[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to figure out how fighters in 5e stay competitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

I'm trying to figure out how fighters in 5e stay competitive against wizards at high levels.

I'm guessing there's something I'm missing. Assuming a +2 magical weapon, the most they're doing is 1d8+7 per attack, 1d10+7 or 2d6+7 if they're using a two handed or great weapon.
>>
File: 1479435579610.jpg (5KB, 158x152px) Image search: [Google]
1479435579610.jpg
5KB, 158x152px
Keep sellin' that stale pasta, OP, you fucking faget.
I would pay real money to be as easily amused as you.....
>>
>>52184345
I'm aware of it being shitposting meme, but I'm honestly asking because I'm trying to switch editions with the rest of my group and convert my Pathfinder Fighter to 5e.
>>
Raw damage wise, I dont. I'm playing a fighter in a group with two wizards and a cleric. I'm the group Plan B. Something shuts down casting/is immune to magic/gets the drop on us? I go from pack mule and XP sponge to a Goddamn Rockstar because I'm the only player who can take it on the chin without going down and can deal with something trying to eat my face in melee. Wizards talk shit right up until that nameless horror blinks into their threat range, then it's all "oh gods it's chewing on my leg, save meeeeeeee!"
>>
>>52184792
I bet you love cuddling your wife after she fucks other men.
>>
>>52184393
Fighters get some fighting styles that can increase your damage straight out of character creation. There's also the great weapon master feat. It's basically 5e's equivalent of power attack, but restricted to two-handed weapons.

So you could potentially get something more like 2d6+17, with the ability to reroll the first 1 or 2 on each die.

Not saying you could necessarily compete with a caster, but it's not as bad as it looks.
>>
>>52185218
>>52184792
So what utility do you bring instead when the casters dominate?

Do you at least stand up well against damage as meat shields?
>>
>>52184287
You're doing 1d8+7 three to four times a turn at high levels, as well as the effects of your combat maneuvers and superiority dice. You also get the benefit of extra attacks from Haste, something casters can't do, as well as applying damage dice from any magical-weapon effects multiple times. And let's not forget you can use Action Surge to double all of this too.

If a wizard is putting out more damage than you're putting out as a fighter, then you're building your character wrong. Hell, I'm not even sure it's possible to build your fighter that bad unless you're actively TRYING to suck.
>>
>>52185289
Fortitude score buddy. if you can't shrug off 50% of all damage from wizards by level 10, you didn't roll good enough. another 25% can be overcome by feats and equipment. the rest is luck.
>>
>>52185752

Some people are this bad at it

I had a guy that rolled up a high physical stat Moon Druid that routinely makes the worst decisions possible on a weekly basis. His most recent exploit was a Bard charging into a Wall of Fire with Demons hiding in it while the rest of the party was trying to patch up the Paladin because he wanted to "Inspire us to stop being cowards and take the fight to the enemy". I still dont know why we even bothered saving him
>>
>>52184287
>competitive
>d&d

huh.
>>
So, a wizard CAN put put more damage than a fighter. A few times a day, and if they roll very well on damage / hit with their big spells.

As a fighter you will be consistently doing a great amount of damage. Having a high number of attacks, with your +7 to attack, means you'll be landing a lot of damage. And you can do this forever.

If you take Battlemaster, and want to blow your load in one go and match a Wizard's damage output by using your action surge, the only class that can match you is a Paladin using their Smites.

As a Battlemaster you gain a LOT of combat utility. And as a Fighter you get the most ASIs/Feats, so you have a lot more options to play with.
>>
>>52185218
start fresh. converting between editions is terrible.
>>
>>52184287
concentration rules shit on casters in this edition. also, only one of the three fighter archetype doesn't have some sort of "spellcasting"
>>
File: 1489160630803.png (242KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1489160630803.png
242KB, 1000x1000px
>>52187058
>The 'stamina' argument
I don't know if 5e significantly changes it, but in 3.5e from about level 5 onward you're guaranteed that the fighter will run out of hp before the wizard runs out of spells. I assume 5e makes it even moreso because now the wizard can cast one or two of his "silver bullet" spells per combat and then just sit back and fire cantrips at will.

Also, the entire design philosophy of "class X is objectively all-round better than class Y until class X runs out of steam, which then makes class Y better at this one thing" is not conductive to fun.

>>52187547
Which is coincidentally the worst archetype. Eldritch Knights get flexibility with spells, Battlemasters are 'mundane' but get a lot of options to do cool/useful shit that give them some minor battlefield control. The Champion? Improved crit chance. So he does double damage once per 10 turns rather than once per 20, big whoop.
>>
>>52184287
I'm trying to figure out what part of Chun Li I should fap to today.
>>
>>52187573
>So he does double damage once per 10 turns rather than once per 20, big whoop.

Factor in the Fighter getting multiple attacks per turn. Plus, IIRC, his crit chance goes up again to 18-20.
>>
>>52187584
Thighs. It's always the thighs, ALWAYS.
>>
>>52187573
>I don't know if 5e significantly changes it, but in 3.5e from about level 5 onward you're guaranteed that the fighter will run out of hp before the wizard runs out of spells
It's not the case in 5e, however every premade module in 5e include dungeons where it's an extremely bad idea to sleep in to recharge spells. A premature ejaculator wizard will be rendered useless very, very fast, while rogues and fighters will always be useful.
>>
>>52187633
it is shit unless you're using severely loaded dice.

the fact that keen doesn't stack with champion's improved crit chance is criminal.
>>
>>52184287
>competitive against wizards
>not competitive against druids
Yes, I will forever fucking be mad. Moon Circle Druid is an abomination.
>>
>>52187573
Eldritch Knight is where it's at. highest potential ac in the game. (your 8th lvl spell is shield of faith, NO EXCEPTIONS.) can cast two spells a turn /long rest. can't be disarmed. force disadvantage on saving throws, cast fireball while making a melee attack. like always with a fighter, get your dick sucking game on point for that magic sword and you're good.
>>
>>52184792
Wow that is one of the most pathetic thing I have ever read. I bet you are a wage slave and a cuckold too.
>>
>>52187838
So, in short.

It's what PF's Magus tried to be.
>>
The sorceror n my party is fucking cheating and the DM is a lazy fuck that doesn't care.
>>
>>52187916
i dunno, never really got into pathfinder. 5e's mechanics are nothing like 3.5's though. more akin to adnd 2e with some 3 and 4 sprinkled in.
>>
>>52187927
Beyond the obligatory 'have you tried not playing with assholes', what exactly is he doing?
>>
>>52187916
yup 100%
>>
>>52184287
I am running a Polearm Master + GW Master Battlemaster with riposte and precision attack maneuvers. I apply power attack to the bonus action Polearm strike and do tons of damage because I don't miss all the time due to precision attack. Main DPS of the team.
>>
>>52187944
sounds like he's not keeping track of his sorcery points, or he's using multiple metas a turn.
>>
>>52187979
If you can prove that he's not playing by the rules, point out why in the handbook, then if that doesn't work, tell your DM to grow some fucking nads and keep a lid on what the sorcerer can and can't do.
If he won't, you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>52187991
Addendum: Leave the game if the DM's that much of an ass. Went without saying, but just in case.
>>
>>52187991
not me brul, i'm dming a group that has a sorcerer, thankfully she is on the lvl and doesn't cheat. (our "that guy" is a monk)

but I can assure you, if you have to continually audit a sorcerer's spell points, you'd get tired of it after one session. wotc would have done better to just run them off of spell points without worrying about spell slots.
>>
>>52187916
Hell no, it's way shittier than the Magus at what the Magus is supposed to be. The EK is a Fighter with a tiny handful of spells while the Magus is a melee Wizard.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.