[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Artificer edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 39

File: Doctor.jpg (112KB, 736x1103px) Image search: [Google]
Doctor.jpg
112KB, 736x1103px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Mystic
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /tg/
>>52210977

What's the consensus on Artificer? I'll keep asking this question until I get an answer.
>>
File: 1469380506784.jpg (161KB, 629x800px) Image search: [Google]
1469380506784.jpg
161KB, 629x800px
>>52214605
I'm tossing around an idea that's been done before but I want inspiration for it.

What do you think of the notion that most wizards don't form into large groups, and have a sort of "ronin" or "cowboy" culture. That is, wizards wander the world, dueling other wizards to steal or obtain their spells and scrounging around for bits of arcane lore that they then keep secret from all but their apprentices?

>reposting since I got sniped by the new thread
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12544152

Very balanced so far.
>>
If I get an attack of opportunity, can I use shield bash from Shield Master feat instead?
>>
>>52214673
Nope.
>>
>>52214673
you can just shove them with the attack, no need for the feat
shoving is a regular thing you can do, Shield Master just lets you do it as a bonus action
>>
>>52214668
Who's my Theurgist brother? He's got good taste.
>>
>>52214673
Takes a bonus action, so no.
Now, if your DM isn't a faggot, he'd let you replace anything that says "you make an attack" with "you perform one of these other actions in place of an attack when you take the Attack action", i.e., grapples, shoves, or knockdowns. That's not really standard and I think Sage Advice once said "no don't do that", but it was probably Crawford the No Fun Faggot trying to stop martials from doing something remotely interesting again.
>you can stab a guy running away from you but you can't trip him
>>
>>52214661
good approach, i like it

definitely helping me fathom my new character's point of view, thanks
>>
>>52214713
I would insult your taste but I just voted for the Lore Master because I want to play one.
>>
>>52214713
You are both scum. Transmutationists for life.
>>
>>52214605
>What's the consensus on Artificer? I'll keep asking this question until I get an answer.
There's some silly stuff you can do with it, but it's overall underwhelming and needs some more archetypes.
>>
>>52214745
>>52214749
I honestly voted for flavor. I loved the Mystic Theurgist from 3e who worshiped Talos and find a blend of Divine and Arcane magic to be fun to play with. Arcana Cleric's also my favorite Cleric Domain.

For mechanics I'd have to vote either Enchanter or Transmutation.
>>
>>52214713
>>52214745
>>52214749
>>52214795
You are all nerd scum, the bladesinger is going to dunk your heads in the toilet and take your lunch money.
>>
>>52214818
You're literally the most boring archetype.

You trade altering the future, making a philosopher's stone and projecting shields over your friends for "me no want the weaknesses of being a wizard."
>>
>>52214818
With that amazing Strength score he has? Oh wait that's right, no one takes Bladesinging seriously and just uses it for AC and Concentration. A Thief has more place in melee then you.
>>
>>52214818
Shouldn't you be watching your wife taking a big Mystic cock?
>>
>>52214850
He just needs to somehow pull off a finesse dunk.
>>
>>52214848
>>52214850
>>52214855
Jelly weiners trying to justify their chicken arms and lack of real skills.
>>
>>52214848
>>52214850
>>52214855
Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself.
>>
>>52214866
I guess if you swing of a chandeler before doing it you might get to use Acrobatics

>>52214881
Bitch I can cast Enlarge person to get your melee skills and just Channel Arcana super Lightning bolts into you.
>>
>>52214902
You can't because magic isn't real.

What do you think the bladesinger can do, stop your pathetic whinging.
>>
How are Insight rolls handled at your table, anons?
Does the DM outright tell you "roll Insight" when talking to an NPC who may be hiding something, or do you as players voluntarily roll it whenever you suspect something is fishy in a dialogue?
>>
>>52214956
I prefer to make them roll when they think someone's lying but I also use a passive insight. If he passive insight is higher then the NPC's passive deception I drop a hint that makes him seem fishy.
>>
>>52214956
>Can I roll Insight to see if this guy is full of shit?
>>
>>52214956
Usually to detect whether someone's lying or if we're suspicious and want to confirm something from behavior.
It hasn't come up a lot but personally I'd impose some kind of advantage/disadvantage based on how long they've known each other for that sort of thing.
>>
Hey guys, I am setting up a campaign and already have a player wanting to play Mystic. I said it was fine, however he brought something up I'm embarrassed for not catching. Obviously this class sorta leads the player in boosting their INT and DEX and it gives all these Psi abilities to increased unarmed damage. Yet unarmed attacks are Str based, not Dex. Am I missing something?
>>
>>52214956
I never elected to roll insight because I find the idea of rolling instead of the DM hinting that something fishy being up to be more game-y than roleplay-y.
>>
>>52214956
Insight is just for reading body language and speech patterns to see if there is some subtle meaning behind something. Passive insight is noticing a difference, rolling is identifying what it means. Just like how the other skills passive bits are since every skill does have a passive version.
>>
>>52215004
These abilities say "(melee) weapon you're holding or unarmed strike" solely to allow for people who multiclass in Monk or are using Tavern Brawler, Lizardman / Minotaur unarmed strikes, or as futureproofing for psionic Monk archetypes or more Monkly Mystic archetypes. You're not really supposed to be making unarmed strikes as a basic Mystic, because as you said, that's Str and you have little reason to pump that.

There are oodles of powers that boost melee weapons that you can be using with your finesse rapier or whatever.
>>
I don't think high rolls should necessarily tell you everything or allow you succeed at everything, even with a good modifier.
>>
>>52215011
a) you assume that your ability to detect falsehoods is as good / bad as your PC's
b) you assume that your DM's ability to lie is as good / bad as an NPC's
c) you assume that your DM is putting the proper effort into accurately portraying the (un)trustworthiness of an NPC
>>
Hey I'm brand new to 5e and was wondering about building saboteur/spy Bard. I found the College of Whispers interesting and am going from there. the biggest thing throwing me is how skills are set up. like all three of my skills are intimidate, persuasion, and deception. I know it's how the game is set up now but it feels weird having such low stealth and perception. Also good spells for a bard are something new. appreciate any tips
>>
>>52214605
Gunsmith is underpowered.

Alchemist is cool. Class as a whole is cool, but the level 6 feature is done poorly in several ways (Such a big power boost at level 6 instead of 5, it doing more damage than you would, cluttering combat, not scaling well and what if you don't want a robot following you around? You become too dependent on it for damage.)
Then there's stuff like having automatic thieves' tools expertise to annoy the rogues. Then infuse magic doesn't have quite a wide enough range of uses, even if there are some and some are pretty neat. Then the spellcasting feels a bit limited. Also healing draught is too powerful compared to everything else, it might as well be one of the concotions you're forced to have at level 1. Attunement abilities feel kinda stupid, because attunement is more of a guideline there to stop you using too many magic items and either it doesn't come into play or it does based on your DM. And depending on how powreful the magic items are, it could be silly. Not to mention what the fuckis up with the level 20 feature.

Also it's kinda weird that it's probably the only class that can wear armour/shields it's not proficient in and still function.
>>
>>52215082
You get two skills from backgrounds, look through the ones in the PHB, or make up your own.
>>
>>52215045
Makes more sense. Well they are playing a High Elf so they already get that proficiency with short swords that he can use. So there is no issue here. Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>52215102
>Also it's kinda weird that it's probably the only class that can wear armour/shields it's not proficient in and still function.
Isn't this true of Mystic as well? Powers aren't spellcasting and if you rely only on stuff that requires no roll on your part, you can get away with it the same as a throwchemist.
>>
>>52215081
It just frustrates me. Do I just roll insight to every single thing someone says just to be sure?

Cuz that's no fun for anyone
>>
Are there any enemies that cause damage to nearby creatures when hit?

I'm making one and I'm trying to work out how to balance it and factor it into CR
>>
>>52214661
makes for a cool mid to low fantasy setting. I feel the more prevalent magic is the more likely people are to from official organizations around it. that doesn't mean two self taught hermits won't engage in cosmic bum fights though. Hell if you're going with the Ronin idea you could flavor schools of magic as favoring only certain kinds and the "renegade" wizards are the dirty sexy mma fighters
>>
>>52214956
They can choose to roll, but if they accuse somebody innocent or roll really poorly then it can cause a faux pas that affects future rolls
>>
Is Gunsmith underpowered like Elemental Monk feels useless or Sorcerer's mechanically weak but it doesn't hurt it that much in real play?
>>
>>52215171
Only when you think a guy might be full of shit or you're talking about something that could have bad consequences.

>man in a hood: hey this asshole stole my shit, get it back for me, it's in his house
>uhhhh this guy might be a thief who just wants this item from its legal owner and wants someone else to go through the risk of stealing it for him, can i roll insight
>>
>>52215253
yes
>>
File: Eyvind.png (471KB, 805x1217px) Image search: [Google]
Eyvind.png
471KB, 805x1217px
>>52214661
I'd use this.

I do feel it'd mean Wizards tend to be younger than traditionally portrayed and the older ones are seriously not to be fucked with.
>>
>>52215189
Remorhazes deal Fire damage to creatures that strike them in melee.
>>
>>52215254
If there's no reason at all for a character (and their player) to be suspicious of an NPC I personally just tell them outright.

There's no point beating around the bush.
>>
>>52214979
this
>>
File: 1475176749766.jpg (233KB, 571x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475176749766.jpg
233KB, 571x800px
>>52215274
> "I've learned 30 years worth of magic in 5 years by skipping the discipline part, so bring it on!"
>>
>>52215322
Young Wizards are such a turn-off for me I've mandated that your maximum spell level is capped by (Age - 30) / 5. Either come at this shit old or hope there's years of downtime, fucker.
>>
>>52215277
I mean more like if you hit them then everyone within 5ft takes damage, although that's a good starting point.

Maybe if I half the damage or something.
>>
>>52215351
You sound like a fun DM.
>>
>>52215351
The range of random starting ages in 3e for a wizard was 17-27 years old.
>>
>>52215082
There's a background called Criminal which has a variant called Spy. Criminal/Spy gets proficiency in Deception and Stealth. As Bard, take Intimidation, Persuasion and Perception. Then you can have all five, and you're a spy 4 realz.

Also, Bards add half their proficiency to anything they're not proficient in, so they're never "bad" at anything.
>>
File: wizard.jpg (157KB, 654x900px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
157KB, 654x900px
>>52215351
>retire from job
>take up wizardry as a hobby
>laugh at wizard undergrads who can't even cast a cantrip while you're casting wishes and avoiding death with simulacra
>>
Reposting. So 2 level 7 Mystics just took out my Young Sea Dragon in two turns. Explain why I should not ban this class? It went like this.

Soul Knife Mystic was able to hit the dragon with the Animate Weapon + Lethal weapon combo, and delt about 2/3s of its HP, then the Nomad was able to deal 40 points of damage on a psychic blast (60 ft. cone). The Dragon was not able to hit the Soul Knife because it could up its AC to 20+. Then the Soul knife used Ethereal Weapon + Animate weapon to make a dex save and killed it.
>>
>>52215372
I like to think so. The party levitated a train off its rails and crashed it through a castle wall last session so they could stop a ritual being performed by some of the King's key advisors to replace more of the monarchy with their alien mindslaves.
>>
>>52215351
Wait that doesn't make sense.

So a wizard could start at level 1 casting only level 1 spells at either 35 or 75 years of age, but only the older wizard would be able to learn new spells upon leveling up?

If they were at the same level to start despite the 40 year difference, what advantage does the oldster have if they level up at the same rate?
>>
>>52215421
>i started a new campaign in the last four days and session one or two had the party fighting a dragon also they're level 7
>>
>>52215421
>Young Sea Dragon
what?
>>
>>52215351
Good thing you're not my DM, then.
>>
>>52215434
It's magic, it's not supposed to make sense.
>>
File: Hood.jpg (47KB, 250x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hood.jpg
47KB, 250x600px
Hey, guys, how exactly IS a lich made?
>>
File: ciri.jpg (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ciri.jpg
2MB, 2560x1600px
I want to play a class that resembles her but i can't seem to find a class that does the job.
The closest piece of shit that i've found is horizon walker ranger but rangers don't even have the "great weapon fighting" fighting style.
Also after reading a bit it really feels like the class is built for bow-usage which im obviously not looking for.
Do you have any other ideas for me /tg/?
>>
>>52215440
not that guy but
>nobody ever changes characters
>nobody new ever joins groups
>nobody ever starts campaigns at higher levels
also an official campaign starts with a dragon encounter
>>
>>52215428
>sarcasm
The scenario sounds good though.
>>
>>52215351
So do you also only let Females be effective Sorcerers and all Paladins have to be Lawful Good?
>>
>>52215464
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXtCqI-iMJ4
>>
>>52215468
Fighter
>>
File: NecromancyThread.png (4MB, 1890x9539px) Image search: [Google]
NecromancyThread.png
4MB, 1890x9539px
>>52215464
Here you go you ancient fucking Casual.
>>
File: 3 (14).png (29KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
3 (14).png
29KB, 112x112px
I'm thinking about using this http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2015/06/the-machine.html but i cant understand this:
>Your armor class increases by 2, to a maximum of 20.
does that mean, if i use platemail (18AC) and shield (+2), i will still be at 20 AC? or it will be 22 AC?
>>
>>52215440

My party is level 7 we have been playing for year, I'm just trying to figure out if this class as is is too strong to be allowed for newcomers or if anyone dies.
>>
>>52215468
Ask if you can use Dueling while holding a longsword in two hands.

Also the Witcher's the most overrated game series ever.
>>
>>52215464
You gotta remove your soul from your body and somehow put it in a phylactery.
How this is done varies but it always involves some act of unspeakable evil.
Basically up to the DM.
>>
>>52215482
>Females be effective Sorcerers
Females can't be Sorcerers at all. they're sorceresses, duh
>all Paladins have to be Lawful Good
Naturally.
>>
File: 1356800294978.jpg (93KB, 344x660px) Image search: [Google]
1356800294978.jpg
93KB, 344x660px
>>52215515
>Fightesses
>Rangesses
someone do the rest
>>
>>52215102
The bonus attunement isn't really weird, because the class itself automatically gets magic items, and it'd be dumb to get one and not be able to use it due to the typical attunement limit. This alleviates that. Also, it makes the class stand out. I guess the robot does that, too.

The robot could be worked out better. If you don't think it should just be left completely up to the player, they could make it be like Warlock pacts: an extra level of customization that's built-in for you. Like maybe you can choose a bodyguard like robot (like what people would do now), or a Stand-like robot, or a tiny robot with greater magical capabilities. But asking players to just look through the books and copy/paste something is maybe not the best method.

The level 20 capstone sounds like it was made at the last moment. I wonder if this class was actually originally intended to be levels 1-10, but at the last moment they decided to shove the next 10 levels on in fear of people saying it was too little. Conceptually, they look like they wanted to go with something Voldemort-like, but couldn't think of something balanced quickly enough, so they just made something more easily digested.
>>
>>52215546
It's Fightrix, dumbass.
>>
>>52215502
So, what in this screencap supposed to be funny or informative?
>>
File: female knight.jpg (75KB, 453x671px) Image search: [Google]
female knight.jpg
75KB, 453x671px
>>52215557
My apologies
>>
>>52215563
Alright fuck you, Read Van Richten's Guide and the Blueprint for a Lich Article in the Dragon magazine, Monsters of Faerun, the Web enchanment for the Lich Monster class template, then understand how this all got shafted to Orcus post 4e with no ammount of detail or care to anything set up prior.

Modern Lich transformation is literally just crafting a phylactery, and you put your soul in it as you craft it, so you know, fuck the DM and his discretion fluff.
>>
>>52215600
If you love rules so much why don't you go back to 3.5?
>>
4e had better combat and class balance.
>>
>>52215662
not that guy, but if you don't care about them why are you asking for hard info on something that's up to DMs?
>>
File: Young Sea Dragon.png (49KB, 422x657px) Image search: [Google]
Young Sea Dragon.png
49KB, 422x657px
>>52215447
Tome of Beasts pg 136.
>>52215421
How many psi points did they have left over?
>>
>>52215692
I'm not, that is someone else.
>>
>>52215690
>class balance
sure
>better combat
depends what you want, it had deeper combat but it was also a slog
>>
>>52215690
With the right group combat was a fucking blast. Out of combat it wasn't very fun though, lacked creative spells and abilities beyond Damage and Skill bonus.
>>
>>52215421
Couldn't a signle breath attack kill either or both of them outright?

It sounds like you either played bad or they just got lucky.
>>
>>52215695
The Soul Knife had 14, the Nomad had 30
>>
>>52214661
Look up the way alchemists acted, and you'll see a lot of parallels. You can even steal to a lesser extent the charlatan part of it, where alchemists claimed to be able to make life forms, grant eternal life, and transmute gold, you can have Wizards claim to be able to turn people to toads, read people's minds, and communicate with God, when in reality they just know Minor Illusion, and Prestidigitation.
>>
>>52215700
then your opinion on it doesn't matter because they guy posting was looking for hard info or rules you fuckwit
>>
>>52215731
No they split apart and even then they each had 52 Hp.
>>
File: 1442878813312.jpg (145KB, 673x1022px) Image search: [Google]
1442878813312.jpg
145KB, 673x1022px
>>52215497
I'll just assume that you are talking about eldritch knight, and trust me, i have thought about it. The problem is that they would have to use loads of spellslots to dash/teleport around like ciri does and it would also cost to many actions during combat for it to be "viable" so to speak. Or maybe im just picky, who knows?

>>52215506
That probably is the only solution for me. I'll have to look into the ranger spells and see if it works well with melee combat.

Maybe so, but the slavs did a great job creating waifus and the lore for witchers is pretty cool imo
>>
Anons? Does anyone else remember older D&D classes named the Mystic, prior to 5e's new psionicistic generalist?

I mean, I remember Dragonlance had Mystic as a sort of sorcerer casting-style using Cleric back in 3.5, but given D&D has had an actual Witch class, surely the Mystic has been given a couple of different identities over the editions?
>>
>>52215750
I wasn't stating an opinion I was asking a question.
>>
>>52215546
>Fightress
>Rangress
>Artificress
>Nun
>Mystica
>>
Is it rude to ask a DM if you could find a certain Magical Item down the line? I'm not using melee attacks but something that boosts strength would really be cool for my Mystic Gnome who refuses to leave the front-lines.

>>52215770
Honestly if you don't mind some inferior spell choice then you can get pretty much all the Witcher signs on a Ranger eventually with a feat for Magic Initiate. Another option could be the monster hunter fighter if you aren't as focused on the magic side of things.

Honestly I played all the Witcher games and I think it was just my burning hatred of Geralt and how grim everything was. Number 2 was my favorite though.
>>
>>52215351
>You can play X but you have to be a cuck and accept this downside
Do these humans even exist?
>>
>>52215735
You've established they're willing to nova like motherfuckers, so throw more encounters to punish them for blowing all their resources on one or two fights.
>>
>>52215765
It should be able to kill one of them if they fail a save. What was the dragon doing in melee anyway? It should be able to spend the whole fight more than 30' from the Soul Knife, but that shouldn't even matter because you can't use Animate Weapon on the Soul Knives (they aren't held weapons).

>>52215468
Nomad Mystic has a lot of teleportation.
>>
File: Rogue_Vol_3_5.jpg (80KB, 510x792px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue_Vol_3_5.jpg
80KB, 510x792px
>>52215810
>Rogue

>>52215813
Are you asking for something like a belt of ogre strength? Don't ask to find it, ask for something to take it from. By force, if necessary.
>>
>>52215850
Yeah the belt would be awesome. Other option I thought of was holding a Rapier in two hands and calling it a Gnomish Estoc.

Just want to not be completely hopeless in the rare occasion I declare a full frontal charge, activate Mindless Charge and sprint at my enemies with a two handed sword.
>>
>>52215827
>not being a teenaged anime character is a downside
>>
>>52215082
Next time don't take the 3 conversational skills. They overlap a lot.
>>
Does anyone here have experience running 5e play-by-post? I am stuck in China for a year or so due to work and need my tabletop fix - but chink internet is way too shit for stable roll20 connection and even if it wasn't I have no free time whatsoever.

How does one adjust the ruleset and what kind of adventures are possible? Never ran PBP so curious about any of your experiences
>>
>>52215915
Just tell your players you don't want them to play a young wizard, not some passive "It's up to you........" passing the blame shit.
>>
>>52215351
I mean if it was a specific thing in one setting where magic and age had a direct correlation I could role with it. In every game though I'd most likely just avoid Wizards entirely and make nothing but Anti-Magic. Do I get a Grapple bonus for being a young fighter punching a 60 year old's teeth in?
>>
>>52215810
>Nun
kekd
>>
>>52215845
This is what I would do if I allowed it, but im a little worried that in a larger party setting they would nova a lot less than in a mock battle.

>>52215847
Fair point I should have probably used the breath weapon it would not have killed but it would have pushed one back a bit. I have never heard the Soul Knife thing though, is it not implied that you form 2 one handed light melee weapons in your hands?
>>
>>52215981
Huh, just checked for you because I didn't believe it but it specifically says they come out of your fists and never says you're holding them. Most likely for that exact reason.
>>
>>52215421
This >>52215845

Also, consider not allowing double psionic damage stacking. No Animate Weapon + Lethal Strike. No one needs to be doing 10d10+weapon damage on a hit at level 7. That's not much beyond a Paladin landing two smites, but it's still excessive, especially when Paladins have previously been held up as the kings of burst.

UA is meant to be tested. There are parts of Mystic that are clearly bullshit or overtuned, but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You can tone specific powers down. Here's a thought: say that the psi being put into an object (not yourself or a creature) can't exceed your psi limit. Lethal Strike and Animate Weapon are both dumping psi into your weapon, so instead of allowing them to hit their psi limit twice (5+5) while improving this, they could only benefit from the effect of one. They could put Psi into themselves and use Knock Back if they wanted extra damage, but that's d6 instead of d10 and requires a wall in range to hit, making it more circumstantial.
>>
>>52215813
I guess that feat could solve my problems as long as the DM allows me to use the dueling fighting style while two-handing a longsword as one of the guys earlier suggested.
I don't think monster hunter fighter is the one im looking for since i'm after "the magic side of things" or more specific: the "distant strike" class feature that horizon walker ranger has.

I don't really like geralt as a character either, but i do like how grim the world is. Gives a nice change phase compared to every other happy go go fantasy rpg imo.
>>
>>52215949
No, you get the bonus for being the 60yo.
All power, both physical and magical, collects in naturally-aged wrinkles. People get more powerful and ripped as they age until eventually their hearts explode from the sheer amount of power welling up within them. Death by natural causes means you were too strong for this mortal coil and busted the fuck out.
>>
>>52215981
>they would nova a lot less than in a mock battle
So what you're saying is that you're worried about your smart party members being smart in the face of combat encounters. Doing the math now but two fighters seems like the could also do a thing. Paladins could definitely keep up with that burst.
>>
>>52215915
>Young scholars don't exist

I wish I could hate you to death.
>>
>>52216067
>young scholars who can cast level 7 spells by killing enough goblins over the course of three months
>>
>>52216067
What does being a scholar have to do with magic?
>>
File: 1469477354525.jpg (135KB, 800x934px) Image search: [Google]
1469477354525.jpg
135KB, 800x934px
>>52215274
>>52215237
The idea is that the great scholars of mystic lore are in exterior demeanor wise, intelligent, often pious men of learning, but in their mysterious mannerisms they often behave more like carrion birds, diving here and there for a mystic secret, and engaging in close-quartered unplanned brawls at the sheer chance of increasing one's power and knowledge of the Art.

Think Ars Magica, pre-Bonisagus, or Discworld style "The plural of wizard is war" concept.
>>
>>52215981
>>52216016

It's not very clear either way.

Similarly, one possible interpretation of using Animate Weapon with the Blade Meld talent is that you're pulled through the air up to 30ft with the weapon that you are fused to.
>>
>>52216098

Because they are generally seen as academic pursuits or are you one of those types who thinks magic is so mysterious that shitting lightning and jazz-handing fireballs out of your dick are equally acceptable ways of doing magic because it's "mysterious"
>>
>>52215847
Thanks for the tip, i'll look into it
>>
File: sorcerers_evoking.jpg (170KB, 305x452px) Image search: [Google]
sorcerers_evoking.jpg
170KB, 305x452px
>>52216098
>>52216078
Magic is an academic discipline. What you are effectively saying is that learning first level spells takes decades but going from first to ninth can take as little as a few months.

Its ridiculous. I would seriously question what the contents of your wizard's spellbooks were, what the actual discipline involved is and what lore was actually required for its practice, because I can draw no real world analogue for an Art in which you learn easier as you age, instead of the reverse.

If I wanted to do your idea [which I think in general is retarded] I would limit high level spells to extremely aged NPCs, while making mid-range magic obtainable by anyone.
>>
File: U wot.jpg (27KB, 294x325px) Image search: [Google]
U wot.jpg
27KB, 294x325px
>>52215915
> Describing things you don't like as "anime"
>>
>>52216141
>arcane magic is an academic pursuit which is why everyone's Wizard character is a young adult who's not currently in school and is off gallavanting about the countryside incinerating rodents for experience points
>wouldn't even touch a book if it wasn't for the part of the class that says "you have a spellbook that you have to copy shit into and read"
>>
>>52216016
>>52216120
Weird does that mean these blades can't be used with anything but augmented weapon?

>>52216038
Noted

>>52216066
You have a good point, but my only concern is that that smart playing Mystic can do better than smart playing Paladin/Fighter. They can fulfill more roles in a party and I worry that it may make other classes less appealing.
>>
>>52215695
A single level 7 Treachery Paladin could kill it in two turns.
Also a level 7 Soul Knife novaing with Lethal Weapon, and Animate Weapon should do 77.5 damage on average. The odds of him doing 2/3 life (100) is 1.5%: http://anydice.com/program/b0cd
>>
>>52216164
>smart playing Mystic can do better than smart playing Paladin/Fighter
This is true of every primary casting class. The smart Paladin will always outplay the smart Fighter, but the smart Wizard or Bard outplays them both. These classes have more options for smart people to do more things with.
>>
>>52215931
Should I just have 2 I feel like if I'm playing a talky character I should have at least one seedy way to get things done (lie, intimidate) and good old persuasion for the traditional approach
>>
I never thought I would turn my back on megaanon, but I really don't like the new look of the mega.
>>
>>52216184
Do you feel this class can outplay the smart Wizard/Bard? Cause from my view It can, it can reach high ACs, have strong AOEs, Heal, have adequate battle control, and deal a sizeable amount of melee damage.
>>
>>52216164
>Weird does that mean these blades can't be used with anything but augmented weapon?
I think Animate Weapon is the only power that becomes a problem if you assume that Soul Knives can't maintain their existence when outside the body or that the " a one-handed melee weapon you’re holding" text disqualifies them. Certainly lethal strike seems fine conceptually.
>>
Starting a new campaign at level 1 with an 18 in wis and a 17 in con, Is 18 wisdom good enough on a life cleric? I want to grab resilent con and warcaster for my con saves and at level 12 i'd rather grab magic initiate for booming blade at will damage. Since i'd mostly be buffing, healing or using spirit guardians i figure constitution would be more important than wisdom.

If it helps the party consists of an illusion wizard, a paladin, and a hunter ranger.
>>
>>52216162
>Learning magic in a school
>Not from a master whose taught you since you were a child, finally culimating in his sending you out into the world in search of new lore

Pretty anime as fuck mate. Stop being such a weeb anon.
>>
>>52216267
Yeah, colors are a bit wonky. Black and white and grey, it just doesn't look good. Sorry, meganon!
>>
>>52216296
Lethal Strike states you need to be holding the weapon. It seems odd, I think I would allow both to be used with these abilities, but maybe not at the same time.
>>
>>52216309
18 is not good, it's great, since you can't get higher than 20 normally. In fact, I would call your stats too good.
>>
>>52216333

You need to be holding to imbue a weapon.
You can imbue and then use it as you wish.
>>
>>52216333
I'd argue if you have a laser sword growing out of your fist it's an unarmed attack
>>
>>52216346
Just to clarify it further.

I do think that Soul Knifes and Animate Weapon should not go together.

I'm also a firm believer that Soul Knife is the most stupid option on the whole class.
If a DM gives you nice magic weapons, they will already be outclassed.
>>
>>52216316

Not that guy but both are certainly doable and should be encouraged. A lot of smart people didn't go to school but still had a great deal of book learnin about them.

If you're a rich with a silver dildo in your ass maybe your mage parents taught you or hired a private tutor.

Maybe you happened upon the book of a dead/dying wizard and learned through trial and error.
>>
>>52214605

My opinion on Artificer is that they're a great base but they need a little work. Both of them feel really limited and simplistic, ESPECIALLY in combat. Gunsmith literally uses the same action and bonus action every turn for damage with a few other situational shots. Exciting. It's in a better spot than Alchemist though who is just so much more inferior than the Wizard.
>>
>>52216385
>break into decrepit, abandoned home as a young'un
>search through stuff
>find the arcane book of a deceased wizard
>it's imbued with enchantments that make the first person to touch it a host to the consciousness of the wizard
>in return, the finder gains all the wizard's spells
>you've now spent years honing the spell under the instruction of your split-consciousness wizard buddy

or is this too anime?
>>
>>52216429
that's actually pretty neat, anon
gives you a lot of room to play around with character stuff
>>
>>52216321
Yeah it's a bit dull.
The MM statblock color scheme was more aesthetic.

Still, I love you meganon.
>>
>>52216429

I don't see why that should be a concern. I had an idea for a Psion who was killed, found the body of a dying kid and was going to possess it but something happened and the soul of the kid and the Psion merged to create a new person with the memories of both people but he'd had to remaster all of his powers.

hell, In one of the Tales Of games, one of the main characters was already max level but got his powers sealed away so leveling up for him was undoing the seal over time to get back the power he already had.
>>
>>52216385
I know, I was making fun of that anon for criticizing young mages as being anime while the idea of a "Magic School", which is decidedly more modern is somehow not.

>note that I think neither idea is anime.
>>
>>52216380
It's shit until 14, then it's pretty comparable with Warrior's quad-attack for average damage done.
>>
File: Oscar_ProfilePic.png (523KB, 579x1047px) Image search: [Google]
Oscar_ProfilePic.png
523KB, 579x1047px
>>52216453
>>52216480
basically this
>>
File: cucumber.gif (169KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
cucumber.gif
169KB, 500x281px
>>52216475
>>52216321
>>52216267
Hear you loud and clear.
>>
Anyone have that list of all of the player race/class options?
>>
>>52216568
That's kind of intimidating.
>>
Is Psionic Assault good or shit? People seems to praise it but I don't see how "Spend resource to automatically do xd8 damage" is any good.

At low level, you're better off spamming talent for 1d10+2.
>>
>>52216634
You use in the same situations you use Magic Missile, when an enemy has been tough to hit for one reason or another, is on the verge of death, or when you REALLY need to break their concentration, but don't have a focus to expend with an incapacitate effect.
>>
>>52216568
What did he mean by this?

>>52216585
Boy, I've got something for you.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Barbarian,
>>
Is there a way for Mystic to get spider climb? I want to make a spider-man...
>>
>>52216693
Slippers of Spiderclimbing
>>
> Telekinetic Barrier is AC 10 HP 10
> Wall of Wood is AC 12 HP 100
> Same Psi point cost, Wood has better duration

Why is this okay.
>>
>>52216693
Bestial Form can give you a climb speed, but it won't let you stand on ceilings.
>>
>>52216693
Look up bestial transformation under bestial form.
>>
>>52216719
The power of trees. But seriously. That wood wall is ripe for abuse.
>>
>>52216722
That only give you climb speed, you still need to make athletic check like normal. Climb speed only let you move at full speed instead of half speed while climbing.
>>
>>52216719
The telekinetic one is invisible. The wall of wood is very visible, and likely easily climbed over.
>>
>>52216649
Thanks. I guess it's okay but not amazing.
>>
>>52216693
Mariner fighting style gives you climb speed.

>>52216750
That doesn't sound right.
>>
>>52216693
Wu Jen can poach 3 low level wizard spells
>>
>>52216038

I think Mystic high end damage is a little weak but I think the combination of those two is so strong it just makes mastery of wood and earth mandatory. It doesn't hurt that everything else in that tree is really, really good.

The disciples definitely need to be balanced a little better. I still want to play one, really badly though.
>>
>>52216774
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/22/is-it-rai-that-creatures-with-a-climb-speed-need-to-make-athletics-checks-to-climb/

Go back to 3.pf if you think climb speed mean auto success.
>>
>>52216783
That might work.
Get a precog for spider-sense
Then brute force for spider-strength.
>>
So, with the wizard poll getting over 100 votes, I'll post this here and then at the start of the next thread.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12466636
http://www.strawpoll.me/12476406
http://www.strawpoll.me/12483412
http://www.strawpoll.me/12492204
http://www.strawpoll.me/12498055
http://www.strawpoll.me/12511533
http://www.strawpoll.me/12527550
http://www.strawpoll.me/12519777
http://www.strawpoll.me/12523063
http://www.strawpoll.me/12532696
http://www.strawpoll.me/12536012
http://www.strawpoll.me/12540480
http://www.strawpoll.me/12544152

This is the last opportunity to vote on these before I make a poll for the favourite archetypes.

Candidate for the favourite archetypes poll must fulfil at least one of the following criteria:
>They must have the most votes in their class poll, or be tied for the most votes.
>They must have at least 20% of votes in the poll.

This way, each class has at least one archetype to represent it and the runners-up also get a shot at being included.
>>
File: whatisthis.png (120KB, 820x1143px) Image search: [Google]
whatisthis.png
120KB, 820x1143px
What did he mean by this? What power let mystic do 10d6 damage??
>>
>>52216881
Psychic Blast 10d8 Damage AOE.
>>
File: 917.png (302KB, 802x786px) Image search: [Google]
917.png
302KB, 802x786px
>>52216494
Mah nigga.
>>
File: ocean man.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ocean man.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
How do I make an ocean man?
>>
>>52216923
Triton is in Volo's
>>
>>52216881
Yeah, I don't like the power level of mystics with the amount of flexibility they offer.

Sorcerers once again getting pushed further and further into obscurity, no less. One of the biggest things they had over wizards was their flexible casting and that took a bonus action.
>>
File: fish.png (870KB, 1943x1831px) Image search: [Google]
fish.png
870KB, 1943x1831px
>>52216923
Triton anything, really.
>>
>>52216907
There's also no attack roll and no save.

Oh, and with level 9's psi points you can do it 8 turns in a row.
>>
>>52216935
Their single target is shit, but the AoE is good.
>>
>>52216951

That deals slightly more damage than the magic missile on average. Wizards can't do it 8 times in a row, but Mystics can't summon Meteor Swarms or rewrite reality, so as far as I'm concerned that's fair.
>>
>>52216952
Ehh... Psionic Blast, Lethal Strike, Augment Weapon, they got options.
>>
>>52216951
Psionic Blast isn't Psychic Blast, one is variable 1-7, the other is 5, and you can buff to 6, the former has no save/attack, the latter is an int save for half.

Stop conflating abilities to complain.
>>
>>52216982

I think a lot of disciplines have abilities that are supposed to be for damage that are just flat up worse than a cantrip at most levels. Why would I ever use Hungry Lightning at level 1?? It can deal more damage if I miss but making it do more than my cantrip also eats up half my PSI.
>>
>>52217001
Oh shit, my bad.
>>
What is the best circle for a land druid?
>>
File: Théoden.png (581KB, 599x434px) Image search: [Google]
Théoden.png
581KB, 599x434px
is a thrown weapon a ranged or melee weapon? Because a spear is thrown, is it ranged or melee? Is it affected by dueling or archery fighting styles? What about sharpshooter feat? Etc. I want to make a roman spearchucker
>>
>>52217056
Grassland because Haste is the best buff, and you also get Invisibility to walk away when you TPK.
>>
>>52217083
A weapon is ranged or melee based on the way it's listed in the weapons table. A dagger is a melee weapon, a dart is a ranged weapon.

If you throw a weapon, you make a ranged weapon attack. If you hit with a weapon in melee, you make a melee weapon attack.
>>
>>52217083
Darts and Nets are Ranged Weapons, everything else with Thrown is melee.

Which also means that, for Faithful Archer manifest from the Nomadic Arrow discipline, one of the two actually lets you use Extra Attack with a Dart, if you somehow pick it up, and the other makes the net even less functional, by returning it to your hand every attack.

Which i find hilarious, you throw a tiny net that flies back to you.
>>
>>52217001
They really need to change one of those names, that's way to similar.

>>52217056
I think Swamp is kind of weak, but all the others seem pretty good. It doesn't make a huge difference either way.
>>
>>52217083
Archery doesn't work for spear throws, dueling does.
>>
File: 1468541203008.jpg (156KB, 601x907px) Image search: [Google]
1468541203008.jpg
156KB, 601x907px
>>52216667
>https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Barbarian,

This is wonderful. Thank you kind mister.
>>
>>52216907
But that is 10d8 psychic not 10d6 elemental
>>
>>52217083
Weaapon property never change.
>>
>>52217134
>Thank you kind mister.
Yeah, you better drop those reddit mannerisms fast.
>>
>>52217083
There are two things.

Melee and Ranged weapons.
And melee and ranged attack rolls.

One is a noun
One is a verb

Melee weapons can make ranged attack rolls by throwing them.
Ranged weapons can make melee attack rolls by using them as an improvised weapon.
>>
One of the strangest things about the Mystic release is that it has a fair number of things within it that seem like they are MEANT to have synergy with other abilities, but really only interact with a single thing that currently exists.

Psychic Assault focus only works with a single talent.
Avatar of Healing only works with a single manifest from an immortal discipline, despite being from the Avatar archetype.
The Thrown part of Faithful Archer from Nomadic Arrow only really works with Darts.

It's just strange, like they build a framework, then had a team make the mechanics without ever bothering to communicate about specifics.
>>
>>52216774
> 2017
> 5 edition
> Still think climb speed and swim speed work like it was in 2000

Get on with the time old man.
>>
>>52216881
>>52217148
Breath of the Green Dragon
>>
>>52217204
Poison isn't "Element" damage, and is also the single worst damage type in the game, which is part of why Poison Spray does uses a d12
>>
>>52216429
Feels like a Seeker Warlock to me.
>>
I've been invited to a game of Oriental 5e and have rolled up a bard philosopher. I'm looking for a few refluffed bard spells and a few words of wisdom for casting them:

>Master Fong says: one arrow in the skull is worth two in the quiver.
>Master Zhae Lu says: Let not even the wisest scholar walk unarmed. The prison shank will come for all men. Thus is life.
>Master Rin says: Fuck off already, I am philosopher, not marriage counselor.
>>
>>52217244
All good. I never understood the a bird in the hand's worth two in the bush thing though. Maybe I'm too bogan for it to make sense.
>>
>>52217244
Look up Fortune Cookie fortunes, attribute their phrases to arbitrary asian names.
>>
>>52217262
It means having access to one thing (a bird) is better than having more of them that you can't use (two birds out in the wild).
>>
>>52217240
I did briefly think that it might overlap thematically, but I think the idea of being granted spells by a patron is different from being taught by a dude inside your head.

Knowing the spells doesn't necessarily mean being able to utilize them, which I think would link to leveling.
>>
>>52217262

You HAVE the one in the hand. The two in the bush you don't.

It's basically 'It's better to have something than to not have more of it'
>>
>>52217236
Isn't like half the monster in MM resist or immune to poison damage?
>>
>>52217244
Confucius say Good for girl to meet boy in park, better for boy to park meet in girl
>>
>>52217272
>>52217290
Well shit that makes sense now. It's a shame I don't have the Ravenlock greentext of raven feature and raven familiar that's awesome.
>>
How many damaging cantrips have a saving throw? I really don't want to use poison spray, it's shit.
>>
File: 1487707918978.jpg (87KB, 718x654px) Image search: [Google]
1487707918978.jpg
87KB, 718x654px
>>52217306
>raven warlock
>>
>>52217313
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.
>>
>>52217313
The day I find out all his power came from the Raven Queen, I'll have a really reason to hate her.
>>
File: 1475915389248.jpg (43KB, 500x427px) Image search: [Google]
1475915389248.jpg
43KB, 500x427px
>use psychic power to drop a 1,000 lb object on someone's head
>8d8 damage
>lift a boulder weighing over 4,000 lb with your raw might, and drop it on someone's head
>1d4 improvised damage
>>
>>52217311
Frostbite
>>
>>52217311
From the top of my head...
Sacred flame, vicious mockery, frostbite, create bonfire
>>
>>52217311
a bunch.
Acid Splash
Create Bonfire
Frostbite
Lightning Lure
Sword Burst
Thunderclap
>>
>>52217361
DC10 dex dave or 0 damage vs attack roll
>>
File: Orcus.jpg (8KB, 174x240px) Image search: [Google]
Orcus.jpg
8KB, 174x240px
>>52217330
>Not already hating the raven bitch
>>
File: singletearofjoy.jpg (25KB, 335x327px) Image search: [Google]
singletearofjoy.jpg
25KB, 335x327px
>>52217361
>ofw instead of nerfing the Mystic into the ground they just nerf it a bit and overhaul other classes to bring them up to that level of fun
>>
>>52217361
your DM is shit, we get it.
>>
>>52217400
My DM is Jeremy Crawford.
>>
>>52217408
like i said
>>52217400
>>
>>52217110

The idea of killing people with a net sounds hilarious. Can you use Speed Dart and Potent Psionics with an improvised weapon? Just throw it as a ball instead of a spread out net.
>>
>>52217244
>American women verrryyyyy compricated
>>
>>52217419
It's a Ranged Weapon, it doesn't need to be improvised, you can totally attack with a net, use Speed Dart to make it deal damage, and still capture people. As far as i can tell, it also doesn't need any special rule to use Potent Psionics, which should also mean that Clerics can already deal damage with a net. Which makes me wonder what kind of "damage" it deals for War Clerics.
>>
>>52215512
>it always involves some act of unspeakable evil
Wrong!
Nice job drinking the demon-shill kool-aid.
>>
>>52217463
I'd say bludgeoning damage. Though you could go full retarded and say the damage has no type which means nothing resists it.

Also playing a Dual-Wielding War Cleric throwing 2 nets a round at people could be fun.
>>
>>52217408
That's what he said.
>>
>>52217488
>Hey, Waldo, you hear about that new lich over in the Deadlands?
>Yeah.
>You wanna go and crusade his ass?
>Nah. He didn't perform an unspeakable act of evil to become an undead abomination. Just your run-of-the-mill arcanist performing totally non-blasphemous rituals for eternal unlife.
>>
>>52217488
If your DM lets you become a lich without doing some really evil shit then he's a hand holder.
>>
>>52217529
>carve a bloody path to the Holy Land
>infidels abound
>DEUS VU-
>oh they seem like swell guys
>deus vacation i guess
>>
>>52217495
>>52217463

It doesn't have a damage dice normally does it? It feels kinda weird to add a bunch of...typeless damage to a net mechanically or flavorfully.

Psychic damage is funny to imagine. You nonchalantly throw a net onto Barbarian the Orc and the experience is so traumatizing he falls into a coma.
>>
>>52217566
Psychic damage isn't just mental anguish
It can also be Force, but pink-colored
>>
>>52217566
This actually reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. What the fuck is psychic damage? Some abilities make sense with how they work but, for example Mind Thrust. I use it at level 1 and kill a goblin in one hit, does he have a seizure? Die of shock? Brain melts? Feels kinda weird.
>>
>>52217529
>>52217531
>they're SO new they've never heard of baelnorns or archliches
wew kid, I bet you believe everything that the evil outsiders that you summon up tell you
>>
File: sad lich.jpg (26KB, 442x444px) Image search: [Google]
sad lich.jpg
26KB, 442x444px
>>52217529
>>52217531
>>52215512

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Baelnorn_lich
A baelnorn could be of any non-evil nature, mainly lawful good, retaining whatever alignment it had in life.

>that feel when you just want to guard your people's tombs for all eternity
>>
>>52217594
I figure they just sort of fall over. It's not like specific medical reasons matter for D&D, just that they died somehow, for seemingly no reason.
>>
>>52217594
Basically yeah, you made a goblin's brain short-circuit long enough for it to die.
>>
>>52217599
>>52217609
I was aware of baelnorns. Dumb as fuck. Totally ruins it.
>>
>>52217609
>>52217599
Yeah, and there's also Deathless, but no one talks about either of those fucks when they mention liches.
>>
>>52217591

You throw a pink sparkling net on a raging Orc Wizard, and he falls into a coma. Sounds like a good time.

>>52217594

That's how I imagine it. Their everything just shuts down. Like holding down the Power key on a computer.
>>
>>52217609
>>52217599
>take an elf
>add undeath
>seriously thinks anyone buys that they're Lawful Good
You can't add Evil to Evil and flip the needle so far into the red that it spins back around.
>>
>>52217610
>>52217621
>>52217635

Main issue I have is because Psionics have no appearance in D&D most of the time.

Mind Thrust is just... Fall over dead with no pain, no aura and no sounds. Pretty awesome though and freaks the shit out of people.
>>
>>52217594
My DM plays it as bonitis.

>>52217650
Previous editions of psionics allowed you to manifest certain lightshows and sound effects to go with your shit.
>>
>>52217594
I always describe it as "your brains come out your ears abd you die." But you could describe it as messing with an opponent's autonomic systems until their heart stops and they die
>>
>>52217650

I wonder if you can see it with Detect Magic?
>>
File: Dwarf Shaman.jpg (380KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Shaman.jpg
380KB, 724x1024px
Looking for good/fun ideas for long and short term goals for my dwarf Diviner.

Last thread gave me good ones, so I'm just asking for more, see if we can start a conversation
>>
>>52217674
Depend on whether or not magic-psionics transparency is on.
>>
>>52217168
>>52217122
this helps me out the most, thank you
>>
>>52217609
It is literally in-universe and out canon that the whole "unspeakable act" to get your soul out is just evil outsiders like devils and demons lying and shilling to trick more spellcasters to the side of evil. Orcus even offers a shortcut that lets you skip some of the ritual requirements if you're stupid enough to swear allegiance.

If you summon up a good ancestor spirit or knowledgeable fey like a nymph then they can tell you how to do the ritual with your own heart and magical skill.

>>52217625
>I totally knew, it just makes me too booty-bothered so I pretend it doesn't exist

>>52217627
>ignorance and pandering to generalised normie fantasy trash is the right path!
>>
>>52217655
Not only allowed, you generally had to have some sort of visual or auditory effect for powers unless you put effort into suppressing it.
It also added some interesting fluff to some powers.
>>
>>52217716
If your DM puts baelnorns in the game, he's a hand holder.
>>
>>52217674
Simply due to the still limited nature of Psionics, I'd definitely have it detect ongoing effects, but it's not like you'd see anything from a Mind Thrust.
>>
>>52217734
>you're having badwrong fun for not pandering to me alone!
>>
>>52217746

Just some weird aura or something could work. There's even a detect aura discipline.
>>
File: psychololis.jpg (28KB, 639x351px) Image search: [Google]
psychololis.jpg
28KB, 639x351px
>>52217730
I started playing a Mystic a few months ago using the Take 10 rules. My DM was perfectly happy to go with invisible, silent psionics, but I insisted on WUBWUBWUB noises, wavy pink circles, glowy eyes, and that transparent limnal fire.

You know. Anime shit.
>>
>>52217762
I dislike the idea of entirely mental and instaneous effects being "seen", it sort of kills the whole mysterious vibe. While something is actively being effected, and when it does physical damage types, i'm totally fine with "seeing" the force in effect.
>>
>>52217748
You can't just use that to excuse any and all shit taste.

>What if you had all of the powers of a lich but none of the drawbacks XD
>>
>>52217789

I just think that if you WANT it it's pretty easy to make it so.

I'd play one either way.
>>
>Player becomes a lich
>Roll a new PC, you get to help me steer where this new powerful NPC is going (spending ages studying, raising an undead army, sucking Orcus' dick, rotting in a Demiplane of Dread, etc)
>Player becomes a baelnorn
>Roll a new PC, your old one will have fun with their new responsibilities as an eternal guardian who is no longer relevant to the adventure
There's not really a problem to be had
>>
>>52217801
The shit taste is yours for multiple reasons.
>implying that archliches and baelnorns don't have drawbacks
>implying that being evil is because of becoming a lich and not because only evil individuals become fucking liches
>implying that insuring when the word lich is thrown around it only means the most vile motherfuckers in the multiverse is a bad thing by adding variety
>>
>>52217594
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-TO-NNR_A0#t=38m26
Mostly invisible, except for the sparkles and lightning.
>>
>>52217873
>implying that archliches and baelnorns don't have drawbacks
They're lacking the only interesting one, which is having to be a horrible mass murderer.
>implying that being evil is because of becoming a lich and not because only evil individuals become fucking liches
At no point did I imply this you dumb fucking goon.
>>
File: Dwarven Medhiv.jpg (27KB, 380x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarven Medhiv.jpg
27KB, 380x600px
>>52217678
Last thread gave me:

> Just as your brethren look for the form within a simple stone slab, so too do you look for answers within the obtuse now.

> First thing that came to mind for me is a Hermit Seer who saw ill portents but did not act on them/share them due to some conflict with the settlement, resulting in the destruction of their ancestral home. Due to the ancestor worship inherent in the culture (or just guilt), the dwarf strikes out into the world to regain the approval of their ancestors by taking aiding folk whenever the opportunity is presented.

> Trying to track down a forgotten Dwarven kingdom because of it's legendary library that contains prophecy written by a master diviner that's supposed to be accurate even today.
>>
How do you usually set up a combo?
>>
>>52217907
Baelnorns serve the gods in guarding their tombs for all time. They can leave it if they have a good reason, but it's at least as good a narrative drawback as "is a bad person xd"
>>
missed the release/aftermath of Mystic UA 3, what's the consensus
>>
Moon/land druid and why?
>>
>>52217980
It all depends on the character you wish to portray.
>>
>>52217244
>Confucius say party is like fish - after three days, starts to stink.
>>
>>52217963
The aftermath is still kind of going on, but some are like "Yeah love it", most think it's OP, and few hate it, and think it's OP.
>>
>>52217980
Moon is stupid powerful.

Land is a shit pizza.
>>
>>52217963
A little mixed.

But most people seem to agree they're not too strong; however, maybe a bit too versatile. That is, able to do a few too many things too well.

There's also a few cheese builds that will let you do some really powerful things relatively early on. I expect those to get ironed out.
>>
>>52217933
There a part of the future he cannot see, so he journey to find it.
>>
>>52217988
Spells are nice.
>>
>>52217262
Having something is better than having the chance for more without the certainty.
>>
>>52218009
Lots of utility to be had in wild shape, especially as more powerful creatures.

The way it's balanced, moon druids are also especially powerful at lower levels.
>>
>>52218009
You still get spells. You just also get to turn into a fucking Killer Whale.
>>
>>52217963
You get a million options, so there's a level of system mastery to the class. Someone who doesn't know what they're doing can potentially fail at this class to a degree you can't really do so with other classes in 5e.

The AoE is strong, the AC is strong, the status effects are strong, the healing is strong, the utility/shenanigans are strong, and the single target nova is okay. But if you don't know what you're doing you'll get meh-okay power at best, and you can also spread yourself thin.

I just like that you can really build-your-own-class with it.
>>
>>52218064
Yeah to me it just seems very out of place. I understand it's an experiment. But a lot of the decisions they made with it go against previous design decisions.
>>
>>52218064
And you just summed up why it's OP.
>>
File: 1405466331914.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1405466331914.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
best fighter UA, go!
>>
I need to roll a new character for a game tomorrow but I don't know what to play. Our party is very caster heavy with 2 bards, warlock, and druid (not sure if land or moon yet)

I rolled well on stats and got: 17, 16, 14, 13, 12, 10. Any suggestions? Using core races only and some UA stuff may be allowed if the DM clears it.
>>
>>52218149
I dunno, but I like the UA mariner fighting style.
Finally I can make a super swimming/climbing monk/fighter.
>>
>>52218149
I'm using Samurai right now even though it's the most boring shit because it just gives me a lot of advantage so I can do 6 turns of GWM nova. I only used Precision Strike with Battlemaster so this is better for that.

It also lets me shrug off damage once in awhile, so it lets me pretend I'm a mini barbarian that can also shoot a gun.
>>
>>52218164
>17, 16, 14, 13, 12, 10
holy fuck.
>>
>>52218164
Just roll a Battlemaster Fighter and have some fun.

Or Eldritch Knight Fighter. You've got enough stats that you could pull it off fairly well.
>>
>>52218164
With a score like that, you would not be wrong as a fighter or barbarian.
>>
>>52217801
>being evil is the only drawback from being a lich
wow, new AND stupid
>>
>>52218164
14 levels Shadow Monk, 6 levels Rogue
Ninja nini
>>
>>52218217
I have never played a Barb. They seem kind of interesting but I feel they might become boring really fast. Especially if my other party members are slinging spells around. Are there any fun builds that aren't Great weapon orc?
>>
>>52218292
No one cares that your dick falls off. Just cast alter self or something.
>>
>>52218304
You could be even more boring by using a shield, and praying the enemy attacks you. But honestly, I've had tons of fun with a Barb, but if acting like you have a big dick, and manhandling everything isn't fun for you, it isn't fun for you.
>>
>>52218304
There sure are. You can always do GWM Dwarf, GWM Human, GWM Goliath, or GWM Bugbear
>>
>>52218304
I feel like the spiritual approach with totems and all make the class feel a lot better. It asks that the DM actually puts a few beasts in the setting, but, for my Curse of Strahd games, it's pretty good.
>>
Along a similar topic (as someone with next to no experience with D&D) what's the strongest martial you could build while keeping DM disgust to reasonable levels? I've heard 5e is among the better editions about caster supremacy
>>
>>52218395
Probably a Variant Human Battlemaster fighter with the Polearm Mastery and Great Weapon Mastery feats.
>>
>>52218395
Variant Human Battlemaster.

It's not even that disgusting, it's just highly efficient at killing things, and if you pick a background you like you shouldn't even stand out for trying to ply an optimal martial.

Alternatively, Paladins are pretty sweet, especially if you're lucky when it comes to crits. Doing critical smites is nasty.
>>
>>52218395
People will tell you about caster supremacy and in a vacuum it's not great. Way better then 3.5e though and in play Casters are normally too worried about wasting slots to burn them doing things you can do for free just to outshine you, no one's that big of a dick.

Every martial is viable except Ranger so if you want to play one ask the DM if you can use the WotC Revised Ranger. Also don't play Warlock, Sorcerer or Monk unless you really want to because they're easy to fuck up if you take trap options.

Also the best classes are Bard, Wizard and Paladin without specific builds like >>52218447 which are really good
>>
>>52218395
>>52218447

Battlemaster fighter also happens to be the strongest martial outside of polearm master/sentinel gimmicks. Variant human is the best for most builds because the extra feat is much stronger than the benefits most races give (yuan ti being one of the few arguable exceptions).

If UA is allowed, sharpshooter fighter is also very strong.

The funniest polearm/sentinel cheese is vengeance paladin. Comes completely online at 7 without being useless before.
>>
>>52218447
>>52218479
I still remember when I first got my 5e book I thought battlemaster's were shit because I misread and thought they only refreshed on a Long Rest.
>>
>>52218491
Like this guy says, if you pick Monk stay away from Way of The Four Elements, it seems cool but it's just disappointment and regret.
>>
>>52218523
>If UA is allowed, sharpshooter fighter is also very strong.
I get so tired of people saying it's "For a game without feats". The whole selling point is combining it with Sharpshooter for a sickening about of damage on each hit.
>>
File: 2x6ZB8Z.jpg (247KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
2x6ZB8Z.jpg
247KB, 1280x960px
>>
>>52218542

Well, feats are (Technically) optional.
>>
>>52218542
If feats ARE allowed, pickup up a Hand Crossbow with crossbow expert is simply better, which makes the Sharpshooter archetype redundant.
>>
>>52214661
I'd add some bigotry against magic users to the mix. Their secretive nature makes people suspicious and jealous.
>>
>>52218536
I think you can have fun with it. But it's gonna take extra work.
>>
>>52218571
So clearly this is gonna end in whiteroom math so what level do we want to do it for? 5? 10? 20?

Lower levels handcrossbow's better yes but once you start getting higher levels Sharpshooter out damages the extra 1d6+10 attack, saves a feat and hell it can even grant a Bonus action attack in exchange for an Advantage attack.

Crossbow expert's really good at low levels, but let's be honest, a hand crossbow's gay and looses damage the more attacks you have.
>>
How do I roleplay an Avatar Mystic?
>>
>>52218620
Read the 4e books "Player's Handbook 3" and "Psionic Power". Ardent is the class to look at.
>>
>>52218395
Polearm Mastery Paladin, Quarterstaff + Shield, Dueling
>>
>>52218672
Get a Charisma based Shillelagh on that and it get pretty freaking good.
>>
>>52218589
It can be but eventually I sat there and realized "all these points I'm spending on pseudo spells, I can spend on core abilities."

Never did get a chance to try the reworked one, campaign fizzled out, could be better than the core.
>>
>>52218620
Completely depends on the disciplines you pick since there's basically no personality to the default Avatar features. I'm thinking about an Avatar using the Fear, and Joy disciplines. Terrorizes the minds of their foes, and soothes the minds of their friends.
>>
So I've been playing a lore bard, just hit level six and I get to choose magical secrets but this is my first time playing dnd and I honestly have no idea what is good.

Should I just pick up eldritch blast for damage? Are there any good pickups for that?
>>
>>52218762
Don't get a cantrip, that's silly.
Look at the big name spells from other casters at that level, that aren't available for bard, for one. Counterspell is potentially game changing if your DM throws casters at you (especially depending on their ruling on counter-counterspells) and Fireball is a potent AoE minion sweeper if there's no good area control in your party. Also check the Paladin and Ranger exclusive spells especially; they're often more powerful or interesting than others of the same level, since normally those classes get 3rd level spells much later. Find Steed can be fun, for example, and Aura of Vitality will neatly clean up any out of combat healing you could need.
>>
>>52218762
There's zero point in taking Eldrtich Blast. People fellatiate over it because Warlock adds damage to it, and you can quicken it with Sorcerer.

Aura of Vitality for healing. You have super healing if you ever take level 7 in Life Cleric.
Haste is pretty much the best buff for an excessive number of levels.
Conjure Animals is good because all summon spells are good, and you don't get any.
>>
>>52218722
I made a waterbending monk that was pretty fun.
Multiclassing with fighter made it so I could do some fun combos with my action surge.

I've also had an idea for making an airbending monk that multiclasses with tempest cleric.
>>
I've just started my first home-brewed campaign after DMing a few published ones. Just have 3 friends playing for now, all started off at lvl one. Idea is they just go out and clear out a Goblin cave for now that ransacked this enchanters home, stealing from him a magical item he was trying to craft. Anyways, once the party reaches the final Goblin, that item activates, shrinking the party to the tiny/fine size category and now have to face off against the Goblin who is now large/huge to them. But now I find myself caught thinking on how to change the stats of someone who shrunk or someone who was now bigger compared to others. Do I just give this normal Goblin an HP boost and a strength? Anyone have an idea so I can make this normal Goblin feel like a threatening boss fight for a lvl 1-2 3 person part?
>>
>>52218571
Did the math

9d6 Hand Crossbow Attacks + 6d12 Battlemaster Dice + 90 Sharpshooter (Feat) damage + 45 Dexterity Damage. That comes to an Average Nova of 31.5 + 39 + 90 + 45 using everything you've got and one Action Surge, 205.5 Damage

8d10 Heavy Crossbow Attacks + 96 Steady Aim + 80 Sharpshooter (Feat) + 45 Dexterity Damage. That's a Nova of 44+96+80+45 using 1 of 3 Steady Aims and 1 Action Surge for, 265 Damage. If it's the first turn with you 18th level ability it's 297.5.

The Sharpshooter can do this twice and then one for half damage. Battlemaster needs a rest or gets one die back each fight.

I'll save the math but without using resourses Hand Crossbow does 92.5 while chewing bonus action and Sharpshooter does 87 without using it. If you get a rapid attack it does 107.5.

At low levels Hand Crossbow's amazing but the Sharpshooter's abilities are amazing the higher level you are.

inb4, no one plays high level.
>>
>>52218888

you can't really multi-class that much because if you do you lose ki points which you use to fuel your shitty abilities.
>>
File: Hobgoblin 5e.jpg (128KB, 560x645px) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin 5e.jpg
128KB, 560x645px
>>52218946
New bread~
>>
>>52218941
Yeah that's true. With the tempest mc it's decent though because you gain some actual spell slots and channel divinity/reaction damage.

And with fighter mc you basically just become a slightly better martial. Normally I wouldn't use a fighter to mc but my dm let me use the mariner fighting style.
>>
>>52218831
>>52218837
Thanks. Yeah we have one person with fireball. Probably wouldn't be bad to have two.

Currently doing Curse of Strahd, so I was thinking that Crusader's Mantle might be good? Radiant damage per attack sounds alright.

But I'll look through more spells.
>>
>>52219006
If someone can do the baseline 2d6+5 (12 total) damage then you need to do 4.8 attacks for Mantle to do more damage than Haste. Not to mention the speed, and AC boost.

5e isn't like Final Fantasy or anything. Nothing really has vulnerabilities like that.
>>
>>52218960
Do you enjoy just killing discussion?
>>
>>52218888
My next Monk is gonna be >>52218299 seems like it can get up to some shenanigans with the ability to teleport through shadows.
>>
>>52219121
We already have haste so this would just be for more smacking of things.
>>
>>52219184
Conjure Animals is pretty much where it's at if you just want to have raw damage.
>>
So, I want to build a bard with an animated band. Either a gnome that builds robot-instruments similar to an artificer, or a necro-dancer with a zombie band ala "Thriller." How do I do it? Is this more of a 3rd edition thing?
>>
>>52219696
Lore bard and take Animate Dead as a Magical Secrets spell. Just flavor them attacking as dancing around and wacking people with instruments.
>>
>>52215464
The Lich in my campaign summoned a celestial and killed him then used his soul to power his tansformation. The celestial's sword is the only way to destroy the phylactery
>>
>>52219696
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbRclMWFcE
>>
>>52219720
That's what I was leaning toward. Either that or having a summon undead item.
>>
>>52219761
That had occurred to me. An electric guitar of Animate Dead. Metal as fuck.
>>
>>52218960
point the way
>>
>>52218554
>that font
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.