[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DM quirks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

I've been thinking about terms like Monty Haul and Killer DM. There must be more DM personalities that can cause problems in a game than these, they're just the furthest extremes.

For example my DM is more like the inverse of a Monty Haul DM.

Like he's more like Scrooge McDuck: he'll take you on an awesome globetrotting adventure but any gold or fantastic relics will remain firmly locked up in the DM's high security arsenal, firmly out of the players' grasp and only trotted out to be a part of the outfits of impressive npcs. He can also be stingy with experience, like only awarding us experience for monsters we kill and often having enemies flee encounters when it's clear the PCs will triumph.

I don't really think he's doing it on purpose but I'm not really sure how to bring it up without it sounding like I'm whining about not being showered with magic items at the end of every session.

Player frustration thread I guess.
>>
As a GM, I understand being afraid of rewarding the players too much, to some degree. Hard campaigns are more immersive than Monty Haul campaigns for obvious reasons: your buddy is just sloppily trying to keep things under control. Every experienced GM knows that players are likely to be greedy, and find every possible angle to increase their power. He's giving you the other side of the coin.

Nothing wrong with making monsters flee, they're not always statblocks on steroids: if you take too much heat, you bail, and the rule applies to everyone - even NPCs.
>>
>>52114507
Being a little stingy sometimes is good overall, but everyone should get that one little something special and unique that is only theirs, because it can help make a character more interesting. I tend to give something like this out pretty early, then be pretty stingy, and then more once they feel like they really earned it.

Plus if the players do something really creative or crafty or cool to acquire some wealth or special items, I'm not gonna be a dick and say no.
>>
>>52116140
>Nothing wrong with making monsters flee, they're not always statblocks on steroids: if you take too much heat, you bail, and the rule applies to everyone - even NPCs.

Agreed but the party should still get XP for overcoming the enemy. Bad guys dont just keep XP coins in their pockets that can only be taken when theyre dead
>>
>>52116356
This is the major thing imo. Experience is EXPERIENCE and if it's being used to represent experience in battle you should gain experience for the battle even if the enemy flees.

>>52116289
this is a pretty good idea, I'd say. It gives the characters time to use and grow into their 'special' thing and then they get a reward for working hard later on.
>>
>>52114507
I'm in a Star Wars campaign right now where the DM absolutely refuses to give us any money or anything we can sell. We've been playing for probably 15 sessions by now and we're still fucking broke. I've been waiting to buy a cybernetic arm and I still haven't been able to scrape together 10,000 credits.

We gather up all the weapons from people we kill but any time we try to sell them it's always "they don't want stolen merchandise", "it's used so they will only give you 5% of their value", "this guy doesn't buy weapons".

The time we tried to sell off 50 deactivated battle droids with each one having a blaster rifle and a stun rod and he told us the guy would pay us 400 credits, split 6 ways... man, fuck.
>>
>>52117944
Is there a reason for this? What kind of characters are you playing? I'd say try to go to the outer rim or some black markets.
>>
>>52117944
>sell off 50 deactivated battle droids
Why not keep them instead? All you need to control them are the restrainer bolts and proper commands to use them yourself, and they probably still have their bolts since it's a whole big thing to get rid of.

I'm a little stingy with my players and strict with expenses, but I don't think I would ever let you sell something for less than a quarter of book price unless the merchant hates you for some reason.

Also, just talk to the rest of the party, and all together talk to the GM, outside of game. Explain that being broke in game is about as fun as it is in real life.
>>
>>52118008
Sith party under a master. We have a ship and we spent a lot of time on hutt controlled planets. It's set in the old republic. We literally went to a massive black market, found a weapons trader, and he wouldn't budge from paying us .05% of the total value of our merchandise. Can't persuade or intimidate, as soon as we tried the DM said autoturrets pop out of the walls.

In a fucking tent in a desert bazaar.

DM just refuses to give us money.
>>
>>52118029
We are a party of sith/mercenaries with a small ship and we didn't have anything left to do on that planet. We have a couple of strain fighters who shut down all those droids and my character trapped a bunch of others using good stealth rolls, but we didn't have a good way to take them with us.
>>
>>52114507
Steal everything that isn't nailed down. Then, get a hammer, steal whatever's nailed down. And for good measure, the nail.

Take points in whatever "Find those motherfuckers" skills so when an enemy flees, use those skills to find those motherfuckers. Then chase them, then kill them. If the remainder escape, repeat until they're all dead or the DM gets the picture.
>>
>>52118041
In that case I would talk to the other players see if they have a problem with it. If they do you should talk to your GM about it. He may have a different idea about the game then you guys do.
>>
>>52118114
It's probably too late for that, a number of players have expressed a desire to start up a new DND 5e campaign instead of continuing the Star Wars.
>>
>>52118041
I'd tell you to get your hands on a few dozen Thermal Detonators, but you probably couldn't afford them.

But seriously, You're Sith. Somebody wants to give you shit, waste him.
>>
>>52118142
We fought a group of wannabe Mandalorians taking part in the great hunt on a planet once, they had a whole crate of Thermal detonators and tossed them out like fucking candy. After killing them we found out all the crates were empty. They had used the very last one the round we killed them.

Conveniently when we killed the last guy he dropped his last detonator and blew up all their speeders and weapons.
>>
>>52118132
Well if its the same GM consider bringing the issue up during session 0 or before you start playing.
>>
>>52118183
Different player offered to DM this time.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.