[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much common sense should be allowed before it becomes metagaming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3651.jpg (123KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3651.jpg
123KB, 1600x1067px
How much common sense should be allowed before it becomes metagaming?
>>
>>52126740
>not so common
Four units
>>
>>52126740
Fuck off. You're not looking for a discussion, you're looking to start a fight.
>>
When you ask this question, you are probably metagaming. People who do not meta err on the side of caution regardless of if what they have in mind is metagaming. By definition you are metagaming because you want to know who far you can go before you are accused.
>>
Common sense and meta gaming are completely different concepts. Not to mention common sense depends on the setting. In a world where monsters are everywhere, then yes, it's common sense to imagine theres a troll, or an ogre hiding out in some riverside cave. Knowing that an ancient lich with a bounty of arcane books is actually sleeping behind a giant stone wall is not common sense.

Also time frame works into it to. Common sense in modern times is miles of different from medieval common sense.
>>
If any player uses any knowledge that I didn't specifically tell them I start screaming at the top of my lungs and start having an autistic chimp out. No fucking metagaming.
>>
>>52129262
>Knowing that an ancient lich with a bounty of arcane books is actually sleeping behind a giant stone wall is not common sense.
On the other hand, knowing "Hey, this is an ancient burial mound of some long-dead civilization. We should *probably* not go in there without being prepared for horrible curses and/or undead" is probably not metagaming. And then it turns out the place has a secret entrance to the Underdark and it's actually a secret staging ground for drow raids on the surface.
>>
>>52129416
I prefer Conan's version of common sense. It's superstition mixed with a sharp mind, plus a sort of ancient instinct.

The instinct bit works well because usually the ancient horrors are, well, ancient. So humans who avoided them in the past were more likely to survive, leaving a bit of that primal fear in the gene pool as a reminder of past danger.
>>
>>52127244
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfFZqTlWrQ
>>
>>52130307
>you need genetic memory in order to be afraid of scary things
>>
>>52129293
I usually also flip the table, sending Cheetos and minis everywhere so my players fully understand how unreasonable they are being.
>>
>>52126740

How much WISdom do they have?
>>
File: download.jpg (17KB, 195x258px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
17KB, 195x258px
Thinking... Common sense.... this is DEFIANTLY HERESY
>>
>>52129262
This. In a medieval setting the average person knows maybe one thing and it's what dad did.
Don't let your players try to apply their modern thinking into a setting like this, modern people know a lot of things as common sense now that were unheard of back then.
>>
Considering common sense, as most people think of it, is Logic, and not what is passed down from father to son and so on, half the people in this thread are morons.
>>
>>52133461
I know you mean to mock genetic memory as in "Ooo sixth sense", but you do know that humans are predisposed towards or againdt certain things because of genetics right? I mean that's why we prefer things that look similar to babies (ie koalas and bear cubs) even if they're dangerous and part of how certain phobias (snakes and such) are widespread, even though nowadays they're not a concern for most people.

Genetics are literally what make you human.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.