[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vampires in fantasy settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Books_Regis.jpg (206KB, 786x1134px) Image search: [Google]
Books_Regis.jpg
206KB, 786x1134px
What has been the most interesting take on vampires that you have ever seen or read about?
>>
File: artesia_5.jpg (141KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
artesia_5.jpg
141KB, 640x492px
In the Artesia series, by Mark Smylie, there are warlords referred to as the Isliklidae, said to be the immortal sons of the divine kings or something.

We don't get to hear much of their details (and probably never will) but they appear to be immortal, and get carried around in blood-filled cauldrons, so sounds like vampires to me.
>>
>>52196250
I mean, I think the normal concept has been dealt with very well in books like Dracula.

But I think an interesting take on non-traditional vampires, is probably Fallen London's royal family.
While they are not technically vampires, they do fit most of the stereotypes.
They're mysterious aristocratic dark figures, who bargained with powers beyond their control and gained terrible power, and suffered a terrible curse as a result.

Basically, they're monsters. All of them.Inhuman and incomprehensible gibbering monsters, who consume human flesh as morsels, and drag off carcasses for snacks later.
But social convention, seclusion, and only being perceived through glamour makes them appear human to most.

Everyone hates the royal family, they are traitors and monsters.
But they're the royal family.
>>
>>52196250
I'm still a fan of the Nosferatu clan in VtM
>>
>>52198901

I just googled Fallen London and that's apparently some kind of flash/browser game that ties into the whole Sunless Sea game/
>>
Kain refused the sacrifice .
>>
>>52200746
It predated Sunless Sea. They're in the same crazy gothic/eldritch setting. If you like T.S. Eliot, Samuel Coleridge or Oscar Wilde, or if you've got an autistic fixation on literature written between the eighteen and the nineteen-forties, I highly recommend the games.
>>
>>52200830

I enjoyed The Night Land by Hodgson. Does that help at all?
>>
>>52200857
From what I'm reading on Wikipedia, and what I remember from TvTropes, the settings are not dissimilar.
>>
>>52196250
The Saga of the Noble Dead, by Barb & J.C. Hendee.

Vampires were created by an undead god, so long ago that their origins faded into myth and even most vampires aren't entirely sure what's truth or superstition regarding their powers and weaknesses.
>>
I do vampires as parasites from Hell rather than undead in my campaign setting (I run 3.X with homebrew).

The Vampire is actually two beings living in one body (the Host). The parasitic Vampire creature (referred to as the Host's "Other" usually) lives inside of the torso of the host creature, which is usually a sentient humanoid being, but not always. They rearrange certain bits of the body over time, and live in unison with their Host as more symbiosis than parasitism over time. They always have long extremities, as the new cellular growth from constant regeneration gets sent outwards; it does make them immortal, though. The noses and mouths of these creatures look different, more akin to those of a vampire bat with a cleft palate, as they serve a new purpose now. Their chests give the impression of death, as they no longer draw in breath like a normal person, rather breathing through holes in their torso and neck, which they can also expel gasses through as poisonous clouds or choking mists, or just to leap great distances on jets of air. A stake through the heart is actually a stake through the brain of the Other, although it usually must be done through the side of the torso, as they protect themselves. They can only procreate once as a Siring in their entire existence unless they are a Noble Vampire of some sort, which usually get five Sires. This is accomplished by injection of a larva with the tongue. The Others can all communicate telepathically, and not just with their Hosts. A minute outside of a Host will kill any Other or Larva, and death of either Host or Other is always death for both.
>>
>>52200929

Looking at the summary of who the protagonists are makes me wary of reading this. Is it actually worth giving a shot?
>>
>>52196250
In DEADBOLT, a sort of mashup of Hotline Miami and Gunpoint by the nice boys and girls behind Risk of Rain, vampires are undead who were jilted by their lovers in life. It's unclear whether they killed their exes or themselves over this, but whatever happened they're your problem now.
>>
>>52196672
Sounds more like Fexts.
>>
>>52201098

So how do vampires come up from hell and get into host?
>>
>>52196672
>and get carried around in blood-filled cauldrons
I'm 75% sure that Artesia is daughter of Islik as well because of Urgrayne's secret, her dream and pure shock value
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.