[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

High School Investigation Game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: Murder.png (5KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Murder.png
5KB, 300x300px
Running a High School supernatural investigation game set in small town Montana next september for a new crop of freshers at my university.

Planning and preparation is going well, have a number of plotlines, clues and characters all sorted, what I'm missing is the "How the PCs are together" inspiration.

The town is famous for disappearances, and one of the hooks to keep the players motivated to investigate is that several people close to them (maybe a friend, or a teacher, or parent) has gone missing, and they want to find them.

The issue is, how can I set up a cast of teens from different groups across HS to all meet and work together? A chance meeting in the woods? Something manipulating them all to visit a certain spot at the same time?

Another idea I was contemplating was having the PCs be the members of the school "Eerie" Club, and have them start as friends somewhat.
>>
File: River Demon.png (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
River Demon.png
7KB, 300x300px
Just for fun, some info about the game.

Using a tweaked FATE, with additional mechanics geared towards detective work and legendary skills.

Since this is a setting I've been working on for some time, and I want potentially inexperienced players to have a nice introduction to TTRPGs, I've got a bunch of props and handouts all prepared, fake newspaper clippings, gemstones for soulstones, etc.
>>
>>52208001

Just start the first session with them all in detention a la Breakfast Club and move forward from there. Maybe a weird Silent Hill style mist creeps in while the teacher is out.
>>
>>52208001
Take a look at Breakfast Cult.
>>
File: Enoch.png (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Enoch.png
10KB, 300x300px
>>52208793
This is a fantastic idea thank you!

>>52208811
Looks like there should be a lot of inspiration in this. I will look into it. One of the themes is trying to keep their normal lives as intact as possible, taking a few cues from Panty Explosion Perfect in that regard.
>>
>>52209812
>Panty Explosion Perfect
whoa hold the fuck up, what kind of game are you running?
>>
File: Pia.png (5KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Pia.png
5KB, 300x300px
>>52209849
Just that it touches on keeping your grades, home life, university and not ruining your chances with the opposite sex.

I see the confusion, but this really is more Scooby Doo meets Twin Peaks than anything else. 80s setting also, should have mentioned.
>>
File: Silverwood.png (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Silverwood.png
6KB, 300x300px
>>52209941
Oh and of course, Stranger Things.

The primary antagonist is an escaped and vengeful forest spirit attempting to resurrect her human lover from centuries before. Unfortunately, things ended badly between them, not that she cares, or cares for anyone who gets in the way.
>>
>>52208001

Breakfast Club + NightShift. Could be Detention and Dementia.

Eerie club might be good if everyone is on the same page, but I think it would be best for them to stick to their backgrounds, having to cooperate together because of fate and not choice. Dunno if that's just me, though.

Have the dissapearance involve them somehow is another option. A party where they were kind of related to the person, and due to suspision casted on them, they resolve into investigating what happened.

If all else is not good, have them meet at the cafeteria.
>>
>>52208001
>set in small town Montana
What town

It's not Worden is it
>>
>>52209941
>Scooby Doo meets Twin Peaks
But that already happened in Scooby Doo.
>>
>>52210014
Can I recommend Granite Flats?
It takes place in the 60s/70s (one of the two)
And it has that sort of "Let's do this gang" feel to it.
It starts out somewhat slow, but starts to really take off when later in the show The main character's mom is murdered by a brainwashed man, who was part of a failed experiment taking place in their town, while his dad is off in soviet russia being a secret agent, meaning he has to live with his psychic aunt who occasionally get visions of the future.
>>
File: Tetra.png (3KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Tetra.png
3KB, 300x300px
>>52210036
No, I agree, having them drawn together and develop their friendships over the course of the game would be preferable. Especially as these players likely won't know each other for too long beforehand.

Who exactly disappears will be dependent on what characters the players make, but if they start to slacken up on the investigating or spend too long screwing around then having the possibility of suspicion being put on them as a motivator would work.
>>
no one disappears in montana though
and there is no high school caste system
and it's the #2 suicide state per capita
>>
>>52210123
Also the aunt get's seizures whenever she has visions, and there's a really nice old man who plays matchmaker between two of the kids by tutoring them both in poetry, but he ends up being accused of being a communist spy (Can't remember if he was or not, it's been a while.)
>>
File: Cracks.png (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Cracks.png
6KB, 300x300px
>>52210144
No caste system?

>>52210066
Fictional town with the nearest settlement of note being Conrad.

I went driving around the area on holiday a few years ago. Amazing amount of snow compared to what I'm used to in the UK.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.