[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trail of cthulhu ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

I'm running a Trail of Cthulhu campaign and am looking for good ideas to include. The world is a dieselpunk version of our own in the year 1937.

The investigators are a crack squad employed by the FBI to fight nazi shenanigans (though the actual goal is to claim all their superscience and paranormal stuff for the good old US). Throughout the three sessions so far they have been to Mexico where they tracked ahnenerbe and fought NKVD agents, sealed a shoggoth in an ancient city in Greenland and witnessed the nazis summon a stone giant in Iceland. Now they're on their way to Germany.

It's more of an action packed "anything goes" game than the classic Lovecraftian tales, so crazy ideas are welcome.
>>
>>52197154
There's the Third German Antarctic Expedition in 38? At the Mountains of Madness, now with 100% more Nazis.
>>
File: 1471711970940.jpg (101KB, 736x982px) Image search: [Google]
1471711970940.jpg
101KB, 736x982px
>>52197349
Seconding this
>>
>>52197349
I ran with something pretty close to AtMoM during the Greenland section, with added Gnophkeh encounters.

I should probably mention that I was thinking of making one investigator a double agent for the nazis, but throughout the three sessions pretty much everyone came up with a bunch of ulterior motives for why they're out there. Got a Vatican agent, a jew posing as a nazi double agent etc. So there's a lot of material to work with.
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
You should use Realms of Cthulhu or Pulp Cthulhu instead of Trail of Cthulhu for an action game.
>>
>>52197154
Have you checked out Beyond the Mountains of Madness?

We ran it using Trail of Cthulhu and it went a little off the rails - we ended up starting World War 2 early over access to the City beyond the Miskatonic Mountains.
>>
>>52201670
So far it has worked out pretty well. Also I don't have any CoC books.

>>52203004
As I mentioned above, I did run a segment that was really close to the Mountains of Madness story. Instead of the americans it was the nazis and istead of Antarctica it was Greenland, but the main mysteries and reveals were lifted straight from AtMoM. The group infiltrated the german camp and entered the ancient city. There they learned pretty much the same stuff as the two investigators in the book, bumped into hybernating elder things and finally found the german professor they were tasked with finding, before a shoggoth split them up again. They sealed it in the city with a bunch of explosives and fought a Gnophkeh they woke up. In the end both them and the germans got out of that place as fast as possible after rigging all access tunnels with explosives and sealing the whole thing away (the city was accessed via mining tunnels not a plane).
>>
File: At_the_Mountains_of_Madness.jpg (21KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
At_the_Mountains_of_Madness.jpg
21KB, 267x400px
bump
>>
>>52197154
The team is instructed to investigate a secret meeting between the infamous Occultist and worshipper of the Old One's Aleister Crowley and a group of representatives sent by Hitler.
Aleister is there to propose the use of Lance of Longinus (which is under the control of the Nazi's) as a focusing tool in a ritual sacrifice of thousands of souls to Nyarlathotep in hopes it will grant Germany the power to win WWII.

It's up to the FBI team to discover the plan and foil it before it can be completed.
>>
>>52206539
Aleister Crowley is a great idea to include, thanks.
>>
>>52197154
Check out Achtung! Cthulhu. It really fits your interests.
>>
I once though of running an investigative style Cthulhu game, parts of it could easily be translated. Basically, following the events of The Colour of Outer Space, the US government found that hitting plants with very small doses of the radiation from the meteor has viable mutenatgenic properties, and effective brings about the era of genetically modified hyper producing plants about 30 years early. From all the testing they have done, the extremely low levels of exposure in the plants seems to have no ill effects on the people who ingest it, and the parties stars goal is to stop the Germans from getting the plans of how to produce it. Of course, along the way the party finds out that given a certain trigger (whatever you haven't done yet) the people horrible mutate,or go insane, or start tuning in to frequencies from beyond the world. Up to them to stop it.

Although, this could lead into something I've been thinking about for a while, the next step in lovecraftian horror. Humans have discovered the old ones, our bodies and minds have started changing. We can't beat them, we can't stop them, so that leaves only one solution, take our rightful place amongst them. Could we do it, gain immense power to rival things beyond our comprehension, to become beings that shape all of reality? Perhaps, but the real question is can we do it without loosing everything that makes us human?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.