[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 36

File: 1473927172008.jpg (449KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473927172008.jpg
449KB, 900x600px
Remember when this was what you complained about instead of kickstarter? - Edition

Last thread
>>52159600

>Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Been so busy at work I forgot it was GAMA week, what publisher caught your eye so far this week?

Local cons should be starting up by the end of the month, any plans to attend one/more this year?

Something something, gotta have 3 questions, favorite non-standard dice in a game?
>>
File: DSCF2861.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2861.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>that feel when you can only play 1.5x/year because getting 6-7-8 players is nigh impossible because of gf,job,kids,etc.

Feels bad man.
>>
>>52216788
How about what's the worst board game related present you've ever received?

My mother got me Game of Thrones monopoly for Christmas. She meant well, but man I eBay'd that sucker immediately.
>>
File: pic16838_lg.jpg (124KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
pic16838_lg.jpg
124KB, 1024x600px
>>52217126
>How about what's the worst board game related present you've ever received?
That's actually a good one, have to remember it next time I'm brain dead and don't have a topic starter for new thread. No one really buys me games without asking specifically what to grab, or checking an amazon list anymore, but my brother and I got a copy of pic related when we were kids because they figured we played Stratego a lot so we'd like it. Not really a great game for kids under the age of 10 who'd never played real games.
>>
>>52217126
desu betrayal and the expansion
like i enjoy the game but if im gonna play a semi co-op/co-op I'll bust out ghost stories or something
>>
>>52214753
I'm actually tempted to turn Scythe into a hidden orders game, with everyone choosing their turns action together, which are the played out in turn order. I think it could add a great element to a sometimes sluggish game.

Also general question for the thread, I need more quick easy games like code names. Does anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>52217763
Hanabi, Tsuro, Blokus, Zombie Dice, Mars Attacks the dice game, and Onitama are a few I like or my friends have enjoyed. Some warnings though: Onitamta is a two player game and Blokus has a two or four player version. Both versions of Blokus work well but if you get the four player version, it's horribly unbalanced if you only have three players. It forces you to have four people playing (it also supports two players)

In other news...anon who was talking about Epic last thread, you convinced me to try it out. I just ordered the starter pack
>>
>>52217889
>horribly unbalanced if you only have three
This is why we have Gemblo (which is 2-6 but unbalanced at 5) or Blokus Trigon (but that's not great at 2)
>>
>>52218022
I had never heard of Gemblo, that's really interesting. I also completely forgot about Blokus Trigon, I've seen it once or twice but never got it. Thanks
>>
>>52217082
I just want to know why there's a catapult AND a German Tiger Tank on that TI3 board...
>>
>>52217082
That's why you don't play with 6+.
And because it makes the game take way longer.
And because at 6+ there are other people on the board that you'll have very little interaction with.
>>
Are the mini-expansions worth it/needed for Millennium Blades?
>>
>>52217763
>hidden orders
I dig it, though you'd need a priority system for resolving actions I bet, since predicting other people's moves wrongly could be disastrous. I wonder if you can ask Steigmaier's input on it too since he would have the data from playtesting to figure out which action should resolve before the other.
>>
Assauslt on Doomrock.
Any opinions?
>>
File: Promo Pack 3 characters.png (819KB, 506x715px) Image search: [Google]
Promo Pack 3 characters.png
819KB, 506x715px
>>52218374

1) Adds 9 Promo Packs (3 Bronze, 4 Silver, 2 Gold) based on past Level 99 games.
2) Adds 7 Promo Packs (2 Bronze, 3 Silver, 2 Gold) and 6 core deck cards based on games from other publishers.
3) Adds 2 new characters, Pro player cards for them, 2 promo packs (Bronze and Silver [Note that all of the cards in the these promo packs are accessories]) and 12 deck boxes for the core deck.
4) Adds 4 Master level sets themed around the boss characters in Set Rotation, and 6 accessories for the core deck.
5) Adds 9 Promo Packs (3 each of Bronze, Silver, and Gold) based on future Level 99 games.

I would absolutely suggest getting Pack #3 for Rarriti and Shaffile, but the others are kinda hit or miss. The base game + Set Rotation already have more than enough Promo Packs to last a while in my opinion. The boss decks are good if you really want different Master Sets.

You should probably get 3 and 4, and then just one out of 1 2 or 5. If you like whats in the promo packs or just want a LOT of variety, then get the other two later, but that should hold you for a while.
>>
Someone mentioned dungeon degenerates in the last thread and looking it up got me a bit excited. All in all i decided it wasnt worth a purchase for me, but im looking for something to get that itch now. Basically something beautiful, something very artst but in the same vein as dungeon degenerates. A good example would be epic wizard battle at skull mountain (or whatever the funk its called), except hopefully something a bit better gameplay wise. What comes to mind in terms of art style is something like super jail, a bit adult with a lot of detail and color and a lot generally going on within a given frame.

Suggestions?
>>
>>52218213
Doesnt wonder about the pink penis straw in the middle of everything
>>
are there any good commerce based strategy games, similar to the era of gold in rivals for catan?
>>
>>52219864
Cheers
Thanks for the help.
>>
Any suggestions for a minisized boardgame with 4x elements? Ive been thinking about either Tiny Epic Galaxies with the expansion or Small Space Empires
>>
>>52220351
pocket imperium does that and its really easy to teach
>>
>>52219918
PPPPFFFFTTT!!! People get dicked over in that game all the time.
>>
>>52214104
you do know you could play kingdom death during the kickstarter right?

plenty of people tried it out on table top sim.
>>
>>52219864
is millennium blades available in Europe?
>>
I'm picking up Empires at Sea! I'll let you guys know how it tumbles out, first game and all that razzmatazz. It doesn't look too simple or too complex so I'm sort of worried about getting it but what the hell.
>>
Got to try a few classics I'd never played before recently, what is the best version of Tsuro? I think it'd be a good game for me and my gf.
>>
File: inis-870x435.jpg (134KB, 870x435px) Image search: [Google]
inis-870x435.jpg
134KB, 870x435px
Red pill me on Inis, did it live up to the hype, or was it just good publicity and art that pulled people in?

I was contemplating buying the game, especially since I love Kemet.
>>
>>52223060
It's a lot less aggressive than Kemet, combat is very expensive to most participants, and the drafting mechanic really does drive the game, similarly to blood Rage. But I like it a lot more than blood Rage, the win conditions and their resolution is enormously more satisfying than BR's point salad, makes the game feel much more like a tactical puzzle.
>>
>>52222952
My vote is for the original. I have that one and even though it's incredibly basic I still enjoy it and it's one of the most visually appealing games I own. I've never played the second one (Tsuro of the sea or whatever it's called) but I remember quite some time ago there were people in this thread who said they didn't really care for the second one.
>>
>>52223133
>tactical puzzle.
This, and tug of war, are the best two descriptors I could give to it. You might be 5/6 on a couple different win conditions, but the minute you get them to be 6/6 you lose somewhere else in the round and are right back to 5s while the other players at the table are doing the exact same thing.
>>
File: 65756.jpg (113KB, 613x508px) Image search: [Google]
65756.jpg
113KB, 613x508px
>Inis
>Mare Nostrum: Empires
>Rising Sun
>Scythe

Which one to get, /tg/? Which one to get...

I like area control, combat, tactical planning, maybe some politics, some randomness, different player powers would also be cool, perhaps some resource management but that's not a must... stuff like that. Which one would you recommend?
>>
>>52224095
No one's played Rising Sun, but operating from the assumption that it's mostly a slightly more interesting blood rage with more politics, I'd go with Mare Nostrum, But it also has the weakest art of those if that's a problem for you.
>>
>>52224095
>>52224125

I keep waiting for CSI to get the expansion for Mare Nostrum in stock so my 'completeness compulsion' will stop bugging me... ;) I also can't decide if I want to introduce Mare Nostrum or Archipelago to my gaming group first.
>>
>>52224178
Archipelago sounds really cool. How do you like it? What's the gameplay like? Playing time says it's up to 240 minutes. Is is that big and epic? Do you feel engaged in that time or is there a lot of down time? Because if you are engaged I don't mind playing 4 hours but if not it's hell.
Is it more about exploring or resources or fighting?
>>
File: Twilight Struggle.jpg (129KB, 1000x713px) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Struggle.jpg
129KB, 1000x713px
My Old man's favourite movie of all time is Dr.Strangelove.So I hope to spend some quality time with my dad this weekend playing Twilight Struggle.

Also; Other games that grumpy old men can play that's not Monopoly?
>>
Thinking about pulling the trigger on Cry Havoc, but never played it before. Is it worth $38?
>>
>>52225458
Pretty good price. It's not popular around here because of the massive overhype around release but it's a decent game if you can get it cheap.
>>
>>52225458
I really like it. Great if you enjoy aggressive games with asymmetric player factions. Just be wary it can seem unbalanced at first if you play your faction inefficiently.
>>
File: co-related games2a.png (3MB, 800x1876px) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2a.png
3MB, 800x1876px
>>
>>52225261
How complex can he go? Is he into chess or does he like more theme? More than 2 players?

Splendor is a simple but deep set collecting engine builder.
Onitama is a light chesslike with nice strategic depth.
I can not understate my love for Targi. A most excellent worker placement 2p euro.
Jaipur is another light 2p set collector, very pretty and fun.
Deckbuilders are good, he may like Dominion.
>>
>>52224095
Another Vote for Mare Nostrum.
>>
Hi,
Just purchased Saboteur Duel 'cuz I'm not sure I'll be able to play the original game at all. Should be fun.
>>
>>52219918
Check your eyes anon. That's a pink penis pencil
>>
>>52227370
I bow to your superior pink penis paraphernalia expertise.
>>
File: IMG_1764.jpg (90KB, 396x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1764.jpg
90KB, 396x384px
>>52216788
Jaipur: great 2 player game or the greatest 2 player game?
>>
>>52217082
There's a really good mod for it on Tabletop Simulator if you don't mind the Shattered Ascension fanmade variant.
>>
>>52227664
Seconded.
The stamina that those guys have for multiple online games a week is incredible.
>>
>>52224266
>Archipelago sounds really cool. How do you like it?

I really like it - it ticks a lot of my check boxes when it comes to longer board games including:

Exploration
Resource exploitation
Hidden Information (resources)
Variable hidden end-game goals
Negotiation / Betrayal
Player vs Player AND Player vs Game (rebelling natives cause everyone to lose - exception being a possible 'separatist' who if present that game is the only winner under those conditions.)

>What's the gameplay like? Playing time says it's up to 240 minutes.

It actually has 3 different objective sets - the easier objectives play out in more like an hour and 1/2 to 2 hours. The medium and hard objectives increase game time. So, players can choose between a longer or shorter game. (I'd recommend starting with the shorter game objectives to get the hang of game play.)

>Do you feel engaged in that time or is there a lot of down time?

It will depend on your players. If they're experienced with board games with a bit of complexity, then they will not likely have a problem with this one. The other issue with games that offer a lot of options is the player issue of 'analysis paralysis' - but that's a player issue and not a design flaw. That said, with this board game, you really *WANT* to pay attention to other player's turns. You want to figure out their hidden objectives (so you can either make more victory points for yourself off of their actions - or slow them down, like flooding the market with a particular good to lower the value of their resources that turn).

>Is it more about exploring or resources or fighting?

It is all about exploring the Archipelago to find resources and gain advantage. You keep your current resource levels and wealth hidden from other players. After that it's about building an economic engine, deal making, and deception to achieve your victory points.
>>
>>52227518
There's so many good 2p out there I'm not sure it's even in my top 5.
>>
>>52220609
My point was more the pricepoint anon so thanks for just ignoring that
>>
So is the Dark Souls game actually getting released or what?

The rules actually look quite fun. I like the Dancer but everyone seems to be complaining about it. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>52228757
Cool. Thanks for your response. I'll look more into it. :)
>>
File: WarriorKnightsBackBox.jpg (111KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
WarriorKnightsBackBox.jpg
111KB, 500x500px
2006 FFG remake of Warrior Knights or no? This is for a group that loves Twilight Imperium and other such strategy games. We typically dislike random combat though, or super easy to solve games.
>>
>>52225568
>>52225646
Thanks a lot. Can you tell me more about the unbalanced issues? I only play board games with my gf so I wanna make that first play enjoyable.
>>
>>52224095
Mare Nostrum.

Man, that games creates a fun environment of interconnected mechanics and win cons
>>
>>52230224
I know - I just wish the expansion would come out soon. Anyone tried the extra creature cards from Board Game Geek with M.N.?
>>
How did you guys find your groups?
There's a game night at a pretty good LGS near me and I'm thinking about going one night.
>>
>>52228941
This.
I got Jaipur after all the buzz I'd heard and after playing it a couple times I felt like maybe I had missed something, and maybe after a few more games It'd suddenly click and I'd be flabbergasted at its greatness.
A couple plays after that, I realized there will be no such epiphany and I won't be losing any sleep over it, because the game is OK. Mind not blown.
>>
>>52231139
Oh don't get me wrong I do think it's a wonderful game, but there's a serious glut of good 2p games. TS could be the greatest 2p ever (and mechanics + theme it prolly is) but it just doesn't do it for me like say LotR: The Confrontation.
>>
>>52225458
Cry Havoc has been reviewed into the ground. I would say the best one is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76npXYE6FE

Accurately described as "choking". The number of actions in a given game is just over a dozen, which is abysmal given how the game wants to be. The oh-so-innovative combat system just isn't, since it rarely results in the kind of cleverness that was intended. Basically, you don't do a lot in this game and it's just a Kickstarter plastic pusher as usual.
>>
>>52231519
>it's just a Kickstarter plastic pusher as usual
It's not a KS game.
>>
File: NewTSmap7.jpg (1MB, 2580x1680px) Image search: [Google]
NewTSmap7.jpg
1MB, 2580x1680px
>>52231212
I absolutely hate the Cold War theme of Twilight Struggle, in fact I generally tend to hate any realistic historical war themes as of the gunpowder age (and immediately fall asleep when I look at them).

That having been said, I don't want to miss out. Is TS a game that can supercede its own theme? This is coming from someone who really loves the mechanics of Tide of Iron but falls asleep every time it gets set up.
>>
>>52231540
That's meant to be descriptive not proscriptive. "A KS plastic pusher" is just an expression for any overly produced toyfest with no substance.
>>
I would so back GKR if the combat wasn't actually shit
>>
>>52231561
>Is TS a game that can supercede its own theme?
Yes, but the theme informs the mechanics.
>>
>>52231603
Can you describe the ways in which the gameplay would warrant getting the game even if someone were to have a copy that's just, say, plain text cards and a white map with black boxes for locations? Because that's my best case scenario for my brain, with the worst case actively sabotaging my fun.
>>
>>52231638
>historical theme triggers you this much
just play a different game
>>
>>52231650
Don't be such a faggot. Some people just don't jive with certain things, man. I'm making an effort to branch out.

On this note, why is it historicalfags that get the most uppity when someone finds the theme boring? In every thread, if someone says they find a historical theme boring or even implies it, someone replies with buttmad like this.
>>
>>52231697
Because you're retarded and being all "this thematic game would be great if it wasn't' for the theme"
>>
>>52231697
I'm not buttmad at all you spacker, I've played TS 1 time and it was "ok". Didn't blow me away, but I'd play it again.

We live in the golden age of board games at the moment, if you have to reprint a game as a connection of points connected by lines arbitrarily changing numbers based on cards that have no flavour at all maybe you should just play one of the many other great games that exist.

A huge part of twilight struggle is the idea of sudden nuclear suicide and the background of the cold war, most of the game is played at defcon 2, and playing it without any of that context is likely to leave the game hollow, no matter how good the mechanics. You would inevitably find it passable but bland, because the mechanics work without the theme but will feel completely arbitrary.

PS. hating all games with historical themes from "the gunpowder age" as a blanket statement is kinda retarded.
>>
File: pic793220.jpg (692KB, 1500x1131px) Image search: [Google]
pic793220.jpg
692KB, 1500x1131px
>>52231735
How long do you plan to continue this line of unproductive horse shittery? Absolutely nowhere did I say that about TS. I asked the question as to whether the game can transcend its theme with its mechanics. It's called trying something new.

>>52231781
>maybe you should just play one of the many other great games that exist.
I've already played a hundred great games now. I've just had this on my wishlist for 2 years now and want to get cracking at finding out whether it's a worthwhile purchase. I've already burned $100 on Tide of Iron, having been lured in by the cool as fuck gameplay.

>PS. hating all games with historical themes from "the gunpowder age" as a blanket statement is kinda retarded.
It's not exactly my fault. Call me retarded or a spaz all you want. I have no idea why that theme kills everything for me but say, 13th century knight warfare from Cry Havoc (1981) doesn't. They're both pretty drab, so this isn't an argument or based on logic. It's just a taste.

In spite of yourself, you gave me the exact information I need regarding a purchase. At $40, I'm going to wait and play it on TTS before taking the risk that I hate it in spite of supposed brilliance. I only even wanted to try it because I saw several people who have no interest in war themes love the game.
>>
>>52231871
>At $40, I'm going to wait and play it on TTS before taking the risk that I hate it in spite of supposed brilliance.
It's a steam game, just pirate it.
>>
>>52231871
>In spite of yourself, you gave me the exact information I need regarding a purchase.
Happy to help.

TS isn't exactly a war game, not really.
>>
>>52230938
Do it. The closest LGS to me is an hour away, I'd kill for one closer
>>
>>52226734
Did two rounds of TS, first for testing then a full round. I think TS is as far he can go into strategy/dept, however he did really enjoy it (mostly because of the theme) and said he would love to play more.

I'll have a look at those games you listed senpai
>>
File: conflict.jpg (650KB, 984x847px) Image search: [Google]
conflict.jpg
650KB, 984x847px
Lookin for some good conflict-based games. Of these, which 5 would you recommend?
>>
>>52232749
>5
I don't think that number means what you think it means

Anyway my vote is for Falling Sky
>>
>>52232815
Well it's between 4 and 6, right?
>>
>>52230938
OKcupid, oddly. It's hard finding random lesbians in the midwest so I got a date there and turns out she was a foreverGM. 10/10 was fun to play Dominion with and had like 8 people who intermittently gamed.

Otherwise my gf and I just play 2-player games together.

Speaking of which, anyone got some amazing 2-player games to recommend? We have Patchwork, Star Realms, Aeon's End, Castles of Burgundy, Core Worlds, Dice City, Hero Realms, and Dice Masters as all our games that work well for 2P. The rest of what we own is anywhere from 4 to 8.
>>
>>52232749
For some reason, I thought that was a list you were making of what you thought was overhyped garbage until I saw Kemet and knew it couldn't be.

For Kemet is god.

Seriously, get Kemet. And the expansion.
>>
>>52232749
Exodus is the opposite of a conflict game. The entire game is either killing AI ships, using a tech board, or voting in the senate.

TI3 is far more conflict-based if you map it correctly with only 2 rings and have up to 4 players.

In fact, most of what you listed barring Kemet is conflict-light.
>>
>>52228757
>Archipelago
>mahnigga.png
Love that game, just got the solo play expansion and might get a chance to try it out tomorrow.
>>
>>52233588
>Archipelago
>Dominant Species
>Falling Sky
>Mare Nostrum
>Robinson Crusoe

Overhyped garbage?
>>
>>52233639
Please, my wallet can't take this.
>>
File: Terra-Mystica.jpg (347KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Terra-Mystica.jpg
347KB, 1024x683px
What is the ultimate economics game? I'm an econ major and constantly see euro games that have economic engine-building in them but I was wondering if there were any that were so either accurate or robust they could be used as a teaching aid?
>>
>>52233572
For a minute there I thought you were an old tripfag posting without your name, then I saw the games you play and knew I was mistaken.

Jaipur is worth a look, Valley of the Kings is a quick deck builder that works well at 2, and Netrunner is great if you can grok it.
>>
>>52233735
We hated Netrunner but I'll look into Valley of the Kings and Jaipur. I hear about Jaipur as a great 2 player game a lot.
>>
>>52233735
We're definitely getting Valley of the Kings. Any other good Egyptian themed games? We have Kemet already.
>>
>>52234103
I've heard some people here say they like Imhotep, but I've never played. Which Valley of the Kings are you thinking of? I own all 3 so I can answer any questions you have to the differences between them.
>>
>>52234124
Oh I thought they were expansions. Well I guess my first question would be what's the difference? Followed by can they be combined?

Do you know any other bang-for-buck games like this? I go absolutely head over heels for little games with a lot of play, as evidenced by Star Realms.
>>
File: pic332933.jpg (55KB, 500x416px) Image search: [Google]
pic332933.jpg
55KB, 500x416px
>>52233695

I heard Container is very realistic. It's near impossible to find for a reasonable prize but it's getting a reprint sometime this year and it's not too hard to print and play.

Genoa and Chinatown are also some good examples of pure trading and negotiation.
>>
>>52233815
There's prolly like 15+ in the KOSMOS 2p line that's worth looking at, top picks from it would be LotR Confrontation (but get the FFG deluxe if you can), Thunder and Lightning reprint by Z-Man, Targi, Odin's Ravens reprint, Lost Cities, Pinata (v2 of Balloon Cup). Pagoda from AEG is also nice, Memoir '44 for playing with lil green army men, 1st & Goal if you're into football, any of the GIPF series (YINSH is my favorite but the upcoming LYNGK looks really good) X-wing if you're a star wars nerd, Neuroshima Hex. Summoner Wars or Mage Wars (Academy) if that's your thing.

>>52234124
>Imhotep
It's good, recommended. Also Ra is very good, Khet if you want Stargate style egyptians
>>
>>52234162
>near impossible to find
Check the re-launched Boards and Bits, there's a post about them on BGG's discussing retailers and I'm pretty sure I saw someone mention it.
>>
>>52234162
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>52234164
Ra is too bidding heavy for our group. Auctions tend to be boring here. I'll check out Imhotep though.
>>
>>52234217
>Auctions tend to be boring here
I get that, only one that seems to work for me no matter what is For Sale, and I think it's just the Seussical artwork of the Iello edition that does it.
>>
>>52234156
They all share the same rules, all that differs is the cards in each set.

Base set is the most antagonistic, it has more "directly annoy your opponent" cards than the other two. Afterlife is the one I generally recommend people get first, it has the most synergy and combo's to discover. Last Rites introduces a new starter deck for everyone, and has the most interesting mechanics out of the 3.

You can combine any of the sets from all 3 games however you wish, there are some recommended combo's in the Last Rites rulebook which was available for free on the publishers website. One day I plan to just play a super game with all the cards, apparently it's quite fun.

Other small games that I personally like are Sushi-Go/Fairy Tale for a drafting game, Coup/Love Letter for a simple card/social game, and Welcome to the Dungeon which is a push-your-luck game.
>>
>>52234383
I think I'll get Last Rights and Afterlife. Being annoyed sucks. Thanks, anon
>>
>>52234674
Those kind of cards exist in the other sets too, there's just not as many and their effects are less damaging. But with two sets you could probably remove all the cards you didn't like and still have plenty left over.

Glad I could help, hope your group likes it as much as mine.
>>
>>52234850
Let me put it this way: we hate Dominion Dark Ages and love Dominion Seaside.
>>
>>52220616
Should be very soon. It's hitting retail in Australia in like 2 weeks
>>
>>52219864
>Was excited for the friendship card focused character in Set Rotation
>Her ability to use friendship cards in her deck is just a 6 star card clash for 35 points that won't win the clash past the first tournament without luck
>Basically all her forced friendship trade lets you do is get you 7 victory points, while giving other players victory points as well so it's more like a net gain of 4.
>>
>>52217082
Just bought the base game. Any tips for playing with all TI3 virgins?
>>
Does anyone have any house rules for TI3, unique set ups or card choices that make it a better game?

I feel like the action card deck is too big, politics is always ignored, and combat is rarely ever worth it until the end, causing long, clunky and boring fights of throwing a million dice

Please suggest some good:
Rules to use
Variants?
Map set ups for 4 ppl
And ways to make action cards And politics more interesting.

Otherwise, is there anything I can do to make dice less of a factor? Dice for combat is rarely ever rewarding or engaging. I don't want combat to be deterministic, but I also don't want to throw 800 dice every fight.

I have all the expansions but I've never played with all the rules. Usually just flagships and the unique tiles.
>>
>>52233572
> Speaking of which, anyone got some amazing 2-player games to recommend?
Race for the Galaxy.

Also Splendor, but that isn't "amazing", merely very good.
>>
>>52235212
We played Splendor and found it interesting but ultimately too flawed to ever play again. Will be checking out Race for the Galaxy though.
>>
>>52235246
>ultimately too flawed
Too flawed how exactly?
>>
>>52233572
Battlecon
>>
>>52233572
Arboretum maybe?
>>
>>52235096
1.-Read the rules
2.-Read the rules
3.-Really, did you read them?
4.-Set up a mock game and play a couple turns by yourself or with a friend so you really understand the turn order, focus extra hard on the action phase sequence
5.-Tell your players to read the rules they won't
6.-Print out cheat sheets, rules summaries and tech trees
7.-Take some Xanax before the game session, you'll need to be impervious to stress and frustration
8.-Remember all the rules you hopefully read? Start with an overview, goals, strategy cards and player order, turn sequence, resources, system activation and unit building. Make sure everyone understands the victory conditions.
9.-When your players get glassy-eyed from hearing you talk, wing it for the rest of the game. Keep the cheat sheets close at hand.
10.-Make a shit ton of mistakes and bad calls. You'll get it right next time.
11.-Have more fun than should be legally allowed.
>>
>>52232749
Neither Archipelago nor Robinson Crusoe involve direct conflict, but both are damn good games none the less. Crusoe is cooperative, Archipelago is competitive.

Between Eclipse and Exodus - Eclipse is easier to learn / teach, but Exodus (particularly with the expansion) has more depth.

Mare Nostrum and Kemet are both excellent games with a lot of direct conflict.

The others I haven't played so I can't give you any honest direct feedback about those. Though I can tell you that there isn't a lot of direct conflict in Scythe and what little there is tends to be costly to both sides one way or another.
>>
Anachrony, yay or nay?
>>
>>52235096
>>52235110
1. Hit the Board Game Geek site and see if you can pick up player-aids that show the tech tree progression and different racial abilities / strengths.

1a. Also pick up the latest rules PDFs (for the core and both expansions) as well as any FAQs. (Should be available on BGG too.)

2. Both can go a long way to making the game better. Always teach new players that the key to winning (and playing a better game) is to always keep their objectives in mind. It is way (WAY) to easy to get distracted by tech / military items and end up doing little or nothing to actually earn victory points.

3. Check out the Shattered Ascension site for alternate rules and some good map configurations.

http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/

http://www.astralvault.net/games/SA/maps.html
>>
File: IMG_1765.jpg (39KB, 594x325px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1765.jpg
39KB, 594x325px
>>52231697
>oh my god, I can't even with this theme. It's soooo boring.

Uh....then don't play it anon.

>Why are you so mad! *autistic screeching*

mfw
>>
>>52235433
Thanks for resurrecting an argument we all abandoned hours ago, dickweasel.
>>
>>52233572
If you like the theme, Star Wars Rebellion
>>
>>52235485
Have it!
>>
>>52235407
I think it looks awesome. I loved Trickerion, so this is gonna get bought soon I think.
>>
>>52235454
You're welcome, cockferret.
>>
>>52219901
anybody?
>>
>>52235565
Penistoat
>>
>>52235593
That just sounds like something the English would eat...

"I'd like a serving of 'Spotted Dick' with a side of Penistoat."
>>
File: sg_504.jpg (262KB, 700x958px) Image search: [Google]
sg_504.jpg
262KB, 700x958px
Howabout some games that make you just go
>Oh god WHAT THE FUCK?

Like 504 or Mystic Vale.
>>
>>52235548
>. I loved Trickerion
I fell for the kickstarter too, but here's the thing, bro...how is it fun? There's like five steps to doing the thing you're supposed to be doing, and good luck doing it once,even TWICE is fucking difficult, and it just doesn't feel fun to succeed. Why do I keep this game with its cavalcade of fucking STUFF in it?
>>
>>52233695
I have little experience in the matter, but I've heard La Havre described this way, and Die Macher is supposed to be the euroiest eurogame.
>>
File: IMG_0513.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0513.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>52216788
Anything worth picking up?
>>
>>52237200
That's witches on the left, btw
>>
>>52232749
Falling Sky, Mare Nostrum, Dominant Species. Not played any of the others.

>>52233618
>Falling Sky
>conflict-light
>>
>>52237200
These all look grognard so youll need an expert grognard to investigate these games
>>
>>52237200
I vaguely remember hearing good things about Ambush.
>>
>>52237200
Both Britannia and Republic of Rome are worth it. Bear in mind these are old editions that look like shit, but if you don't care about that they're great.

Britannia is a game of proto-Smallworld where each player plays a set of invaders of Britain, starting with the Romans and ending with the Norman conquest. Basically, everyone will get a chance to sweep across Britain; the player to make the most out of these invasions wins.

Republic of Rome is a semi-cooperative game where each player is a faction in ancient Rome; the full game stretches from the Punic Wars to the principate. It's a game where you have to vote for fucking everything, send away generals on hopeless campaigns, and prosecute the shit out of people who haven't really done anything wrong, except having influence. I highly recommend it.
>>
>>52236094
Because it's a puzzle to decode? Trying to find the most efficient use of actions is why I love the game. Trying to pick the right path through that cavalcade of stuff, the path that will put you ahead of your opponents is why I love the game.
>>
>>52216788
Would you be ok with doubling the required table space in games like Castle Ravenloft, Descent and Zombicide for much more detailed 55mm minis?
>>
Please give me some recommendations for some team-based board games. Preferably meeting these criteria:

2v2v2
3v3
4v4
A team of 3 to 5 players vs a team of 1 or 2

Also would like some recommendations on games where players do not start off as teams, but can forge alliances. And I don't mean alliances in a game like monopoly where someone on your "team" will allow you to go on their spaces without being forced to pay you, but if you forge an alliance with someone based on actual rules and where you both can win together.

As for my recommendations, I suggest Betrayal at House on the Hill and Pandemic (the terrorist mode) for those looking for a 3-5 vs 1-2 game.
>>
>>52237683
God no, those are table eaters as it is.
>>
>>52237683
no
>>
>>52232749
I can heartily recommend Kemet, and Dominant Species out of that list.

Haven't played them but I heard Archipelago, Eclipse, Robinson Crusoe and Mare Nostrum are great and the rest are good.

I'd wait for Mythic Battles Pantheon and Rising Sun to age a bit before buying them.

>>52233572
I like Neuroshima Hex and Imperial Settlers for 2p.

Recently got War of the Ring and I'm hyped as hell about it but can't recommend it until I'll actually play it
>>
>>52237705
>Betrayal at House on the Hill
My group plays this a lot, for 2 of them it's their favourite game. Don't get me wrong it's a bit of light fun, but I really don't get why it's SO popular. The vast majority of the game is a lengthy scenario generator with no meaningful decisions beyond "I explore through that door" followed by a haunt that is sometimes fun sometimes very bland and sometimes extremely unbalanced.
>>
>>52233695
Economics dilettante here and not really I think.

Every game with an auction system can be shown how supply/demand works (Power Grid even tries to simulate that a bit) but I think you'd need more players as to become unwieldy for that to be really robust.

For computer games I heard that Eve Online is pretty great in this regard.
>>
okay guys what should i get today, haven't played any of these

The Resistance (or The Resistance: Avalon, don't know which one is better)

Ticket to Ride

Cosmic Encounter
>>
>>52238484
Avalon
>>
>>52238484
Both The Resistance (and Avalon) and Cosmic Encounter are primarily talking and negotiating, and of the two Cosmic Encounter has a more polarized first impression. If you don't feel like wanting a game that requires a bunch of talking, Ticket to Ride is fine. For which version, you'll have to wait for a recommendation, though I think Europe was mentioned the most?
>>
>>52238613
I think United States is recommended for Ticket to Ride.

Also, glad to know Cosmic Encounters is polarizing. The people I'm playing with are somewhat casual so I want to play a game I know we'll all enjoy, which I feel Avalon or Ticket to Ride fits better.
>>
>>52238637
Sounds like a safe bet. Cosmic Encounter can be fun with all the different alien powers, but I can see how it can be frustrating or dull to some, especially to players who are quiet or have trouble convincing others. Atleast Avalon lets them say "I told you so" when a quest fails.
>>
>>52238637
>>52238613

Europe's ranked higher on BGG, and from what I've seen generally gets higher praise.
>>
>>52238984
Europe gives you ways to complete routes you shouldn't be able to, so if you group like cockblocking America is preferred
>>
>>52237830
>don't get why it's SO popular.
Because there's a lacking of story games, especially horror that's not Lovecraft or zombies. It's also why Tales of the Arabian Nights is so popular, despite the fact it runs so long. Dice Tower had a really good discussion on this a month or so back in a Top 10, where Zee brought up he wants replacements for stuff like this, because there's no really great story driven games, non-legacy, that still have great mechanics.
>>
>>52238484
Ticket to ride is way too slow and monotonous for me
>>
>>52238637
>I think United States is recommended for Ticket to Ride.
No. Nordic for 2 players, Europe for larger groups.
>>
>>52235407
>>52235548
I backed the KS and received the game. I haven't opened it up yet though, because I'm not sure if I want to keep it or sell it.

Just been sitting waiting on reviews and playthroughs to come out because I don't want to break the seal.
>>
>>52220033
No problem

>>52235071
Yeah Lettstrade was kind of a let down for me. My group already almost never used the friendship cards, and I was hoping she would encourage that. I feel like adding her would just make players want to use friendship even less.
Honestly Card Shark is pretty underwhelming as well. Destroying cards for 2 bucks isn't that amazing when you can destroy cards for Promos. And having your income score reduced by half means you can't even really profit from it.
>>
Looking for a good civilization building game. Been playing Rivals For Catan a lot but I want something a bit different.
>>
File: Nations.jpg (549KB, 3000x1581px) Image search: [Google]
Nations.jpg
549KB, 3000x1581px
>>52241660
Try Nations. 1-5 players.
>>
>>52236094
>>52237669
You both just described Mage Knight and I hate that game.
>>
>>52237683
>Descent
No who really fucking cares

>Castle Ravenloft
Awful game. It's just neutered D&D with prototype pieces because apparently they forgot to hire a graphic designer.
>>
>>52237838
Oh unfortunately I'm way past that. S&D basically don't even enter the picture in my group much unless it's extreme because we're all very knowledgeable. Picture a bunch of turbo nerds who all studied Game Theory, some of which took debate class. Auctions don't even work in this group since it's obvious to everyone how to bid.
>>
>>52242152
Board games rely more on game theory (combinatorial or Nash), control theory - engine builders are basically exercises in discrete control theory with stochasticty thrown in and mathematical optimization.

In my personal view you can't really go into economics (unless it's going to be very simulated and trivial like the market in Power Grid). Board games are mostly 0 sum games so players (agents) won't strive to have as many interactions as "normal" and also it's a question of player count - how many players do you need for it to behave like a market.

That's why I mentioned MMOs earlier they don't suffer from both problems - they have very high player counts and also may be non 0 sum (there's really no "winning" Eve Online or WoW)
>>
>>52243057
The fun thing is when you learn about players in your group who have unorthodox payoffs. Maybe someone only cares about winning second-best and really just wants to try to land a dropship with a Supreme Commander near your base, so you have to choose between getting slowly killed by it or nuking yourself by destroying its reactor core (taken from Supreme Command videogame of course).

In Magic, these are the various customer profiles like the Timmy or whatever. The fun in some of the longer Grand Strategy style games like Twilight Imperium is how you're given plenty of time and opportunity to profile your opponents and find out if they want to just settle Hope and build tons of shock troops every turn or if they're legitimately trying to get 10 VP first.

The problem comes with games that are about pure money. Auction games like Ra or pure capitalism games tend to just wind up being rudimentary classroom exercises in Nash game theory UNLESS you play with one Econ major and some laypeople. Then you start to see some interesting scenarios.
>>
Catan vs Alhambra vs Carcassonne

Which is best?
>>
>>52243177
You should check out Characteristic of Games, the book takes some of that into consideration (it's also written by the m:tg team)
>>
File: 1488999722103.jpg (202KB, 967x1019px) Image search: [Google]
1488999722103.jpg
202KB, 967x1019px
Anyone got links to board game scans? Only found Carcasonne and Dune on piratebay

Also is Arkham Horror Card Game any good and why not?
>>
>>52217082
wow, that's a beautiful mess.
>>
If you've never played Pandemic (because the rules looked hilariously boring) but you REALLY want to try a Legacy game, is it worth buying? Right now it's at only $43, so I was thinking of just taking a risk.

Or is it all set dressing? I vaguely heard somewhere that it's just iterative Pandemic with some expansion pieces thrown in.
>>
>>52243550
>Also is Arkham Horror Card Game any good and why not?
AH LCG is a terrible game. It's absolutely bogus value. The box is incredibly barren: in quantity of cards (you won't even be able to play some of the characters together because they use the same cards), in lack of graphic design, and ultimately in lack of gameplay.

All things considered you only get ONE scenario to play. Assuming you got it on sale for $33, you're basically gambling that you enjoy a singular scenario enough to keep dumping money into expansions until you get bored. That one scenario, you better choose the right characters to play with because like I said, they are mutually exclusive unless you buy two core sets, which is just money-grubbing.

There's barely half a game in the box. The gameplay is the worst part (even worse than the droll, lifeless graphic design). You basically move from card to card which are each rooms and constantly draw tokens from the chaos bag to see what negative modifier you get to your skill check. You have skill points and you can boost them with various icons. Ultimately, the entire game from playing cards to drafting cards (extremely rarely) to gathering clue tokens is just an empty exertcise in bag-drawing.

I don't know how they managed to fuck up so spectacularly with this game. Just by including at least 2 scenarios, more cards to work with, and an actual system that worked instead of mindless skill checks, it could've been fun.

If you're not convinced that the bag drawing isn't fun, imagine a cooperative card game where every single action required a d6 roll check to pass a skill test and you could discard or play things to try and fix the results slightly sometimes.
>>
>>52243735
Forgot to mention it requires an opaque bag for tokens and doesn't provide one. Minor complaint, all things considered but it adds to the feel of "cheapness" about its production.
>>
>>52243735
And Board Game?
>>
>>52243735
did you play Eldritch Horror?
>>
>>52243805
No, why? I did play AH a couple times.
>>
File: first martians.jpg (14KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
first martians.jpg
14KB, 246x246px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Tzdbxq6V4

Damn I just watched this without knowing much about the game and now I'm kinda hype. Sorry Ignacy.
>>
>>52243639
Regular Pandemic is great, don't see the point of shittying it up with 'legacy'.
>>
Can anyone tell me about Jaipur and why it's so good? The only reviews of it I can find are the Dice Tower and I can't stand any of them
>>
File: pic3016500.jpg (478KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pic3016500.jpg
478KB, 1000x1000px
How is it?
>>
>>52243735
>All things considered you only get ONE scenario to play.
I'm assuming you mean the one scenario which has 3 different chapters to play through.
>>
>>52245835
The entire game has at most 4 hours of total gameplay and then it's spent pretty much forever unless you just love running through the same bag-drawing horse shit over and over with no new surprises but with a little bit more failure.
>>
>>52244593
Pretty damn good. The Crossroads system is a cute little addition that makes it very thematic, and overall it's very tough but (mostly) fair. Traitor mechanic is sorta interesting, but I've never played a game where anybody gets exiled. Quite a bit of set-up, and I personally prefer co-ops that are a bit leaner time-wise (Forbidden Island, Thunderbirds) but I'll usually be up for it.
>>
Guy guys. Guys. My dealer just came through. Feels great man
>>
File: 20170318_183931.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170318_183931.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>52246720
So hype I forgot the pic.
>>
File: 20170318_184100.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170318_184100.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>52246731
Okay just kidding kinda. Got 1200 sleeves. Gonna go all my games. Debate me. Pros and cons of sleeving?
>>
how's Robinson Crusoe as a step up game from pandemic
>>
>>52246771
Pros:
Stuff become more durable
You can play games without worrying at every turn about how people draw cards
Useful to not rape with your nails that one fucking card that stayed at the bottom of your game's box when you try to get it
Overall, you spare money I'd say.

Cons:
Shit takes quite a bit of time to do
Cards get more slippery and slide like crazy across the board/table
The feeling to the touch is lost
>>
>>52246884

Sleeve-on-sleeve also tends to "wander", causing orderly piles to quickly succumb to entropy. Good textured cards stay put on themselves and the play surface.
>>
>>52245893
Or buy the expansions and get more. Because you know, LCG/ECG. Not that I'm expecting to change your mind on the game anyway.

>>52246771
Pros: Easier shuffling, illusion of safety.
Cons: Sticky cards eventually, expensive to sleeve everything.
>>
>>52246884
Oh also, for the cons, it's hard to get the good size for some cards. I'd advise to get stuff that really fits your cards with like half a millimeter/one millimeter of gap because it otherwise won't fit inside the box. Check if the size fits inside the storage of the box or you'll have to start over. I don't recommend sleeve with a gap over 1 millimeter between it isn't aesthetic at all and the sleeve's edges will get bent over and over through manipulation.
Also, sleeving increases the thickness of the cards. it might not look like it but it's quite a tremendous change. Be careful that your box can contain them all.
>>
>>52246905
This is why matte sleeves exist, though I have yet to find matte sleeves that aren't colored and my OCD refuses any sleeves that aren't clear.
>>
File: 1477083601403.jpg (49KB, 447x723px) Image search: [Google]
1477083601403.jpg
49KB, 447x723px
>the card bender is at your table
>it's your game that's currently in play
>>
>>52246771
>Cons
None, stop this BS meme

>Pros
Everything, sleeve all your fucking cards you twat.
>>
>>52246978
Back in my day, you didn't pay forty dollars to play a game once. But I guess with T.I.M.E. Stories, no one gives a shit about value per dollar anymore.

If a game is good on its own merits, you can expand it. AH LCG is distinctly shit.
>>
>>52247125
Are you retarded? Get KMC clears.
>>
>>52247194
Overpriced, I'd rather buy more games than waste it on sleeves
>>
>>52247149
>when he scratches his forearms or face with your cards
>when he picks up your cards using his nails extensively
>when he grinds his fingertips on the edge of your cards, roughing up the material
>>
Oh hey, I just thought I should post what I have made one more time.
Onitama cards here. Enjoy yourselves.

https://mega.nz/#!TVgnECQZ!uiEwsTpuemLqL6Ggm4epcKT4rSD0UpWZlDVmu5u37dc
>>
>>52247264
Yep, confirmed actually retarded.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyper-Matte-Sleeves-Pack-Clear/dp/B011MIRTWA

5 80-packs for $25 is $5 per pack which is the same price as shitty ultra pros.
>>
File: pic1904079.jpg (1MB, 1002x1285px) Image search: [Google]
pic1904079.jpg
1MB, 1002x1285px
>>52247402
This is appreciated.

Does anyone have all the Splendor cards in high res? I want to build my own version of the game and before I do the design work, I just want to print the existing cards. I'll be buying acrylic gems to really complete the feel.
>>
>>52247468
If there are resources, you guys should set up a pastebin with download links in the OP. We're here to share, right?
>>
>>52247447
I don't use ultra-pros either, and $5 per pack is still enough to add up if you sleeve every game you own, that it's worth just playing without retards and autists, and just buy another game.
>>
>>52247149
>>52247304
If I ever went to prison it would be for assaulting an asshat who does this
>>
>>52247616
I take back calling you a retard but only because I've recently had to stop buying deckbuilders since they have that hidden cost. And that's with me buying mayday premium-fits at $1.60 per 50 pack. Core Worlds and Aeon's End were like 700 together with the expansions I grabbed. I paid $22 just in sleeves.

Don't get me started on the shit practice of different standards. I hate bridge-sized cards in FFGs games because I can't use any of my existing sleeves.
>>
Sorry for interrupt.
Good games for 2 players? I mean outside from the obvious such as Patchwork or 7 Wonders Duel?
I've been thinking in maybe Jaipur and maybe Le Harve "Duel".
>>
>>52247673
Nah doesn't bug me, I just have always been more conscious of every cent I spend because I run my own business so I have to track every expense obsessively. I'd just gotten back into the hobby, had a copy of TtR, went to get sleeves for it and then realized it'd be cheaper to just buy a replacement deck.

When I got into games that had LOTS of cards I said no way, because I'm already mostly shopping for games via online sellers when stuff's discounted on top of the lower cost. I agree on Mayday premium fits, especially because they make a wider range of card sizes. Though I did buy FFG sleeves for my damage decks for X-wing. I know they have excess, but I actually prefer that for them, feels like a mm of extra protection from idiots at LGS events.
>>
>>52247820
Some games do actually feel bad without sleeves though. It's typically games without linen cardboard or Aeon's End, which feels like your soul is being ripped out through your fingers.
>>
>>52247848
>Aeon's End
Never played it, I do feel like linen finish has ruined me, though Trains is ultra slick cards, and I don't really mind those unsleeved.
>>
What's the problem with UltraPro? I use those and I have zero trouble. Is the plastic a polymer that triggers your autism?
>>
>>52247887
Could you stop being a humongous faggot with a side of ignorance? You're not going to be spoon-fed on every little detail about why some sleeves suck. Just watch Tolarian College reviews and you'll see UP are overpriced, splitting, garbage.
>>
How is Star Realms?
>>
>>52247887
Dunno. I use the cheapest sleeves I can get (mayday) and I never have any issues at all.

Honestly if you're like this retard;
>>52247959
and need a youtube video to tell you what sleeves are good you probably handle your cards like a domesticated ogre.
>>
>>52247959
Yeah, I won't deny that I didn't like the price when I bought them. Currently watching the video for the perfect size UP and what the fuck is that shit about splitting? I've sleeved Pandemic, Boss Monster and MTG with them and none has split yet. I've just tried while pushing casually a card against a corner and the sleeve bent, it didn't split. As for the ripping test, I'm not one to actually care about this, my sleeves never undergo such conditions.

Sometimes, I really wonder if you guys aren't just cherry-picking. Sure, there's better quality (I was very impressed by the stretch test of some of the other ones) but they fit good enough for me. My place hardly has other brands anyway.
>>
>>52247503
We have a pastebin full of game related links that routinely shows up in the OP. Just not shit that will get us busted with copyright infringement issues. You want to share stuff like that, take it to the PDF share threads / upload that stuff on a Mega site where it belongs.
>>
>>52248208
>you probably handle your cards like a domesticated ogre.
Cute. Because in numerous tests of the product, it fails via splitting even when handled carefully.
>>
>>52248345
Actually TCG players well-know the pitfalls of UP.
>>
>>52248178
Ascension minus the monsters. You just hit each other instead.

A simple, relatively fast deckbuilder. Once you know the value of the cards and get the 'strategy' down it becomes heavily dependent on the random draws for your hands and the buy row.
>>
>>52248444
When the fuck has a 4chan thread gotten busted for copyright? I want a real answer, here, since the entire premise of 4chan lends itself to mass copy violation at all times.
>>
>>52248791
>. Once you know the value of the cards and get the 'strategy' down
That won't happen for a looooot longer than you think. Try the podcast Megahaulin to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

That having been said, once you do put in the requisite hundreds of games, you're probably capped out skill-wise.
>>
>>52244593
What minifig said, but the traitor mechanic isn't very well implemented, BSG or Dark Moon or New Angeles are a little stronger in that department.
>>
So I'm deciding between getting Scythe, Inis, or Dragoon. I really like the concepts and art styles behind all of the games, and I think they'd be fun.

I understand that conflict in Scythe, at the very least, is few and far between. I'd just like to see what people's opinions are of the games to help give me an idea of what to buy.
>>
>>52247794
Is Jaipur really that good?
>>
>>52248444
Game rules are not intellectual property. It's perfectly legal to share them. In fact, it's perfectly legal to manufacture and sell unlicensed clones of boardgames as long as you don't reuse any of the original artwork.
>>
>>52250472
And that's exactly want the other Anon wanted - the cards / artwork from the game. Now do you get it?
>>
>>52250940
So explain how this thread is going to get a 4chan DMCA before:
A. The thread expires
B. Significantly more infringing material that gets posted en-mass every second. Don't forget that every image that isn't specifically allowed is copyright infringement.

What's really going on is you're being needlessly contrarian for absolutely no reason.
>>
>>52251258
>start a convo with someone who uses an anonymous website yet insists on using a name so he can feel special
>expect him to be reasonable or, at least, smart enough to have a real conversation
sorry but your expectations were never going to be met, anon
>>
>>52235071
Friendship cards in general are pretty shit in all but concept, so it doesn't surprise me that the character based on them is shit too.
>>
File: DCvnqQw.png (971KB, 822x541px) Image search: [Google]
DCvnqQw.png
971KB, 822x541px
>playing Battlecon, teaching 2 people
>one guy picks up the cardboard standee and starts hitting it against the edge of the table, denting the cardboard's edge
When I asked him what the fuck he was doing, he said "I didn't think you'd care"
>>
>hear good things about Mare Nostrum
>Look it up, find out it started as a Kickstarter reprint
>bad feeling, check details
>almost all kickstarter exclusives are bundled into an "atlas" expansion, that's ok I guess
>out of stock / ridiculous prices everywhere

Welp, guess that's another game I'll never get despite how good it might be.
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457KB, 600x450px
>People don't sleeve their cards in KMC Perfect Fits inside KMC Hyper Mattes, where possible

How does it feel to use sub-standard sleeves anons?
>>
Wear and tear adds charm to your games and rebuying the game when the cards are completely worn out is cheaper than sleeving. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>52247820
Sleeves are worth it for irreplaceable items, or ones sure to experience heavy wear. I sleeved all of Chaos in the Old World as soon as I heard it was going OOP forever, and will do the same to Spulk Dangel before I even think of playing it
>>
>>52248791
And if you don't like the theme they did a tongue-in-cheek Cthulhu version
>>
File: energyoffers.large.png (37KB, 962x712px) Image search: [Google]
energyoffers.large.png
37KB, 962x712px
Hi.
We are creating games for teaching economics, and for some of them, we use mechanics and models that are similar to board games (and we try to have something fun as much as "serious"). https://lud.io . Do not hesitate to contact us.
>>
>>52253250
This is relevant to my interests. Hopefully you have some stuff that's not just immediately calculable using stuff like rollback equilibria and stuff.
>>
>>52253273
No, these are strategy games: For example, in one of them you are an airline (modeled in a simple way), and each "year" new scenario events happens (auctions, mergers, R&D, barriers to entry, ...).
We will soon run a new beta test: if you want to try, either send us a mail or leave yours here : https://lud.io/beta
>>
>come third in millennium blades
Fulton is hard to play
>>
>>52250940
I said resources, I didn't say "scan the fucking cards".
You can simply make your own version of the game just like I did and post the stuff here.
>>
>>52252865
Honestly? Good. So long as I have no trouble and it creates a decent protection for my cards, I'm fine with it.
I'm pretty sure KMC isn't sold in my country anyway. Import prices on the internet are actually pretty fucking expensive.
>>
>>52233572
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and it's expansion plus the Cthulhu-reskin (Mythos Tales) are p. good for two, but the replayability is literally zero.
>>
>>52241660
Probably unpopular opinion incoming:

Sid Meier's Civilization (the FFG game) is absolute gold if you have the expansions as well. It's pretty crap without at least Wisdom and Warfare, mind you.
>>
>>52244593
Overhyped. Battlestar Galactica does everything Dead of Winter does and does it better.

DoW takes less time to play, that's about the only good thing I can say about it. I've tried it multiple times with multiple different groups because I so badly wanted to like it. Not a single person in any of those groups found it enjoyable enough to play again.
>>
File: pic3470964.jpg (296KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pic3470964.jpg
296KB, 1920x1080px
>>
Anyone play Lobotomy yet? Holy fuck, that rulebook is a nightmare, our first game with one scenario took us 6 hours! the second time we played it, one scenario took us an hour and a half, in the rules it says half an hour per scenario..

Also, Deep Madness looks interesting...
>>
>>52254639
"what"
>>
>>52252220
How are people so retarded?
>>
>>52252220
I do hope you dropped that guy from your life? or dropped him on the floor...
>>
>>52250194
It really is that good. It has a surprising amount of depth for what amounts to a set collection game, mainly due to the camels.

Camel control is king. Sell at the wrong time and you won't have the camels to build your hand back up. Don't sell fast enough and you won't get the points. Grab all the camels when your opponent has a lot of cards lets them sell a much higher value hand.

Then, if you have four players, you can play a slight variant where partners across the table share camels and points (plus an additional action to pass your partner a card and they pass one back), means the game is even more interesting.

The best part? It's easy to teach and learn. Get Jaipur, it's fantastic.
>>
>>52252220
Dent his car with keys, and then say "I didn't think you'd care".
>>
>>52244593
Played it and found it was 'okay'. My other two friends felt the same way.

Might be more exciting with more people and traitors, but we also played Fury of Dracula for the first time that night and absolutely loved that.
>>
>>52252220
This is why I'm terrified to go to meetups with my games.
>>
>>52255035
Why not both?
>>
>>52255048
Thanks anon, really sold me on it.
>>
>>52252601
The expansion is only a big deal for expanding the player count up to six and down to two, I rarely use anything from it.
>>
>>52252601
Why? The core game is fine without the expansion. The expansion adds 'additional content' - it doesn't 'fix' some deficiency with the base game or add any new 'must have' mechanics afaik. Sure, I'd like the expansion too, but I bought the base game alone knowing that it was worth the investment because it was good 'as is'.
>>
>>52233572
>>52235485
Speaking of, it's on sale on amazon for about $64
>>
>>52233572
>>52235485
>>52256662
I can second Star Wars: Rebellion. That game is absolutely stellar. Long, though. Expect 3-4 hour games.

BattleCON is also amazeballs for thinky, strategic two-player play.
>>
What is up with Elder Sign's expansions? I've heard that they change the game to amazing extent. Story based or something?
I just got the base and the first expansion and really liked it.
>>
>>52257330
The app man, they developed a REALLY good app for the game, it let them test out bosses as DLC expansions where it's no longer just the museum, but you spend half the time there before going out to the ocean to find R'lyeh and kill C'thulu, or go to Alaska and track your colleague down in the snow to some remote cave before fighting Ithaqua. Once they realized the vidya version destroyed the physical copy they had to come up with a way to recreate.
>>
>>52257438
holy shit, in which expansion did that start?
>>
>>52244593

Hated it but then again, I want my games to be either all competitive or all cooperative.

Can't stand anything that's "cooperative... but"

Well I'm still hoping for one that'll win me over but so far the whole "traitor" concept never worked for me or my group.
>>
So who else is really disappointed with the Soulknife Mystic. Now I may just be spoiled because of Pathfinders Ultimate Psionics but everything about Mystic Soulknife is just underwealming.
>>
>>52257731
Whoops wrong general
>>
>>52244593
I prefer Shadows Over Camelot

YEAH, I WENT THERE

FITE ME
>>
>>52257532
The Gates of Arkham (2nd expansion) didn't really follow either of those but came out after the app and changed up the rules: some adventures are blind til you go into them, more exploring/thematic. 3rd expansion (Omens of Ice) is the Ithaqua dlc from the app, newest one that came out in the last couple weeks (Omens of the Deep) is the C'thulu boss dlc.

I still only own the bast game in tabletop format, because I got it in a math trade a couple years back and the app almost killed it for me last year, but then they release Omens of Ice in Feb/March, right after I'd bought it on the tablet, now the board game is definitely sticking around and I'll pick up the expansions later to keep it fresh. App is still maybe 2nd best digital version of any game I've played behind Galaxy Trucker.
>>
>>52257761
Definitely wrong general, but if you wanna complain about the Ultimate Equipment errata ruining the brawling enchantment cost you can stick around.
>>
File: dead of winter.jpg (564KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
dead of winter.jpg
564KB, 2048x2048px
>>52244593
>get pic related
>play with up to 10 people, 5 per team
>there may still be traitors who secretely work for the other team
>fight zombies and the other team at the same time

Sounds like this will finally make DoW a great game.
>>
I got the scan of Avalon Hill's Dune off piratebay

Did any of you gentlemen print it? Any advice?
>>
>>52258143
so you only need 200 bucks and 10 people per session to have fun?
>>
Oh and anyone got dirt cheap dune off boardgamegeek, i don't want to register only to download it, can someone upload it here?

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/75154/dirt-cheap-dune
>>
>>52256662
>>52256841
Like I said, we already own it but thanks. I'll relay the hot tip cause we paid $70.
>>
File: dirt-cheap-dune-2012-06-14.pdf (645KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
dirt-cheap-dune-2012-06-14.pdf
645KB, 1x1px
>>52258590
>>
>>52258590
>don't want to register only to download it,
You should be registered for the contests anon, loads of chances at kickstarter trash you can turn around and sell/trade that takes only 10 minutes to answer a quiz.
>>
>>52258770
eh, maybe someday

>>52258748
thank you friend
>>
>>52258492
Is that a hurdle for you?
>>
>>52257947
played this recently and the table didnt wanna play with the traitor mechanic
felt kinda boring :\
like an even easier pandemic
>>
>>52259316
very much so, i could barely get together 4 bearable people
>>
>>52247174

AH, unlike T.I.M.E Stories, has some replay value though. The scenarios are fucking hard.

T.I.M.E Stories has no replay value because you already know all the answers and the only unpredictable element is the dice results. Arkham Horror LCG keeps the basic skeleton of each scenario the same but has a lot of variability, and the campaign changes up elements of the later scenarios based on the outcome of the earlier scenarios.

FFG LCG gouging that forces you to buy multiple core sets aside (a standard fixture of all their LCGs), Arkham's a solid narrative/story game. Not a great value for money, but nowhere near as terrible a value as T.I.M.E Stories.
>>
Is Rex still considered good by /bgg/?
>>
>>52259404
Your table is mostly comprised of boring pussies. Sorry.
>>52260233
I've never heard anyone here say a bad thing about it.
>>
>>52260012
AH LCG isn't hard at all. I have no idea how you can possibly think that. It was trivial to just spam clue tokens, avoid danger, and kill whatever was there. When we failed, it was just because of a shit bag draw. How is that difficulty? The game makes it immediately apparent what everyone's best choices are. Beyond choices, how "hard" it is just has to do with how much probability smacks your dick with a hammer. Really, this is not the game to be defending so much. The fact that it's shit value for money but not COMPLETELY as shit as TIME stories doesn't excuse it.
>>
>>52259443

Then kill yourself lol
>>
>>52260438
no need to be rude because of several cardboard cutouts you pay hundreds of dollars for. i hope you're kinder to your friends.
>>
>>52233572
>Speaking of which, anyone got some amazing 2-player games to recommend?

Neuroshima Hex and some army expansions (like 5$ per one) for more possible match ups.
>>
>>52226084
nice thanks. Can you post more charts like these?
Other than the ''Games you can play with your wife''
>>
>>52260278
>I've never heard anyone here say a bad thing about it.
Say it often, but not too loudly: it's not Dune
>>
>>52261000
With Brian as far up his own ass as he is, I'm almost happier he's not making money off the game.
>>
>>52260278
yeah it kinda sucks
they never wanna play a game with competition :\
>>
>>52261074
True and I do like the few changes, Rex is a better version of the game mechanically I think. One day when I have time I'll set about making a full copy on Game Crafter and have it printed, right after I get to working on that Glory to Rome set based off the white box edition that people printed for themselves.
>>
fuuuuuck only 2 copies of M.Blades Set Rotation left at my game store
dunno if I should get it but I love the base game
>>
>>52261461
If you love the base game, get it. It's more good stuff.
>>
File: image_11963.jpg (81KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
image_11963.jpg
81KB, 750x400px
I don't know if this is the place to ask about digitalized boardgames but does anyone know if the "promo cards" of Twilight Struggle are made just for the "Turn Zero" scenario or are they good for regular play as well?
>>
>>52261327
Just make sure you share the files when you do, I think we'd all be pretty hype for that.
>>
I can borrow the following games from my library. Which do I go for next; which should I discard? Thanks /bgg/

Sails of glory
Zombie 15'
Hawaii
Historia
Samurai
Steampunk rally
Discoveries: the journals of Lewis & Clark
The castles of Burgundy
Roll for the galaxy
Tigris & Euphrates: a game of culture, conflict and civilization
Android: Netrunner
Eclipse : new dawn for the galaxy
Zombies!!!
Colt express
Defenders of the realm
Dungeon petz
Tiny epic galaxies
Mage wars
Space alert
Relic
Firefly - The game
Arkham horror
Tiny epic defenders
Eldritch horror
Euphoria
Quantum
Conquest of Planet Earth: the space alien game
Space Cadets - Dice duel
Assault on Doomrock
Wrath of dragons
Last night on Earth : the zombie game
DC Comics: Deck-Building Game
Guilds of London
Red november
Blood rage
Room-25
Terra mystica
Dead of winter: a crossroads game
Blue Moon legends
Legends of Andor
Abyss
Conflict of heroes - Awakening the bear!: Operation Barbarossa 1941
Mice and mystics
Libertalia
Lewis & Clark: the expedition
OddVille
War of the ring
Luna
Castle panic
Chaos in the old world
Flash point
Favor of the Pharaoh
Roborally
Relic runners
Police precinct
City of remnants
Kingsburg
Power Grid
Broom service
Pagoda
Planet steam
Sky traders
Sewer pirats
Archipelago
Caylus
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the cursed island
Cargo noir
Time 'n' space
New York 1901
Dungeon lords
Champions of midgard
Lords of Waterdeep
Escape : the curse of the temple
Hotel Mystery
Paris Connection
Toscana
Africana
Shadows of Brimstone: swamps of death
Metro 2033: breakthrough
Port Royal
Caverna: cave farmers
Coco Loco
>>
>>52261718
How the hell should we know without some context?
What do you like?
>>
>>52261752
I like REX, Tiny Epic Western, Codenames, Patchwork, Puerto Rico, Concordia, Dungeon Fighter, Dicey Goblins, Ricochet Robots etc..
>>
>>52261630
Turning not-Dune to Dune, or GtR?
>>
Schotten Totten or Battle Line? Are there any major differences?
>>
>>52255605
But that's what I want from it, our group usually goes from 2-6 players.

Also I'm a bit of a completionist, so not getting everything for s game tends to irk me slightly.
>>
>>52261502
Other anon. Even if it's kinda pricey and I don't get to play the base game often.
Or at all? Please convince me.
>>
>>52261718
pls respond to this. I would love to try some miniature games.
>>
>>52260330
>spam clue tokens
You... can't do that? You only spend clue tokens to advance the act deck, or at specific times. Also a single core set at Standard wouldn't have the leeway to commit cards to +4 or even +3 every single skill check. Neither would you usually have the time to do everything what you want to do before the agenda deck advances.

>Really, this is not the game to be defending so much.
Because for every person that volatilely hates a game, there's another who enjoyed it, and sharing opinions is what you do in these internet sites. Plus you sound like that one guy who disses Kickstarter games to make people regret buying them.

>>52261718
You have an amazing library. Of the listed games, Sails of Glory, Zombie 15, Last Night on Earth, Blood Rage, Mice and Mystics, Chaos in the Old World, and War of the Ring (I think) have miniatures in them.
>>
>>52243209
Carcassone
>>
>>52261718
Where the fuck is your library? Holy shit, I wish I could have something like this

Anyway, here's the game's I've played and enjoyed:
>Castle Panic
>Lords of Waterdeep

Here's the games I've been wanted to play:
>Roll for the galaxy
>Firefly
>Mage Wars
>War of the ring
>Chaos in the old world
>Roborally
>Power grid
>Archipelago
>Robinson Crusoe

Maybe that helps you pick some out
>>
>>52250194
Jaipur is love. Jaipur is life.
>>
>>52264943
Why do you like it so much?
>>
Has anybody played arsenal arena combat? If so, what's your opinion on the game and how does it handle combat? I just want to find a game with fighting robots that isn't shit.

>inb4 battletech
Battletech isn't in print and I refuse to pay $100+ to scalpels
>>
>>52258143
Something tells me that the last thing Dead of Winter needs is to literally double the number of people playing the game. Games of its nature usually scale very very poorly especially into large numbers like that.
>>
>>52252056
I was hoping she was going to make the cards worth something. I like the concept of them to sweeten deals and put deals a little more in your favor, especially with the restriction to having to trade equal to star value. They're just so worthless though.
>>
File: mm_wallpaper-en.jpg (281KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mm_wallpaper-en.jpg
281KB, 1024x768px
What does /bgg/ think of Memoir '44?
>>
>>52235071
>35 points
It's actually only 25 points. Which is even more disappointing. 35 points for a card is in the good range, but 25 is below average especially considering the total lack of synergy it has with anything else.

As with the forced friendship trade, I think you're being harder on it than you should be. Just make sure to trade with people who will do worse than you and it's all upside. Save your 3 for the last round (and your last 2 to be sure) and only trade with people doing below average. With that, for the purpose of taking 1st place it is 7 straight VP.

But, that VP is all you're getting, and even though it's an appreciable amount it's just not enough to really justify her...
>>
>>52265468
I know STEEV prefers HoN, but I really feel like this is the better lightweight WW2 game. Might be just because you're rolling more dice, might be the fact it's a hair simpler, don't think it's because it's lil green army men but possible, something about it just draws me a little bit more after having played both a couple times. Wish it was easier to get all the stuff for it because I'm a completionist and there's a few releases that look to be permanently OOP.
>>
>>52265743
I'm actually not convinced HoN is a "better" game, but between the loads of personality it has and the more appealing (to me) tactical scale, I can't help but enormously prefer it.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
Yay or nay, bgg? It sounds fun but my group isn't huge on coop.
>>
>>52265965
Yeah it's definitely got far more personality, and the customization of building your units/army really appealed to me at the start. Thinking on it further it's just the Commands & Colors system is so enjoyable to me that HoN's 2 dice + combat stats just doesn't do it, plus I love how it simulates fog of war. If you could give me HoN's unit building, and the stats on the units corresponded led to what you were rolling? Offensive stats - cover/defense of your target = dice rolled, and then just use the memoir style of having to hit the right symbol. Though that'd likely result in very few dice being rolled, so you'd have to have some base value and then your unit would have bonuses, or maybe give infantry a lower +dice to hit but more evasiveness than a tank?
>>
>>52263753
not him, but this game definitely falls into the category of "people claim its great because its cthulhu" if it didn't have that theme it would get no attention. its certainly not a quality enough game to warrant keeping up with the lcg model. some people will legitimately like the mechanics until they expand their horizons a bit more and realize there are quality card games out there but most people who claim its good just cream their panties for anything cthulhu
>>
>>52266712
Another "You'd hate this game if you played actually GOOD GAMES of which I will name none" post.
>>
>>52266920
another "i have nothing positive to say about the game in question so i will just attack your post" post. here's a question: can you name a card game that can be played solo that isn't better than AHLCG, ignoring theme? space hulk, pathfinder, lotr lcg. all of them allow you to make more meaningful decision than AHLCG.
>>
>>52266712
What are some card games that are actually good?
>>
>>52267078
>>52267059
"good" is subjective which is why i made them claim that they allow you to make more interesting decisions. AH is just trying to modify dice over and over. if that's your style just play literally any dice chucker that isn't gonna make you buy more and more and more packs in an attempt to convince you that the game is interesting and deep
>>
>>52267059
Oh, I don't care about the card game or anything about the discussion going on. I'm just sick of that smug non reply people give when they want to hate something but don't have any real argument to make.
>>
>>52267176
so you just came to fuck up the thread by flinging shit around in a discussion you care nothing about? you seem like a great individual and the general is lucky to have you around.
>>
>>52267200
I'm just calling the shit flinging as I see it. Now drop some titles or stop making the thread worse you colossal faggot.
>>
>>52266712
I wouldn't say that, while I won't discount the amount interest garnered just due to the Arkham Horror title, I definitely wouldn't mind playing the same game and system with a different theme, provided I'm interested in said theme. Imagine a campaign driven LCG with the Twilight Imperium IP, or something with mechs. Both of those would be pretty rad.

Fact of the matter is, if you didn't and never liked ameritrash, or play board games not for the "experience", then despite all the hype, the AHLCG won't change your mind. Otherwise, giving it a test run definitely wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>52267222
I'm the only one between the two of us who has contributed to discussion about games, but i guess if calling names makes you feel cool on an anonymous iraqi finger painting image board then have it. if you have a question about a game you do care to hear an answer to ill be glad to discuss it with you but as of now i have no reason to believe you actually play board games of any kind so i would have no idea where to begin with you
>>
>>52267285
Shit up the thread more it is then!
>>
>>52267283
my point is there are other card games that let you make more impactful and interesting choices. what does ahlcg actually have going for it other than cthulhu? no one here has been able to say anything positive about it yet, they just keep insisting that it's good
>>
>>52263753
i mean the game is basically just "draw random cards/tiles and see what happens"

it's a choose your own adventure story book put on cards instead of pages. but people will buy it for le epic lovecraftian experience
>>
>>52267176
so what games do you care about?
>>
>>52267315
>no one here has been able to say anything positive about it yet
Not this thread atleast. To repeat again though:
>Campaign driven
There are some decisions that affect future plays, sometimes good, sometimes bad. And win or lose, the game continues, with all the consequences that follow.

>Difficulty modification is easy
The chaos bag is like a die that you can change the faces on. If the difficulty is too easy or too hard, you can just modify the tokens too your liking.

>Risk mitigation
This is an LCG, not a board game. Which means building your own customized deck, with stuff you want to play according to a game plan you have set. Sometimes though, things won't go your way, and you have a 50/50 chance or worse to pass a skill check. You can however chuck cards to improve that chance, depending on the icons on those cards. Do you commit this Baseball Bat and miss out on damage later? Or do you go into the skill check hoping you draw a 0 or a +1? Your choice. This also means virtually no dead draws.

>Scenario creativity
Not being limited to a board means being able to many things. Sometimes a location will be available or not based on a decision you previously. Sometimes you'll have to keep moving forward as previous locations get sucked into oblivion. Sometimes a thing happens and permanently changes the deck you're using. Thanks to this, playing a new scenario is almost always "what will they do next?"

>>52267454
>i mean the game is basically just "draw random cards/tiles and see what happens"
If you don't go into deckbuilding, sure, that's fair. Dissing purely on that though seems weird on a board that lets you roll dice in posts, has generals with huge images of a similar type, and multiple discussions on imaginary waifus, villains, and adventures that hinge on "roll a die and see what happens". And you can't really fault people for buying a game due to interest in a theme, that happens way to often to matter.
>>
>>52267576
the problem is all of the positives are available in other games that allow you to make more varied decisions more often. AHLCG brings nothing new to the table other than its theme. That's good enough for some people, sure. But if it was good enough for someone they wouldn't be here asking about the game, they would already own it.

And you skipped over the fact that there is nothing interesting to do in the game once you complete all the content because it is so story based. It has slightly more replayability than TIME Stories just because it does have random card draws. Also you have to buy two copies of the game to really deck build, so you won't even know if you really like the game unless you buy two because you won't really experience the full game.

tl;dr if you like cthulhu, you'll probably love it. if not there are way better options for the money
>>
>>52267662
>if not there are way better options for the money
Such as what?
>>
>>52267662
>AHLCG brings nothing new to the table other than its theme
Too broad a statement that can be (and has been very frequently in recent times) applied to literally any new board game, depending on how you look at them. Innovation doesn't require invention.

>And you skipped over the fact that there is nothing interesting to do in the game once you complete all the content because it is so story based.
True, and a completely fair opinion. I mean, you can build new decks with new characters, aim for different resolutions, different choices, play on a higher difficulty setting, etc. Things you do with other LCGs. That requires player initiative though, and if you can't be bothered, especially if you had a bad first impression, then there's certainly no helping.
>>
>>52267773
any other campaign based lcg. a few were mentioned earlier in the thread

>>52267787
>innovation doesn't require invention
you say this but provide zero examples as to innovations made by ahlcg.

Also, the whole second argument you make is only really true if you bought two core sets. otherwise there is no deck building and your only options are to replay scenarios on different difficulty settings/with different characters. this will only appeal to people who like the theme, which was the entire point of the post i made that you responded to.
>>
>>52267851
>zero examples
If you don't think the 4 examples I put up as innovative, then I probably won't be changing your mind on this topic.

As for appealing to people that like the theme, that's highly likely to be true. However, I stand by my statement that the system would have legs even rethemed to a different theme, provided it's something people are interested in. Plus I'm satisfied with your acknowledgement that you *can* do something else with the game even after completing it, limited they may be.
>>
>>52267963
> could be rethemed provided it's something people are interested in
exactly. this game's mechanics are not interesting and it's appeal lies in theme because all the appeal is experiencing the story in different ways. i think we've been agreeing this whole time tbqhfam
>>
>>52267991
We probably have. I do think being able to commit cards and use dead cards for a purpose other than the printed effect is very interesting though, as is the whole freedom with which a scenario can utilize bland mechanics to affect your decisions while playing.
>>
>bgg: we argue semantics edition
>>
>>52268256
Hi friend! I see you're not happy about the direction the thread is taking and I completely understand that. Is there a game you'd like to chat about? I played my first three games of Forbidden Stars this past week and really loved it. Between all the games I got to play as Ultramarines and Chaos x2. I really liked the play style of the Chaos army. I've faced every faction other than Chaos (I'm the only one who's played Chaos in my group).

Really fun game. I think the order placement system is cool because there is no adjusting on the fly. You're stuck with what you've placed so planning is insanely important. I also liked the combat a lot. Roll some dice then spend three rounds changing the results, assessing damage each round. If you make it all three rounds without wiping out one side then most morale wins. It's cool, it's thematic and, contrary to what I've read, I think it's even fun to watch.

If there isn't a game you're keen to bring up, what's the last game you played and how did you like it? Would you play it again? Would you buy it?
>>
>>52267078
>What are some card games that are actually good?
Race for the Galaxy.
>>
>when boardgaming as a hobby has been ruined by bgg and leddit
What are your guys thoughts on boardgame cafes? I honestly am not a fan of them but I feel it's because of the amount of people who say "IM GONNA MAKE A BOARDGAME CAFE LOL" in an area that already has a boardgame cafe. These same people usually also don't have a wealthy knowledge and are too lazy to do any research other than shit up BGG asking for "must have" games

Just interested what you guys thought of this trend because there seems to be more opening than ever and It's clearly not super sustainable.
>>
>>52268919
I don't have one near me but if I did I would probably go there pretty often. As far as whether it's dumb to open them or not I have no opinion on all that. If I had crazy money to invest in something I'd probably open one but mostly because I think it'd be fun.
>>
>>52269067
Fair opinion. Guess I've never been in the position where I could just throw money about like that so I can't understand
>>
File: 61-sgBQti5L._SL1000_.jpg (79KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
61-sgBQti5L._SL1000_.jpg
79KB, 1000x667px
How is Secret Hitler?
>>
>>52268919
As a customer, they serve as a good spot to play at if you can't play at a player's house for some reason. They're also great places to try out games that you're interested in but can't be bothered to buy.

As an option to own one though, they probably wouldn't survive without offering some other service besides lending tables to play at. You'd have to have some interest in playing the games you prepare too, as you'll be handling the rules explanations very often. If there's a small customer base in the area and a cafe already exists, there isn't really reason to make another one I'd say. The two competing cafes would just leech each other to death, unless they offer a different enough niche.
>>
>>52268919
From the business side - it's like any other themed cafe. First of all you gotta know your shit to open it - what to sell and for how much, the localization, the staffing, interior design, menu deign etc - this should be the most important concern.

Then there's stocking up with board games, as far as investment goes you need at least 40 games for variety and keeping your customers happy. You can probably get away by buying 2nd hand games because the games virtually disintegrate in a board gaming cafe.

Board gaming cafes are closing not because board gaming cafes are hard but because cafes (and restaurants) in general are hard work.

If you don't know how to run one you will fail.

As far as my opinion forboard gaming cafes as a client - I don't really like them much. It's a good place to meet new people to game with but most of them are autistic man/woman-children that lack social skills and treat the boardgaming cafe like some sort of family.

It's weird.
>>
>>52269127
Overrated.
>>
>>52267059
The pathfinder adventure card game is literal trash, mate. Mechanics are way worse than Arkham.

I'll agree on LotR and Space Hulk, but Pathfinder? Really? Have you even played that abomination of a game?
>>
>>52269127
It's basicly a more random resistance which is dumb because it means its even harder to be sure of things
>>
>>52216788
What would you suggest for a 2p game (can be more, but must scale well with just 2) that is not purely abstract nor Dominion?

My gf surprisingly enjoyed Neuroshima Hex and Carcassone. We've got more positions like Ultimate Warriorz, King of Tokyo or Zombiecide, but mostly there are only us two to play.

I was thinking about something more complex like War of the Ring but it MIGHT be too much if the gameplay goes beyond 3 hours.
>>
>>52269127
It's like Resistance only it fixes all of the problems that stop it from being any fun once you've played it a dozen times.

Always going all the way to the fifth pass before finally giving in and choosing a random mission, wasting everyone's fucking time for fifteen minutes and therefore making the game like an hour, for example, is fixed with a 2 pass system, third pass results in something probably bad but not the end of the game happening. This speeds everything along back to a sane pace.

The president powers allow everyone to legitimately vye for ingame power, instead of just be a Blue Team Generic who will never have any sort of power ever.

The weighted draw adds lots of simple fun with statistics, and uses that to determine the likelihood of people's treachery, instead of just catching a guy out as being evil and knowing that 100% so he's excommunicated from the game and not having fun anymore.

Not to mention you can directly affect the vote outcomes by shooting people, resulting in lots of different ways to go about winning, the most bruteforce lategame method simply being killing two of the other team til they don't have enough of a say in anything. It can go wrong, but it's extremely exciting, and makes gameplay more varied.

You have to switch from one goal to the next as you start to feel like you're fighting a losing battle - like in an actual game, with dynamic choices, instead of a series of bland logic gates.

If you like Resistance meta, you'll like SH meta better, I guarantee it.
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.