[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

L5R General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 19

File: 1417744821633.jpg (755KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1417744821633.jpg
755KB, 1600x1200px
Crabs are for dwarf-loving neckbeards.
Cranes are for elf-loving legbeards.
Dragons are for obnoxious stoners.
Lions are for genuine fucking weeaboos.
Mantises are for HFY shitlords.
Phoenixes are for bookish nerds.
Scorpions are for social darwinist edgelords.
Spiders are a shit.

Fucking fight me.
>>
Oh, and Unicorns are for gaijin fucks.
>>
Im a bookish nerd, and i would indeed picked the phoenix.
>>
>>52141629
beeposter, go.
>>
>>52141463
Teppo

Technology is suppressed and controlled by the Imperial Throne due to it's potential destabilizing power/disruption of Kami

No one expects the Iron Legion (There's an Iron Champion who leads one now and everything - he's like the Jade Champion but for technology and gaijin powder and shit)

The Jade Champion does not like the Iron Champion

Kommunist Kolat Konspiracies to Kick out the Kami by Karrying forth this technology. Yellow Turban rebels with rifles.

The Airships and technology from Jade Empire

The Crab have canon turrets mounted on THE WALL THE WALL THE WALL

That one pacifist family thats part of the Crane is really pissed off their work on pretty fireworks turned into weapons of war, they establish the Rokugani Peace Prize

Three 1/2 Words: DEMON. POSSESSED. MAHO-TANKS.
>>
>Crabs are for WANNA SMASH weeaboos
>Cranes are for FOLDED UP TO A MILLION TIMES weeaboos
>Dragons are for EASTERN RELIGION IS SO DEEP weeaboos
>Lions are for SAMURAI WERE HONORABLE AND DID NO WRONG weeaboos
>Mantises are for KICK REASON TO THE CURB weeaboos
>Phoenixes are for I AM THE AVATAR weeaboos
>Scorpions are for I AM NARUTO weeaboos; alternately I AM SO CONFLICTED IN MY DARKNESS weeaboos
>Unicorns are for MY LESBIAN FANTASIES weeaboos
>Spiders are a shit

Discuss.
>>
>>52141928
Not inaccurate.
>>
>>52141629
Do you think the Emperor gets to have a concubine from each clan?
>>
>>52142759
No, probably not.
That's one thing Rokugan gets right about the Tenno; he generally kept his marriage to as small a number of families as possible to remove "legitimate" claims to the position outside of his family to retain stable transfer of power, though also in reality the Tenno wasn't actually the same exact thing as the Emperor, hence the different Japanese words for it.
>>
>>52142831
Rokugan's imperial line also publicly renounce any claim to the throne and the ruling imperial name once their sibling takes the throne.
>>
File: 1318090732-Elf-Hunters_3.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1318090732-Elf-Hunters_3.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
>>52141858
Here we see a Courtier, a traveling Ronin, a Shugenja with her panda spirit companion, all riding on a Tank possessed by the soul Yoritomo.
This marks the start of the first official adventure in the new FFG Rokugan setting.
>>
Anyone see this?
https://twitter.com/SteveGHorvath/status/840398044751380480

There is a L5R beta floating around PAX this weekend.
>>
>>52143088
Is that Those Who Hunt Elves?
>>
>>52141928
I guess we should call them /u/nicorns now?
>>
>>52143167
I want to believe.
>>
>>52143235
That is the CMO of Asmodee North America.
So it'd be really fucked up if he is lying.
>>
>>52143167
Who cares about the card game, tho
>>
>>52143464
Anyone with taste? RPGs are for losers.
>>
Lets say I wanted to run a light hearted, comfy game of map makers. How much interest would there be?
>>
>>52143809
Depends what you mean by comfy.
>>
>>52143915
Going from town to town, documenting the terrain and building, and solving episodic problems while under going a character arc.
>>
>>52143962
And what sort of Rokugan are you using for it?
>>
>>52143994
Probably the quiet periods, like 9th Century
>>
>>52144009
And what sort of player are you looking for?
>>
>>52144030
The kind who can make it regularly
>>
>>52144066
That's all?
>>
>>52142899
This is what happened in Japan too. In fact, the Emperor himself did that a lot.
The position of Tenno wasn't a life-long one because it was equally a religious and political one; it was akin to being like the Pharoh's of Egypt where you weren't actually allowed to have a personality of your own outside the tightly regulated and prescribed behaviors of the Tenno. Most Emperor's would step down after two to five years due to the stress of constantly being observed and all of their behaviors pre-determined by what the Son of Heaven is supposed to act like.

Most actual political authority was in fact determined through the Emperor's extended family among the Kuge rather then the Tenno himself as most of the time what he could and could not do was extremely ritualized and restricted.
It wasn't until the 19th century that the Emperor's of Japan began to really wield power in the way we generally consider Emperor's to wield.
>>
>>52144241
To detail it further, the only families generally allowed to marry the Emperoer belonged to the Fujiwara Clan, to lock-in political power amongst the Kuge and that section of them.
Oh, and the Kuge were not how Rokugan explain them to be. In fact, as long as you're using Japanese characters it's actually impossible to be both Kuge and Buge; there WERE no samurai who were Kuge.
>>
>>52144294
So wait, the Otomo family thing wasn't made up?
>>
>>52144343
No, it wasn't.
In fact, a lot of how the Kuge work in Rokugan (a small group of families intermarrying and keeping Imperial power in as small a group of families as possible) is rather accurate to life with some names changed around.
The major difference is pretty much everything about the samurai class themselves, a lot of which wouldn't be determined until well after the Emperor's were kind of neutered politically.
Historically speaking the samurai and Emperor have always been at odds.
>>
Okay, something's been bugging me and I figure here's a good place to ask it. What would the names of the Great Clans be in Japanese? Like, not the animal names in English but the Japanese versions?
>>
>>52143809
Depends on the timezone and what you're using to connect everyone.
>>
A lot don't translate well.
>Lion: "Shishi"
This is a really rough one; the usual way to say lion is "raion", which is the Japanese pronounciaton of the English word. A better name would be "Shishioh", which means something pretty close to "Brave Lion Ling".
>Crane: "Tsuru"
>Scorpion: "Sasori"
>Phoenix: "Suzaku"
Another rough one, but the mythical Chinese Vermillion Bird is pretty close to the Phoenix, and you prounoncs it's name "Suzaku" in Japanese. It's actually an uncommon but not unheard of male name in Japan.
>Dragon: "Ryuu"
Again, kind of not a great one. It's a relatively common male first name in Japan, same as Suzaku.
>Unicorn: "Ikkakuju"
Again, the proper version would be the Japanese pronounciation of the English word, but you can also call them literally "One-horn Horse", which this is.
>Crab: Kani
>Mantis: Kabocha
>Spider: Kumo

Spider and Mantis included for completeness sake.
>>
>>52144392
>>52144542
It's worth noting that the Unicorn Clan used to be the Ki-Rin clan in universe, and Ki-Rins are sometimes deer like chimera monsters and sometimes unicorn-like beasts with a lightning motif.
I don't think what the crap Rokugani Ki-Rin are like has ever been established.
>>
>>52144542
A good alternate for Phoenix would be "Houou", which is the Japanese name for the mythical Fenghuang bird, the Chinese equivalent of the Western Phoenix.
>>
>>52144623
The problem is that I think the immortal fire bird is a thing that really exists in Rokugan and what the clan is named after.
>>
>>52144607
I realize; at which point the Unicorn would be just called "Kirin" rather then "Ikkakuju".
The Japanese pronounciation of the Chinese ki-rin I pretty straightforward.
>>
>>52144651
Except that the Unicorn used to be Ki-Rin in universe. Shinjo named her clan that and then renamed it after her new boyfriend after they left the Empire.
>>
>>52141629

Agree on every point.

That's why I play ronin.
>>
>>52144542
>kabocha

but that's pumpkin, anon

you're thinking of kamakiri
>>
>>52144647
In that case, "Houou" is better then "Suzaku". Suzaku is specifically the name of the Chinese Vermillion Bird, which is kind of similar but different from Fenghuang.
>>
>>52144676
See, this is the problem with Japanese.
Kabocha DOES mean Crab, as it's primary definition. But if you spell it differently or use it in a sentence it means "pumpkin".
>>
File: showimage[1].jpg (129KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
showimage[1].jpg
129KB, 429x600px
>>52144623
>>52144647
>>
>>52144706
Sorry, Mantis, not Crab. Blegh.
It's pronounced "Kumonga", not like "Kabocha".
>>
>>52144676
Kamagiri isn't really a good name for it; it's like saying "T-Rex" instead of "Tyrannosaurus rex"; it's not a proper name and is a colloquialism.
"Kamagiri" means literally "scythe-killer".
>>
>>52144669
http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Ki-Rin_Clan
>In 442 after Shinjo was lost in lands far from Rokugan her only living son, Shinjo Yonaru, became the new leader and decided to shift the Clan's name.
>>
>>52144767
's what my dictionary uses, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.
>>
>>52144827
Like I said; Japanese is a pain in the ass.
Stuff like why four is an unlucky number and shit like that.
>>
>>52144872
I think I recognize that one: "four" is also spelled the same way as "death", right?
>>
>>52145059
No, pronounced the same.
It's spelled differently.
>>
>>52144730
Isn't Kumonga a Godzilla monster?
>>
>>52145093
Yeah, actually, a giant spider.
It's a combination of "Kumo" (Spider) and the English word "humongous" (monga) the way they spell it.
>>
>>52141629
LMAO one of my party paladins basically encountered OP's pic in a recent campaign, and went full autist. We were visiting the palace of a local hedonistic warlord who tried (and for the most part succeeded) tempting party members as a reward for killing a band of trolls that had been harassing his village.

He said hello to the harem on the bed, then took the food table and the mead and dragged it into the corner. He had to pass two strength checks to do this BTW. Having wedged himself in the corner, he began eating and drinking. He offered none of it to the women. Whenever one of the women would try to start a conversation, he would ignore them and keep eating. Eventually, he ran out of food and wanted to get up to go to the sleep. He then failed his strength check and spent a cold, lonely night trapped by a food table, watching a bed full of women performing salacious acts upon each other.

It turned out for the best, because the warlord was really a daemon trying to ensnare the souls of the party (huge surprise, I know).
>>
>>52145461
Umm...wrong thread?
>>
>>52145761
Apparently not, just unrelated anecdote.
>>
>>52143809
Sounds really neat. Hit me up if you decide to do it.
Sam Hall #4464
>>
>>52145761
Not wrong thread, just reminiscing b/c our DM used OP's pic as reference for the scene.
>>
>>
>>52147204
>genzoman art

Arguments about his appropriateness for L5R aside, I really don't like his coloring style.
>>
>>52147422
Yeah, it looks like it belongs in a weeaboo MMO. It kills me that my PC's namesake got Genzoman art when he got carded.
>>
>>52147477
Well, it's not even that, it's... I dunno how to describe it, actually. Everything's too brightly lit and too shiny and the coloring just really irks me.
>>
>>52147516
The unnatural creases in the fabric and the way the light reflects off of it makes every outfit he draws look like it's made of latex.
>>
>>52141629

But... I'm a social darwinist edgelord and I play Lion...

>>52141928
>Lions are for SAMURAI WERE HONORABLE AND DID NO WRONG weeaboos
>Lions do most of the wrong in the setting
>They aren't even so honorable most of the time just angry and filled with shallow pride

Eh?
>>
>>52149344
Well, mostly it doesn't help that the Matsu are hot-blooded morons who do things like dismiss supporting the sans family in the Clan and ignore the advice of the Ikoma and such.
>>
>>52147477
Okay, this pic reminds me; is there any way to make an Utaku who is actually half-decent with a sword and who isn't 100% reliant on being mounted?
>>
>>52150747
>battle maiden ever not on a horse
What are you fuckin' gay?
>>
>>52150747
The Calm Heart Duelist technique from Strongholds of the Empire could do it; aside from some minor Iaijutsu bonuses it allows you to make Complex Attacks with a katana or wakizashi, even while in foot. It's less versatile then the "with any weapon at all while mounted" but allows you to attack twice in situations where your horse isn't around.
Most of the other Battle Maiden techniques have at least SOME utility in foot, so you should be okay if you sink plenty of points into Kenjutsu.

That said, you'll still always be a bit more effective mounted.
>>
>>52150800
Thanks, that works.
>>
>>52150794
Not him, but he could also be indoors, in a city, in an alleyway or narrow space, in a fortress or castle, in a dangerous but nominally social situation, or any combination thereof that precludes the player from be mounted while combat starts.
It's the old "Paladin's mount in the dungeon" problem from classic D&D; there will be plenty of situations where your horse will be well away from you so if you're too heavily reliant on it then you might be screwed.

That said, most Battle Maiden techniques have some usage off a mount, they just get better while ON a mount.
>>
>>52150747
You could always go with Shinjo bushi, instead of trying to force the Utaku into something it doesn't fit.
>>
>>52150835
I thought about that, but >>52150800 this gets what I'm looking for. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>52141629
>look at all these buzzwords I can fit into a single post

Great work senpai desu
>>
>>52150859
In that case, you might also have considered the Serpent Hunter path, or homebrewing a similarly focused hunting group.
>>
For real though, L5R is one of those few settings and games where I have an honest to god interest in each faction. I think there's something interesting and cool about each of the clans in L5R, including the minor ones. The only one I really don't feel anything for is the Phoenix, mostly because I don't feel they necessarily fit the Empire with their bullshit pacifism. But they still got their redeeming feature with the Shiba Yojimbos who are pretty cool.
>>
>>52150950
Firstly, Shiba are perhaps one of the three best samurai families in that they are exemplars of actual samurai virtues them...whatever else the other Clans and families are into that makes them act like semi-autistic weirdos all the time.
Secondly, the Phoenix are the SHITTIEST pacifists of all time. They've waged war just as much as any other Great Clan and when they DO go to war they go full natural disaster no survivors shit on whoever they fight with huge amounts of magical overkill.

It's like they pretend to be pacifists just to be smug and when you call them on it they set literally everything on fire in a fit of pique before apologizing for it afterword to the burn victim ward survivors they leave behind.
>>
>>52151007
Who are the other two?
>>
>>52151007
I agree with this post.

Fuck the Phoenix.

But then again the fuck do I know the Scorpion are my favorite
>>
>>52151015
Mirumoto and the Daidoji, aka "the Boring Sidekick" Families of their respective Clans that don't fit into their Clan's overall aesthetic or style.
All three are really mundane and boring but are 100% devoted to their superiors and are even willing to do some morally questionable things at time because sometimes that what they're ordered to do.
A lot of that other stuff they talk about in L5R is kinda overwrought bullshit; total and absolute loyalty is THE most important and stressed part of Bushido most of the time, and being quiet and inobtrusive but very competent when called upon is how a good samurai was generally supposed to act.
Most quotes in the Hagakure that don't have to do with how dying is noble are about loyalty and how important it is.
>>
File: IMG_4396.jpg (702KB, 1280x993px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4396.jpg
702KB, 1280x993px
>>52151028
I like the Shiba anyway because the long-suffering yojimbo paired with his increasingly crazy wizard asshole boss silently bearing his crazy wizard shenanigans is always amusing to me for it's comedy gold value.

As my group liked to say;
>"You can always tell the Shiba-san from the other Phoenix's in the room because he'll be the one scowling in the corner holding a bucket in case his Isawa-san gets too excited and lights on fire again."
>>
>>52149344
And the vast majority of Scorps aren't ninjas, it's just the dumb stereotype associated with the clan.

>>52151048
It's funny how the best part of those clans is the part that doesn't fit into their cultural straightjacket.
>>
>>52151079
>It's funny how the best part of those clans is the part that doesn't fit into their cultural straightjacket.

Part of the issue is the way L5R is designed versus the way actual Buke culture actually worked.
In L5R each clan has an extremely distinct "hat" that they wear that affects everything from how they dress to how they look in the art to how they're portrayed in the fiction almost all of the time, largely because doing so makes them more distinct as factions and makes people like or dislike them more and thus drives competition between them in it's admittedly CCG-driven setting. Even if (especially if) the way they'd act actually goes against traditional Bushido values they'd still act that way because their hats are affectively stapled to their head.
If it were more realistic most of the Clans and families would NOT have distinct methods of dress, would NOT have distinct cultures, would NOT have a stereotype beyond "samurai", and the fandom for the game would have waned because in the end a the factions you choose would look pretty much exactly the same and their actions would be far more determined by whatever Lord was in charge of each one, which would then change as soon as he was replaced.

Fancy and distinct styles that show how extra special and different from other groups you are pretty much completely goes against the grain of being a samurai but it's also the thing that kinda drives the fandom and attracts them to the game.
>>
File: 1480596126842.jpg (124KB, 286x285px) Image search: [Google]
1480596126842.jpg
124KB, 286x285px
>>52151068
>As my group liked to say;
>>"You can always tell the Shiba-san from the other Phoenix's in the room because he'll be the one scowling in the corner holding a bucket in case his Isawa-san gets too excited and lights on fire again."

I approve of your group.
>>
>>52151048
>Mirumoto and the Daidoji, aka "the Boring Sidekick" Families of their respective Clans that don't fit into their Clan's overall aesthetic or style.
I'd dispute that. They're neither boring, relegated to being sidekicks, nor misfit within their respective clans.
>>
>>52151200
They aren't LITERAL boring sidekicks.
They just aren't foppish Social butterflies, wizards, or monks covered in more ink then a newspaper.
>>
>>52151215
I wouldn't say they're metaphorical boring sidekicks, either. Though as the rpg and ccg has changed in waves, perception has changed by the same process.

There have been arcs within the ccg where niten samurai have been far more prevalent in common and successful decks than tattooed men. If you think on 1e core, there was literally no other choice than bushi or shugenja - Mirumoto were definitely sitting in the spotlight then. Even in the setting, the Togashi mostly cut themselves off from the world (very few Togashi * very few worldly Togashi = next to no Togashi in most of the empire) while the Mirumoto run the clan.

Personality-wise, who are the Mirumoto?
>easily the most practical family of the Dragon, at least by their clan’s standards – other samurai, by contrast, often find them mysterious or strangely poetic.
Sounds like a variation on the Dragon aesthetic or style to me.

We could go over the Daidoji in the same manner, but I'd rather go get food.
>>
>>52151184
I do too.
>>
>>
>>52153322
please stop
>>
I wonder if that dude offering to run an L5R game was serious.
>>
>>52153775
Guess he didn't see enough interest
>>
>>52153812
I was interested but I was too busy trying to see what he wanted out of prospective players, rest in fucking pieces.
>>
>>52153836
Yeah the problem is getting communication going, and dealing with flakes.
>>
>>52151048
>Hagakure

Is this the thing that was so loathed in its time its writer was kicked out by his own lord because said writer was considered an embarrassing crazy old man?
>>
>>52143809
I'm interested, especially for more information.

I just want to play a game, any L5R game. It's been on my list for years. RichterRaf #8242
>>
>>52154856
No, Tsunetomo left of his own accord after refusing to commit suicide and follow his master to death since his master had openly spoken of distaste for the practice. When there was disagreement over his master's successor he became a hermit wrote his book.
It definitely wasn't popular when he was alive, but eventually it became THE Bushido book to the samurai.
>>
File: The-Celestial-Court.jpg (320KB, 1800x1170px) Image search: [Google]
The-Celestial-Court.jpg
320KB, 1800x1170px
>>
>>52147204
>Scorpion courtier not also a hot slut
Fail.
>>
Wednesday at 10am there is going to be live stream of the new L5R LCG from GAMA. This will be the first real gameplay info we'll get on the new game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1743847/bggs-livestream-game-demo-schedule-gama-trade-show
>>
>>52159660
So, that kid in black with the pale skin I wanna say is Fu Leng, but also the kid sitting next to Onnatagu is being checked out by the Lying Darkness, which supposedly tutored Fu Leng...
>>
>>52160863
>the kid sitting next to Onnatagu is being checked out by the Lying Darkness
Bayushi.
>>
>>52160863
Bayushi and Doji are hanging out with their parents (Bayushi poking the darkness), Akodo and Hantei are arguing down front, Shiba and Fu Leng are fucking around with arts, crafts, and spirits, Togashi and Shiba are meditating, and Hida and Ryoshun are wrestling in the back.
>>
>>52160863
Lying Darkness also has a connection to Bayushi because of Shosuro nonsense.
>>
>>52161064
Whoops, that's Shinjo and Fu Leng, not Shiba. Shiba is meditating.
>>
>>52161022
>>52161064
>>52161075
Oh right, Shosuro.
>>
>>52160863
Onnotangu - Adult male
Amaterasu - Adult Female

Bayushi - Playing with the shadow critter (the Lying Darkness) next to Onnotangu
Doji - Serving tea to Amaterasu
Shiba - In red meditating facing the viewer
Togashi - Shirtless meditating facing Shiba
Hida - Wrestling in the corner, still has his tunic on.
Ryoshun - Wresting with Hida, shirt torn. He never made it to Ningen and died in his father's belly.
Hantei - Arguing over the ball, in green and yellow
Akodo - Arguing with Hantei in yellow and brown
Fu-Leng - In black, summoning the shisa
Shinjo - Sitting next to Fu-Leng clapping.
>>
>>52160830
hype.
>>
>>52161217

The climb is all there is.
>>
File: Moto_Chen_XP3.jpg (96KB, 900x644px) Image search: [Google]
Moto_Chen_XP3.jpg
96KB, 900x644px
>>
>>52159660
Shinjo x Fu Leng wincest confirmed?
>>
>>52167412
Let's not talk about that pairing ever again.
>>
>>52167412
Shinjo and Fu Leng were always close. During the First War Shinjo went to Fu Leng and tried to dissuade him from wrecking everything and to come back their family. Fu-Daddy tried to kill her. During Fu Leng's assault on Tengoku during the Gold arc Shinjo again tried to go to her brother and stop the madness this time Fu Leng killed her with Emma-O's Spear.
>>
>>52167412
No, but Shinjo tried to forgive Fu Leng and Luke Skywalker his Darth Vader twice.
Shinjo was the friendliest and most outgoing of the Great Kami; so much so that she left the Empire just to see more stuff and meet new people and make friends with them and shit.
>>
>>52141629
Are you a magician, OP? When I played L5R 1st edition, I was a stoner, and I made a Dragon bushi.
>>
>>52171191
I was a stoner and I made one of everything at least once.
>>
bump of honor
>>
>>52168507
>>52167714
>>52167488

I wonder how things would have turned out if that had worked? How would a 2nd generation Kami with two divine parents work?
>>
>>52175668
The same as the 1st generation, but slightly more retarded (if possible) because incest.
>>
>>52167714
Shinjo was the kami of compassion for a reason. Sadly, her clan made a mockery of that virtue...
>>
>>52175668
If they were born in Ningen-do, they'd probably be somewhere between the original kami and the half-human second gen. The realm of mortals has an extremely strong jealousy.
>>
>>52175801
This. The only Realm whose Jealousy is stronger is Jigoku, but that's only because it actively tries to convert the other Realms into more Jigoku while Ningen-do seems content to stay within its Realm and only infect those that visit with Mortality which stays with them even if they leave (most other Controls fade once you leave the Realm in question).
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (46KB, 280x421px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
46KB, 280x421px
>>
>>52175724
Stupid fucking tournament results.
>>
>>52179824

This is why there shouldn't even be a new CCG.
>>
>>52181592
There isn't going to be a new CCG. It is all LCG now baby. And the card game has always been the life blood of L5R, without it there would be no RPG.
>>
File: None.png (248KB, 761x374px) Image search: [Google]
None.png
248KB, 761x374px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N15FvHGub6w

>Biggest Print Run for a LCG
>Neither Denied or Confirmed for RPG
>More than the LCG is coming
>Storyline is still player driven but will be different than AEG
>April 19 is the hype date advertising and reveals will start then.
>Zero compatibility with previous card game
>Box Art reveal
>2 boxes needed to be competitive
>Japanese artists were hired
>Full Organized play support, Kotei will be very limited. First wave will be eight Kotei.
>Launch event at Gen Con

Hold on to your Hakama, the hype train is going to be pulling out of the station.
>>
File: MTiCANB.gif (2MB, 608x336px) Image search: [Google]
MTiCANB.gif
2MB, 608x336px
>>52182058
36 days till we know if the wait was worth it...
>>
>>52182058
All I want is for the flagrantly not-samurai stuff to just leave. Moto can stay as long as they're a gimmick and not the head of the Unicorn. Spider needs to go and stay go. Mantis needs to go back to mercenary work instead of trying to be a great clan for no real reason.
>>
File: Hida Yasamura.jpg (189KB, 428x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hida Yasamura.jpg
189KB, 428x600px
>>52182408
see >>52160830

We'll see a demo of the game tomorrow at 10 am. 36 days is when the ad campaign aka the hype train starts its tour.
>>
>>52182454
10 AM in what timezone?
>>
>>52182454
From what I understand that is what we got tonight and they split the shows into FFG and the other company. So there will be nothing L5R tomarrow
>>
>>52182473
GMT-7

>>52182571
We'll know tomorrow after the Asmodee/FFG slot is done. Good thing it is the first slot of the day.
>>
File: Box Art.jpg (464KB, 2041x1530px) Image search: [Google]
Box Art.jpg
464KB, 2041x1530px
Better picture of the box art.
>>
>>52183208
Holy fucking shit. Courtiers with clothing on.
>>
>>52141629
Are any of them cute?
>>
>>52183230
Maybe they shot Genzoman and left him to die in a ditch.
>>
>>52183230
Most Crane Courtiers are able to keep their kimono on. It is mostly Scorpion and Dragon that seem to not be able to dress themselves.
>>
>>52183851
I wanna dick a crane. Guess I'm buying Gencon tickets.
>>
File: 1399326492511[1].jpg (1MB, 1710x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1399326492511[1].jpg
1MB, 1710x1350px
>>52183851
Nah.

Scorpion (only in private / when they can get away with it), Mantis (on a boat / when they can get away with it), Crab (Hida Noshirt and Hiruma Nopants say hi), Unicorn (gaijin gaijin gaijin gaijin), and Togashi. (monks who know how, but don't wanna)

Lion, Phoenix, Crane do full layers.
>>
>>52144091
You know, the simplicity of this exchange makes me assume it's a meme I don't know.
But I don't dislike the idea.
>>
>>52151007
I honestly love the fact that Phoenix originally had this reputation for wisdom and a respect of knowledge and all that but as soon as the card game results started dictating the course of the story the Phoenixes immediately became all about flagrant abuse of power and busting out the big guns and basically just being Black Mage from 8 Bit Theater (yes, dated reference, whatever). Thanks, card players!
>>
>>52179824
I dunno, I kinda love the stories of Unicorn players in a meeting all chanting 'KHAN! KHAN! KHAN!' at the conventions.
>>
>>52182436
I would have no issue with the Mantis if they actually felt like Mantis Wasp and Centipede together.
The Three Man Alliance (Little Man Alliance? It's been a bit) was great, until the people making the setting forgot about 2/3 of its personality.
>>
>>52185295
No, I was trying to see what sort of things the GM values in a game (because fuck if I'm sitting through another game that's winter court without a chance of being internet famous).
>>
File: Shinjo Shono.jpg (199KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
Shinjo Shono.jpg
199KB, 429x600px
>>52185382
During the first Gen Con during the Gold Arc I caused a memetic chant "KHAN'S LAW!"

At the time there was a group of Unicorn players that was trying to promote the Unicorn as agents of justice called the Magistrate Movement. They had rules for deck construction (No Ninja, Kolat, or Maho/Shadowlands) and some additional gameplay rules. One of their rules was "Shinjo's Law" taken from the Law Shinjo put forth as the prime law of the Ki-rin/Unicorn, "No Unicorn shall spill the blood of another Unicorn." Their version said that if they played another Unicorn player they'd agree to run an Honor game and not attack each other.

I play 'corn and drew a Magistrate in Swiss during qualifers. He suggested we abide by Shinjo's Law. I could tell just from his stronghold he was an honor runner, but I agreed as I was running Military/Honor Switch. I got lucky and got most of the Uniques (including the Clan Sword) out and when my key event flipped I was ready crush him. I said, "Shinjo's Law was well and good when the Shinjo ran the Clan, but now we live under the KHAN'S LAW!!!!!" I then proceeded to run roughshod over him, taking two provinces and Rallying most of my Armies to have them on defense. The next turn I yelled "KHAN'S LAW!!" again and took a third province. Having neutered his production and slaughtered the vast majority of his forces, I then Honored out winning the game. I then told the guy that trying to sleaze wins by taking advantage of a fluffy player faction rule was weaksauce.

Another 'corn player asked me what was up with my war shouts and I told him the story, he spread it to his friends and it spread through the con. In the finals the top Unicorn player gave a hearty "KHAN'S LAW" shout when he was given his prize. Sadly it never really took with Story Team so after that Gen Con it was forgotten.
>>
File: utaku kohana 1.jpg (135KB, 308x431px) Image search: [Google]
utaku kohana 1.jpg
135KB, 308x431px
>>52185748
An Addendum to the story, when I got home I checked the Magistrate Movement's website and found I had gotten called out as being a bad sport and a bounty was placed on knocking me out of tournaments. Needless to say I trolled them relentlessly and made sure they knew what Kotei I was attending. I only met one other Magistrate and he told me he thought they were being tools. Ah, those were the days.
>>
>>52185748
I never liked the Khan.
>>
Is there some sort of MEGA for the pdfs?
>>
>>52185760
So....you're looking back fondly on the days of you being an asshat nobody wants to be around?
>>
>>52187436
Not that guy but fuck off cunt.
>>
Having never read the L5R book, what would draw me to it? What do you all feel characterizes the game? I'm not a DnD fanboy by any means, just trying to expand what games I experience.
>>
>>52192460
Do you like samurai? Do you like political minefields where saying the wrong thing can get you killed?
>>
>>52192460
>Having never read the L5R book, what would draw me to it?

You can be a samurai, and above this basic assumption you can shape up your story however you want.

For example, a recent (final) session of a high-end party in my gaming club had the characters stumble into a suspiciously abandoned inn... and then destroy waves after waves of oni while the Doom 2016 OST was blasting from the GM's computer. Once the daemons were dealt with, the party found their portal, entered Jigoku (hell), and rescued the innkeeper and his family while cutting clean through hordes of various daemons. Then they were, like, "Well, just another boring day in the office." and walked away into the sunset.

And this is just an extreme example of going full-on "Rokugan Your Way" and have insane amounts of fun while swinging around a katana with your character.
>>
>>52192978
A very extreme example. Very very extreme. In normal Rokugan, even one Oni is a huge threat no matter how many samurai you've got, and entering hell is a 100% "you're a hell-puppet now" sentence even for Gods, nevermind mortals.
>>
>>52192969
>>52192978

Sounds interesting. Is there a lot of Edition Wars™ in this system, or is it all gravy in the end? Found a V4 book, looks like.
>>
>>52193087
Not really, there's a pretty solid consensus.
4th edition is the best, but 1st edition is also acceptable. 3rd edition is fun, but easily broken, 2nd edition is not fun, and the d20 abomination is the least fun by a very, very wide margin.
>>
>>52193087

Nah, the system (4th edition as-is) is extremely solid and flexible, undoubtedly being the strongest point of the whole game.
>>
>>52193123
This Anon has it. In fact most of the time you will see people in L5R threads recommending 1e books for fluff, especially the "Way of..." series. Pretty much everyone that plays uses 1e or 4e now. Though I have been tempted to run a "Make the most busted shit you can" game in 3e just to see true insanity.

It helps that pretty much every time we've gotten a new edition it has been an improvement, with the exception of the 2e/d20 transition. Though I am convinced they were forced to make 2e shit to encourage going to d20 as part of the deal that gave AEG control of the IP.
>>
>>52184953
Among the Phoenix, the Agasha tend to wear a lot less, something they kept from their time among the Dragon.
>>
>>52183697
If only we could be so lucky
>>
>>52160830
This was a whole lotta nothing. They just trotted out the box again.
>>
>>52194908
booooo
>>
>>52193410
Based on what?

>After the Agasha join the Phoenix Clan, they hold very few courts, normally restricting themselves to small events in the City of Remembrance and their newly built estate at Kyuden Agasha. While they do have the resources to conduct larger affairs, the family as a whole prefers to keep a low profile—they are still regarded as untrustworthy by many in the Empire in the wake of their mass defection from the Dragon to the Phoenix.
This doesn't sound like the kind of people who want to draw attention to themselves by bucking the system.
>>
>>52197795
It's in Great Clans. Page 185.

>Another old tradition maintained by the Agasha family is that of tattooing. During their gempukku ceremony young Agasha endure long periods of silent meditation and then acquire their first tattoo. While these are of course not magical like those of the Togashi family, they are still unique to their owner and have many subtle meanings expressing the individual Agasha. The Agasha proudly display their tattoos, sometimes resulting in an exposure of skin judged scandalous by the rest of Rokugan.
>>
>>52198088
Nice. Ty for finding it.
>>
>>52198868
To elaborate, the Agasha get away with it for the same reason the Unicorn get away with all of their weird habits; whatever your political allegiance, respect for the traditions of your ancestors is one of the primary roots of Family culture. Despite leaving the Dragon, the Agasha have actually changed very little since days they were still members-- they've even kept their old mon, which features a dragon prominently, and that kind of thing seems to be common practice.

In fact, of the families to join other clans, the Yasuki is the only one I can think of that actually DID change it's mon as part of the shift, and even then, it was their own choice and not something the Crab asked them to do. The Toritaka, Tsuruchi, Moshi, Kitsune, and Agasha all kept their old mons.
>>
>>52199237
I think the only reason the Yasuki changed theirs is because they have a strong affinity for their Carp motif.
>>
>>52199384
I think they were also a lot more upset with their former Crane masters in general, whereas the Agasha just had a problem with Hitomi in particular.
>>
>>52187404
Seconded
>>
>>52143189
Yes.
Shit's actually pretty good.
>>
>>52199607
There was also fuckery with Hantei 16th returned in the Agasha/Tamori thing. Why else do you think the Dragon have a family named after one of their most hated?

>Emperor Toturi I renamed the Dragon Agasha the Tamori family by Imperial Edict in 1151. This was a concession into which the Emperor was forced as a part of his truce with Hantei XVI. The largely-defeated Hantei took great joy in having the Dragon rename one of their families after a man they considered to be a traitor.
>>
>>52199955
While that's true, at the time of the Agasha's defection nobody actually knew Agasha Tamori was evil-- that only came out later.

The Tamori name also very quickly came to be associated with Tamori Shaitung, Agasha Tamori's daughter and a clan hero, who is considered the founder of the Tamori as an actual family with it's own distinct practices, rather than simply a renamed Agasha remnant.
>>
>>52200112
Yes, for a time there were two families laying claim to the Agasha name.

Even so, both the Agasha and Tamori names are somewhat tarnished in the eyes of the rest of the empire. That's not the kind of thing that just goes away entirely because you do some impressive stuff.
>>
>>52199829
...Thirded?
>>
>>52200304
>That's not the kind of thing that just goes away entirely because you do some impressive stuff.

Except if you are a Hida
>>
>>52202706
>Except if you are a Hida
No, they still had shit clan rep to deal with. It just happened that they didn't deal with it immediately, and it lingered until the empress ordered Kuon to seppuku.
>>
File: serveimage[1].jpg (262KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage[1].jpg
262KB, 1920x1080px
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.