[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the heart of traditional gaming? Is it friendship? Or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: C6-Yft_WkAA1Zqr.jpg (32KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
C6-Yft_WkAA1Zqr.jpg
32KB, 480x480px
What is the heart of traditional gaming?

Is it friendship? Or perhaps competition?
>>
>>52192109
Dunno, but the heart of /tg/ is making pointless threads just to have an excuse to post a picture of a cute girl, so you're right where you should be.
>>
File: Untitledddd.png (680KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitledddd.png
680KB, 1366x768px
>>52192152
>girl

boy do i have news for you
>>
Imagination.

Anybody who thinks it's competition is the cancer slowly eating all tabletop hobbies alive.
>>
>>52192109

It's both cooperation and competition. The term you're reaching for is interdependence.

As for the heart of gaming, I'd say that the real heart is traditional storytelling.
>>
>>52192311
I agree with you, but this statement is going to trigger a storm of autists and ruin any semblance of conversation in this already shitty thread

I think the heart of gaming is a combination of Imagination and Socialization. It's about coming together to do some cool shit with your friends, but having an external system bind you and guide you.
>>
Social dynamics are the heart of /tg/. Cooperative or competitive, mechanical or narrative, the games we enjoy all rely on creating relationships with other people.
>>
>>52192109

co-operation

backstabbing can be fun, but you still need to do it behind the scenes and cooperate in the meantime, also classes

its not the only one at heart but i would argue that its one of the most important ones
>>
>>52192109

Hate.
>>
>>52192109
For me it's friendship. Spending time cooperating with others I'm fond of.

I like proving my character and judging that of my opponents.
>>
>>52192278
>>52192152
Yeah you idiot, that's clearly a heart.
>>
>co-operation

Structured co-operation makes a bit more sense if you think about it.
>>
>>52192109
The dick.
Through dick, unity.
>>
Even in competitive games, you could argue there's an element of cooperation.

You're both there to enjoy the experience of the game, and part of that enjoyment comes from having a challenging opponent. Through working your hardest to win, you create the best experience for your opponent.

At least, that's the theory. The unfortunate fact that in a lot of games the optimal way to play is no fun at all kinda undermines the concept.
>>
>Chess game
>Co-operate with your opponent
>Grasp his plan and do what you can to help him achieve it
>Lose the game

Is this truly the best way to play?
>>
Depends on the setting
>>
>>52192109
Autism
>>
>>52192575
>optimal way to play

Best not to invoke such things
>>
>>52192606

In competitive games, there is always an optimal way to play, the way that most efficiently achieves victory. That shouldn't be a controversial statement.

The problem is when people try to apply that same thought to non-competitive games, or act as though playing optimally is inherently superior to playing casually.

I'm casual as fuck, but I'm not insecure enough to deny that I am playing, in objective terms, badly. But my friends and I enjoy making 'bad' decks, armies or what have you and toying with the rulesets and systems involved in the game, rather than using them as efficiently as possible.

Different playstyles appeal to different people for different reasons. The problems come when one person assumes their playstyle is 'right', or people with different playstyles play together without communicating and understanding the differences, leading to an unsatisfactory experience for everyone involved.
>>
>>52192278
>boy do i have news for you
Is it that you're a memeing retard? Because we already knew about that.
>>
>>52192109
$$$
>>
>>52192405
Good show.
>>
>>52192109
It's talking about problems.

What are you, autistic?
>>
>>52192109
It's all about the cones.
>>
>>52192278
Transwomen are girls too. ^_^
>>
>>52192278
>>52196236
Except you're both wrong that is an actual woman holding a pigs heart for dissection.
>>
>>52192109
It is friendship, but it is, more broadly cooperation. Sometimes cooperation is under the guise of competition, not unlike in a sport, but sometimes it is overcoming the problems as a group, or building the story with your GM.
>>
>>52192109
I would say, for me at least,

Creating interesting characters, allowing them to grow and develop, and interact with a dynamic world, and other dynamic characters.
>>
Tactility
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.