[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Mystic MondayEdition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 20

File: tattoo wizard.jpg (142KB, 900x1162px) Image search: [Google]
tattoo wizard.jpg
142KB, 900x1162px
D&D 5th Edition General

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
>>52120444

What disciplines are you hoping for with the Mystic? What archetypes are you hoping to return this Monday? What needs to be changed from v2?
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12511533
>>
>mystic
never ever
>>
>>52130992
I don't understand. Why do you keep setting yourselves up for disappointment? If it happens, it happens. But it won't.
>>
Anyone have any good one-shots? preferably for a party of 5 at level 8 or so, but I can scale encounters and such to work.
>>
How does one worship a dead god that have two part alive, Bahamut and Tiamat?
>>
I know it's UA and you're not supposed to multiclass it, but I just came up with a neat build.

>lore wizard 2/undying light Warlock 2/Phoenix sorcerer x

Get magic missile and change the damage to fire. UL Warlock adds CHA dmg to fire (+3 by level 4) and use your mantle of flame to add your CHA again
>lvl 1 magic missile is (1d4+1+3+3)+3=28.5 avg fire dmg, no save
>lvl 2 Warlock get eldritch agonizing eldritch blast and hex
>change hex damage to fire
>level 5 eldritch blast + mantle of flame damage
>(1d10+3+3+3+1d6)*2=36 avg dmg
>two short rest spell slots to spam 1st lvl spells, 3 levels of Warlock getting you a pact boon (gfb shenanigans anyone?)
>can get hold person and do lore wizard shenanigans with that
>get elemental feat for extra dmg
>counter fire immune enemies by swapping dmg to radiant (lose dmg but still good dmg)
>metamagic for eldritch double eldritch blast or magic missile+eldritch blast for more burst
>if you don't want to play Phoenix, the combo gets more dmg at 6th level of draconic sorcerer

Other benefits are potential at will mage armor, changing AOE spells for stupid area damage, and good skill checks from lore wizard. Damage isn't as insane as nuclear Druid, but it's more consistent and practical.
>>
Has anyone seen any actually decent rules for followers floating around? All I keep seeing is either "use 3.x" or "We're limiting it so players can't break it".
I did have a couple of ideas though, if any one is interested.
>>
>>52131206

I've taken the Retainers "ability" from the Noble (knight) background enough times to say most followers in my time with 5e to say most followers are useless and just get in the way.

We usually handwave or ignore the retainers, or they just sit around being useless and eating up trail rations. The Privilege trait from Noble is better anyhow.

Hey /tg/, who does D&D Adventurer's League here? I gotta say, I like it better than PFS. A big local con is coming up in my area and I'm having fun playing my big strong level 7 eldritch knight. I don't get the EK hate, honestly.
>>
>>52131314
People dislike the EK because they're used to magic being the central aspect of a character, rather than a slowly progressing secondary set of abilities which serve mainly to enhance what you are already good at. They tend to forget that an EK is still first and foremost a Martial, not
>muh ebin gish build
>>
>>52131413

I get it, I do, but how do these people comprehend paladins in that case? I guess my problem is that I'm insisting on grognards to be reasonable. I wonder what their arbitrary definition of a Good Build is in this case.

For reference, I think mine is fairly good - it's not one that gets mentioned a lot on the online optimization conversations. It's a pretty munchkiny build, don't get me wrong - polearm master and sentinel feats have crazy synergy but it's just so cheesy. That being said, having 20 AC with Blur up and Shielding anything that gets through makes me nigh-unhittable. And when it's my turn I get three attacks at +8 for 1d10+5/1d10+5/1d4+5 and action surge is nasty as always.

But I didn't come here just to brag about my build, or get called a faggot for not using the SCAG cantrips (although I welcome it). Any thoughts?
>>
I'm a bit of an autist, so rather than call the place and ask, can anyone give me the brief rundown of what DnD Encounters are and how they are usually done?

A shop near me hosts bi-weekly Encounters and I just assume they are small, short campaigns with whom ever is going to be playing that night.

Are they with set characters in order to not have leveling issues or are the nights always started with new characters?
>>
>>52131541

Encounters are part of Adventurer's League I believe. You play with the same character each time (unless you decide to use a different one for whatever reason) and you record the XP and gold obtained on a logsheet.
>>
>>52131595

So what happens if you show up with your Lv 7 character and the other people play as a group and are all 17s?

Or you have a Lv 13 and a there are five other people that are between 3 and 8?
>>
File: aang_lineart_by_veritrium.jpg (36KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
aang_lineart_by_veritrium.jpg
36KB, 600x462px
>>52130992
>>52130999
Do you think once WC is satisfied with Ranger Revised they'll give Monk (esp Elemental) a helping hand?
>>
>>52131657
>mearls
>willingly making monks better
Not on your life
>>
>>52131651

There are four tiers of play: 1-4. 5-10, 11-16, 17-20. These are usually called tiers 1-4. Most AL uses a website called Warhorn to RSVP seats to tables, and it's there that you can see what tiers are being run and if your character can fit into any of them.

Hit me with more AL questions if you like - I just played an AL adventure earlier today at my FLGS. Alternatively, you can find the rundown at http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play
>>
So, Tiamat is really poorly designed. How would you make her statblock better?
>>
>>52131690
First identify what parts of her you think are poorly-designed, then we can talk.
>>
>>52131657
Very unlikely.
>>
>>52131711
The only well designed bits of her statblock are her ability scores and limited magic immunity.
>>
>>52131657
>Make monk a d12 class
>???
>Done
>>
>>52131672

Thanks! A game shop in my city hosts 5e Encounters on every other Wednesdays but their website doesn't really have any other details.

I used to play ADnD years ago and I thought about swinging by the shop but I only really have a rough understanding of 5e and I only really build Lv1 characters.
>>
So other then Beast Bond are there any good spells Beastmasters can use to buff their pet?
>>
Does anybody have some sort of image compilation or just save file of the most successful Dorf Forts? My dwarfs inhabit an continent sprawling mountain range on the western side of the world, split into a minor clans/guilds throughout based on latitude and depth , so I want to give them really detailed mountainhomes should the players ever go beneath the ground.
>>
>Mystic

Common now... isn't that really just a bard... ?
>>
Someone mentioned the other day a Warlock 5 or 6/Necromancer Wiz X.

Would this actually be worth it compared to a normal Necromancer? I mean extra Animate Deads is cool and all but no high level spells is kinda a major flaw.

Or would WIZ6/WLK X be better?
>>
>>52131915
Oh and I forgot a third option- Oathbreaker/Warlock 5 or 6
>>
File: Pirate Beholder.jpg (81KB, 750x466px) Image search: [Google]
Pirate Beholder.jpg
81KB, 750x466px
So, perhaps wrong thread. But tell me this DM's Pirate beholder. Give me ideas for abilities, stats, etc
>>
Am I doing the math right here?

If I'm a level 3 Goblin Rogue (Assassin), and I surprise someone with a sneak attack and apply Fury of the Small then basically :

My Assassinate ability triggers, making it auto-crit

So my normal sneak attack, which should be a 1d8 + 2d6, crits, before bonus modifiers are added on so

2d8 + 4d6 + Dex mod + Fury of the Small mod?
>>
File: 3735eogremoch.jpg (66KB, 424x597px) Image search: [Google]
3735eogremoch.jpg
66KB, 424x597px
So my party is about to face Ogremoch as the final boss in Princes of the Apocalypse. Anybody here run this guy? How'd it go? Any pointers?
>>
>>52131657
>make monk a half-caster with limited elemental-themed spell list
Elemental is fixed. I know that loses the ki flavor, but it also puts it on the same power level as AT and EK, and no one really bitches about those too loudly. Either that or give avatar monks a buttload more ki.
>>
Would there be anything inherently unbalanced about allowing a Human Ranger to take a Large creature as their animal companion? Obviously they plan to ride it and use that in combat, but he's agreed not to bitch in the few situations his horse won't be able to follow him in dungeons and shit.
>>
>>52132025
Yep. It seems bonkers at level 3, but Assassinate only triggers once per combat, and you don't really have any other tricks after that, so yeah.
>>
>>52132047
It'll depend on why he wants a Large creature.

If it's to ride, I'd just hand waive it and say the creature's bond means it's used to how the Ranger handles him mid-mount. If it's for the extra damage and mechanical benefits, I'd say no.
>>
If you stat an NPC as a PC, how do their levels generally line up with the challenge ratings? For example, a fighter NPC?

I'm trying to stat up a BBEG for my campaign, and I'm trying to see how it should be done.
>>
>>52132047
I designed a Ranger with a Dire Wolf for that exact purpose, you can make the base Wolf on par with a Dire Wolf after 2 ASIs (one of which you get right after you get the pet) so statwise it's not too big a deal imo, depends how your DM feels about letting you have a mount.
>>
>>52132094
They don't line up at all. PCs/NPCs as "monsters" don't work in 5E because monsters are essentially HP sponges with lame abilities. They're balanced around the fact that 3-5 PCs are going to be wailing away on them every turn.

If you try to use a PC build as a monster against other PCs, it just becomes rocket-tag. Take >>52132025 >>52132078 for example.

If an "enemy PC" goblin rogue backstabbed one of your players and triggered assassinate, it'd be instagib. Players don't have the HP to tolerate optimized attacks on them.
>>
>>52132090
>>52132109
He wants to go for a classic, Ranger of the woods with a bow and a deep connection with his Horse. Another thought I had was to give him the a regular Horse with slight scaling on it's HP and make sure he knows about mount armour.
>>
File: horse.png (1MB, 680x576px) Image search: [Google]
horse.png
1MB, 680x576px
>>52132131
>a deep connection with his Horse
>>
>>52131978
Abilities:
>Water and Air manipulation obviously
>Freeze Ray
>Ray of Adaption: Polymorphs victims into sea spawn or fish?
>Gold Attractor: A magical magnet the pirate beholder picked up on it's travels and weaponized.
>>
So, basically the normal level 3 assassin.., I don't see why it is bonkers
>>
>>52132128
I see. I guess I can remember shit like that happening back in 3e a lot.

I guess my biggest problem with building the monsters according to the expected challenge is that it really feels like it favours the style of play where you adjust challenges to the PC's level. I like sandboxier stuff more, so I've been kind of struggling with how I could populate the world in a way that feels consistent, and let the players pick their challenges, instead of making it tailored to them specifically.

I guess it's mostly just the matter of having a lot more experience with older editions and not being used to the new one, yet.

And yes, I realize this doesn't really follow logically after I asked about how NPCs match up with PCs. It's just a thought, mostly.
>>
>>52132128
Is this what's wrong with Tiamat and others like her? They're sort of damage sponges but can't hit worth a damn?

What happens if you give the monsters actually decent abilities?
>>
So is Conjuration Wizard worth it? I'm trying to remake an old 2e character who was a Conjurer but it seems rather weak compared to other magic schools.
>>
Hey guys how do I stat a pacifist whose entire character is Matt LeBlanc from Friends?

My cousin is retarded
>>
>>52132247
A lore bard? Maybe a level 1 commoner?
>>
>>52132247
There was an UA for a Path of Tranquility monk, who's specialized in avoiding combat, healing things and whatnot.

Of course, even the baseline monk still excels at pounding faces in. Possibly, a wizard who doesn't have a single offensive spell.
>>
>>52132224
Well, that's part of the hand-holdiness of 5E. If you peel back the fluff and really look at the mechanics, no halfway competent player is ever really in danger, and is essentially a demigod.

>>52132229
TPKs happen.
>>
Hey guys! I've never played 5e but I have my first game coming up soon. I'm a veteran of 4e and I've played a lot of Pathfinder as well. Anything I should know heading in?
>>
>>52132280
You're safe now. You'll never have to play those games again so try not to have PTSD flashbacks.
>>
>>52130999
the fuck is wrong with people kensai is one of the strongest sub-classes in dnd
>>
>>52132292
Hey, 4e wasn't too bad.

>>52132280
5e is lower-powered than 4e and PF, but still enjoyable. What are you playing?
>>
>>52132275
I guess. Kind of disappointing after they talk about how you can totally convert material from 2e or earlier no problem, even though the older stuff pulls far fewer punches and often gives a lot less of a shit about how fair exactly it is.

Still, though, what are some ways to make an enemy (like the BBEG who's supposed to be tough and all) feel like dangerous and nigh-unstoppable? Other than just making them ridiculously overpowered, I mean.

On a sidenote, how competent are the DMG monster building guidelines? Can I just follow them, tweak around what I feel is right and plop that stuff in?
>>
>>52132280
Paladin, Bard, Cleric and Wizard are the best classes. Druids and Fighters are viable with a few meme builds.

Everyone else is ehh. Especially Monks and Rangers.

That's about it.

>in b4 someone wants to defend their garbage pet class
>>
>>52132297
Favorited doesn't mean best anon. I voted Tranquility even though I agree Kensai are at that power level where they're fun to play and kick ass, but don't overshadow people.

>>52132312
4e was actually pretty fun. The combat was great, but I prefer to play games in 5e my miles.
>>
File: 1410178372186.png (130KB, 476x286px) Image search: [Google]
1410178372186.png
130KB, 476x286px
guys, give me ideas on how to create an encounter with a flail snail for my 3rd level party. the 10 foot speed sort of screws it over. I will have them going into a abandoned mine teeming with kobolds, and I want to incorporate this monster somehow
>>
>>52132338
The tunnel is flooded with waist deep water. Aside from fucking over halflings, gnomes, and other small dudes, it's difficult terrain, so the party's speed is halved. The snail, as an amphibious aquatic creature, is unaffected.
>>
>>52132280

Don't listen to people like >>52132319 the power level between classes isn't that big when you're actually playing. Just play whatever seems fun, even if it is a shit ranger.
>>
>>52132338
The terrain is treacherous and if they don't move very carefully, they'll fall and get shrekked.

They're fighting in something that slows them down.

The flail snail attacks them when they're climbing down a long way, and thus slow and vulnerable while the snail is just crawling on the wall like nothing.

The kobolds are pushing it around in a wheelbarrow.
>>
>>52132317
Most enemies in 5E :
- either have terrible accuracy and good damage or good accuracy and terrible damage
- have huge HP pools and bad AC

Any party is going to gangbang the enemy. Any dangerous enemy is going to one-shot a player on his turn. There's no real way to balance it out without a lot of railroading or "You need the macguffin to hurt him" kind of solutions, unless you're cool with rocket-tag (I am).

Monster building guidelines are fine but mostly irrelevant as there's already an entire book full of damage sponges to pick from.
>>
>>52132338
Have parties become enamored with rumors of "s-geode" full of all sorts of riches but surrounded by kobolds who are trying to attract a dragon to worship by building a horde. Have, halfway through the players in the dungeon, the kobolds dig too deeply and too greedily, striking what the mine really is: the ESCARGEODE!
Filled with slimes and oozes, the cavern leads deeper into a portal to the elemental plane of ooze/earth.
>>
>>52132280
Get ready to have zero options!
>>
>>52132319
>everything is is ehh
Everything is viable outside of PHB ranger and Wot4E Monks. Bard Cleric and Wizard are undoubtedly the best classes though, you are 100% correct on that count.
>>
>>52132280
Sometimes the simplicity just feels great. I guarantee that you will come to like it more. My prime example has to be 5e's barbarian compared to pathfinder's. The pathfinder barbarian has so much cluttered garbage it's just annoying. 5e understands what every class does and allows them to do it well. It feels like the original D&D, and every class feels unique and like they contribute to the group (except for monks and sorcerers)
>>
>>52132338
Kobolds put all their Tucker Points into a Flail Snail trap that springs at the entrance, slowly pushing them further into the dungeon.The party now needs to both find the treasure they're after, and a way to get past the Flail Snail.

The treasure is a magical salt lick
>>
>>52132275
The players should play smarter. I would've wanted the challenge of facing such a monstrosity and well designed to boot.
>>
>>52132317
Everything from 3.0 onwards removed something that I actually saw a lot of from old AD&D stories and the rulebooks - players taking advantage of terrain and making crazy plans. First time my dad ran a game for me, I defeated an enemy by tripping him down the stairs. I've barred doors to get time to set traps. I don't really see that sort of thing.
I suppose it's because of the Most-Common Idiot factor. DMs didn't know when to hold back, players didn't know how to fight smart, so they made it so you have to work to make a challenge for players, and players don't have to think that hard, just reduce your primary things down to damage per round and dungeon skill challenge utility.
Which is why one guy once screamed at me for putting ranks in a craft skill. It wasn't even his game.
>>
>>52132280
You can actually create what you want and have it actually function well.
4e was pretty good, but you're free from PTSD from the other system now.
>>
>>52132372
I guess I have to think about it a bit and decide how exactly I should do it.

For reasons both good and bad, I came up with the idea of DMing Baldur's Gate to a player who's never played it (I guess I've mentioned it in a couple of threads). It's been going pretty well (we're six sessions in, it's honestly been really fun), but looking at the stuff later on, I'm having to actually think a bit about how I should do some of it. Stuff like statting Sarevok and the like.

I guess I should actually just stop looking at the 2e stats for all that altogether since they're pretty distracting and make me think I should actually consider them in any real way when statting things.

So far, I've mostly gotten by on just using the stuff in the MM and the other books. Baldur's Gate 1 is this weird (but also kind of fun) thing where you have a lot of almost-sandbox wandering, but there's still a main plot and an expected proggression of levels/power. Kind of both, kind of neither.

In hindsight, I maybe should have picked an easier first real 5e campaign to DM. I've DM'd an adventure or two before, but I admit I wasn't exactly prepared for this. Still, it's been a lot of fun and it feels like I'm not fucking up.
>>
>>52132385
>Wot4E Monks

How did WotC fuck that up so badly? Seriously, how? What made them look at it and go "yeah, this is good and competent?"

I had a total fucking novice who's NEVER before played a tabletop game look at the options for his 3rd level monk, and even he thought it looked terrible.
>>
>>52132312
I've been told we're able to use anything legal, but only Volos races (which I'm assuming are like monsters and such?).
>>
>>52132549
The races in Volo's Guide to Monsters are Aasimar, Firbolg (think of the most fucking cliched Noble Native American you can get, now multiply by ten), Goliath, Kenku, Lizardfolk, Tabaxi and Triton.

If you want something less monstrous, Goliath, Aasimar and Triton are probably the best bets.
>>
>>52132549
Yeah, Volo's races are more monstrous, and some would argue overpowered - save Kobolds, which are pretty underpowered if you ask me..

What the other anons were saying is largely true - unless you purposely build a suboptimal character, pretty much anything you can make in 5e will fall into Pathfinder tiers 3 and 4. Clerics, Bards, and Wizards cat get pretty high in tier 3 and even hit low tier 2, while Rangers and Monks are pretty low tier 4, verging on high tier 5.
>>
>>52132575
Lore Bards are easily T2. Arcana Wizards too, but those are UA.
>>
>>52132575
Hunter Ranger is still 4, Monks except Wot4E are definitely 4 or higher, all Ranger varieties with the newest UA rework are 3 or 4
>>
>>52132615
Yep.

>>52132630
Yeah, the only tier 5s are Beastmaster PHB Rangers and Wot4E Monks.
>>
>>52132435
Can't you still do that in 4e or 5e?
3e probably had mechanics covering it.
>>
>>52132645
I thought they actually adressed the Beastmaster in some UA or something? Gave it some stuff to make it at least viable?

Or was that just some bullshit I've been fed?
>>
>>52132666
They revised the entire ranger class in an UA in September
>>
>>52132435

I honestly feel like the simplicity of 5e is a plus. Means I don't have to navigate a whole mess of rules when my players want to get creative. They get creative a lot, come up with all kinds of plans that have nothing to do with mechanics and utilize the environment in a lot of ways.

If there were actually extensive rules for that, it would feel more restrictive to me. Less is more, in this regard.
>>
>>52132666
It's in the UAs, satan. A bit fucked for multiclassing, but a much better balanced class overall. It actually makes the features feel useful, even though some people complain about "muh specialization", that over-specific bullshit in the PHB is useless far too often.
>>
>>52132704
Care to paraphrase what they changed, exactly? I don't feel like cross-referencing the two versions right now, and I haven't played a ranger or gotten too familiar with it to just eyeball it.
>>
>>52132739
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html

cross-referencing should take literally seconds
>>
>>52131668
>>52131657
Monks are already crazy powerful, or at least Open Hand ones are.
>>
>>52132739
Spells are the same. All of the ranger base features are changed from ribbons to actual combat or utility tools/bonuses. Beast ranger now has a pet that scales with level, gets to move and attack in tandem rather than instead of the ranger and can be resurrected easily.
>>
So if we just finished Storm King's Thunder, what happens next? Do we just do new characters
>>
>>52131956
>>52131915

>Oathbreaker/Warlock

Fucking why? I guess theoretically you could get 2x Cha to damage.

And yes, 64 extra skeletons a day has its uses. Usually, those uses are "infuriate everyone else."
>>
Speaking of beastmaster's is there any good feats? I was thinking Sentinel so I can hit people when they attack the pet and going for Sword and Board.
>>
>>52132799
Well since it's already cheesy as fuck you could make those WLK levels Hexblade and be a SAD Oathbreaker with a skellington swarm you damage boost in 10 feet.
>>
>>52132094
>If you stat an NPC as a PC, how do their levels generally line up with the challenge ratings?

There is no correlation.

>>52132229
What makes you think there is something wrong with Tiamat? 356 DPR with bites, claws, and tail, or 163 + 128 with fire + cold breath, 1 bite, 2 claws, and tail, and +19 to hit.
>>
>>52130992
I'm looking for the Race/Class Options. I thought it would be in the MEGA, but I don't see it.
>>
>>52132819
Sentinel with a small race, ride your wolf. The wolf gets constant advantage, but your action economy will be very weird unless your DM fiats you moving and acting in a combined initiative turn. Consider kobolds for constant advantage for both of you because pack tactics
>>
>>52132224
>I guess my biggest problem with building the monsters according to the expected challenge is that it really feels like it favours the style of play where you adjust challenges to the PC's level.

It has nothing to do with it.

And yes, there are indeed monsters that roughly correspond to PC ratios of offense to defense (mages, drow mages, archmages, for example, all have about the same HP of a PC of their casting ability).

There are also monsters even more glass cannony than a PC would be (the CR 7 Warlock of the Fiend).
>>
>>52132865
Nah I've played a beast rider before and it was fun, but I don't want to repeat it. I was going Human and going to take a Stirge as my pet. It can do some weird shit in the action economy because I have control over it and it doesn't say it uses an action to inflict it's blood sucking.

So hit, latch on, latch off, make a reaction attack when I do, latch on, inflict blood drain, latch off, hit and repeat.
>>
>>52132275
>Well, that's part of the hand-holdiness of 5E. If you peel back the fluff and really look at the mechanics, no halfway competent player is ever really in danger, and is essentially a demigod.

Bullshit.

>>52132317
All TSR editions had challenge scaling metrics, right back to 3LBB. The meme of "playin it old skool meant no challenge ratings or proportionate encounters etc" is strictly false.
>>
>>52132229

I mean, I think Tiamat does pretty okay. Even high level characters are going to get duffed up by all those breath weapons and melee attacks. The real thing is that I think 5E, especially at higher levels, just needs more HP - PCs can do shocking amounts of damage to bad guys, and it would make healing more appealing than just saving it all for zombie tanking.
>>
>>52132385
PHB hunter ranger is fine and compares very favorably to a shooty fighter, plus Spike Growth means autowin vs melee and Silence means autowin against magic (as in "you don't get to do stuff, Mr Wizard., you just die").
>>
>>52132435

>Everything from 3.0 onwards removed something that I actually saw a lot of from old AD&D stories and the rulebooks - players taking advantage of terrain and making crazy plans.

That doesn't have anything to do with the edition.
>>
>>52132575
The only Volo's race that's OP is snek. Kobolds aren't underpowered in the least; to the contrary, they have free advantage in virtually all encounters and can give their party free advantage for a round 1 nova.

The only drawback? Str is slightly more of a dumpstat than it would otherwise be.
>>
>>52132821
Well the main benefit of being an oathbreaker is crazy damage. The main benefit of being a one hander is... defense.

I don't think the PC would be even close to cheesy, unless its a campaign that legitimately has no enemy casters and no enemy dragons.
>>
>>52132575

The only really underpowered race are the Kenku, they're pretty bad. Everyone else borders from fine to OP.
>>
>>52130992
I struggle to find the balance between challenge and death.

The closest we got was our last session, in which the party encountered a storm giant and a party member almost almost died. That is to say they still had nearly 10 health. Which is close, but not on death's door.

I'm not sure they are being challenged by my encounters, but I'm afraid I'm going to kill someone in a setting where resurrection from the dead is difficult.
>>
Suppose I have a group of kensei monk and life cleric and EK. Which class would be preferred
>>
>>52133077

>People getting knocked down to around 10hp
>In a fight with an enemy that deals, on average, 60 damage if both attacks hit
>Even one deals 30
>This wasn't close enough.

Nigga, there was literally no way it could have gotten any tighter than it did.
>>
>>52133081
paladin
>>
>>52133081

Wizard, Bard, or Sorcerer is what I'd go for. You don't have much arcane blasting or control available.
>>
>>52133099
But they seemed entirely unfazed, patched themselves up and carried on.

They brushed it off like nothing!
>>
>>52133118
So?
>>
>>52133118
Are you snarking about how HP doesn't make much sense if you're stupid enough to describe it as wounds, or are you actually wanting to find some way to make combat seem more painful and make it have longer-lasting consequences.
>>
File: Sundering_characters.jpg (83KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Sundering_characters.jpg
83KB, 1024x576px
>>52130992
Is anyone else happy that Forgotten Realms is having a comeback?
I don't know is it just me but I'm glad that most official adventures occur in Faerun, making newcomers to dnd asking about the good old realms.
Maybe it is not as popular as in early 2000s-Baldurs Gate level but still, 08-14 was really the dark ages of FR
>>
>>52133127
Well, I don't know.

I just want them to be scared and thrilled by combat, I want them to enjoy it.

They just didn't seem like they were having fun.

>>52133137
I guess seem more painful and the consequences. I understand HP gets a little silly, and that some systems hamper characters at lower health levels with actual wounds, but I don't think 5e has rules for that, does it?
>>
>>52132701
It's not just whether or not there are rules covering it: it's about letting players know that this sort of thing is an option. If they don't know it's even possible, they don't try.
I suppose it's also DM fault - most DMs don't really try to put in interesting terrain, because interesting means magic.
>>52132651
The mechanics were... odd, and carried a good chance of failure. Meaning most people didn't use them. I think damage from falling down stairs was... PHB2? Or Complete Warrior or whatever that book was.
>>52132946
I know I know, every game has people who play it in the simplest way possible. I don't care, I am Grognard, Son of Grognard.
>>
>>52133107
>>52133111
Yeah a charisma class is needed I guess, was planing to play rogue expertise cause the group lack a party face.

I have stat of 18 17 15 13 8 8
>>
>>52133145

>I just want them to be scared and thrilled by combat, I want them to enjoy it.

>I guess seem more painful and the consequences

You can't seem to make up your mind. These are opposing concepts.
>>
So just finished a session.

Players accepted a quest in the underdark and one of them got separated and captured by a dark elf.

Fun ways to resolve this? Was thinking of him being sold off as a slave/prison break scenario. The interesting thing is that he's a ranger and his pet is safe back with the rest of the party.

I'm thinking of letting him play only as his pet instead of splitting the narrative too much until/if they're reunited. Thoughts?
>>
>>52133158

I'd say Lore Bard then. Be a face, get nice support spells for your team. Steal some blasting if you need it, be a skill god.
>>
File: FourElements.pdf (5MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
FourElements.pdf
5MB, 1x1px
>>52131657
>>
>>52133166
Well, they have said they enjoy painful combat that has consequences for bad planning.

The risk of pain and consequences would make them scared and thrilled in combat.

They will enjoy that.

How are they opposing concepts now that you have the information that they enjoy these things?
>>
>>52133188
>now that you have the information that they enjoy these things

Well, they *might*, anyway. Depends on the context. All players are gonna say they want consequences, all players are gonna say there should be risk, etc.
>>
>>52133005
Well not only are you a MADpaladin, which is a pretty beefy buff on its own, all your skelebros are boosted by your AOE as well.

Granted your skeletons aren't as swole as a WIZ ones but they make up for it with numbers and you being able to frontline for them more effectively.
>>
>>52133200
Well than what am I suppose to do?
>>
>>52133211

If you're going to sacrifice tankiness for skeletons... you'd better be sacrificing it for actually good skeletons. Strikes me as a really bad trade.
>>
>>52133218
Make good encounters and scenarios?
>>
>>52133223
Ye but 64 skeletons nigga.

That said WLK/WIZ is probably the better choice.
>>
>>52130999
voted Four Elements because I've been playing the homebrew version since it came out and it's my favorite character
>>
File: Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg (49KB, 430x591px) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg
49KB, 430x591px
>>52133143
Not a fan of Forgotten Reams, it's too populated at the top by overpowered ex-PCs, and far too God-ridden.
>>
>>52133143
Personally I fucking hate the Realms. It's got an incredible amount of lore for being a fairly dull setting. While I think it certainly could have been handled better than it was, the Spellplague was one of the most interesting things to ever actually happen in the Realms. Storms of wild magic, the transposition of an entire kingdom off the face of Toril, really an interesting shakeup.
>>
>>52133338
I'm honestly baffled by the fact that Realms devotes incredibly much space and effort into aggressively being as dull and nondescript as possible. It's not just vanilla, you can do that well in a way that makes it feel positive, it's active effort to make things as nothing as possible.

One big issue is, I'd say, that it lacks context. Everything is there in a big blob of generic fantasy and there's really nothing that makes any of it pop. It all tries its very best to be shaped like itself and nothing else. If you see an ogre, that ogre means absolutely nothing else but the fact that there's an ogre.

It just baffles me how much effort they put into being as little as possible. It's not lazy, there's so fucking much material. it's intentional and pointed.
>>
>>52131657
Meh.

I let monks have these things as a housrule and you should probably too:

>d10 Hp die (cause fuck having the same HP die as rogues while not having the spare points for an ASI spent on CON)
>Longswords are now monk weapons
>Flurry of Blows now scales with level (2 unarmed strikes at lvl 2, 3 at lvl 8 and 4 at lvl 15)
>The current capstone replaces empty body and a new capstone is added that boosts their Dex and Con by 4 once they reach lvl 20.
>>
>>52130992
I'm hoping for a soul knife order and a chance to remake my old battlemind through order of the immortal.
>>
>>52133081
Go lore bard archer.
Grab Booming blade for melee and some ranger spells for ranged.
>>
>>52132849
>>52132925
She can still deal appreciably more damage, truth to be told.

Also, just can give her maximum hit points and/or increase her regenerative rate.
>>
>>52133389
I'm down with everything but Longswords and the Flurry Scaling up.
However, I simply do this. Instead of the d10 is move purity of body to level 9, and give an extra ASI at level 10. Also, perfect soul I just handwave it to "at the start of combat you always have at least 4 ki points."

When it comes to Wot4e though, I think it definitely needs heavy homebrewing or a rewrite. It can still be fun, but you really just feel like a really shitty caster whenever you do the abilities.

For my players that want to be an elemental monk but prefer to focus on one element, we usually just tweak the sun soul to fit the element they like. And possibly replace the level 6 ability with one of the unique non-spell disciplines.
>>
Jerry Holins is the worst part of Acquisitions Inc. He is just cringe.
>>
>>52133466
You misspelled best.
>>
>>52133475
The worst. He has a massive ego and hates fun.
>>
Is there a supplement for CharGen or a character creator similar to Chummer for 5e?
>>
My players are about to challenge an aboleth at level 5. How fucked are they?
>>
>>52133513
very, assuming the aboleth isn't dumb enough to ever surface
>>
>>52133501
Sorry, I meant PCGen
>>
>>52133466
>cringe
Go be 12 somewhere else. Also there is no "worst" part of Acq. Inc. The entire thing is garbage.
>>
Hello guys, I need a little bit of help with my campaign. My players have been sent by a portal to another part of the world by the King, to help him find the BBEG. The thing they don't know is that the king is actually the BBEG in disguise that is trying to get them killed. I was thinking about the city they have just got in was a big illusion, but I don't have any more ideas. What can I do?
>>
>>52133585
>the whole city is an illusion
The fuck. What a horrible way to kill someone.

You should've made it incredibly obvious as soon as they stepped through that the king was a BBEG. He should've transported them somewhere like hell or some shit.

Now they should fight their way out and take revenge/stop the king.
>>
>>52133611
Thing is, the players are still at a low level, and I would like the campaign to last a bit longer.
>>
>>52133451

I don't get the point of boosting her HP when as the leader of evil dragons, of abishai, and of a secret society of dracolich creators, she's got unlimited powerful minions.
>>
>>52133640
Make it a city where half the people are in on a sacrificial cult or something, so the characters will be put off guard for a bit, then BAM! They're attacked in their sleep. But they're attacked by the non cultists for being sent in by the BBEG, the cult sponsor, so they think the cultists are the sane ones they need to help. Have the hints be there that they're fucking up, but only make it obvious near the end.

If the BBEG ends up using the heroes as his personal hit squad, that could be cool.
>>
>>52133640
You can put them in what is essentially a hellscape without actually killing them.

The idea is to telegraph what is clearly dangerous and what is workable.
Even just transporting them into the underdark thinking "there's no possible way they'll get out of there alive" would prove to be a better plan.

The illusion thing has me asking several questions. An entire city is an illusion?
Who is maintaining that illusion?
Is it such a grand illusion that the people that populate it are programmed to respond in natural ways?
What part of the illusion did the king expect to kill them?

I can list a lot of other ideas instead of the underdark that make plenty of sense to me and you can easily build a story of survival and revenge from there.
>He dumps them into the ocean
OH FUCK. Nearly drown them. Have them get attacked by sharks and shit. Whatever the outcome, they wind up on a beach somewhere but they have no idea where they are at first.

>Plop them in a desert
They search endlessly for miles. Failing and failing. Suddenly a motherfucking darude sandstorm. They're half buried and wake up disoriented as a funny brown skinned merchant man comes waltzing by on a camel. He guides them to a nearby city. He's their new contact and due to his friendly nature he even lets them set up base at his place.
>>
>>52133611
>>52133640
Very simple
This other world is kinda of a prison of sort where all of the BBEG pass enemies are imprisoned (torture etc) and so the party has to beat the prison guards of this plane and gather enough allies to return to the real world to kick his ass
>>
>>52133705
This too is totally chill.
Bottom line is I think the place he sent them should immediately be bad news. Don't pussyfoot around with an "illusion city." Let them know they walked into a trap ASAP.
>>
>>52133696
>>52133683

When I think Illusion City, I think Anor Londo in Dark Souls which would be super awesome.
>>
>>52133585
>>52133696
Drop them into some elven ruins with lots of statues and a Medusa guarding the place.
Killing her breaks the stone curse on one statue, elf takes them to a village nearby.
>>
>>52133696
>>52133683
>>52133705
>>52133734
Thank you for the ideas. I will just scrap the illusion, then.
>>
>>52133771
That was my idea basically. The illusion is being mantained by an evil mage disguised as an absolutely simple peasant, which has been given power by the king to do so. When they kill him, the town loses its charm and shows its true colors.
>>
>>52133808
See now that's not terrible.
But you need a way to get shit moving.

What did the king tell them they were supposed to do in this city?
>>
You ever just throw random glowing shit at your players and see what they do with it?

Today my players spent about 2 hours trying to figure out the safest way to get these glowing rocks that did nothing but glow.
>>
>>52133821
So, the Heroes were about to defeat what they think is the BBEG, but he teleported away. So he said to them that his informants had seen the BBEG's cult members in this city, and he told them to go check for clues
>>
>>52133653
But a GM isn't going to place infinite minions with her. She'll need to pose a sufficient challenge herself.
>>
>>52133928
>But a GM isn't going to place infinite minions with her.

An ancient chromatic dragon of each type is a good start.

>She'll need to pose a sufficient challenge herself

She poses more than sufficient challenge, so...
>>
Anyone out there looking forward to tales from the portal? I started playing dnd when 5th came out so ive never had experience with the old dungeons, anyone here have any experience with them? should i be excited?
>>
>>52134176
I'm going to be running all of them in order with various groupings of players. Should be fun.
>>
>>52134176
Tomb of Horrors is as deadly as you've heard, Sunless Citadel is a really good low level adventure and White Plume Mountain is honestly a pretty unique premade.

My favorite is Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan though. It's a pyramid that's full of awesome traps and cursed items. I won't spoil anything but it's honestly amazing fun and tha Aztec theme's cool.

Haven't played the rest and I'm looking forward to Forge of Fury.
>>
So how do you guys use the very minor fiends (larvae, lemures, manes, etc.) other than as color?

Do you think its unthematic for, say, gnolls, chitines and ghouls to have been gifted, say, manes and dretches by their demon lords?
>>
>>52131152
nice
>>
>>52134269
Check out Volo's Guide, for example the Gnoll War Band Special Creatures table
>>
>>52133982
>She poses more than sufficient challenge, so...
Not so for many who get their jollies in claiming instant victory over her.
>>
>>52133982
>An ancient chromatic dragon of each type is a good start.
This can be assumed, right?
>>
>>52132246
Unfortunately conjuration is one of the weaker schools.
>>
>>52134238
>not adding a single hypen to make the Hidden Shrine of Tamoa-chan Japanese themed instead
>>
Are there any good ways to play a Drow? I've never had the chance and think a Drow Sorcerer could be fun to do, maybe a run away slave. I was thinking of making him still treat females with higher respect then males and listen to their orders, but I don't want to make it too magical realm.
>>
>>52134535
Nope.

>women are spider-pantie dominatrixes
>men are backstabbing femmeboys
>the "good" ones are viewed as loldrizztxDD

Just avoid the entire race. It was made to be magical realm.
>>
>>52134534
>Not changing a single letter to make the Hidden Shrine of Tamoa Khan Mongolian themed instead
>>
>>52134534
Get out you fucking weeb!
>>
>>52134533
I guess times really have changed.
>>
> Finally able to sneak Nuclear druid into a westmarch campaign with several DMs.

What should I expect? How many DM will flip their shit?
>>
>>52131152
How are you getting mantle of flame on eldritch blast?
>>
>>52134535
Yes, but you have to avoid the cliches, you should read the RA Salvatore books, Drizzt himself is really the only example of how to do a good Drow right, and Bob writes evil Drow excellently, especially in the earlier books.
>>
>>52132246
>>52134533
> not memeing "I make a miniature star" and "I made a miniature blackhole".
>>
>>52134564
>4chan
>get out weeb

keked and checked.

>>52134578
>you use your nuke for the first time
>the DMs unanimously agree "No"
>b-but muh rule interpretation
>Sorry kid

I expect none of them will flip their shit and just rule 0 you out, leaving you with a shitty memebuild druid with no nuke.
>>
>>52134588
I've read the first three of him escaping the Underdark, good insight into their culture beyond spiders and sex. I was actually thinking of making him more Neutral and quite simply slow in the head. He fucked up and had to run but he never really understood the religion and the laws, he just did what someone told him to do.
>>
>>52134588
>Drizzt himself is really the only example of how to do a good Drow right

Did we read the same books?

>I AM THE HUNTER
>I take off my shoes so no one can hear me coming
>WARBGHGLHLL I DUAL WIELD SWORDS AND BECOME THE DARK BLENDER AND KILL TWO HUNDRED ORCS
>My panther statue comes to life and also kills some orcs
>Mielikki said I'm a good boy
>>
>>52134564
>calling someone a weeb on a traditional gaming/ Japanese manga image board
>>
>>52134622
This is a good reaction image.
>>
>>52134588
>>52134613
>>52134618

Jarlaxle is the GOAT Drow and written way better.
>>
>>52134595
So all of them flip their shit.
>>
>>52134631
use it anytime friend, it's yours now.
>>
>>52134618
Yes we did, you're just a moron who can't see nuance when its slapping you in the face.
>>52134613
that sounds like a fine character concept, i'd approve.
>>52134633
I prefer Drizzt as a template for any Good character of a Not Lawful approach, Jarlaxle is a great Lawful Evil, such a fun character.
>>
>>52134634
Calmly telling your player that his idea doesn't mesh with the campaign and won't be allowed isn't really flipping your shit, at all.

And you can't even get mad because you never brought it up to them ahead of time and tried to "sneak" it into their game.

Normal reasonable person
>Hey guys, I want to use this UA class build to make a druid who does hundreds of points of damage with magic missile, figured I'd run it by you first
>>
>>52134652
>RA Salvatore
>nuance

Holy fuck my sides have left and gone to Sigil and the Lady of Pain has put them in a maze for making a mess that the Dabus had to clean up.
>>
>>52134652
Bruh RA Salvatore is literally the popcorn action movie flick-tier author. There's no nuance in his books at all. Drizzt is a shameless Mary Sue who is the best at everything and is loved by all the important characters of the setting. The "omg he's a bad nasty drow man" portion of his backstory barely comes up because everyone recognizes him. It only gets worse as he trains Wulfgar to also be a Sue fuck.

Bruenor was okay for a while until they brought him back to life (the first time).
>>
>>52134653
> can't handle hundreads point of damage burst

Enjoy regular old Paladin and the new Warlock brah.
>>
My DM says I must declare if I use Shield (the spell reaction) when he tells me that he would hit me, and not when he initially makes the attack (i.e. after the result is known).

This benefits me but it feels wrong, I thought I'd have to declare using Shield the moment an attack starts.
>>
>>52134663
Drizzt is a great character if emulated correctly, as he appears in the books, particularly the earlier ones when Bob was allowed to be nuanced in his character portrayals. You just sound like a bitter faggot who still hasn't gotten over the horrible Drizzt clones of days gone by, and hate a fine example of a character.

>>52134683
I'm sorry that I don't read just to stroke my ego, and read to be entertained.

Drizzt is not a Mary Sue, thats Wulfgar bud, he's the one who was supposed to be the main character and could seemingly do no wrong in the first few novels, and he never encountered hate towards himself until he spiraled into alcoholism because of Errtu's torture.

Bruno only came back to life once, that I recall, when all the rest of them came back as well because of Mielikki.
>>
>>52134717
> Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
> when you are hit by an attack

It is pretty clear.
>>
>>52134720
>Drizzt is not a Mary Sue

Spicy
>>
>>52134741
Wait a minute does this mean the +5 AC does not apply to that first attack?

Since you get hit first, and then activate it
>>
>>52134720
>level 16 ranger can 1v1 a Balor
>not a sue
>>
>>52134535
A male drow might revere female drow higher than males, but drow treat all non drow regardless of gender the same way = as slaves and fodder
>>
>>52134578
>What should I expect?
UA content getting banned at your table as soon as the DMs realise this is just exploiting the fact that UA classes/archetypes aren't worded for multiclassing.
>>
>>52134506
>many
You mean UA multiclassing theorycrafters. I doubt there are "many" 5e players who have fought her at all.
>>
>>52134757
No
>>
>>52134578
>What should I expect?

Ruining the use of UA for everyone and making everyone more close minded.
>>
>>52134683
>The "omg he's a bad nasty drow man" portion of his backstory barely comes up because everyone recognizes him.
He had to earn that trust, especially in the beginning of his time on the surface, and even when he became famous he was still viewed with suspicion by most.
Have you read any of it?
>>
>>52134766
Where in the book is it stated he's Level 16? Nowhere.
When did bob ever stat Drizzt?
He didn't.
And it's possible to take on a Balor around level sixteen alone as a Martial, in oretty much every edition if you summon them to an area where they cannot move easily and happen to have picked up a Sword made specifically for killing demons.
>>
Anyone have good ideas for Mul stats?
>>
>>52134715
Warlocks using both their spell slots on smite damage to probably instantly kill an enemy caster or decently hurt a level appropriate foe isn't exactly a problem at any table.
>>
>>52134766
when the book was made it was much easier to 1v1 a balor, they're nothing special by 1e or 3.0 standards for example
>>
>>52131779
>fix wot4e
>"raise open hand to elder god tier!"

How dumb are you?
>>
Is it ever a good idea to dip a level of one fullcaster on a Sorcerer just to get more spells known?
>>
Do your part
and kill all drow.
>>
>>52134757
Read the frigging spell. "Including the triggered attack" is on there
>>
>>52134829
taking a level of cleric is always a good idea
>>
>>52134853
Yep, just realised how good that is for my Stone Sorcerer. Other option's a 2 level dip in Paladin.
>>
>>52134860
Warlock always work. You get 2 short rest slot that can be use to generate sorcery point.
>>
>>52134807
Don't be a faggot. Drizzt's stats and info are widely available for anyone to check throughout the editions.

>>52134824
That's not true at all.
>>
>>52134877
They were not done up by RA Salvatore, thus they aren't valid. In my opinion only a characters creator has the authority to stat them out, Bob never did that. So none of the stats you can find out there are Drizzt's real stats.
>>
>>52134896
Yes they were, you thundering faggot.

>The Hall of Heroes accessory for the second edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, published in 1989, features a four-page description and game statistics for Drizzt and Guenhwyvar, written by R. A. Salvatore
>>
>>52134896
These are the stats RA Salvatore himself provided for Drizzt in AD&D - the more modern stats in the newer game systems were not done by him, but he okayed them.

Drizzt DoUrden
ARMOR CLASS: 1
MOVE: 15
Hit Points: 77
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: By weapon type or
spell
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Spell use, critical
hits (see below)
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Stealth (see below)
MAGIC RESISTANCE: +2 to saves vs.
magic
SIZE: M (54 1
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Good
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
10th-Level Elven Ranger
S:13 I:17 W:16 D:20 C:15 CH:14

He would get absolutely slapped by a Balor.
>>
>>52134942
>>52134969
Weirdly 2e isn't relevant anymore, we're in thread about 5e and Bob has said multiple fucking times that he personally never statted Drizzt out. He wrote the character description and Bio, he did not draw up the stats, WOTC did that.
>>
>>52134992
Can you show me a single interview where RA Salvatore claims he never wrote the statblock for Hall of Heroes?
>>
>someone actually likes Drizzt enough to try and argue that he isn't a Mary Sue despite being one of the #1 examples given of what a Mary Sue is when someone asks

Might as well try to tell me Elminster isn't a sue either.

>he refers to RA Salvatore as "Bob" like they're friends

Depressing desu
>>
>>52130999
>vote long death, excited to see who else thinks thoughtful death monk is cool
>one other dude

o-okay...
>>
>>52135071
Literally the only reason anyone picks Open Hand is because of Quivering Palm.

The fact that it's stuck at a level 17 cap is fucking criminal. 99% of all monk players will never get to that level or be able to enjoy QPing some bitch NPC.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
>>52135034
I didn't say he didn't write up the articles, but he has said throughout many interviews that he doesn't get very involved in statting up characters in his books and that that's left up to WotC. Considering how many of those articles and interviews aren't on the internet, it might take me a while. I could also ask him directly on the RA Salvatore Forums.
>>
>>52135071
Most people like Shadow and Tranquility monk because of their sheer utility at lower levels.
Long death is cool but a mass fear effect and temp hp gained on kills isn't exactly as usefull.
>>
>>52134969

He could unquestionably kill a balor in 1e, dude. 1e balors were pushovers. Daemons were where its at (see piscodaemons and arcanodaemons).
>>
>>52135079

Quivering Palm is FUCKING INSANE, but the fact that they are Battlemaster+ with Flurry of Blows is icing on the cake.
>>
How to fix Monk

>Remove stunning fist
>Move Empty Body to level 20 instead
>Give them a wide range of control to use with ki instead of stunning fist
>Make 4WOT4E monk focused on learning one of the four elements at each archetype feature, gaining the relevant elemental cantrip and a choice of actually cool abilities rather than 'Oh, you can now cast a spell. Well done, the wizard is laughing at you.' Also the archetype features should make up for the loss of stunning fist, so they should be stronger and offer path-relevant control (Such as shadow monks blinding a lot).
Also add a small feature at level 18 and 5 to replace moved skills.

See, I want to get rid of stunning fist because it's really what defines monk and it's what makes monk good, but if a player decides they don't want to use it then they become shit. Also, every ki not spent on stunning fist is often a bit of a waste.
>>
File: image.jpg (217KB, 790x1040px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217KB, 790x1040px
>>52132280
There's a lot of recently added class options that bring back old 4e classes, and it's pretty cool.
Namely Fighter Knight, Primeval Guardian Ranger (Warden), Storm Herald Barbarian (also warden), Hexblade Warlock (Avenger), and Stone Origin Sorcerer (either Battlemind or Swordmage)
>>
>>52135378
>ha ha let's remove the thing that makes the class good so people can do other things with the class

Now a player that decides to pick monk is shit.
>>
>Fighter
>15 str for heavy armor
>magic initiate shilelagh (v. human)
>quarterstaff and board
>raise WIS first
Does this work ?
>>
>>52135378
Back to shitfinder with you, Sean.
>>
>>52135440
The only penalty for not having enough STR is reduce speed.
>>
>>52135431
As I said, you replace it with other features that makes monk good again.

You're removing their one-trick-pony and giving them a range of control instead of 'Okay, I walk up and stun everything then run away again' every combat.
Then give them a slight buff elsewhere to account for the fact the control isn't going to be as generally powerful as just stunning everything.
>>
>>52135132
>>52132781
>>52135121
Is this bizarro /tg/ ?
>>
>>52135453
But if the control isn't as good as stunning things, why would I pick them? Give me examples of control options that are worth losing Stunning Fist for that other classes can't do better already.
>>
>>52135443
>15
>not enough
What do you mean ?
>>
>>52135051
In the original 3, he was a snowflake, but hardly a sue, that didn't happen until he became the true protag.
>>
>>52135478
it didn't happen at all, he was still portrayed true to his character after that.
>>
So if I'm playing a Knight and want to achieve maximum Knight levels, should I take Dueling. Protection or Defence fighting style?

Also should my level 1 human feat be Shield Master or Sentinel?
>>
>>52135485
>Invincible ghettoelf misunderstood by his peers, loved by all, wins every fight, and gets resurrected in the future because of how special he is

You're right that he's always been true to his character, his character being a huge fucking sue.
>>
>>52135476
He means dump strength for an extra point in stat buy. Later on you can take Mobile to cancel it out anyway.
>>
>>52135475
Other classes can already do stuns (Mostly looking at some wizard spells and such, though they don't tend to do damage at the same time)

Monk's notable trait is they can do these things repeatedly while doing damage.

Unlike a wizard, they can force saves on the same creature again and again and again and then just run the fuck away.

You could dramatically reduce an opponent's speed, blind an opponent, disarm an opponent... Actually, now I think about it, this is going into battlemaster territory. But the monk still has differences, especially inarchetype and would appear to have more resources to use and probably having less damage/health than the battlemaster.

And even if the replacements aren't as strong as stunning fist, the versatility will make them more interesting and the versatility is a boon in itself.

And you then pick monk because you want to play a skirmisher with great control that you can run around doing ki to do all sorts of fun things with, not 'Okay, I'm a guy whose only purpose in life is to stun anything, and if I try to do cool things then I'm just making myself less effective because I'm not stunning.'
>>
>>52135506
>If you take away the one thing this class is good at and replace it with a bunch of less powerful options, more people will play the class
You are a powerful brand of stupid, my friend.
>>
HOW TO FIX MONK
>BRING BACK 4TH EDITION MONK
>THAT IS ALL
>>
>>52135522
You're a special kind of dyslexia.

>Remove key feature
>Replace with less powerful but more diverse feature
>Also buff monk in certain areas

>Haha you're nerfing monk!
>>
>>52135540
Alright mind giving us some ideas on the new abilities? Saying that a class needs new abilities is all well and good, but no one's going to agree without some samples.
>>
>>52135496
never invincible, hated by as many as those who love him, he still hasn't died, he was on the brink but a boon from a goddess stopped death from happening. what is a Sue to you? Just a main character? because half the time he isn't the only focus, or even the primary focus he's usually one of the deuteragonists or sometimes tritagonists, and often shares the spotlight with his enemies. excellent reading skills you seem to have, are you gonna spout more memes or shut the fuck up?
>>
>>52135540
It IS a nerf though. Monks are shitty right now, even WITH stunning fist.

You want to make Monks better? Don't remove Stunning Fist. Give them other stuff that is worth NOT using Stunning Fist every turn.

>Ha ha we took away your stunning fist, so now you're forced to pick from this variety of shittier options

is not a buff.
>>
>tfw slavery is an accepted social norm in the DM's homebrew setting so you have your character buy a slave and you feel like a that guy
>>
>>52135555
Buy a bunch and use them as a swarm of attack pets. Hell be a Beastmaster and take one as you pet, call it the 'Slavemaster"
>>
>>52135463
What? Monks are great, especially Open Hand ones.
>>
>>52135555
>Not armoring up your slave, having them cook meals, prepare camp, and take notes you dictate

>Not treasuring your slave above all things, and when you finally get a place of your own give it to your slave to manage for you, with their word as your own in your absence

>Not letting your slave find a family of his own, and raise them on your property, and letting their kids play with your kids

Do you even gentry?
>>
>>52135551
>1v1 a Balor, not invincible bruh
>2v1'd a dragon with his adopted Barbarian son, not invincible bruh
>Oh btw he never actually died, but never invincible
>the only people that hate him are moustache twirling level villains, there's never some random child that's like "Get your filthy drow hand off me, ibleth"
>cringe-inducing paragraphs about taking off his boots and wading into hordes of orcs and killing hundreds in a row while doing backflips and being anime as fuck

A Sue to me is an invincible piece of shit that has no flaws, and even when they have an obvious "Look at this!11!" scenario for fanboys to point at as a 'flaw', it isn't a flaw at all.

>Oh no he's from a race of EVIL elves
>Actually he's not evil he's a good guy
>It's his entire race that are wrong
>Drizzt a good boi

Being a sue has nothing to do with who the focus of the story is on. It has to do with being the equivalent of a 13 year old fanfiction writer's idea, which is exactly what Drizzt is.

>The Balor destroys your dark elf
>Nuh uh, my dark elf backflips and gets an anti-demon sword and kills the balor!!!

There's no memes here, you insufferable RA Salvatore dick-riding shit-gobbling brainlet.
>>
>>52133143
>O N E dwarf
>might be a halfling or some shit actually
>everything else is (half)elf, tiefling, or (colored) human im talking about the grey monk dude in the back not the fucking chultan
>>
>>52135548
That's the hard part.

The main things are a level 5 feature to replace stunning fist (Likely a range of control abilities), then buffs to archetypes (Because I just like the archetypes becoming more distinct).
WOT4E is obvious: Elemental cantrips, and two choices a level, as well as some interesting, elemental-themed utility.
Shadow would be interesting if it had better versions of the spells it has, I think, rather than just replicating a caster. Say, moving their zone of silence at a minor cost, or their darkvision letting them see through darkness.
Open hand could just have something to do when they're not using flurry of blows, maybe an extra feature for dodging, dashing and all that with ki.

>>52135553
You seem to completely misunderstand what's going on here.

I could take the spellcasting feature away from the wizard and then buff wizard, and wizard would STILL be good, because I've just said I'd buff wizard appropriately.

As long as one doesn't fuck up on the buff, it's fine. Well, aside from it not being a wizard anymore.

And, honestly, I think monk doesn't need too big a buff. It just needs better level pacing and a lower skill requirement because right now when people play monk it's really easy to fuck it up. If you don't aim for maxing your stats, the mobility feat, a good archetype and spending all your ki on stuns, you'll not be awfully useful.
>>
>>52135583
When the books were written, 1v1'ing a balor, and 2v1'ing a dragon, would not have been very hard for him.

Good drow predate Drizz't and there's a whole frikkin priesthood of good drow. No idea why people find him outrageous, by AD&D standards he's very tame.
>>
>>52135612
>I could take the spellcasting feature away from the wizard

>feature

I'm glad you don't actually work for WotC.
>>
>>52135623
Spellcasting is a class feature.

What the fuck are you on about, Anon?
>>
>>52135631
A wizard without spellcasting is not a wizard. I don't give a fuck what you want to categorize the ability as and shelve it under, but that's like saying "swinging a sword" is a class feature of the Fighter.
>>
>>52135631
For Rangers, Spellcasting is just a feature. For Wizards, moreso than any class in the game, it is the central mechanic of the class. Take that away and you have literally nothing but proficiencies and a d6 hit die.
>>
>>52133378
That's a lot of buzzwords. Maybe explain what you mean by any of them and give examples of "context" and "popping" from other campaign settings.

Or is your gripe that it's standard fantasy without some weird twist like Eberron (everything's magic!) or Dark Sun (everything's Conan / Mad Max!)? Did you have a problem with Greyhawk? Dragonlance? The non-Red Steel / Hollow World / Blackmoor parts of Mystara? Everything about Birthright that didn't involve Highlander God Blood?

As for what's unique about FR, let me point you to all the cracked-out places, ancient civilizations, interesting cultures, and special cosmological circumstances in the setting that everyone eschews in favor of running around in Cormyr, Dalelands, or Amn/Northern Sword Coast LIKE it's Cormyr and the Dalelands.
>jhaamdath
>netheril
>hordelands
>zakhara
>maztica
>the underdark
>non-fucking-stop demonic, devilish, angelic, and extraplanar invasion
Forgotten Realms cries out to be played in the old school, swashbuckling, high-fantasy style of earlier settings, with people boarding airships or teleport circles or persistent fly spells and jetting off to exotic locales to battle enormous demons and fire elementals and ancient magical constructs.

But no. It's start at level one, never do anything with your sword that isn't stabbing people, and piddle around slaying orcs and the occasional Drow in Not-England even though every shred of established lore is telling you that you're not only doing that particular place wrong, you're fucking up the entire setting.

The Underdark is a fantastic example of what's going on here. I loathe it, but it is different, it is somewhat unique. And yet, at this point, it's considered banal. It's so familiar, so old, so DONE that everyone's eyes glaze over the fine details and cry out for something new. So the problem isn't really the setting, it's the fact that it's no longer novel.
Eberron would suffer the same fate if it were the default for as long.
>>
File: Spellcasting is a feature.png (90KB, 299x125px) Image search: [Google]
Spellcasting is a feature.png
90KB, 299x125px
>>52135640
That doesn't change the fact it's a feature.

>>52135640
>>52135636
Also I literally said this in my post.
>Well, aside from it not being a wizard anymore
So I don't even know why we're talking about this when it's irrelevant to the fact that I'm saying 'If I say I take away a class's feature and I replace it with a suitable buff, that isn't a nerf. It's a nerf or buff depending on what it's replaced with, but you don't know what it's replaced with.'
>>
>>52134578
>What should I expect?
Not reaching the level where your bullshit "comes online".
>>
>>52135574
>>52135555
Not having a cute Tanuki girl slave as your daugtheru.

Do you even Shield hero?
>>
>>52135636
>>52135640
A true polymorphed wizard lost his spell casting class feature.

He is still a Wizard though.
>>
>>52135667
Level 3 is all you need for nuclear druid to come online.
>>
>>52135688
Not really. You won't have enough Twilight Scythe dice to actually do anything.
>>
>>52135583
Not that anon, but in the original trilogy he was a party member with an edgy loner background with a racism plot. He wasn't all that different than the rest, other than being an edgelf.

Hell,in a campaign Regis wouldve been the biggest that guy, dickass thief, required DM fiat for combat without fleeing, and a backstory that required a selfish solo plot.
>>
File: FmYjcHV.gif (1024KB, 218x228px) Image search: [Google]
FmYjcHV.gif
1024KB, 218x228px
>>52135497
Ok thanks

10/14/13+1/15+1/12/8 ?
>>
>>52135583
1v1 a balor which at the time for a level 10 ranger was well within such a characters abilities, the demon sword just made it a lot easier,
2v1'd a White Dragon not that hard for two characters statted at around level 10 in 2e AD&D,
He has never been invincible, he has been close to death many many times, yeah it's coincidence and sheer fortune that got him out of some of those no different than most protagonists.
Have you even read the books? many times he runs into people who hate him for what he is, no matter what he's done. There are always people that are going to be like that.
I don't remember that last part there, didn't that only happen when he thought all his friends were dead? and he put them back on before he encountered the orcs? Yeah, I do believe that's the case, then again he's an elf, going barefoot is nothing unusual for them, even in battle.

Your entire argument here lies on the premise that you somehow know how all 13 year-old's think, or that most of them think like that. My young cousin and her friends are still into stupid shit like most people at 13 in fact she plays a Tabaxi Ranger, not very well, but i believe I can teach her to play better. I can tell you a Neutral Good Drow Ranger was not the kind of character I wanted to play at 13, i wanted to play characters like Ramsay Bolton, or Elric of Melnibone, edgy cunts, which Drizzt is not he's more like the inverse of edgy.

that last part shows that you are a shit DM, I don't ride any authors dick, you are memeing and you need to chill the fuck out and get over yourself you sound like fucking Virt,
>>
>>52135693
You can cast level 2 magic missile and do 36 average damage. Only twice but that is something.
>>
>>52135688
>he's not even getting to level 3
Man, I almost feel sorry for you.
>>
>>52135706
Looks about right, I assume you accidentally put Wisdom and Intelligence the wrong way around. I'd swap Intelligence and Strength for saves and carrying stuff, it's a matter of opinion though.
>>
>>52135667
>>52135688
It's not 'online' in a broken sense at that level.

It's effective and honestly overpowered, but it doesn't get truly broken until you get more levels.

At level 3, you can cast 4 missiles dealing 1d4+1+1d10 damage. About 36 unavoidable damage.
At level 5, you can cast 5 missiles dealing 1d4+1+2d10. About 73 unavoidable damage.
At level 7, you can cast 6 missiles dealing 1d4+1+3d10. About 120 unavoidable damage.

At least for the first few levels it's not much worse than what a PAM paladin can do easily.

A DM might allow it at first, and then if you can keep it through the entire campaign they'll only realize how broken it is once it's too late.
>>
>>52135726
>Setting doesn't have an army of anti-caster knights adorned with brooches of shielding
Shit DMs, desu senpai
>>
>>52135696
But "That Guy" =/= Sue.
>>
>>52135749
Free loots for martials? cool. I think we just got infinite money scheme.
>>
>>52135710
But Elric isn't an edgy cunt at all. He's arguably the proto-Drizzt. He's from a race of evil fags and he decides he wants to do good. The main difference is that Elric is flawed, and he often fails in his endeavors despite his best efforts, unlike Drizzt.

Elric is infinitely more nuanced than Drizzt.
>>
>>52135749
They should hopefully have that, but it's unlikely everybody will have those until a certain point where maybe they have to mass-manufacture a sort of knock-off brooch of shielding that has the intent of making it so magic missile can't target them, but it has flaws. So the party can try to find ways to disable those mass-manufactured items the evil cult is getting its hands on to counter your druid.
>>
>>52135764
And boom, meme build has just created a story hook.
>>
>>52135431
>>52135522
>>52135553

>>52135659
I really admire your patience and kindness when dealing wih special ed kids.

And why do you think 'stunning strike all day' can't be solved by raising ki cost (along with buffs solewhere else to compensate the overall nerf) ?
>>
>>52135710
I don't care how many times you want to pretend that 1v1ing a Balor is "well within the abilities" of a level 10 ranger. The books indicate that Errtu is literally in contention to be a rival with Balor himself, the demon that the entire fucking race is named after. He's supposed to be a big deal. He's WRITTEN to be a big deal.

The reason why Drizzt pub-stomps him is because he's a fucking sue.

The same thing with a dragon.

There's a reason that Drizzt isn't running around killing dragons and balors every few pages like it's no big deal - it's SUPPOSED TO BE A BIG DEAL. And they fail in their delivery of that because Drizzt wins at everything he does.

Drizzt novels are not good. They are literally garbage, especially compared to things like Fafherd and Grey Mouser. I'm not sure why you have such a raging need to defend some of the shittiest swill produced by our hobby but it is what it is.
>>
>>52135771
>>52135764
Sounds like an incredibly stupid way to challenge an unstoppable kind of PC instead of disallowing it. Now to provide any challenge at all, an enemy has to be able to cast a certain spell or have a certain item.
>>
>>52135791
That wouldn't be bad, but what defines monk really is spammable control. If you make control less spammable but their other features better, it's..

Of course, that's similar to what I said. I said to nerf stunning fist by making it into a diverse range of control (More like open hand gets: Shove, push, remove reaction. Except probably slightly stronger). The difference is the control is still intended to be spammable.

At the very least I don't support all the movements saying 'Let's buff the monk's health!' because I think it suits them to be a bit flimsy.
>>
>>52135805
Or just more combat per day. It's not like they can regenerate Harvest's scythe on short rest.
>>
File: img_1026.jpg (108KB, 481x641px) Image search: [Google]
img_1026.jpg
108KB, 481x641px
Anyone ever get a pdf of the nord 5e compatible critical hit and fail decks.?
>>
>>52135833
> critical fumble
No.
>>
>>52135809
>the guy that physically trains his body to be peak human to the point where his fists can punch platemail wearing enemies unharmed should be flimsy

Nah.
>>
>>52135804
>I don't care how many times you want to pretend that 1v1ing a Balor is "well within the abilities" of a level 10 ranger.

Not the guy you're responding to, but I honestly hate how new kids to the hobby like yourself jump in and analyze old stories with the new rules in mind. Its myopic as hell.

When the story was written, a level 10 ranger can definitely curb stomp the strongest balor possible -- and they were rated with 3 tiers in mind, but were honestly not that great. White dragons, likewise, were not that great.

The idea of type VI's and dragons being unstoppable 1v1 didn't arise til much later.

>Drizzt novels are not good.

The novels being good or bad doesn't alter the fact that Drizz't was clearly written at the power level of that which is obtainable in game. You should be thankful he didn't 1v1 Lolth.
>>
>>52135612
>That's the hard part.
I like the cut of your gib, but have you considered instead to
>REDUCE Ki Points (to probably 1 per tier)
>Using a Ki Point lets the Monk use whatever Ki effect they have at their disposal, until the end of turn, and powers up their martial abilities (2 martial arts bonus action attacks, all attacks are stunning, increase damage dice, maybe throw in dodge too! make it really feel powerful)
>give extra riders to Stunning (now known as Ki-empowered) Fist, for variety, possibly lesser control effects (slow, blind, prone...) that last into the round after the stun
>and lower the power level for the 'off' rounds

5 minute workday? It's a 2-rounds workday! This way monks would be powerful, and useful to a party (they'd break all legendary resistances in a round), but would lose steam in a prolonged fight, what glass jaws.
>>
Why is nuclear druid is such a meme build? I thought build that only do damage (like Champion) doesn't really matter in 5e?
>>
Oath of the crown or oath of conquest? I could fit either one to my character that I'm planning, but idk which i prefer.
>>
>>52135883
>I thought build that only do damage (like Champion) doesn't really matter in 5e?

The exact opposite is true -- hit point damage is by far the most reliable and easiest way to end fights in 5e.
>>
>>52135858
>new kids to the hobby
>When the story was written, a level 10 ranger can definitely curb stomp the strongest balor possible

Again, you're full of shit. It has nothing to do with the new rules. Drizzt wasn't like "Oh, a Balor, no big deal, I'll just curb stomp him!"

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/tanatbal.php

Here's an AD&D Balor.

First you claim that stats don't matter at all, and that RA Salvatore never wrote stats for Drizzt so they're fake. Then you get blown the fuck out because he DID write them. Now you pretend like a level 10 Ranger "back in the day" could slay Balors left and right. Which they still couldn't.

Please show me how a normal level 10 Ranger would deal with that.
>>
>>52135844
What's to say every other adventurer doesn't train their body a lot, as well?

The deal is the monks aren't trying to put on a lot of muscle and fat like a barbarian, and they may live on a much stricter diet. Overall, they have more in common with rogues in terms of bodily build.

I mean, a 1d10 can be justified, but I think 1d8 suits them more mechanically to make them the true 'skirmisher' class. Rogues are merely half-skirmisher, being able to focus more on con due to being less MAD and having uncanny dodge.
>>
>>52135886
Crown, probably. Conquest is a bit dull imo -- you're just an ass kicking paladin-fighter who is mean. Crown gets more interesting effects, including an ability that prevents people from kiting them for all eternity.
>>
>>52135761
They live in different worlds with different themes and mores flavoring their fights and conflicts throughout each of their lives and I call Elric edgy because he's doomed to fail and fall to evil one day, no matter what, because his blade is cursed, in fact it is the embodiment of chaos, as I recall. I won't say he isn't more nuanced than drizzt because he is, but there are different levels of nuance.

>>52135804
No, he's written that he thinks he's good enough to challenge Balor himself, Pro-tip: he's not. In fact he wanted Crenshinibon so that he could have that strength, he lost, because he went into a parlay with a strange drow unprepared and into a disadvantageous position, thats why he lost, because he's not nearly as powerful and clever as he thinks he is.

The dragon was asleep and covered in a layer of ice, when Drizzt encountered him and was killed not by Drizzt but by Wulfgar. Drizzt was the distraction when wulfgar proved stupid enough to wake the dragon up.

He has only killed Errtu twice, and killed two separate dragons, actually no he just helped with the one, the other was entirely Bruenor.

It's not even close to the shittiest swill produced by the hobby. I won't claim they're the greatest thing ever, it's not, thats LOTR. It's like you think he's as bad as fucking Stephanie Meyer and her shit tier books, I read those too, and I honestly couldn't fucking believe how bad they were, and the sick feeling left in my soul after I was done, in contrast, I've also read all of the Drizzt books, and every one of them even the ones focusing on Jarlaxle and Artemis and Cadderly left me feeling warm inside, and they're a good example of entertaining fiction that actually has some good lessons in their pages. Great fiction, they may not be but they are good, that is not debatable.
>>
>>52135905
Elric isn't doomed to fall to evil. The Eternal Champion cycle is the exact opposite in fact; he'll destroy the stalemate locking Law and Chaos in balance and free everything.

Also I pretty much consider Salvatore the male Stephanie Meyer.
>>
Need a background for a Human Primeval Guardian in the next 2 hours. Can someone suggest a basic idea please? I'm completely stumped on this for some reason.
>>
What alignment would you guys consider oath of conquest? I was thinking a background as a soldier who saw too many of his friends slain and took an oath to conquer. Not really sure whether to call this LG/LN/LE.
>>
Hi, /tg, I am having my first ever 5E campaign apart from 1 one-shot, and I want to make a dorf monk. How screwed am I?
>>
>>52135894
>Here's an AD&D Balor.

Yup, they're very weak, even by the standards of the day.

>First you claim

I already pointed out I'm not the guy you were responded to. Balors are pushovers, very pathetic even by the standard of the day.

>Here's an AD&D Balor.

That's a 2e balor, which didn't exist at the time Crystal Shard was published. Derp...

A 1e balor has an average of 44 hp (obviously this one is above average), and 1 attack for 1d12+1 or whip and flame for 2d6 to 4d6.
>>
>>52135804
You seem upset, what did the books go to you?
>>
>>52135951
>Conquest Paladin
>Literally called Hellknights in the fluff paragraph
Lawful Evil.
>>
>>52135951
Probs lawful evil just from reading the tenets.

Not to say you couldn't finagle either of the other two, but yeah.
>>
>>52135953
Kinda..
-1 AC (but that will be offset by higher con and bonus hp from hill dwarf)

-1 attack and damage is a concern though but shouldn't matter too much.
>>
>>52135951
Default alignments are probably:

Devotion: LG
Ancients: NG
Vengeance: LN
Conquest: LN
Crown: LG
Treachery: CE
>>
>>52135951
Depends on the reason behind his conquest really.

Like Cao Cao in Three Kingdoms; he knew if he didn't unify China, everyone would just fucking tear each other to pieces until outside countries squadded up and fucked them into oblivion. So he conquered them and sorted their shit out.

Personally I view that as LG, because LG doesn't mean Nice. And in D&D terms, I think that's fine.

In REAL LIFE terms, people view that shit as LE, sort of an "I know best and I'm going to force everyone to comply" (even if that person was right).
>>
>>52135975
How are both of those a thing?
>>
>>52135991
Dex is the primary stat for monks, controlling AC, to hit, and damage, with wis secondary.
>>
>>52135975

That is compared to what, a human or wood elf?
>>
>>52135997
Oops didn't read it was a one shot.
>>
>>52135905
The Cleric Quintet is genuinely enjoyable.
>>52135919
If you think they are REMOTELY on par you haven't read both, or are delusional.

Meyer can barely get her points across, and the entire plot boils down to 'oh hes so pretty', three fucking times.

The only even moderately interesting world building is done entirely in the last book, and its all the beginning of ideas that lead nowhere.
>>
>>52135999
Yep. Hill dwarf is a strictly third rate choice for them. Almost everyone who isn't a vhuman already starts at a major disadvantage, then picking a char that doesn't even have the right stat is at a further disadvantage. Add to this that the monk already has to scrape together every bonus to hit and damage he can, and you may not be in for a good time.

There's nothing wrong with it, but I've noticed people tend to like to take things that are already pretty contrarian in nature (warlock, monk) and then saddle it with further penalties with contrarian race choices or build choices (ie. "I'm not gonna use EB or the UA smite thingies).

It just amounts to taking a char who will naturally have a hard time and penalizing them further.
>>
File: balor.jpg (93KB, 368x551px) Image search: [Google]
balor.jpg
93KB, 368x551px
>>52135961
Not that guy either, but Balors have never been weak. They were literally inspired by the Balrog of LotR fame.
>>
>>52135978
Vengeance really feels more chaotic than anything.

I mean, the only oath they're binding themself to is 'SPITE THESE PEOPLE YOU REALLY HATE' and it's all about just making sure you kill those people you really hate by all means necessary.
So probably chaotic good, good only because it also mentions helping those wronged by your targets.
>>
>>52136004
No, the plot boils down to "Bella is a fucking idiot, but Vampires are DANGEROUS idiots"
>>
>>52135919
No, he falls to his sword in the end, as it consumes his soul, as it consumed the souls of everyone he cared about, he breaks no cycle, he just changes it's form. Fuck now that I think about it Elric is far more a Sue than Drizzt is, Sorcerer, Summoner, Herbalist expert weilder of a cursed blade, and makes contracts with Demons and gods to acquire power, I'm sure the threats to his life are commensurate with his power, but still he's got some unbelievable abilities and he's only hated so much because he and Drizzt share one thing in common they both have a conscience in societies that don't have a need for the better parts of human nature.

That aside you must be crazy to consider Salvatore anywhere even close to fucking Meyer, she got lucky, he has actually fucking for his success, and it's nothing compared to hers.
>>52136004
Yeah, it was, I may reread them soon, just for he fuck of it.
>>
>>52136031
>No, he falls to his sword in the end, as it consumes his soul, as it consumed the souls of everyone he cared about, he breaks no cycle, he just changes it's form

You.. you know Stormbringer isn't the end of the Elric cycle, right? Literally not even close to being the last thing to happen to Elric because of the Runestaff.
>>
>>52135970
>>52135971
Can I rp LE as a guy who thinks what he's doing is right but in reality is evil? Sorta like the holy knights in berzerk.
>>
>>52136031
>Elric
>A sue

Literally shit on all the time, abused by his own sword, all of his friends die, and he fails at what he wants to do. There's nothing remotely sue about Elric. I don't think you even know what the phrase means if you think Elric is "more sue" than Drizzt, who is one of the penultimate Sues when people need to give examples.
>>
>>52136045
That is the CORRECT way to play LE as a mortal.
>>
>>52136019
>Not that guy either, but Balors have never been weak.

1e balors are definitely weak. See: your own picture.

They don't really compare favorably to elementals, ettins, type V demons, daemons, level 10 dual wielding rangers, etc.
>>
>>52136026
It really doesn't, it goes
>im sad
>hes pretty ooo
>oh shit hes a vampire
>but pretty
>entirely unrelated vampire gets a tooth boner
>book one

repeat but replace sparkles with hair, then back to sparkles.
>>
>>52136024
>Vengeance really feels more chaotic than anything.

They are cited as usually lawful, follow an oath uncompromisingly even at the expense of their own purity or whatever.

I find 9 axis alignment to be almost totally meaningless, but it is what it is.
>>
>>52136011

Well, I want to make a somewhat atypical dwarf character, and monk sounded like something that would kinda work with them. How well can it work and if not, what other options aside from fighter, barbarian, and cleric are worth looking into? Right now there are a cleric, barbarian and a tanky character that is probably a fighter

P.S.: Wait, humans in 5E are even stronger than in 3.x/PF? Good grief,wizards.
>>
>>52136031
Elric, Dorian, Corum et al actually all team up after that because of how bonkers the multiverse is, and they're all technically the same person, and they do eventually destroy Balance.
>>
>>52136039
>Literally not even close to being the last thing to happen to Elric because of the Runestaff.

Not the guy you're responding to. Explain? You don't mean the dumb ass "Elric comes to modern day england" crap do you?
>>
>>52136073
Not exactly stronger. And only a variant human which is optional race anyway.
>>
>>52136067
>'Willing to sacrifice their own righteousness'
Sounds a lot like
'Willing to use underhanded and unlawful means to get rid of the target of their hate' which sounds a lot like chaotic.

But I actually like the alignments, even if they don't hold any information a character's personality probably won't tell you.
>>
>>52136039
Yeah, I do, but Chaos is kind of an immutable force in his universe, and even when he defeats the armies of chaos there will always be those who follow it, he just succeeds in changing the cycle ultimately.
>>52136077
Yeah, I know but that's still a change in the cycle and not a permanent end to the battle, in my view anyway.
>>52136049
Oooh, I meant in ability, because thats what you have been calling Drizzt out with examples of his abilities and feats of strength, all fully fucking doable to the laws and rules of his universe. Comparing abilities alone Elric is far more of a sue..
>>
>>52136080
Shit gets crazy later on and the demon that Stormbringer turns into ends up being Shaitan and Erekose like turns into a giant and fights him and shit and Elric gets redeemed. I'll try to find it - I have a pile of Moorcock here because the Eternal Champion sequence is like 60 fucking books.
>>
>>52136073

>How well can it work

Well, you're down another -1 to hit, AC and damage on a char that is already a bit anemic.
This isn't going to ruin your character or whatever, but just be advised you're stapling two weak things together, so you are likely to have less fun than your peers.

>P.S.: Wait, humans in 5E are even stronger than in 3.x/PF? Good grief,wizards.

3e humans: A great race for all occasions.

5e vhumans: The best race at all specialties, with only a few exceptions (winged tieflings, tanking oriented yuan ti paladins)

>what other options

Well, hill dwarves are optimal druids, of all things. A moon druid (think of turning into a bear, and later, an earth elemental), or underdark/mountain land druid, would be perfect, mechanically and flavor wise.
>>
>>52136109
Cool. Where/what do I look into as far as the next thing for Elric after Doomed Lord's Passing?
>>
>>52136108

I don't consider either to be Sues, but the way I see it, Drizz't is a perfectly ordinary 1e drow ranger for his level while Elric is far more powerful than likely any legitimate PC is *ever* going to be. Just about all the S&S signature characters are vastly superior to PCs.
>>
>>52131657
I think they should use the mystic's discipline format to remodel the way of the four elements.

Actually, stance based monk subclass based on mystic disciplines may show up in the "backdoor class fix" fashion.
>>
>>52136114

Okay, I was thinking about ranger, but a druid is an option as well. My other idea for a monk was a shield dwarf (it's in the Sword Coast); the armor proficiencies are useless, but I guess the strength is handy?

By the way, if I stick to monk, am I right in assuming that the elemental path is not great and the Open Hand works better for a "striker"?
>>
>>52136171
>but I guess the strength is handy?

One of the greatest features of the monk is that they use dex.

>the Open Hand works better for a "striker"?

Open Hand is very, very powerful, comparing favorably both to other monk paths as well as to Battlemaster. While it probably won't be relevant, its worth mentioning that, iirc, Quivering Palm has a 45% chance to kill Tiamat per hit and a 40% chance to kill Zuggtmoy per hit.
>>
File: otyugh.jpg (87KB, 388x514px) Image search: [Google]
otyugh.jpg
87KB, 388x514px
>>52136019
Many NEO OTYUGHS (ie monsters that eat poop and garbage 24/7) are better in melee than a type vi. Considering a balor is probably going to die in the surprise round (and surprise rounds are both easy to come by for PCs and hellishly lethal), I'd put my money on the neo otyugh against most PCs, though its close.
>>
>>52136139
I don't consider either to be Sues as well, I was just pointing out his hypocrisy citing things Drizzt's done and how his abilities make him a sue even though they're comparatively ordinary as compared to Elrics abilities which blow any kind of D&D character out of the water, and into void between the planes.
>>
>>52132317
>pulls punches and gives a shit about how fair exactly it is.
Banshees, intellect devourers, demiliches...

>how competent are the DMG monster building guidelines
It's an art, not a science. Plus you're playing with dice.
>>
Is there an open resources for everything released for 5e? I'm specifically looking for barbarian archetypes.
>>
>>52133143
realms is shit, bring back god damn greyhawk for crying out loud, it's a better "default" setting than realms

best setting is dark sun
>>
File: chasme1.jpg (82KB, 500x633px) Image search: [Google]
chasme1.jpg
82KB, 500x633px
>>52132317
Compare the 1e and 5e versions of the chasme, balor, and anything that gets legendary actions.

The chasme in particular is notable, as it went from a monster that makes you doze off, then wakes you up with a 1d4 blood drain attack (specifically mentioning that it only deals 1-4 damage), to something that wakes you up with a 22d6+4 attack, and something like 18d6 of that is off your max HP.
>>
>>52136330

I don't get what's neat about Greyhawk and I think its a mistake that the default setting was treated as Greyhawk in general rather than its titular megadungeon (or the ToEE for that matter).
>>
>>52136324
5etools in the OP
>>
>>52131413
Honestly, I prefer gishes as martials first, and I've been pining for a more martial, less casty bard from the get go (or maybe a "spend slots for inspiration" mechanic like paladin)
>>
Is resistance to nonmagical weapons a broken effect to give a player through a magic item?
>>
Not really in this time frame of DnD, but were the Bhaal Spawn Plane touched beings?
>>
>>52136575
The Bhaalspawn were the progeny of Bhaal, Faerunian god of murder. They were the sons and daughters of a god's avatar.
>>
>>52132931
PHB hunter is very specialized. It does not feel fine and leans on spells like Conjure Animals for relevance. PHB BM is stronger in some ways, just very clunky.
>>
>>52136590
And how is that different from being Plane Touched, aka a progeny of an extra planar being?
>>
>>52136736
Were you reading? They're godspawn.
>>
>>52136736
They were Demigods, they are not Plane-Touched, they are half-divine even if that divinity is somewhat unholy itself.
>>
>>52136736
How the fuck do you think they're different to the planestouched if they're the children of an actual deity, you fucking retard.
>>
>>52136842
>>52136784
>>52136778
So if you wanted to play such a character what sort of bonus would that confer?
>>
>>52136842
They are different, Children of Gods are half- Divine, They usually stay mortal, but they're ability and potential far exceed normal mortals of any race.
>>52136878
You wouldn't usually, you'd give them an epic boon, or some special destiny that would grant them powers beyond the bounds of their mortality.
>>
>>52136878
Talk to the DM if it's possible, you fucking retard.
>>
>>52136556
Anyone? planning on a 'set charisma to 20, alignment becomes lawful good, resistance to nonmagical weapons' cloak to be given by an aspect of a goddess
>>
Gonna be playing a Firbolg Rogue(Thief) soon.

We havent done a character building session yet, so I havent decided on stats or anything like that.
I think we're starting at level 2.

The idea for the character was basically a guy who lives in a forest whose home what the Hobbit hole isnt, when described in the book
> a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell
He's gonna carry around a bag of dirt filled with bugs and collect bugs as he adventures.
He'll use Fast Hands(When he reaches level 3) to reach into the bag and put bugs down the shirt of enemies.

I described him to my DM as a "Dirt Clad Troublemaker"

Any recommendations?
>>
>>52137030
Jeez, that is some powerful shit. Consider the always-on resistance thing is an ability that War Clerics get at 17th level.
>>
>>52137030
>>52136556
What level?
>>
>>52133501
Not that I know of, but you really shouldn't need it, making a PC in 5e is nowhere near as much work as making a character in Shadowrun.
>>
>>52136556
Yes. Monster rarely has magical weapon / attack.
>>
>>52137273
Seem like you have to go with STR based Rogue.
>>
When will we get more character options UAs?

What's the most fun bard college to play?
>>
>>52137273
>A guy who, when enemies threaten to rip their head off and generally has their life put in danger, resorts to trying to put worms down backs when the enemies are probably much more preoccupied with murdering you

I mean, as long as it's not a serious campaign, sure.
>>
>>52137509
Mearl teasing something about Mystic being "close" yet again.

Lore Bard. Satire is alright too
>>
>>52137030
>>52136556
>Set alignment to lawful good
I think it'd be better to have 'the cloak is ineffective on non-lawful-good characters'
>Set charisma to 20
I dislike this sort of thing, because it devalues the people with high charisma. It should instead maybe be a +X to charisma, but not going above 20.
>Resistance to nonmagical weapons
Almost as powerful as barbarian's rage, but it has workarounds unlike barbarian's rage. As long as it's a sufficiently high level, then sure. Otherwise, no.

That said I'm the 'magical items should be interesting parts of the story, not just there to boost modifiers' guy who dislikes items without creative uses.
>>
What happens when you have Advantage on a roll from two different factors? Is it just cancelled down to a single advantage?

For context, I have a magic cloak that grants advantage on stealth checks; I'm also close to level 9 as a Rogue, where I'll gain Supreme Sneak.
>>
>>52137602
It's just one advantage roll. The Cloak of Elvenkind (which is what I assume you have) is still good to wear, though, even if you have advantage from elsewhere.
>>
File: Archer1.png (4MB, 1300x3200px) Image search: [Google]
Archer1.png
4MB, 1300x3200px
How would you go about trying to emulate this character's style? Arcane Archer?
>>
>>52137942
We don't play weeb faggots here in /5eg/ go to >>/pfg/ it's that way.
>>
>>52134516
No, wyrms can be assumed though. How else will the avatar be able to pave the way for the actual god to come through and begin the rule of dragons.
>>
>>52135951
good vs evil is entirely dependent on you and your interpretation of your oath, only the lawful part matters. I see conquest as Judge Dredd so I see them as LN as default.
>>
>>52137942
Arcane archer sucks.

If you tell what you're going for, I could tell you, but I can at least tell you:

Best Range Utility/Burst: Fighter Sorlock
Best Range AoE: Hunter Ranger
Best Range Consistent: CBE + SS Champion Fighter
Best Range Stealth/Burst: CBE Assassin Rogue

I feel like I'm forgetting something, though.
>>
>>52138495
Oh, right, SorFeylock (Blade pact, bow UA) for most pure burst.
>>
>>52138468
>in a subjective morality setting
>>
>>52138495
what does cbe mean?
>>
>>52138570
Crossbow expert.

Gets you a bonus attack with the hand crossbow.
>>
>>52138545
>Objective morality does not mean what you think it means and does not apply in 5e
Are you stupid or new?
>>
>>52138607
5E is a system, not a setting. Whether morality is objective or subjective depends on the system. Anon was making a blanket statement about what Good and Evil are based on Paladins no longer caring about either, but that doesn't make it true. And even in a subjective setting, "how you feel" about an action or your oath doesn't let you twist anything into being good / evil / in-line with your oath or not.

>i'm an oath of the ancients paladin and I'm gonna brutally murder this innocent shopkeep so I can give away all his wares to the people and they'll be ever so happy and joyous
>>
>>52138630
I know it's not a setting, but we are in /5eg/, and the books say nothing about objective morality being a requirement or even the standard. I saw his point, friend, I was just nitpicking to nitpick, thank though.
>>
File: drizztstats.png (207KB, 537x425px) Image search: [Google]
drizztstats.png
207KB, 537x425px
>14 AB
what
>>
oh, also
https://www.dndbeyond.com/
>megaanon beat them to the punch for free
>>
>>52138774
+5 Dex, +6 proficiency, +3 magical bonus
>>
I'm starting tomorrow an Eberron campaign and I need a cool name for my Conan style Human Barbarian
>>
>>52138895
But his proficiency says +5 right there.
>>
>>52137676
That's the one! My DM's allowed me to pay to have it woven into my clothing, because what Thief wears a cloak? They catch on things when you're sneaking!

I figured it would be, which is a shame. Surely if there are multiple factors contributing to just how stealthy you are at that moment, you should have a greater and greater chance to remain hidden?
>>
>>52138937
You start getting +6 proficiency at 17, whereas he's 19. So whatever that is, it's displaying it wrong.
>>
>>52138630
Both alignment and oaths are subjective, I'd say.

Your interpretation of the oath is pretty much what it is.
If your oath is to 'make everyone happy', what is 'happy'? It's subjective, so it's whatever you decide it is.

However, then again, if an oath isn't a personal thing but something decided by some ancient authority, then it's probably objective. It doesn't matter if you think killing everyone makes everybody happier, whoever created that particular oath does not see that in their vision of happiness.
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.