[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resurrection Compenents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1392614076295.png (351KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1392614076295.png
351KB, 1500x1500px
So I want to allow resurrection as a possible option in my games, but don't want it to be an easy "buy diamonds, receive life" deal. Instead, I'm changing the components of the spells to be things that, while priceless, would not be found in a component pouch and must be quested for. The players will be informed of this change prior to the start of the campaign.

Thus, I'm fishing /tg/ for ideas on what these components could be. I've decided I like the sound of needing 3 parts to a successful resurrection: the vessel, the route, and the spark.

>the vessel
The body that's going to be getting up and walking around. Most of the time you just need the corpse, but if there's nothing left you've got to have something for the spell to work with.

>the route
You need a way to get the soul from wherever it is to here.

>the spark
The thing that actually brings them back to life.

Here are some examples of the kind of thing I'm looking for; all the same spell but done by different cultures with different components to get the same results.

>Ashen Rebirth
>Vessel: A pile of ashes from a natural wildfire in a vibrant forest
>Route: A signal fire or smoke signal created by burning an item or possession the target would recognize and seek out
>Spark: A phoenix feather, given willingly

>Ferryman's Fee
>Vessel: A basin of water from a mountain spring that feeds into a river
>Route: The two coins placed over the target's eyes when they were or would have been buried, plus another two given by a close friend or family member (if the funeral rite involving the first coins wasn't done, you're SoL on this one)
>Spark: An elixir of life given by the ferryman once you've gotten his attention, convinced him to return the soul which may involve other tasks), and paid his fee

Got any other ideas?
>>
No ideas at the moment, but this

>all the same spell but done by different cultures with different components to get the same results

is excellent and I commend you for it.
>>
File: OD&D Setting.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
OD&D Setting.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>
Maybe have dragon blood or something truly a pain in the ass to acquire be a component.

I just used a stone found in a flower that only grows in humongous battlefields after the fight is over that contains the souls of the fallen within that will "die" in your stead in my things. Stupid but it works wonders.
>>
File: anormaldayontheinternet.jpg (1MB, 1200x1280px) Image search: [Google]
anormaldayontheinternet.jpg
1MB, 1200x1280px
>>52144322
Holy shit this is rad
>>
Perhaps for Dwarves you could do something like.

Vessel: A likeness of the deceased chiselled from a stone that originated at the place of his birth.
Route: An ancient song performed by a dozen members of his family/clan.
Spark: A single tear shed by a...hm, some kind of powerful and rare creature the Dwarves would respect and/or revere but I can't really think of one. Metallic Dragon maybe? Celestial being?
>>
>>52144497
Ale Golem tears.
High quality ale itself can be substituted in.
>>
>>52144497
Could just create an Earth Mother type thing. Some huge woman-thing made of stone that Dwarves consider sacred and dwells deep in the earth.
>>
My first thought for something like that would be...

Vessel: A clay doll carved with runes detailing important events in the resurrectee's life.
Route: A huge lens, crafted specifically for this purpose, made of bronze and etched glass.
Spark: Starlight from a constellation associated with whatever god the resurrectee believed in, or the god of death.
>>
>>52143988
>Apa Sâmbetei, The World Ocean
>Vessel: A fresh egg, painted and decorated to depict the core aspects of the deceased's life, placed upon the chest of the deceased's corpse
>Route: Apa Moartă, A bowl of water from where a stream or river meets the ocean, soiled with the blood of the deceased at sunset.
>Spark: Apa Vie, a bowl of water from the mouth of a stream, mixed with the tears of a person who mourns the loss of the deceased, mixed in the light of the sunrise.
>>
bump for life
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.