[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to this traditional game thing. What are some reckless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: distracted-driving.jpg (1MB, 3500x2170px) Image search: [Google]
distracted-driving.jpg
1MB, 3500x2170px
I'm new to this traditional game thing.
What are some reckless generalizations I should avoid making?
>>
>>52175346
"Have you tried not playing D and D?" is a meme spouted by idiots who have some pet indie system they really enjoy and causes them to lash out against D and D because it's the most popular, in the hopes that people will play their shitty pet system instead. Instead all they do is look whiny and toxic and drive people away from the hobby altogether.
>>
>>52175346
That having tg hobbies is cheap. Be prepared to drop several hundred, if not thousand, of dollars. Depending on the game of course
>>
>>52178554
That usually gets posted in response to "I am having a problem that is directly caused by adherence to the D&D rules wat do", though.

I get that you're new to RPGs and have brand loyalty to Hasbro, which is fine.
>>
Don't start with pathfinder.
Do not. It's a convoluted mess of a system and it sucks you in, and then you're stuck in it's tangle of rules, math and pooe balancing.
>>
>>52179140
I second this. Pathfinder is a meme RPG.
>>
>>52178915
Minifigs and wargames maybe, but pen and paper games generally just cost time and paper. Hell, there's shitloads of free rpgsystems by /tg/ itself. Mostly good for one-shots, but there's some campaign-potential
>>
File: dice ritual.jpg (26KB, 505x256px) Image search: [Google]
dice ritual.jpg
26KB, 505x256px
>>52175346
>What are some reckless generalizations
Don't believe everything you hear about games or gamers. They're not a monolithic single stereotype.

Gaming is mostly about people.

Forget about systems, forget about rules and conventions, forget about everything else. It's about people. If you have good likeminded people to play games with, you'll have a great time and so will everyone else around. If you have shitty people (or people who have very different ideas of what is fun) to play games with, you'll realize playing no game is better than playing a bad game.

Lastly, realize that gaming is like most anything else, the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it.
>>
>>52178554

Found the highly-strung DnD fan.

Fuck off back to your 3.PF containment thread, and stop pretending your shit system is anything other than a cancer in the hobby.
>>
never assume you know what another player is out to get from the game.

this applies mostly to pick-up groups found from gamers, as opposed to your group of friends picking up the pathfinder beginner box for something to do thursday evenings. gaming, like many hobbies, can attract vastly different people to the same system. you'll get a feel for the types the more you do it, but as a starter, hold back your own ambitions until you get the feel of the group totalm don't attach yourself to the loudest one.

never assume your shitty experience is universal (unless it's FATAL.) the group will make the game. no matter how shitty the system, an in-sync group & DM will have a blast. the inverse holds true.

never assume it's gm vs. player. that's the worst mindset for a player to have. it COULD be, it happens, but if it does, the whole group will be feeling it, not just you. even if you're specifically being targetted, people will notice, and they'll bring it up. but going into ANYTHING with that mindset makes for shitty times.

never assume shit won't carry over. it is just a game, but it's going to be a game played by what's going to be a minor (or possibly major) social circle. spending an entire night fucking up a session or targetting another pc will have consequences. if they're down for it, go for it. if they're not, stop and sit back. your rl macro relationship's gotta take priority over your micro game relationship, or you're gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>52180924

>D&D automatically means (3rd Edition, 3.5, or Pathfinder)

This is the worst one OP.
>>
>>52178949
>"I am having a problem that is directly caused by adherence to the D&D rules wat do"

The exact opposite. It was posted whenever D&D was merely mentioned, or when someone mentioned something in D&D that also happens to be in some form in most other games. It was just a meme response to try to pretend that you could fix all of your problems just be switching systems, and instead you'd just end up with a new batch of problems.

There's really no way to defend the anti-D&D shitposters. Even taking into account that D&D is almost overwhelmingly popular, the way they handled themselves was clearly just to try and scare people away from the system, like the idiots on /v/ do to any game system they themselves don't own.

It's pretty sick and fucked up.
>>
>>52175346
>[popular thing] sucks and no one should ever play it
>any female playing tabletop games must be in it because geeky stuff is mainstream now; real geek girls don't exist
>[thing] includes one paragraph about lgbqt people existing in the setting. It's ruined now
>If a game can be exploited by munchkins you should never ever play it, no matter with whom
>anything including anthropromorphic animals in any capacity is automatically furry and therefore ruined

I'd also advice against playing online unlesss it's your only option.
>>
>>52182902
>I'd also advice against playing online unlesss it's your only option.
I've joined plenty of games with people from /tg/ and the closest I've ever come to a bad experience was when a few players flaked out at the last minute and the whole thing just kind of fizzled out.
>>
Nat 20s do not allow you to do things you wouldn't be able to do, they just enable you to do something touching could do at the very peak of your ability.

Also, nat 1s don't mean you suffer brain damage. If you roll a nat 1 on something any person can do, like walking through a door or tying your shoelaces, you won't suffer some hilarious fate where you trundle into the doorframe and crack your skull open. It just means you'll do it at the least of your reasonable ability.

In my first game, when I was 16, the dm had my character shoot and kill himself with his own bow because I rolled a 1 on a roll to shoot an arrow.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.