[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the tell-tale signs of a Mary-sue?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: ConanStats.gif (20KB, 862x366px) Image search: [Google]
ConanStats.gif
20KB, 862x366px
What are the tell-tale signs of a Mary-sue?
>>
>>52242027
Added into a pre-existing setting by a writer not authorized by the copyright holder, and ability to perform the known strengths of pre-existing characters better than said characters.
>>
>>52242027
Dead family. Bonus points if they killed them
>>
It's easier to do in fanfics but as a general rule the most obvious mary sue traits are:

>They are exceptional, if not perfect, at anything they do and no good reason is given as to why e.g. the character is a fantastic fighter, commander, pilot, dancer, farmer and singer and the only explanation given for how they are good at all these different skills is that they are a natural.

>Their appearance, by the standards of the setting, stands out massively e.g. in a low fantasy setting where everything looks humanoid and the only fantastical appearance trait normally found are weird eye colors, the character has wings, two differently colored glowing eyes and ,despite being young and beautiful, is the only with silver hair.

>The character never experiences any real challenge, no enemy is ever able to inflict some form of serious damage and the character never suffers even minor losses.

>Every other character seemingly becomes unimportant and useless when this character is present, only the sue is allowed to beat the villains, the side characters never do even when all logic and causality suggests they should

>A common trait is a "dark and traumatic" past that never seems to actually affect the sue in any meaningful way. The obvious example seen is almost every fanfic and teenagers first attempt at writing is the girl whose back story is full of rape, torture and other traumatizing experiences and yet the only way this affects them is their constant moping about it, no signs of actual mental trauma to be seen or heard

Honestly there's a shit ton of other traits that are associated with sues. It all boils down to how powerful and important the character seems compared to everything else, including the actual plot. Just look up My Immortal, it's the most obvious and distilled mary sue story known to man.
>>
>>52242027
There is only one real qualification for the Mary Sue - story bends over backwards in order for her to shine.
Stop using "Mary Sue" as a codeword for "Character I don't like". It's a term that has a real meaning.
>>
>>52242481
>Stop using "Mary Sue" as a codeword for "Character I don't like". It's a term that has a real meaning.

>poster was called autistic for this comment

Words don't mean anything anymore, anon.
>>
File: 1418083839353.jpg (45KB, 532x465px) Image search: [Google]
1418083839353.jpg
45KB, 532x465px
>>52242027
Got you covered, Fampire Hunter D.
>>
The GM takes more than two minutes to describe their physical appearance.
>>
>>52242027
Superman.
>>
>>52242027

The character does not change, and is not changed by, the setting or the plot.

Characters can be powerful, well-liked, destined, skilled, beautiful, talented, funny, tragic, or exotic. But actual characters exert narrative forces on set and setting and are themselves molded by the setting and events within it. Mary and Gary don't have a setting they just have a stage and an audience waiting to clap.
>>
>>52242146
FPBP
>>
File: james-bond-sean-connery.jpg (98KB, 820x500px) Image search: [Google]
james-bond-sean-connery.jpg
98KB, 820x500px
Is James Bond a Mary Sue?

He seems to be amazing at everything. He overcomes every conflict and everyone likes him.
>>
>>52248110

Strictly speaking, he's not. Because >>52242146 is really the only real definition for a Mary Sue. That's what it originally meant, but nowadays it's just an umbrella term for "Character I Think is Poorly Written Because..."

Also, I have to admit >>52243397 has got a really good point. I just finished reading this cyberpunk book where some military intelligence analysts state a half dozen Navy SEALs are no match for a genetically-enhanced young female rogue agent. At first I rolled my eyes at this, but then I stopped and asked myself something: would I have a problem with this character if she were the exact same person but a man?

I realized I wouldn't.

As much as I hate playing the muh sexism card, I really do think female characters in genre fiction get way harsher judgments from audiences. People who sincerely enjoy characters like James Bond or Batman often have this knee-jerk reaction when a female character of similar competency shows up. I know I did.
>>
>>52248273
> would I have a problem with this character if she were the exact same person but a man?
Because a genetically enhanced man would feasibly be superior to a man.
Females are by default weaker than a man, trained females are weaker than trained males.
Would genetic engineering fill that gap? Extremely likely, but because the tech isn't there yet it ruins suspension of disbelief.
Now a trained genetically engineered man is obviously going to be better than a mere trained normal human male.

You're comparing apples to oranges and getting upset that you don't find them equal.
>>
>>52242027
http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm
>>
>>52248110
Mayyybe a little bit in the films, but in the Fleming books he is a flawed character to put it lightly.
>>
>>52248110
Do all those vodka martinis ever drown out the screams of the men you've killed?

Do you find comfort in the arms of all those womens for the one you failed to protect?
>>
File: What is a Mary Sue.png (70KB, 382x787px) Image search: [Google]
What is a Mary Sue.png
70KB, 382x787px
The entire setting and all of the characters revolving around her. Praise and adoration from all, even if undeserved. Violation of previously established canon in their favour.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.