[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Under Appreciated Sources of Inspiration.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: cosmo.jpg (119KB, 674x374px) Image search: [Google]
cosmo.jpg
119KB, 674x374px
I was searching for weird and/or interesting stuff to base a setting on for a run of the mill fantasy campaign but with a new coat of paint. Can I just say how awesome early Abrahamic lore was even from the perspective of a fedora like myself?

The Cosmology (pic related) has so much you can do with it that would be atypical of standards fantasy. You got terrifying trippy angels, a creepy tangible spiritual Underdark that is also maybe a monster or womb of the world with a will of it's own, the primordial dark sea that existed before the universe that could have horrifying pre-creation shit in it.

What ancient stuff do you guys wish people stole from more?
>>
I wouldn't call the Bible underappreciated when it comes to inspiration.
>>
File: 1486886296583.jpg (2MB, 1400x4914px) Image search: [Google]
1486886296583.jpg
2MB, 1400x4914px
>>52236065
My past contributions to /tg/ in this regard
http://pastebin.com/PKFJzHfA
>>
>>52236571
It is in pop culture, America especially is afraid to mess around with the mythology
>>
>>52237270
>America especially is afraid to mess around with the mythology

The fuck are you on about?

Look at all the dumb angel/ghost/demon/possession shit that billows up out of Hollywood every year.

Did you see "Noah"?
>>
>>52237463
>Noah
That was exactly as written.
>>
>>52237503

Ye best be trollin'.
>>
>>52237614
Golly me? Never.
>>
I've always loved the Bünting Clover Leaf Map, and I think it would fit in great with a mythic Christian campaign.

You have have the Holy City - greatest of the Apostolic Sees - at the centre of the world. Then, around it, one to a continent leaf, you have the lesser Sees of Rome, Alexandria and Antioch in Europa, Africa and Asia respectively. Let's ignore Constantinople for now.

These are the centre of Christ's power on Earth, places of holy light. The further you go from that light, the stronger the Devil becomes. Beyond that light, the Devil can whisper in your ear and grant you witch powers. Beyond that light at terrible monsters and at the furthest ends of the Leaf-Contentents you even have giants - the great sons of Anak, Gog and Mogog, though killed in the flood.
>>
>>52236658
Thank you, huaboo anon
>>
http://www.hermeticfellowship.org/HFHermeticism.html

Hermeticism in general is a great world building/fluff source and because of it's greek/latin roots, you've got a built in "magical" language to use in world.

Considers humanity to be on a spiritual journey to return to a state of unity with the Divine; this is the Great Work of humankind.
>Holds that if we would attain to the Divine, we must aspire to the Divine; spiritual growth cannot be achieved without human effort
>Is eclectic and draws material from sources spanning the entire Western Esoteric Tradition
>Is polytheistic, yet ultimately monotheisitic (i.e., posits a multiplicity of Manifestations of the Divine Which emanate from an ultimate Divine Unity)
>Holds that the Divine is both immanent and transcendent
>Holds that the Universe is Divine and basically good
>Teaches that when we seek the Divine, we may best begin with the Mysteries of Nature
>Encourages spiritual curiosity
>Understands that human beings can access the Subtle Realms through technique and aspiration; to this end, it embraces theurgy, meditation, ritual, and other spiritual and magical practices
>Urges those who seek the Divine to also seek balance in embracing all things
>Is a poetic rather than an ascetic worldview
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.