[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 366
Thread images: 24

File: Hobgoblin spear holder.png (291KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin spear holder.png
291KB, 1000x1000px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Mystic
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /tg/
>>52214605

Has anyone attempted a Gestalt/high-powered campaign? Tell us your results.
>>
Barbarian: http://www.strawpoll.me/12466636
Bard: http://www.strawpoll.me/12476406
Cleric: http://www.strawpoll.me/12483412
Druid: http://www.strawpoll.me/12492204
Fighter: http://www.strawpoll.me/12498055
Monk: http://www.strawpoll.me/12511533
Mystic: http://www.strawpoll.me/12527550
Paladin: http://www.strawpoll.me/12519777
Ranger: http://www.strawpoll.me/12523063
Rogue: http://www.strawpoll.me/12532696
Sorcerer: http://www.strawpoll.me/12536012
Warlock: http://www.strawpoll.me/12540480
Wizard: http://www.strawpoll.me/12544152

This is the last opportunity to vote on these before I make a poll for the favourite archetypes.

Candidate for the favourite archetypes poll must fulfil at least one of the following criteria:
>They must have the most votes in their class poll, or be tied for the most votes.
>They must have at least 20% of votes in the poll.

This way, each class has at least one archetype to represent it and the runners-up also get a shot at being included.
>>
Stop saying the Sharpshooter Fighter's worse then Hand Crossbow.

9d6 Hand Crossbow Attacks + 6d12 Battlemaster Dice + 90 Sharpshooter (Feat) damage + 45 Dexterity Damage. That comes to an Average Nova of 31.5 + 39 + 90 + 45 using everything you've got and one Action Surge, 205.5 Damage

8d10 Heavy Crossbow Attacks + 96 Steady Aim + 80 Sharpshooter (Feat) + 45 Dexterity Damage. That's a Nova of 44+96+80+45 using 1 of 3 Steady Aims and 1 Action Surge for, 265 Damage. If it's the first turn with you 18th level ability it's 297.5.

The Sharpshooter can do this twice and then one for half damage. Battlemaster needs a rest or gets one die back each fight.

I'll save the math but without using resources Hand Crossbow does 92.5 while chewing bonus action and Sharpshooter does 87 without using it. If you get a rapid attack it does 107.5.

At low levels Hand Crossbow's amazing but the Sharpshooter's abilities are amazing the higher level you are.

inb4, no one plays high level.
>>
File: 1275957362010.jpg (46KB, 590x330px) Image search: [Google]
1275957362010.jpg
46KB, 590x330px
>>52218946
>Has anyone attempted a Gestalt/high-powered campaign?
I rand a gestalt game. Don't do it. It was fun, but it was a special one shot that featured boons, and stuff. You reach the level of gods real quick, which is fun for a game, but is too over the top for a weekly game.
>>
Shameless beggar DM here, anyone have any of the One Page Dungeon Compendium PDFs?
In return, here's something I saved a few threads back.
>>
So running my first homebrewed campaign and trying to keep things simple for the most part. My party of 3 players is just gonna clear out a Goblin cave that was plundering the road way. Twist is I want the Goblins to of plundered a magic item that the last Goblin ends up using to shrink the party down to fine size (I know fine doesn't exist in 5E) But now I am caught up on what that means for the stats. This is your regular Goblin so I am unsure how to buff him for his size advantage. Do I just increase STR and HP? Also unaware what to do with the part, should I just decrease their movement and STR?

I just want to make this a challenging last fight for lvl 1-2, 3 person party.
>>
>>52218990
Isn't the sharpshooter getting just 40 damage from dex?

Also, it's worth noting that the sharpshooter is going to be considerably more accurate due to the archery fighting style and ignoring a large amount of cover, has greater range, and only needs one weapon while the battlemaster needs two.
>>
>>52218946
So how important is strength stats for a mystic order of the immortal?
>>
>>52219094
Why would a Crossbow Expert Battlemaster not have the archery fighting style? And also would pick up Sharpshooter, ignoring 3/4 cover? And only use one Hand Crossbow, because that's how it works?
>>
>>52219094
Good catch. Also if we bring accuracy in it's a shit show but I guess you're more likely to get a powerful Longbow or Heavy Crossbow then two powerful Hand Crossbows.

I mean it's a game and both are viable but I feel Sharpshooter gets more piss then it deserves.

Battlemaster is more swingy with damage as well. So it could go much higher or lower.
>>
>>52219001
>that image

Not a terrible movie.
>>
>>52219116
As important as you make it. No achetype forces you to play in any particular way.

You can get the Disciplines that give you Animated Weapon, and Lethal Strike, and only attack using Int.
>>
>>52219130
>two hand crossbows

Stop trying to do math when you don't understand the build to begin with.
>>
>>52218946
why do u keep making ops so early
>>
>>52219155
Fine one Hand crossbow, sorry I've never played a one handed Crossbower. Can you find any real faults or am I right?
>>
>>52219178
Well, since accuracy was brought up, a battlemaster has access to Piercing Attack, meaning that a miss isn't a miss as long as they have dice.
>>
>>52219224
Do you mean Precision Attack? I'll assume so. That just gives you an Accuracy boost which could be 1-12 and trades your damage.

Both a perfectly good builds and reasonable. Battlemaster has better accuracy and can use all those trick shots to disarm people and shit plus actually be useful in melee with their Dice.

Sharpshooter, as it's name suggest is the best at picking up a ranged weapon and hurting people. It does it better, but that's all it does.

If you want to be doing cool trick shots with a Hand Crossbow then go Battlemaster. If you want to hold a big weapon and sniper people go Sharpshooter.
>>
>>52219149
Cool I'm just asking because my dm is letting play one since my old characters in 4th was a battlemind.
>>
>>52219266
>plus actually be useful in melee with their Dice.
Just to note, they are 100% as effective from 5-120 feet once the build is online.
>>
>>52219116
I would say it's the least synergistic stat, but would still be functional assuming you built your disciplines for it.
>>
>>52219337
Yeah true. Sometimes an awesome magic melee weapon comes up, you need someone to guard the wizard or it's a classic prison escape. Both can shoot perfectly fine in Melee though but the sharpshooter loses all it's power if forced into those situations.
>>
>>52219149
So spear and handaxe are good for my starting weapons?
>>
If you were to give a moon druid one extra use of Wild Shape that could only be used to become a monstrosity, what monstrosities would you allow them to become?
>>
>>52219384
I'd focus Dex over Str for the AC, have a Dagger as the only finesse weapon you can get, then have a d6 one handed weapon using Str to use with Animate Weapon, since it uses Int at that point.

Str isn't given a good niche. Bestial Claws uses it, but it's the weakest of the bonus damage melee attacks since it's just a bunch of d10s instead of d10s+weapon damage.
>>
>>52219408
Would really depend heavily on the campaign.
That's a pretty powerful buff though, famalam.

If I were you I'd make a list of monstrosities but cause it to take up 2 uses of wildshape like turning into an elemental does.
Or perhaps just 1 use if the monstrosity isn't super powerful.
>>
>>52219408
Boons and Magic items have no balance.
What level is it? How powerful is the character? How powerful is everyone else? Is there something important to know about monstrosities in this setting?
>>
>>52219408
I'd say either it's CR needs to be 1 less than the druid's normal limit, or it needs to be 2 uses of wild shape.
>>
>>52219408
Either have it follow the standard CR restrictions, in which case you limit it to things they've seen, or you give them a set list, regardless of CR, and you unlock more as the DM when they get stronger.

If you want help with a specific list, we'll need information about how the campaign is, the parties level, and what level of magic items the party has.
>>
should i play a mystic as my next character?
>>
>>52219580
If you really want to?

I was thinking about it, but then the more I looked at it the less interested I got.
>>
>>52219384
Everyone says Animate Weapon but there's some cool stuff that you can do with the Psionic Weapon ability that makes them save against it. It'll save you a discipline, impossible to have Disadvantage and let you use any weapon. Once you have plenty of Disciplines get animate weapon though.
>>
I keep wanting to play as a standard human no matter what character I make. Am I a retard?
>>
File: 1488508218303.png (943KB, 1000x780px) Image search: [Google]
1488508218303.png
943KB, 1000x780px
>>52219580
If you have to ask that no, because you're just grasping at new stuff. Play some vanilla combo you haven't yet.
>>
>>52219580
Depends. Honestly choose a theme and stick to it. If you're a Soul Knife take mostly weapon and defence options, if you're an Avatar take mostly emotion messing stuff and so on. Otherwise you'll be a bland character with no theme to your powers and does everything kinda well.
>>
>>52219600
Not at all. But unless your DM doesn't allow variant, there's no reason not to do that.
>>
>>52219600
Nah, it's the fact that it allows you more interesting roleplay then "I'm a dwarf, from dwarf-land".

Also mechanically a beast.
>>
>>52219517
It's going to be a magical item, probably a Monstrous Shape that only lasts 1 minute. Yeah, I already figured the best idea would be to make a list and avoid anything too exploitable, that's kinda what I'm asking. So far I've got: Hypogriff, Ankheg, Owlbear, Girallon, Bullete. Any others I could add?
>>
>>52219637
what's that one giant bird thing with antlers called? Maybe that one.
>>
>>52219624
But anon, +1 to all the stats that don't matter!
>>
>>52219709
>>52219548
>>52219556
>>52219574
Party will probably find the item shortly after level 11. Campaign is Tyranny of Dragons, party has a legendary sword (from the module) and some other items I've made. I'm trying to make a list as said here: >>52219637. Unlocking the higher CRs as they level, and I'm still considering if it should be one lower than the normal Wild Shape or no.
>>
>>52219633
>Not playing with a DM who lets you world-build what dwarf-land culture is like and what it means to be a dwarf from dwarf-land.
>>
Mind Slam, the Talent isn't that bad. If you're focusing on debuffing it's a cantrip that can knock prone.
>>
>>52219717
It does matter, if you're using point buy, because thats 1 point lower you can drop the stats you don't use in order to raise the ones you DO use.

As if anyone uses standard human instead of Variant Human that gets a free feat anyway.
>>
>>52219709
Forgot to actually type this. You mean the Peryton? I considered it until I realized it had resistance to physical attacks.
>>
File: 1477273495908.jpg (65KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1477273495908.jpg
65KB, 736x1040px
When doing your own settings how often do you have other humans/humanoids as encounters rather than just monsters? Just a thought that occured to me as I was thinking of making humans the primary enemies the PCs will fight up to and including NPCs with class levels as well as monsters and what not.
>>
>>52219745
>>52219717
I like regular human in a few spots. You can get decent stat spreads for classes that enjoy being spread thing.

With the standard pointbuy you can get

>>
>>52219746
True which makes its HP effectively doubled if you only throw physical attackers at it.
>>
Any advice for a first time gm? Will be running lost mines of phandelver with 2 friends that are also new to this
>>
>>52219789
Read the PHB back to front. You need to know the rules or know how to at least make judgment calls better than the players.

Read the adventure front to back. It's not long. Take notes of important things you might forget.

Have fun and try to react reasonably to what your players do.
>>
>>52219789
Don't sweat it, just prioritize fun above all else.
Tell them that if you're unsure of a rule you'll just make a call for what you think is fair and then you guys can check the rule later when the session is over.
The fastest way to ruin fun momentum is to spend time checking a rule. Just try to rule in the player's favor if something is uncertain. You'd rather they have fun right? Their fun is your fun. If players aren't having a good time you won't either.
>>
>>52219767
Depends on the area and setting, normally I'll throw in a couple bandits at low levels. However if like currently the country is fracturing a bit due to an assassination of the emperor then I'll have deserters and such at higher levels using knights, gladiators and veterans.
>>
>>52219784
I think if it had a skill on it people would choose it more. Stone Sorcerers, Paladins and Monks can use it.
>>
>>52219767
I employ both. In my setting humanoids make up the majority of the population, however. So encounters reflect this.

It's easier to coax players into roleplaying with another humanoid than it is to get them to try and roleplay with a monstrosity. Not that they don't try from time to time.
>>
>>52219725
Alrighty, so if your looking to maintain the standard 1/3 level restriction, i would start by giving them near-animal monstrosities.

For now, Winter Wolf, Phase Spider, Ankheg, Griffon, Ice Toad, Hippogryff, Worg, Cockatrice, thats CR3 through 1/2 in descending order.

If they player keeps utilizing it, add one less animalish form per CR, at 12 add Girallon.
>>
File: 1484633139306.jpg (147KB, 652x1244px) Image search: [Google]
1484633139306.jpg
147KB, 652x1244px
>>52219835

Makes sense. The Era for my setting is a bit more modern so you have big sprawlling cities that are surrounded by walls to keep out monsters and then more rustic towns/villages generally around them. Monsters are a thing to deal with but chiefly the thing trying to kill you will be other people but then I'm trying to have a variety of different things to fight because they'll essentially be traveling couriers/handymen/swords for hire
>>
>>52219725
Okay, Moon Druid CR is lvl/3, wounded down. So your druid will be able to hit CR 4 shapes at lvl 12. Look through the cr 3 and 4 monstrosities and see what fits the balance of your campaign better.
From what I can see, the balance is definitely a little off. A CR 4 elephant hits once for ~20 dmg, while a CR 4 Girallon makes 5 attacks for ~7 each.

Honestly, I'd just say same CR, but cap the intelligence at 5 or 6 to avoid spellcasting monsters.
>>
>>52219877
As monsters and monstrous humanoids are often lower intelligence I sometimes portray them as controlled in some way by more intelligent humanoids.

For example, in one game a government official payed a group of goblins to do dirty work for him. He was the "boss" at the end of the adventure, but was a complete pushover in terms of combat ability.
>>
>>52219877
Understandable, the main thing I try to keep in mind is what is in the area and how close would the party be to that thing/person/monster's territory. So if they stick to mostly cities and towns then yeah probably gonna fight alot of humanoids. Might have an attack or two by a monster on a smaller town, but then they are out near the sticks which means more chance to justify monsters popping up.
>>
>>52219919

This makes designing the towns/cities important because that allows for a variety of different combat scenarios.

For example, one of the cities in my settings is built over a giant waterfall and has an extensive sewer/waterworks. While there are friendly Otuyugs hired by the city to act as Garbage disposal there are plenty of various monsters and mutant horrors lurking in the sewers as well so you could wind up fighting the Crawlers (can't remember their names) or Golems designed to protect key infrastructure in the sewer.
>>
my setting is mostly humans but currently the party is mostly fighting undead
>>
Is Hunger of Hadar the coolest spell in the game or what?

The only reason I run it is just to hear the DM describe how the enemies react to being inside of it.
>>
>>52219955
That's something I need to work on actually. Especially since the capital city in my campaign is like 25 mi in radius, lots of underground places to explore if done right.
>>
>>52220003
Do they get tentacle raped?
>>
>>52220003
Next time you use it have your character laugh and mutter "this is just like one of my hentais'".
>>
Give me your Mystic builds.

Here's mine: Avatar, Mantle of Joy, and Mantle of Fear. Get Mastery of Force + Iron Durability + Bestial Form for mass AC.

By 5th level, after buffing up you can cast Incite Panic 4 times to totally fuck up any encounter ever, or pass out 207 temp HP with Soothing Presence. All while cartwheeling around with mega AC.

Iron Durability can be swapped for Mastery of Wood and Earth to summon 「THE WALL」.
>>
What discipline should I choose for my level 3 Psychic Detective?

Order if the Awakened so.. I am thinking..
- Telephathic Contact
- Psychic Disruption
- Nomadic Mind
- Third Eyes
>>
>>52220070
Where's your Psychic Inquisition?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJoL7Nk2FT0
>>
>>52220041

Become a Kung Fu Doctor

Immortal with Pisonic Weapon, Psionic restoration, Corrosive metabolism, and Brute Force.

Basically play them like Tsunade from Naruto..
>>
>>52220041
I'm going full on Professor X, at least for now, so i'm taking nothing TK or elemental related. Psychic Assault, Telepathic Contact, Psychic Disruption for level one.
>>
File: Elika.jpg (81KB, 564x791px) Image search: [Google]
Elika.jpg
81KB, 564x791px
Elika with Nomad/Awakend Disciplines. The Prince is a Nomad with Nomad/Immortal Disciplines.
>>
>>52220199
Wouldn't the prince just be a thief or a champion or something? He wasn't very magical himself from what I remember.
>>
>>52220220

I guess, maybe I'm just too hyped for mystic.
>>
>>52219116
Actually scratch that going drow for finesse weapon proficiency, drow have a few psionics because of the underdark right?
>>
>alchemical acid deals maximum damage to objects
>it says you can use it to target creatures or objects
>doesn't specify that the objects can't be ones that are carried or worn
Get fucked, enemy weapons, armor, and shields.
>>
So, it would be dumb as hell, but how powerful do you think you could make a non-blade pact Hexblade warlock?
>>
>>52220244
House Oblodra was one of the major powers in Menzoberanzan and relied largely on psionics. They were wiped out, but you could always be a rogue formerly from that house. One of the major players is Kimmuriel, who partners with Jarlaxle as head of Bregan D'aerthe.

So yes.
>>
>>52220281
hexblades curse still kicks ass for eldritch blast unless i'm reading it wrong
>>
I'm a little confused on how the spell Sleep works. Does my total roll need to be higher then the creature's hit points I'm trying to effect to make them sleep? And then I get to spend the rest on the next person?
>>
>>52220509
You go from lowest HP to highest in the area and subtract that from the HP amount you rolled. As long as you don't reduce the HP you rolled to 0, that creature will fall asleep.
>>
>>52220522
Oh cool, thanks for the explanation.
>>
>>52220281
It'd work for the armor/shield proficiency and curse still works with Eldritch Blast.

If the goal is maximum Eldritch Blasting, I'd use it for a Sorlock (first level sorc, 2 levels Hexblade Warlock (Agonizing Blast and something else that's useful like Repelling Blast or Devil's Sight), then Sorc all the way.
>>
>>52220689
idk honestly going straight warlock for master of hexes might be worth it
>>
>>52220123
It seem weaker and redundant with Telepathic contact. Is it actually worth getting?
>>
>>52220899
Hammer of Inquisition is fantastic, particularly if you have an allied caster to pair Hold Monster or another disable with.

Phantom Idea is one of the most abusable abilities in the game too, but it's more DM dependent.
>>
>>52220899
From a combat point of view.
Gives you a wisdom debuff on the target.

From a rpg point of view, it allows you to do cool shit. plant a memory can be useful sometimes, Probing npc mind for info, will always be useful
>>
>>52220745
I wouldn't recommend picking a class for their level 14th ability unless you're starting the campaign level 10-15 already.

Not that straight Warlock is bad, mind you, but it's a bad reason unless you know for sure the campaign will last that long and that you'll get to reap its benefits.
>>
So a weapon focused Avatar Mystic. How'd I do it?

Bonus points for a 1d8 weapon because of my OCD with Potent Psionics.
>>
>>52219789
You will probably need to step in to stop them dying in the first 30 minutes
>>
>>52218976
20% isn't gonna help when there's a billion archetypes.

I'd make it about 1.5*(100/n) where n is the number of options.
>>
>>52221146
Pick a race that give you weapon proficiency i guess.

High Elf +2dex +1 int is solid, 1d6 on Short Sword (can use booming blade) or 1d8 long bow if you want ranged.

Ignore the medium armor, use shield, get the discipline that gives you 14+dex ac and your ac will be solid.

If you want to be edgy and retarded at the same time, go Drow, use rapier and throw darkness where you are fighting to ignore the disadvantage.
>>
>>52221089
> Gives you a wisdom debuff on the target.
Not really useful unless you have a Wizard or someone else who can use that debuff.

> plant a memory can be useful sometimes, Probing npc mind for info, will always be useful

Can't do those shit until level 5 and level 7. There is no point for him to investing in the discipline right now since Mystic can switch Discipline every time they level up.
>>
>>52221182
>>52219789
I agree. New players are dumb and always try to go "LOL RANDUM CHAOTIC EVIL ACT JUST LIKE MY SKYRIM!"
>>
>>52221200
Kinda feeling the edgy and retarded way. Another option would be Dwarf for weapons and a Strength Focus, might fuck over my armour and Intelligence a little bit though. A Duergar has some cool racials for a Psion. Might give that route a look.
>>
>>52221227
To be fair Skyrim was pretty cool
>>
>>52221212

The target suffers disadvantage until the end of your next turn. you can combo with incite panic or mind storm, as an example.

About lvl 5 or lvl 7. I was talking about what you could do, not how to build a character or when to get the discipline.
>>
> Psychic Crush (7 psi). As an action, you create a 20-foot cube of psychic energy within 120 feet of you. Each creature in that area must make an Intelligence saving throw. On a failed save, a target takes 8d8 psychic damage and is stunned until the end of your next turn. On a successful save, a target takes half as much damage.

Who need monk?
>>
>>52221256
:l
>>
>>52221291
:D
>>
>>52221307
>>52221291
>>52221256
Why is it that I think Skyrim is an awful game but also really want them to just release the next one already?
>>
>>52221339
The foolish hope it'll be better? Most of us have it.
>>
>>52221146
I'm going Hobgoblin for mine for the proficiency in martial weapons.
>>
>>52221356
I would but to be quite frank I fucking hate Hobgoblins. I can play Goblins but not large Orc and Goblin races.

Maybe a Half-Elf with a butter knife?
>>
Would something like this be balanced? I want an option for a flurry of attacks.

When making an attack without disadvantage, you can choose to make the attack with disadvantage. If both d20 results would hit, it counts as two hits for resolving damage.
>>
>>52221339
I'm only 18 and have been playing d&d since I was 9. So when I was 12 and Skyrim came out I begged my mom to buy it. It was my first experience seeing an open fantasy world in a way I could really see it rather than just imagine. It might just be nostalgia but even though I find Morrowind and Oblivion superior, I'll always hold Skyrim in a special place.
>>
>>52221406
Pretty sure this is already in the game somewhere.
>>
>>52221406
You're asking for the ability to take disadvantage to get a critical hit--more than that, since it would double flat bonuses as well. So no, it would not be balanced without a limited resource attached.

If you want a flurry of attacks, you should be a fighter (Action Surge) or monk (Flurry of Blows).
>>
>>52221408
Yeah Oblivion was my first and I really do love it. When I was about like 10ish and got it, I tried to make a d&d campaine out of it and I knew zero lore. Just made shit up and had laughs saving the day. God nostalgia's a weird feeling
>>
>>52221449
Did the exact same thing with my little friends after getting Skyrim. None of us knew anything but I still play with those fellas today.
>>
>>52221439
If you were to roll a 20 and a 3, it would still be a miss because of disadvantage.

I had in mind it being attached to a Barbarian rage variant that was more about lots of weak attacks instead of fewer strong attacks.
>>
>>52221471
Yeah it's good having people you always knew to play with. I started D&D when I was 9 I think and my first character was a grumpy Dwarven Fighter who just wanted to have peace and quiet.
>>
>>52219033
>basing your campaign off Honey I Shrunk the Kids
>>
Who was your first fifth edition character, /5eg/?

Mine was Pavel, the sketchy half elf draconic sorceror.
>>
>>52221648
Thalvos. A very young, weak and not very smart noble boy. He was sent to the local church and became Tempest Cleric of Talos even though he was a nice guy. Also always wore an eye patch as a sign of his faith but it got itchy so he changed the eye a lot.
>>
File: Arisha2.png (3KB, 70x70px) Image search: [Google]
Arisha2.png
3KB, 70x70px
>>52221648
Arisha. True Neutal VHuman Blue Dragon Sorcerer. Very short, very foul-mouthed, very grumpy and blunt, and not too much of a care for anyone beyond their very unusual adoptive family and a few close friends, refusing to ever discuss their birth family. That said, they weren't against helping people just to do so if it wasn't of any real detriment to them.
Also hated being touched enough to Thunderclap through sheer force of voice-volume, which the GM decided was okay.

I'm pissed the campaign died after two sessions after being delayed for a month solid, especially since everyone was enjoying themselves and an anon here made pic related for me.
And the same fucking thing happened the second campaign I was in too
>>
>>52221648
Davrak, a half-orc druid. He punched a wizard and ended up petrified for 600 years. Upon being released he promptly punched another wizard.

The second one teleported him halfway across the world into some nasty gnoll-infested caves, where he bumped into the party. Stuck in the wrong continent and 6 centuries out of time, he stuck with them since there was really nothing else left for him.

fuck wizards.
>>
>>52219033
Just make the goblin bigger duh
>>
>>52221648
Dover. Tall, but kind of thin son of a Guardsman. Sort of jittery, but is a good person. A non-retired Guardsman friend of his Dad, as a sort of last-request before he passed, took him under his wing up north in a sleepy frontier town.

Naturally, shit went bad and some asshat accused of Witchcraft summoned a demon that murked the town and left him to run into the wilderness during winter, which sucked, but he survived.
>>
>>52219767

Due to having stats for both dragon and elemental cultists of even moderately high level (enough to challenge level 20 PCs anyway) as well as powerful warlocks of all 3 PHB pacts, there is no storyline too high powered or exotic to not fit humanoid antagonists.

Aside from a few bandits, scouts, and spies, though, I really despise using really weak humanoids. CR2 for medium, CR 1 for small is typical.

On average, NPCs have similar stats, hit points and capabilities to PCs in the broadest sense, but due to lacking feats and archetypes, as well as usually being in imbalanced, samey parties (usually birds of a feather stick together) they don't cover each other's strengths well and tend to fare poorly. The instinct a lot of DMs have to make NPCs mostly CR 1/8 tards is misleading I think; they should generally require the PCs to notice them, if only for a moment, to obliterate them.
>>
>>52221648
Well, my first ever 5e char was Dragonborn Paladin. Pretty much that. I was just visiting my friends at the time though and could only play the one game
My first char that was worth a damn was a gasp!forest gnome EK raised by dwarves. Unfortunately, the campaign fell through pretty quickly, but I've got him in my back pocket.

>>52221824
The Fire Emblem is strong with this one.
>>
>>52221975
Do you mean the art style or the character's concept in general?
>>
For a Cleric, what spell/scroll options do I have in making sure an enemy doesn't pass a Wisdom check on an important spell? I'm planning on Geas-ing an important enemy NPC
>>
>>52221987
The art. Was trying to place which game she came from until you mentioned friendly neighborhood anon cooked her up for you.
>>
>>52220199
Prince is literally rogue swashbucker or thief. charisma out the ass, and fought duels with tough enemies in an acrobatic style. god I loved that game. I wish they would have continued it
>>
>>52221408
>>52221449
>>52221471
Yeah, Oblivion was my first too. Must have achieved 100% completion at least five times. Loved the Thieves Guild, loved the Dark Brotherhood. Took me ages to realise I a) could join them and b) how to join them, because I never used a bed, I was a kid, so I just had god mode on loads.

I remember by the end I'd downloaded a lich mod and was having the best time lurking in that haunted house in Anvil, I loved the secret room.

Being a Vampire Lord wasn't quite as good in Skyrim, but it came close.
>>
>>52221648
Same one as I'm playing now, I only started recently. He's an expat from a different RPG.

Valorvir, a drow rogue who veers into dark magic. Used to be the pet of a priestess in Menzoberranzan, but got stabbed and had a near death experience, and vowed to steal divinity from a god and use it to kill everything ever in order to never be at risk of dying again.

He's less edgy than his backstory implies.
>>
File: 1484596418781.png (131KB, 688x583px) Image search: [Google]
1484596418781.png
131KB, 688x583px
>>52221995
The artist is great. At this point I'm thinking Undying Light Warlock might be a better fit if I want to throw laser beams everywhere like I first wanted to, though.
And admittedly looking back, one of the people in her background was basically an equivalent to Peri, albeit not serving anyone anywhere near as high up as royalty.
>>
>>52221992
Bestow curse, target Wisdom saves.

>>52222017
Mm, I recognize some of the characters, one is straight lifted from the game lol, the Human Rogue. Pretty good though, I always liked the FE profiles.
>>
>>52221375
I'm curious as to why. I also guess you mean default Hobgoblins/Orcs from the Forgotten Reals..
>>
>>52221992
Suggestion: 'You will not attempt to resist any harmless spell I cast on you'

Though it might still be seen as putting their life in danger because they can't really tell if a spell is going to be harmless or not

Charm person to make them your friend, then try to convince them to fail the save?
>>
>>52222103
>Forgot clerics get neither of those spells
Ask a teammate to help you.

Drug them somehow.

I don't know.
>>
Are there any Domains that would work for a god of Farming, Anger and Revenge? I mean Nature could kinda work but that has a lot of abilities that don't really work. It's a custom setting before anyone asks what god that is.

Also we have to bring a copy of a character who effectively is the opposite of our class. I have a feeling that it's going to involve some universe shifting stuff, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor style. Would a Swamp Druid be the opposite of a Farming Cleric?
>>
>>52221648
Gyle, a crazy Knowledge Cleric Gnome who lusted after the power of divinity and worshipped no god, but instead the philosophy of Knowledge is power'.
Super-edgy, but I was 12. Died at the hands of sneaky ogres.
>>
>>52221648
Mine was a tiefling paladin. His name was prince Ali, and yes, he was actually a prince.
>>
>>52222109
For an angry nature god type, War, Tempest or even Death work. War is all about the Wild Hunt, Tempest in nature's fury and Death could be an angry killed who also like the cycle of life. Vengence Paladin or Ancient Paladins also fit the theme, though I'm curious about this God's backstory.
Swamp Druid is cool, but you could pick a Mastermind Rogue or something and play uo the whole civilised aspect and keeping control of their emotions.
>>
>>52222094
Mostly a lack of interesting flavor. I won't lie, the fact they're mostly presented as just plain old silly looking instead of dangerous in a lot of art doesn't help.

I played a Half-Orc once that I loved though. He was actually Quarter Gray Orc, most people thought he was a fuck huge, gray and ugly barbarian. He was actually a very gentle man.
>>
>>52222109
Well, they have two domains. Anger and Farming. So you only really need to satisfy one of those. You don't need to focus on EVERY aspect of a god. Especially some snowflake like the god of ANGRY FARMING.

I'd say either a religious vengeance paladin or a nature domain cleric. Or some sort of really angry religious druid.
>>
>>52222109
>>52222146
Actually, yeah, seeing the other response, tempest is pretty good as it has links with nature (And farming depends on weather, somewhat) and it also has links with anger, normally.
>>
How do we fix mastermind rogue to not be shit?

Do we make AT less overpowered?
Do we make mastermind's later features more interesting?
>>
>>52222141
I dunno, I'm kinda fond of FR's Orcs. An evil race done right, though people claim they come across as a race of dindus. They're not Gnolls or Demons, so they ain't evil for the sake of evil, but they're definitely not anything else, and Volo's gave them some cool traditions.
>>
>>52222154
> AT
> overpower
No. Other archetype should be buff to AT level, not dragging AT down.
>>
File: 1455523910410.jpg (214KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
1455523910410.jpg
214KB, 600x620px
>>52222171
>Implying it's even possible to buff non-magic archetypes to the level of a magic one.
>>
>>52222171
That takes more effort, but it's true a lot of the shit some of the archetypes get is kinda boring.
>>
>>52222154
Compared to most of the archetypes in SCAG, mastermind was far from the worst. Undying says hi.

Honestly, it has its place, and giving free advantage to your fighter or ranger every round for free is not bad at all.
>>
>>52222134
>>52222146
This guy's deal is he was basically head of the entire regions farmers ages ago. He was masterful at leading the people and used magic to make sure every harvest during every season was bountiful. Long story but basically one day one of the other gods, pre-godhood came along.

He's a god of rulers, civilisation and war. Declared a war upon the farmlands, killed everyone in a one sided battle, took their food and moved on to let his settlers build new towns there.

ANGRY FARMING god came back as a Revenant and attacked the army of the War god, killed 2 men then died. Basically he kept coming back to life and attacking the army with his sickle everyday until they lost too many men and had to retreat. Stopping the area from ever being settled

Now that whole area's full of trees, plants, animals and angry undead and trees. He's worshiped by small frontier towns, areas that are being dragging into a war and people who want revenge against a superior enemy.
>>
>>52221648
Gart the Guard who helped some adventurers rescue some villagers. He likes kicking down doors without checking for traps.

Can anyone tell me if the 8 INT wizard meme build is viable beyond level 4 without UA? I want to play one for some low level adventures bit it would be nice to know if it works at higher levels as well.
>>
>>52222235
So he's... Literally just a normal revenant?

Sounds about right, given how godly a revenant's power is despite being a subrace addition.
>>
>>52222289
Basically there was no god to there was this whole fucky thing. Got the 23-ish most powerful people in the setting and made them gods.

Revenant's are now basically his version of chosen priests.
>>
>>52222235
So... How is still god of farming? He stops things being settled, and seems to have embraced wild nature, instead of cultivation like farming. Perhaps nature's bounty, but not farming.
>>
>>52219767
Most of the enemies my PCs face are people or were people before something horrible happened to them.
>>
>>52222318
I'm not the DM, I just play in the setting and I'm going off what I remember. I specifically remember farming is his portfolio though.
>>
>>52222331
Fair enough, was just curious. Are you playing a Revenant if they're his favs?
>>
>>52222341
I thought about it but they're his high priest so most likely not. Thinking I'll go Human Tempest Cleric and reflavor some things, the retaliation ability's very flavorful. I do kinda hope I become a Revenant at some point and I'll let the DM know that.
>>
>>52219596
>tfw mad that Animate Weapon is so good because I want to be a Wood and Earth faggot making giant wooden walls in the middle of combat but my thunder's completely stolen by the ability of every Tom, Dick, and Cheeselord spamming Animate Weapon + Lethal Strike being able to do that too
reeeeeeeee stop being nova-chasing shitheads reeeeeeee
>>
>>52220249
Considering literally everything else won't let you fuck with "items being worn or carried", at least without a save, this is obviously an oversight.

But if you can squeak it past your DM, more power to you.
>>
>>52221200
why do people keep talkin' like racial darkvision or the spell does anything against the magical Darkness spell
the only people who can see through that shit are Warlocks with a specific invocation and Mystics focusing on a specific discipline
so while that's possible, somehow i doubt that was your intention
>>
>>52222017
>Brown Elf
>>
>>52222182
Just give them Psionics. Not magic!
>>
>>52222429
He didn't say anything about darkvision at all anon.

In Magical Darkness both side are blind so they both get advantage and disadvantage on attack. Which cancel each other out and turn into a neutral roll.
>>
>>52222454
Well the wording from Telepathic Contact discipline seem to hint that other class can get access to discipline.

> If you don’t have that feature from the mystic class, you instead gain it while focused on this discipline

So... psionic archetype soon?
>>
>>52222477
That's there because you can take the discipline at level 1 (or a talent that does similar), but Mystics in general don't get Telepathy until level 2 as their class feature.

>psionic archetype
We already know they're doing this. Sohei is a Fighter/psi.
>>
Need ideas for Nightstone 1-5 chapter of SKT as I'm gonna run it for the umpteenth time for a new group.
>>
Is it possible to smite as a Warlock but not have the fiend pact? I've read around and all I can find is the Mace of Dispater invocation that lets you smite and knock people prone.
>>
>>52222665
Fey has Bow smite
Hex blade has Greatsword smite
GoO has flail smite

Pick your poison.
>>
I'm pretty new to DnD and tabletop in general. I was wondering how does one know what's balanced and shit? I'm referring to how new UAs release and people can already theorycraft if this thing is OP or confidently say "damn, 1d6 + ability mod is too damn good at that level!" or when they discuss what are good build ups. I'm not looking into powergaming or shit but I want to understand the game on that kind of level. Is it simply something you can understand in time and not something you look up? Like I'm reading Firebolt being 1d10 for a cantrip and to me, that seems pretty good to have that damage output at level 1 but I'm still unsure if I'm right or not.
>>
>>52222665
there's a flail of smites for GOO and a bow of smite for feyfags
>>
>>52222681
1d10 isn't that good, it's better for wizard to just use a crossbow or something until level 5 when it's 2d10 fire damage
>>
File: 5e rant.jpg (1MB, 1054x3161px) Image search: [Google]
5e rant.jpg
1MB, 1054x3161px
/5eg/ BTFO
>>
>>52222717
Man that guy sure is upset about a lot of things that don't exist.
>>
>>52222684
>>52222679
Ah, thank you both!
>>
File: fresh hell.png (6KB, 176x158px) Image search: [Google]
fresh hell.png
6KB, 176x158px
>>52222717
It's still as shitty as the first time I read it
>>
>>52218990
>Stop saying the Sharpshooter Fighter's worse then Hand Crossbow.
Stop saying the Sharpshooter Fighter is worse subsequently Hand Crossbow.

?
>>
File: 9ulVckY.png (395KB, 827x681px) Image search: [Google]
9ulVckY.png
395KB, 827x681px
>>52222717
>a bunch of whining over fluff to a terrible setting literally nobody uses
>btfo
Pick one.
>>
>>52222717
Did this happen in a /pfg/ thread? No wonder their playerbase is so shit.
>>
File: aarakocra.jpg (8KB, 188x269px) Image search: [Google]
aarakocra.jpg
8KB, 188x269px
Why is the Aarakocra's description in Elemental Evil so retarded? Most of it is alright, but this one section is almost as bad as Kender, look at this shit
>The idea of ownership baffles most aarakocra. After all, who owns the sky? Even when explained to them, they initially find the notion of ownership mystifying. As a result, aarakocra who have little interaction with other people might be a nuisance as they drop from the sky to snatch livestock or plunder harvests for fruits and grains. Shiny, glittering objects catch their eyes. They find it hard not to pluck the treasure and bring it back to their settlement to beautify it. An aarakocra who spends years among other races can learn to inhibit these impulses.

They are almost on par with the Kender for terms of cutesy kleptomania that doesn't work. The only redeeming factor is that they don't deny it and can learn what it is.
>>
>>52222835
As an aside how was Elder Scrolls based on d20 in any fucking way? that seems unlikely and just plain wrong.
>>
What are the best choices for a Circle of Land Druid's land? Swamp and Mountain are the best for the character but honestly I can change the background a bit to use anything.
>>
>>52222870
TES was based on a 2e campaign setting
>>
>>52222863
It feels more like some ancom tribal thing than Kender to me.
>>
>>52222835
This was on >>52222329
>>
>>52222899
Yeah the setting of it, I think, not so much system, even Arena was way too different from the way 2e played and worked to claim that it was basically a d20 system behind the game, at least that's what I recall.
>>
>>52222863
I feel it's more of a "If I need something right now I'll assume I can use it" thing but they get a bit confused if someone shows little sympathy if they need it.

Also how long can you spend with people before learning money? That's like the first thing you'd figure out. So most Aarakocra adventurers should understand it.
>>
>>52222895
The spell choices you get from Arctic are pretty good, a lot of early control spells.
>>
>>52222945
Actually Arctic's the one tricky one. I can't see a Lizardfolk managing to survive there.
>>
>>52218976
It's gonna be lore bard fampai
>>
>>52222973
Oh well that clarifies things a bit. As it happens, I was thumbing through looking at the circles again, and actually grassland may be one of the best, about 7/8 of the spells are top notch useful.
>>
>>52223016
Actually now that I've given it a look Grasslands is amazingly useful. Though a frost lizard would be kinda cool.
>>
>>52222681
You'll learn to see what's overpowered in time. Firebolt isn't that good because it doesn't have any added damage and because it deals fire damage (commonly resisted by monsters)
>>
>>52222863
Even an animal understands territory.

They should at least understand 'This is my territory, the things within it are mine and taking them will make me angry.'

If their wisdom isn't even that high, they're more stupid than ogres.
>>
>>52222681
You mostly compare the things that different classes can do at the same level. Shooting a firebolt does less damage than shooting someone with a heavy crossbow, for example.
>>
What are the best Cantrips for an Arcana Cleric to take? Other then melee ones of course.
>>
>>52222717
This guy is retarded, vampire spawn look the same as normal vampires, they are just under the control of another vampire. To become a vampire, normally you have to become a spawn first.
>>
>>52223142
Shape water/shape earth, they're decent utility shit
>>
I really want to play a furiously jolly Oriental inspired dwarven sailor that beats things with a giant oar. He has a deep respect for the sea that nearly took his life but spared him instead. How can I build this concept?

I thought Storm barbarian with a reflavoured maul for the oar could work. Tempest cleric looks great but I don't picture him in armor, though there's a chance to get shillelagh with a quarterstaff here. Could a Barb/sorcerer multiclass work? I just want to bring the thunder
>>
>>52223245
Does he necessarily need to do lightning magic or can he just be martial?
>>
>>52223266
I was going for a gish here. I wanted him to be a kind of storm zealot.
>>
>>52223245
Not really much point to barb/sorc multiclass.

Storm barbarian is a betterbet.

Quarterstaff is actually pretty okay considering you can use PAM with it. It also works well on a paladin, especially if you get charisma shillelagh from somewhere like bard or warlock. Smites can be refluffed as needed.
>>
>>52222717
In addition to the many other things that are wrong here, Lovecraft's fiction is all public domain. You don't have to "get the copyright" to include Azathoth in your RPG, the only reason you wouldn't do that is because you didn't want to. Why else do you think so many companies make Cthulhu shit?
>>
>>52222717
Is he a literal retard?
>>
>>52223376
Yes.
>>
what magical trinket would you give to the son of a smith who ran away to be an adventurer

or rather

do you guys know a site that generates some decent magical gizmos that i can give away and not have it bite me in the ass
>>
>>52222901
Same shit.
>>
>>52223515
Some sort of portable miniforge. Not really as great as a big proper forge, but great for an adventurer who needs to make something on the fly, like trying to fashion a long pole to span across a chasm or to fit into a round slot to poke and set off a trap.
>>
File: 1428064064313.jpg (34KB, 437x506px) Image search: [Google]
1428064064313.jpg
34KB, 437x506px
>>52223586
that's actually quite good, thanks senpai
>>
>>52221199
If it was that way, there would be far too many candidates to fit into a poll. The selection needs to be narrowed down somewhat.
>>
>>52223641
Well, actually, I think a better formula would be

X/(Yln(n))

Where X and Y are variables you choose and n is the number of archetypes.

The idea was that 1.5 was a pretty arbitrary value.

The point is, that if you have 2 archetypes and you just pick 20% or more than it's almost gauranteed both will get in even if 4/5 people hate one of the archetypes, and if you have 100 archetypes then almost nothing is likely to get past 20%.

The Y above repesents that as you get more and more archetypes it's likely a lot will be discarded as trash or irrelevant while only a few archetypes are really relevant.
>>
>>52223291
That's an overly specific combination of requirements. But check the newest Barbarian UA; there's some more magic-flavored barbarians there.
>>
>>52223707
Well, someone's clearly proxy-voted Lore Master to the top, so I wouldn't take this poll too seriously at all.

Expect Lore Master to win the final poll, just for the lulz.
>>
Halforc life domain cleric thats intimidating in his looks but a gentle soul good idea or shit? I thought about playing one
>>
I'm playing a barb and I'm about to get my next ASI. Not sure how to spend it since I have an odd STR score. I have 19 str, 14 dex, 18 con, 9 int, 13 wis, and 12 cha. Do I take the +1 in STR and dump the other point elsewhere?
>>
>>52221648
Randall the tricky Wood Elf Shadow monk/Hunter Ranger.

Worked pretty great in both melee and ranged combat.

Spent most of his life chasing bounties and enjoying the thirll.

I retired him in a town of wood elves where he married the bakers daughter.

Currently i'm planing on making my next character one of his descendants.
>>
>>52223859
what's your general character build?
The point in strength is a given, but depending on what you're working on, that other point might just be better spent bumping int to get you out of the negatives.
>>
>>52223859
Unless theres a feat you want that also gives +1 Strength
>>
>>52223926
I feel like I would want Great weapon master before anything else. I already spent my first ASI on con. Maybe I should have gotten my feat first
>>
>>52223859
What level are you, what are you doing, what are your other feats, etc
>>
>>52223761
Fuckin' wizards.
>>
>>52223955
If you wield two-handed weapons, Great Weapon Master is the first thing you get.

Do it now.
>>
>>52223958
About to hit level 8. No other feats so probably just gonna grab GWM like >>52223979 said.
>>
>>52223859
+1 str +1 wis isn't a bad idea, or you could go for +1 str +1 dex then get resilient (dex) later. Or you could get resilient(wis) at some point.
>>
I have a Wild Magic sorceror in my campaign. He recently died to a surge fireball and came back after being entirely fried. The player's interested in switching to Phoenix sorc now. Any problems with this?
>>
>>52224062
It's only a problem if you, as the DM, have a problem with it.
>>
File: Heroes.jpg (5MB, 2538x3994px) Image search: [Google]
Heroes.jpg
5MB, 2538x3994px
>>52224062
>He recently died to a surge fireball
Could be worse.
>>
>>52224092
I was wondering if anyone had played one, and what sort of balancing I may need to do.
>>
>>52224111
Oooooh. I thought you were asking if its okay for your player to switch archetypes.

I know people seem to like Phoenix Sorc. but i've never played one as my DM has stupid custom things for the Sorcerers in his setting. I basically steer clear of Casters now.
>>
>>52224111
phoenix sorcerer is terrible unless you let the phoenix power refresh on a short rest
>>
>>52223993
Resilient (Dex) is largely redundant on a Barb because of Danger Sense.

I mean, you can't never have *too high* Dex saves, but in this case Wis is the bigger hole.

But GWM is priority to barb better.
>>
>>52224250
Is not dropping to zero really a short rest ability though? That seems fairly overpowered.
>>
>>52224299
no I mean the thing where they become all fiery and shit
It's what the class is centered around and if it's fucking once per day then I guess it could nova against a boss, but otherwise it's just a shitty sorcerer
>>
for rogues which subclass is the flexible or i can have most fun

Currently I thinking between theif vs AT
>>
>>52224318
That makes sense. I think I'll take your advice. I have another question, though. When he was resurrected, I gave him fire resistance, simply because I like to bestow powers based on story elements. There's a whole paragraph in the UA about how phoenix's DON'T resist fire, which I think is fucking dumb. Is there any reason I shouldn't keep the resistance? I know fire is a common damage type, but I don't think he'll be soaking too much.
>>
>>52224339
Read the AT spell list and try to think of fun shit to do with Thief's quick hands. Compare lists, decide for yourself.
>>
>>52224389
well if you think it's fine you can keep it, I think it's okay too because it seems to fit your DMing style
>>
>>52224339
spells > no spells

as long as Mearls + Crawford are at the helm
>>
>>52224339
You'll probably never reach level 14, but use magic device is a fun as fuck ability.
>>
hello kind sirs
my players are at 0 gold right now. instead of just offering them a random cave adventure with some loot... i want to use a heist scenario. can you point me towards a good module for something like that ? they are level 3 and i would prefer something inside a city. Thank you
>>
>>52219033
Keep the players' scale the same.
Stat the goblin as a hill giant.
>>
>>52224446
This. Also spells fit very nicely into a rogue's toolset.
>>
>>52224536
Get a floorplan. Get ideas for things that would be in it; guard dogs/pets, guards stationed or walking, inhabitants, etc. Add in a few quirks, maybe some plot hooks or things of personal interest, like allusions to a cult or things only one character would notice or care about. Then give the players a way to scout and learn this information, and come up with their own plan. If the dice are willing, rule-of-cool things a bit if they pull off something unexpected and badass that might only work if that one guard just went to fetch some tea or use the loo. And if they get caught, go full magical law enforcement/tracking on their ass with full use of level 1-3 PHB spells, or higher if it's a serious crime.
>>
So am I misreading things or is Wild Shape just dogshit in combat past level 5-6? Even a as a Moon Druid it seems weak.

Can it be made viable?
>>
So I'm letting Mystics in my game once it starts. However I wasn't planning on having Psychics until now, and I have to think about worldbuilding. Psychics often come with that theme of studying, disbelief, and horror in media since they're often the only, or most overt supernatural thing in the setting. In your generic medieval fantasy D&D setting it's just a snowflake sorcerer that has subtle spell constantly on, and no one really bats an eye.

How do I make them stand out? I was entertaining the idea of having them be a recent phenomenon, letting the "We gotta study these strange people." theme exist, and having them all be somehow linked to some horrible catastrophe that is happening, like they're a by-product of Azathoth manifesting, or a result of people mining radioactive ore, which helps the horror theme.

Has anyone else been thinking about how they'll incorporate Mystics in their game?
>>
>>52224754
I'm just saying they're notable because they have no direct magical presence and appear to have innate powers rather than arcane, which is something never seen before.
>>
>>52224702
You're misreading things.
Moon Druid is a full caster. Compare it to Valor Bard and Bladesinger, not a Fighter. They get a shitton of free HP to absorb blows and often all sorts of utility like grapples on hit.
>>
>>52224754
In my game, mystics are like warlocks - their magic comes from another world. However, while warlocks are making pacts with strange entities on purpose to gain their magic, mystics have been exposed to the ruinous influence of Far Realm and survived. That experience changed them, expanding their minds.
>>
>>52224702
You are. Their HP bloats into the sun making them the last guy to die, and their damage goes down in comparison to everyone else. They can still do things like have a 0 in con, cast a powerful concentration spell, then become a beast with +3 in con, proficiency and advantage in saves through taking feats, and laugh as everyone slaps your 200 HP bar trying to make you lose concentration on your army of wolves or whatever.
>>
>>52224100
Damn, that was a hell of a story.
Wild surge only came up once tho
>>
>>52221648
Ander, the College of Lore wandering half-elf bard. Pretty standard, I suppose. But he's fun.
>>
>>52224702
AT level 10, they get Elemental Form, which lets them become a CR 5 brute with a heap of immunities and about 12 hit dice.

Compare Moon Druids to 3e wild shapers -- you'll notice that they generally can shift into better forms than a 3e druid would, given 5e's bestiary.
>>
>>52224702
You switch into controller with autp restrain on attack.
>>
I am actually going to play a dwarf mountain Wizard with 12 INT.... How bad is it?
>>
>>52224910
insert 8 int wizard meme here
>>
>>52224910
Go Diviner Wizard or Loremaster. Laugh as your enemies fail every low save you set for them.
>>
>>52220019
Big capital city in my setting is just Sigil so I just need to find resources on it.
Though I still need to populate it with a few more major cities. I got Manifest in the Northwest as undead making sure demons don't leak through Plague-mort but I don't have anything else.
>>
>>52224910
It's as bad as you let it be. If you try to be a typical Wizard with 12 int you won't be doing what a typical Wizard does. But loading up on rituals and out of combat spells ain't bad and swinging a warhammer while wearing armor is never a terrible idea.

If you want casting to be your true focus it's going to get laughing anime girls when your DM kills you.
>>
>>52224754
Rarity adds character, let it be an urban legend that there are people in the world who don't cast spells but can exert the same amount of power. They can read minds, move objects and unleash terrible destruction without flinching.

Mystics are thought to not be real by the populace, and a less talked about topic to those magically inclined save for those who wish to study them. Something like that works.
>>
>>52223801
I played a war Cleric, it could work, but gentle giant character reminds me of firbolg or a Goliath cause they are like seven feet tall.
>>
>>52221648
ROMERO THE ROGUE!
built like a line backer, non variant human with +1 at least on every stat.
he still lives to this day because our dm said we might go back to our first campaign.
>>
>>52221648
I've never played Dungeons and Dragons. I want to, but I don't know anyone who plays.
>>
>>52225190
>>>/pfg/
>>
>>52225229
I don't understand how that's an appropriate response.
>>
>>52225229
What does Pathfinder have to do with this?
>>
>>52224846
And to think that writefag intended to stop the story at the explosion at first.
>>
>>52225190
i met a group off of reddits lfg and it went pretty good. i guess it depends on where you live though.
>>
>>52221648

Golavün "Shinsplitter" Bearhammer

A Dwarf Fighter who during the first session awoke butt neked, completely lost, on the hillside of a mountain during a whiteout blizzard with no recollection of the last few days and a nasty hangover. He and his fellow Dwarven adventuring companions still to this day seek out Bearhammer Fortress in hopes of returning to their ancestral home.

Great campaign, wish it was still going.
>>
>>52225190
Hey me too! I made a character and that is about it. Now I am just applying to random games on roll 20 as long as they don't feature some kind of unacceptable mental deficiency red flags such as

weirds spacin
gs

and the use of things like "U" for you.

Anyways though I assume I will get into a group eventually that will teach me a bit. Thing is though I don't know when to apply? Like is two hours before hand enough? Six? A full week? I would love to play sometime today but my interest only began like 5 days ago.
>>
>>52225377
What's roll20? If that's some sort of LFG service I'd be interested in signing up.
>>
>>52225392
I came across it in the Game finder thread here on /tg/. Its a virtual table top. Sounds pretty useful to me.
>>
>>52221648
Winter half-elf Monk who got kicked out of his monastery because other students hated him for being different and never backing down from a fight. Went to adventuring for just that reason and is currently stuck in a necropolis under a city because the campaign fizzled out.

Plan to reroll him next chance I get as a Shadow Monk/Rogue because I'm tired of being the group leader all the time and just want to be the guy always down for a fight.
>>
File: roll20 session.png (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
roll20 session.png
4MB, 2560x1440px
>>52225392
It looks something like this.
>>
>>52225555
Did the DM have to draw those Xs on the downed enemies manually? Looks like he just used a line tool to draw over each of them.
>>
With the mystic now fully testable, i'm yet again dancing around the idea of a mind flayer/illithid player character, probably tweaking slightly any of the +INT/+CHA races into it, but I obviously don't want it to be too retarded so I can actually use it in games/let my players use it without destroying the balance.

So what could be some not-completely-broken racials for a mind flayer PC and what could be a theme appropriate mystic build for such a PC?

I'm thinking mostly mind fuckery and mind blasting, but not sure which discipline would fit better with it.
>>
How often do you include dragons in any capacity in your settings, /5eg/?

They seem like a very easy go-to for whatever sort of plot hooks you want to make, but there is obviously so many more options out there.
>>
>>52225704
Bitch I ain't here just to play Dungeons.
Dragons are literally half my campaigns.
The players go through a dungeon full of dragons. Like Gygax intended.
>>
>>52225660
No there are conditions you can overlay on the tokens themselves.
>>
>>52225704
A whole fucking lot of them, but the moment they hit young stage they either have to find some responsibility or hide lest Io come about and force them to be good and orderly sons of bitches. At some point I'm going to put in a Wyrm/Great Wyrm Red dragon who's just hiding out beneath the earth waiting for when he can usurp Bahamut/Tiamat for control of dragonkind.
>>
>>52225555
Shit, I should see if I can get my group to join this site since we do it online anyway
>>
A friend is gonna run a campaign soon and he ruled kensei weapons are consideres monk weapons, meaning I do not lose flurry and other MA features for using a greatsword or a glaive. I heard kensei is very strong with that ruling but I am not sure about playing one since its features from level 6 onward seem boring/somewhat weak.
Has anyone here played a kensei? How are his features compared to open hand?
I cant decide between open hand, sun soul and kensei
>>
>>52224285
Impossible saves are impossible, even with danger sense. DC 23 to avoid dragon firebreath? Danger sense doesn't matter, your dex save is +2, you've failed unless someone gave you a buff.

Of course, same applies to wis, but it just means that dex saves aren't entirely redundant, not that you didn't say there isn't a limit to how high you want your dex saves.

For barbarogues, they get evasion AND danger sense, and for them I wouldn't ever imagine saying they should get resilient(dex) unless they're feeling extra silly and want +1 dex.

+1 dex is pretty useful anyway, for initiative/stealth/AC etc. Though probably not important until level 20 if you don't aim to boost con and dex as high as possible.
>>
>>52225704
Addes two on my arabian nights campaign
One is a young blue female who uses a kobold made flat pyramid as throne
The other is a young blue male who started doing blood experiments which ended in him gaining hydra traits (5 heads that grow back when cut) and became feral, also infested the tunnels with giant half dragon rats (guard drakes) and some gibbering mouther reskins which have dragon heads and a random breath weapon
>>
>>52224339
AT is easily the most flexible, and is the only rogue archetype where both melee and ranged are 'optimal' choices. All other archetypes are best off using hand crossbows unless you have some weird melee synergy (tonnes of proning/barbarogue/wolfbarbarian), excluding swashbuckler who is naturally a melee rogue.
>>
>>52225774
When picking among the monk archetypes decide your priorities.

Sun soul - Survivabiltiy and radiant damage burst

Kensei - only playable with that ruling unless you make a shortsword your kensei weapon, higher damage on average and better chance at critting with greatswords.

Open hand - knock people arround and set up for your rogue and other front liners.

Shadow monk - king of mobility and stealth.

Long death monk - tanking and the nice fear effect are worth it.
>>
>>52225923
You meant
>Sun Soul- closest there is to ranged monk (unless you go longbow Kensei)
>>
>>52218946
I ran a level 20 one-shot with my closest friends who were brand new to TTRPGs, which according everything I've ever read on the internet should've been a horrible idea, but I did it anyways because fuck it. I had both my players pick from a list of 12 pregenerated characters. One picked a druid, the other picked bard. They spent the first couple sessions just fucking around in town. The bard collected a harem while the druid strolled around in the public park in bear mode while harassing the town's citizenry, guards, and local wildlife. Just as the plot was beginning to pick up, they had to call it quits due to things going on in their lives. That was a year ago and I haven't had a single decent game of D&D since then.
>>
>>52225923
The only reason to go sun soul is if you want to be Goku.
>>
>>52225975
Or use Hamon.
>>
>>52225967
I mean, that's fine, but what you're playing there isn't really 5e. It's a sandbox 'fuck around' game.

And that's fine, especially if you only play it for a couple of sessions, but you'd get pretty bored eventually.
>>
>>52226037
>Friends says that if he ever plays D&D, he wants to play the closest thing he can get to a Stand user
I don't even know how you'd get even close to that. A chainlock/Mystic mishmash or something? Using a Monk with a Bugbear or something for long-ranged punching?
>>
>>52225950
>>52225923
I've talked with my gm and he said I could use sunbolts in place of unnarmed attacks so I can attack twice with sunbolts (before level 5) without needing to spend ki which is great and also be able to keep my distance most of the time
I also considered the wot4e rework but it does not convince me.
Thanks for the help anons
>>
>>52226113
Ancestor or whataever path barbarian, fluff ancestor power as a stando
Or just play a caster, really stand powers are so varied you technically dont need a literal punch ghost
>>
>>52226113
Wizard.

The familiar is replaced with a stand.

Let them take feats or whatever to make it even more standlike, i.e. being able to cast things from it other than just touch spells.
>>
>>52226201
>>52226113
Actually, yeah, nah. Warlock, chain pact. Their familiars are INVISIBLE.
Refluff eldritch blasts as eldritch punches from the familiar.
>>
>>52225923
>>52225950
Oh yeah another thing i wanted to ask:
Sunbolts are ranged spell attacks, does this mean they are elegible for spell sniper? I know they get extra mobility so a 30ft range weapon does not hurt them but
>• When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll, the spell's range is doubled.
>• Your ranged spell attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
60ft bolts that ignore half and 3/4 cover seem pretty damn nice, and i get a cantrip as a bonus
Which cantrips are good for monks?
>>
>>52221648
Kyeol, a small catfolk bard with a sense of self-preservation that was just a little too strong.
>>
>>52226246
Yes sun beams work for Spell Sniper but not Sharpshooter.

As for Cantrips, boom blade maybe?
>>
>>52226246

You get only this effect cause sun-bolt isn't a spell but a spell attack. It's a wonky rule.

>>• Your ranged spell attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
>>
>>52226297
Ah shit apparently the first benefit does not work since technically you are not casting sun bolt. I know monk really wants dex and wis maxed asap, but I am curious about which feats would benefit sun soul, and if it matters i will be playing a tabaxi
>>
>>52226097
Maybe. I only get a few sessions of D&D a year with these guys (There is no one else I know who wants to be my player, and the other DMs I know are just awful). With too many ideas and too little time to put them into play, I'm going to overwhelm my players with options. However, as you've said, that's just fine if everyone's having fun, which we did. It'll be Spring Break at my university in a couple days, so here's to hoping I can schedule up another game with them when I come home for a week.
>>
Any ideas for high level Artificer Alchemical Formulas? Vials of elemental damage and thunderstones are cute and all, but those seem kinda underwhelming when the wizard opens a door to hell.
Where's the Philosopher's Stones (requires lvl 17) and Magic Lamps and shit with the 10,000 gp material costs?
>>
So with the Mystic will I be able to play as a Newtype from UC Gundam?
>telepathy from mass distances
>grokking
>enhanced anticipation
>various factors leading to improved combat ability
>>
>>52218976
The fuck is Swashbuckler so popular? How is Swashbuckler good? Did I miss something?
>>
>>52226612
No, all new types inevitably end up dead or their minds shattered. This is not, RAW, a mechanic for mystics.
>>
>>52225555
align your grids you animal
>>
>>52226874
I want to know why Assassin is so low. Probably because of opposite values: reliant on the party setting up an ambush vs "It just works"
>>
File: 1489633377838.png (126KB, 309x313px) Image search: [Google]
1489633377838.png
126KB, 309x313px
>living in Poland
>still playing 4e because half of my group doesn't speak english
>check if the usual publisher in country had any announcements
>learn that CDProject bought the publishing rights to 5e
>AND DECIDED NOT TO PUBLISH IT AT ALL
jesus christ what a bunch of cunts
>>
now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that mystic is insert your opinion here
>>
What class do you think is the most fun and why is it moon druid
>>
>>52226959
Fun
>>
>>52226998
Eldritch Knight though. Blinking, no disarm, and bonus action cantrips are great when your DM doesn't know how to deal with you porting 30ft every turn.
>>
>>52226874
Swashbuckler is popular because:

>Frees up bonus action for dual wielding or dashing
>Works well for multiclassing with any Cha based caster (specifically dragon sorcerrer with SCAG cantrips)
>Being a taunting dickbag who can sneak attack any time he wants
>>
>>52226874
Swashbuckler basically guarantees that every attack will be receive the sneak attack bonus
>>
>>52226874
More maneuverability with less consequence, you basically always go first in initiative, and you get near constant sneak attack bonuses.
>>
>>52225704
Half of the continent in my campaign setting is filled with the fuckers. It's utterly ruined the local environment, to the point that you can find a blizzard in the middle of a sandy, sunny desert.

More relevantly to the actual plot of the campaign, though, one of the high-ranking members of government in a human nation is secretly a dragon, and there's a secret society of dragons who became captains of industry during a recent industrial revolution because capitalism is a very good way to amass hoards of wealth. One of them is going to get murdered at a house party, though (a party which the PCs will get an invite to).
>>
>>52226959
flavorfully interesting
>>
>>52225704
I like having all kinds of big playas in my campaigns, from liches and dragons to demons and devils. Of course they'll be there.
>>
>>52226959
I like mystic and I hope WotC brings the other classes up to their level rather than lower mystic.
>>
>>52227305
I wouldn't call fixing some of the blatantly overpowered stuff in Mystic "lowering" it, but they definitely shouldn't over-correct.
>>
For warlock, do you automatically get your otherworldly patron features, or do you have to choose them and have them count against your spells known?

If so, that's pretty dumb. GOO patrons get the worst features except Create Thrall.
>>
File: FLCLHaruko.jpg (491KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
FLCLHaruko.jpg
491KB, 1600x1200px
>>52225555
>Letting PCs see any health bars but their own
Fucking degenerates.
>>
>>52227353
>do you automatically get your otherworldly patron features
Of course.

>GOO patrons get the worst features
Telepathy is GOAT
>>
>>52227194
(((Dragons)))?
>>
>>52227386
>Of course

Anywhere in the book I can point this out to my DM? We're all new-ish to dnd and he thinks I have to choose between them and getting actual spells.
>>
>>52227383
>implying the munchkin at the table hasn't already figured out the HP and AC of a creature
>implying he's not tracking the damage of everything and calculating which enemy is closest to death
>implying PCs can't look at creatures who've received numerous wounds and pick out which one of them is most likely to drop dead from the next hit
>>
>>52227352
Other than 31 AC, what's blatantly OP about it?
>>
>>52227383
Why is this bad? Your characters can see how much something is hurt in game by how its acting and how many wounds it has. You could figure out roughly how hurt something is by a GMs description of it, why is showing a health bar which doesn't even show how much raw HP something has bad?
>>
>>52227404
Why don't you point him to the Barbarian entry, a class that doesn't learn any fucking spells, and ask him what it's supposed to be giving up in exchange for its features.

Ask him how the features, which are not spells, could possibly take up spell slots.

Ask him if Eldritch Knights, who get "the ability to cast spells" as a feature, have to immediately give up one of the three spells they learn in order to actually learn spells, and since "learning spells" isn't abjuration or evocation, it's necessarily their free school choice spell.

Or direct his dumb ass to the next thread where we will all gleefully correct him. Hell, just print this post out for him.
>>
>>52227406
There are several disciplines which are clearly undercosted, like shadow beasts and occluded mind.
>>
File: spon.png (390KB, 617x501px) Image search: [Google]
spon.png
390KB, 617x501px
>>52227422
>why is this bad

because anon's mind erupts if someone mentions something that looks like those gosh darn vidya gaems that ruined his hobby
>>
>>52227405
>>52227422

I mean, I'll tell them the most wounded-looking one if they ask, but giving a PC the strange ability to see fucking health bars above everyone in sight is just bizarre and terrible.
>>
>>52227406
Some powers are clearly overtuned.

Inertial Armor is meant to be a Mage Armor analogue. Instead of 13+Dex AC, it's 14+Dex AC and Force resistance. It costs no more PP than any other power that is clearly an analogue for a first circle spell.

The class is swimming in d10 damage die targeting low saves across the board. Not only that, but they tend to have a number of die that is beyond what other classes are capable of. They can not only "Smite" harder than Paladins, but they can do it much more often.

I'm aware that this is mitigated by their only ever having one attack (unless they pay PP out the ass for a second swing), but shit like Animate Weapon + Lethal Strike (+ Knock Back) is entirely not necessary to make the class good, and WILL get it banned from tables.
>>
>>52227431
Also, the lack of a limit on disciplines per turn, which leads to the insane nova combos we've seen.
>>
>>52227472
There shouldn't be a limit on disciplines per turn. If you want to blow PP on your action, bonus action, reaction, and movement (there's a few of those), go nuts.

There shouldn't be means of stacking two or three of those together for absurd damage, though.
>>
>>52227465
>the most wounded-looking one if they ask
>the one is limping and breathing hard from his wounds
>the rest are indeterminable vaguely humanoid blobs from which you can garner no information what-so-ever
>>
>>52227386
RAI says Awakened Mind is 1-way and my DM rules it that way.
>>
>>52227483
I'm just comparing it to other casters, who can only cast one spell per round. If they want the multicasting as part of the mechanics then they need to limit stacking, or make the psi limit per turn.
>>
>>52227465
The PCs don't see floating health bars, they see the physical signs of (and recall the intensity of) damage done to the enemies throughout combat. The HP bar is an abstraction (despite being 100% accurate) that speeds the game along by getting rid of "which one is the weakest" and "is that guy hurt" and "is that the one i crit earlier" and "no, it's bandit c who looks like he's on his last leg".

It is superior player feedback. The characters would realistically know who's dying. The player does not necessarily, and asking the DM about that shit constantly takes everyone out of the game. Your badass Fighter is just wailing on fresh enemies every round because the player is lazy and not keeping track of enemies moving around or who's targetting what, which makes the Fighter look like a complete fucking dumbass in-universe.

There's nothing wrong with HP bars.
>>
>>52227534
New thread.
>>52227436
>>
>>52227533
Blowing a wad of PP to grow claws, do a backflip, and slice someone open is cool shit. It shouldn't necessarily be more powerful than fireballing a group. The solution is not to ban backflipping and claw-growing in tandem, but to ensure that backflipping (which adds damage) and claw-growing (which adds damage) and face-slicing (which adds damage) aren't all combining into some huge number that makes every other class feel inadequate four times per day.

With respect to Animate Weapon + Lethal Strike, you could easily say that both are empowering an item with psionic energy, and impose a limit on how much psi items can hold (equal to your own psi limit). So if you have a psi limit of 5, you could dump all 5 into Animate Weapon, but no more for Lethal Strike. You could put more psi into Knock Back, though, because it's an improvement of you, the Mystic. This stops 10d10 damage at unsuitably low levels.
>>
File: 1430680565962.jpg (374KB, 1280x900px) Image search: [Google]
1430680565962.jpg
374KB, 1280x900px
>>52227470
If they couldn't stack up their single target melee nova there'd be no reason to do it other than more efficient AoE spells that do more damage per round too if you hit 1.6 targets on average.

For example 10d10 AoE for 7 points = 7.85 damage per point, 55 damage total
14d10+1d6+3+5 (Animate+Lethal+d6 simple weapon+The +3 weapon conc.+Int) for 14 points = 6.32 damage per point, 88.5 damage total

Remove 7d10 and you get:
7d10+1d6+3+5 for 7 points = 7.14 per point, 50 damage total
>>
>>52226874
Swashbuckler is just 'Rogue: Easy mode'.

That's why people like it. It's melee rogue (Which everyone wants to play even though it's usually worse) except made easy, rather than having to faff about understanding AT and then taking the mobile feat and all of that.

Also the flavour is great and the fact it uses another stat (Charisma) is kind of interesting, even if it barely uses it.
>>
>>52226874
Just makes the rogue more consistent in combat. You give up some out of combat perks from thief and the damage burst of assassin for more manueverability, two handed fighting, and more reliable sneak attacks
>>
>>52227485
>The rest have no obvious wounds and look ready for battle
Which is still better then players not even asking because they can see that the first one has 45% health and the others have 100%.

>>52227534
>The player does not necessarily, and asking the DM about that shit constantly takes everyone out of the game.
If descriptions of wounds take you out of the game then you are a roll player not a role player. Which is fine, your wrongfun is not actually affecting me. But I still disagree with how think the game should be played and would not enable you in this if you were at my table.

>Your badass Fighter is just wailing on fresh enemies every round because the player is lazy and not keeping track of enemies moving around or who's targetting what, which makes the Fighter look like a complete fucking dumbass in-universe.
As it should be. A sloppy player making sloppy plays should translate into a PC doing random shit like they were distracted by something.
>>
>>52222154
but arcane trickster sucks
>>
>Every time I try to write a backstory for my paladin it ends up being a rehash of seven samurai
help I can't think of anything to do
>>
>>52227877
What game system are you playing again?
>>
>>52227970
Oath?
>>
>>52227970
gimme some bulletpoints
>>
>>52227877
>>52227877
These are the arcane tricks I know of: Find Familiar allows you to always have an ally for Sneak Attack. Haste allows you to consistently get two Sneak Attacks per round. Invisibility for sneaking and Greater Invisibility for sneaky stabby.
>>
>>52228362
Vengeance, everything I came up with involved some form of a mage's failed experiment started turning a number of citizens into some ghoul-like monsters and the paladins agreed to protect whoever's left alive and put down the threat"
>>
>>52228569
So what else do you want? You love Paladins, you hate Mages. Just focus on that. Focusing doesn't mean putting on your religion fedora, and calling old men with pointed hats faggots on the street. It means coming up with arguments, and rationale for your position, and being able to believe in it.
>>
>>52228569
This might not fit your character as well but Oath of the Ancients has several abilities which specifically counter mages.
>>
>>52226936
Maybe they're still translating? Would it need a translation there?
Or maybe they're planning on making a game using the ruleset and buying publishing rights was... part of what they had to do to make the game or something?
>>
>>52226959
I thought 28 pages was way overdone for a class until somebody pointed out that the disciplines and talents and all that are basically a spell list, then it made sense.
Constructing your character in that way is basically how I'd like to see sorcerers work, more so than lore wizard changing damage types. It's definitely beyond the accessible classes and game play that 5e was originally sold om, but I wouldn't mind seeing it in a later book.
>>
>>52229282
from what they released as a public statement they decided they won't be publishing 5e because the licensing agreement with WotC requires them to promote the game by organizing game events. They don't want to bother with that so they won't be publishing. This info can only be found now through waybackmachine and such since CDPR removed from their sites each and every mention they are holding the rights. And translating would not take this long since ISA had them done as soon as they had the rights.

From what I learned so far CDPR decided to buy the rights in the first place only to fuck over the previous publisher, ISA, and create a void in the polish market since the word is that around that time they were hoping to publish an original tabletop witcher based system (there was one before the witcher games and it failed miserably).
>>
Are there any good ideas for wildshape-less druids?

I really like the elemental spells they have access to but wildshape will not fit the character concept at all.

Any suggestions?
>>
File: misato_by_kr0npr1nz-d8wptqw.jpg (219KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
misato_by_kr0npr1nz-d8wptqw.jpg
219KB, 894x894px
Guys, i've been playing 3.5 for ages and i had to be dragged into it from 2nd edition.

I know absolutely nothing about 4th and 5th edition, and i was quite happy about it until i found out several of my groups are considering switching to it.

Break it down for me fa/tg/uys, what the hell is 5th edition? Other than just shit(a fair assumption, i assume).

pic unrelated
>>
>>52230515
5e is the best edition of D&D. It's pretty good by all accounts.
>>
>>52230515
5e is pretty good actually if you've got a competent DM.
Combat is kind of lack luster but can be fun if your DM doesn't suck.

Character creation is easy, lots of good combinations with very few trap options.
>>
>>52230531
Tell me more, i need the why and how. I looked at it and it seemed so foreign to what i know and love.

>>52230556
I'm surprised to hear it, though i am in the 5th edition thread.
I was told that the combat was sort of MMORPG-adjacent, and that the style seemed a bit more like it too.
>>
>>52230515
From what I've heard from grognards it's more like 2e than 3.5 and it's ilk are, so you should get along just fine with it.
>>
>>52230586
>I was told that the combat was sort of MMORPG-adjacent, and that the style seemed a bit more like it too.

That is usually said about 4th edition, though I can't confirm myself. 5th edition doesn't really give me an MMO vibe though.
>>
>>52230586
Nah, 5e doesn't use tab targeting.
>>
>>52230600
>>52230633
Honestly you are telling me the opposite of what i expected. Maybe i should just stop being a sour cunt and pick up the books.
>>52230648
>he uses tab targeting
>he doesn't have autismally elaborate binds for targeting
ishiggydiggy doo da
>>
>>52230676
Books are free in the mega bro, peruse them to your satisfaction
>>
>>52230586
>I was told that the combat was sort of MMORPG-adjacent, and that the style seemed a bit more like it too.
That's a common complaint about 4e, although I guess it's still vaguely true about 5e relative to 3.5

It's based on the parts of 3.5's combat that actually worked while trying to fix class balance and martial vs. full caster superiority. It mostly succeeds, even the worst builds are still miles better then Monk and Fighter were in vanilla 3.5.
>>
>>52230676
Yeah, just read the books. It's really straight forward, which is why I think it's so popular. Easy to get people into it.

If you're the type who likes rules for every single thing, then it won't be to your liking probably.
>>
File: 1483104473117.jpg (384KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
1483104473117.jpg
384KB, 636x900px
>>52230728
>>52230729
>>52230731
thx4info

I think i may just be a little stuck on what i know, but i had no idea that it was free. I realize 3.5 has problems too, i'm just so used to dealing with them in a seamless fashion. As well as dumbing it down for new players.

I'll give it a try, i really didn't expect this much positivity surrounding the new books. Maybe a fresh start on a new edition go good with the setting i'm working on.

Here's to trying new things, have a misato for your troubles.
>>
>>52230802
The books aren't technically free, Wizards doesn't create pdfs of their books but the rules are free online. Note they don't contain everything.

I hear 5e is a good system though.
>>
>>52230880
Yeah it's pretty good.
Thread posts: 366
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.