[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternative Stats/Attributes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Quest against GLOBALISTS.jpg (81KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Quest against GLOBALISTS.jpg
81KB, 800x450px
What are your favorite attributes?

I almost invariably see Str, Dex, Con, Int, etc and while that seems to fit a fantasy game, it just tends to feel a bit weird in modern settings. What attributes would be better for a spy game, or an action movie ruleset? basically what are some alternate attribute ideas you like.
>>
>>52165558
Sneak
Disguise
Ingenuity
Speed
Accuracy
>>
>>52167643
Those are interesting choices-- how would you mechanically define Ingenuity?
>>
>>52167668
Basically, it'd be your ability to think up cool spy shit. Like, how to disarm the trap that you just set off before it sets the alarm/kills you, or something like that. Or, how best to hide a body, maybe? It's basically a mix of Perception and Intelligence, I guess.
>>
Strong
Speed
Smart
Stealth
>>
In my system, you come up with what attributes you want to use at the start of the game. So if you needed a Force Sensitiveness attribute, you could have it. They all work the same in that they provide modifiers to skills and give you something to roll against when no skills apply, it just depends on what you think everybody is going to need at least, and on how granular you like it. So Str and Dex are the invariable baseline, but you could break it down into Might, Constitution, Dexterity, Agility, Reflex, Charisma, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Blueness if you wanted to.
>>
Ive decided on: Physique, Finesse, Instinct, Cognition, Coherence, Charisma, and Sublimation for mine. Took me forever.
>>
>>52169084
And Sexy for the S5System.
>>
>>52165558

When creating your stats for a game, just choosing them arbitrarily is always a dumb idea.

The best approach for stats is figuring out what your game cares about, and making those your stats. Just choosing an arbitrary number of stats and trying to make them all valuable will lead to some being much more important than others and end up effectively wasting space.

WoD is one of the worst systems for this, with the 3x3 grid never being properly utilised, some stats being vital for skills and derived attributes and others being nigh on useless.

From your examples, OP?

For a spy game you need to consider what aspects of spies are important, which varies depending on whether you're going realistic or cinematic, as well as the focus and tech level of the game.

In broad strokes, a social stat, a physical stat, a mental stat and a separate stat for Stealth would likely work. While Stealth is usually a skill in most systems, given that spy work is all about subtlety and the ability to act without notice, moving it to a higher level of importance would make sense.

For an action movie, meanwhile, it would again depend on tone and style, but you'd probably want a greater variety of physical stats (Physical strength, endurance and durability and finesse and speed), with the mental stats more focused on how they're used in action movies- Split second decisions, plans and improvised weapons from the mental stat, quippy one liners and distractions from any existing social stat, etc. Or you might remove mental and social entirely and leave them as skills or equivalent, given they're significantly less important that the stuff you use to directly fight the bad guys.
>>
>>52167701
Nice! Good idears.
>>52173075
What are Coherence and Sublimation, anon?
>>52173371
Very nice advice. I would only add that, in a spy game, social and mental stats/skills are highly important, so it seems to me.
>>
>>52175929
>Coherence
I´m not the author and it balffles me as well. If I had to guess, Cohorence is likely a dedicated stat for resisting fear, illusions, insanity and (probably) mental manipulation as in, Will save: the stat. I have no idea why you´d do it this way, though. Or maybe some mystical-alignment with-the universe stat, so it does magic. Sublimation, I have no idea, probably some other setting- dependent magic stuff.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.