[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Try to stop your players from attacking a villain when he's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: rageface.jpg (129KB, 1600x1071px) Image search: [Google]
rageface.jpg
129KB, 1600x1071px
>Try to stop your players from attacking a villain when he's delivering his villainous monologue
>Holy shit, That DM detected

>Players come up with long, arcane, impractical battle plans in the middle of a swordfight.
>Have enemies attack them while they babble on end
>Holy shit, you're That DM, talking is a free action!
What made today's players so whiny, entitled, hypocritical, and stupid?
>>
File: 1478860101374.jpg (108KB, 500x321px) Image search: [Google]
1478860101374.jpg
108KB, 500x321px
>>52132174
Why do you keep posting these bait threads?

They're not quite the same each time, but they go:

Hypothetical Situation Without Context
Statement of Controversial Opinion

And then you sit back and watch the bickering.

Why?

This isn't a valuable question. You aren't really asking a question at all. You're just setting the ring up for a stupid, pointless fight over points you've invented.

Why?
>>
>>52132313
To keep the bait flowing across the front page when people keep bumping it with complaints.
>filename
should've been enough to tell it's bait.
>>
>>52132174
>players interupting anything
fuck all of you asshole who do this. If you don't want me to talk and just open the monster manual and go down the list just fucking say it god damnit.
>>
>>52132174
>He doesn't time people who are talking and cut them off after 6 seconds.
Pleb tier.
>>
>>52132174
You're just a shit GM.
>>
>being so creatively bankrupt your villains only get the chance to interact with the party via BEFORE I KILL YOU MISTER BOND tier monologuing

protip, if your players have got to the final confrontation with your epic villain with an indepth and creative plot without actually having found out anything about it, so you feel the need for him to talk at them about his evil plan, you have a shit villain and you have presented the story in a shit fashion

if you can't improve upon the villain behaviour of a Power Rangers villain consider rethinking the choices that brought you to DMing
>>
Like seriously, what the fuck kind of villains and plots do people run where apparently all of the character development and narrative progression rely on your players not attacking the villain immediately?

do you not have stories where the PCs gather information about the enemy's plan, see the effects of it, even meet the villain and, say, escape his base or something to create a compelling reason to fight him without the need for OH NO NOW IT IS THE FINAL BATTLE, TIME FOR A WALL OF FUCKING TEXT ABOUT WHY YOU NEED TO BEAT ME

Similarly if you want to do some clever gotcha thing where IN FACT HE'S NOT EVIL then drop clues beforehand, sow doubt in their minds and use methods other than a WALL OF FUCKING TEXT to show there's something going on they're missing.

I get it, you've probably just seen Giant Robo or Watchmen and think it's hot shit to have a villain whose motives are kept a secret until the end, but those stories work because the characters are all either retarded or have so much personal baggage they fight even without the proper context because HOLY SHIT IT'S THAT GUY I HATE THAT GUY

tl'dr if your players beginning the final battle by actually attacking someone before he can tell them the plot is enough to ruin your plot you've done a shit job of presenting your plot
>>
>>52132174
Because they're all special little snowflakes who can't be arsed to run the game themselves so instead they just bitch and moan how the person who puts in actual work so they can have fun is doing it "wrong."
>>
That's why I have my BBEG's send mercenaries, assassins etc. after the players while they unwittingly carry a letter from the BBEG to the players.

>ahah, so you've defeated my minions - oh wait, they're just some innocent mercenaries that won't get paid now. also, i just burned down the capital while you guys were off chasing that assassin i hired. have fun, see you next time laddies, peace out
>>
>>52138689
That's pretty stupid.
>>
>>52132174
Because having someone monologue can be a a distraction that the bbeg set up while the real threat sets up to ambush us
>>
>>52132313
>Why do you keep posting these bait threads?

Because dumb fucks like you keep replying to them, obviously
>>
>>52136270
>>52136291
Why do people always assume that if the villain is monologuing, it's because he's never been encountered before and is only now revealing his plans? What part of the OP or the word monologue implies this?

Is there something wrong with dropping hints and letting the players investigate the villain's motive and reasoning themselves, and then having the villain monologue their side? Is it utterly impossible for the villain to try explaining their reasoning even if the party already found out through other means? Or perhaps the party only knows the broad strokes and how his minions and enemies perceive him, but not how he rationalizes himself. Is there any particular reason every monologue MUST be a wall of text infodump?
>>
>>52139505
Why is the villain stupid enough to think he can make a speech in front of people who are trying to kill him, uninterrupted?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.