[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Sunless Sea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: TheMaidensOfSalt.jpg (122KB, 1600x1034px) Image search: [Google]
TheMaidensOfSalt.jpg
122KB, 1600x1034px
I'm considering running a game "based" (brutally ripped and plagarized) on Sunless Sea. Right down to characters having monikers instead of names - because you don't want any-thing getting your name between their teeth.

What system would you use? I thought vaguely about FATE, since that seems narrative and popular lately. It'll have to be something fairly fluid to account for all the curious things that happens in the 'Neath.

For those who don't know, Sunless Sea is based in the world of Fallen London. Where London fell, both metaphysically and literally, and now lays below the earth's crust alongside five other ancient cities. It's just a train ride away from literal Hell, and demons do a brisk trade.

Think of it like a spot before the underworld of Greek myth. You can't die there - not easily. You get to enjoy all the benefits of being immortal without all the mercies of being Mortal. For example, people don't stop aging - they just don't die of it. Eventually it's considered rude not to ship your desiccated, bandage wrapped husk off to a 'Tomb Colony' where you can rot without bothering the neighbors. And murder is a friendly game between strangers, so long as you've someone who can stitch up your agonizing wounds later. Only those who go to Zee truly die - and even then, there's ways back. Although you may come back... wrong. Memories are just as easy to sell as goods, where sunlight is warm, delightful, addicting - and like any narcotic, evenutally deadly. Best to avoid the trade routes back to the surface.

So, Greek Underworld mixed with a bit of Mythos, and a dash of stiff upper lip.

What system?
>>
>>52235083
SUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHESUNTHE
>>
File: sad.jpg (518KB, 1457x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
518KB, 1457x1600px
>tfw you'll never know what it found in the oubliette
>>
File: ANewToy.jpg (51KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
ANewToy.jpg
51KB, 540x720px
>>52235312
To record the Republic's events - it's like trying to sing wax or believe water. You do what you can. The third paragraph buds eyes. The date is fundamentally wrong. The full-stops bite.
Y̡̗̹̮͈͚̝͕̘͝o̷͚̖̩̹ͅu̙̙͙̪͝͠ ̩͍́͠d̯̼̙̕ͅò̡̤̫̜͈͜ ̠̦͙̞͕w̟̺͚͡h̨̨̻͇̮͚̝̜̻̜̦͢a͚͇͕͇̯̺̦͙͖͟t̛͈̤͈̱͓͘͡ ̖͈͉y̬ͅo̲̯̲͢͠u̵̴̗̯̗͕̥ ̠͔̝̠̞͈̕͝c̡̤̗̻̘̯̰̤͘͞a̶͉n̼̫̠͠
>>
>>52235083
FATE would work rather excellently. I don't know how much you know about the lore but there's an oppressive government of stars that essentially runs the 'verse via light that monitors the application of laws, so you have an ample justification for narrative rules being adhered to.

The real key here will be that the characters will be squishy: have a heavy emphasis on the use of mostly normals with one or two tweaks over essentially anything else, and have a lot of events occur that will alter the characters in one way or another.

Also, make sure the game is very british wherever possible.
>>
File: DrowniesAsleep.jpg (211KB, 1600x1026px) Image search: [Google]
DrowniesAsleep.jpg
211KB, 1600x1026px
>>52235518
I know a bit, mostly from playing Fallen London a whole lot and about half-way through my ambition for Sunless Sea. The Judgements, and the false Judgement down south.

Is FATE a solid choice for a play-by-post as well, though? Will it move quick and fluidly enough? I have the core, but never the chance to try it out.
>>
>>52235556
Not him but "play by post" and "quick and fluid" aren't very compatible to start with. Not having any experience with FATE I can't talk about the system in specific with any security, though.
>>
>>52235556
You'd need to set refresh points more manually, but I think it could work well. Just get a band of quick-posting, skiilful RPers and set up a turn order.

Regrettably there aren't any super good resources for Sunless Sea lore. You'd be best off playing through Fallen London the game (which can take years to grind through all content) and diving into http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/ which is not very well organized at all.
>>
>>52235654
>Not very well organized

A bit like Fallen London itself, eh? Making assumptions and then finding out the truth is a whole lot more fucked up than your assumption is a beautiful thing.

Such as when I thought 'Mr. Sacks and Hallowmas' was going to be their version of Santa Claus.
>>
>>52235083

NORTH
>>
>>52236803
That's where the gods go to die, anon.

Also, who here #unlicensedspirifage?
>>
>>52235654
I don't think it'd work well, personally - there's usually a fair bit of back and forth when it comes to discussing compelling aspects, for instance, that would be tricky to do in a timely manner via play by post. It could just be a by-product of the way my groups have played (offline and online), but there's usually a lot of discussion about things during the game.
>>
>>52237824
Most play by post usually have a chatroom that they use to discuss stuff like that.
>>
>>52235083
Some kind of World of Darkness system, perhaps 7th Sea, and maybe a modified version of Dark Sun.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.