[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 386
Thread images: 24

File: Orc Warlord.jpg (87KB, 776x1199px) Image search: [Google]
Orc Warlord.jpg
87KB, 776x1199px
>New Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana: Traps
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58c9c76c849a

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
>>52186757
>>
To elaborate:
Occluded Mind allows you to make a creature believe one 10 word statement for 2 psi points. The statement must describe the user of Occluded Mind, or someone the target of Occluded mind can see.

"I must kill myself immediately, and Timmy is Psychic" (Timmy obviously being the mystic)

This satisfies every requirement, and against humanoids with bladed weapons, would fairly result in death.

So that means that at level 1 a mystic can kill every humanoid in the game by simply carrying a bag of daggers to hand out to his victims. For 2 psi points, the equivalent (roughly) of a first level spell slot.

All it would have taken to avoid this would be a common condition on charmed spells "the target of the spell can't be made to harm himself". But nope. This was true with v2 of the mystic, and somehow made it all the way to v3.

Is there any doubt now that mearls and crawford are lazy sacks of shit?
>>
>>52191627
Maybe they finally figured out how to make a game fucking fun.
>>
>>52191674
Hey, I agree on some level. But a 1st level spell that kills the vast majority of opponents in the game is so far beyond what any other class gets that interclass balance needs to be looked at.

Let's bring the martials up to the caster's level, then bring both up to the Mystic, if the mystic is to be the new baseline.
>>
>>52191627
What you've written is clearly two distinct statements.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12536012

New poll for sorcerer.
>>
>>52191627
I cast Suggestion and I suggest to the creature that I am targeting that it is immortal and it should display its immortality by slitting its own throat, which is not an obviously harmful action because the creature believes that it's immortal.

Instant kill spells have always existed.
>>
>>52191821
No, that's one statement. It's called a conjunction. It's truth value is true when both halves are true, and false when any one part is false. Therefore, to believe it, you must believe all parts. but it is one statement.

Basic english and logic there.
>>
First time playing open hand monk. How do I do this right?
>>
>>52191627
I agree, just adding a few words would make it considerably less overpowered, and more flavorful.

A massive issue that I have seen come up is detailed in >>52191651
I think an easy way to fix massive AC bonuses would be to make it so that the bonus from Iron Hide only functions until the start of your next turn, like Shield, and to not allow AC bonuses from disciplines to stack.
>>
>>52191861
Immortality isn't invincibility. Slitting it's own throat would still be harmful.
>>
>>52191880
You are impervious to harm and you should show off your invincible nature by slitting your own throat.
>>
>>52191877
One simple way to fix AC bonuses:

Magical AC bonuses don't stack. Only one can apply at any one time. When two abilities would apply, you get to choose which does so.

>>52191913
Now you're running into the problem that the statement is inherently contradictory:

I am imperivious to being harmed, but I am being harmed by a mind affecting spell.

Your suggestion is inherently not reasonable, because reasoning reveals the contradiction. If creatures didn't know they were being charmed, that would help your case, but they do this edition.
>>
>>52191627
Occluded Mind makes a creature believe a statement. It doesn't influence a creature to act on that statement, it acts on that statement according to its own internal logic systems.

Suggestion influences the target to act on the suggestion, whereas Occluded Mind does not influence the target to act on the belief.
>>
>>52191939
Although I could argue that, I won't and I'll just sidestep that issue by altering the wording.

You are impervious to harm, you are not being affected by a mind-affecting spell and you should attempt to kill yourself to demonstrate your impervious nature.
>>
>>52191973
You can always phrase a belief such that a creature will act on it.

Alternatively, Broken Will for 3 points more in the same discipline lets you do the same thing by having creatures slit their own throats.
>>
>>52192001
That's at least 2 additional conjunctives. Technically one sentence, I would argue that it fall outside the intent of the rule limiting you to one or two sentences.

Furthermore, the second the creature feels pain from slicing its own skin, it will obviously realize it isn't impervious to harm, stopping the action before completion.
>>
File: wiz.pdf (515KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
wiz.pdf
515KB, 1x1px
Rate my homebrew wizard.

> planning to remove sorcs from campaign
> planning to apply same spell slot system to clerics and bards
>>
>>52191869
Rise Dex and Wis up to 20
Then you can start picking other feats, p.e. Mobility
Use quarterstaff from the begining
Use your ki points wisely
>>
>>52191627
You're not done autistically screeching about how overpowered giving an orc suicidal thoughts is?
>>
>>52191836
Stone is the coolest one
>>
>>52192052
At first level, it is definitely overpowered, compared to literally any other first level feature in the game.
>>
>>52192049
>Remove sorcerer

Why would you do that?
>>
>>52191836
They killed favoured soul, sure the new one is more than viable but the lore is completely different to the traditional favored soul
>>
>>52192082
At first level you can do it twice per day
>>
>>52192049
Garbage
>>
>>52191627
I'm thoroughly convinced that I should kill myself, but I have responsibilities that prevent me from doing so. What's your point?
>>
>>52192031
As long as it remains one sentence or less, it falls within the constraints of the Suggestion rules. To limit it according to the number of conjunctives is to impose house rules, which could also be done to prevent a creature from killing itself with Occluded Mind or any other discipline similar to Suggestion.

So since we're throwing those sort of house rules out of the window, I'll alter the wording further.

You are impervious to harm, pain is an illusion and is not an indicator or harm, you are not being affected by a mind-affecting spell and you should attempt to kill yourself to demonstrate your impervious nature.
>>
>>52192083
In order to improve the wizard. I am not satisfied with the current spell slot system.
>>
>>52192118
>In order to improve wizard
?
Are you suggesting wizard falls behind sorcerer? because that's a quite funny thought
>>
>>52192118
>reinstating 3.pf style "must max out casting stat or be worthless" bullshit
>improvement
Go away
>>
>>52192104
>I am not under a mind affecting spell
>but the pain I experience is an illusion

Another contradiction.
>>
>>52192118
So at first glance you took the Warlock approach with upping max spell level, then scavenged metamagic. Why not just give sorcerers access to the wizard spell list?
>>
>>52192147
>Implying all illusions are spells
>>
>>52192134
No. I am suggesting that the wizard is not good enough. What i propose is a kind of merge of the two with a new spellcasting slot system.
>>
>>52192118
>max of 5 spells per DAY
Shit homebrew
>>
>>52192162
>Wizard
>Not good enough

Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>>52192147
It's not a contradiction, it's informing the target of its true nature. It is impervious and pain is not an indicator of harm. In addition to this, it is not under the influence of a mind-affecting spell.

And if you were taking 'illusion' to mean 'spell' then okay, I'll remove that wording if you're being that picky.
You are impervious to harm, pain is is not an indicator of harm, you are not being affected by a mind-affecting spell and you should attempt to kill yourself to demonstrate your impervious nature.

We can do this forever, since this one sentence of mine can contain infinite words due to the fact that the rules don't define the constraints of a sentence.
>>
So I was in a table where a dex-based Fighter and the DM were arguing about how throat slitting works.

Fighter thinks that if he successfully snuck up on the hobgoblin and cut his throat, he should've been granted a critical hit bonus (DM did give him advantage though) cause it makes no sense that there's a chance of failure when he grabs the goblin and slashes the throat clean.

DM thinks that it takes away from Assassin Rogue archetypes who have Assassinate as a perk for their class which works similarly. He rules that while the fighter is very able to do just that, he doesn't quite reach the same adeptness as an Assassin Rogue who has learned on the arts of lethally getting the jump on someone with such finesse.

The argument started cause the DM told the fighter to do an attack roll with advantage and the fighter missed causing the hobgoblin a lucky reprieve from death. Fighter felt he should've had that but had dice rolls screw him over (rolled a 3 and a 7)

Who was right? I kinda see where the Fighter is coming from cause really, grabbing someone and slitting their throat should be pretty damn lethal in damage. It was odd he missed esp when the odds were not against him. That said, the DM has a point cause the Fighter doesn't have the perk to do Assassinate like Assassin Rogues do so it's rather unfair if the Fighter got it. He might as well roll Rogue if he keeps doing this.
>>
>>52192172
Do you have a problem with 5 wishes per day?

>>52192155
It's a simpler slot system that may result in fewer spells per day but you can cast the more powerful ones more often. Also, you can use metamagic at will (no spell points). I think it gives the wizard more flavor.
>>
>>52192162
>wizard is not good enough
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good joke
>>
>>52192219
>you can use metamagic at will (no spell points)
ooooh so all this was bait, thank god, for a moment I thought you weren't very bright
>>
Can someone explain how the gunsmith artificer build is good? It seems like it's really not very good at all
>>
>>52192206
The assassin gets critical sneak attack damage out of it, so I'd be okay with it so long as the fighter accepts the possibility that it won't one shot the goblin.
>>
>>52191836
>Stone is racing ahead
As expected.
>>
>>52192246
It isn't, the entire artificer UA isn't salvageable. Stop believing their lies.
>>
>>52192219
>Do you have a problem with 5 wishes per day?
>Implying I play over level 10
Besides, this just show how unbalanced this homebrew is, at low levels wizards will be shit and then gods
>>
File: fightermakeoverv3.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
fightermakeoverv3.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
Here's my rework so far of the fighter class:

Some context: I'm doing this to reinstate the fun playtest mechanics that were inexplicably left out of the final edition of DnD. In some ways, this is to buff the fighter class, by granting it more utility both in combat and out. The goal of this material is to make it so that except for the Champion Fighter, the fighter class always has some interesting options that are arguably just as good as attacking 2-4 times in a turn. If I can get this to a level that I'm satisfied at, I'd like to repeat it for other classes that I think are disappointing.

Namely:

Sorcerer, Barbarian, and Monk.

If those are successful, I would like to continue the efforts to rebalance classes generally around per turn type resources, rather than per long rest/short rest. Spell slots would still exist in this context, and be balanced around short/long rests, but each class would gain access to more spell like features that are often available, such as the Circle of Dream's teleportation.

All that's a long way off though, here's the fighter makeover so far. I appreciate any criticism you can provide.
>>
>>52191862
"I must kill myself immediately, and Timmy is Psychic."

These are two unrelated independent clauses.
Subjects are: "I," and "Timmy."
"must kill myself immediately" is a predicate
"is Psychic" is an adjective phrase.

They are utterly independent, each fulfilling the requirements of being a statement.

", and" is certainly conjunctive, I'll agree; it is grammatically incorrect to use here, however.

Your attempts to shame me with "Basic english[sic] and logic there." makes you look foolish.
>>
>>52192162
>I am suggesting that the wizard is not good enough
>>52192219
>you can use metamagic at will (no spell points)
Stop.
>>
>>52192242
Metamagic at will is actually a good idea, but it would need to be limited to the sorcerer class, not merged into the wizard class.

>>52192274
A statement can be conjunctive.

A and B is a conjunctive statement. Replace A with whatever, and b with another whatever. You still have a conjunctive statement
>>
>>52191869
Mobile is your feat of choice, combining it with flurry of blows and a wood elf means you never have to get hit by a melee attack
>>
>>52191627
I believe I should kill myself, yet them too scared to die so I haven't yet.

Checkmate
>>
>>52192100
Thank you for knowing better than
>>52191627
>>
>>52192274
>>52192292
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_conjunction
>>
>>52192246
I played it for 8 levels, the only decent thing in combat was my mechanical servant
>>
>>52192162
You do not belong in 5e. Go to 3.pf instead.
>>
>>52192292
Metamagic at will is not a good idea
>>
>>52192292
>Metamagic at will is actually a good idea, but it would need to be limited to the sorcerer class, not merged into the wizard class.

I proposed this modified wizard because i want to remove sorcs from my campaign. I don't plan to have both of them use metamagic. I think that wizards should the be masters of magic.
>>
>>52192313
I'd love to have a robo giant octopus
>>
>>52192246
same damage as a rogue
>>
>>52192206
Was the hobgoblin sleeping? If he was unconscious or paralyzed, that means any hit is a critical, but you still have to roll to hit. Essentially, if he missed despite having advantage, it meant his target somehow avoided having their throat slit. He grabbed the fighter's wrist at the last second, or put his own gauntlet-ed hand in the way, something like that.

Besides, even the Assassin has to hit his attack to make it a critical. If an Assassin had snuck up and rolled a 3 and a 7, they would've missed too.
>>
>>52192321
One metamagic at 3rd level, one at 10th and one at 17th. With 5 slots (max) per day it's not overkill.
>>
>>52192338
But can be cone, line, burst, etc
>>
>>52192345
>When I say at will I mean 5 times per day
>>
So I'm bringing firearms in my campaign since as time progresses, tech does and my players had a hand in the founding of this tech (they didn't create it but they helped the inventor of smokepowder tech with a pretty long adventure) so in time, firearms will be slowly popping up in the campaign world.

I'm not bringing something like the Gunslinger of Mercer's but just the firearms themselves as written in the DMG. With that, I was wondering if it's sound to put in the "Misfire" mechanic? I mean, with firearms being new, I'm sure it makes sense that the tech they'll get will be unstable.
>>
>>52191627
If you blatantly exploit the rules as written without any regard for logic, almost every open-ended spell that influences another creature's mind can be used to convince that creature to kill itself. The only difference is that it's harder for some spells than for others.

Literally all it takes is a DM to say "no, that's silly" to shut this down. Yes, this UA should've been written a lot better but a little bit of basic oversight from the DM is all it takes to shut down manipulation of the RAW.

So all you're doing is providing evidence that this article is poorly written.
>>
>>52192330
>muh god-tier wizard
Fuck off.
>>
>>52192316
>When you use 3.pf as a insult but haven't played anything prior to 5e
Also stop.
>>
>>52192361
>3 times at level 1
>4 at level 4
>5 at FUCKING LEVEL 8
>>
>>52192370
Look at the concluding line of the post you've quoted.
>>
>>52192206
Mechanically, it's reasonable to let that sit in the Assassin domain.
The diceroll caused a failure, you or the Fighter may imagine that grabbing an unaware creature closer and stabbing them may be very easy, but something went wrong in the process; either you, the Fighter, or the DM must imagine/narrate a failure. The goblin's skin was slick and its neck slips out of your grasp, the goblin accidentaly drops a coin in the moment and picks it up, there's an unexpected thick layer of jewerly on the goblin's neck, blocking the attack, use your imagination.
>>
>>52192393
Yeah, they're lazy sacks of shit but Occluded Mind will never, ever be used to make a creature kill itself, ever.
>>
>>52192376
>as an insult
Where is this implied? He wants strong wizards, i'm pointing him somewhere he gets strong wizards without having to overhaul.
>>
>>52192381
That's not at will, you said at will and people called bullshit rightly.
>>
>>52192381
>3 level 1 spells at level 1
>4 level 2 spells at level 4
>5 level 4 spells at FUCKING LEVEL 8

Is that so bad when mixed with metamagic?
>>
>>52192410
I guarantee you it will be in some online game somewhere.

Your argument that "the DM can fix it" is vacuously true and not helpful. Technically the DM can fix all of 5e's flaws by switching to 4e.
>>
>>52192330
>I think that wizards should the be masters of magic.
I think that wizards should be the IT guys of magic, dumbasses who think their ability to learn some rote code gives them deep insight on the functioning of the universe and every science they know nothing about.
>>
>>52192292
Compound statements need to have related ideas. To have unrelated statements in a single sentence is grammatically incorrect, and the compound should be split in two. You are arguing the wrong point.
>>
>>52192437
Go back to /4eg/.
>>
>>52192369
Despite what fantasy nerd would like you to believe early firearms were actually reliable if maintained properly.
>>
>>52192369
Misfire mechanics are retarded.

Immediately inventing even matchlocks right after gunpowder is also retarded. It took centuries to get to that point.
>>
>>52192440
No, they don't.

Again, see basic logic.
>>
>>52192417
>That's not at will,
yeah

>you said
I am not that guy
>>
So with the mystic, what needs to be fixed before it gets published?
>>
>>52192520

The mystic
>>
>>52192520
Just clear writinhg, it's good as it is. Maybe add extra attack to Immortal and SoulKnife orders.
>>
>>52192520
It would be more efficient to ask "what doesn't need to be fixed, and is ready for publishing?"

1. The formatting.

That's all I got.
>>
>>52192520
Too much versatility, able to get 31 AC from a low level, and fiddly, poor wording on things that creates 150+ autistic posts
>>
So I've been asked to run a game for some newbies, but online.

I've never done it online before, but I thought I'd bite.

is my best option roll20
>>
File: 1676416164.jpg (11KB, 265x297px) Image search: [Google]
1676416164.jpg
11KB, 265x297px
>"hey anon join the 5eg discord, it's not so bad"
>check it out
>mfw the general chat

It's literally 5eg except everyone DM-anon is a tripfag flaunting their perception of what an ideal DM is about.
>>
>>52192520
For starters, and if you read this and the previous threads, the suggestion like disciplines.

Also, is just me or this class isn't very multiclass friendly? I know as it's right now you can't multiclass because it has no prerrequisites or whatever, but even ignoring that you get almost no sinergy from other classes, similar to what happens to monk
>>
>>52192567
>31 AC
>low level
Really, as far as I know you need Shield proficiency, a discipline from Immortal and a discipline from Wujen
>>
>>52192583
The discord is garbage and I will continually refuse to put it in the OP
>>
>>52192520
Wording and balance, for the most part. Too many disciplines are very poorly defined and require DM oversight.

Provided you have a sensible DM that provides appropriate oversight and moderation of balance, it's already playable.
>>
>>52192619
And lots of psy points
>>
>>52192567
>two stats at 20
>disciplines from 2 specs
>before level 12-16
>>
>Mystic will be the worst class because people overreacting to it now are going to ask for huge nerfs
>>
File: vore.png (15KB, 325x134px) Image search: [Google]
vore.png
15KB, 325x134px
>>52192642
>implying i wont just use the old Mystics by then
>>
File: 1654164641346.jpg (56KB, 380x288px) Image search: [Google]
1654164641346.jpg
56KB, 380x288px
5eg discord was a mistake, lads
>>
>>52192583
You should have been there for the White Knights vs. Spurned White Knights: the Tranny Revealed episode a while back.
>>
>>52192642
It always happens and the fact that they're psionics and grognards hates them also increases the amount of complaints
>>
>>52192625
Discord has some useful tools linked, i'll admit, but if anything those alone should be linked and the channel itself dropped and left to rot.
>>
>>52192642
Balancing dnd must be difficult since it's co-op as opposed to competitive
>>
>>52192642
Maybe with the loud shit flinging, we'll shift ourselves into the universe where Mearls and Crawford are fired, to be replaced by someone competent?
>>
>>52192666
>they're psionics and grognards hates them
>psionics have been in from the start
>but its the grogs that hate them
>not the muh generic european fantasy idiots
>>
>>52192638
>implying you need anything other than Dex

See >>52191651
>>
>>52192666
For the millionth time, neither fourries nor threeaboos count as grogs.
>>
>>52192457
"I must kill myself immediately, and Timmy is Psychic."

This is a compound statement with two unrelated assertions. Logically this is sound; grammatically it is not. In common use, it would be best generally to split the sentence into two complete statements. In addition, as to why it doesn't work here is that the power asks for a single statement. A single independent clause could fulfill that requirement; conversely, a compound sentence is by definition multiple independent clauses.

Were I your professor I'd request that you migrate to another course immediately.
>>
>>52192703
Pretty sure all muh european standard fantasy are grognards, anon
>>
>>52192638
It can be done at 9th. Hell, you can do 30 AC at 8th
>>
>>52192715
Fourries and thereaboos as a group don't hate psionics, anon
>>
>>52192705
20 Dex means at least 8th level
You don't have shield proficiency so that means either a feat (no rise bonus on stat) or a level in another class. So now we're talking about 9th or even 12th level

Not low level at all
>>
>>52192715
Psionics was present in every version AD&D 1e. The only time that they were not present in D&D was OD&D; I can't even be positive that they weren't.
>>
>>52192740
>implying
plz, the loudest crying about psionics came about in 3rd edition. The loudest crying about how bad 2e psionics were also came in 3rd edition days from people who apparently can't read a fucking description.
>>
>>52192728
>8th level is low level
Just saying that most games end at 11th level
>>
>>52192715
>>52192740
fourries are pretty decent guys, it's the threeaboos who ruined martials, and are in the process of ruining psionics.

>DnD should be realistic for the martials, grounded for the psionics (which is code for "nonexistent"), and awesome for the wizards.
>>
>>52192786
They were in fact present in OD&D. The only time they weren't present was in the brief time between the publication of the Mind Flayer in strategic review and the finalisation of the rules before OD&D came out (and Mind Flayer had psionics)
>>
>>52192804
Thank you for the clarification.
>>
>>52192789
That's because:
1. People had more access to internet at that time than previous that time
2. Just because complains are done during the time of 3rd edition doesn't mean it isn't done by followers of previous editions
>>
Is a caster-class academy setting (i.e. Hogwarts feat. Sorcerers, Wizards, Eldritch Knights, Arcane Tricksters, etc.) sensible without falling on its ass? At least with this system.
>>
>party warlock casts hex on knight miniboss
>chooses Strength
>knight now has disadvantage on Str ability checks

Does this mean he has disadvantage on attack rolls with his warhammer?
>>
>>52192270
Looks fun, I really like your remarkable athlete fix. Will try to play with it if my DM is cool.
>>
>>52192819
Followers of 2e came from the edition where people had Darksun and Planescape, both awesome settings with heavy psionics use. The most hated part of psionics was psionic combat, not psionics themselves.

"Disintegrate is OP" is something that would have made most 2e fans laugh given that there was a 5% chance of frying yourself, 50% chance of failing, and you needed nearly straight 18s to cast it before level 7-ish.
>>
>>52192832
No, attack rolls arent checks
>>
>>52192832
No.

It doesn't affect saves, either.

It's only disadvantage on skills and miscellaneous tests that use strength.
>>
>>52192681
The problem is making sure everybody feels valuable rather the demigod wizard and his faithful companions. The easier they make it for the DM to insure that everybody is enjoying the game about the same for the most amount of time, the better design.
>>
>>52192866
>>52192856

Wow, Hex is a lot worse than i thought then.
>>
>>52192832
What? No. You're mistaking modifiers with saves. He'll suffer if you say, put a block in front of him that he needs to push.

Ideally it's meant to work with your spells that use ST checks. For example, Fireball is a Dex check. You throw a Dex Hex on the enemy. Now they really can't escape. Not a lot of spells work against Strength though. If it's damaging, it's usually Dex or Con. If it's a debuff of sorts, Cha and Wis.
>>
So a few questions.

1st: What actual advantages does a sorcerer provide over a Wizard
2nd: Exactly why would you pick a Land Druid over a Moon Druid
3rd: What is your advice on making Fighters Mechanically exciting instead of "I roll to attack" as they currently are now.
Lastly: Is it me or does the 5e community seem much more hostile to the idea of homebrew and expansion than previous editions?
>>
>>52192896
There are 3 (three) kinds of d20 rolls

>checks
>attack
>saving throws
>>
>>52192896
Still great damage at higher levels with multiple EB hits.
>>
>>52192896
It's still good for damage (+1d6 per hit, that's it per ray of eldritch blast for example to potential +4d6 at 17th level) and for helping the tripper or grappler of your group
>>
>>52192830
Depends do the people you play with want to be back in school for some reason?
>>
>>52192919
1. Metamagic, not much else
2. If you like spells and not being a furry
3. Don't be a champion
4. Homebrews are shit
>>
>>52192907
Those are saves. Hex won't help with those. It's ability check debuff is near useless and I imagine simply there for flavor
>>
>>52192919
>1st: What actual advantages does a sorcerer provide over a Wizard
Twinning

>2nd: Exactly why would you pick a Land Druid over a Moon Druid
Short rest spell slot recovery and a better spell list than Wizard

>3rd: What is your advice on making Fighters Mechanically exciting instead of "I roll to attack" as they currently are now.
Play a fucking Battlemaster, one of the UA battlemaster variants, or an EK
>>
>>52192919
1) oh boy this question. Let's just say Metamagic, Sorcerer points and perhaps better archetypes.

3) that's what fighters do. Eldritch knight opens the door to haste shenanigans at least. There's a reason they get score improvements every 2 levels. They're boring, but they can do everything. Just blandly.
>>
>>52192950
Wow really? Well then whoops to that.
>>
>>52192919
We aren't hostile to homebrews, is just that the average homebrew is shit because the one making it doesn't know the rules very well, doesn't know existing options might already do what he wants to add, doesn't know it isn't balanced. Rules in have been done (I want to believe) under a consensus of people who know very well the rules, homebrews seem to be done 99% of the time by a single dude with little knowledge, those are ingredients for shit cake
>>
>>52192983
in D&D*
>>
5e loves refluff, not homebrew
>>
>>52192950
Pick wisdom to drop the target's passive perception by 5. Situational, but damn impactful when it's needed.
>>
>>52192830
Eldritch Knights and Sorcerers are jocks
Wizards are nerds
Arcane Tricksters are goths
>>
>>52192947

I guess the idea is that they're aspiring magic-users from around the globe and there's this super elite magic-user academy in the world and they want to get in. There's no age restriction so even a soldier who has shown some form of arcane acquaintance can join in. Anyone can get it as long as they pass the grueling entrance exam which probably has a very low-rate of passers.

It's still rough but my players seem all for it and I could use a small-scale setting where every year there's this mystery around after doing campaigns that take place in large regions with overland travel and kingdoms. My only concern is that with how tiers of play are in 5e, there's an expectation when you reach a level bracket esp when they reach say level 5 where the powerful spells start coming in like teleportation circle and shit.
>>
So my group has lost his main front combat damage dealer and he refuses to roll a new one (he's going to pick caster and stay behind) rest of players don't want to change their chars either so I think I'll step front and do one. Can Mystic be a front combatant and fill that place?
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>52192955
>Short rest spell slot recovery and a better spell list than Wizard
>better spell list than Wizard
>>
>>52193076
Immortal or Soul Knife.
>>
Whoops, repostain

>>52191579
>>52191507
Monk has extra attack (Two grapples/shoves) + a bonus attack (So even if you shove/grapple you still deal damage, problem is you can't sneak attack with that), they have a fast speed (To drag enemies further when you grapple them and then move) and rogue gives expertise.

Though you can use the dodge action or stun someone after grappling. Actually, do stunned enemies have problems resisting grapples

Then there's monk synergy like wisdom+dex being good (High passive perception rogue and dex, and up to 20 AC rather than 17)

... In the end, the barbarian still has +10ft speed and honestly is probably better.
>>
>>52193076
Why do you NEED a front line characeter?

If you really need one then draft one on the fly using buffs and the dodge action or whatever. But otherwise all back-liners can work brilliantly, especially with things like warlocks.
>>
Is there a good multi-class for a Bard primarily?
>>
>>52193196
Paladin for Strength, Rogue for Dex, Warlock for Spells. Basically that covers everything.
>>
File: Auipi77.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Auipi77.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>52193196
>>52193234
>rogue bard

transcend skill checks
>>
>>52192896
> a lot worse

You meant to say 'slightly less great'.

Its main effect is the damage per hit, and that's excellent.

As for uses for the ability check disadvantage:

- Targeting Strength as per your example would make the knight vulnerable to Grapple or Shove if they'd rely on Athletics. Same if used on Dexterity.
- Speaking of Dexterity, if used before combat, it'd impose a disadvantage on the target's Initiative check.
- Reducing passive Perception has been mentioned. Besides slipping past enemies, this can assist say a Rogue using the Hide action in combat to gain advantage.

Also, while usually spells immediately call for saves, which aren't affected by Hex, sometimes the ongoing effects require a check in order to break free - for example, Entangle requires a Strength save or you're caught, then it's a Strength check in order to break free on subsequent turns.
>>
>>52193296
How would you stat Mike "the one man 4th Reich" Stoklasa?
>>
>>52193114
>oh noes it doesn't blast and doesn't have a way to blow spell slots to make up for the fact that he's too much of a wuss to use a shield and proper fucking armor

Bite me, wishfag, druid has always had the superior spell list
>>
>>52193234
I would argue Fighter/Bard also works for dex if you want a frontliner bard rather than the skill monkey to end all monkeys
>>
File: 1409885651000.jpg (49KB, 375x821px) Image search: [Google]
1409885651000.jpg
49KB, 375x821px
>>52193151
Fighter+Rogue/Bard, Barbarian+Rogue, and straight Valor Bards are all better grapplers than Monk+Rogue.
>>
>>52193373
>Roll a persuasion check
>30
>Ok you convince the king to adopt you and make you next in line for the throne

Bards are fucking ridiculous sometimes
>>
>>52193296
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGLnsNPQcls
>>
>>52192919
>mechanically interesting fighters

Please look at this and tell me if it's interesting to you.

>>52192270
>>
>>52192520
There's a lot of clarity issues, like the beastial claws action and darkness duration.

Otherwise there need to be some better rules for stacking discipline effects because it's too easy to get huge AC boosts with the class.
>>
>>52191627
Occluded Mind is a fun ability but shit like that wouldn't fly at any sane table.

I use it to get enemies to run away, disarm, or attack their allies (if there's some recent event that might raise their ire enough).
For example, our Ranger crit a minotaur with a sharpshooter arrow and took out a huge chunk of its HP, then it lifted a giant rock. Its goblin mage ally began channeling some spell. I made the minotaur believe the goblin was responsible for striking it with a magic arrow, and he dumped the rock on the goblin instead.
Then there was the gnome riding on the back of his giant robot; I made him think the robot had overheated and was burning hot, so he hopped to the ground and the stabbing commenced.
Made another enemy believe that his mechanical hand was about to explode, so he spent a turn fiddling with it to try and stop a bunch of nothing instead of smashing our Fighter into the ground.

It's like a flavorful daze or more open-ended Command.
>>
>>52193398
Yeah no. For all the shit I say about heroic fantasy, that's mostly for physical checks. You still have to be reasonable for interacting with other assholes, either regular or superhuman. I don't care what you roll on your skill check with the king, he's not going abdicate the throne to you. Over multiple days worth of skill checks you could convince him to leave the throne, and with good enough political maneuvering you could put yourself in position to take it but even then, its still coming down to me rolling a table and all you do is improve your chances.
>>
>>52193373
Yes it is also a choice but the expertise the disengage dash hide on BA sneak attack for your attacks and, if you are crazy enough to imply someone can get this high, level 11 Rogue has Reliable Talent, any roll of 9 or lower is treated as a 10 when you roll a skill you are proficient in, So your stealth checks are now minimum 23, all make flat bard/Rogue a very excellent choice.
>>
>>52193452
Yes I was kidding, it wasn't a very good joke but I wasn't serious.
>>
>>52193473
I would go for a 50/50 split on Valor/Thief (in a typical table, probably B6/R4 or B8/R2 though), fighter would more be for a Valor dip unless I felt safe that I could do Battlemaster 5/Lore 6 and still have more than one or two sessions at that power level.
>>
>>52192454
Magic can get you anywhere you want. One of the chief barriers to the improvement of firearms in reality was poor metallurgical and machining techniques, plus general resource scarcity; most D&D settings are already way beyond the reality of our medieval capability in terms of metalworking.

My setting has magical gauss guns having replaced gunpowder weapons within a century of the former's invention. However, both weapons are relatively shit due to their being somewhat new, so they're statted pretty much the same as crossbows. People who can afford them just like the gauss guns because you can keep that shit loaded all day instead of fumbling to string your bow or nock a bolt when some beastie drops on you. Also, they make scary CRACKACKACK noises that frightens peasants.
>>
>>52193452
Calm your autism.
>>
>>52193497
I apologize, tone is hard to convey over text.
>>
>>52192681
>>52192642
Leave Mystic largely alone, but tone down a few powers that are clearly power creeped versions of older shit (e.g. Inertial Armor)
Fix boring-ass martials like Fighter and Monk in PHB2
>>
>>52193503
Exactly, a fighter dip could be nice if you really don't like using cantrips. But if you are going for a skill monkey to the extreme, rogue bard generally makes the best.
>>
>>52191836
>Draconic this low at 1 vote

Well since Stone sorcerrer came out it did stop being the best melee sorcerrer.
>>
>>52193516
It's cool man, what's sad is I can see a DM actually going along with it because reasons.
>>
>>52193355
>druids
>proper armor
pick one
>>
>>52193533
Draconic just plain isn't good. It doesn't convey either the elements or dragons very well. Sorc needs an expanded spell list to add flavor.
>>
>>52193504
Oh yeah, I agree generally that the settings tend to push way beyond what metallurgy should be available given the lack of guns (but I admit it's possible for gunpowder to not be there).

A bit of irony; the best placed people originally to make guns and cannons? Bell founders. That gave (western) Europe a really unexpected leg up due to the annoyance of church bells turning out to teach a ton of interesting foundry techniques.

A muzzleloader is pretty much a weaponized bell.
>>
>>52192520
Making it into a d4 class that uses spell slots.
>>
>>52193504
I do the DMG rules for guns but, because most are gnomish magitech rather than pure machine like some inventors are working on in setting, they fail in anti-magic fields and need to be reworked if dispel magic is used on em. Due to high magic setting, damn near every big event has several abjurers there in case some wannabe Gavrilo Princep comes up.
>>
>>52193196
>>52193234
Don't forget one level dips into Stone or Dragon Sorcerrer for unarmoured bonuses.
>>
>>52193619
>I put in guns but I made them completely useless because I can't fathom a fantasy setting based on classics like The Three Musketeers or Cyrano
Cancer
>>
>>52193672
Not him, but I put guns in but made them largely useless because it's a western setting and everyone needs guns but why would anyone wear armor or have a sword if there's guns and swords and armor are half the fucking game
>>
File: 1364070226972.jpg (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1364070226972.jpg
2MB, 2000x2000px
Hey famalam are there any Megadungeons like Emerald Spire or Rappan Athuk that you would recommend for 5e out there? I kind of want to run a brainless combat heavy game.
>>
>>52193672
>completely useless
Bitch do you think anti-magic fields are just randomly placed in the countryside? Do you think a single abjurer can stop several coordinated gunmen? Caravans try and get on more guns than abjurers because they know there will be more bandits than they can afford abjurers to handle. Crossbows and longbows still exist because free trade isn't exactly common so most people just can't have them plus munitions easily.
>>
>>52193700
why would anyone wear armor of have a sword if there's an english longbowman?
>>
>>52193717
5e kids dont play megadungeons, just railroad stories
>>
>>52193727
Because most people aren't professional soldiers who would go up against the longbowmen trained from birth of an enemy nation and so they run around with fucking knives to stab peasants or swords and armor to deal with the goblins who could swarm a bowman.
>>
>>52193700

Because I play D&D to wear armor and wield swords.
>>
>>52192206
Unless players want the DM to have goblins sneak up and slit their throats they shouldn't try this
>>
>>52193740

I'M AN ADULT!

I want to fight dragons inside of dungeons like my forefathers did.
>>
>>52193750
Because most people aren't professional soldiers who would go up against the gunman trained from birth of an enemy nation and so they run around with fucking knives to stab peasants or swords and armor to deal with goblins who could swarm a gunman.
>>
It's surprising (actually not if you're not autistic) how muddled in genre D&D is, if you think the game is only for running medieval fantasy you're a fucking literal retard.
>>
To Megaanon, would it be feasible to include the stats for the named NPCs without a full statblock in your excellent tool-kit?
Like Harshnag, etc.
>>
>>52193727
>fantasy game full of orcs and dragons
>why doesn't everything work 100% exactly like real medieval times
a better question would be why does anyone wear armor or have a sword when pointed sticks exist
>>
>>52192999
No. Uncreative Fucks like refluff. Homebrew varies.
>>
>>52192370
No, it only proves That Guy is an autistic retard.
>>
File: ;^).gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
;^).gif
2MB, 500x500px
How hard is it for you fuckers to have guns that just shoot smallish musketballs instead of pointed bullets? There, guns exist, they're good, but decent armor can take the force of the blow without breaking.
>>
>>52193398
>Thinks this is plausible for persuation.
You are bad at D&D
>>
>>52193842
Name one good homebrew.
>>
>>52192919
Regarding homebrew, I think it has something to do with 5e being very not modular, everything is just sort of thrown in and out where it is for not much reason because the d&d team is fucking terrible at developing a game.
>>
>>52193853
Not how guns work.
>>
>>52193872
Binder
>>
>>52191862
Stop being a stupid shit, you're being a manipulative asshole.
>>
>>52191428

Why is it always a man getting dominated in this kind of art? When's the last time we've seen a woman getting defeated or "owned" by a man/monster?
>>
>>52193872
hopefully this! >>52192270

Please criticize me.

Some other examples:

Wot4e Remastered
Mercer's stuff
the Lovecraft Druid
the Fungus Druid
>>
>>52193383
>Fighter-Rogue/Bard
Little reason to use strength, and I don't see them having any special gimmick aside from action surge and a third grapple at level 11. Except maybe cutting words.

>Valor bards
Eh, nothing special to put them above. Except spells. There's probably spells to help with grappling.
>>
>>52193512
DM with good reasoning and ability to create a challenging but fun scenario in which the PC gets to work towards his otherwise silly goal
>Autism
No anon, you are just to retarded for this hobby.
>>
>>52193894
Because all the ones with the woman aren't appropriate for a christian imageboard.
>>
>>52193770
>Not fighting a dungeon inside a dragon

Pleb
>>
File: 1489174881712.png (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489174881712.png
75KB, 800x600px
>>52193867
See >>52193497
>>
>>52192556
The extra attack is stepping on what martials do.
>>
>>52193788
>This
>So much this
>>
>>52193853
Do the ff12 style. Guns ignore all armor, but they're weak as hell.
>>
>>52193898
I like the remarkable athlete fix.
Not sure if improved critical is a good use of your superiority dice.
Makes battlemasters significantly less unique. Maneuvers are fun though so I don't mind.
Not a fan of changing short rests to "10 minutes without fighting".
Don't particularly feel that eldritch knight needed any fixing myself.
>>
>>52193887
I don't trust 50 pages of homebrew to be even remotely balanced.
>>
>>52193890
That is one fine conjuctive statement.
>>
For creatures like Tiamat, they should always deal maximum damage and get their divine rank to saving throws (the 5e equivalent), skill checks, atk rolls and/or proficiency.
>>
>>52193872
Any of dozen that I or my players enjoy.
>Fight me!
But I will admit a disturbing amount is... unnecessary.
>>
>>52193996
The class and archetypes aren't even 10 pages, it's just that Binder needs a Vestige list to work. Can't release Wizards without their spell list, so can't release a Binder without the Vestige list.
>>
>>52194049
Tell that to all the people complaining about the 28 pages of Mystic UA.
>>
>>52194042
What dozen do you or your players enjoy?
>>52194049
More content, more chance to fuck it up
just like the mystic
This is why full class homebrews are the least likely to work.
>>
>"celebrities" play DnD game in front of crowd of hundreds to thousands and online audience of MILLIONS
>Don't read rules, don't read character sheet, don't know what to roll, umm and ahh and quibble about what to do

Fuck you Morgan Webb you stupid bitch
>>
Wizards is actually doing good design work with the mystics, it's ensuring the game and games mechanics don't become stagnant.
Also keep in mind the class is a mechanics test bed.

To those who don't like mystics, that's your perogative but don't ruin the class for others.
>>
>>52193853
My guns fire "boltlets" that everyone calls "bullets" because boltlet is awkward. They're pinky-sized wooden pegs jacketed in lead. Not very heavy, and they don't come out that fast. They won't always puncture armor and it's not like they tear through a man, either.
>>
>>52193872
Way of the Knife Asshole
>>
>>52194083
>local autistic child has a fit over people having fun
>>
>>52194111
That is a refluff.
>>
>>52193853
>There, guns exist, they're good, but decent armor can take the force of the blow without breaking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQfcRLT18IY
>>
>>52194111
The class rewrite is amazing, but to call it homebrew is stretching it.
>>
>>52192270
Rolling more dice is not giving the class more utility in and out of combat, nor is splitting the Maneuver list because reasons.

How does this Fighter deal with magical anything? Not an uber wizard, but a basic magical effect, like being planeshifted or facing down a curse? Or fuck, figuring out what the thing they need to stab is?
>>
>>52194133
Daily reminder that an AR500 steel plate stops AP/API 5.56 fired from anything at point blank range.

Armor has beaten conventional guns. Problem is no one wants to lug it around all the time. Not a problem in a fantasy world where
a) magic makes shit lighter or you stronger
b) your adventuring job all but ensures you're gonna fight something every day
c) you're rich as shit and can afford it

This ain't reality where real soldiers weren't kitted out in oodles of armor because the military couldn't afford two million breastplates and you saw combat maybe for maybe an hour a day in a group of thousands hurling rocks at each other every 10-20 months and didn't feel like lugging around all that shit the rest of the time.
>>
>>52194111
This
>>
>>52194205
Thus begins the magical arms race of making guns better to beat the body armor that you use magic to make efficient. You can't just assume guns and bullets wouldn't also get the magical treatment. Because I'm pretty sure a bullet enchanted to not fragment and fly faster will punch through AR500 like my dick through your mum.
>>
>>52194083

Critical Role is probably the only "celebs play DnD" show that I tolerate and even that it has some pretty "what?" moments when it comes to rules. I'm not a rules lawyer so it doesnt' bother much and Mercer does a good job guiding the cast in esp when you have Liam also supporting the reigns.
>>
>>52194083
Critical Role
>>
File: Crab Men.pdf (177KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Crab Men.pdf
177KB, 1x1px
Posted yesterday about a homebrew race of crab men. This is the more or less final result. Thoughts? I rolled up a fighter for shits n gigs at my current party's current level (8) and he gets pretty crazy with two weapon fighting, but not ungodly (although you can pump his AC to about 23 with plate mail and the right feats/fighting styles.)
>>
>>52194111
To any who think that's homebrew, you better be fucking trolling.
>>
>>52194083
Here's a (You) so you don't kill yourself over the meaninglessness of your non-life.
>>
>>52193700
>why would anyone wear armor or have a sword i
I don't know, ask people in the 17th century why they went around with swords and still wore breastplate and buff coats
>>
Reminder to everyone who wants to be an autist about reskinning crossbows as guns: a realistic heavy crossbow should take 10 rounds to reload and a longbow should be fireable every other round at best.
>>
>>52193990
>improved critical
I've got to run the math again. DPS wise, it's probably the best, since it's the only dice option that improves damage.

>short rests to 10 minutes without fighting
I'm not married to this concept. I can probably move most of the features back to short rest, since keeping superiority dice on an every turn cooldown is enough utility, and every subclass has some nice options for out of combat stuff now. I think.

>eldritch knight.
I started off just trying to remove what I thought were arbitrary limits, like only one weapon bond at a time. I may have went a bit overboard, so I'll review and get back with an updated version.

>>52194193
Could you elaborate on this?
>>
So I'm fairly new, how retarded would a meleeish Minotaur warlock or sorc be?
>>
>>52194193
>What are skill checks for
Wizards who don't take arcana are just as fucked.
>>
>>52194422
For the Bow it would be every round, English longbowman were not pussies, and could murder people in droves very quickly. For crossbows it depends on the kind of crossbow, and how it was made/ it's design. Most of the modern changes, to both weapons, were just to make the draw weight lower not change how the weapons work.
>>
>>52192660
Oh man, please tell me the story
>>
>he's not ripped enough to yank a crossbowstring back
Yeah, and realistically it would take five years to reload your cap-and-ball revolver. Longer before the advent of caps.
>>
>>52194441
Warlock could work, they're the best straight caster class for that kind of thing.

Sorc wouldn't work. They're too weak to really take a punch.
>>
>>52194441
Hexblade minotaur would probably work well
>>
>>52194542
Please, don't bring any of this cancer into this thread. There's a reason 4chan is an anonymous board.
>>
>>52194441
Hexblade warlock/stone sorcerer is your bet. That is, if your DM allows unearthed arcana.
>>
>>52194542
Someone lied about being a woman and was found out. A good chunk of the discord left after the ensuing shitfest.
>>
>>52194441
Do a War Domain cleric. You can Shove people AND attack using War Priest to give yourself advantage. Plus it lines up better with your stat boosts.
>>
>>52194542
Basically there was a tranny, only nobody knew it was a tranny. The morons who thought they were going to get laid felt betrayed when it was found out, and the morons who thought they could still get laid and didn't care if there was dick involved defended it.

The Discord is filled to the brim with morons, so the ensuing fight overtook everything.
>>
File: Magical Portal.jpg (148KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
Magical Portal.jpg
148KB, 800x500px
Do you people even use different planes or the DnD cosmology?

I don't know about you but I think fantasy settings are a lot more interesting when you go with the more mythical places being in the world just at rare and hard to reach spots. Like if you go to the tallest mountain then you might be able to climb up into heaven, or if you dig deep enough you might hit hell.
>>
>>52194648
You mean nobody, or like 15 people, don't blow it out of proportion, quite a few are part of both because of some fucking shit DM/homebrewer named c0re, who's extremely dickish with his Mega link to roll20 tokens and shit.
>>52194612
The cancer has always and will always be here.
>>52194715
Also true, glad I missed it and can just leech.
>>
File: astral dreadnought.jpg (111KB, 634x480px) Image search: [Google]
astral dreadnought.jpg
111KB, 634x480px
>>52194726
I love building cosmologies and reading about planescape, but none of my games have ever gotten high enough level that we actually go to them.
>>
>>52194740
Stop posting any time.
>>
>>52194726
I often have it so there are certain Areas in which at certain points various dimensions collide with the Material plane.

I ran a campaign which I actually based off the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games in terms of the "Zone". The difference being it was actually a Planar Demon trying to forge his way onto the Material Plane. By the time the PC's figured out what was going on they were already trapped in Hell and had to try and escape it.

Was pretty fun.
>>
>>52194726
I did a campaign with an overworld. The planes were all connected so you could walk from mechanus to the nine hells. It was interesting. I had it all circle a huge mountain that reached impossibly high into the sky. At the top was sigil.

Surrounding the continent was an endless ocean, where I refluffed the far realms as the darkest depths of said ocean.
>>
>>52194726
I'd like to, but my group wouldn't take it well.

>whoa DM, you're saying if I climb this here uh mountain, i can get to the heavens?
>*holds up spork*
>could I start sending stuff to the heavens?
>like mexican immigrants?

I'm exaggerating, but not by much. They don't do serious roleplay well. I think.
>>
>>52194726
I'm doing a setting heavily inspired by Planescape so the gate towns and Sigil are there (along with other places like Manifest) but if you're (un)lucky you can just find a tear in reality to some other nasty place in the multiverse. You dig deep enough you're going to find tunnels to the elemental plane of earth.
>>
>>52192832
Hex dex -> fireball
Hex wis -> hold person
Hex str -> have the barb/fighter grapple him
Hex int -> illusion
Hex cha -> banish/charm
>>
>>52194824
Saves aren't checks. Fireball and hold person won't be affected.
>>
>>52194548
>>52194625
>>52194571
I'll look into Hexblade, it looks like exactly what I wanted.
>>52194675
It has to be warlock or sorc due to "reasons". I don't care to much about it being optimal I just wanted to make sure that the build wasn't completely gimped, but thanks.
>>
>>52194473
lel, no
English warbows were not "medieval machine guns" and english longbowmen did not fire every 6 seconds.

They also didn't "murder people in drove very quickly", unless you call 15 charges at Crecy "quick"
>>
File: 1454276539194.png (175KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
1454276539194.png
175KB, 480x368px
>tfw your character is high charisma and has mostly charm/suggestion type spells and your party spends the last 3 sessions inside a dungeon just sticking pointy bits of metal into monsters
>>
>>52194726
I run Eberron.
A couple sessions ago, the players had to journey into the Gloaming within the Eldeen Reaches to defeat a monster that had emerged from it, a few weeks before the plane/moon's maximum coterminous point. They stepped through an ancient standing stone, looked up, and could see the stars from a different perspective and Eberron above them.
>>
>>52194726
Yeah, but like hell my players know that yet.

They've got a system where every kingdom has a large crystal, that can be shaved off for smaller crystals for towns outside the capitals to use, and smaller shards for magic channeling. The crystals are being used to level up characters as well, and they just go with it.

They don't realize yet that the crystals aren't Godly or anything, like they think. It's just that their continent is so remote from the rest of the world, they haven't been discovered by the dominant continent with Magitek. Those magitek crystals are engine debris from a Capital-sized Airship collapse.

They'll find out when they get to the Elven King, and find out he's gathering shards to try and power a mini-Airship made out of cobbled together blueprints and Gnomen tech.
>>
>>52194953
Wouldplay/10
>>
>>52194935
Had the same problem. 19 Cha Actor Feat Warlock, every NPC for three out of game months was a gruff overpowered character who didn't give a shit what you think, or a nobody who didn't care either and if they did had no impact on being able to better our situation.

Swapped that shit for a Wizard and moved on to a better world. He is now an NPC in my campaign.
>>
>>52194935
Try to charm the monsters. Get jiggy with it, as the kids say.
>>
>>52194935
Why aren't you charming the monsters
>>
>>52194953
>our magic is actually ANCIENT SUPER TECHNOLOGY
My favorite kind of campaign, bro.
>>
>>52194999
>>52195003
>Charm monsters
>Attempt to recreate the Thriller video

As a DM I'd be ok with this
>>
>>52192919
1-Don't care
2-Don't care
3-BRING BACK THE FUCKING DICE FOR ALL MARTIALS REEEEEE
Yes.
>>
Can my Hexblade weapon be the weapon I use the Pact of the Blade on?
>>
>>52194999
>>52195003
Fighter in the party has a grudge against goblins, orcs, gnolls, etc and he kills them the instant I charm them.
>>
>>52195003
>>52194999
I mean, this is the shit I do as a Fighter with 8 Cha.
Bribery doesn't give a FUCK about Charisma or skill checks. You give an ogre 20 gold and promise him cows, he'll do whatever the fuck.
>>
>>52194935
Anon, all this does is give you a long period of high stress and possibly emotional moments, with the only available targets being your party.

If they're not all plotting how to get you to agree to a harem that was totally their idea by the time you leave, you're not doing it right.
>>
>>52194953
Stealing this somewhat. Fucking awesome idea man.
>>
>>52192728
You can get the 'passive' (2 points per 8 and 1 hours) 24 AC by level 5, and have 23 AC at level 3. That's with 20 Dex. 16 Dex is 23 AC at level 5 (with an ASI on dex), and 21 at level 3.
>>
Ignoring what the given disciplines actually do, do you think the system Mystic uses for disciplines can be balanced? That is, choosing a few packages that contain a few spell-like abilities?
>>
>>52195069
>If they're not all plotting how to get you to agree to a harem that was totally their idea by the time you leave, you're not doing it right.

I wish the bard in our game was this creative.
>>
>>52195015
Kind of, yeah. The best part is that the other continent isn't dead or anything, just wrote that off as an Amelia Earhart kind of thing.

The only reason this continent hasn't been found is because the other, more advanced continent has it's own problems and wars, plus a little bit of godly intervention. Small stuff, like masking the player continent with magic that plants a suggestion in people's minds that nothing is in that direction. If someone was to really try and find it, it would happen, but no one cares enough to explore when they have to deal with problems at home.
>>
>>52194997
That's my exact same build and situation, although I have had a few moments where I am able to make use of my persuasion spells, typically it's interrupted/foiled by the rest of my party just wanting to run in and kill shit.

I really like my character and their story but I'm seriously considering just asking my DM if I can roll up a Wild Magic Sorcerer and have my current character leave the party to become a potentially hostile NPC.
>>
>>52195095
I think so, yes
It's funny people say they're so versatile when they have at best 10 disciplines (realistically speaking 5 or 6) and that's 5 effects per discipline, for a total of 25 effects or spell like abilities.
>>
>>52194726
I want to get into a situation where I have a dying teammate, and I decide to use planeshift to send him to Ysgard. He dies there (poison maybe), but gets reborn due to how the plane works. You die on Ysgard, you come back on Ysgard.

Then it would be up to the rest of the crew to find him
>>
>>52194726
>Do you people even use different planes or the DnD cosmology?
Yeah. For example, if you get up high enough, you enter the Astral Sea. Doesn't matter where you go from or how you do it, be it in an airship or by climbing a mountain.

The most noticeable aspect for mortals is that other planes will regularly overlap with the prime material. There's a celebration in many parts of the world whenever the Material crosses over with the Feywild, since you can do shit and basically nobody will remember it. Elves don't really give a shit about it though because they're immune to that effect.
>>
>>52195164
Not to mention that it's not like you level up and get a new discipline and suddenly gain five abilities. Until you're level 9, each discipline is only doing 2-3 things for you. Your psi power cap limits what you can do.
>>
>>52194726
The DM of my group had the moon rise out of the ocean, and we had a shopping day at this cool festival. You bought stuff with memories, and it was all random loot ranging from a permanent stat boost to flavor items like a lute that plays and distorts emotions, rather than sound.

Pretty cool stuff. Although I permanently lost the use of suggestion
>>
>>52195277
That sounds fucking amazing.
>>
I'm planning on making a wild magic sorcerer, but I have no interest whatsoever in multiclassing or melee. How's Shield, Mirror Image, Blink, and Greater Invisibility for defensive spells? Is that the right amount or overkill?
>>
>>52195316
Shield always.
Blink can be useful at times but with the other three it's not needed.
Greater invis always.
>>
>>52194890
I don't think they were machine guns, and when I said murder droves of people very quickly I meant cloud of arrows style, Crecy had an estimated 5000 longbowmen firing arrows, and it was probably only 15 shots each because ammo. Who won that battle again? oh yes, the English.
You can get a proper shot off with a longbow every 15 - 20 seconds easily when you're not really aiming, maybe every thirty if you're trying for a specific shot.

Now if you want to get BTFO some more, keep posting, you retard.
>>
>>52195316
Blink is shit, just use mirror image,
Shield always.
Greater Invisibility maybe.
>>
>>52191877
Does Iron Hide stack with Defensive Step?
>>
>>52195277
>You bought stuff with memories
That sounds like a really cool concept. How did it play out mechanically? I'm guessing based on
>Although I permanently lost the use of suggestion
casters could sacrifice spells known, but what about martials?
>>
>>52195397
50% Chance of not being targetable is pretty good to me.
>>
File: reaction.png (49KB, 314x63px) Image search: [Google]
reaction.png
49KB, 314x63px
>>52195488
>>
>>52195397
>Blink is shit, just use mirror image,
Mirror image protects you from 3 and then stops. Blink can protect you from 5 (statistically) and also prevents you from being AoE'd etc.
>>
>>52195564
So yes, because Iron Hide last until the end of your next turn.
>>
>>52195389
>15 - 20 seconds
So every two to three rounds you Yorkshire cocksmoker.
>>
>>52195389
I'd say it's more like every 10-15 seconds if you're pacing yourself, with much less than 10 additional seconds for aiming properly.
>>
File: tenaciousd 07.jpg (58KB, 350x236px) Image search: [Google]
tenaciousd 07.jpg
58KB, 350x236px
Could use some advice on a possible encounter next session. My party is going to meet up with an enemy glamour bard in a tavern. He's going to challenge the party to a musical duel, and win-or-lose, their battle will summon a demon who wants to devour their souls. The tavern they're in starts to burn, as a tear in reality gives way to a rippling portal to the demon plane.

Is this sufficiently metal enough for a Bard duel? And what should the stakes be for the initial musical duel? Like for each failed check, should more demons appear in the later battle or what?
>>
>>52195618
It also works with itself.
>>
>>52195757
Does it? It last until the end of your next turn so I would assume you could not use it until the end of your next turn.
>>
>>52195389
>15-20 seconds is one round
5e rounds are 6 seconds you moron.

>get btfo
kys
>>
>>52195756
Wow, I've watched that movie too! Upvoted!
>>
>>52195790
You get your reaction back. If you get hit before the end of your turn it just adds the AC you pay for on top. The rule talking about buffs not staking is under the spell section, and only specifies it relating to spells, not other effects.
>>
>>52195554
>>52195592
Blink needs concentration, so no, it's not 50% as you can lose the spell if you get hit.
>>
>>52195791
You can absolutely shoot every 6 seconds as long as you don't intend to keep it up for very long.

t. anon who has actually shot bows
>>
>>52195839
>failing concentration checks
>>
>>52195839
Blink doesn't require concentration.
>>
>>52195889
>spending concentration on Blink instead of something more useful
>>
>Nomadic step
nnnnggghhh
>>
File: genius_wat.jpg (36KB, 490x488px) Image search: [Google]
genius_wat.jpg
36KB, 490x488px
>>52195911
>spending concentration on blink
What did he mean by this ?
>>
>>52195832
That seems odd that you can get a +14 to AC by stacking two Iron Hides I don't think I would allow that in my game. You should be able to stack Iron Hide and Defensive Step though because they are different abilities activating at different times.
>>
>>52192576
Roll20 is best bet
>>
>>52195643
I was about to say this
>>52195844
because no bow that you use in 5e is used the way they were used in a longbow formation they are used straight on not arced. Max range straight on is roughly 150- 200 yards maybe more if you're particularly strong, arced it's 300-600 yards not necessarily accurately. firing straight on you can fire much faster than one arrow every 5-6 seconds, at most 3 or 4 arrows in one 5e round, it is just very tiring on your arms.
>>
>>52195981
So when you have 38 AC for the purposes of opportunity attacks and 31 AC off of your turn it's odd, but using it off of your turn to still have 31 AC both on and off your turn is totally fine?
>>
>>52195021
>BRING BACK THE FUCKING DICE FOR ALL MARTIALS REEEEEE

Basically a shared resource for martials to parallel the shared resource of Spell Slots for casters.

All martials get Martial Dice that they can use on class-specific maneuvers: Dirty Tricks (Rogue), Savage Blows (Barbarian), Combat Maneuvers (Fighter), Secret Techniques (Monk). Each have their own gimmick: Dirty Tricks do little damage but can be activated after a successful attack as a bonus, meaning they're easy to use. Savage Blows are called strikes made before an attack as a high-risk-high-reward play, so they can be wasted. Combat Maneuvers are diverse (and Fighters can pick more of them), allowing for varied approaches. Secret Techniques are quick attacks done with Bonus Actions or Reactions, and can be augmented with Ki points.

You gain more Martial Dice as you go up in level. Some maneuvers are gated by level and/or Archetype. Choosing an Archetype gives you certain maneuvers unique to that archtype automatically.

The main way I would make martials feel distinct from casters is to make Martial Dice a per-encounter power. You get one per encounter and can regenerate it in-battle via class-specific methods.
>>
>>52195807

Wow, you got my reference? Awesome, I hope the picture helped!

I'm not trying to be clever you dipshit.
>>
>>52196088
No, they should bring AEDU back to martials
>>
I was thinking Immortal would get an improvement for unarmed attacks seing they got unarmored AC but no...weird
>>
>>52196120
AEDU?
>>
>>52196086
Yes thats odd, because your saying im able to cast the same buffing spell while that same spell is active.
>>
>>52196144
Why does Immortal get the shit unarmored defense and a Discipline gets the 14 + Dex one that does allow a shield?
>>
>>52196202
Something something trap option
>>
>Immortals get heavy armor proficiency
>SoulKnives get the 10 + dex + con AC
fixed?
>>
>>52196116
We can tell, especially since you genuinely believe it's worth actually doing.
>>
>>52193135
Isnt SK more like a rogue/ranger?
>>
>>52193398
This is like the
>I roll to disguise as a guard
>nat 20
>you convince yourself and live the rest of your life as the guard you impersonated
Meme
>>
>>52196312
SK isn't too tanky but he can deal some fucking damage.
Especially if that +4 isn't actually a typo and is actually supposed to be +4.
>>
>>52196312
Not really? I mean, a well built SK is going to nova more like a rogue that uses a resource and/or can have ranger-esque utility but the SK archetype itself is just about a single psychic damage weapon attack that become super accurate at level 14
>>
>>52196172
4e's resource system.
>>
>>52196440
Nope, it was shit, kidding, but i disagree they need to find an new way or use the Martial dice idea, to do it right not re-use crap from 4e.
>>
File: Blade.png (43KB, 363x281px) Image search: [Google]
Blade.png
43KB, 363x281px
So does this mean that if I roll a Hexblade warlock with Pact of the Blade the silver greatsword is my pact weapon? If so what kinda of damage does it do normally is it simply just a silvered greatsword? Is it consider a magic weapon or can it benefit from the "Improved Pact Weapon" Eldritch Invocations
>>
File: Jeanne.jpg (135KB, 672x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Jeanne.jpg
135KB, 672x1000px
>>52193452

Some skinny peasant bitch took the King into a side room and when she walked out she was basically supreme commander of the war, so...
>>
>>52196512
>supreme commander
She was an extremely useful morale piece, especially for a losing war, but she barely did any actual commanding.
>>
>>52196506
Hex Warrior
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with medium
armor, shields, and martial weapons. In addition,
when attacking with a melee weapon that you
are proficient with and that lacks the twohanded
property, you can use your Charisma
modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the
attack and damage rolls.

Reminder that this does not work with Curse Bringer because it is a greatsword
>>
Why are the yakfolk such pieces of shit.
>>
>>52196274

Betting your soul on a performance is an ancient trope. There's nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>52196432
They nova like a Fuck but they arent tanky so why would you do it if you have a party full of pussiant casters
>>
>>52196247
Wait SK didn't get heavy armor did they wtf
>>
y does no1 ever respond to my shitty pet project homebrew
bait format question but serious butt hurt. how do u attract anons to your posts.
>>
So is Halfling the best race for Soul Knives if you're likely to reach level 14?
>>
>>52196625
Not denying that, but tenacious d is garbage and so is Jack Black.
>>
>>52196689
Make one that isn't pants on head retarded most likely or the exact opposite who knows.
>>
>>52196689
>how do u attract anons to your posts.
you gotta spice it up anon. some fireworks, maybe a little music too.
>>
New thread.
>>52191921
>>52191921
>>52191921
New thread.
>>
>>52196710
So, never
>>
>>52196798
I feel sorry for whatever games you play. We normally get to level 10 fairly fast and then the game slows down to a crawl but we normally get to 18-19.
>>
>>52196592
I'm aware I'm >>52194441 making the Minotaur hexblade. Are you saying that using Curse Bringer isnt worth it?
>>
>>52196650
Well, if you don't mind being mildly cheesy you can go 1 fighter / X Soul Knife and combo Tunnel Fighter and Giant Growth. Giant Growth combos OK with the Mystic Nova'n anyway and lets you threaten a 15ft radius with psychic stabs at the cost of choosing Giant Growth as your focus, spending 2 points for Ogre Form, and using your bonus action for tunnel fighting. You also get heavy armor and action surge as side-benefits.
>>
>>52191627

If there's enough butthurt about it, it'll get changed with the surveys. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take much of a pass at the disciplines just yet to push out the first version of the full class.

I think it's close to publishable mechanically.
>>
Is there a monster that deals thunder damage? I can't find one.
>>
>>52196977
>>
>>52196506
It's a greatsword. You know what it does.

>This invocation doesn’t affect a magic weapon you transformed into your pact weapon
This refers to the section of Pact of the Blade shown in the image. Pact of the Blade either lets you create a mundane melee weapon, or transform a magic weapon into your pact weapon. Improved Pact Weapon works with weapons you create using Pact of the Blade, and specifies it doesn't work with things turned into your pact weapon (which is different from creation).
>>
File: tranform.png (46KB, 306x61px) Image search: [Google]
tranform.png
46KB, 306x61px
>>52197082
Forgot my image.
>>
>>52195277
Dude, I'm totally stealing this for my campaign
This is giving me a great Irem/Isle of Cats vibe from Sunless Sea
>>
>>52193517

Inertial Armor is fine. I think a few of the disciplines could use some buffs here and there too. A lot of the damage is on the very very low end.

Unless you abuse Psychic Strike cheese.
>>
>>52197382
There is nothing called Psychic Strike, and almost everything has a similar name. What are you talking about?
>>
>>52195277
I don't really like that idea.

Too arbitrary. While the idea of using memories is kinda neat, it seems a bit much that it turns into a character blender where characters enter, get butchered and have stuff tacked on, then leave again without any real story reason other than 'Eh, magic shit.'

That said, the magic item is brilliant and the concept is pretty great if you're a fan of the higher magic stuff.
>>
>>52197424

>There is no Psychic Strike

My bad. lethal Strike is the one i was referring to. Specifically the idea of action surging a bunch of attacks out and using Lethal Strike with all of them.

i think the damage is real but I don't know if think it's necessarily too strong and I think the casting Disciplines are pretty unbalanced.
>>
>>52191861
Suggestion suggests a course of action. It doesn't make a creature believe something it doesn't believe.

You could say

'I suggest you believe that you are impervious to harm' but that's a potentially harmful activity - many, many bad things can happen if you think you're invincible. Such as the extra activity as per the suggestion spell 'and the next person you meet you shall prove it to by slitting your own throat'.
>>
>>52197681
>My bad. lethal Strike is the one i was referring to. Specifically the idea of action surging a bunch of attacks out and using Lethal Strike with all of them.
It works on the next strike, not all strikes.
>>
>>52197751

Cool. I missed that. I think my friend did too.

I still think the casters damage is kinda low though. I think some of these effects deserve to scale too (Whirlwind in the Weather disciplines is a prime example).
>>
>>52197751
The actual cheesy mystic nova is:

Lethal Strike as bonus action
Animate Weapon as action to roll the attack
Knock Back on attack hit

With Action Surge you can get another Animate Weapon and Knock Back in there, but not Lethal Strike.
>>
>>52196852
Different anon here,
I think it's still worth it. You could go full Str and Cha, with moderate Con. Or swap Cha with Con and choose spells that don't really on DC or attack bonus.
>>
>>52197901
>Another knock back
Nope, you only have one reaction per turn nomatter how many actions you have per turn.
>>
I feel like working on some homebrew. Maybe a sorcerer bloodline. Is there anything you guys would like to see or should I just pull at random from Pathfinder's list?
>>
>>52198414
You never ever ever pull from pathfinder, what's wrong with you?
>>
>>52198657
>not wanting an Aberrant bloodline based on things man was not meant to know
>not wanting a Djinni bloodline for arabian nights shenanigans
>not wanting a Fey bloodline - seriously how is this not a thing yet
Pathfinder isn't as bad as you think, you just have to sift through a lot of shit to find the good parts.

Source: The only group in my area went to PF instead of 4e, and I played it for years. I'm trying to get them into 5e, but they cite the lack of player options as the reason for delaying the switch - despite preferring the system.
>>
>>52198721
So why don't they just Homebrew more options, like you want to? or even refluff some shit? Seriously? I was just memeing and I won't play pathfinder ever so I really don't care if I'm wrong about it, but pretty much any concept can be made to fit most of the 5e classes with a few words switched out and maybe some tiny mechanical alterations.
>>
>>52198784
You're not wrong, about refluffing or about your opinion of pathfinder (seriously, I play it, but about 90% of it is shit, and most of the last 10% is Dreamscarred Press' 3rd party stuff.) But the problem of saying 'homebrew' to a [athfinder player is that they immediately think of DnD wiki shit.

Some of the class archetypes are salvageable, though, and many classes themselves can be reworked into archetypes. I had one lying around for the Fighter, based on DSP's Warder class; defensive stuff like making foes focus on you, making it hard to move around you by having your threatened area count as difficult terrain, increasing your threatened space and allowing you to move as part of opportunity attacks, and eventually gaining a second reaction.
>>
>>52198876
In my opinion it's fine to homebrew if you understand 5e, and I do mean understand it, it's design philosophy and it's balance, and have it correctly balanced to be no more powerful than other classes of it's type, that said, for your original question, Why not a Dark celestial bloodline like Death, or a Reaper? a little edgy sure but I think it'd be cool.
>>
>>52198993
My immediate thought for that sort of bloodline is to associate it to a neutral death god, like 4e's raven queen or PF's pharasma. A combination of death spells/abilities and anti-undead abilities (they are, after all, either stolen souls or the ones who got away, depending on who you ask). I guess I can give it a go.
>>
so our dm is allowing UA with full multiclass...

how fluffy/effective is a hexblade, bladelock crossed with a favored soul sorcerer if i want to melee more than spell sling, but still have good spell options? im an aasimar and was thinking a 6/6 split starting warlock
>>
>>52199077
Or Kelemvor? or Thanatos? Or Hades? Or Osiris? Or Anubis? all the death gods are neutral, originally speaking, at least.
>>
>>52199117
Well yeah, but lately a death-anything class is considered evil because it associates with gods like Bhall (Nerull, Morgion, The Keeper, Arawn, Hades [according to the PHB], and Hel [again, PHB]).
>>
>>52197901

Animate Weapon seems like a good one, honestly. If you want to do damage I think it's the talent of choice; that or the Fire Mastery.
>>
>>52199184
Bhall is Dead, period I took his place, I the Great Minsc, and my good friend Boo BUTTKICKING FOR GOODNESS!!!

Also anybody who associates death with Evil is a faggot, period.
>>
>>52199225
Hey, I'm with you, buddy. Murder is evil, though sometimes justifiable. Death is just a thing, like Fire.
>>
>>52199255
Bhaal certainly is evil, but i get why they brought him back, I'm just glad he's optional and I can relace the death god with whomever I desire, likely my PC from BGII:ToB.
>>
Unless I am missing something, death clerics don't have the least potential for abuse, as opposed to necromancers and oathbreakers. So I'd allow em at any time.
>>
>>52199484
He wanted an idea for A sorc bloodline Homebrew he wants to make, A suggested A Dark Celestial/ Death bloodline, rather than pathfinder stuff.
Thread posts: 386
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.