[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Large scale battles in 5E

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Eclipse_calling.jpg (14KB, 580x350px) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse_calling.jpg
14KB, 580x350px
I'm about to start GMing a D&D 5e campaign loosely based around Berserk, the country at war, the party starting as mercenaries, impressing a certain merc band and following their handsome leader until, well if you know berserk you know how act 1 of this campaign ends.

I thought this would be the place to ask, are there any pre written quests, modules or source books about running larger scale fights in D&D?
While the first few quests are minor behind the scenes missions while the main battle takes place elsewhere, i would like to place the party in a Helms Deep situation at some point, but don't want to overwhelm them.

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>52170233
Here you go anon; 5e's version of 1e's classic Battlesystem rules.
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Battlesystem.pdf
And a different version of that one doesn't work for you.
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf
>>
>>52170233
Won't the players see this shit coming?
Berserk isn't exactly obscure these days.
>>
>>52170448
Nope, they're all oblivious
>>
>>52170441
Thank you, this is quite helpful. Only point is that i'd prefer to axe the "generals" thing.
>>
>>52170460
Then do so?
They're both UA so they aren't official rulings, and even then I haven't found any game system I've never had to houserule at least a little bit.
>>
>>52170478
Thats fair, thank you also.
I'll see how to work it.
Has anyone here had experience with something like this in the past?
>>
>>52170487
I have.
The trick is to not make it entirely revolve around the mass combat and include lots of smaller adventures that deal with the stuff that leads UP to major battles; making alliances, scouting enemy positions and terrain, securing supplies, maybe the odd political assassination or two if your army likes to play dirty.
The Suikoden games are full of ideas for that kinda stuff; the mass combat scenes are sort of the punctuation mark at the end of a series of smaller adventures.
>>
>>52170717
Helpful as well. thank you everyone, i'm writing this stuff down.
>>
>>52170755
Actually, it's just been me every time.
It's kinda early in 'murrica.
>>
>>52170868
Oh really? Thank you very much.
I'm in the Uk
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.