[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just how "real" do you try to make your settings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 29

File: 1488989784-20170308[1].png (368KB, 684x1221px) Image search: [Google]
1488989784-20170308[1].png
368KB, 684x1221px
Just how "real" do you try to make your settings?
>>
As much as is appropriate. If a setting is contemporary or intentionally grounded, realism is something you should aim for. If a setting is fantastical, over the top or abstract in some way, then realism is an albatross you're better not concerning yourself with.
>>
>>52106439
What about an elves&dragons setting that still tries to be grounded and authentic, does it make sense deciding how magic interacts with the laws of physics and how the dragon has to eat certain trees to build up gas, and chew some certain precious metal ores to get spark to ignite it to breathe fire, or warming the gas to aid its huge body flying, or that dancing in the sky throwing fire is a mating ritual, and so on?

Are players more likely to enjoy it, or hate it?
The obvious flaw is that someone smarter than you spots an inconsistency, and by trying to be real you are making that inconsistency from an expected thing to an exception that needs fixing.
>>
>>52106484

It entirely depends on the group, the game and what they care about.

Are those details interesting, useful bits of texture which add to the setting and are valuable to those interacting with it? If so, they're good.

If not? They're essentially pointlessly over complicating things.
>>
>>52106413
Not particularly. I try and make it internally consistent, but I'm not concerned with realism.
>>
>>52106413
I don't. "muh realism" is the cancer killing fantasy.
>>
>>52106597
>>52106602

Pretty much this. As long as a setting is internally conaistant it will feel "real" enough. Normally, just just start with basic and universal ground rules (Magic works this way, I'm using this technology) and just follow to logical conclusions.
>>
>>52106413
>unicorns are racist
>dragons are stupid
>faeries/pixies are insectoid
>dwarves are
>elves are
what else?
>>
>>52106736
Dwarves are short and bitter.
Elves are tall and supreme.
>>
>>52106413
My Players usually get up to antics that would put most gainax studios anime to shame with how ridiculous they can be, and I love them for that cause i'm a fan of over-the-top shenanigans.

So my settings are about as real as male enhancement pills actually working
>>
Real enough to make the players feel at home, but completely unreal otherwise. For me, roleplaying is all about exploring crazy ideas and original concepts.
>>
File: 1488865370901-tg.jpg (543KB, 1299x1575px) Image search: [Google]
1488865370901-tg.jpg
543KB, 1299x1575px
>>52106771
No, Dwarf is better.
>>
>>52106413
But dragons are no animals.
>>
>>52107037
What are the Chaktas and why do they need fixing?
>>
>>52107097
Here, and behold a relic of a bygone era, back when we could get along by hating something else beside ourselves:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Chakat
>>
>>52106413
>>52106597
>>52106602
No one should wonder about what kind of taxes High King Peter is implimenting on his animal subjects. In truely fantastic settings I believe that the best way is to try to create hero stories, with arcs aping fairy tales or legends. The stories of Koshchei the Deathless, or the Odyssey are excellent starting points.

For more low fantasy grounded works you can focus all you like on politics, trade, taxes, imperialism, the horrors of war and clashes of culture. But for those works its harder to integrate large magical beasts and powerful magic.
>>
>>52106484
The big problem with this is that you're not an expert in every field know to man. You WILL make mistakes, and BIG ones that you don't even notice.
It's a useless pursuit. You can make it as realist as you want, but you shouldn't make it realist for the sake of realism.
>>
>>52106413
>Goddamn housing prices in rainbow valley are high
>>
>>52107141
They're just Sphinxes with ridiculous lore.
>>
I'm hammering out some alt-history WW2, so I'm trying to work in enough realism to make it feel like that era, but I feel like there also has to be some wiggle room for the more fantastical elements.
I am not looking forward to converting the Aegir Fleet to World War 2 era ships.
>>
>>52107240
Actually, a Morganite campaign for free market in Narnia sounds pretty hilarious.
>>
>>52106413
i tend to be realistic as long as it doesnt fuck with rules or fun
>>
>>52106736
>dwarves are
All suffering from black lung
>elves are
Retarded or unimaginably better than humans. They live for hundreds of years, either a 200 year old elf is about as competent as a 20 year old human in which case they learn extremely slowly or a 200 year old elf has 30 years of special forces combat experience and three doctorates.
>>
>>52107240
they work adequately enough in more grounded fantasy if they're toned down a bit in overall magic because there's less competition and kept sufficiently rare and mythological

That or they work fantastic as victims of the "march of progress", think the PotC scene with the dead kraken.
>>
>>52106484
Magic is simply another law of physics, just a highly unpredictable and misunderstood one
>>
File: MonFaePG84.jpg (84KB, 400x496px) Image search: [Google]
MonFaePG84.jpg
84KB, 400x496px
>>52107141
Want to know something funny about chakats? They're a lovecraftian mangling of something that existed in D&D for over a decade before they were spawned from the abominable mind who thought them up. In fact they may even have been inspired from them.

I present to you the Wemic. It's a cat taur people from Faerun. Created in 1982 for a supplement to AD&D, they were fully added to D&D in 1983 with the Monster Manual II. To fix chakats all you need to do is ignore them and go back to playing D&D. Pic related is from Monsters of Faerun for 3e.
>>
>>52106736
Dwarves are blind as a subterranean race that doesn't have light to see with, have good hearing and tremor sense, and do not do forging as caves don't have much flammable substances without being very hazardous to live in.

Elves are long armed with dense muscles for moving among trees and never developed agriculture as a purely hunter-gatherer society that depends on the local ecosystem to survive.
>>
>>52107414
something I tried with elves is to give them absolutely no concept of education
this slows down their progress significantly as they can't build on past achievements but still allows them to compete given they live a long ass time so an elf actually has the time to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>52107423

While this is a way of doing magic, it's far from the only way. More metaphorical and abstract magic which isn't 'logical' in the way we think of things can be fascinating in its own right.
>>
>>52106413
Not very. The moon (well, one of them) is an all-powerful lich's phylactery that was hung in the sky in far eld times by magical proto-gods. Reality is no fun.
>>
File: MULTI-TRACK DRIFTING.png (328KB, 1353x976px) Image search: [Google]
MULTI-TRACK DRIFTING.png
328KB, 1353x976px
>>52107037
>>
>>52107516
it says no multi-track drifting right in the image you goon
>>
>>52107516
There is explicitly no Multitrack Drifting. Your choices are Bad and Worse. He even disallows you to kill yourself.
>>
>>52107458
Honestly I feel like elves should be the generalists with their chaotic nature and long lives.
>Elves live for hundreds of years
>Tend to get bored of the same job after a few decades
>An old elf might be the apprentice to a blacksmith half his age and 120 years later teach his former master medicine
So elves might have skills in tons of categories but they are averse to mastering anything fully and what they do master they tend to forget the finer points as they move onto other jobs. Sure your party wizard may have been a master blacksmith 240 years ago but he has forgot the finer points, he can still fix a blade just fine but he can't make a masterful sword from scratch.

After all can you imagine doing your current job for the next 750 years?
>>
>>52107548
What did I do to find myself stuck in this hypothetical greentext moral quandary, anyway? If you're gonna slap more rules on me I want some context.
>>
>>52107037
Save the dwarf because fuck questfags, when it comes to dating go elf and and treat her like crap until she breaks up with me, it worked for plenty of other girlfriends when I got tired of them.
>>
>>52107551
could be interesting if Elves had virtually endless lifespan, but only sufficient memory to remember a good 150 to 200 years of it
they constantly need to make a choice what is worth remembering
>>
>>52107562
Guy who made the original post here.

The idea was to bisect all the skubjects of /tg/ and personify them through two of the worst waifus ever created, then balance it by making them have some of the worst personality traits and habits imaginable.

Basically Towergirls, except one you hatefuck, the other you just hate, and have the pleasure of seeing them dead.
>>
>>52107594
Well it is theorized that humans perceive time as going faster as they age because they compare all time they are experiencing to their previous experiences. To explain it more simply when you are 6 years old a month is 1.4% of your entire life up to that point, a pretty big chunk, when you are 40 a month is just 0.21% of your life up to that point. Maybe in order to perceive time properly immortal and pseudo immortal beings have to regularly "prune" memories from time to time, perhaps entirely unconsciously just forgetting something just like how you might forget your third grade thanksgivings play.

So the elf may be 600 years old but he only has 100ish years of memories. Sure he never forgets basic math or how to talk but after 400 years he may completely forget the name of that human woman he fell in love with and married at some point. The only reason an elf remembers his family is because he interacts with them regularly and is thus reminded of them, the elf who befriended the great human hero long ago completely forgot about him and only has vague memories of their adventures "I remember we fought something big and lizardlike probably a dragon, and the bad guy had a name that sounded angry lots of Ks and Xs in his name."

Overall I like the idea of making elves and other races more alien in terms of psychology, allows the chance to make other races seem like different races as opposed to agile humans with pointy ears who don't age or short hairy people who live pretty long.
>>
>>52107739
also an interesting conundrum that comes from this: their personality could undergo utterly drastic shifts throughout their lives to the point the person they were 5 centuries ago can hardly be called the same as they are now

so what do you do with someone who committed a great crime they can no longer remember commit nor the experiences that drove them to be capable of committing it
and perhaps elves would have somewhere along the line invented a magical way to store memories of great importance for later review, but if they've forgotten all context about those memories, how do they view them?
>>
>>52107594
>could be interesting if Elves had virtually endless lifespan, but only sufficient memory to remember a good 150 to 200 years of it

The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect-Emperor books have this.
Elves have two interesting things about them, from what I remember:
>they can't read 2D
Their art is all 3D, and they can't properly write down and read.
>they get mad as they get older, because memories blur together
Their elders find someone they trust to spill knowledge into, so they can remind them. When this human memory bank dies, they need another.

Now I read this a long time ago, so maybe I am remembering it badly, but it was something like that.
>>
File: 1 lMhw0yCGcDRPzAwotumpuQ.jpg (715KB, 2250x1394px) Image search: [Google]
1 lMhw0yCGcDRPzAwotumpuQ.jpg
715KB, 2250x1394px
>>52106413
Not at all. I try to make them believable.

Read enough about reality and you'll see plenty of unbelievable stuff, like pic related, ming troops using triple-barreled arquebuses as shields and the utter dumbness of the first battle in WW1. I've reads decrying how "unrealistic" it was in how the germans walked in close formation towards the machineguns. 19th century Tactics against 20th century technology.

However, the same reading gives you plenty of support material for your fantasy. It's incredible how chinese city wall architecture has the techniques and proportions one would think appropriate for dwarfs. If you take away the curved roofs, many people won't notice the difference.
>>
>>52106413
I don't, really. It's high fantasy, bordering on epic fantasy, trying to have realism and reconcile it with the more ridiculous aspects of the setting has been attempted, and every time I tried to do it, it just felt jarring as fuck.

Internal consistency, yes. Realism? Naw. I don't feel like the latter is that important compared to the former anyway.
>>
Consistency is miles more important than realism. It really doesn't matter what crazy shit you put in your setting so long as it's internally consistent. And I suppose as long as the writing is good. As someone once put it, people will suspend their disbelief for the impossible, but not for the improbable.
>>
>>52107594
>>52107739
I honestly already did that, inspired by a movie about an immortal man.
>>
>>52107954
Reading the dragon example >>52106484 is this "realism" or "internal consistency"?
Because things can be reduced to "this amount of mass can fly based on that wingspan, thus I should be able to make a flying armored car with a few parachutes and extra engines". If you say no, you aren't internally consistent, unless the dragon has those extra mechanics.

That is, anything "unrealistic", so not properly explained, the players can turn into "not internally consistent" by rationalizing and emulating it.
>>
>>52108000
its not an uncommon theme in stories about immortality
however that shouldn't stop anyone from using it, like another anon said it gives otherwise relatively humanlike immortal creatures a more unique feature
its vastly more interesting than immortal supermen elves anyways
>>
>>52107902
>also an interesting conundrum that comes from this: their personality could undergo utterly drastic shifts throughout their lives to the point the person they were 5 centuries ago can hardly be called the same as they are now
Elves view their past and future selves as entirely separate entities from their present self and Elven law takes into account that belief focusing on immediate punishment for crimes (generally the death penalty, banishment, or fines) as opposed to prolonged punishment. By imprisoning or enslaving a man for his crimes you are imprisoning his future self who is innocent of wrongdoing. To elves imprisoning someone for crimes is like imprisoning a man who committed murder as well as his sons and grandsons.
>>
>>52107435
But if I'm playing dnd how can I get off on how much I hate furries?
>>
>>52108040
could be neat as this innately puts conflict in their relations with other, less long-lives, species
>>
>>52107902
>>
>>52108008
I suppose that's realism, or at the very least an attempt at explaining the inner workings of the setting.

You can't spot whether something is consistent or not with a single situation, you need several.

For example it would be inconsistent if you explained at some point that dragons need to eat trees to breathe fire, then dozens months later you make a desert dragon(with no trees for miles around it) spit fire, because you forgot that dragons in this setting worked differently than other ones.
That'd be internally inconsistent.

You can also for example, make it a rule that every red object in the universe has faster velocity than other colored ones, or that holding your breath lessens your gravity by 10x or other wacky rules that aren't realistic at all. Being internally consistent means keeping track of these rules and making the world and its citizens ALWAYS follow that framework, and live accordingly to it. Don't just dump the info on the player once when it's convenient , like make sure every archer has red arrows, every carriage is being painted red, most messengers are red-skinned, etc.
>>
>>52108196
>RED GOES FASTA
>everyone suffers from high blood pressure
>a bullet entering a body will accelerate instead of decelerate and kill as many people behind the guy
>red wave spectrum moves faster, frying people's brains
>>
>>52107465
i absolutely agree
>>
>>52108257
>red wave spectrum moves faster

It's already the fastest, that's the reason why people get the impression that red is faster, and it's the reason why the color red stands out first in the eyes(and is such used to draw attention to important stuff), since it's literally the first color to be perceived by the brain.

Blue is the slowest wave by the way. It's why the sky is blue, it's the last color to pass through the atmosphere. And probably why its effect is calming.
>>
>>52108307
Right, I mean that it moves the fastest, faster. Because this new world is the same as ours, except red is faster.
>>
>>52107037
Hit the dwarf with the train. They'll be fine and I get to have both.
Only an idiot would choose anything else.
>>
>>52108008
Eh

Magic is kind of a clause to prevent exactly that, though. The dragon is inherently magical and passively channels that magic into downward force to give itself vastly more lift than would otherwise be possible for it's frame.

But I feel like if you ever actually need to directly state that to your players, then at least one party has fucked up. Like, it's a given that the world operates by magic and not on the laws of physics as we know them, so internal consistency is a strange issue because explaining exactly what is and isn't possible would take the magic out of it. So you keep that shit in your head and leave the wonder in place.
>>
>>52108338
I'd hit one with the train and go beat the other to death with the lever.
>>
>>52107037
DUAL TRACK DRIFTING
>>
>>52107037
>date elf
>kill dwarf

elf>dwarf
>>
>>52108340
So would then going under a dragon cause you to be crushed by the pressure? The shadow of a dragon being the scariest part of it, felling trees and destroying homes? Mite be cool, but also easy to "hack".

And when I play I always ask how things work, so that I can craft those bag of holding/portable hole guns and such.
Whats the point of a world with high magic if all we do is throw fire at people and stab with swords? Engineers gotta engineer.
>>
>>52107465
>>52108284
I absolutely disagree.
In Lord of the Rings, by not telling us what Gandalf can do, and what he can't do, the author leaves us wondering "why didn't he do X". We must know where the limits are, and this is easiest done if we know how tings work.
Else...
>why didn't the king pay clerics to resurrect his son
>why didn't the blind guy go downtown to where the healer sells cure blindness scrolls
>why don't all soldiers get into this bag of holding, catapult it, and run out to take the castle
>why don't the peasants capture the troll that regenerates, and cut off limbs from him to have endless meat

And so on, and so on.
Thats why Wheel of Time has bad magic, and Mistborn has good magic.
>>
>>52106736
Dwarfs are blind and resemble anthropomorphic bats or moles. They use spears rather than axes, as they would be superior weapons in narrow corridors.
>>
>>52107037

Point by point

1. Elf, barely.(Amelia or Naga, fffff)
2. No points, Im more into Exalted ever since 2e.
3. Dwarf
4. Dwarf
5. What do they post, exactly? /pol/ is basically an ideological arena. No Points.
6. Elf. Don't care for GURPS, but glad she's willing to try new things.
7. Apathetic. No Points
8. See 7.
9. Elf.
10. Elf Domme. The world needs more of this.
11. This is like Sophie's Choice.
12. I wanna /ss/
13. Elf. Don't wanna chance a Dickbag Rogue.
14. Don't know, no points
15. Ditto.
16. Don't care, no points.
17. That's what i'm trying to do.
18. Dwarf.
19. Elf. I can tolerate TBBT in small doses, though I will refer to it by making a rasberry noise.
20. Elf.
21. Elf.
22/23 no points.
24. no points.
25. Potter was overrated.
26. Apathy.
27.apathy.

Elf 8, Dwarf 3.
>>
>>52108422
The tone of the work also has an influence on how well their magic systems function in context. The LOTR is a good example of a dissonance between tone and systems in play
>>
>>52106413
>Pixies are probably a species of an insect.
>"I'm 50% ovipositor!"
...You realize that only makes my dick harder, right?
>>
>>52108383
Okay, fine. The dragon is telekinetically moving it's own body.

>I can craft those bag of holding/portable hole guns and such.

You're the sort of person who I absolutely hate DMing for. This doesn't make you a bad person, just somebody with a vastly different playstyle that is completely irreconcilable with my extreme narrativist/character-focused approach. My players take it as a given that I won't shut down the occasional shenanigan as long as they don't overdo it, because they know that whacky exploitation of world mechanics that I didn't have time to autistically scrutinise in search of loopholes will just cheapen the narrative we've all worked hard in crafting.

So 'Magic' Handwaving is my get-out-of-jail-free card, but I never actually have to use it because it's basically MAD, and the players understand that.

Incidentally, that sort of thing is also how you get Tippyverse, or products along those lines, and Tippyverse-thinking is cancer. Taking some things for granted is necessary.

>Whats the point of a world with high magic if all we do is throw fire at people and stab with swords?

Because high magic provides a much more efficient framing mechanism for mythical heroism. That's pretty much it, at least for me.
>>
File: 1478490851350.jpg (19KB, 280x400px) Image search: [Google]
1478490851350.jpg
19KB, 280x400px
>>52107579
>plenty of other girlfriends when I got tired of them.
You must be such an alpha, positing that on /tg/
>>
>>52108739
Nope, I'm too self conscious to break up with women so I just act like an ass hat until they do it. Also I tend to date unattractive women anyway, not alpha just petty and childish.
>>
File: Internal anatomy of a dragon.png (694KB, 651x477px) Image search: [Google]
Internal anatomy of a dragon.png
694KB, 651x477px
>>52108584
>Okay, fine. The dragon is telekinetically moving it's own body.
It's actually creating more lift and "UP" with the elemental air energy flowing through its blood which infuses the flesh of the body. All dragons have elemental energy flowing through their bodies thanks to the Draconis Fundamentum. This organ sits near the heart and infuses the blood with elemental energy leached from the various elemental planes via micro portals which suffuse the organ.

It's what fuels their breath weapons, magical abilities, metabolism and ability to eat just about anything, and other such things.
Organ number 7 in this picture.
Brought to you by the Draconomicon, the preeminent title on all things draconic.
>>
>>52108829
So we hunt a dragon to gain elemental portals and become rich. Okay.
>>
>>52108909
Unfortunately those microportal are rather delicate. They require a near constant supply of blood and electrical stimulation from nerves to remain open. Soon after death these micro portals close off, but the already extant elemental energy remains within the organ. Basically, if you can harvest it quickly enough and preserve the organ, it would allow you to open a portal to an elemental plane much easier, replacing certain expensive reagents.

In size these portals are on the order of a few millimeters at the largest, even in dragons of great wyrm size. On average they are usually a few micrometers in size.

One famed professor is said to have reopened these portals in an experiment that unfortunately resulted in his disappearance into some other realm, but all attempts at replicating the revivification of the organ have failed. We did gain a new understanding of elemental portal dynamics though.
>>
>>52106413
>>
>>52106413
Wow, zach has really declined. It's incredible how much of a dumbass he can be while still acting "smart".
>>
>>52108307
>it's already the fastest
>Blue is the slowest wave
THE SPEED OF LIGHT IS CONSTANT JESUS FUCK ON /tg/ OF ALL PLACES YOU SHOULD KNOW WHY FUCKING FASTER-THAN-LIGHT SHIT IS SCIENCE-FICTION LIKE GODDAMN
>>
>>52109977
Wavelength and frequency interval, ya git.
>>
>>52108558
http://move.loveisover.me/foolfuuka/boards/d/image/1368/75/1368750357780.png
>>
>>52109977

When you get this mad, you should check to make sure you're not stupid first.
>>
>>52110061
And when multiplied they result in the same speed. What exactly are you trying to say?
>>
>>52110082
hot
>>
File: cherenkov.jpg (563KB, 2791x3668px) Image search: [Google]
cherenkov.jpg
563KB, 2791x3668px
>>52109977
>>
>>52108307
On a less spergy note: this would actually be an awesome explanation in the red-is-faster fantasy world.
>>
tax plans
>>
>>52106413
Sur-"real". That's enough.
>>
>>52107067
If it's alive, it's an animal, or a plant. Dragons are not plants. They are alive.
>>
File: phylogenetic_tree.png (94KB, 800x541px) Image search: [Google]
phylogenetic_tree.png
94KB, 800x541px
>>52110812
not sure if trolling but I'll post a simplified diagram anyways
>>
>>52110959
On that list, you can easily determine that a dragon is an animal, because all the others are absurd.
>>
>>52108040
Wouldn't the death penalty also be the murder of their "son" and "grandsons"?
>>
>>52110959
Most of those other things I wouldn't classify as "alive". But I'll grant you, I forgot fungi.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (5KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
5KB, 480x360px
>>52109977
>THE SPEED OF LIGHT IS CONSTANT
The *maximum speed of light is constant
Light can slow down depending on the medium, it's the reason why we have things like pic related
I mean, this is physics 101, you should know about refraction

Anyway, we're talking frequency speed here, not distance speed
>>
>>52110999
fuck you my dragons are slime molds
>>
>>52106413
>D&D
>Dragon have sexual urges ALL THE TIME, and breed with everything they can polymorph into. Social skills arise from swaying other creatures.

>Pixies
>We have at least three different type of Pixie-Pixies I can think off the top of my head, excluding the fact they come the large sub group known as fae. A: Which type. B: Fae don't give shit about your biology since they develop and change due to literal common belief in nature.

>Unicorns
>Yep. Likely true. Why do you think they only give rides to Pretty White Rich Girls?

Man who ever did that scientific observation is shit at his job.
>>
>>52111176
The light doesn't actually slow down, it just doesn't move in a straight line in such a medium.
>>
>>52111307

>Implyng an immortal won't get really bored and start trying new things
>>
>>52111365
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light#In_a_medium
>In a medium, light usually does not propagate at a speed equal to c; further, different types of light wave will travel at different speeds
>>
File: vlad the implyer.jpg (134KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
vlad the implyer.jpg
134KB, 960x960px
>>52106413
I typically make everything as real as possible*, assuming that I can handle the workload of keeping track of stuff.

I also warn the players in advance what the expectations of the campaign are, what my GMing style is, and ask them what they'd like to see and what their preferences are and try to ensure everyone is on the same page. Whether they want to play a group of goody two shoes, evil cultists, gang of cutthroats, or robinhoods, I'm cool with that. As long as they understand they have to work together as a group.

So for the fantasy game I'm running now (which is in something similar to 9th-10th century northern Europe analogue) encumbrance, fatigue, tracking resources used like rations and water, wound healing, poisons, diseases, and so forth. This ensures that strength and constitution are valued even for mage types that don't feel like they need it, survival and cooking skills are valued and considered to acquire alternative sources of food and water, healing and protective magics are considered, and the idea you can't just carry everything you want with you at all times so there's some choice and consequences.

Religion is a BIG thing in the setting, so all the religions are very fleshed out including their holidays, festivals, sacrifices. Superstitions are rampant, magic is feared, and so forth.

Politics of the setting is also somewhat fleshed out. They're aware of a few nearby wars, rebellions, trade disputes, and a hereditary crisis in one of the kingdoms.

Languages and cultures are also pretty fleshed out, so it's important to understand how villagers in the middle of nowhere will react to foreigners who speak with accents and so on. Adventurers are frowned on (as possible military deserters) until they prove themselves or acquire some sort of reputation for doing something good for the people, otherwise they are assumed as extremely unconventional weirdos who value gold and themselves over home and family.
>>
>>52106413
>Just how "real" do you try to make your settings?

I try to model it after the standard set by the Witcher and Monster Hunt Series.

In the sense that magic or some other paranormal/outside source can certainly be the "why", but it can't be the "how".
>>
>>52107414
I just make it so elves aren't immune to senility.
>>
>>52107240

I'm not so sure I agree. Shadowrun's dragons are all about policy minutiae.
>>
>>52107037
Pull the lever since the dwarf is a dorf fort dwarf. He'll live as long as anyone patches him up.
>>
>>52107414
Imo elves just become super rigid in their thinking. 600 year old elves don't really do anything, they've gotten so used to wasting time that they just take baths and say "I'll write my next ballad eventually". Elf society is mostly dead when you get down to it, and they just rest on their laurels.
Young elves might rebel and go adventuring, but it's rare. The rest just age into obscurity.
>>
File: 1438036314023.jpg (23KB, 319x326px) Image search: [Google]
1438036314023.jpg
23KB, 319x326px
>>52108558
>>
>>52106413
- 4 STR
>>
>>52107037
Elf, with great hesitation.
>>
>>52111365

Snell's Law bro.

It doesn't just work with light. Just about anything with a velocity, moving from one medium to another, will diffract. It all comes down to the change in velocity.

One reasons diamonds cut into the same shape as anything else gets far more sparkly, is because of how much light slows down passing through it.
>>
>>52112851
>>52114557
I like a combination of these two.
Prone to getting increasingly stuck in their ways like some old people, maybe at a slower rate but occurring for a much longer time, and not immune to forgetting and imperfect memory, maybe more resistant to it than humans but you can only remember so much with perfect clarity and eventually the unimportant minutia and finer details blur.
>>
>>52117382

Addendum: double refraction through something like, say, most commonly, a calcite rhomb, is because light travels through the crystal structure in different directions at different speeds, and the speeds are different enough, that you get two images of the same thing.
>>
>>52106413
...wasn't there a time that SMBC was funny?
>>
>>52107948
>It's incredible how chinese city wall architecture has the techniques and proportions one would think appropriate for dwarfs. If you take away the curved roofs, many people won't notice the difference.

Great walls trace borders around seemingly empty kindoms and cities in dwarvish lands, the walls being the only above-ground structures they build.
>>
>>52117726
Why? What's the point of walls with nothing inside?
>>
>>52108422
>why didn't the blind guy go downtown to where the healer sells cure blindness scrolls
>scroll for the blind guy
Yeeesh, don't you think a potion might be better?
>>
File: 1275779950383.jpg (442KB, 435x800px) Image search: [Google]
1275779950383.jpg
442KB, 435x800px
>>52107037
>The Dwarf is a hot shortstack, the Elf is pure cheesecake.
ELF. Elf all the way. This other stuff doesn't hold a candle to...

>The Elf posts on /pol/... and means it.
ooohhhhh... damn.... Never stick your dick in crazy.

>The Elf is into pegging and urethral sounding.
Yep. Kids, this is why you never stick your dick in crazy. It'll fuck you.

>The Dwarf hates Rick and Morty
OH COME ON!!!

>The Elf always smells of cigarettes. The Dwarf is frequently stoned.
siiiiigh. I guess it was never going to be perfect.
...I'd have to go dwarf. As much as I like me some Elf cheesecake, I think I'm over that and not willing to suffer the consequences.
>>
>>52106771
Werewolves are highly social and monogamous.

You know, cause they're wolves.
>>
>>52108382
>>52108488
>>52115004
A 2 inch rod up your pee-hole while she rams a foot-long dildo in and out of your ass.

Probably while wearing a trump wig and a nazi uniform.

Really guys?
>>
File: wizards.jpg (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
wizards.jpg
1MB, 1440x900px
>>52107037
>>52107543
>>52107548
AINT NO RULE ABOUT NOT TAKING WHICHEVER SIDE IS THE LOOP AND THEN SWITICHING TO THE OTHER
>>
>>52118224
>seemingly empty
>seemingly
The walls surround dwarf kingdoms and cities.
There's stuff inside but it's underground.
>>
We're basically historical, with some deviations for magic. We're self stating too, so if you don't have what it takes, you can't play that class. Don't have a PhD in physics? Welp, you can't cast hugh offensive spells. Can't deadlift/squat/bench past 3/2/1? Well you're going to be a shit fighter.

In our actual setting, it's basically rearranged historical tribes/peoples, with some fantastic influence. Pretty much no elves or dwarves, and few other monster races that are intelligent. Divine magic and gods are present, but very very little divine magic.
>>
>>52118678
So shouldn't the walls and guards be underground too?
>>
>>52107037

Dwarf Girl all the way. I can easily watch Rick and Morty when she's not around.
>>
>>52118684
Varg, is that you?
>>
>>52106413
The Unicorn Valley actually looks good.
>>
File: 1487180494612.jpg (209KB, 802x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487180494612.jpg
209KB, 802x720px
>>52107037
People are allowed their own opinions and basing a life and death situation on someone and their personal preferences is shallow and stupid.

I would kill and date neither, i would untie both.

Because race mixing is a sin
>>
File: alex-jones-400x225.jpg (39KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
alex-jones-400x225.jpg
39KB, 400x225px
>>52107037
The idea of Dungeon Meshi elf being a /pol/ack is so funny that I'd have to go with her out of nostalgia.

My first girlfriend was like two years older than me, her dad worked on an oil rig and was 100% tinfoil conspiracy theorist redneck tier, and she had picked some of it up. She used to watch Alex Jones while I played vidya, and for some reason she got horny asf whenever he started going on psychotic tirades about gay frogs and flouride in the water. Once, she interrupted the 7th day of Pathologic to blow me because Jones was getting excited and shouting about how Obama was a literal demon or whatever. I remember I came while looking at Alex Jones slamming his fists on the table. It was the most surreal experience of my life.

She also refused to let me come inside unless I had only been drinking from the water filter because she was afraid my jizz would have flouride in it and it would rot her pineal gland. I'm not kidding. I have so many fucking water filters in my cupboard. We broke up because she moved to Uruguay to escape the OWG (also she hated blacks) and I didn't want to quit college.

I sometimes wonder how she's doing. She deleted her facebook because she was sure Zuckerberg was selling peoples' information. In retrospect she was totally right. I wonder how she feels about current events when I'm in the shower. I can still remember the way she'd start biting the fabric handle of her backpack whenever she got angry about politics or religion, and how she'd call me "Mel" in bed because she had a megacrush on Braveheart guy. I've seen The Patriot over 300 times.

Anyway if she were an elf she'd have been literally perfect. 5e is great too.
>>
>>52106413
I'm really sorry about the people who don't interact with reality enough and need games frot hat, but not at all.
Plausibility keeps storytelling cohesive, "realism" means as much as "feminism" nowadays, reeks just as badly, and is championed by the same kind of shut-in.
>>
>>52118937
kek

>she moved to Uruguay
This is a surprisingly not-white place to move to
>>
>>52118732
You gotta protect your kingdom from being tunneled into from above.
>>
File: 4352345143.jpg (44KB, 451x392px) Image search: [Google]
4352345143.jpg
44KB, 451x392px
>>52118937
How could you let that fish get away dude?
>>
>>52107037
>the dwarf is a hot shortstack, the elf is pure cheesecake
What if I prefer the reasonable size of boobs and ass? I mean, don't get me wrong, all sizes are good, but I prefer not to be drowning in flesh.
>>
>>52118591
Hey, don't knock urethral insertion until you've tried it (Correctly).
>>
>>52118937
I don't think if pasta or OC, but damn anon, go to U R gay and conquer her love again.
>>
>>52119661
First time I see it.
>>
>>52106413
Not very. Two of the worlds I've bothered to work on are both literally flat.
>>
>>52118591

Everything but the Trump wig sounds hot.
>>
>>52118937
>sometimes i wonder if she was right
she was a fucking idiot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwLWq5roN_k
>>
>>52122455
you don't want to be grabbed by the boypussy?
>>
>>52118732
Well sure they'd build walls and other barriers to seal off tunnels but other than that there isn't much to do when you're already surrounded by stone.

Also what >>52119050 says. Even if dwarfs almost exclusively build and live underground that doesn't mean they want other races squatting on their lands, building up fortifications above them and potentially digging or exploring down or disposing of waste in a way that affects the dwarves.

Honestly I'm more confused by you having so much trouble getting the idea.
>>
>>52106413
>muh progress is real
>muh monarchy is bad
>muh human rights
>muh middle ages were le bad
>>
File: image.png (144KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
144KB, 640x1136px
>>52118979
>uruguay
>not white
Pick one.
>>
File: url.jpg (39KB, 400x442px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
39KB, 400x442px
>>52106413
Its a small thing, but no villain actually believes themselves evil. Most of them commit abhorrent acts or political subterfuge to forward some noble goal or ideal. In a more recent case, the villains killed a handful of influential people to save thousands of innocents, but are hunted by the PCs nonetheless because they were friends with one of the victims. Funny part is that it parallels my players' actions, who also share the "ends justify the means" attitude, and only one of them sees the irony in it.
>>
>>52107414
That's stupid. Why would all elves get doctorates and combat skills? 200 years is a lot of time for learning but most elves would spend that time on useless shit just like modern western humans do with their long, long life.
>>
>>52123525
There's also the fact that people with doctorates need to constantly update their knowledge to allow for new discoveries to stay current and may not necessarily remember everything they've learned besides the important stuff and essential concepts.
>>
>>52123022
lol
Next you're gonna tell me you think spaniards and italians are white.
>>
>>52107037
Elf is perfect except for her fetishes.
>>
>>52117723
no
>>
File: Untitled.png (62KB, 1309x339px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
62KB, 1309x339px
>>52118937
This deserves to survive the death of the thread.
>>
>>52124300
>the sons of Rome
>not white
>>
File: flag3.png (83KB, 2000x1004px) Image search: [Google]
flag3.png
83KB, 2000x1004px
>>52107240
>No one should wonder about what kind of taxes High King Peter is implimenting on his animal subjects.
NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!
>>
>>52126632
What gave you the impression the Romans were white?
>>
>>52118937
>hates niggers
>moves to uruguay
>>
>>52127553
Best place to kill naggers. And if she gets tired, she can go live in Argentina with the white people.
>>
>>52127553
Niggers and spics are different things.
>>
File: 1488691908472.jpg (419KB, 787x868px) Image search: [Google]
1488691908472.jpg
419KB, 787x868px
>>52122588
>Citing "Literally cucked by Dick Masterson" Maddox in 2017
This is more cringe than unironically listening to Alex Jones.
>>
>>52122964

>he thinks the dark ages were good

Never mind that a knight was a walking horrorshow for anyone who couldn't pull rank.

Nevermind that people's quality of life was worse than africa today.

Nevermind all the other shit you "dark enlightment" clowns try and ignore.

The fact is that even on /pol/, a board home to, among other things, genuine "Gas the kikes race war now" national socialists, you are considered fringe retards.
>>
>>52118846
Fuck you and your reasonable suggestions. Pick a side and yell at someone for being wrong.
>>
File: 1423859562322.jpg (300KB, 755x1059px) Image search: [Google]
1423859562322.jpg
300KB, 755x1059px
>>52107948

I've cleared away an entire mountain range to make it into a massive wall/fortress, used by the dwarfish legions. They use the valleys as holding pens for their boars/training grounds.
>>
File: poolspar3.jpg (61KB, 570x483px) Image search: [Google]
poolspar3.jpg
61KB, 570x483px
>>52130198
>I've cleared away an entire mountain range
>cleared away
>an entire mountain range
How many billion tons of soil and rock are we talking about here? How they did that? Why?

Why not adapt the mountain range itself into a defense, like Switzerland does?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Redoubt_(Switzerland)
The Italian Front of WW1 shows that the mountain themselves are deadlier than any enemy. Just imagine something like Gibraltar, gun ports carved into the cliffs and angled tunnels that can be defended by five dwarfs for months.

Clearing it away looks unbelievable to me Snorri. Where did they dump all that ore?

Besides, why destroy all that geological beauty?

Or are we talking in mythological terms?
>>
>>52107037
>"posts on /pol/ and means it" as a counterpoint to progressive
>likes Steven Universe
pick one
>>
>>52131967
Maybe they're a diehard Stalinist yelling EAT THE RICH CLASS WAR NOW
>>
>>52132111
Actually, not the worst idea I've ever heard. If we feed the rich to the hungry I bet we could really get somewhere.
>>
>>52107037
a hot dwarven shortstack with a good personality (but some flaws) and likes some of what I like is going to beat a cute elf that has a lot of shit opinions and is a /pol/ack and wants to fuck your ass and shove things up your dick

but I might still wonder if I made the right decision, elves are cute
>>
>>52118591
The trump wig makes it hotter.
>>
>>52122964
>muh /pol/ tourist
>>
File: trumped.jpg (72KB, 1080x701px) Image search: [Google]
trumped.jpg
72KB, 1080x701px
>>52132795
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.