>
Sup /5eg/, I'm looking at ways of expanding the list of familiars, kind of like the old Improved Familiar feat in 3rd/3.5e/PF, and having something different from the list of animals.

Has anybody devised particular house rules, or is there a DM Guild/Unearthed Arcana, that touches on ways to bring back this sort of functionality? I've already browsed through the Monster Manual and saw the Imp Familiar stuff:

>The imp can enter into a contract to serve another creature, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master. <stuff> If its master violates the terms of the contract, the imp can end its service as a familiar, ending the telepathic bond.

From that, I kind of had the idea of working somewhere along a Planar Binding, since familiars in 5e by the spell are Celestials, Fey, or Fiends. So the wizard or sorcerer (or warlock) would first conjure the appropriate creature, bind it to a circle or similar, and then use Planar Binding (some sort of special usage, I am thinking, so normal Planar Binding duration wouldn't apply) to enter a contract with the creature where it serves as a familiar and gains all of the Familiar benefits, in exchange for something from the caster.

Obviously the creature would have more latitude than most familiars, since the contract is what's governing it. I even wondered if it would be worth considering the possibility of opening it up to familiars that are stronger than the norm (def. not greater devils/demons and shit though, that'd be stupid), if the caster can give an appropriate contract with appropriate difficulty. I'm really wary about doing it but, because stronger celestials/fey/fiends have a lot more that they can do.

So looking at all this, does /5eg/ have any suggestions, prior experience with familiars I'd need to take into account, or other criticisms of the idea?
>>
>>52253270
Another thing that made Avenger different from paladin was that it used no armor or light armor, like a monk or rogue.
>>
>>52253357
Dude, it's probably Virt or one of the retards who agree with him, just let it go, or he'll keep shitting the thread up like they did the last one.
>>
>>52253451
No worries, when is Yawning coming out?
Are people excited for it?
>>
>>52253408
Make it a Goliath variant
>>
>>52253357

Just personal experience with Adventurer's League. I don't think it's projection, but I probably am mistakenly attributing boring, vapid gameplay with 5E because that's when I first tried playing sanctioned events at local stores.

>>52253451

Who's Virt?
>>
File: mimics.gif (2MB, 500x206px) Image search: [Google]
mimics.gif
2MB, 500x206px
What CR/stat block would a Mimic (From Edge of Tomorrow) be?

As of now all I have is

>Size- Large
>Speed- 70 ft, swim 70 ft, burrow 30 ft
>Whirlwind Attack/multiattack obviously
>Some kind of ranged attack akin to Firebolt

reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiKeTPL6HPk

Thinking of running a Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow themed short campaign where it's the entire party reliving the day, would be using these Mimics as spawn of some GOO
>>
>>52253518
24th or 26th, I believe and IDK haven't heard much here.
>>52253540
A psychopath with delusions of grandeur in his local rpg scene, he gets off on fantasizing murdering women and elves in disgustingly sick ways, and no I am not joking.
>>
>>52253447
>Yep with is why it would better suited to as a archetype for monk or rogues sines it is basically a assassin with holy powers.
>>
>>52253540
A lot of the people who play in the AL are the worst of the worst, either because they got kicked out of their group or no one wanted to play with them.
Others enter the AL to get a taste of what RPGs are like, it's probably their first time playing, think back to when you first played, did you feel awkward?
>>
Put 4 Illithid in front of 5 level 5's in the Night Below game.

I promise it made sense at the time.

I have a week until the next game, how do I not TPK them?
>>
>>52253677
Conviently have someone stronger drop in, or lower the Illithid's stats and explain it as some kind of sickness.
>As you inspect the bodies you notice blackened veins snake across them
>>
>>52253677
Make them Illithid outcasts who were stripped of the greater part of their psionic abilities. and basically only have telepathy left.
>>
>>52253677
Just stat them weaker. If you need to justify it you could say they were starved some strange parasite has hit their group (coven? hive? I'm not sure what they would use here) or something, but it's not like you're required to use the exact profiles from the monster manual
>>
>>52253677
A purple wurm squishes half of them.
A bulette smashes in from the ceiling and kills some.
Flumphs come to help.
One of the mindflayers has a stroke, they need to call him an ambulance so only one of them stays to fight.
Rocks fall, illithids die.
Upon closer inspection it's not actually mindflayers, but 3 goblins (each) on each others shoulders wearing a squid hat.
>>
File: 1489174881712.png (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489174881712.png
75KB, 800x600px
Now that the shit show seems done with.

So my PC's today learned the hard way that their actions have consequences and sometimes in the worst possible way.
>Fight a group of 4 knights harassing a family of Tieflings
>They kill one damage the leader and two others
>The Barb tosses the leader about 10 feet diagonally
>Sorcerer Thunderwaves him 10 feet from her
>He runs and mounts a horse
>They run and try to kill or knock down the horse
>Fail
>Last PC near the enemies runs and kills the horse
>Leaves the family near two enemies
>They now have the mom and youngest boy hostage
>Failed intimidation and then kill the leader
>The two knights slit their hostages throats and go to attack the last two

They managed to kill the last two, one literal had 1 HP before they all decided to attack the guy on the horse. So anyone else ever had PCs handle a situation so poorly that you put them through the emotional wringer?

>Mfw the last guy leaves people obviously hostile to this family alone with them
>>
>>52253736
Enclave.
>>
>>52253782
Nobody answered because nobody cared, that has not changed, your PC's were stupid, nothing new. *claps*
>>
>>52253174

So what kind of campaigns do you run/play in?
>>
>>52253789
Was wondering if the PCs I run for were just that dumb or if it's normal and now I know.
>>
>>52253677
This:
>>52253698
Except rather than just generally lower their stats, use it as an excuse for them to either not use their Devour Brain ability (their tentacles are deformed, withered and sickly-looking) or to cut the damage on their Mind Blast
>>
>>52253238
I got your back anon

>Avenger: Either Vengance Paladin, or Hexblade Warlock with the Blade Pact and Armor of Shadows ability

>Runesmith: Sozzo, nothing her.

>Warden: Storm Herald Barbarian fits the controller set when they rage (but not much else), and Primeval Guardian Ranger is literally based on Warden's skill set.

>Invoker: Raven Queen warlock, light cleric.
>>
>>52251988
Memes aren't really a problem in my game. The setting is already pretty trope heavy, and our group has a relaxed, "let's not be too serious" attitude towards sessions. Cracking jokes and making light of the situation is to be expected, so if a meme is uttered or referenced everyone gets it and moves on.
>>
since we are talking bout anime, I'm looking for setting were anyone can use magic that doesn't full retarded harem/powerlevel shit like touma does.
>>
File: image.jpg (366KB, 925x1176px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
366KB, 925x1176px
So how does one create a decent artificer (alchemist)? It seems at earlier levels it's pretty shit, and only really opens up once you hit level 9.
>>
File: 1475442863863.gif (94KB, 254x450px) Image search: [Google]
1475442863863.gif
94KB, 254x450px
I need help.
Someone is doing a watery Lovecraftian game for me and I'm torn between Bard and Paladin, I know nowt about 5E and I'm looking for a bit of a skill monkey-ing type.
What are my options basically, I know 5E is a lot more versatile than 3.5 so a Paladin might be viable, but I don't know enough about either class to know how they roll.
>>
>>52253980
If you want a skill monkey type go with a bard.
>>
File: image.jpg (104KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 566x800px
>>52253980
Paladin gets at best (unless you pick a race that gives them skill proficiencies) 4
Bard gets 5, and then some more if you pick Lore College, and can have double Proficiency in a few of them.
Still, go with paladin.
>>
>>52253677
There's this short story i read in dragon + about a flumph rescuing some dudes trapped by illithids, try having the illithids imprisoning the party for later experimentation and have flumph mc goodguy save them.
>>
>>52253834
Yeah I should have been more specific, I agree with lowering their abilities, mind last mostly because with four of them that shit would stack hard.
>>
>>52253998
What're the benefits of Paladin'ing it up over Bard-modo?
>>
>>52254018
Being a paladin and at sixth or so level you add your charisma to ally saving throws
>>
>>52253677
Illithids mind control them, then after some time something weird happends and illitids die
>>
>>52251988
>How do you combat memes in your game, /5eg/?
Before we begin I tell my new players to take making and playing their characters seriously.

This occasionally requires clarification that I'm not saying "everyone must play the grim and gritty action bastard and nobody may have any fun OOC", but usually we fall into the happy medium of characters who aren't either bland murderhobos or walking memes without issue.
>>
>>52253677
The Illithids need quick and easy muscle for something so they mind control the party and bring them to the other fight, against gith or something.

Then you have the mind controlled party help the illithid fight a bunch of gith and make sure the gith prioritize the illithids
>>
>>52252556
>haven't played in months due to a new person being on vacation every session or deaths in someone's family
>hey let's get the gang together this friday
>oops my grandma is in the hospital now
>hey lets get the gang together two days later
>oops my grandpa is in the hospital now
what horrors will this next week bring
>>
>>52251988

When I get to finally getting a physical copy of the primary books (not looking to get the APs just yet) any meme related shit will be taken out in the non story setting I'm making.

Essentially, as a newbie gm, I came up with the idea of a ultra meta setting that exist outside of all potential settings in DND which for me allows me to test anything and everything without committing to anything in a setting and most games/gaming will take place their. Beyond that, the characters will have no recollection of ever being there if an AP is ran or if I do my own homebrew shit.

Long story short. provide an outlet for meme fuckery as well as give me the ability to see how x number group of y classes do against z challenges.
>>
>>52253677
Show the party the illithid stat block and remind them that ranged weapons exist.

With enough space to run and enough arrows, no one should ever die to an illithid.
>>
File: drbronner.png (235KB, 1531x1070px) Image search: [Google]
drbronner.png
235KB, 1531x1070px
>playing a GOOlock
>taking a dump at DM's house while the Rogue is off doing stupid shit
>reading all the shampoo bottles in reach
>get to something like this
>tfw I suddenly realize where the DM got the idea for my patron
>>
>>52253677
Have them get captured and the guy with no melee capabilities gets flensing claws from VGtM
>>
>>52253976

Honestly? Make something other than an artificer and just fluff your abilities as technogubbins. As is, it's a mediocre class apart from getting a jetbike mount at level 6.
>>
>>52251988
>Worst OP I've ever seen
>Discord link included
Like clockwork.
>>
>>52254117
>oops my grandpa's mistress who is my actual grandma is in the hospital now
>>
Been put of the loop lately, what was /tg/s judgment on the new version of the mystic? Seemed kinda strong but otherwise solid and interesting to me.

I also get the sense that you could build an entire set of classes for basically a different game using its mechanical premise.
>>
So, /5eg/, what's your favorite discipline from mystic?
What's your favorite power from that discipline?
Personally I'm really liking combustion from Mastery of Fire.
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 500x500px
>>52254307
Basically, mystic is second best at everything it tries to do when attempting to copy another class.
It's heals are too erratic until level 6 to be worth any sort of healing focus, its status clears make the target immediately capable of being hit by the effect again, it being a skill monkey doesn't give it expertise, stuff like that.
When it tries to be its own thing however, is when the mystic really shoots off.
Avatar is a battlefield leader the sorts of which 5e really needed, and has been clamoring for (in the form of warlord).
Wu Jen is four elements monk done right, another thing 5e really wanted,and it has really cool takes on elemental powers that nobody else can really take on.
Immortal is fucking horrifying on a battlefield but doesn't really get much else going for it.
Nomad is fun as fuck in being the teleport asshole that is never really in the same spot twice.
Soul Knife is an excellent Gish, being able to basically make their attacks a reverse save from 4e
The class is very well designed in that it looks OP as fuck on paper, but it doesn't actually stand out all that much from the other classes statistically. It plays like a leaky battery, worse so than, say, wizard, as you never really *want* to use those talents because everything else is so cool, plus managing psi feels more in-depth than spell slots.
>>
>>52254307
It needs to be toned down to 3-5 subclasses instead pf 28 pages of homebrew.

The other features may as well be divided among mystic sub-classes for other classes or integrated into classes they fit more... Like Wu Jen features being integrated into a rework of the monk class.
>>
>>52254362
So you're saying you want mystic as like three different classes that can all multiclass into each other?
>>
>>52254370
Arcane Tricksters can multiclass into Wizards so i see no problems there.

You can make subclasses for Fighters that are Con or Wis dependent instead of Int or a Rogue subclass that is Cha dependent so Multiclassing gets disabled by making it MAD.
>>
>>52254362
Wu Jen as part of monk makes the single best scrapper/controller into one of the best classes in the game by giving it crazy AOEs and field control powers too.
Monks already are the second strongest DPS in the game, literally two points behind paladin. Giving them AOE and field control makes them the singular best class in the game.
>>
File: UA_Rune_Magic_Prestige_Class.pdf (121KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA_Rune_Magic_Prestige_Class.pdf
121KB, 1x1px
>>52253238
>>52253841
UA has a prestige class that's thematically similar to the Runesmith. Maybe couple it with the Wizard Artificer school from the Eberron UA.
>>
>>52254398
>>52254385
Furthermore, Wu Jen (and mystic as a whole, really) can play as a monk fairly well as far as flavor, due to the supernatural martial arts style of things that the class is capable of.
It's why 4e monk was Psionic, even.
>>
File: sorry fam.jpg (51KB, 605x605px) Image search: [Google]
sorry fam.jpg
51KB, 605x605px
>After years of adventuring, you finally fulfil your dreams of becoming a master Mystic.
>You live happily, though once a bit of an eccentric hermit, you've come to cherish the friends you've made adventuring.
>One by one, your friends succumb to the ravishes of ageing.
>At least you still have your studies.
>Over decades, centuries, millennia you seek out every scrap of knowledge you can, but as time passes, less and less wonders are new to you.
>Eventually, nothing satisfies your passions.
>The world has little to offer anymore, you are overcome by a ever-present sense of emptiness.
>You decide your time has come, you try to end your life.
>It's over.
>You discorporate, awakening days later.
>You try again and again, ever more desperate but you just can't stay dead.
>Eons have passed
>This nightmare never ends.
>Nothing eases your suffering.
>Your mind is a constant fever, yearning for the sweet embrace of non-existence; forever out of your reach.
>>
>>52254362
28 pages isn't that bad, compared to what it takes just to play a wizard. Disciplines are far more efficient.
>>
>>52254499
>Can't kill self because come back
>50% chance of coming back
Fucking loaded dice right there
>>
How would you handle a BBEG who can magically cause the PCs to believe false things, or edit the PC's memories?
>>
>>52254571
Scrap the idea and try something else.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12550821

Remember, this is a multiple option poll.

The options in those poll were gathered from the most highly voted options from other polls.
>>
If my character is a tiefling Raven Queen warlock, does my character gain darkvision while looking out of the raven's eyes?
>>
>>52254583
Not helpful.
>>
File: 1487622987816.jpg (186KB, 1000x911px) Image search: [Google]
1487622987816.jpg
186KB, 1000x911px
>>52252127
>worst tabletop party ever

are you sure about that?
>>
>>52253056
That way she can use a powerful warbow and not tire after shooting two arrows, duh.
>>
>>52254499
>And so, a BBEG is born
>>
>>52252907
Wood elf eagle totem barbarian with mobile and magic initiate (longstrider) feats is a character I've done.
Rogue/fighter/monk shenanigans can also work well.
>>
>>52254642
OK, if you actually have players that can go along with it, maybe it can work. But you're not just presenting challenges here, you're actively compromising their characters and their agency. It's not good practice.
>>
>>52253056
Hey, Herakles was a bow user!
>>
>>52254699
I never understood this idea. We're playing an RPG where character death is possible. Character death eliminates a character and it's agency far more than letting the players be affected by mind affecting spells does.

Character death is just as bad or good a practice as mind affecting spells. Rocks fall, everyone dies is the equivalent of "Okay rick, you are now sexually attracted to bob, roleplay it out." The paladin dying a heroic death to a lieutenant of the BBEG, giving his life to save orphans from the evil ritual is the equivalent of doing Total Recall for your players.
>>
>>52254852
>Rocks fall, everyone dies is the equivalent of "Okay rick, you are now sexually attracted to bob, roleplay it out."
I don't think you know what agency means, at all.
>>
>>52254883
In the context of roleplaying games, agency means control over one's character. One has no control over their character after the character is dead.
>>
>>52254900
That's like saying you have less agency because you got disarmed, or couldn't show up to play. Agency is compromised by making their decisions for them, or redefining the character contrary to the players intent.

If you really want to do this, don't tell them what they know or what they think. Simply describe what they experience according to their new forced perspective.

Note this only helps the gameplay along, but the consequences of their actions will still be frustrating. Telling them that those goblins they killed were actually halfling schoolchildren probably won't go over well.
>>
>>52254561
Or just profoundly unlucky.
>>
>>52254307
I'd like to see Mystic with less access to disciplines and less access to non-archetype disciplines (Like, say, 6 total with 3 non-archetype, a selection of immortal and nomad being archetype for Soul Knives).

I'd also like to see them with some sort of archetype-based "advanced discipline" that gives them access to powers of the sort you get as a full spellcaster at spell levels 6-9. It really bugs me that Nomad doesn't get a teleport with a range over 1 mile or Plane Shift and Awakened doesn't get Magic Jar.

tl;dr They feel like a versatile half-caster with a lot of spell slots and I'd like them more if they were a more specialized full-caster
>>
>>52254951
Yeah, I can redefine their character by making their character dead without giving them a chance to do anything about it.\

I think you're retarded at this point, and am questioning why I even asked for advice from this thread.
>>
>>52254981
>>52254951
To add on: what you just suggested is the most basic, most obvious idea ever. I'm looking for ways to make it interesting, not run of the mill.
>>
>>52254571
Just straight up lie to the players

If a player makes a good history check or something make up a lie and then later on reveal that the lie was from the bad guy
>>
>>52252722

Man, I remember when I ran Curse of Strahd.

Protip: DON'T MAKE TATYANA'S REINCARNATION A PC. It's not a good idea. You'd think it's a great plot hook, but IT ISN'T.
>>
>>52254991
It's an incredibly awkward effect to implement. That reason alone is enough for me not to attempt it.
>>
>>52255017
Sounds like the voice of experience. What happened?
>>
For use with Command, what additional languages wouls see the most use generally? All goblinoids know common, at least with my DM, and I get the feeling fey and fiends would too

Maybe undercommon?
>>
>>52255131
Go through the monster manual and count how often languages come up
>>
>>52255131
Remember that being able to communicate isn't the end all be all. Being able to talk to someone in their preferred language can be used for roleplay purposes. A measure of respect can be earned, perhaps. Not that you'd deserve it.
>>
Just asking curiously but has the roll 20 Monster Manual Tokens been ripped yet?
>>
What good is taking the feet Weapon Finesse fir touch spells?

I have a male kitsune sorcerer. Not weebing, just wanted a race with natural bonus to disguise checks
>>
File: 1477343161869.png (77KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
1477343161869.png
77KB, 300x188px
My brain is melting. What determines how many languages a PC starts with?
>>
>>52255219
Race + Class + Background
>>
>>52255249
Only Race + Background
>>
>>52255261
>>52255249
Ah, thanks.
>>
>>52255102

The campaign rapidly became a race to stop the female PC and Strahd from fucking. No joke.

Instead, consider making a male PC Strahd's reincarnated brother and the rightful lord. It's more dramatic that way.
>>
>>52252907
If you want a 'normal' build that isn't focused on being as fast as possible, but being fast and using that speed effectively, go monk and get the mobile feat. Move in, attack, move as far away as possible.

Otherwise, go for that meme tabaxi build.
>>
>>52254571
Scrap the part that requires you to have players roleplay it out unless you're playing a heavily roleplay focused campaign.

For false things, simply give lots of lies, but make sure there are also ways the players can prove to themselves that they've been lied to.
'Just so you know, the sky in my setting is red.'
'Oh, okay.'
Then later
'You come out of the cave, back under the vast blue heavens...'
'I thought you said the sky was red?'
'Yes, it is red.'
'But then why are we under blue?'
'I don't know. Aren't you under a red sky?'
'I look up. What colour is the sky?'
'Red, like the colour of those flowers you picked earlier.'
'Weren't those flowers blue?'
'Are you sure those flowers aren't red?'
They look at the flowers.
'Those flowers are blue.'
'So you're telling me the sky is blue?'
'Reconsidering things, it does appear the sky is blue. The sky always has been blue. The real question now is why your character was made to think the sky wasn't blue.''

.. Of course, this could be pretty obnoxious too when people are unlikely to ask that many questions rather than just say 'Oh, okay', and it might also frustrate players if you do it wrong because it end up being
DM: 'False information'
Player: 'Okay. I use false information'
DM: 'Ha ha, you're wrong.'
Player: 'But you just told me that information before?'

Drop hints and clues that help players realize what they've been told might be wrong. Deliberately contradict yourself and encourage questioning of it.
>>
>>52252722
If you burn down an entire village, the GM doesn't need to tell you that you killed children. How fucking retarded are you?

Even if the kids miraculously survived, they no longer have parents and will die anyway.

Don't be mad at the GM for being evil dicks. If you want to be an evil psychopath, then cool, but don't be mad at the GM because you start to feel responsible for fictional characters' death.

Had 2 evil parties. 1 was reasonable, and pretty fun, and ended up being sorta anti-villians. The other... They had the retarded idea that I should never shove the facts of the evil they had done in their face.

I thought the point of being evil, was doing horrible shit, and dealing with the aftermath? Whats the point of doing evil shit if literally nobody cares?
>>
>>52255570
>What sthe point of doing evil shit if literally nobody cares?
Because people want to simulate them doing stupid stuff in games where they can put a pot over someone's head, steal everything then just walk out with the pot.
>>
My GM wants to play Curse of Strahd. I have a sorta bad feeling, because he wants me to make the reincarnation of his love of something. Not too familiar with the story, but I am pretty worried he'll be doing weird things throughout the campaign.

What stat should I make sure to boost and be proficient in to help me avoid charms and that kind of stuff? I have a feeling Ill be facing a lot of saves...
>>
>>52255584
Then go play Skyrim.

I love evil campaigns because people DO care, and not in the retarded "everybody knows you assassinated that random dude in the dark cave, even if literally nobody should even be aware of the fact that he is dead yet. And now you have to pay a fucking fine."
>>
>>52255612
>he wants me to make the reincarnation of his love of something
Don't, this is a bad idea.
>>
>>52255634
He says it ia necessary, and has a rule about only playing your own gender, which just leaves me as thr option.

Should I just bail? Or can I mitigate this somehow?
>>
>Low level campaign ( 1-5 )
>Killing monsters doesn't give experience
>Neither does completing "story" arcs

>Only discovering dungeon treasure gives XP

Would this even work? I know later editions aren't designed around this at all. But since bounded accuracy means that levels aren't as vital to character competency I think it might work out.
>>
File: Bugbearmont.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bugbearmont.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>52255612
Be a Paladin, become Immune to charm.

or be Bugbearmont
or be BOTH
>>
>>52255671
Absolutely. I'm planning this right now.

Make sure

A) All characters have a reason to obtain treasure. Either 1. Treasure is some sort of magical item that needs to be stolen from monsters to keep peace and treasure somehow empowers the people who own it (Say, it was all forged in hell and some shit) and perhaps you can add things like NPCs no longer accept normal treasure in fear of monsters attacking them for it (They trade in a harmless currency instead) or... 2. They're all greedy, greedy bastards, or 3. They all have goals they need money to achieve.
B) Players are in dungeons. Very frequently.
C) When players aren't in dungeons, they're often paid to exterminate a monster or paid to do this or that.
>>
How does /5eg/ feel about giving a free level at the end of a session and not worrying about exp?

I had my first session on Saturday and my DM wants to take us to level 2 straight away. The whole party are martials (paladin,monk,fighter) and he said he feels that we'll be bored at low levels not having anything to do but attacking in combat.
I'm not totally averse to the idea of free level ups but I know that I had fun and I'm pretty sure everyone else did too so I don't think it's necessary.

Should I say anything or is it not worth it? I honestly think it would be fun to have to work to get exp and level up and I don't feel I've earned it.
>>
>>52255671
Sounds boring as fuck.

Most classes get nothing of worth pre-level 3.
>>
>>52255720
To be fair to him, the book says you should get a good chunk of xp per session. If nothing else, just say you're starting at level 2-3 and just go from there.

You don't always have to be Frodo working your way up.
>>
>>52255654
Sounds like it's going to become dangerously magical realm.

I don't get why it is important. The book gives you an NPC to use for her anyway.

>>52255674
Being a Bugbear, Warforged or something else unsexually interesting might be funny. Funny might not be very fitting for Gothic Horror though.
>>
>>52255654
>has a rule about only playing your own gender
Is this a houserule he has? Because I just finished CoS and half of the party was dudes playing as women. If it's his own houserule, then he's using CoS as his own magical realm between him and you. Yes, bail.
>>
Can you guys help me refluff the Psion class? I like it, but I think the fluff behind it is kind of silly and a bit snowflakey. I want it to still focus on the intelligence part, but something other then "oh yeah your basically a super hero"
>>
>>52252720
A while back, but sure, what's your question?
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 950x670px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 950x670px
>>52254974
That's because mystic isn't the same as a caster.
For a normal caster, they have 6-9th level spells as their "second tier" of power.
This is why half and third casters cap out before then, because the power jump is supposed to be the reason to play those casters.
Mystic's second tier isn't 6-9th level casting equivalents, it's multi concentration drifting so many times a day, which lets them do all sorts of cool shit.
Also limiting their choices *forces* builds, rather than encouraging like the rest of 5e does.
Even with eldritch knights and arcane tricksters, they can still pick between two schools to use.
Encouraging using disciplines of their schools is better, rather than forcing.
>>
What are some good options for 5th level spells that aren't wall of force because that shit is broken
>>
>>52254499
And you silly kids just HAD to wonder how the Elder Things were born.
>>
>>52255815
>Your powers are born from incursions of the weird shit that makes up the far realm, because shit is cray, and the mere existence of these powers is proof that the world is doomed to tentacled freaks coming. You have visions of what's to come every time you use your powers, and they drive you to strengthen your mind through doing odd things to focus, even to you.
>>
>>52255815
Maybe make it like the Fraternity of Order (the Guvners) from Planescape?

There are Laws to the universe. Truths. Facts. These describe the way the universe behaves in extraordinarily complex but reliable ways. Even Chaos can be predicted if the algorithm is complex enough.
And if you learn these Laws, you can learn their loopholes. See, if a cutter figures out the natural Laws of the Multiverse too, then he'll not only understand how to follow them better, but he'll also know what loopholes exist. Some Guvners have discovered and exploited these loopholes, granting them strange and useful powers, like magic, but not. One factor's reportedly able to open his own portals, another can slip into the Astral Plane at will.
>>
>>52255722
This is exactly why I want low level campaign.
If you need dozens of mechanics to have fun then you're not the kind of player I'm looking for anyways.
>>
>>52255654
Bail, or fuck with.

Play a lizardwoman from Volo's guide. Be completely oblivious to the idea of love.
>>
>>52255815
Just make them to the Monk what Druids are to Rangers or Rogues to fighters.
>>
>>52255612
Wow, someone literally just posted about this
>>52255017
>>
>>52255548
Thanks, I'll work that into it. Good stuff
>>
>>52255894
>Play a lizardwoman from Volo's guide. Be completely oblivious to the idea of love.

This is actually happening in our campaign.
I bought a friend Curse of Strahd and Volo's Guide to Monsters for his birthday, so the group wanted to try both at once.
We ended up all playing Lizard People. We ruled as a group that the Mists twisted us to appear human due to the cultural climate of Ravenloft, but we have some really alien outlooks on things despite our appearance.
>>
>>52255815
You're a fighter, who uses advanced engineering knowledge to create devices. Your psi points are "supply" points, which are refreshed every long rest by your trusty servants using the supply lines you establish.
>>
>>52255947
I actually really like this idea, any tips on expanding it to the other disciplines though like the mantles?
>>
>>52255892
Levels one and two don't feel like much of anything at all.
>>
>>52256081
That's what roleplaying is for.
Not everyone likes super hero power fantasy.
You must hate OSR, there's practically zero character options at all.
>>
>>52255570
they burned down a building to kill hags in it
>>
>>52253056
>The second best melee fighter is the healer
So?
Since we are in dnd thread, he was a cleric, d8 hit die, same attack bonus as others, ability to buff himself if needed, and he have to be in melee to give heals when needed.
Cleric is not bad choice for front line, too bad that his patron deity forbids armour, but that is other problem.

Also the were not so bad their first fight against goblin might be a result of shitty rolls, and later they got fucked by goblin version of Tucker's kobolds
>>
>>52255943
>appear human
>Not instead rulling that you are all dragonborns heirs of Argynvost

If you want to be gay I guess
>>
>>52255892
>Having less to choose from is more fun
>>
>>52256117
If that's the case why are you not playing a system with point buy? Then you wouldn't have to care about waiting to level up at all and could have all the abilities you want your character to have right out the gate!
>>
>>52256114
How are we supposed to know that existed ahead of time?
And it's the land of the mists. They think dwaves and elves are evil and untrustworthy. Being a monster race is going to get you chased out of town.
That's a good idea though, maybe my character can use that angle.
>>
>>52256097
Honestly, you're probably better off just doing collaborative roleplaying with d20s for when anything could go either way.

5e is set so that the first two levels are boring 'starter levels' and beyond that you start getting new ways to approach problems. You might get a new spell that allows you to approach a problem in a way you couldn't even attempt before.
>>
>>52256131
Stop being so defensive. Don't ask for advice or input and be a little bitch about what people say.
>>
>>52256131
I mean, isn't that kind of what level 3 is?
You can mix and match classes, there are different things to choose from, at level 4 you'll get to choose an ASI or a feat, and you can reach level 3 archetypes which allows you to better define your character.

And then you still get things when yo level up.
>>
>>52256144
>Honestly, you're probably better off just doing collaborative roleplaying with d20s for when anything could go either way.
Oh man this is hilarious. I'd show you /osrg/ but you'd probably shit it up.
>>52256152
I'm not being defensive, you are. If you cared about character options as much as you post, you would be playing a different system where you actually had more options to choose from.
>>52256159
Not even close. You can't pick and choose what exact abilities you have. For example, you can't start as a Barbarian and on level 3 decide you want to choose from the Rogue archetypes.
>>
>>52256176
>I'm not being defensive, you are.

No. That is the first time I have replied to you. You seem to be making the mistake that everyone is the same person. As an outside observer to your argument, you are being a bitch that clearly didn't want any advise in the first place, just a pat on the head and praise.
>>
>>52256097
Just a slight variant of the stormwind fallacy, then.
>>
>>52256143
>How are we supposed to know that existed ahead of time?

By consulting the psychic lady of course.
>>
>>52256176
>If you cared about character options as much as you post, you would be playing a different system where you actually had more options to choose from.
Not him, but it's less about have loads of options and more just having gameplay feel a different way. Sure rp is its own thing, but a combat role is also part of a character. You don't need to do a million different things, just a few things you do well.
>>
>>52252937
Good grief. That's almost Mach 2.
>>
>>52256227
We made the mistake of doing Death House first.
>>
>>52256187
>You seem to be making the mistake that everyone is the same person.
Nope. But just because you've only replied to me once doesn't mean you can't be defensive over the idea that people who like D&D for mechanics and options would be better off playing a point buy system.
>>52256199
No. I'm not saying anything about your role playing ability.
I'm saying I don't like the super hero fantasy that modern D&D is and was wondering if 5e was compatible with the "you're a scum vagrant who can't hack a legitimate job for whatever reason so you rob tombs and delve into dungeons" mindset rather than the modern "you are a HERO! Go heroically slay that evil lurking in the dungeon with the other HEROS"
>>52256233
>but a combat role is also part of a character.
And I also disagree with this. My original post: "Killing things would not give experience points". I'm in the camp of combat being a failure state, rather than a means and an end.
>>
>>52256253

Oh. My condolences then
>>
>>52256268
>Nope. But just because you've only replied to me once doesn't mean you can't be defensive over the idea that people who like D&D for mechanics and options would be better off playing a point buy system.

Yes it does because I never discussed that.
You need to take a step back and consider what is being said.
>>
With the mystic now fully testable, i'm yet again dancing around the idea of a mind flayer/illithid player character, probably tweaking slightly any of the +INT/+CHA races into it, but I obviously don't want it to be too retarded so I can actually use it in games/let my players use it without destroying the balance.

So what could be some not-completely-broken racials for a mind flayer PC and what could be a theme appropriate mystic build for such a PC?

I'm thinking mostly mind fuckery and mind blasting, but not sure which discipline would fit better with it.
>>
File: why didn't you report.gif (958KB, 270x180px) Image search: [Google]
why didn't you report.gif
958KB, 270x180px
>>52256284
>>52256233
>>52256199
Just report and ignore him. He's a shitposter, which is breaking the global rules.
>>
>>52256290

A refluffed Medium Sized Ghostwise Halfling
>>
>>52256268
>and was wondering if 5e was compatible with the "you're a scum vagrant who can't hack a legitimate job for whatever reason so you rob tombs and delve into dungeons" mindset rather than the modern "you are a HERO! Go heroically slay that evil lurking in the dungeon with the other HEROS"
It is, if you roleplay/DM that, but since that wasn't immediately obvious to you I think you'd struggle with the level of thought you'd need to put into that.
>I'm in the camp of combat being a failure state, rather than a means and an end.
A failure state of what? Sneaking? Diplomacy? Not every character is good at those things.
>>
>>52256290
You could take the Telepathy from the Ghost Halflings from the Sword Coast Adventures.
>>
>>52252931
Celerity spamming Wu Jen Mystic? You could also refluff some of the moves like Sudden Shift and Lightning Leap as moving very fast, and use your Wu Jen arcane dabbler to pick up Haste.

You get extra move speed from focusing Celerity and Mastery of Air.
>>
>>52256290

A charm Tiefling with Psychic and Necrotic resistance instead of Fire

A fallen Aasimar with Psychic instead of necrotic damage, and +1 Int instead of +1 STR
>>
>>52256284
>Yes it does because I never discussed that.
The concept of a rabid fanboy who feels the need to defend their product is not something alien.
It's far more likely you're an oversensitive fanboy in the D&D 5e thread where it's being criticized than me being defensive about a subject that wasn't even part of my original post in the reply chain.
Oh, kind of like >>52256309
>>52256322
>A failure state of what?
Getting the treasure, which was the goal of what I was going for in my original post >>52255671
You don't need to fight stuff to get treasure
Fighting stuff can get you killed, which stops you from getting treasure
Fighting delays you from getting treasure
A failure state.
>>
>>52256176
You can start as a level 1 barbariana nd then choose to take two levels in rogue.

Sure, it's not gestalt, but you have a lot more options from the get-go, you aren't going to get one-shotted at every corner and end up in a horrendous game of rocket tag and lastly, really...

Say you're a level 1 wizard. You have 2 spells a day. Maybe you want to use mage armour to have a half-decent AC. You now have one spell left every day. For, say, killing one creature, or something. You'll get arcane recovery to get another spell slot, but...

How're you going to 'roleplay to get more spell slots?'
Sure, you can try to find a way of dealing damage that isn't using a spell - Use your firebotl to sever the rope to the chandelier or something like that. But you're
A) Relying that players actually do that
B) Relying that you actually give your players lots of chances like that
and
C) Relying that players have the abilities required to do take advantage of those opportunities (Which is also another thing that comes with higher levels - more abilities to take advantage of).

I mean, if your players are into having less distinct characters, less to play with except for the environment and being incredibly squishy, I do sometimes enjoy that in games, especially where later on many things boild own to 'do the same overpowered thing repeatedly'... But I feel generally low level 5e combat is more likely to boil down to 'do the same thing repeatedly' than high level stuff.
>>
>>52253055
>Silent Image
Longer range, larger illusions possible, able to move the illusion
>Major Image
Even longer range, even larger illusions possible, able to move the illusion, can simultaneously include image AND sound AND scent AND temperature
>>
>>52256356
Stop being defensive. Stop projecting. Stop shitposting.
>>
>>52256268
>And I also disagree with this.
This is objectively false.

>I'm in the camp of combat being a failure state, rather than a means and an end.
That's a valid way to play, but being in combat can still happen, and maybe lead to something other than killing everything. But saying having no interesting gameplay there is some kind of a boon is nonsense.
>>
File: fellowship-of-the-ring.jpg (671KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fellowship-of-the-ring.jpg
671KB, 1920x1080px
Are we (me DMing) doing this right for Travel per Day and Resting? My players liked the overland travel in the Lost Mines starter set but we sorta had a light-way of doing it by just letting them travel as they saw fit and every 25 miles (the map being 5 miles per hex), I roll for random encounter.

We're now at Storm King's Thunder and they want a much more expanded overland travel as they go about Faerun punching giants. I wanna know if we're doing it right as I'm basing rules on the PHB with Travel per day and rests. So it goes like:

>Travel from Triboar to Yartar which is roughly 80 miles
>start point Triboar, move down the road to Yartar at the morning (leaving at 12nn). This is Day 1
>hit 24 miles, roll for random encounter, run into a Fire giant but stealthily escape
>24 miles is 8 hours worth of travel so it's now 8pm
>players decide to camp out while others keep watch cause of the Travel Per Day (24 miles a day) so that's a Long Rest for Day 1
>Players finally rest up at 4am and decide to leave for the Day 2 Travel to Yartar
>They travel 24 miles, roll encounter, Uthgardt barbarians! They run off to safety before stealing some of their gear and coin. It's now 12nn

Now here's the thing, since they hit their 24miles per day quota at this time, they decided to take a Long Rest to pass the time (not getting benefit due to 24 hour rule) but their Long Rest ends at 8pm which is still technically in the same day. Do they just sit put until 12mn or something? Ultimately, I told them that LR "resets" their 24 mile quota so they could move again cause I was unsure how to rule it if I was following the PHB.

Anyway, was it right how to go about it? My players had a lot of fun during the overland travel to Yartar with intense moments like the Fire giant, the world building and RPing around the campfire. Thing is, we were unsure about the Travel Per Day part and how it relates to Rest. Was hoping to get some things cleared up here and hopefully some suggestions.
>>
>>52256268
>Nope.
No, you were. Because you said
>If you cared about character options as much as you post
But there was no post. Just advice to stop being defensive, nothing about any system. So you're factually and provably making a mistake of thinking that post is by someone else.
>>
File: 1489907595782.jpg (2KB, 125x97px) Image search: [Google]
1489907595782.jpg
2KB, 125x97px
My thoughts about Verbal and Somatic components
Pls listen

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1PZAXSmffAD
>>
>>52256424
>>And I also disagree with this.
>This is objectively false.
Just realized I fucked the grammar. You know what I meant.
>>
>>52256268
>Combat is a state of failure

While D&D is normally 'Fight everything!', 'If you're in combat you fucked up' is kind of bad, too, especially for D&D.

I would rather say 'Combat is an option'. You should do combat when it's the best option. If your enemies have the advantage over you or it'll cause problems, avoid it. If you can get the jump on enemies and stop them interfering later, kill them.

I don't see why it wouldn't be 'combat is an option' unless you're playing a group of pacifists who have a divine rule against combat.

You really sound more like you're trying to restrict what your players can do than trying to open up options by making it so they don't just hit everything they see.
>>
Just going to ask straight up, what is the most broken class or classes in 5e in core and in UA?
>>
>>52256356
>A failure state.
Failure state implies you didn't succeed in your goal. You can still engage in combat and then subsequently achieve the goal of getting treasure.
>You don't need to fight stuff to get treasure
What if the stuff you're fighting is guarding the treasure?
>>
File: Somatic Component.gif (3MB, 464x351px) Image search: [Google]
Somatic Component.gif
3MB, 464x351px
>>52256475
>Somatic Components
>What does that mean?
>>
>>52252657
How would a similar party work with other classes, such as a monk, sorcerer, an actual rogue (Kazuma is an 'Adventurer'), or other characters?
Is it possible to have a fun group using overspecialized characters and/or having each member of the group pretend to be a type of "that guy"?
>>
>>52256517
Beastmaster Ranger is the most broken class in Core, since it just fails to work.
>>
File: 1486583550491.gif (313KB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
1486583550491.gif
313KB, 300x182px
>>52256532
>>
>>52256393
The only one projecting here is you, ironically.
>>52256390
>A) Relying that players actually do that
In my experience new players try to do things like that by default until they get it beaten out of them by DMs who say "that's not in the rules so you can't do that" or "that's not in the rules so I'll say you can do it at a penalty where you're better off making a generic firebolt attack"
>B) Relying that you actually give your players lots of chances like that
You don't need to though, the players make the chances themselves with any innocuous description. At least mine did.
>C) Relying that players have the abilities required to do take advantage of those opportunities (Which is also another thing that comes with higher levels - more abilities to take advantage of).
That's not really an argument as there are always things players will lack the ability to take advantage of.
> if your players are into having less distinct characters,
Mechanically distinct is not the only means of distinction though...
> less to play with except for the environment
That's my point.
> being incredibly squishy,
Also my goal. You don't have to worry about characters being squishy when you realize that you're not supposed to be getting in situations where being squishy is very bad in the first place.
>>52256424
>This is objectively false.
Obviously not, when you think for a single moment that not every story, or even RPG, involves combat or focuses on combat.
>but being in combat can still happen
Well yeah, the same way you can always lose in a videogame.
> and maybe lead to something other than killing everything
It can, but I can't think of any situations where it's only possible through fighting and the goal isn't to kill everything.
> But saying having no interesting gameplay there
I don't know why you think mechanical options for combat is the only interesting gameplay in an RPG.
>>
>>52256564
I'm worried about you, anon.
>>
>>52253976

You function similar to a Rogue. Your a skill monkey with bombs replacing SA for damage and some really neat utility capabilities. Im playing one right now and he is great at supporting the party
>>
>>52256475
>Verbal
Volume doesn't matter, just the way the words are said
>Somatic
Can be dramatic and hand wavy, can be intricate, depends on the spell
>Material
Your focus can be used instead, unless the component costs gold
>>
>>52256290
As >>52256312 and >>52256325 say, you'll want the Ghostwise Halfling's telepathy.

I mean, you might end up with something like:
Mind Flayer Traits
Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence Score increases by 2, and your Wisdom Score increases by 1.
Age: Mind Flayers reach "adulthood" at 20 years, and live up to 125 years.
Alignment: Mind Flayer society is based around the the strong (them) dominating the weak (everyone else). They tend towards Lawful Evil.
Size: Mind flayers are roughly 6 foot in height. Your size is medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 foot.
Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Mind Flayer Telepathy: You can speak telepathically to any creature within 30 feet of you. The creature understands you only if the two of you share a language. You can speak telepathically in this way to once creature at a time.
Mind Blast: You can use your action to attack with mental energy.
When you use your Mind Blast, each creature within a 15 ft. cone must make an Intelligence saving throw. The DC for this saving throw equals 8+ your Intelligence modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6 psychic damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level.
After you use your mind blast, you can't use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Undercommon and Deep Speech.

(Telepathy stolen from ghostwise halflings, mind blast is a readjusted dragonborn breath weapon)
>>
>>52256547
I deserved that.
Okay, correction. Which class can be built stupidly overpowered most easily using Core and UA?
Like 'tech-priest in dark heresy'-tier.
>>
>>52256458
Yeah my bad for thinking a common post is not from an anon who has made similar common comments in the past.
It's like you're simultaneously understanding what anon means and not understanding what anon means.
Whoops, I assumed you were another one of those people who have made the exact same argument that you just made before. Congratulations, I was wrong. You're the -other- anon who made that argument.
If someone posts yet another MYFAROG thread, are you going to assume it's one of the same people who have been posting the MYFAROG threads or someone entirely new?
>>52256525
>You can still engage in combat and then subsequently achieve the goal of getting treasure.
Yeah, but getting into a fight is not necessarily conductive to acquiring the treasure.
>What if the stuff you're fighting is guarding the treasure?
Use your imagination. Maybe the classic "flood the dungeon to drown everything then grab the treasure after you get the water out"?
>>52256592
Anon posting things you disagree with =/= shitposting. I'm more worried about you if that's your mindset.
You sound like the shitposter more than anything else
>I disagree with you and here's why
Is not shitposting
>Stop being defensive. Stop projecting. Stop shitposting.
With nothing of substance to discuss. Is shitposting.
>>
>>52253677
You're 95% likely to have a martial with a negative mod in Int.
One illithid comes forward, checks the martial, says "these ones are no good," and moves on.
>>
File: HumanWizard02.png (417KB, 488x648px) Image search: [Google]
HumanWizard02.png
417KB, 488x648px
>tfw you're a fancy big shot wizard but all you ever wanted to do was work retail
>>
>>52256654

I never said I disagreed with you. I never said I agreed with you. I'm worried about you though because the way you're posting and acting isn't healthy.
>>
>>52256432
The rule exists to keep your players from cheesing their way through a dungeon by getting an 8 hour rest after each encounter.

If you had something planned for the 25th mile they need a warning that they either need to press on without a long rest, or that the plot is going to progress because the encounter at the 25th mile went off without a hitch for the bad guys.

Like was there a farmer trapped under a log, or a priest about to sacrifice someone? They are dead because the players took a log rest instead of pressing on.

If you're just grinding through daily level single combats every session, then yeah, they just rested and are fine for the next day, barring any serious injuries.

It's completely reasonable to stop and camp after having a big fight. Perhaps they shouldn't camp on the battlefield and should push on a couple miles off the road to not be found by the guys friends.
>>
>>52253408
>>Rapid Healing- If you are below half your hit point maximum and not unconscious at the start of your turn, you regain 1 hit point. If you take acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of your next turn. In addition, you have advantage on death saving throws and become conscious with 1 hp after passing 3.

This seems like too much. The rest seems ok, though a racial spell turning on at 13th level is weird.
>>
File: No Sword. Got it..png (156KB, 502x362px) Image search: [Google]
No Sword. Got it..png
156KB, 502x362px
Google has failed me, so I turn now to you, /tg/.
I'm running A Devotion Paladin who is multiclassing into the Undying Light warlock patron. I get some cantrips, so I picked Green Dank Blade and was curious about some of the wording in it.
As devotion paladin, I get sacred weapon, which lets me add my CHA bonus to my attack rolls for that weapon. Does that bonus still apply when casting Green Flame Blade?
>>
>>52256699
>I never said I disagreed with you. I never said I agreed with you.
That's exactly what shitposting is moron.
You're just posting, insluting people, while offering nothing to discuss.
>>
>>52251988
Does anyone of you have a good idea for a tavern based adventure? I will DMing a session for five players in one month. All of them decided to play dwarfs, three bards, one druid and one rogue. Therefore i wanted to offer some roleplay-heavy setting within a tavern.

My ideas so far are a haunted tavern, somewhat like in "From Dusk till Dawn" or that the group will get trapped within the tavern due to a mighty blizzard.
>>
>>52256564
>A)
Is fair enough, but it does limit players somewhat, as some players are just trash and unimaginative and would be better in a 4e campaign.
>B)
You DO need to do something.
If you say 'Okay, you enter the room.' and don't add anything to the room aside from a monster, what are people supposed to do?
They don't have magic to summon illusionary walls or objects or anything because you've kept them at a low level, and you haven't given them anything to work with.
This is what I mean - you need to facilitate their creativity with an environment they can use.
This is more of a case of a 'if you're a bad DM' though, and in general bad DMs are bad. The big point is the last one -
C) Some things can't be taken advantage of without abilities.
There's a flying island? You can't get there without some way to fly. Most mundane means won't get you up there.
Maybe, however, you don't have the 'fly' spell. So what do you do? You can use, say, that one cantrip that lets you move earth to build up a pillar, then use spider climb to climb up it, and then misty step to try to get the rest of the way onto that island.
There is honestly some mundane ways you could get up there, but without having abilities to supplement them it limits what players can do to get up there into likely being 'Get some builders, build a massive ladder.'

>Mechanically distinct
With mechanics, comes flavour.
'I want to be a knight who knows a bit of magic'
Then...
(Cont)
>>
>>52256718
No anon. I'm addressing you, as one friend to another. I'm not insulting you and if you feel insulted it is a bit telling.

Why are you so angry? Why are you so defensive about this? You clearly aren't convincing anyone and aren't being convinced by anyone. Perhaps it is best to just step away from the entire discussion and do what you were going to do anyway. If it works, great! If it doesn't then that's a shame.
>>
>>52256564
>>52256748
(Cont)...

At level 1, you have the option of being a fighter with arcana. You can.. Identify magic sometimes, maybe. Though variant human can do some silly things with feats.

At level 3, you could be a fighter with arcana OR a fighter who knows a couple of spells.

They can't say 'I want to be a spellcaster and a fighter' properly before that.

>Less to play with except the environment
Well, that's fine, but you don't need to nerf everybody to make them play with the environment.

>Being incredibly squishy is good
And it can be, but all you need to do for this is to buff the monsters, not nerf the players.
>>
>>52256564
>Obviously not, when you think for a single moment that not every story, or even RPG, involves combat or focuses on combat.
I don't, but you're playing d&d and there's monsters and miscreants everywhere. If there's no chance for physical conflict, or of surviving it, why are you playing d&d at all?

>I don't know why you think mechanical options for combat is the only interesting gameplay in an RPG.
Literally not what I said. I said that aspect being boring does not improve anything, not that it was the only important part.

Also, narratively, how do you justify characters never fighting and in so doing, gain levels that 95% only make you better in a fight?
>>
>>52256627
No mention about eating brains? Those are roleplay affecting dietary requirements, yanno.
>>
>>52256804
>>52256748
Actually, one third post on that.

It's probably better to do OSR if you intend to limit player options but keep it simple so things can be improvised.

5e gives a whole PHB full of things players will be able to do in the future. It'd be cruel to say 'Okay, you're never going to use 75% of the content in here, because you'll never go beyond level 5.'

5e is better suited to this than 4e or 3.5e, but if you're not prepared to make players feel at least a little special it's probably a bit too far.
One of the biggest problems is you'd have to manage player resources a bit, because the long rest / short rest system is a bit of a dud. If you never go into combat in the first place, you won't really use a lot of spells except in combat, so combat will become 'The paladins and wizards burst the fuck out of everything' and non-combat will become 'the rogue and the wizard find solutions to puzzles'. Fighter gets jack shit.
>>
>>52256748
>If you say 'Okay, you enter the room.' and don't add anything to the room aside from a monster, what are people supposed to do?
But you don't (shouldn't) ever, ever, EVER do that? And if your DM is doing that, there is something seriously wrong with the campaign?
Rooms always have a purpose, otherwise why would the room exist?
>his is more of a case of a 'if you're a bad DM' though, and in general bad DMs are bad.
I don't believe most DMs are -that- bad though. At that point you're not even roleplaying, it's just a combat simulator no better than the argument used to prove casters are superior to martials.
>There's a flying island? You can't get there without some way to fly. Most mundane means won't get you up there.
Sounds like a fun to me. Find a way to get up there. Maybe the archmage we met in that swamp a few days back will know a way, or even take you there himself for a small favor. He might even have information on it.
>Maybe, however, you don't have the 'fly' spell.
But doesn't that make it boring? Instead of talking and exploring to find a way to the flying island, you just cast a spell you knew because you gathered enough arbitrary experience points and the player choose to get that spell when he leveled up.
>Well, that's fine, but you don't need to nerf everybody to make them play with the environment.
But I'm not nerfing you, you're just starting at level one, with the expectation that this will remain a low level camping.And this mentality is exactly what I'm talking about.
>And it can be, but all you need to do for this is to buff the monsters, not nerf the players.
Looking through the DMG, the monsters are actually buff enough as it is for a low level campaign.
>If there's no chance for physical conflict, or of surviving it, why are you playing d&d at all?
A similar reason why people who want mechanical distinction and player options aren't playing something else. Popularity and a ruleset you already know.
>>
How's the Artificer in terms of balanced? Thinking of enabling it for my players who are interested in running one for the party.
>>
>>52256958
Severely under powered, last time I checked.
>>
>>52256268
>combat being a failure state
If you're not using the combat to drive storyline and character development, then it's you that's a failure as a GM.
>>
How can I test my basic understanding of the system? I'm about to join my second 5e game after one that died off pretty quickly and I'm not ENTIRELY confident that I know how things work
>>
>>52256875
>If there's no chance for physical conflict, or of surviving it, why are you playing d&d at all?
Not no chance for physical conflict. The goal is to avoid physical conflict because it has no benefits. It's not that there would never ever be a situation where killing would be the best option.
It's just that you wouldn't assume that killing is a viable option. Think of those greentexts where players encounter something that's obviously out of their league, and they fight it anyways leading to a TPK because the players assume that anything the DM throws at them is something there are able to beat.
Except not quite like that for what I want to do, because rather than purposefully throwing bullshit at the players it's more like telling them there is no reason to fight those zombies.
>Also, narratively, how do you justify characters never fighting and in so doing, gain levels that 95% only make you better in a fight?
The same way a wizard suddenly learns new spells by slinging magic missiles and burning hands at orcs. I don't agree with that either, but the precedence is there.
>>52256973
>If you're not using the combat to drive storyline and character development, then it's you that's a failure as a GM.
??? So you're saying if it was a political campaign you've failed as a DM because there's nothing to stab? And before you say something about fighters having nothing to do, the fighter can be a bodyguard to the diplomat and his mere presence discourages assassination attempts. Or the fighters experience allows him to command soldiers well enough to climb ranks in military?
>>
>>52256936
>5e gives a whole PHB full of things players will be able to do in the future. It'd be cruel to say 'Okay, you're never going to use 75% of the content in here, because you'll never go beyond level 5.'

Not any worse than playing a non-spellcaster and realizing that 1/3 of the PHB is the spell list, something your character will never use.
>>
can a noble trade prof. in gaming dice for 1 more language
>>
>>52256958
IMO, the key to running artificer balanced is that you let them artifice, which is between the GM and the player. Give them chances to craft and improve things, especially their construct as time goes on. The construct is sweet around the time you get it, but by level 10 of so becomes less and less useful, loading down the party.
Since it is usually a large creature, and landbound, in can become a bit of an anchor.
Spiderclimb, fly and so on will help with this, but you might want to leave that for the PCs to figure out, it can be a pretty fun problem at times.

With that in mind, leave the door open for them to pimp its AC/hit points, give it special attacks or multiple attacks and so on, within reason.
You should also speed up crafting rules, as the 5e rules suck to prevent abuse. However, this does mean you'll have to rein in the artificer from the same abuse they were trying to prevent this edition, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>52256941
>But you shouldn't ever do that
It's not a 'You should do' or a 'you shouldn't do' thing. It's a scale from 'bare bones' to 'luxury detail of every part of a king's bedroom'. You simply have to turn it up towards more descriptive.
4e works with fairly bare bones descriptions of a battlefield because players have a lot of abilities to affect the battlefield, move around, create cover and fuck things up.
5e requires a lot more descriptive effort. You can offer one or two things, and maybe players will think up some more ways themselves if they're not on their phones.
5e at only low levels relying heavily on the environment would require you to be very descriptive, offering more than just one or two things that could help with a problem, because if the players fail to realize something important's in there they've less abilities to find an alternative way through.

Not saying you can't do it, but it's more effort from the DM and there is a point where you kind of put too many things in. You can actually hide a magical item that you've specifically said is in a room simply by overdescribing the room and making people overlook it with the torrent of information.

>Maybe the archmage
This is the deal. It's a case of 'Do you want the players to sometimes be the archmage, or do you always want the archmage to be some second party?', I suppose.

>Isn't it boring if you can just cast 'fly'?
It has a weakness. You see, if you lose concentration on 'fly'...

(Cont...)
>>
>>52257084
Up to the DM of course.
The guidelines say it is okay though.
>>
>>52257126
>The guidelines say it is okay though.
ok thank
>>
>>52256941
>>52257094
If a bunch of goblin archers attack you as you attempt to fly with the fly spell up there, you might lose concentration, fall and die. Or, you might not be able to cast fly at the right level to get the entire party up there.

However, you can perhaps use the fly spell to fly up there and see if there's something you can do to facilitate more people getting up, like anchoring a rope there. That only creates new challenges for the players to overcome, rather than instantly solving it, but it helps them towards their goal.

>And this mentality
More experienced 5e players might not come in expecting this sort of mentality. Even if they are, you've kind of got to curb their enthusiasm, maybe not throwing them the entire PHB but the entire PHB up to level 5. Which would actually be okay considering that gives them a lot less to read, I guess. But again, maybe OSR is the better route.

>Monsters are already buff for a low level campaign
Well, yeah, but you can let players be level 3 and then introduce monsters that're stronger than against the level 1 players. If you allow it, the monster might do just as much damage to a level 3 as a lower monster would to a level 1. And players still get to have their toys to fuck around with.

>A ruleset you already know
I suppose OSR isn't exactly the simplest thing ever, having looked at it. At least, it's harder than playing 5e when you already know 5e. As long as people don't come in with false hopes.
>>
>>52257094
> It's a case of 'Do you want the players to sometimes be the archmage
No, for the same reason I wouldn't want the players to be Gandlaf.
I know there are players that want to be Gandalf, and they can find a DM to accommodate that desire.
Fuck, I'm linking it again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9vECzikqpY
tl;dw if your character is at the point of being the archmage, it's time to retire them in my opinion. And apparently other peoples opinion too.
>>
>>52257043
What I'm saying is that there is nothing inherently wrong with combat. It doesn't detract from a storyline, even a nuanced political campaign. On the other hand, it has potential to add a great deal if you're a competent storyteller. To look at it as a failure regardless of the situation speaks to your lack of imagination.

You seem to have a very monochromatic, inflexible view of storytelling which is unhealthy for a game master.
>>
>>52257161
>I suppose OSR isn't exactly the simplest thing ever
AD&D is super confusing, but Basic/BX/BECMI is so easy and simple, the players don't even need to know the rules, just the DM.
>>
>>52257162
Not necessarily an archmage, but a level 1 character is only really a strong commoner with an extra ability. Might as well be call of cthulu at that level.

Then level 5 isn't exactly archmage status, but you can be a mage for sure.
>>
>>52256713
Anyone?
>>
>>52256713
>As devotion paladin, I get sacred weapon, which lets me add my CHA bonus to my attack rolls for that weapon. Does that bonus still apply when casting Green Flame Blade?
Yes.
>>
>>52257207
Hm. Didn't think of it that way. It's true that 5e can be a hassle sometimes trying to remind all the players that they can do other actions such as 'ready an action' and 'dodge' and then trying to explain it to them. They seem like relatively simple actions and there's not tonnes of them, but..

>>52257072
And even so, I still overhear some people in the games room talking about level 9 spells or this and that or there's this one person who wants to cast time stop in the future or something. Of course, they're unlikely to ever get to that point, but presenting them the options and then crushing their dreams is a bit much. If they're a fighter, they've submitted their fate to only getting high level fighter features instead of cool spells already.
>>
>>52256713
yea
>>
>>52256895
True, I hadn't really considered that, since it wasn't in the monster stats.

Maybe something like:
Mental Hunger: Mind Flayers derive sustenance from psionic energies, usually found in sentient brains. As part of a short rest, you can kill a helpless sentient being, feeding on their brain. This provides you with a number of days of sustenance equal to the victim's Intelligence score.
>>
>>52257181
>You seem to have a very monochromatic, inflexible view of storytelling which is unhealthy for a game master.
But I don't think there is something inherently wrong with combat.
I'm saying there is something wrong with the mentality that things like Skyrim has bred where you absolutely NEED to kill that skeleton. Why? Dunno, experience points I guess.
Why is it you join a thieves guild and spend your time killing stuff to climb the ranks?
I'm trying to avoid that entirely. It's not as bad in table top, but it's still obviously there. If you've ever introduced something that obviously wasn't meant to be fought but the players tried to fight it anyways, not even for rp reasons like being a light cleric who sees undead. But because it's a monster and it's there. That mentality is what I'm talking about.
>>52257211
>but a level 1 character is only really a strong commoner with an extra ability.
That's what I was going for to begin with.
>>52257251
>but presenting them the options and then crushing their dreams is a bit much
It's not like I'd advertise the game as anything other than "This is a low level campaign. Don't expect it to last past level 5. Monsters don't give experience. You gain experience by looting treasure from dungeons." Anyone who joins in at that point already knows what the game is about.
My original question was whether loot as xp and no xp from monsters was feasible in 5e.
>>
>>52257251
>And even so, I still overhear some people in the games room talking about level 9 spells or this and that or there's this one person who wants to cast time stop in the future or something. Of course, they're unlikely to ever get to that point, but presenting them the options and then crushing their dreams is a bit much. If they're a fighter, they've submitted their fate to only getting high level fighter features instead of cool spells already.

Not anyone you've been talking to, but being able to aspire to the higher levels, despite it being unlikely, is part of the romance of D&D imo. Hell, just being in a campaign that runs long enough to reach level 20 is an admirable feat, and speaks of the dedication of everyone involved.

As for a fighter never being able to cast Time Stop, that is clearly where the DM steps in, unless it is for competitively balanced scenarios like AL. Whose is to say that the fighter doesn't find an item that lets him cast Time Stop, or is blessed by a god with the ability (when you reach appropriate level of course)
As the levels get higher anyway, balance increasing tips away from the books into the hand of the DM. Those types of considerations are commonplace as time goes on.
>>
>>52257290
Hey that's pretty good. Might want to say "sapient" though, most animals are sentient.
>>
>>52257355
Oops, think I replied to the wrong post
Well, point made regardless
>>
File: 1426700779373.png (280KB, 833x1165px) Image search: [Google]
1426700779373.png
280KB, 833x1165px
Hey guys, what's the best group size to play an RPG with?

I've always been in groups of 4 to 6 players and a DM, but I've always wondered whether or not one player and a DM, or two would work better, if they're decent at RP and the DM balances for it.
>>
>>52253824
If you're still here, use it as a teachable moment, it's normal behavior but, they can and often are taught better by a good DM
>>
What would happen if you dumped a bucket of Sovereign Glue onto someone? Would they be petrified?
>>
>>52257307
>That's what I was going for

Then, really, I think some other system would be better.

5e isn't as bad for the idea as 4e or pathfinder, but a system where you don't even have to tell the players the rules in the first place is probably better.

And, still, loot as xp is still feasible for the right sorts of campaigns. Usually for the campaigns I see people do in 5e though milestones tends to work out best and people will try to insist that loot = XP is a terrible system, but it definitely has times when it would be better if you're in the right sort of campaign.

>>52257355
Yeah. It's what I'm going for and you can link it to otherguy if you want, but that's pretty much the point I'm making there. People like to imagine the things they can do in the future, so they have a reason to collect loot for xp. It's kinda nicer than being told you'll never get to do that stuff.
>>
>>52257393
You could argue that, but they mostly be stuck to the floor, and anything that came in contact with them. Or are there rules for sovereign glue that sits exposed?
>>
>>52257162
He reveals himself!
>>
>>52256958
Within their RAW underpowered. With a DM willing to let them Artifice it's hard to say, but is kind of a game of DM-may-I.

>>52256980
Argue with people online, you'll get corrected pretty fast if you're wrong. A better way would be to just look at how your character looks and look up any strange of vague interactions, and then extend that piece by piece to the rest of the system.

>>52257379
4 imo
>>
>>52257379
One on one is good as a side thing on a bigger campaign, but otherwise might be a bit lonely.
Two on one has merits and like above should run fast and smooth, but might have a limitation on how much people can interact.
Three on one starts to get a bit interesting.
Four on one is probably optimal, I'd say.
Five on one is pretty okay, too.
Then six on one starts to get too many.
Then seven on one is just getting ridiculous.
Then eight on one is.. You should split the group.

Group is too small > Group is too large, I'd say.
>>
>>52257417
Not that I saw, the description doesn't even say that the flask or jar it's contained in needs to be closed. Thanks for the answer, friend.
>>
File: tomb-of-horrors-classic-cover.gif (548KB, 1196x764px) Image search: [Google]
tomb-of-horrors-classic-cover.gif
548KB, 1196x764px
With Tales from the Yawning Portal drawing close, how are you going to throw these infamous dungeons in your campaign?

My players are pretty new only ever playing at 5e with Lost Mines. We're currently about to end our Storm King's Thunder run with them at level 11. I was thinking of making Tomb of Horrors like some super-post-game dungeon since they understand that kind of shit from the video games they play.

Thing is, should I give hint that this dungeon going to likely kill them? My players' characters have faced a lot of shit so they're not one to go run and gun but they've played enough to go "Oh sweet, another dungeon crawl" when they see the mouth of a dungeon before them. I kinda like them to think that when they gaze into the maw of Tomb of Horrors, unknown of what's to come. At the same time, I want to be impartial and want to throw many hints via NPC, books, rumors, etc. about this dungeon so they can set their expectations.

Any ideas?
>>
>>52257379

I prefer 3 or 4 players and a DM. Too many players, and no one gets enough DM time for their characters to be engaged in the story as much as I like. You can make it work with 2 players, but 1 isn't great. Play a different kind of game if you've just got 2 people.
>>
>>52257307
Well, regarding your point about Skyrim's thieves' guild in particular, I always saw that storyline more as kind of a mobster, generic criminal syndicate thing rather than a natural thieves' guild.

But why do you absolutely need to kill that skeleton? Well, sometimes things are inherently hostile to intruders and are trying to kill you. If you manage to finesse your way out of combat and end the confrontation some other way, that's an absolute plus and a credit to your party's creative thinking. I just don't think there's anything wrong with killing something in a campaign that's trying to kill you.

I do understand your frustration about bringing something in that your party tries to kill even though you've heavily implied that they should not fight it. But in that situation? Make said creature/person incredibly strong and use it to punish them. Make it a deadly encounter and let them learn that lesson the hard way.
>>
File: 352531515151.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
352531515151.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>52257443
>One on one is good as a side thing on a bigger campaign, but otherwise might be a bit lonely

One on one can be brutal (ok not really) when you and the other were part of a larger group. Me and my brother do one on one campaigns where he plays a PC and I run NPC party members that he controls in combat and I control in social interactions (like in most CRPGs) with their own storylines that my bro uncovers. It's fun yeah but it only happened cause 3 of our buddies had to stop cause 2 of them moved out and the other got married and was too busy for game nights (still hung around for other things though)

Now with two of us, it's just pretty quiet even if there's fun, there's that moment when my bro is investigating the dungeon, going about clues and shit, I get this nagging in the back of my mind going "Wonder how would Dave do that...?" and i'm sure my brother shares the same sentiment.
>>
>>52257360
Ah damn, good point.(To be honest, it might be easier to just make it humanoids and giants. Otherwise you get the "fun" of someone trying to eat the brain of a myconid, pseudodragon, or blink dog. Which would be kind of weird.)
>>
File: support_by_deadslug-d8v8nf4.jpg (571KB, 613x882px) Image search: [Google]
support_by_deadslug-d8v8nf4.jpg
571KB, 613x882px
What are some interesting field exercises for a squad of players in a WW1 era setting?
I am using D&D 5th edition rules.
There are 5 players with 10 NPC cadets under their command.
They will be fighting with rifles, swords, and non-lethal magic against a company of cadets in a series of field exercises over several weeks.
>>
>>52256627
>>52256349
No magic resistance?
I feel like pureblood yuantis get way too much, getting poison resistance, innate spellcasting and full magic resistance, compared to dragonborn and tiefling traits.

I feel like they need some if not most of the following, telepathy, mind blast, innate spellcasting (psionics) and magic resistance and/or psychic resistance.

Also some mechanically crippling brain dependency or just intense role playing racism or outright violence against it to "balance" it.
>>
>>52257379
I like 4 or 5.
That usually covers any roles you need to fill with one extra guy to back people up if there's a problem. I lean a little more toward 5 because if you lose a man and go to 4 you'll probably still be fine, but go down to three and you're in for a nasty time.
If there are only 4 players I'll usually let them take an NPC of their choice from a pool of allies to go with them. The NPC will hopefully fill a role they need and I'll let one of them play the NPC in temporarily if their character is killed so they don't need to sit around for the next two hours waiting.

>>52257443
Completely right. Being a man down is fine but being over gets crazy. If I only had two players I would tell them to each make two characters.
>>
Any DM gonna mysteriously try to get players to buy a 10' pole from a peddler to get them ready for the Yawning Portal?
>>
I checked the rules on instant kill and im in need of a little clarifaction. So if lets say if this slime deals 5 blunt + 20 acid on someone with 25hp, is that an instant kill on the character? Or would it need to do 26 damage? One of my players read it as it would need to deal 50 damage to instant kill.
>>
>>52254362
>the class is two pages
>the SIX ARCHETYPES are a basically a page each
>"spell list" is the rest of it
How about shut the fuck up, it's STILL shorter than Wizard was at launch, let alone Wizard with all its UAs, SCAG, and EEPC.
>>
>>52257640
I almost suggested that, but thought eating a dragons brain might be a good time. Humanoid/Giant is probably better though, yeah.
>>
File: Mindflayer_ff1.jpg (99KB, 772x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Mindflayer_ff1.jpg
99KB, 772x1000px
>>52257686
I thought of magic resistance, but I was worried that might be gilding the lily.

As for innate spellcasting/psionics, I'd figured that's made up for by the actual class abilities, which regular Mind Flayers don't get access to.
>>
>>52257772
Instant kill should be all their remaining hp plus their max hp in One hit.
Otherwise just their remaining hp to knock them down and then they can die from 3 more hits, regardless of damage dealt, iirc.
>>
>>52257772
IIRC, the rules are if you're dealt double your max health is an instant kill.
So if you get hit by an attack that deals, say, 51 damage on a character that has 25HP, that's an instant kill.
>>
>>52257789
Yeah, eating those is probably for pleasure, rather than for sustenance. The Illithid equivalent of candy.
>>
>>52257772
If 25 is their max HP then yes, they need to take 50 damage to be instantly killed. If their max HP is 30 they'd have to take 55 etc.
>>
File: mayu karappo.jpg (21KB, 211x208px) Image search: [Google]
mayu karappo.jpg
21KB, 211x208px
>>52257817
>filename
>.png
>>
Anons? Anyone here remember the Dray from Dark Sun? I'm trying to see my way into homebrewing some Dark Sun 5e racial writeups, and I'm interested in doing the more obscure races from post 1e.

And yes, I know 4e said "just use dragonborn", but really, they don't mesh all that well - dray don't have breath weapons, and their lore makes the racial History proficiency useless. I guess 5e is a little better for it, but still...

Also, Athasian Dwarves, Elves and Halflings; would you consider the subrace mechanic enough to support these guys, or do they need to get rewritten from the ground up?
>>
>>52257807
>>52257817
>>52257852
Ok i think i got it now! Thanks!
>>
>>52256290
>>52257686
Also, I've read most of the stuff on volo and it gives a good framework for mindflayer adventurers but still makes it really hard for them to fit in normal, say, forgotten realm stories.

And that's the thing that worries me the most, the phb handwaves racism at weird races but in practice for most dms, they just ignore for the sake of the plot, and stuff like purebloods just disguise themselves good enough to not matter.

Any advice, as a dm and as a player?
>>
>>52257741
I always get a 12 foot pole.
If the grid is on 5x5 squares I can still fall down a pit that is two squares wide with a 10 foot pole. What if the fire trap has a two square range? Safe with a 12 foot pole.
>>
File: droppingtozero.png (112KB, 382x364px) Image search: [Google]
droppingtozero.png
112KB, 382x364px
>>52257923
>>
>>52257837
Non-standard effects from eating non-standard brains might be interesting, but probably better to do unpredictability and off the cuff.

Also, there's the whole reproductive method they have that you might want to address.

...I always wanted to tadpole a hydra.
>>
>>52257881
Never heard of them, give a summary? I doubt it's complicated enough to need great familiarity with the setting.
>>
>>52257923
Eh, no?
It's just your max hp twice to instadie, if you are at 1/20, 21 will kill you, if you are full health at 20, 40 will kill you. You don't need to deal 60 to instakill a 20hp character.
>>
>>52257881
I'd say make Dray (and Draconians) subraces of Dragonborn. +1 to Con instead of Cha.
They lose the Breath Weapon trait, instead gaining the Lizardman's natural armour trait.
Their Draconic Ancestry type is "Athasian," giving them Fire Resistance.
>>
>>52258006
oh man i dunno where the fuck i got "twice" from considering i just looked it the fuck up >>52257949
>>
>>52257963
Only elder brains spawn tadpoles, iirc, and I don't think they'd be going on adventuring any time soon.
>>
>>52258006
Maybe make a rule where excessive damage not only kills them but effectively destroys the body.
>>
>>52258046
Aha, guess I'm not that clear on the lore after all.
>>
>>52252101
Sounds fun, what's the name?
>>
File: dray.jpg (54KB, 482x276px) Image search: [Google]
dray.jpg
54KB, 482x276px
>>52257988
Drey were dragon-liked humanoids created by... well, the easiest way to put it is a Dracolich with a god-complex on a world without gods.

In 2e they were all living in lava filled caverns, split between the terribly mutated first generation which were exiled but still loved their daddy, and the second generation, who didn't look like shit.

In 4e, they were dragonborn.
>>
>>52257988
One of the Sorcerer-Kings, Dregoth, got pretty far along with his ascension into an Athasian Dragon - about as far along as Nibenay. For reasons, the other Sorcerer-Kings killed him, but he was their party's master necromancer, so he came back as a lich.

Driven mad, although still a human supremacist, he became fixated on the idea that humanity's destiny was to evolve into dragons, so he set up this hidden city far away from the rest of the Tablelands and began experimenting on his population, eventually turning them all into Dray - dragon-people who're essentially lesser versions of himself.

Stat-wise, Dray are basically lizardfolk with weird fluff in AD&D; heat resistance, cold vulnerability, natural armor, claw attacks, bite attacks, infravision and sunlight sensitivity.

They're divided into two "generations"; the 1st generation, who're only partially successful and turned out as extremely mutation prone, and the fully successful 2nd generation, who're the pinnacle of Dregoth's experiments.

1st gen Dray are stronger and tougher than the 2nd gen Dray, but not as smart, were much better at using their natural attacks, and made perfect Gladiators.

2nd gen Dray were strong and smart (+1 Str/Con/Int), shunned fang & claw in favor of weapon, and were naturally adept in arcane magic (defiling) and psionics.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dragonborn#Dray
>>
So who else is really disappointed with the Soulknife Mystic. Now I may just go be spoiled because of Pathfinders Ultimate Psionics but everything about Mystic Soulknife is just underwealming. Its mechanically solid. But it just lacks panache.
>>
File: 1469730761416.jpg (146KB, 1024x701px) Image search: [Google]
1469730761416.jpg
146KB, 1024x701px
Why does the Mystic look like it could be a better monk than the Monk
All I could think when I was looking at the ISubclasses was that this class should be flying all over the battlefield throwing elemental blasts and kicking the shit out of dudes
>>
>>52256268
>And I also disagree with this. My original post: "Killing things would not give experience points". I'm in the camp of combat being a failure state, rather than a means and an end.
But you are deliberately keeping abilities that allow some classes to opt out of combat from doing that.

Look buddy, I always award exp at the end of a session or at a milestone of sorts, regardless of kills - But you are asking for advise, and then shitting on everybody for telling you this is a bad idea.

Start at level 3, or at least let them advance quickly to level 3. This is how the system is meant to be played. If you can't play around that, then why are you using 5e, and not the OCR shit you keep harping about? People like having unique characters with distinct abilities that sets them apart from the rest of the group.

That does not detract from roleplaying, on the contrary, it adds to it, and gives the players, even new and inexperienced ones, easy ways to roleplay out the vastly different skills and backgrounds they have, and their reactions to this. The rogue is really good at climbing? Wonder why that might be!
>>
This is my first draft at a 5e profile for the Dray - and yes, they did have PC writeups in AD&D, when they first appeared in City by the Silt Sea.

Dray
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Sunlight Sensitivity: You suffer Disadvantage on Attack Rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks based on sight made whilst either you or the thing you are attacking/studying is in direct sunlight.
Born to Scorching Sands: You have Resistance to Fire Damage. Additionally, you only need a half of a gallon of water per day, or one gallon in hot weather, and have Advantage on the Constitution save against Exhaustion caused by not drinking sufficient daily water.
Armored Scales: When not wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
With Fang and Claw: You possess fangs and claws, which function as natural weapons. When making an unarmed strike, you can choose to use your claw attack (1d6 + Str modifier Slashing damage) or bite attack (1d4 + Str modifier Piercing damage) instead of your fist (normal Unarmed Strike). If you have the Martial Arts class feature, you can use your Martial Arts damage dice when making a claw or bite attack, although the damage remains Slashing or Piercing as appropriate.
Subrace: Choose between the First Generation Dray or Second Generation Dray to determine the rest of your racial abilities.
>>
>>52258200
Split it due to length.

1st Generation Dray:
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength
Atavistic Fury: You have a +1 bonus to Attack rolls and Damage rolls when using your claw attack and bite attack.

2nd Generation Dray:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength, +1 Intelligence
Superior Darkvision: Your Darkvision has a range of 120 feet instead of 60 feet.
Trained to Inherit: You have Proficiency in one skill of your choice and in one martial weapon of your choice.
>>
>>52258215
>>52258200
Every published race with subraces that I've seen has had the +2 as part of the main race, with the subrace determining the +1.
I'd personally say you'd be better off going +2 Con, with +1 Str for 1st gen, and +1 Int for 2nd gen.
>>
>>52258310
New thread. Weebs go home.
>>
>>52258263
I don't know about that... 1st gen Dray were +2 Str/+2 Con, yeah, but 2nd gens were +1 Str/Con/Int, and it's not like 5e hasn't messed with the formula before - humans get +1 to everything, half-elves get +2 to two stats, Tritons get +1 to three stats, and that's just off the top of my head.

A general formula isn't an iron rule in 5e, we've seen they're willing to break that. Not always in a good way, since that's what they used to bring back ability score penalties...
>>
>>52256052
Viles of chemical behavior influencers.
>>
>>52258316
And you're still doing it way too goddamn early, STOP
>>
>>52256098
Hags are known for kidnapping and keeping children for nefarious purposes
>>
>>52258350
The races are built around +2/+1 most of the time. +2/+2 in one case of weak racials and +1 to all for a strong one. You could base it more around volos monster races, but that's objectively less balanced.

I say use that anons advice on stats. Also, you'll want to give them a resist elements effect, going by your description. Personally I'd drop both the sensitivity and fire resist, but it's not unbalanced. Maybe only give those to 1st gen.

Sorta feel it needs something else more unique to them, but i don't know what.
>>
>>52258548
Resisting the effects of extreme heat, per the DMG, is already part and parcel with fire resistance. And they had sunlight sensitivity back in AD&D, so it's a traditional weakness.

Likewise, both generations had infravision in AD&D, but 1st gens only had it to 30 feet and 2nd gens to 60. I bumped that up to 60/120 instead in this edition, but maybe the original 30/60 split would have been better...
>>
>>52258172
Because it can be if built right, instead of fixing the Monk they made a new class that can do it better, and do alot of other things decently on top of that.
>>
File: 1487148890183.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
1487148890183.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>Mfw this thread

Reminds me of the time I asked about how to set up the possibility of more morally compromising situations if things go south and a Superman fanboy shit posted for three threads.
>>
>>52258886
I realize that about fire, I'm just saying you can go with mundane resistance to both heat and cold (deserts get damn cold) and not mess with actual damage reduction.

The longer darkvision is probably fine, but it'd go odd with my suggestion of no sunlight sensitivity for gen 2. Or maybe their eyes are just that damn good?

Anyways most other races have a more flavorful racial or two. They didn't have any interesting abilities? Maybe a skill based or social gimmick?
>>
>>52259113
They're actually only resistant to heat in 2e; they take double damage from cold. Hence why I called them "the real Athasian lizardfolk".

Plus, given both races had sunlight sensitivity in AD&D, I'm not really sure that 2nd gens should lose it in 5e. They do both originate from underground.

Nnnot really. 1st gens got +1 to attack & damage rolls with their natural attacks. 2nd gens got +1 to attack rolls with dray-forged weapons. 1st gens could be Gladiators (essentially Athas' take on the Barbarian niche) to unlimited levels, 2nd gens could be Defilers or Psionicists of unlimited level.

Otherwise, their identity was pretty tied up in their universal traits.

Oh, 1st gens could roll a D20 for a mutation, ranging from crippling (-1d2 to any stat, lose a claw attack, lose a bite attack, lower armor, lower claw attack damage) to buffing (+1d2 to any stat bar Cha, -2 AC) to cosmetic (no tail, uneven scales)
>>
>>52258316
Why the fuck are you making them this early? Kill yourself you stupid faggot
>>
>>52252803
Caim is a serious motherfucker.
>>
>>52259338
Huh. Well then, maybe better natural attacks for 1st generation, and a free wizard cantrip / mystic talent for 2nd?
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.