[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Systems to Try

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: download (27).jpg (12KB, 196x257px) Image search: [Google]
download (27).jpg
12KB, 196x257px
D&D 3.fag here, only ever played D&D 3.5, 4e and some obscure Elder Scrolls tabletop game, any suggestions for a quality system to get into? Crunch isn't an issue as long as it's not to an extreme, just looking for something new and well made. And nothing in the Warhammer 40k universe please.
>>
>>52141661
Last Stand, Ryuutama, Tenra Bansho Zero, Apocalypse World, Dungeonslayers, Fantasy Craft, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Fiasco, Golden Sky Stories...
There's so much to recommend. You'll have to get a bit more specific.
>>
>>52141661
Valor is a system I've been wanting to play for a while, is a flexible game designed for the anime genre but it can work with other genres.
>>
>>52141661
5e maybe? I've heard it described as a happy medium between 3.5 and 4e, so it might be to your tastes.
>>
File: IMG_2723.png (502KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2723.png
502KB, 640x960px
>>52141661
Unknown Armies.
Modern day occult horror, but instead of external threats (eldritch beings, vampires, angels), threats are internal and man made. A homeless guy who's body is a hive of hornets isn't infected by an alien plague, he was just so obsessed with insects that it gave him power. A king isn't given power by divine right, but by acting more like a king than anyone else, even if his domain he claims is just a city block or plumbers.

I'd personally recommend 3rd edition, though there are no physical books available, only pdfs of the three main books. The system is based on 1d100, is simple to learn and encourages cooperation between players and the GM. Hell, character creation and setting creation go hand in hand, with the players and GM taking turns to add elements and define goals.

Plus, the books are written in a very informal style, which I think helps comprehension a hell of a lot.
>>
>>52141879
>I've heard it described as a happy medium between 3.5 and 4e
That's bollocks. They threw out the baby with the bathwater when it comes to 4e, and the rest is watered-down 3.5 with token narrative stuff haphazardly stapled on.
Granted, the watering down seems to have some homeopathic effect, but any comparison with 4e is questionable at best.
>>
>>52141970
I wonder why 4rries are so butthurt about 5e all the time. Maybe it's because it's popular, unline their shit edition.
>>
>>52142364
I'm guessing the butthurt is about 4e getting abandoned completely instead of fixed.
>>
>>52142435
No shit, it got abandoned. 4e alienated a huge part of the playerbase and allowed Pathfinder to emerge. Why would they even want to fix it? The whole thing was a mistake.
>>
>>52142435
You're not supposed to give an intelligent response to flamebait.
>>
>>52142364
>Maybe it's because it's popular.

You can pretty much use that as the answer to why anyone hates anything here "stop liking what I don't like" is /tg/'s motto in life.
>>
>>52142490
>Every criticism of my bellowed system is bait! Everyone who doesn't like it is a troll!
Fucking delusional.
>>
>>52141661
FFG's Star Wars RPG.
>>
>>52141661
Try something significantly different, maybe Savage Worlds or Barbarians of Lemuria.
>>
>>52142546
What criticism?
>>
>>52142546
>Every criticism of my bellowed system is bait! Everyone who doesn't like it is a troll!
I don't even have a dog in this pony, but "I wonder why 4rries are so butthurt about 5e all the time. Maybe it's because it's popular, unline their shit edition." is hardly a reasonable critique.
>>
>>52141661
Legend, the d20 one. It's a happy medium between 3E and 4E with none of the former's flaws.
>>
Other than what's already been said about 5e, it generally preserves "the D&D feel", it's very easy to learn and most importantly of all it's fucking popular. Like, fuck, unless you already have a group ready and waiting to switch a system, you ought to learn 5e - it'll open up a massive playerbase to you, and the system itself is pretty good.
>>
>>52141661
Song of Swords, if you want something fantasy.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.