[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elves and the practicalities thereof

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 8bit.png (106KB, 717x449px) Image search: [Google]
8bit.png
106KB, 717x449px
Biologyfags, assemble!

So, how would having pointy elf ears actually alter someone's hearing?
>>
Depends on the point and whether it can move. Ear size and shape is for directional hearing and how loud it picks up
>>
I thought they were for heat distribution.
>>
>>52143405

Humans have a bunch of ridges and lobes around their ears while elven ears are more often shown to be completely smooth. What's the significance of that?
>>
>>52146426
Sound would not filter well. Our ridges focus in and "filter" sound for fairly optimal hearing. An elf would be overwhelmed. And it wouldn't be like "I hear everything!"

No it would be "I can't hear shit cause the wind ruins every sound."
>>
>>52143574

Not on a human. Elephant ears work that way.

The tips of elf ears would be potentially subject to frostbite, so either make assumptions about climate or add fur or some other biological mechanism to protect against it.

Other than that, it's perfectly feasible even if it has no impact on hearing. Such cosmetic variations are common among animals.
>>
>>52146471
So they would hear the way a shitty camera would, for example?
>>
>>52143324
The elongated version of elf ears would naturally lend itself to ad hoc handlebars.
As we all know, elves were specifically crafted to facilitate their use as legendary mounts. thus the ergonomic hand holds.
Engineering division XXIII may have forgotten this shape does very little for the elven ability to hear. But what else can you expect from junior engineers?
>>
>>52146708
Exactly.
>>
>>52146778
Oh god that sounds like a fate worse than death. no fucking wonder they either live underground or in forests....oh shit it makes sense.
>>
I always thought they were like handlebars, considering how much time elf girls spend sucking dicks in anime...
>>
>>52143324
>>52146471
I've got it!

The pointed ears ARE for wind! They combine scent, hearing and tactile sensations on the pointed ends of the ears to gather information from and about the wind. Because of this, trees rustling in a forest is actually MUCH more pleasant for them.

The ears they use for normal speaking are closer to birds', holes behind the ear shielded and filtered by the ear points to function slightly worse than human ears.
>>
Not everything is necessarily for some kind of environmental adaptation.

Sexual selection can lead to exaggerated traits that are a hindrance but still lead to better reproductive odds.

Maybe proto-elves chose mates based on the shape of the ear for whatever reason and this eventually led to an increasingly exaggerated pointy ear. Lop-ear elves are the extreme peacock-esque version of this because we know lop-eared elves are extra-fuckable.

Reasons for evolutionary traits is 90% speculation and just-soism so you can really make it whatever you want.
>>
>>52150053
This to be quite honest

Why do you think male cardinals are so brightly colored, despite being mostly nontoxic and living in a world that contains predators? Because, in the past, actual genetic fitness correlated with somewhat more intense color, perhaps due to a better diet or something, and actual organisms need to use proxies like that for figuring out how to fuck since actual genetic fitness isn't something you can figure out until well after the deed is done.

Same reason men find big tits to be so great - they offer no meaningful improvement in milk-producing ability, and can get inconvenient in daily life, but it's not like you can tell at a glance how good a mother some random woman will be.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.