[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Armored core game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: 1489524387341.jpg (2MB, 2000x1299px) Image search: [Google]
1489524387341.jpg
2MB, 2000x1299px
oh man, I've finally gotten the courage to run a game myself! and i want it to be armored core.

i can work out the story another time, and encounters are pretty simple, but i need a system!!
>>
There was a thread yesterday with a few systems.

Chromestrike is made for Armored Core style part swapping, but is unfinished. Mekton can run anything, but it's probably the most complicated of the bunch. Battle Century G is pretty good for mechs in general, but IIRC it doesn't support part swapping as well by defaault. There's also Jovian Chronicles that I remember reading but for the life of me can't remember how it was.

I personally ran an AC inspired game in Strike!, but only for one session, I don't know how well it'd work for an extended campaign. Plus it's probably too light for most, and needs some tinkering anyway.
>>
>>52209508
which thread? ill search the archives.

mekton: tried it once, count me out.
strike: I've heard of that before, mostly people saying "stop shilling strike"
haven't heard of the others. thank you
>>
>>52209556

>which thread? ill search the archives.

>>52170725

Battle Century G has a legal free version linked in that thread.

>mostly people saying "stop shilling strike"

My fault, I guess.

Anyway, if interested despite the memes, I can explain how/why I ran it in that.
>>
there is chris perrins mecha rpg that is fairly good
>>
File: Leos Klein.png (185KB, 1562x1532px) Image search: [Google]
Leos Klein.png
185KB, 1562x1532px
You can try LR69. I can't tell you anything about how it runs, just that I read it six-ish years ago and thought it was dope.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Lunar_Reckoning_69
>>
>>52209508
>Battle Century G is pretty good for mechs in general, but IIRC it doesn't support part swapping as well by defaault
BCG guy from the last thread here. Just finished another session of my own AC inspired game with it yesterday.

To elaborate on why I'm using it for AC, it's able to emulate the final product of AC customization in that every mech build is able to be very unique from the others. Even two mechs that do the exact same thing probably won't have the same stat line if they're designed by different people, or they'll achieve their purpose through a different line of upgrades and weapons. You can't get the part swapping half of AC, but it does represent the finished product of customization pretty well.

There's also an upgrade called Frames that lets you swap your stats around between missions or when you're docked at a base. There's a bigger upgrade you can stack on top of that which also gives you access to interchangeable parts on each frame when you switch to them. It's not the full AC experience, but it does help with adding some customization and part swapping to the game, and it's built into the game mechanics already without needing any homebrew. I'd suggest making Frames a free upgrade for AC games.

You have to run the combat with a more dramatic narrative to make it work instead of focusing on tacticool mech combat since the system is designed more about emulating mecha anime. Think more of an AC4 or FA feel (which my own game is based off of anyway) and it needs a heavy emphasis on AC vs AC fights instead of filling battles up with mooks.

>>52209664
>Anyway, if interested despite the memes, I can explain how/why I ran it in that.
Sure, lets hear it. I know nothing at all about Strike except that you need to stop shilling it lel, so sell me on the entire thing.

>>52210821
I keep meaning to read through this one, but the name always makes me cringe and I keep putting it off. Care to try shilling it?
>>
File: Strike!skill.png (163KB, 1015x592px) Image search: [Google]
Strike!skill.png
163KB, 1015x592px
>>52211325
>Sure, lets hear it. I know nothing at all about Strike except that you need to stop shilling it lel, so sell me on the entire thing.

Strike! is a somewhat uncanny mix of narrative and gamist mechanics, with narrative stuff covering most of the skills (basically the out of mech stuff) and gamist mechanics covering the fights when they are needed (basically, the mech stuff).

The skill stuff is very simple, you either have a skill or don't, you roll a d6 (occasionally with advantage/disadvantage) and check a table what happens; it's going to be some combination of Cost, Twist, Success and Bonus.

For example: one of the characters was an ex-corp guy who got almost killed in an accident and became a cyborg, and is now working against his old employer. He tried to snoop around a bar frequented by Ravens to get some info on their current machinations, so I asked for a kill roll. He had no relevant skills and rolled a 3. which is a Twist. He accidentally ran into a Raven who's unofficially still on the payroll of that corp, he got very agitated, and was about to beat up the "machine freak" with his friends, when party member number 2. (a veteran soldier) stepped in with his Dirty Fighting skill and rolled a 6, which is a Success with a bonus. So not only did he wreck those fools without breaking a sweat (or even any chairs), turns out nobody really liked them and he got some renown for it; a short while later all three of them got an email with a contract offer from someone who also dislikes that corp.

So yeah, simple as shit. It was a bit too simple for the players, which I sorta agree with, but I didn't want to play with any variant rules.
>>
File: ArmoredCore-Strike!.pdf (102KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
ArmoredCore-Strike!.pdf
102KB, 1x1px
>>52211682
So, the tactical combat module is separate from the main skill module. You can still use skills in combat for anything that makes sense in fiction and follows somee simple guidelines (a player used his "Squad Tactics" skill to make an ally re-position behind cover).

Strike! combat system is class based. You select a class (Summoner, Martial Artist, Magician, etc.) which gives you your main attacks (fluffed as the weapons/external systems of the AC) and a role (striker/defender/leader/blaster/controller) which gives you all sorts of passive benefits and free-to-use abilities (fluffed as the Core and internal systems).

Attached is the document I sent to the players to help with character creation.
>>
File: accards2 (2).pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
accards2 (2).pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>52211829
Once the players had the ideas for their mech and character down, I printed out the powers of the classes they chose onto cards to make the play and creation in person a breeze, then handed out one of those plastic card-folder thingies to be their "character sheet". You just slot in the cards and done!

This also made the final step of creating characters a breeze, since after picking class/role you still get to choose some specifics. I could just hand out the cards they choose from to streamline it down.

Finally, they got a "tuning" (a refluffed feat) which could be things like extra armor, weapon systems fro ma different loadout, etc. This is basically how the part switching works, you can just spend a tuning to pick up powers from other classes if you got the part from somewhere (you can switch out a tuning for a previous one and you can buy tuning as an upgrade from money after successful missions).

Okay, so combat itself is grid and turn based, quite like D&D. I switched to a hex grid because I feel it fits the scale better, and downloaded a Battletech hex-tileset map thing for maps.

You can pick what sort of move/attack/role action you do, roll d6 for attack (a nice little rule here is that if you miss you get a "miss token" that you can spend to make your next miss into a graze, or a graze into a hit), basic stuff. You got At-will and Encounter powers (refluffed as weapons with a lot of ammo and limited/expensive ammo) that you can use only once a fight. Attacks deal fixed damage, and there's no to-hit/defense value you need to roll against; a 4-5 will always be a hit, a 1-2 will always be a miss, etc.but cover and such can give disadvantage to attacks, while flanking can give advantage. What I'm trying to say is, turns go by really fast once you know what you are doing.
>>
>>52212105
That's the full first level powers list. Also full of filler cards. So probably pretty impossible to parse. And it's shoddy as shit, but I only had like 4 work days to do it.
>>
>>52211325
it has one of the coolest character sheets which makes it look like a mech HUD. Overall both you and your mech have stats, combined together when you are piloting it. Fairly rules light as well although the high school setting presented in the book is weird,
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.