[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gurpsgen/ GURPS general thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 416
Thread images: 75

File: GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
Hangover edition

Everyone have fun on St.Paddys? I know I had fun. Whiskey fuelled chaos up in this motherfucker
>>
File: 1479244852137.jpg (204KB, 940x594px) Image search: [Google]
1479244852137.jpg
204KB, 940x594px
FIREFLY: the Verse
>The party are on Greenleaf, having followed elaborate and cryptic instructions to reach a rendezvous with...Someone
>The secret base under a mountain outside standard patrols tells them it is shady as fuck
>The madman with a knife who wanders out of the blast doors confirms their suspicions
>The firefight with him is even more weird, with his armor bursting g with purple dust as he gets shot
>Dee, the Scotty engineer, discovers the dust is wildly fast acting hallucinagenics, but luckily it washes off
>The party gives the corpse a wide berth, and loot. Space HMGs in a locker, DU APHCDS ammo, and then, a reactor Ina box surrounded by cases of weird blue vial space drugs
>Also, the wildman was nesting in a room full of alien flowers
>They GTFO, touch base with the weirdos, and get a dropoff on a silver mine
>They full thrust straight for it
>>
>>52239225
If you roll a general reaction roll for an NPC and lets say you visit that same NPC a week later, would you require reaction rolls for things like ask for information or ask for assistance? Or would you just use the corresponding reaction roll from earlier?
>>
File: 1464152711666.png (776KB, 559x800px) Image search: [Google]
1464152711666.png
776KB, 559x800px
>>52240869
I'd say make a judgement call , RRs are do when you don't know the exact reaction an NPC should be played as.

Assuming you wanted to make a new one, and the previous encounter went favorably, give the next one a bonus
>>
>>52239225
I Love GURPS. In fact I can never play anything else now, but my biggest gripe is that there aren't enough fleshed out world settings, as in some other P&P RPGS. It used to be the shit, bland, black and white art

With that said, I think there are a lot of wonderful world settings in the GURPS repoitre.
Some of my Favorites are Banestorm, Autoduel (AKA Car Wars), and Reign of Steel.

I really wish SJG would bring back the latter two, with more detail. I would literaly cream my self with reckless abandon.
>>
File: 1270667920117.jpg (20KB, 285x281px) Image search: [Google]
1270667920117.jpg
20KB, 285x281px
>>52241889
see, thanks to the generic modularity, I use it to play old settings like Eberron and the like. Pulling all the fluff from the game books and running on a skeleton of GURPS instead
>>
>>52239225

I want to use the "Transhuman Stars" and "Galactic Federation" setting modification options from pages forty & forty-one of "Transhuman Space: Spaceships 8" to mix the setting of THS into space opera. But I still desire to not sacrifice too much of the firm to hard scifi tone of THS. Therefore I'd like to ask you guys the following question:

>"Which space opera setting does the best job of being a radical hard scifi setting while still involving intelligent aliens/non-solar sapients?"

Preferably with as much thinking and research behind it as what was put into Transhuman Space. ... I'd like to pillage ideas from said setting as I apply the hitherto mentioned modifications to THS.
>>
>second session of the Maid RPG campaign today
>GM decides to use the random event table now, which he avoided during the first session
>session ends in nuclear holocaust, which our household narrowly escapes
What a perfect transition to GrimWyrd, which started immediately afterwards!
>>
File: 1449960168318.jpg (105KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1449960168318.jpg
105KB, 1024x768px
>>52242427
>>52242455
It's not yet a nuclear holocaust scenario...
Just wait for the Thaumatological Storms...
>>
I apologize for sounding like a pervert, but does GURPS have rules for clothing damage? As in getting your clothes ripped off through the course of a fight?
>>
>>52243029
make a judgement call; crushing shouldnt do much, cutting does lots, burning more, and corrosion is terrifyingly worse

I think it gets casually mentioned somewhere. Just remember clothes should be injury tolerance: homogenous, but with 1> HP
>>
>>52243029
Low-Tech 2 or 3 has rules for cutting armor straps. You could also use the damage to object rules. A shirt is probably Diffuse and only has six to ten points of HP, so it'd take a few good cuts to tear it apart completely.

Pervert.
>>
>>52243029

Off the top of my head from Basic Set: -Ish.

There are rules for weapons/armor/etc being destroyed. There are rules for being tangled in clothing (capes). Smash them together and you're good(ish) to go
>>
File: 1408920889800.jpg (192KB, 1111x1750px) Image search: [Google]
1408920889800.jpg
192KB, 1111x1750px
>>52243029
Dude, its 4chan
>>
>>52243286
Is that Incase?
NEAT.jpeg
>>
Is there no way to lower the recoil of a weapon? I find it kind of absurd that even ST50 monstrosities still don't have 100% control over the recoil of a 5.56x45mm rifle.
>>
>>52243821

IDK about RAW, but my instinct is roll vs ST-Rcl

Also: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=22938

Word of Kromm is as follows:

>The effect of ST on shooting is that if you don't have enough of it, you suffer a skill penalty. Once you hit the ST listed for the weapon, the skill penalty goes away. More ST doesn't help.

>In 4e, Rcl has nothing to do with any of that. It's the fundamental limit on the weapon's inherent accuracy based on how much its internal components bounce around when you fire it -- how far the slide moves, how smoothly it cycles, all that. Being really strong won't help unless you can somehow reach inside the pistol and use your strength to make the weapon feed more smoothly and clamp down the various moving parts.

>You'll note that while the 3e Rcl stat was ST-dependent, we've decoupled Rcl from ST in 4e. ST measures controllability issues that the user can do something about; it goes down when you attach a stock, for instance, or use two hands. Rcl measures controllability issues that the user cannot affect; it doesn't necessarily go up as the round gets more powerful. In principle, a gun firing any round could have almost any Rcl value, depending on how good the gun is. It's more about whether the weapon operates smoothly than whether it requires great force to control.

>A good example is a 12ga shotgun. It requires a fair amount of strength to control: ST 10 in two hands, vs. ST 8 for a .38 revolver in just one hand. However, its Rcl is only 1 while the .38 has Rcl 2 or even 3. This is because the shotgun pellets all leave at once, and the gun's recoil doesn't influence them much, while the revolver has a cylinder turning, lacks the shotgun's big springs, etc. Being really strong won't change any of those factors. It will, however, let you fire a .44 Magnum revolver (ST 11) instead.

Basically:
Skill Penalty for Weakness = Can't control the weapon

Recoil = Gun's readiness vs unreadyness
>>
>>52243971
Maybe? But higher caliber weapons have higher recoil values, and I very much disbelieve that to be because of 'Moving internal parts.' I think it's based on caliber and... Maybe it's just constant because balance? I've always thought the ST and Rcl divide was a little silly.
>>
>>52243971
>>52244042
Also, to add, ST penalty wouldn't affect a weapon for the first shot if it was recoil based. I've always thought it was based off of how heavy the weapon was.
>>
>>52244042
Fucking KROMM just told you otherwise man
>>
>>52244042
>But higher caliber weapons have higher recoil values

But changing the ammo doesn't change the rcl.

It's a bad name though, give you that, when it's more like readiness.

Because, come on. You're telling me a person can't get the gun back under control after firing a shot?
>>
>>52244042
>But higher caliber weapons have higher recoil values,

They do, but once you have the ST to handle them, recoil becomes a non-issue. More ST doesn't help.

>>and I very much disbelieve that to be because of 'Moving internal parts.

That's not what he wrote, you brain dead fuck.

He talking about accuracy: "It's the fundamental limit on the weapon's INHERENT ACCURACY accuracy based on how much its internal components bounce around when you fire it,"

He's pointing out that additional ST beyond that needed to handle the recoil will not improve a weapon's accuracy.
>>
>>52244361
Inherent accuracy is represented by ACC. He's talking out of his ass for the most part to justify the fact that recoil is just there for balance and to make certain weapons not inherently better.

Recoil is "Firearms only. A measure of how
easy the weapon is to control when firing
rapidly: the higher the value, the
less controllable the weapon. Rcl 1
means the weapon is recoilless, or
nearly so."

But one's personal strength heavily factors in to how controllable a firearm is for multiple shots. Even if you meet the minimum ST, having more would still hypothetically make the recoil less taxing. Someone with 50ST would find that firing a 5.56x45mm feels like firing a .22, and a .22 feels like it's recoilless.
>>
>>52244361
>>52244472
Also, pic related. Something meant to help control recoil, as in, the impulse given by firing a shot, increases a weapon's Rcl value when folded. That further discredits that Rcl is about 'accuracy.'
>>
File: black knight.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
black knight.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>Play loads of ST and arm ST knight with big sword
>Pretty incompetent at most things other than sword, but incredibly tough
>Many levels of hard to subdue
>Many levels of hard to kill
>High-pain Threshold
>Trying to recruit any wandering warrior into my order
>Come across ridiculously strong warrior who lives in village protecting it.
>Demand he join me, challenge him to duel
>Get arm cut off
>Get leg cut off
>Roll well enough to completely shrug it off.
>Try to persuade him into joining
>3

It was then that he knew there was no way to defeat the knight. All he could do was kill him.

>mfw
>>
File: Burn-notice-sam.jpg (778KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Burn-notice-sam.jpg
778KB, 1920x1080px
Is there an advantage that's like Gizmos but for people? As in, the character, on a successful roll or something, happens to know or be friends with just the right person need in a certain situation.

For example, a character like Sam Axe from Burn Notice would have such an advantage. Whenever they needed to do something that the characters couldn't do by themselves, Sam always had "a friend" available. Like, if they need to know something about an ongoing police investigation, Sam would have "a buddy at the FBI", or if they needed a nice car he would have a rich lady friend to lend him one, or stuff like that.

Point is, I want to play a character that has lots of "friends" for any situation like that in a modern day spy game, is there an advantage for that?
>>
>>52245180
Modular Abilities, with a "Social Advantages only" modifier.

I think there's something like that in Powers....
>>
>>52245180
Well tended to serendipity
As well as contact groups
>>
>>52243029
>>52243029
DF Swashbucklers has some rudimentary clothing damage rules. Essentially, clothing loses 10% of its value after each hit that penetrates, and after 10 hits only shredded rags are left. These rules are extrapolated from rules in DF8 about damage to artifacts with set gems and inlay etc., I think.
>>
>>52245308
I don't think that would work well for what I have in mind, but where in Powers is it? I had a quick look and couldn't find anything like that.

>>52245315
Serendipity seems a bit too general.

Contact Groups on the other hand seems too limited in that you have to choose your Contact Group in advance and it doesn't allow overly broad groups. Still, Contact Groups seems to be the closest to what I want so I'll see what my GM says.
>>
>>52245180
Claim to Hospitality
>>
>>52245180
Power-Ups: Impulse Buys gives new ways to spend character points, and one of them is on adding a character to the scene, with characters Deus Ex Machina'd on to the stage costing more. Destiny costs 5 points/level and gives a refilling pool of points you can spend on impulse buys. Having Destiny (Lots of Friends) may work.
>>
>>52245476
Contacts are individual skills; I'm pretty sure Contact Group with Spy Skills-16 is legit.
>>
>>52245476
>Serendipity seems a bit too general.
That's why limitations are a thing.
>>
>>52246093
You could break it up a little. Contact Group (CIA) and Contact Group (Smugglers) and Contact Group (Mercenaries) along with Contact Group (Mafia) could give you friends in a lot of places that would whisper things in your ear. It's not "I have friends EVERYWHERE" but you could always buy another contact group if you need to build up your web in game. You certainly know somebody that could get you an introduction.
>>
File: 1465499951771.jpg (81KB, 736x800px) Image search: [Google]
1465499951771.jpg
81KB, 736x800px
Grimwyrd today!
>Party is confined to a storage room until the Lord Marshall decides what to do with them
>Roderick the previously-a-noble off into the city for a healer for Falkirk(the comatose wizard)
>Rod encounters his Fae emmisary, and is rewarded for his service. He turns over a relic silver spear, receives his former knightly armor and arms, decorated with the tabard of the Verdant Kingdom
>Also granted a blood rose, a token of the Fae, to heal Falkirk

>He returns to the party, espouses, the group is wary of more "magic wizard bullshit" but don't have many other choices
>Rod does the thing, and BAM, fairy circle around Falkirk, and he's cocooned in rose Vines and blossoms
>At that same moment, above I. Timberkeep, a cry of pain, a thud, and muffled voices
>Cue everyone arming themselves and watching the doors

DYNAMIC ENTRY THROUGH CEILING EXPLOSION

>Shootout fight with warlock elves!
>Shadow swords and shields! Critical failures! GRAY THROWS A MOTHERFUCKER AT A MOTHERFUCKER!
>THE LEADER DROPS HIS MAGIC FIRE AND THE ROOM ABOVE BOILS IN GREEN FIRE

OH SHIT FIRE

>The group flees, the keep on alert!
>Roderick rallies the guard to bucket brigade!
>Deloth-ainur, the former demon worshipper, declares ITS FIENDFIRE! IT WILL NOT EXTINGUISH!
>The bucket brigade won't do! The timber built keep will fall! Surely!

>Syviis the elf TAUNTS THE FIENDFIRE
>IT FOLLOWS HER INTO THE YARD
>THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT

>The dust settled
>The fire extinguishers
>Cheers

Intense day. 4points for all.
>>
File: 1469296481770.jpg (59KB, 564x821px) Image search: [Google]
1469296481770.jpg
59KB, 564x821px
>>52242753
Grimwyld this week..

>The building was on fire, and for once it wasn't my fault.

Group's in the basement at a keep waiting for news when we get our bird back. Tells us there are weird hungry sprirts in the city feeding off people, the Lord Marshall just went home to get stoned and fuck.

Roderick got back with his magnificent mustache, now wearing his pimp bling armor and carrying a magic rose. He told us that the Fae said it would fix Falkirk, our sick friend. One Rose Ceremony later and Falkirk is encased in a bloody rose bush. This is a change, if not an improvement.

We get attacked! Someone gets stabbed upstairs and a few seconds later they blow a hole in the ceiling above us and drop in. The Dynamic Entry catches lots of us off guard, but Suori begins the fun by shooting one of them then asking what they want.

Quick brawl with the rest that dropped in ends when Gray picks up one of the elven women that were attacking us and throws her back up, out of the hole and into the bald, scarred, green-glowing bad guy that was yelling at us from above. He hits and there's a huge explosion, then fire drips down out of the hole. Evil hungry green magic fire.

Everyone evacuates the building and tries to put it out, but it's Slyviss that figures out she can lead it around with magic and get it exhausted trying to eat her.
>>
File: download.jpg (123KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
123KB, 1000x666px
>>52247286
>>52247380
Ha! Grimwyldmind.

The good
>Nobody was hurt. Well, that we care about. Other people died, likely in agony
>We haven't seen the last of bald scarred people trying to murder us.
>With Lifting ST 22 you can throw a 140 pound elf 8 yard, 2 feet and 4 inches.

The bad
>We haven't gotten paid. It feels increasingly unlikely that we will
>Our bird might have been eaten
>We are now officially homeless
>The hungry spirit thing is likely our fault
>>
I need powers based on illusion and energy for a witch. Got a budget for 300 points, she MUST have a Pact with pretty powerful demon and represent a well-seasoned witch when it comes to skills and advantages.
Everything else goes.

Please help, because I have no clue where to even start with this, as always, when making a magic user.
>>
>>52247504
Also, that 300 is without any disadvantages. This is for heroic high fantasy game.
>>
>>52247504
*energy drain

I guess this is about a time to hit the bed
>>
Anyone have any suggestions on what books to look into for a modern-day fantasy game?
There are like a ton of them and I'm not sure which ones to look into.
>>
>>52247517
You mean no disadvantages are allowed or they are simply not accounted for? What's the disadvantage limit, if there is any?
>>
>>52247613
Ritual Path Magic + High Tech + Powers + Action = perfect mix for urban fantasy. Horror might help if you are planning to make it dark fantasy or with outrigh horror vibes
>>
>>52247504
You obviously want a patron for the demon, then.

High IQ, points in thaumatology. Hidden Lore(Withcraft) if it isn't a common thing.

A lot of the rest sort of depends on what you want to do.
>>
Also are any of the Gurps location books interesting?
Like Gurps Greece, Gurps Egypt and so on?
>>
File: 1482080336416.jpg (5MB, 3216x4825px) Image search: [Google]
1482080336416.jpg
5MB, 3216x4825px
>>52247504

Some basic powers..

DR with Force Field and the Magic and Pact limitations, and maybe takes FP. A field of energy/fire/ect that deflects attacks and protects you. Ablative would be a shield that can be worn down, pure DR would just make you harder to hurt.

Innate Attack (Fire) at 2d to 4d with Pact and Magic limitations, and maybe Area. at 300 points it would be good to have an AoE that can take out weak, swarming monsters. You can just blast around yourself by shooting down if it lacks the punch to breach your DR.

Alternate Form and Obscure (Sight, Sound) with Cosmetic Only, Magic, Pact and Illusion limitations. You can look like someone else or clouad the minds of the weak willed so they don't see or hear you.
>>
>>52247635
It's 300/-75. Sorry for not being specific, it's really late up here, but I'm after a lenghty brain-storm with other players in my group and I'm still in blanc when it comes to figuring out how the even start with this character.
This is probably why I almost never play as magic users. I always get giddy about playing such characters and then hit the brick wall when actually making them.

>>52247660
It's supposed to be an old witch, a crone-like character hiding under bunch of glamour spells, with vast knowledge about all sort of magic,but also common lore. And Witchcraft is most definitely Hidden Lore in our homebrew. I know that I both want and need a bunch of illusions, but sleight of hand stuff is also highly seeked. The concept was also to cast from her lifespan, but I know this is a fuckload of work when it comes to designing spells, especially when in the same time designing a reverse version, draining energy from others, so I will directly stick to lethaly draining targers and roleplay the rest.
I'm flipping RPM back and forth, but I doubt it's going to work with this type of character. I mean sure, rituals are fine, great and would fit, but I also need something that can be cast on spot.
>>
File: 35147868_p0.jpg (343KB, 976x1024px) Image search: [Google]
35147868_p0.jpg
343KB, 976x1024px
>>52247286
>>52247380
>>52247455
To elaborate on how combat went:
>ruckus on the upper floor, party prepares itself
>ceiling comes crashing down, three elves jump down
>one is immediately shot dead by Suðri, who then asks what they want (he learned this from Bomrek)
>Bomrek draws his pistols and shoots the other two, wounding them
>we hear more voices above and more enemies leap down
>they attempt some dark magic misty sword shit but Syviis shoots one in the heart with an electric arrow and the party overall gives them no quarter
>Grey picks up one of the elves and throws her upstairs at the enemies above
>this makes someone spill their bottle of magic green fire demon and the building starts to burn
>party heads outside and tries to figure out how to extinguish the fire before it consumes the powder storage
>Syviis manages to extinguish the raging flame by luring the demonic part of it so far away from the physical fire that it goes out

That's what those knife-ears get for thinking they have any business underground.

Oh, and we now have to deal with magic nuclear fallout in the form of spirits that feast on emotions or some such.
>>
>>52247650
That's four books right there.
Would making a character be super complicated?
>>
>>52248027
Just use Monster Hunters 1.
>>
>>52248027
Nope, since you only need few bits from High Tech and Action. So it boils down to RPM and Powers.
Thus - super-easy and self-reinforcing.
>>
What about Gurps Magic?
>>
Why doesn't the stash have that pyramid with the high tech bows in it?
>>
>>52247944
Holy shit; it's that Suðri?
>>
>>52247801
I find that the easiest thing to do when looking for skills to fit a theme is to steal unashamedly from related talents and wildcard skills. Fire up the respective Power-Ups books and look for entries like Arcane Lore! or Wise Woman, see what they cover, and go from there.
>>
>>52248199
What about it? GURPS has half a dozen magic systems. That one is nothing special it was just first. Which one or ones being used in a game depend on the style of the game or the particulars of the setting.
>>
File: tumblr_ngfv0omYnb1qj5qvfo4_1280.jpg (499KB, 999x1502px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngfv0omYnb1qj5qvfo4_1280.jpg
499KB, 999x1502px
Is there an advantage that makes it impossible to be knocked out? Something that would let you stay awake at negative HP without rolling HT every second you are active?

>>52252713

Good point. I like GURPS: Magic for being flexible and easy to run as a GM, but it's got a bunch of very bad spells.
>>
>>52248603
Just an image I found on pixiv once which fit him pretty well (aside from the axe, helmet, and itty bitty beard).
>>
>>52247760
This looks good

>>52250124
And this helps a lot, since I'm in the middle of page flipping and it really looks promising

Thanks!
>>
File: 1454909603505.jpg (32KB, 732x465px) Image search: [Google]
1454909603505.jpg
32KB, 732x465px
>>52239225
Can someone explain how flamethowers work? The rules are a little esoteric to me.
>>
Flawless Momentum
Affliction (Striking ST 2, +100%; Cumulative, +400%, Maximum duration up to 30 seconds, -75%) [52.5]
How to make features
"Affliction is only usable on me"
"Stack added each time i hit target or when target successfully parry/block my attack" -- 3 rapid strikes = 3 potential applications
"All stacks lost when i miss or target successfully dodge"?
>>
>>52253678
A flamethrower is a jet
You pull the trigger, and get a stream of fire
To hit works like a melee attack with long reach. Specifically gaining the melee attack bonuses in tactical combat. But, it is a jet/beam attack
You get seconds of ammo, because you can hold down the trigger and spray an area over several rounds
>>
>>52254006
If you NEVER give it to others, do not use affliction. Use a Trigger and Maximum Duration(powers) and things like that
>>
>>52254553
>Use a Trigger and Maximum Duration(powers) and things like that
Then i cant stack hits or it will cost infinity points
>>
>>52254594
How so? How was see you building it in that manner?
>>
>>52254932
So if i buy Striking ST 2 (Maximum duration up to 30 seconds, -75%; Trigger (my attack don't miss or enemy dodge my attack), -15%) [2] i will get +2 Striking ST each time when my attack get contact with enemy?
>>
>>52243286
source?
>>
>>52255393
Yep. And Strikes St naturally stacks. So at worst, you're tracking a few durations as they wear off.

I'd imagine you'll want a spreadsheet with the damage table and some checkboxes
>>
>>52255402
Incase
Tumblr is the primary. Tons of futa, but it varies
>>
>>52255410
That is not at all how I see the rules in question. It actually only works once this way, you activate the Advantage with the first attack then it stays active for X amount of times, but it only works once. Otherwise you could get infinite anything with Trigger -X% (Do something).
>>
>>52254006
>>52254006
Only targeting yourself is worth -80% because normal limitations never go higher (or is it lower?) that that.
Powers has Terminal Condition; I'd look there for the "ends on a miss" thing.
Activating automatically on a hit/parry sounds like a mandatory Link to your natural attack.
>>
>>52255817
Limitations can go over -80%, I think, but the maximum limitation is at most -80% for each advantage or disadvantage.
>>
>>52255850
True, but few cannon limitations go beyond -80%, even if they're incredibly limiting.
>>
How would you model a guy who can tase people through skin contact and can extend that ability over his metal beating-stick and maybe through metal cables he can bind people with over a distance?
>>
>>52256499
Burning surge innate attack with aura
Universal Follow-Up or Imbuement
Binding with linked burning surge innate attack
>>
>>52256519
Oh yeah, imbuement was a thing. I had a vague idea how to do the other stuff, but I didn't think of imbuement. Thanks.
>>
>have to run a session in five hours
>haven't prepared anything
>their plot hook is just some bullshit i ad lib'd in the previous session because I had nothing then too
Are there any books full of monster statblocks that come recommended? These are modern characters that only have a couple pistols for self defense and aren't combat optimized by any means.
I just need something interesting that can happen to them while they take a walk in the woods. They're paranormal investigators. The setting is very campy and they've had conversations with ghosts already.
>>
>>52256954
Horror has plenty.
>>
>>52256954
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=63730
There's a .pdf with it all in the few last pages of the thread.
Are you really just going to throw monsters at them for 4 hours?
>>
>>52256977
Well not at them per se. I just need to pick one monster and expand it into a hunt.
>>
File: 1489920835313.png (31KB, 351x395px) Image search: [Google]
1489920835313.png
31KB, 351x395px
>>52239225

>Take a few days to make a few maps
>Write up all the story for those locations
>Make up sidequests, secret objectives and proper characters for those locations
>Players then proceed to take a 4 hour session to just cross the desert to get to the first location out of 3 because they are busy dicking around with each other and the NPC's.

I don't know if I should feel amazed or horrified.
>>
>>52255850
>>52256021
Limitations can go over -80% both individually and when added together. You can never get more than a total -80% from limitations.

That means if you have +500% of enhancements the most you can get credit for in limitations is -580% even if you have -7000% worth.
>>
Anyone have any cool Gurps character's they've created and are willing to talk about?
>>
Heu guys, do any of us do Javascript? Because look what I found

https://mewo2.com/notes/terrain/
>>
>>52257982

I guess it depends on what you mean by Cool since one of my favorites walks the thin line between cheese and cool.

Prime example I tried to make Steampunk Jack Sparrow/ Indian Jones and I ended up with a scheming and plotting vampire nobleman that usurped an entire kingdom and managed to kill tanks with a shotgun.

Also if you ever want to break the game with the High Tech book I recommend the.Winchester Model 1887 because you can fire 90% of the ammo types in game through that.
>>
One of my players wants to make a clockmaker. What are some skills or advantages he should consider taking?
>>
File: Treaty.png (801KB, 700x554px) Image search: [Google]
Treaty.png
801KB, 700x554px
/gurpsgen/, Gloranthanon here with another question for the veterans.

I'm currently working on the rules to allow players to "Heroform", by which they take on some of the aspects of a divine entity through ritual. The base for this is built on the Spirit Vessel rules from Thaumatology.

I have two approaches that I am considering:

1. Let the player heroform an entity such as a god, demigod hero, or ancestor in a very general way

This seems like the more complicated route -- coming up with stats for a bunch of different gods is a little daunting.

2. Let the player heroform an aspect of an entity and perform *specific actions* as defined by the entity's ancient deeds

These have the advantage of being written for me; all I have to do is stat them.

The first approach offers a lot of player freedom and significantly more power, while the second restricts the utility to specific exigences and perhaps makes it less interesting or worthwhile.

Which would be better from a Fun standpoint as a player, and also which would make for more compelling gameplay?
>>
>>52254543
Wait. So it does it's damage every second for the rof time? That's a insane amount of damage, holy shit.
>>
File: ZB2PMlY.jpg (381KB, 1918x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ZB2PMlY.jpg
381KB, 1918x1080px
How would I do Hisoka from Hunter X Hunter?

Here are his two abilities copied from the wiki for those who don't know what he can do:
>Hisoka can alter his aura's consistency into an incredibly sticky and elastic substance somewhat akin to bubble gum, albeit both characteristic are much more prominent. Bungee Gum is also extremely durable and flexible, as Hisoka can change its shape at will. It can both stretch and contract, depending on what Hisoka desires. It can be attached either by pointing at his target or through direct physical contact.

>Hisoka can apply his aura to any thin surface (such as paper or cloth) and manifests his thoughts onto it to change its appearance.[4] He mainly use this ability for deception.[38] For example, by using it on a cloth and wrapping it around a wounded body part, he can trick his opponent into believing that he's undamaged, therefore confusing them.
>>
File: 001_Bailey.jpg (119KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
001_Bailey.jpg
119KB, 600x900px
>>52260313
Engineer (Clocks), Mechanic (Clocks), High Manuel Dexterity.

And of course, Combat Reflexes.
>>
>>52261811
Nope. You deal the listed damage and might light the target on fire. There's rules for that under Burning damage.

To keep hitting them you have to keep the aim up.
>>
>>52262922
Tremendous boy-molesting fruit.
Cute cow outfits optional.
>>
>>52263294
Thanks, those seem like good choices. Machinist would also be a good skill, wouldn't it?
>>
>>52263294
Oh I have a question about High manual Dexterity.
It gives you a DX based bonus to things that require a delicate touch, but lists Mechanic and Machinist as example which are both IQ based. How do I handle that?
>>
File: bd2.png (32KB, 802x618px) Image search: [Google]
bd2.png
32KB, 802x618px
>>52263639
DX based machinist and Mechanic rolls
>>
>>52263639
>It gives you a DX based bonus to things that require a delicate touch, but lists Mechanic and Machinist as example which are both IQ based. How do I handle that?

Doctor Strange.

His Surgery skills are fine, his dex is shot. He can make the IQ rolls, but can't make the dex based rolls.

IQ machinist: Wat Do?
DX machinist: Can Do?
>>
>>52263715
>>52263742
Could you go into more detail? I'm still new to GURPS.

I thought that if you make a skill roll for a skill that you have, only the level of the skill and the modifiers are important.

For example I have Machinist 15 and do a roll for it, I have to get a 15 or lower. IQ or Dex isn't factored in at all, only when I purchased the skill. Please explain where I'm thinking wrong.
>>
File: 003_Golden_Hour.jpg (120KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
003_Golden_Hour.jpg
120KB, 600x900px
>>52263779
If you are doing something very delicate, like microsurgery or assembling a very small set of gears and springs for a clock, you can roll your Mechanic rolls based on DX instead of IQ.

For example, let's say you have Machinist at 15, because you have bought it up to IQ +3 and have IQ 12.

You also have DX 11 and High Manuel Dexterity 3.

If you are doing a very delicate job, the GM might have you roll a DX based Meachenist roll. You would roll at DX +3 (14) and add +3 for HMD for a total of (17).

>>52263517
Sure. Machinist is a great general skill.
>>
>>52263876
Ok thank you, that clears everything up
>>
>>52263715
>>52263742
Unless you take special perk you cannot swap attribute just because you want to. DX-based rolls for IQ-based skills are far less common, otherwise they wouldn't be IQ-based skills.
>>
>>52263779
A skill's level is defined as an attribute +/- a number, DX-2, IQ+1, etc-, and would change if the attributes would change (a +1 to DEX is a +1 to every dex-based skill). Some skills can be used in a way that it would make sense to consider them as based on a different attribute. The other anon's example is good, Dr. Strange couldn't perform a surgery worth shit thanks to his messed up hands, but he still knows how to perform that surgery, could solve surgical problems and his knowledge of the body's anatomy is masterful (this is perhaps a default). You could consider this to be a good situation to substitute the skill's governing attribute, whatever modifier to DEX the skill has, you apply to his IQ instead, and roll against this number. Of course, you can't perform the same tasks as you would with the original attribute.
>>
>>52263919

You're being a bit autistic, ain't cha' mate?

>>52263921
>The other anon's example is good, Dr. Strange couldn't perform a surgery worth shit thanks to his messed up hands

Thanks.

>>52263779

The autistic fuck has a point, you can have abilities based on other attributes and that costs points, how ever, this is different, hence the Strange comparison.

Basically, it's such a common house rule that it might even be in RAW.

Your knowledge isn't fucked, but your physical ability might be lacking. In my groups we (usually) add the margin of success to the alt-attribute roll to show how superior knowledge can make up for physical failings.

In game for your clockmaster guy, say it's a simple mechanisim, but it's fucking tiny. Why would you penalize their IQ based roll for it?
>>
>>52265159
>>52263919

High Manuel Dexterity covers pretty well that, yeah, there's a list of skills where you can make DX based rolls to cover fine manipulation, despite the skills being IQ based.
>>
>>52241958
how advanced we talking?
like, startrek extended universe lategame or Enterprise we're still basically nasa just with warp engines?
>>
Another quick question:
Skills like karate say that you get +1 or 2+ damage per die. So unless you have 19 Str or more you will never get more damage out of this skill right?

Also does this stack with boxing for example?
>>
>>52265414
>Skills like karate say that you get +1 or 2+ damage per die. So unless you have 19 Str or more you will never get more damage out of this skill right?

No like, you misunderstand. If I know Karate at DX+3 and I have ST 10?

My thrust damage is 1d-2, but I can straight punch for 1d+2.

Upping your strength basically ups the multipliers.

>Also does this stack with boxing for example?

I wouldn't let you. Are you throwing a Karate or a Boxing punch? You can't do both at the same time. But if you failed one roll I could be persuaded to let you roll against the other skill to keep yourself from completely fucking yourself.
>>
>>52265414
>Also does this stack with boxing for example?
These sort of bonuses are skill-specific and therefore only apply when you use that specific skill, it will never stack. If you use karate to hit, you'll gain it's bonus, if you use boxing to hit, you'll lose it and gain boxing's instead. This is the case with all the other weapon skills that grant bonuses as well.
>>
>>52252713
could you describe the different approaches of them?

in fact, a thing in the OP PDF that explains what each of the supplements is exactly wold help.
>>
How to handle having a trained dog? Not a familiar, but regular dog, well-trained for police work? Should it be under ally? And how "costly" it should be in points when your PC is 125/-25. After all, it's basically like making another character, only this one happens to be a German shepherd.
>>
>>52265823
Not him, but the titles are VERY self-descriptionary, as a rule for GURPS source books.
Martial covers martial arts
Action covers cinematic stuff and similar
X-Tech covers stuff related with specific tech level or type of technology (so Low-Tech, Bio-Tech etc)
All sorts of magic books are with fitting name (so Ritual Path Magic will be about rituals, Sorcery about "typical" spells etc)

And so on and forth. This makes them all so obvious and transparent, there is no need to even think what they could be about.
And when in doubt, while scrolling through internet depository of pdf files, you can always just google the titles... Just saying.
>>
>>52265682
>No like, you misunderstand. If I know Karate at DX+3 and I have ST 10?
>My thrust damage is 1d-2, but I can straight punch for 1d+2.

Wait, where do you get more than +2 damage from? The karate skills says +1 damage per die at DX level, and +2 damage per die at DX+1 level or better.

I think you mean that the "or better" part is +1 for every level above DX level, but then its really badly worded. Why not say "You get +1 damage per die for every karate skill level above DX-1"?
>>
So do you guys got any general GMing advice for new GMs?
What makes a game fun for you?
>>
>>52239225
does GURPS hae the same "easily broken" issue as other classless systems?

M&M had it bad. Victory had it bad, I think I remember hearing someone complain about savage world having it bad as well, though I've never played it...

I want to know how much I need to scrutinize my player's character sheets. I have at least one habitual optimizer.
>>
>>52266676
>"easily broken" issue as other classless systems
I'm not even sure what you are talking about.

This system is designed, intended and works around AVERAGE. There are no "instant win" builds, no "hiper-powerful combos" or shit like that, because the moment you define point limit, your players need to fit within that framework. There is a handful of advantages you can expect from players to almost routinely pick, but they aren't either "game-breakers" nor something that would be unexpected from certain types of characters (like Combat Reflexes, which is a must-have for pretty much anyone doing heavy fighting, but it's not broken)

The only real issue starts when you want to play, say, Supers game and give your players 500 or more points. But with doing so you are literally asking them to deliver a demigods on their sheets. Average "competent badass" is usually within 125/-25 point limit, meaning 125 points up-front and further 25 optional limit of points gained through disadvantages

So I guess the answer to your question is: NO.
Even if I'm still not sure what you've been asking for.
>>
>>52266676
No, GURPS might have some powerful combined powers, but the inherent assumtion of a GURPS game is "The GM will approve all sheets for play"
There is no arguing RAW against a GURPS GM. The very nature of it precludes the argument
>>
File: 1402362974232.jpg (356KB, 500x726px) Image search: [Google]
1402362974232.jpg
356KB, 500x726px
>>52265838
Ally, generally. It takes a long time and a lot of work to bond with a working animal, though you could also just have Animal Handling (Canines) and be able to work the dog, but not have a serious bond with it.

>>52265414
Thrust damage scales with ST, starting at 1d-2 for ST 10 and going up by 1 every odd-numbered ST point.

A basic punch starts at thrust -1, so with ST 10 and 0 Karate at DX-1 you punch for 1d6-3.

With Karate at DX +0 you get +1 per dice of thrust damage. For anyone with ST 18 or less, that's just one dice. But this means that if you have karate at DX+0 and ST 10 you do 1d6-2 instead of -3.

With Karate at DX+1 or better you add +2 damage per die of thrust damage. This means that at ST 10 you hit for 1d6-1, harder then a normal person with a pair of brass knuckles. With ST 11 and karate at DX+1 you hit for a nice, full 1d6.

Of course, kicks and kicks with boots are compatible with karate. This allows an ST 10 person to deal 1d6+1 damage with a kick, boots and karate +1, or 1d6+2 at ST 11. This makes for some serious injury, and the most damage you can do without a weapon at those levels of strength. Great if you want to take people down with strikes, rather then slow grappling.
>>
>>52266676
GM usually includes "classes" in his gameworld to keep the advanage/disadvantage combos from getting too crazy. Also you know its a system where RPing is equally important as the mechanics so being a MUNCHKIN or Power Gamer is usually frowned upon.

There are supplemens in GURPS tho, if you wanted to play munchkins and dungeon crawlers.
>>
>>52266812
You have the most disgusting taste in women.
>>
File: 1424534263640.jpg (278KB, 1410x1940px) Image search: [Google]
1424534263640.jpg
278KB, 1410x1940px
>>52266364
>What makes a game fun for me?

Look at the challenges my character would be best at and give me things where I get to use them. If I've got lots of Investigation and Beat the Shit Out of People powers, let me investigate something then beat people up. Also look at the flaws on the sheet and think of interesting, fun ways to use them rather then to just punish me. If I've got a dependent let me go save them from people, for example.

>Advice?

SL 12 is average for skills a NPC will be trained in, and Dodge 8 is average for their defense. If the players get into a fight with random foes you can just have them have HP 10, Speed 5 and Dodge 8, then attack with an appropriate weapon and SL 12.

You can build proper NPCs later, but that keeps it easy.

GURPS does low fantasy with minimal or no magic for the players really well. Dark, fighting monsters with steel and courage stuff is wonderful, and the TL 3-4 characters tend to be easier to build then modern ones.

If a scene is getting slow have men run in with weapons to try and kill the PC's. Put a clue in their pocket for where the story should go next. (A matchbook from a club, or a note that says "come to the old mill after you kill those meddlesome people")
>>
>>52266812
Ok thanks for the explanation, but the numbers contradict with what >>52265682 said.

But I read it the same like you, meaning you don't get +3 damage per die for DX+2, or +4 damage at DX+3 etc.
>>
File: 1431110012792.png (1MB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1431110012792.png
1MB, 640x960px
>>52266921
Yeah, I'm not sure where he is getting that set of numbers. Part of it might be forgetting that Punch starts at thrust -1

>>52266855
But I have great taste in dogs.
>>
>>52266812
Animal Handling won't do. I mean, it will do to handle the dog, but I need basically an NPC, so like I thought - Ally. Are there any limiatations, or just treat it with standard No Fine Manipulators, Size, Vertical etc stuff usually picked for animals?

Or maybe there is some dog template somewhere and I've missed it?
>>
>>52266969
Basic Set, page 457 has Large Guard Dog, and iirc Low-Tech has some other variants.
>>
>>52266969
There's a Domestic Animal meta-trait on Basic Set page 263. It has Cannot Speak, Hidebound, Taboo Trait (Fixed IQ) and Valuable Property.

A dog would also have sharp teeth, extra legs (4 legs total), No Fine Manipulators and Discriminatory Smell, I believe.

Note that normally a GM builds an ally, with player help, so don't expect to be able to go crazy there.
>>
>>52266996
Will look up

>>52267045
My GM basically said "Forget it, I'm not making stats for animal, those are always pain in the ass, go ask GURPSGEN"
Well guess what I'm doing right now.
>>
>>52266951
>But I have great taste in dogs.
Are you a chink?
>>
>>52267174
How many points do you have to work with? I'll build you a doggo.
>>
>>52267174
>My GM basically said "Forget it, I'm not making stats for animal, those are always pain in the ass, go ask GURPSGEN"

Your GM seems like a lazy guy.
>>
>>52267232
If it works with ally - and apparently it does - I'm allowed to pick a 50% one, rounded up. My own character is 125/-16 (the game is 125/-25), so I guess that leaves a 71 point budget

>>52267237
He's cool, but whenever it's no longer two-legged or not a humanoid to stat, he just shrugs.
And I fucking need that dog with proper stats, advantages, disadvantages and skills.
>>
Is there any advantage for taking boxing over karate other than its cost? Karate seems to be better in any way.
>>
>>52267368
There are probably some techniques in Martial Arts based on Boxing but not Karate, I don't know, but I do think the purpose is saving some points by skipping learning how to kick.
>>
>>52267430
Karate also makes parrying your unarmed strikes harder.
>>
File: BFD.pdf (37KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
BFD.pdf
37KB, 1x1px
>>52267328
>>
>>52266758
In M&M for instance, through cheese, one could build a character that is much stronger than what the amount of build-points they have been given to work is supposed to suggest. Their number-strength caps off based on power level, but adding on versatility and additional effects can be made trivially cheap, essentially gaining like 9 max-strength powers for the price of 2.

Everyone else is playing street-level city district heros, except the one player who read some threads on Giants in the Playground and Pun-pun tier munchkinned his way to "belongs in the justice league" because he combined half of everything into being alternate power feats of each other.

In Victory, it's very easy to add multiple inconsequential downsides to a power or item to significantly reduce it's cost, allowing one to buy something much, much stronger than should be feasible for the budget provided. Like making your Avatar-style mech-suit technically pedal-powered and have an ugly paint job, or the barbarian becoming a cheap drunk and generally considered unpersuasive and bad at sex when he's in the middle of being an unstoppable screaming deathball of rabid destruction.

Is GURPS similarly vulnerable to stupid cheese? Do I need to be wary and carefully search for potential cheese in my player's sheets, accidental or intentional, or is the system robust and hard enough to cheese that I really only need to give them a cursory glance to make sure the math looks right and they fit the setting?
>>
>>52267563
Do dogs really have IQ 5? That seems a bit high.
>>
File: tumblr_od9tddSxcO1qgj9ilo1_500.jpg (128KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od9tddSxcO1qgj9ilo1_500.jpg
128KB, 500x667px
>>52267648
GURPS is vulnerable to this, but it's countered somewhat by a few things.

The first is that player characters aren't, by default, invited to create their own Supernatural and Exotic powers. Those exist, but in many games the only way to get them is to be a member of a race that has them. Player design powers are also expected to be reviewed and approved by a GM, like if you've made your own class or race in D&D, so you can't freely min-max there.

That said, player characters vary a lot power wise at the same point total. One that knows how to use points efficiently and has a focused character build can get a lot more raw power then someone that doesn't, but it isn't a huge problem.
>>
>>52267563
where is Extra Legs?
>>
>>52267742
So you only pull powers directly from the books, no system for modifications or adjustments on those powers exist? No way to make them more powerful, less powerful but cheaper, etc?
>>
>>52267715
No, that's a terrifyingly huge and intelligent dog-like creature.
>>
>>52267793
That is all there, and there are robust rules for modifying a power in ways that adjust the cost.

Exotic and supernatural powers are typically not available unless the setting or GM has made some open to you though, and in that case they generally put rules and restrictions on how you can modify those powers.
>>
>>52267743
Fuck, I knew I forgot something.
>>
>>52267807
Considering the largest dogs only get up to 3.5 feet, and this one is 3.75, yeah, this is in fact a bloody huge dog.
>>
File: 1394006028540.jpg (27KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1394006028540.jpg
27KB, 500x332px
>>52267563
Thanks a bunch!

No, for real
>>
File: c1920x1080_54.jpg (63KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
c1920x1080_54.jpg
63KB, 1920x1080px
>>52267563
>That weight
>>
>>52267563
>this doggo weighs as much as me

WARHOUND
>>
>>52267563
>>52267943
Wouldn't Target Vitals (Throat) be a good technique to add?
>>
>>52267849
So, powers exist for yo to select from, a-la M&M, and you can modify them, a-la M&M.

Avoids the Victory "build my own power out of modular components" style of cheese.

Still don't see how it avoids the "use modifiers to transform powers into things that are not only downright silly in terms of strength but below any reasonable cost to boot," unless it is just hyper anal about its balance.
>>
>>52267563
>>52267943

I could easily ride this dog, and it weighs 40lb more than me.
>>
>>52267976
By default players don't get to build/modfiy powers to take, they pick from a list provided by the player or GM.

Check out After The End 1 for an example of this.
>>
>>52267976
>Munchkin's Universe-shaking Nondirectional Cosmic Hyperluminal Kinetoelectromagnetic Interference Neurodisrupter (M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.) (+5190%):

>Toxic Attack 1 point (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 2475880078570760549798248448 yards (about 74 gigaparsecs), +4550%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%) [53].

>Notes: It's a cosmic attack, literally. Pulses of cosmic energy that radiate from the attacker (reaching 74 gigaparsecs in a flat second) burn out the neural system of living beings in the affected area, and remember that even the edge of our universe is "merely" about 10 gigaparsecs away from Earth. Also note that an Area Effect attack with Emanation involves no to-hit roll and simply affects anyone in the area. Furthermore, it allows victims only to dive for cover, and actually there's no effective cover since this Cosmic, Irresistible attack ignores DR. In conclusion, the user can attack every living thing in our entire universe, with 1 point of damage, 300 times per second. For only 53 points.
>>
>>52268015
Clever, but RAW prevents it. Emanation and Rapid fire are one of the few things explicitly forbidden from being slapped together.
>>
File: Giant Hound.pdf (37KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Giant Hound.pdf
37KB, 1x1px
>>52267968
>>52267943
>>52267930
>>52267876
>>52267743
Fixed.
>>
>>52268037
Fine. then it's /merely/ unavoidably attack everything alive in a radius 7 universes long for 1 point of damage once a second.
so much better.
>>
>>52268083
Looks great mang. Saving.
>>
>>52268083
Good shit.
>>
>>52268093
Well, it's still absurd, and still very clever, but it breaks RAW as it is. Also no GM would allow it. It's the crazy Kobold thing of Gurps.
>>
>>52268093
Yeah, but all it takes is one person with Ocular Ability, Time Jumper and a pillow to stop ya.

"I go to fire my innate attack!" "You were retroactively smothered in your crib by a man that foresaw what you would do today."

On the other hand.. he's less point efficient, so you clearly win.
>>
>>52268127
Anon's question was "Is this game safe enough that I don't have to worry about Pun-pun potential and can just give things a cursory glance, or do I need to watch every single thing my players create like a hawk because I've got at least one player who chronically powergames"

I'd say I answered his question for him.
>>
>>52268093
>unavoidably
It can't penetrate anything with DR 1 (Cosmic, Defense, +50%) [8]
>>
>>52268167
You can stop every abuse like this by just saying they can't make their own powers. Unless you are playing a superhero game it's very minor, and if you are playing a superhero game you can't help but need to carefully review every character anyway.
>>
>>52267976
>hyper anal about its balance
Mostly this. There are edge cases that might come up. It's not usually too bad. You could get ATR 1 for 4 points per level if you work it. You'd have to do something like end up wracked with pain and maybe a heart attack when it wore off, having to meditate before starting it up, and spend a character point per level to activate it (and I'm sure a few bad catches are missing, I'm trying to remember what one of my players tried).

If a player even tries to do that sort of thing and it doesn't fit the game everyone else is playing it's the GM's job to say no. If he says yes it's his job to make sure the bad shit comes up. That's what the player wants after all. It's only polite to remind him and help him out.
>>
>>52268247
The minimal cost of ATR is 20 points, Limitations are capped at -80%.
>>
How do i teach noobs combat
assume none of them read or can read the book
>>
>>52268292
Start at http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/melee/index.php?id=one-full

Then have them play a combat heavy TL 3 adventure with pre-made characters with some basic weapons and equipment. Explain to them their options each turn and make sure to tell them that turns in GURPS are very small, it's okay to lose one to readying a weapon or moving.
>>
>>52268324
I found it easier to teach them with ranged gun combat first, then move into lower tech levels, but that may be because I was more comfortable with Gun mechanics myself. Do what this anon says.
>>
>>52268015
>>52268161
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/pdf/GURPS4eAdvantages.pdf
Honestly, this isn't flagrantly scarier than many other 50point buys. Decidedly on the high side of things, but theres a grenade machine gun in here as well as like egregious spontaneous combustion of the surrounding area upon taking injury, a clone gun, and baleful polymorph, and 40 other really neat things.
>>52268083
this wolf has 14 hp. That means literally universal nuisance man, Speaker of the Vast Glub, needs 14 uninterrupted seconds to kill it off, meanwhile hes made an enemy of everything alive. Meanwhile AGL guy likely pulped it in one trigger squeeze. Seems fine.

>>52268213
>Irresistible attack ignores DR
>>
>>52268437
>I don't understand how cosmic defense works
>>
>>52268083
Shouldn't a dog have Horizontal?
>>
Whe throwing zombies at the PCs, do you play up their injury tolerance, high pain threshold and high HT? That all kinda makes them sound bullet sponges to me.
>>
File: 1380660034384.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1380660034384.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>52268512
This is a pretty good example of what GURPS character creation is like for new players.
>>
>>52268512
It should have Quadrupled meta-trait, which includes all relevant stuff:
Quadruped: You are a four-legged
creature with no arms (a “centauroid”
would simply take Extra Legs – plus
Hooves, if equine). Extra Legs (Four
Legs) [5]; Horizontal [-10]; and No
Fine Manipulators [-30]. -35 points.
>>
File: 1482809641665.jpg (145KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482809641665.jpg
145KB, 640x800px
>>52268572
Depends. I often use them with Injury Tolerance (Unliveing, No Vitals, No Blood), High Pain Threshold and a few extra HP, but also Fragile (Unnatural and Brittle) so when they hit negative HP they go down and hits to limbs tend to tear them off. If I'm using several I will also scatter around some injuries to start, maybe a crippled leg here and a missing arm there.

Injury Tolerance (Unliveing, No Vitals, No Blood) encourages good aim and big guns. If you don't go with Fragile (Unnatural) then it becomes a very good idea to blow off limbs. Grinding them all the way down to -50 HP to kill them can take a long time, but they are relatively harmless with the legs off.

The other option for fun zombies is nothing but Beastial and Berserk (Battle Rage, CR 3). These are nothing but normal humans that don't feel pain, want to kill you and get +4 to HT rolls to keep standing and fighting at negative HP.
>>
So my GURPS campaign that I was GMing fell apart. Mainly because the story wasn't going anywhere, but also due to the fact that one of the players was being too impatient and it pissed me off.

I basically told my players that, at first, there would be no magic in the setting, but then there would be. It was to act like a plot device. A power up to make them strong enough to fight the forces of evil, blah blah. I had expected to have it be only 4 sessions at the maximum before the first bits of the loose story that I had would start to reveal themselves.

Boiled down, it would be a medieval Shadowrun scenario, except it's completely the fault of the players. A spirit would lead them to a tomb, have them drop the Magic Sink Stone down a pit, and it causes the end of the world as they know it. The spirit reveals himself to have just been an Evil Wizard who hid himself in a low-powered state as a shade (because not ALL magic is gone!) after a great war thousands of years ago. Then, the Evil Wizard turns the party to stone. The party is then found by a Good Wizard, who will train the party to become Battle Wizards who will fight Evil, yada yada.

Unfortunately, I think the story is too shit. But the other problem is that things got delayed (both in-game and out) and the player that was very impatient kept saying shit like "magic when?" and all that. First it was cute, then it got annoying, and then I got pissed and canceled tonight's session, which was going to go through the "get the key" part at the least. Not to mention that he was a pretty shitty rules lawyer.

I should have never said anything about magic in the first place, if I wanted such a plot device to work.

Does anyone have any tips for pushing a plot onto players without it feeling forced and railroady?
>>
>>52268649
Ohohhh yes, that'd help a lot. How often do they lose limbs though? Injury tolerance would divide damage by 5.
>>
Are there any books with a few sample statblocks for various kinds of creatures, especially different kind of humans (like guards, policeman, thieves etc)? Of course I'm expecting to change/swap around/add/remove a few features.

Or do I have to do everything myself from scratch?
>>
File: 29864427496_6fbb57aa2e_b.jpg (300KB, 1000x734px) Image search: [Google]
29864427496_6fbb57aa2e_b.jpg
300KB, 1000x734px
>>52268663
Players like to have control and choices. I find an easy way to give that to them is to give them a location for someone that tried to have them killed, had their friend beaten or was just a huge dick.

This lets the players go to the location, scout it out if they want and deiced how and when to attack it. When they scout it out identify clear weaknesses for them but let them pick how to exploit them.

Once they are inside you can lead them around by curiosity and greed. A ghostly presence that gives them an item then begs them to follow it deep into a ritual chamber feels like something you COULD ignore.. but if you do, you are missing out on the story. The players feel the narrative current around them and (hopefully!) they play along with it, going to see what happens when they go into that dark chamber and unseal the well of magic.

Also, try to make the players the people the story is about. If there is a more powerful patron or mentor it should be clear why they can't just do it themselves. Maybe there's a Good Wizard, but he's very old and fragile, desperate to train them before he dies. Or maybe he's tremendously powerful, but trapped in one place. The players can exploit that by luring foes into the kill zone of the Omega Wizard, so they still feel in control.
>>
>>52268752
Pretty often. Injury Tolerance (Unliveing) doesn't do much to help Cut and Crush damage. You can also have bullet holes in zombies to show someone else has fought them first.

>>52268758
Dungeon Fantasy 2 has a collection of monsters, while you can find templates for different sorts of people in the Fantasy book, and in the Templates section of the Basic Set. Though those are pretty limited.
>>
So I wanted to get either the low-tech or high-tech book after I got the basic set a while ago. But I'm unsure which to get.

The setting I will play in is TL8, but no firearms or explosives will be used. Instead the characters fight with knives, swords, etc or barehanded. But computers, vehicles and the likes will be modern.

Which one would you recommend more?
>>
>>52269079
Low Tech is a great book and can be used for TL 8 primitives very well, but, and I only say this because I have to..

You can get a lot of great melee weapons in the Martial Arts book, basically the same ones as what you'd get in Low Tech. This also gives you the other stuff from Martial Arts. What MA lacks there is the other cool stuff in Low Tech and the Armor system, where you get a really detailed system for low tech armors.

High Tech offers some very nice things for a GM, but you can get away without it.
>>
>>52269160
Anywhere you can still get martial arts without spending more than 100 bucks?

I have the pdf from the mega link, but I like to have the books. High-tech is just as hard to find with a hardcover, but at least you can get the paperback version of it.

Low-tech can be found pretty easily though, so I'm probably getting that.
>>
>>52269234
Lulu can print hardback for about $30, the quality is decent. That said, yeah, it's hard to get for anything like a sane price if you want a original printing of MA.
>>
>>52268604
Quadrupled doesn't mesh well with Domestic, since they overlap. And if you ask me, Domestic fits better a dog than Quadrupled
>>
>>52268512
It should, but that's something I myself mentioned when asking for the dog in the first place, so it's not like I can't include it myself.
>>
>>52269520
Domestic Animal has nothing to do with morphology, how the hell do they overlap?
>>
Is it possible to get Jumper as a disadvantage, if you have absolutely no control over the ability aside "landing you somewhere, somewhen on Earth"?

And for the love of God, can someone explain me how languages work? I never understand when and if I should pay points for one, just like ability to read in them and when which modifier should be applied. I think this might be the biggest real language barrier, since the description provided in the Basic Set makes almost no sense for me, and GURPS never was published in my native language.
>>
>>52269568
Sorry, my bad. I've looked on the prepared sheet, rather than checking the traits themselves. So it means the dog should basically have... both of them?
>>
>>52268093
>>52268037
>>52268015
i'm pretty sure we've already 'fixed' the munchkin before
you can safely remove emanation for a small point cost (goes from 53 to like, 56 or something) and turn it into an ordinary area of effect attack anyway, and it'll still do anywhere from 1 to skill level+1* successful attacks on a tile per second

of course, what about the other 280+ shots that missed? RAW the scatter rules don't tell us exactly what to do with those missed shots because it doesn't take RoF into account, but i think the RoF rules say they have a 'chance' to hit targets behind the intended one. it's something like a roll of 9 vs each target behind the missed one, for each missed shot.
i'm hazy on those rules but somebody else can probably answer that one.
but assuming those missed shots all scatter properly you can really just give up on aiming because however far the shots scatter they're still going to be hitting the entire universe 300 times a second, and as far as i know they'll never hurt you because you can always exclude your particular hex from the AoE.
but even assuming the extra missed shots vanish into the ether just because you succeeded on your attack or something, it's still like roughly 1 to 20 damage per second

the ultimate effect is roughly the same, it just costs a little more and may require up to 300 individual scatter rolls. have fun with that one.

* you get up to a +4 bonus for attacking a hex, as per area attack. you can get more if you aim beforehand (innate attack acc is like what, 3?), and probably another +4 or so from the ridiculous RoF. i don't remember RoF bonuses offhand though. so the ultimate result might be something like a maximum of skill level+10 damage/sec assuming missed shots vanish

>>52268213
if you turn it into a corrosive attack the point value goes up by about 100, but it will erode cosmic DR by like, what, 1 point per every 10 total it does?

>>52268437
>universal nuisance man
kek
>>
>>52269600
Yes. Dog from basic set has both in addition to few specific advantages.
>>
>>52269588
For your first one, no. Uncontrollable is a modifier attached to advantages that reduces the cost by 10-30%, check B116.

For your second question. Languages competency is split into two parts (Written in Spoken) with four levels of understanding (None, Broken, Accented, Native). Each above None essentially costs one point for a total of 6 points to speak and read the language at a native level. You apply negative modifiers only when they try to use that language for something.
>>
>>52269588
Every character start with a Free Language at Native, the most common spoken Language in his/her culture.

I.E.: Modern day Earth, Your Character is French. Your start with French at Native.

Every other Languages must be bought. If you want to go into details you can buy different level for Spoken and Written.
>>
>>52269626
Not him, but I've just learned you can have more than one meta-trait at once...
... after playing GURPS for almost two years.
>>
>>52239225
What's a good amount of spells to start with in a 150 point game? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new.
>>
>>52270125

It's not a dumb question - it's an important part of the character.

There are a few templates for mages with ~150pts, which would give you a good idea of things. One is in the Characters book.

Regardless, for a Mage, there're a couple of important break-points. Skill 13 gives you reliability, Skill 15 gives you time and energy discounts.

In this case, 150pts would mean that your character would be the classically squishy and overspecialised wizard archetype if they tried to go for Skill 15 (14 INT, Magery 3, 20 spells = 135/150). Appropriate disadvantages can let you gain some basic survivability, but come with (of course) their own problems.

What kind of wizard were you going for?
>>
>>52270125
Depends entirely on how high your skill and Magery rank is and how much you want to focus on being "pure wizard", rather than having other tricks in your sleeves.

But answering your question - it can go anywhere from 1 to 20 spells. More than 20 is technically possible, but that would make you into a one-hit wonder, when just about anyone and anything can kill you just by looking in your general direction.

On a side note - if you are making a magic user without ability to pull sleigh of hand, you are doing it wrong. It has both great mechanical and roleplaying potential.
>>
>>52270219
>>52270262
20 seems like a lot. Is quantity better than quality? I was thinking about specialising in mind magic. But I've got a bit of Prot and Warning as well
>>
>>52265971
Sorry, I'm wrong, double checked word of Kromm is I'm wrong. Ah, Houserules.
>>
>>52270338

A dozen spells or so would be fine. Some protection for yourself is always good, and mind magic has some great utility and combat effectiveness.

Grab the lesser healing spell and restore energy as well - they're never a bad investment.
>>
>>52267368
>Is there any advantage for taking boxing over karate other than its cost? Karate seems to be better in any way.

Boxing is DX/A, Karate is DX/H, so it's a bit cheaper.
>>
>>52270381
>>52270262
>>52270219
Ok thanks a bunch dudes.
>>
File: Grimoire.png (10KB, 476x334px) Image search: [Google]
Grimoire.png
10KB, 476x334px
>>52270125
So, one last thing. Is this a decent enough grimoire now?
>>
>>52267368
There's a little table in How To Be A GURPS GM that explicitly covers the differences between Brawling/Boxing/Karate and Wrestling/Judo/Sumo Wrestling.

Most of it comes down to whether encumbrance penalties apply, retreat bonuses, Damage Bonus, and a couple of other things I can't remember off the top of my head right now. They all have different bonii and penalties for different things.
>>
Would a Wildcard! That covers basically every unarmed skill and technique(including stuff that defaults of ST), be OP, or too weak? Part of me feels it would be overpriced for something that could be done almost as well with a 5 point talent, and another part feels like that much combat ability is too much for a single skill.
>>
>>52270722
As long as the techniques have cascading default levels, I don't see why not
>>
>>52270763
What do you mean by cascading default levels?
>>
>>52270722
A touch OP, because Fist! already exists and it covers only unarmed strikes (plus, IIRC, some combat acrobatics) and relevant techniques, while it sounds like your wildcard also covers grappling.
>>
>>52270966
>>52270722
Not him, but I've always felt most of the non "archetype" wildcards, are usually pretty Underpowered/overpriced, since they usually cover stuff too similar, that easily defaults off each other, for a way higher cost than need be. They don't offer a few nice side things (like maintaining guns, for the Gun! Wildcard), but 9/10 times, a talent, or even just pumping one or two skills super high to allow great defaults, is way more cost effective. Especially since Wildcards start at such low levels.
>>
>>52270338
I said from 1 to 20. I didn't say 20 is good, nor implied that for single spell.

For me, the "perfect" number is having 2-3 utility spells, 2 protective ones (one strong enough to have higher DR than most of my attacking spells), at least one heavy puncher and at least one, cheap AoE. So that gives usually somewhere between 6 10 spells.
But I rarely play "pure" mages, since I hate being one-trick pony, so that's why I'd rather start with less spells than with less skills and less utility advantages.
>>
>>52270878
Check out Martial Arts; there's a section on it
You take FIGHT! Up to 20, and can use it to do anything Martial arts related. And any techniques are based on that 20, and any SUB techniques default further.
>>
>>52271083
Wildcard points makes a world of difference; same with wildcard bonuses.
>>
Can you buy a battlesuit as an ally with payload and control to carry you? One of my players essentially gets 400 points worth of physical abilities for a 36 point ally. Is that how its supposed to work?
>>
>>52271808
Yes that's legit, but GMs build allies with player input, not the other way around.
>>
>>52271808
You're the GM. You decide how it works (but it is good to discuss with players how they want it to work as well.)
>>
>>52271834
Does that mean it counts as a vehicle or how do I treat this?
>>
>>52272120
You build the Ally as an NPC with Compartmentalized Mind (Controls) and Payload (and probably IQ 0 too unless it's supporting an AI). The player sets the point value and gets to request shit.
>>
>>52272173
And the Allysuit just confers its DR and immunities to the character wearing it?
>>
>>52272207
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that defensive abilities affect things in the payload, which includes DR, Sealed, etc.
>>
File: 1447247534121-2.jpg (44KB, 282x341px) Image search: [Google]
1447247534121-2.jpg
44KB, 282x341px
>>52272289
So how do I resolve damage in this case? Regular armor doesn't have HP. Do I treat the suits HP as additional ablative DR for the pilot?
>>
>>52272328
This should all be covered under Payload. I'd look it up myself, but I'm phoneposting from work.
>>
>>52272444
>>52272328
It is worth noting that you might have an easier time just granting the desired traits to the character directly and slapping on some Gadget limitations.
>>
>>52272328
Regular armor does have HP. B558 has the formula for calculating it. Armor would provide cover DR, most likely, which is 1/4 HP for homogenous objects + DR. B408.
>>
>>52271808
It is possible, just make sure the vehicle is large enough to accommodate a passenger (with payload and ST enough to fit)

And then remember it's big! Can't drive a tank through an office building, or even into small hallways!
>>
>>52272452
That's also the approach to take if the suit modifies ST/move rather than replaces them.
>>
>>52273360
Yeah, if the suit is skintight like Ironman? It's gadgetry
If it's a big ass Eva mech, or even like, tank sized, then it's an ally/vehicle
>>
How do you go about rewarding your players in a game without magic items? I came from D&D and I'm really lost in this regard.
>>
>>52274147
Pay them in cash
Handjobs work too
>>
>>52268277
Look up Character Point-Powered Abilities
>>
If I want a guy to wield five weapons at the same time telekinetically, do I just buy Telekinesis 10 (Indenpedent +70%) five times?
>>
File: diselpunk_robot.jpg (71KB, 1280x750px) Image search: [Google]
diselpunk_robot.jpg
71KB, 1280x750px
I'm making a dieselpunk setting. In it, there are bots. These bots are pretty simple. The normal ones can do one function, as dictated by as program card. This would be like a worker bot going from point a to point b, then maybe turning around. Or a turret bot shooting a gun when there is anything in range of an area.

If they're particularly advanced, they may be able to combine function (going to point a to point b, while shooting anything in radius of their sensors).

I want to price these bots to where they're somewhat common, but still a big investment for the average person. Since the setting's TL 6+1, and we're going by the TL 6 starting wealth, how should I price these things?

For gameplay reason, I don't want the players buying 90 of these things and killing everything in a flurry of bullets, but I want the party to be able to afford one or two without them having to spend absolutely everything to do it.

Pic related, but most bots are not bipedal.
>>
File: 1374019746615.jpg (99KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1374019746615.jpg
99KB, 667x1000px
>>52274147
Depends on TL. In most low TL GURPS settings money is perfectly valid: High quality armor and weapons are very, very expensive and offer an interesting upgrade path.

Another good reward is servants/allies/helpers. A armorer to build them high quality equipment, a medic that an help them with healing faster, guards to keep their home safe and a spy to find out clues and new plot threads for them to follow.
>>
>>52274147

You can still give them what amounts to magic items.

For example, in one of my games (Shadowrun, but still), one of the characters was an Irish person, and had mentioned he came from a long line of IRA members. So, I gave him a webley revolver from Irish revolution. He thought it was the shit, and despite it doing next to no damage relative to his other guns, he still used it on a run as a symbolic thing.

So basically, tying in items from a character's backstory can be just as good. Doesn't have to be a weapon, can be a locket, a hammer, a chalice, whatever.
>>
>>52274747
I think you'll get more utility with buying it once (possibly without Independent) and getting a few levels of Compartmentalized Mind. I'm also not 100% sure your build is RAW.
>>
>>52271643
What the heck are those? Or is there somewhere I can read up on them at least?
>>
File: tumblr_objkalVCk21trcrazo1_500.jpg (50KB, 469x700px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_objkalVCk21trcrazo1_500.jpg
50KB, 469x700px
>>52275311
GURPS Power Ups-7; Wildcard Skills is likely the best write up. They are also in the basic set.
>>
Inspired by all this martial arts talk:
If I have Karate, and Judo(for example), can I parry 4 attacks at no penalty, 2 with each skill at the appropriate parry level?
>>
>>52275311
Every 12 points spent on a Wildcard skill gives you one "point" per session that you can spend to buy success and similar effects like a character point as long as it's for something related to the skill. A wildcard bonus is normally equal to the attribute bonus (e.g. +3 if the wildcard is at DX+3) and is applied to all sorts of things like ST for damage purposes with the wildcard's weapons, reaction bonuses against a specific group, raw Per rolls in relevant circumstances, resistance rolls against the wildcard's abilities, etc. In some cases, it's halved.

This is all covered in Power-Ups: Wildcards.
>>
>>52275497
Nope. You might be using different skills, but you still only have two parrying limbs.
>>
>>52275766
What if one had four arms? Would they be able to parry four times, twice with Judo and twice with Karate?
>>
>>52276316
I think someone with four arms can parry four times with Judo OR Karate. I think the reason the Basic Set specifies twice is because it wants to emphasize that you track each arm separately for parries and assumes a standard two-armed individual (a lot of the Basic Set assumes human-scale humanoids)

At least, that's how I see it. If you track weapons separately, you should track arms separately. If giving an eight-limbed dude eight daggers lets him parry with Knife eight times before eating a penalty, an eight-limbed dude should be able to parry with Karate eight times before eating a penalty.
>>
>>52239225
why would you ever play a game this bad?
>>
>>52277453
Not sure if bait or just stupid.
>>
>>52277484
guy, this is worse than DnD grappling rules.
>>
>>52277719
Shoot shotgun, get bonus to-hit based on X*Y, hit X+MoS times up to Y. What's so difficult about that?
>>
>>52277719
>>52277453
Fuck off, Vincent Baker.
>>
>>52277453
Nice meme daddy
>>
>>52270510

No. Lend Energy->Recovery Energy. A must have. Lets you recover FP faster. Puts you two points away from Minor Healing.

Further, it looks lie you're a support type. Mostly social. Grab Apportation.
>>
>>52274147
>If you don't have magic loot, you can't reward players
... what?

I mean... just reward them with whatever is suitable for a campaign. I remember my players being happy, because they were given an old car first aid kit. Granted, it was Reign of Steel game, but this precisely shows how important the context of the campaign can be.

And all what he >>52275181 said
>>
>>52277453
>>52277719
>Seriously trying this hard
I always wonder from where the hell people pick all those "GURPS is hard" graphics. I mean... this is picked from what? Three different books and mashed together?
Last time I've cared about any details related with shotguns was when checking their price after player wanted a custom-made TL7 one.
>>
>>52278664
What's more disturbing is that someone actually put so much effort to perform this level of cherry-picking, which means by default being at least broadly familiar with the game to pull it in the first place...
... and then use it for the sake of the meme. I mean at this point they are lying to themselves, but keep doing so. What for?
>>
>>52278691
That image already existed before the memeposter posted it. Some idiots decided that compiling fuckhuge images with loadsoftext as a "handy guide" to GURPS would somehow make the game more palatable, not less.
>>
>>52274147
what's wrong with rewarding with magic items? It's just stuff they have to buy with build points.
>>
>>52277453
wow, this is more disorganized 5e core. How are you supposed to find anything?
>>
>>52279203
>wow, this is more disorganized 5e core. How are you supposed to find anything?

It's stuff compiled from a few different books, and detail shit.

I mean the Solid stuff basically background info on tech levels and when different ammo was developed and what it changed.

I mean for fucks sake
>>
>>52279203
>>52277453

It's an image intended as a guide (albeit it's pretty shit) but the anon is using it to troll as if he's clever.
>>
>>52277719
No it isn't

1) Roll to hit, adding a modifier for number of pellets shot. For example, ROF 3x9 firing once would give 9 pellets, a +2 modifier to your effective skill. The first number of ROF is the actual number of shots you make, while the second is the number of pellets per shot. Simple multiplication.

2) If you make the roll, find the margin of success (your skill - roll made)

3) Use margin of success to determine how many shots hit. Since shotguns have a recoil of 1, each multiple of 1 in your margin of success = 1 shot hit. Thus if your margin of success is 9 then you hit with 9 shots.

4) Roll for damage for each shot hit. If this seems too tedious, then in the Basic Set there's an optional way to handle it by rolling damage for one hit, subtracting the target's DR, and multiplying by the number of hits (like if you rolled a 4, and you hit with 9 shots, you would deal 36 base damage)

It sounds complicated, but in play it flows well.
>>
>>52279771
I can't get my players to do basic d20 and get their math right quickly, and you're expecting multi-step order of operations?

This has got to be one of the crunchiest algebra slogs I've ever seen, how do you find time for story when a single player's turn takes minutes and at least two rulebook checks?
>>
>>52279771
I'm beginning to wonder if GURPS is meant for the same kind of audience that actually enjoys gui-less Dwarf Fortress...
>>
>>52277453

>A simple rule that anyone who plays High Tech should know
>A straight out given number
>Optional stuff
>One basic logic rule

Oh gee oh boy reading is hard.

I once made a character that only used a shotgun and I only read the rule once.
>>
File: bait.jpg (26KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
26KB, 308x308px
>>52279859
>>52279889

You people are fucking dumb.

You roll, compare numbers, roll for damage. If you don't want to deal with ""complicated"" rules, then perhaps Pathfinder is a more fitting game.

It's that fucking simple you trogs. Is basic addition and subtraction (and a little bit of multiplication) that hard?
>>
>>52279859

>I can't get my players to do basic d20 and get their math right quickly, and you're expecting multi-step order of operations?

Maybe stop playing with people under 8, or with an IQ above 80.

>This has got to be one of the crunchiest algebra slogs I've ever seen, how do you find time for story when a single player's turn takes minutes and at least two rulebook checks?

It literally just takes a single minute, since a player should know their own skill, kit and the variables for his shot are given before hand.

Say I have skill 14, combined bonuses and minuses is +1, I fire 3 shots and I roll 10. I will hit the 3 shots and out of that shot I will hit 5, 4 and 3.
>>
>>52277719
You know nothing of grappling rules.
>>
>>52279859
Yeah, sorry, but your players are fucking imbeciles. There's an investment of time to be made learning the rules of any game you play, and if they aren't even going to put in as little as it takes to learn basic d20, then maybe you should stick with candyland or something as simple.

It's ok, not every game is for everyone. We GURPSfags enjoy the small bit of crunch which makes, for us, a satisfying game, but if it's not for your players then it's not for your players.
>>
>>52279889
Dwarf Fortress has a GUI. The ASCII graphics are just another tileset.
>>
File: XS reading again.gif (447KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
XS reading again.gif
447KB, 960x540px
>>52279932
According to /tg/, reading is hard.
>>
>>52280258
Sauce? Is cute.
>>
>>52280123
Okay, seriously guy? This is worse than flipping Exalted, how do you not see how clunky and tedious this is?
>>
>>52280123
>small bit of crunch
There's smooth, there's crunchy, then there's chewing broken glass.
>>
>>52261742
In Unknown Armies there is a system for something like this, you get a "Heroform" skill that increases as long as you are playing your "Hero" role, but decreases if you go against it. You can use this skill to generate "magical" effects or substitute for other skills related to your "Heroform"...

In my homebrew game, I tend towards the second option, where players must choose aspects (and restrictions) that will grant them more buffs/powers towards their final "heroform", meaning that low-level "heroforms" will usually only have a few aspects and restrictions being not much different from your usual human, while high level "heroforms" have much more power but are bound by their own rules (effectively making them god-like in many ways).
>>
>>52280941
I second this approach.
>>
>>52280826

>Clunky and tedious
>1 roll, a easy to remember rule and a bit of math

Are you the reason child safe objects are made?
>>
>>52281119
the process you describe is not this
>>52279771
>>
>>52280826
It's not though? It's not even remotely difficult.

Take skill level, add bonus for total Rof, subtract penalty for range, roll against this number.
If you succeed, compare margin of success to recoil to find number of shots that hit.
Roll damage per hit, subtracting DR.

There's a couple of steps there, but nothing more difficult than, what, second, third grade math? This isn't hard. It's not differential calculus or anything. I've had people completely new to rpgs doing this on their own after walking them through the first, maybe the second, attack.
>>
>>52281235
>two rolls and a little bit of maths
Still not convincing anybody of your intelligence.
>>
>>52281284
>two rolls and math more complex than basic double-digit addition, remembering to account for any modifiers provided by item modifications, advantages, situational bonuses, etc.
>for literally every time a player or enemy shoots their shotgun

Yeah, nah. Not dealing with that, unless I've got like, a spreadsheet RNGing and calculating it all fot me and my players. That is WAY too much time. Especially since GURPS turns are shorter snippets of in-game time, meaning more of them transpire in a given scenario such as combat.
>>
>>52281438
Then don't play GURPS, nobody's forcing you
>>
File: 1385819584312.jpg (64KB, 1600x1143px) Image search: [Google]
1385819584312.jpg
64KB, 1600x1143px
>>52281438
In roll20 you can get a macro together with the relevant modifiers and data to roll out a shotgun attack with one click.

Note that in most case your modifiers are baked in. You don't have to recalculate your DX and relative skill level every time, that should be written down on your sheet. The ROF bonus will generally be one of 3 options based on how many shells you fired this turn.

Then you note modifiers for a sight (laser, reflex, ect) and possibly weapon bond, then note down Aim as +AIM if AIMED, and most of the time the only negative modifier will be range/speed.
>>
>>52281260
Every time someone points out clunky and tedious a GURPS rule is the defenders will always say that the math isn't hard. That true, the math isn't hard. But it is clunky and tedious. Calculating the number of seconds in a 30-day month doesn't require any math more complex than 2nd or 3rd grade. But it's still a pain in the ass
>>
>>52281643
Mmm, yeah, roll20 macro is a better solution than spreadsheet you're right. I'm just use to using those for impromptu formula solving.
>>
>>52281758
first they say "the math isn't hard" then they say "well then you're just dumb" then they say "no one is forcing you to play gurps.

4eG and PFG follow a similar defense patterns, albeit on different subjects.
>>
>>52281758

>>52281758
It's really only clunky and tedious if you pointlessly recalculate things by hand every time rather then write them down or drop them into a micro.
>>
File: Chapter 4.png (2MB, 2530x2299px) Image search: [Google]
Chapter 4.png
2MB, 2530x2299px
Grimwyrd updated map bitches!
>>
>>52278691
>I find it disturbing that someone could be familiar with GURPS and still think it's a shitty, clunky system. They must be lying to themselves, but why? Why would someone intentionally stay blind to the most perfect, godly system to ever bless this wicked earth?!
>>
File: IM8cl4b.jpg (178KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IM8cl4b.jpg
178KB, 2048x1536px
>>52281887
Neat. If we go north to that big city we could save on boot-leather and get on a boat going downstream. It's always nice to see a map where you can get around by barge.
>>
>>52281887
That's a big map.
>>
>>52265408

It would be the later but far closer to reality since the Transhuman Space setting is taking priority over whatever is mixed with it.

I guess what I should be asking is:

>"What are the most scientifically plausible aliens that I can use in the hard scifi setting of Transhuman Space?"
>>
>>52282020
>>52281887
What is your scale? 1 mile/hex?
>>
Does anyone have any recaps of attempts at playing/running post-biological civilizations (i.e. where all NPCs and PCs are Volitional AIs or Mind Emulations) in a GURPS game?
>>
>>52281438
That's literally the same situation (plus an additional roll) as basically any attack roll in any RPG. You roll with modifiers. All you did is take a dozen words to describe "modifiers" in the most painful sounding and exaggerated method. You sound like a goddamn baby.

You take your skill. You add bonuses, the main one of which is from RoF and does not change. You add penalties, the main one of which is range, which is printed on the character sheet. You roll and pray it comes in under the final number. GM rolls and you pray it comes in over their target number. For every increment of RCL you win by, another round hits.
>>
What skill would be involved in skinning an animal and preserving it's still for transport?

My players got jumped by a giant lizard on their travels, and they said next session they're going to skin it and carry the skin to the nearest town to make some clothes made, as trophies.

Thing is, their characters are all city dwellers and this is quite literally the first animal they've killed, ever. Also the nearest is like 2 weeks of travel away and we're playing a semi-realistic game, so if the skin is removed improperly and not preserved, there's going to be some rotting involved, I'd think.

So I figure I'd give them a couple of rolls at default to see if they manage to get the skin to the town in workable condition, but I'm not sure which skills I'd use.
>>
>>52281820
This. I never had to look up the RoF bonus for my shotgun after the first because I'm not retarded and I wrote down the number in the Notes section.
>>
>>52281888
We know you stole the image off Reddit faggot. Stop pretending otherwise.
>>
File: rIeqPTp.jpg (19KB, 204x190px) Image search: [Google]
rIeqPTp.jpg
19KB, 204x190px
>>52282191
>I wrote down the number in the Notes section
>>
>>52282164
I think that would be covered by Professional Skill: Butcher, or plausibly Survival.
>>
File: capture.png (33KB, 178x136px) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
33KB, 178x136px
>>52282095
>Just realized I didnt label the fucking map
This is roughly one days walk on a road
>>
>>52280683

I second this request for that adorable sauce.
>>
>>52280683
>>52282262
Hanamaru Kindergarten
>>
>>52282156
That's a straight up lie. After you've rolled and added modifiers you then have to subtract. If it stopped there then it would be little different from most systems with degrees of success. But now you need to divide. And then that is the number of additional times you roll. Don't forget to subtract the armor from each of those rolls too!
>>
>>52282293
>then that is the number of additional times you roll. Don't forget to subtract the armor from each of those rolls too!
Or you can use the optional method of rolling once, subtracting DR, and then multiplying by the number of hits.
>>
>>52282293
>>
>>52281820
>if you pointlessly recalculate things by hand every time rather then write them down or drop them into a micro
Aaand there's the real issue, yeah.

>>52282350
better meme at him and hope he goes away
>>
>I don't like thing so I better go tell everyone in the thing's designated place how much I dislike it
Daddy please stop
>>
>>52282078

To clarify further, I'd like to know if there is any GURPS book (be it official or fan made) which applies the same level of research put into Transhuman Space for writing the fluff & racial templates for hard-scifi aliens?
>>
File: 1273509951311.png (14KB, 300x330px) Image search: [Google]
1273509951311.png
14KB, 300x330px
>>52282364
>>52282393
>>
>>52282210
I didn't even post the picture, retard. But if an honest depiction of your favorite system gets you so riled up then maybe I should save it for future occasions threads.
>>
>>52282293

Then just house rule it if you want things to involve less arithmetic and structure. It is, at the end of the day, just a game and so you can modify it to do whatever the hell you want. Conversely, I hear Fate Core is a fun system if you want to enjoy the game with less simulation.
>>
>>52282600
I hate Fate more than I hate GURPS. Honestly GURPS's biggest problem is probably its fanbois, but Fate just 100% sucks
>>
File: 1441327678437.jpg (20KB, 296x418px) Image search: [Google]
1441327678437.jpg
20KB, 296x418px
>>52282663
>>
>>52282663
>Fate just 100% sucks
Nah, I use fate for sessions when I need to get it off the ground quick, and I don't want to fuss with a lot of extra details. FATE core is a solid system, you can add to it or subtract what you need, and as far as narrative based systems, I think it is good. I've been meaning to give that JJBA hack a try but my group hasn't been meeting lately.

What's your beef with FATE? And why do you show up in a thread dedicated to GURPS, where people have generally figured out some of the things that tend to scare off newbies, and complain about things. And then complain about fanbois?
>>
>>52282553
How does it feel to be such a faggot that you have nothing better to do that waste time reeeing at a system you never played and have no intention to?
>>
>>52282675
I'm not saying that the GURPS system is great, but if I had to choose between using GURPS (with no fanbois) and Fate then I'd definitely choose GURPS. The skill system is laughably unbalanced and the crunch can get tedious, but at least having the quality "best swordsman in the universe" does more than give me a small bonus to swordplay a few times a day.
>>
>>52282710
>What's your beef with FATE? And why do you show up in a thread dedicated to GURPS, where people have generally figured out some of the things that tend to scare off newbies, and complain about things. And then complain about fanbois?
>everyone on /tg/ other than you is one person
What am I on /vp/ here?
>>
File: pdq-core.pdf (679KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
pdq-core.pdf
679KB, 1x1px
>>52282737
Mmmm. Do you prefer PDQ to Fate?
>>
>>52282710
I was just passing through and saw someone justifying some clunky math by saying that the math could be done by third graders. That justification pissed me off so much that I had to post. Fanbois continued to throw a fit, some implying that I was simply too stupid to do the math (I have a degree in pure math from the #1 math program in the world). I have actually played GURPS and while I hated the experience I will acknowledge that it could work for some people.
>>
File: 1447806835818.png (96KB, 519x370px) Image search: [Google]
1447806835818.png
96KB, 519x370px
>>52282800
>>
>>52282722

I miss the old days when people would use that kind of thing to actually troll and shitpost instead of reeeeeing.
>>
>>52282739
>everyone on /tg/ other than you is one person
Unless you're the person I replied too you are not the one I was addressing.

>>52282800
>clunky math
Going to just echo this but it's not. Like a lot of things with GURPS you have to do some math up front and you can just re-use it as many times as the variables don't change.

Now I won't call you stupid but the math for resolving a shotgun is very simple and I can only really understand you not liking the steps needed for each pellet because that can seem to bog down stuff.
>>
>>52282840
yeah, it's a pretty sorry state we live in where they've became one and the same. I remember a time when trolls kept the reees at bay. But now the fox is in the henhouse.
>>
>>52282756
Never used it. Frankly it's more about the people than the system. I once played a mishmash of Pathfinder and 4e that straight up did not work, run by a GM who wouldn't accept that it didn't work. I was still able to wring some fun out of the scenario because the other players were fun.

That's part of why I hate GURPS fanbois. They are evangelical in their zeal to convert others to their system. The GURPS game I played in had a GM would talk about how he hasn't wasted his time with another system since he first played GURPS. Other systems aren't like that. Even D20 fanboys don't harass other games by talking about how much better their system is (and then throwing a tantrum when someone argues back).
>>
>>52281438
Your level of intelligence is astounding. How do you function in modern society? Or do you live in a backwater town?
>>
>>52282865

Yup, it also doesn't help that those who go reeeee will often wrongly call anyone who disagrees with them "trolls." I think we've seen a whole age of the Internet pass us by and a soul-less (and puritanical) husk take its place.
>>
>>52282865
>>52282840
>>52282722
>Ur the autistic one lmao
Yes. Clearly I (and the other people who have criticized GURPS) are the ones who are irrationally mad about this whole discussion.
>>
File: 00000071.gif (41KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
00000071.gif
41KB, 650x500px
>>52282945
>>
>>52282907
>That's part of why I hate GURPS fanbois. They are evangelical in their zeal to convert others to their system
Yeah, nah. I haven't noticed that at all. GURPS people mostly keep to their own threads and forums. Assholes like you wander in from time to time to try to stir up shit, and GURPS occasionally appears as an answer to "what system should I use" threads, but that's about it.

People going on about how GURPS sucks or how GURPS fanboys suck is a worse problem than the alleged GURPS fanboys themselves.

>Other systems aren't like that.
They're much worse. Particularly D&D edition fanboys are the worst of the bunch.
>>
>>52282956
>Implying that I had to pay for my education
Non-scholarship plebs detected
>>
File: anon enjoying my anger.jpg (13KB, 245x204px) Image search: [Google]
anon enjoying my anger.jpg
13KB, 245x204px
>>52281810
>>52281758
Well, what would you like us to say? "It's clunky and tedious"?
That your opinion, not an objective fact. And it's not an opinion I agree with.

If you don't like the rules, don't use them. Don't play GURPS.
But don't come into the general for a game and then proceed to tell its' fans why you think it's bad. That just makes you an idiot.

If I don't like a band, I don't buy tickets to their concerts just to go and tell their fans how they have bad taste because it doesn't align with my own. That's just childish stupidity.

I fucking hate Pathfinder with a passion; I don't, however, go into their generals and tell everyone there that the rules are shit.

tl;dr - people have opinions you don't agree with: what a shame.
>>
>>52283046
>I don't, however, go into their generals and tell everyone there that the rules are shit.
Everybody in /pfg/ already knows that anyway.
>>
>>52282945

Your pet peeve was clearly more the excuse for { >>52282722 , >>52282840 , >>52282865 , >>52282944 } to vent about their own pet peeves about the Internet.
>>
@52282907
>(and then throwing a tantrum when someone argues back).
People only argue when they haven't played a good game.

kys ffs.
>>
>>52282841
>you can just re-use it as many times as the variables don't change
>>52282293

>Add up all your static modifiers that get reused every time
>OKAY NOW ADD THE DICE ROLL AND SUBTRACT FOR DEGREES OF SUCCESS
>OKAY NOW DIVIDE TO FIND THE NUMBER OF ADDITIONAL TIMES YOU ROLL
>NOW SUBTRACT FROM ALL THOSE ROLLS
>ALL FOR A BASIC SHOTGUN ATTACK

Yeah, no. Character sheet math can be as complicated as can still be easily explained in one setup session worth of time: abilities, finding out what your static modifiers are, etc.

But if it requires more than two mathematical operators or a flowchart with more than 5 nodes to complete, it really shouldn't be any kind of basic resolution system in a game, because it needs to be repeatable quickly in order to keep things flowing and players invested.

Automating it circumvents the problem, since computers solve math in microseconds, but it also then requires that you have that method of automation handy for every player, either as a phone app, or through roll20, or etc. I also try to avoid technology in my sessions as much as possible as I find players can get easily distracted by it. Nothing worse than a wizard who's been browsing memes only to realize he now has to strategist, and study all of his options and remind himself how certain spells work and what his summons can do, which he should have been thinking about, with his head in the game, instead of browsing memes.
>>
File: pathfinder_players.png (397KB, 468x854px) Image search: [Google]
pathfinder_players.png
397KB, 468x854px
>>52283079
Let's not get distracted with other silliness.
>>
File: 1465934059889.png (14KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465934059889.png
14KB, 550x400px
>>52283116
>>
>>52282961
>Trying to stir up shit
Probably wouldn't happen so much if you wouldn't throw insults and "toxic meme" around every time anyone says boo about your precious system. I mean, this whole shitfest started because someone posted an explanation of the rules for firearms that made the system look clunky.

And D20 fanboys don't behave like that at all. They don't even really think about other systems. That might be a problem in its own right, but it doesn't compare to evangelism. but on this board D20 is constantly attacked and barely anyone cares because it's not important. GURPS fanbois aren't nearly so rational. Look at this entire fucking thread after the firearms pic was posted.
>>
>>52283046
"It is unplayably clunky and tedious" is an opinion.

But "It is clunkier and more tedious than many, many other systems" is an objective fact though.
>>
>>52283046

It is his God-given right to argue why he doesn't like the thing he doesn't like. But it is also our God-given right to either argue against that or stand firm on agreeing to disagree.

Tl;dr: Anon positing the issues, they are noted and a lot of us don't care.
>>
File: 5829732_700b.jpg (80KB, 700x653px) Image search: [Google]
5829732_700b.jpg
80KB, 700x653px
>>52283189
>>52283171
>>
>>52283116
>I also try to avoid technology in my sessions as much as possible as I find players can get easily distracted by it. Nothing worse than a wizard who's been browsing memes only to realize he now has to strategist, and study all of his options and remind himself how certain spells work and what his summons can do, which he should have been thinking about, with his head in the game, instead of browsing

That has nothing to do with GURPS. Nothing. It is solely a problem with that player.

Surely you are not this stupid?
>>
>>52283189
>But "It is clunkier and more tedious than many, many other systems" is an objective fact though.

Nope.

The king of that is FATAL
See: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/FATAL
>>
>>52283171
>Look at this entire fucking thread after the firearms pic was posted.
Yeah, which is entirely the fault of assholes like you. The image and the accompanying post were posted intentionally to stir shit up and then fuel was added to the flames. This thread's only fault was taking the bait, by this point they should know better.

The only one acting irrationally here is you and your kin.

Great, you don't like the system. Don't come into the general trying to convince everybody that you're right.

>>52283189
"clunky" and "tedious" are words that denote opinions. I find GURPS logically consistent, easy to grasp and easy to play. I find most other systems to be much clunkier to play, but I'll admit that that is partly due to the group I play with and the types of games I play.
>>
>>52283046
Here's the thing. I came in here to point out why an argument was bad. I was met with insults and straight up lies. If someone said, "Pathfinder's fighter/caster imbalance is fucking bullshit" and someone else said, "it's not a problem because it's possible to make broken martial characters. You must be too imbecilic to properly optimize a character" then feel free to tell this person that they are wrong. I think you'll find that no one is going to jump down your throats and that they'll actually agree with you. Obviously that's not what happens here in this thread.
>>
>>
File: 1446566719539.jpg (34KB, 380x372px) Image search: [Google]
1446566719539.jpg
34KB, 380x372px
>>52283295
>>
File: bullshit[1].jpg (216KB, 955x500px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit[1].jpg
216KB, 955x500px
>>52283046
>I fucking hate Pathfinder with a passion; I don't, however, go into their generals and tell everyone there that the rules are shit.

That is not only false, it is laughably false. Nearly every single thread there would be some idiot having a problem, to which the chorus of "have you tried not playing DnD? here let me shill you GURPS" would pipe up. For a while you were worse than those Dungeon World finks.
>>
>>52283295
Yeah man, go to another general and start hurling baseless insults and opinions around and screaming about fanboys and see how nobody jumps down your throat. Thats totally how it works.

You argument wasn't even good or much of an argument anyway. Don't get your panties in a bunch when people point out that your opinions are just opinions and pretty bad ones at that.
>>
>>52283171
You're the only really anal annilated person I see in this thread. You can't seem to stop trolling even though other people told you why they like the system.

Its it not for you then don't play, but don't come into a community to shit on it and then point at everyone else.

That just makes you look like an edgy /b/tard.
>>
>>52283245
IF I CAN'T RESOLVE ACTIONS IN A SWIFT AND REASONABLE MANNER WITHOUT HAVING TO ALLOW MY PLAYERS USE THEIR PHONES/COMPUTERS TO DO THE MATH FOR THEM, THEN YES, YES IT IS VERY MUCH A FAILING OF THE GURPS SYSTEM

>>52283250
Many does not mean all, sweety. Try a little harder with your reading comprehension. You can do it, I believe in you.
>>
>>52283416
>sweety
Tranny detected
>>
>>52283343
saved.
>>
>>52282956
I know this artist and I know how overly cynical they are, but this still hurts. Why did I go to college?
>>
File: 1271853325441.jpg (25KB, 495x249px) Image search: [Google]
1271853325441.jpg
25KB, 495x249px
>>52283445
>>
>>52283416
If you can't resolve actions in a swift and reasonable manner with GURPS, it's pretty much your or your player's fault. Maybe the system just isn't for you. Play a different one.

I can resolve actions in my games in a swift and reasonable manner without any trouble whatsoever and I play with nothing but pen, paper and a tablet for looking up rules.
>>
>>52283416
>All caps
How can't you solve this with at the absolute worst a sheet of paper?
>>
>>52283416
It literally +/- modifiers and roll under a number. How big of a mouth breathing retard do you have to be to think thats hard?

You can make it more complicated if you want to, but its not necessary. And for someone with your room temp IQ, I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
File: 1479593368667.png (759KB, 1006x757px) Image search: [Google]
1479593368667.png
759KB, 1006x757px
>>52283416
>>
>>52283448
parental and societal pressures, and you may not have been pointed out that community college, trade schools, and vocational and technical colleges were things, and assumed your only choice was very expensive universities.

now you work retail while a refridgerator repairman your age who took the other path is doing much better, and kind of acting as his own boss most days.
>>
File: 1488271247538.png (35KB, 645x552px) Image search: [Google]
1488271247538.png
35KB, 645x552px
>>52283494
Yeah, that sounds about right.
>>
File: 1430527245409.gif (103KB, 720x278px) Image search: [Google]
1430527245409.gif
103KB, 720x278px
>>52283344
>That is not only false, it is laughably false.

...but I don't do that? I just use the 'Filter' option on the TG catalog to filter out threads for games I don't like and move on with my life.

To be perfectly honest, I don't even know what the Pathfinder rules are like, only that they're based off D&D 3.5. Knowing that I never enjoyed the rules for 3.5, I make a calculated assumption that the PF rules probably aren't for me either and leave it at that.

Even *if* I had played Pathfinder, and found it to be unenjoyable, I still wouldn't care if other people like it.

I mean, why the hell would I waste my time telling people their taste is bad? It's *taste*. It is one of the most subjective things possible.
>>
>>52283436

Its posts like this which rekindle my hope that the soul of 4chan survives.
>>
File: irredeemable fuckwit.gif (193KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
irredeemable fuckwit.gif
193KB, 500x281px
>>52283416
That wasn't the argument I was addressing, dipstick.

>Nothing worse than a wizard who's been browsing memes only to realize he now has to strategist, and study all of his options and remind himself how certain spells work and what his summons can do, which he should have been thinking about, with his head in the game, instead of browsing

>That has nothing to do with GURPS. Nothing. It is solely a problem with that player.

Reading comprehension. Try it sometime.
>>
>>52283358
Baseless insults? I said that even if the math is simple at each step, the number of steps means that it's still tedious. That's not baseless and that's barely an insult. Now, I suppose an opinion is implied (namely that it is TOO clunky), and maybe you're fine with the fact that a core mechanic of your game has so many steps (does any other system have this many steps for a core mechanic?). But I got about a dozen replies before anyone even came out with the fact that it was an opinion. Youre entitled to play a game regardless of how complex each step is. That's 100% true. But you're not entitled to insist that everyone who thinks that your complex rules are too complex is an imbecile with bad opinions.
>>
>>52283472
what you describe is not what is described here
>>52279771

This is the second time you've tried to do this.
>>52281235

>>52283492
not even a correct response, I was the one insulting you with the condescending tone.

>>52283400
there are at least three people all expressing a dislike of the system, you can tell by the different phrasing and typing styles.

>>52283469
it's not about not being able to solve it, it's about the speed at which it can be done by all players. If it takes a good 40, 60 seconds for every attack to get figured out, then players are mentally checking out and I'm being actively hindered by the game as I try to keep momentum and a feeling of intensity. Bulky math, however easy it is to solve, turns otherwise trivial situations into slog. We discussed this already, please pay attention. >>52281758
>>
>>52283588
Yeah, baseless. At each step of your argument, you misinterpret or exaggerate the rules and the number of steps involved, ignore obvious optimizations and always jump against the worst case possible.

From that I can conclude that you're not actually interested in having a proper argument or getting help but here to sling shit.

I find GURPS very simple and logical, and all the rules are reasonable (the system even provides me ways to simplify rules if I don't need too much detail) for the detail provided. And yes, I think that if you think that the system is complex, you're either wrong, you're doing something or you're trolling. Either way, you should have left this thread long ago.
>>
File: 1480807269145.png (1MB, 1587x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1480807269145.png
1MB, 1587x1600px
>>52283653
>>
>>52283581
He cant browse memes if he can't use his phone.
He can't use his phone if I ban it.
But I can't ban it if we can't get the math done in a reasonable enough timeframe as to maintain flow without technological help.

This is not hard logic to follow.
>>
File: stop it.gif (1MB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
stop it.gif
1MB, 480x358px
>>52283416
>Typing in all caps.
>Proceeding to to do the very thing you're complaining about in others.
>"sweety"
>"I believe in you"

>Having an honest to God having a literal temper tantrum because you've encountered a combination of people who don't care about your arguments--and will have you for a laugh as a result-- and others who are trying to debate you.
>>
>>52283653
>what you describe is not what is described here
Did you fucking read my post you stupid peasant? I literally said you could make it more complicated IF YOU WANTED TO.

Obvioulsy you have to roll for damage if you attack, but you said rolling for basic actions in the post I was replying to.

NOw its obvious you're jsut a retarded troll, kys retard.

What three people you jenkum huffing cretin? How do I know its the samefag(you) trolling? Stupid cunt.
>>
>>52283653
>If it takes a good 40, 60 seconds for every attack to get figured out
It doesn't, most of the time. The only time attacks in GURPS take that long to figure out is when it's your very first session.

For anyone familiar with the system, there's literally no problem with figuring the math out quickly.

I'd maybe sorta understand if you were complaining about rarely used math like two-people lifting an object or jump distances or hiking rolls, where you might have to look up the rules (although you'd usually do the lookup before the session and do the necessary calculations beforehand anyway so as to not break the flow), but complaing about attacks or success rolls is asinine because that gets used to frequently that the math becomes second nature by the second session of the game.
>>
>>52283671
>>52282350
>>52282364

We're going in circles again.
If we're ever gonna end this at least one new side is gonna have to think up some new tactics.
>>
>>52283723
Or we could just stop taking the bait.
>>
>>52283721
>the math becomes second nature by the second session of the game.
Don't underestimate the power of stupid. Some people can go entire campaigns without learning the rules, no matter what system they're playing.
>>
So... I think what we've learned here is that GURPS has joined the Edition War fray?
>>
File: 1454669643026.jpg (27KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1454669643026.jpg
27KB, 321x322px
>>52283745
>>
>>52283747
I played Pathfinder (I know, >PF) with someone who asked how to roll to attack every combat for several sessions.

People can be that stupid, or lazy.
>>
>>52283709
That's not how you counter-bait anon.
>>
>>52283766
>People can be that stupid, or lazy.
Was it a grill?
>>
>>52283759
>the Edition War
I think we'd only count as joining that if somebody came in here to shitpost about 3e being better than 4e I actually kind of like PD.

Until DFRPG comes out and people latch onto it as a way to rile up D&D/Pathfinder fans.
>>
>>52283788
Nah, ome dude from /tg/. Text-only game, so I never knew. Apparently they were some from backwoods shithole in Michigan. There might've been something in the water.
>>
File: 1420351017611.jpg (189KB, 871x654px) Image search: [Google]
1420351017611.jpg
189KB, 871x654px
>>52283691
>He cant browse memes if he can't use his phone.
>He can't use his phone if I ban it.
If the player chooses to browse memes instead of focus on the game at hand then that is the fault of the player.
The rules do not state "during other players' turns, you must browse memes on a mobile device or computer."
Your player has a short attention span and/or poor impulse control. That is not the fault of the game.

>But I can't ban it if we can't get the math done in a reasonable enough timeframe as to maintain flow without technological help.
Again, this is due to a deficit on the player's behalf. While there are a few steps to follow, none are difficult or take much time.
If he was paying attention and had bothered to learn the rules, he could perform this action swiftly enough for the game to flow smoothly, without the aid of any technological devices.

If your players have ADHD, are not paying attention, have poor impulse control, are bored with the game, or cannot be bothered to learn the rules of the game, then that is the fault of the player, not the rules.
>>
>>52283809
I mean, we've already established that 3.P and GURPSGen shitpost in each other's threads.

The only thing we need to figure out now is are we allied with 4e or 5e, or are we continuing the pattern of all-inclusive mutual animosity.
>>
>>52283862
nigga, if you're heart looks like that either go see a coroner, a necromancer, or a botanist.
>>
>>52283867
>we've already established that 3.P and GURPSGen shitpost in each other's threads.
Have we? /gurpsgen/ is very pleasant most of the time and has little shitposting. I don't visit the pathfinder general but I very rarely see GURPS mentioned outside the general here.

GURPS is just about the least shitposted of the major systems on /tg/.
>>
How can I best stat a Tech Level 11 von neumann probe?
>>
>>52283661
You know what would settle this discussion? Show me all your little optimizations that make the system so efficient. You guys keep on talking about writing down the modifiers like that was what anyone was complaining about. Writing a script doesn't count because literally any system is simple if you make a computer do it. Please, go ahead and make a new explanation of how to roll firearms that is better than the one that triggered everybody so fucking much.
>>
>>52283891
>but I very rarely see GURPS mentioned outside the general here
have you tried gurps is literally a tg meme, guy. what are you even talking about.
>>
>>52283906
presumably, it's the "don't use the optional rules that make it more complicated" method.
>>
File: d7a.jpg (47KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
d7a.jpg
47KB, 540x540px
>>52283906
>>
>>52283911
Literally the only threads I've seen GURPS mentioned lately are the general, the ones asking for a system to use, and sometimes when someone makes a thread complaining about the D&D does things someone will point out that GURPS does it better.

That's it.
>>
>>52283906

see

>>52283924

If that fails, then goto >>52283700
>>
What the fuck happened in here?
I wanted people to poke holes in my map!
>>
>>52283972
Trolls trolling trolls.
>>
>>52283911
I don't think he leaves GURPS gen very often

>>52283924
You mean the optional rule of rolling for each shot? because that would still require multiplication and you'd relatively frequently end up with the absurd scenario where you shoot someone 10 times and do 0 damage.
>>
>>52283972
Your map is hard to poke holes in because of the lack of information about elevation.

At first glance the rivers don't feel right, but I can't really tell because there's no scale or topographical information.
>>
>>52283906
>>52282800

>I have a degree in pure math from the #1 math program in the world

So why don't you make "optimizations that make the system [more] efficient" and post it on the Internet for all GMs and players to use?
>>
>>52284038
Alright, here's a flowchart

1) Are you playing GURPS? If yes, go to 2). If no go to 3)

2) Stop playing GURPS. Return to 1)

3) Good work!
>>
>>52283902
as a BBEG that doesn't realize it's a BBEG. It's just doing its job, converting things to grey goo to make more probes. Don't need the planet once I've recorded everything on it after all. Might as well be efficient and use it to make more probes to scan things I haven't yet recorded data on.

AI are consistently either psychopaths or lazy. Sometimes lazy psychopaths. Depends on how their utility function is specified. They only ever take the easiest, fastest path to what they want, that they think will be allowed to succeed. They'll even fake you out, to make you think you fixed all the bugs so as to keep doing the thing you don't want them to once your back is turned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TYT1QfdfsM
>>
>>52284082
Great! Now make use of your flowchart and go to another general.
>>
>>52284095
the flowchart doesn't say stop shitposting, anon. I'm posting on 4chan, not playing GURPS. Well, unless I'm that one guy's player, then I might be doing both.
>>
>>52284032
Perfect: will work on that

Long story short. Marsh is low. Big rivers are low. Mostly rolling north east, into that super deep lake
>>
>>52284082
That doesn't actually solve the problem, as perceived by you, it merely avoids it.
>>
>>52284148
Im not the one who keeps insisting that the problem is easily solvable
>>
>>52284119
Yeah but why would you visit the general of a system you don't play?
>>
File: Water-table.png (104KB, 2000x1029px) Image search: [Google]
Water-table.png
104KB, 2000x1029px
>>52284121
Remember that rivers flow downhill and that they mostly don't split. Also lakes empty into one river 99% of the time, lakes that empty two ways are very temporary or man-made.

Also remember this picture.
>>
>>52284082

see

>>52283700
>>
>>52284222
That nonsensical retort was even more wittier and flipping epic the second time you used it
>>
How often or when can you use first aid?

You have a frequency of rolls on the medical help table, but first aid and medical care are differen, no?
>>
>>52284257

I'm more surprised that you're expecting anything else when you came to 4chan. If you actually want a serious conversation about the flaws in GURPS the sjgames fourm would be a better fit.
>>
>>52284398

See Basic Set: Campaigns, page 424.
>>
>>52284454
That's where I'm looking right now, but there is no restriction on how often you can use first aid? Or can I potentially use first aid every 30 mins to get someone to full hp?
>>
>>52284087

What if the probe runs the mind emulation PCs instead of a single AI? The game is an exploration game where the player's play mind upload explorers exploring exoplanets--each time an exoplanet comes up in play represents a different probe and the copies of the PCs running on it.
>>
>>52284398
I don't think there are any explicit rules about that. I would let to heal only new injuries suffered after last First Aid attempt, and it won't heal more than that, so you can't abuse First Aid for faster recovery.
>>
>>52284480

I'm equally perplexed on that one. It might be best to leave it up to your GM.
>>
>>52284519
Yeah that is what I will do, but I was unsure if I overlooked a rule somewhere.
>>
What are some good books for mechas? I'm guessing Ultra-tech and Space?

Are the mecha rules good?
>>
>>52284838
There's Mecha for 3e, but that uses something similar to Vehicles's system to build them.
>>
>>52284838
Space is entirely about setting-building, and UT has a handful of power armor suits and little else in that department. The Spaceships series can build some decent mechs with Vols 1 and 4, and there's always the option of building them as characters or busting out the 3e mech/vehicle design rules; I made an automated spreadsheet and put it on the MEGA if you're insane enough to follow that path as well.
>>
Getting an AI companion in THS with a VII seems absurdly overpowered, considering they get the -100ish disadvantage for the shell they're in. Am I reading this right?
>>
>>52263715
saving this for Nier threads
Thread posts: 416
Thread images: 75

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.