[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-generic race names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: crysalid (1).jpg (537KB, 1562x829px) Image search: [Google]
crysalid (1).jpg
537KB, 1562x829px
Hey /tg/, how would you go about giving fantasy races names that aren't just "Lizardfolk" or "giants" that actually sound good?
>>
>>52099847
>chryssalid

Its a bug and it turns people into cocoon.

Try again OP.
>>
>Please give me names that don't actually relate to the creatures I want
Sorry humans don't work that way. You can mash your face against they keyboard and put a few odd punctuation inside or do what everyone else does and steal the word you want to use from a foreign language.
>>
>>52099847
Most of the names you think of as cool and fantasy are actually just generic descriptions in a language you don't speak.
>>
>>52099847

Realistic race names always come down to two choices:

A) What they call themselves.
B) What other people call them.

Self-names are usually laudatory and congratulatory like "The People", "The Only People", "The Real People", "The Best People", etc.

Other names are usually ones that are insulting and/or stereotypical like "The Not People", "Assholes","Lizardfolk", etc.

If you want to name a race realistically, you need to come up with a name in it's own language along with a vaguely insulting one everyone else uses: hobbit vs. halfling.
>>
>>52099973
Most names in the language people speak actually mean shit in the language they speak, generally old form, fallen out of use, or in English is from a language it only mostly pillaged. It's just beyond baby book Nobody fucking bothers to learn this shit. It's funny to get some white guy mocking an Indian name for it describing something "stupid" when the fuckers name means pig farm.
>>
>>52099847
I used to be like you OP. Thinking names need to be special and unique cuase theyr'e magical or some shit.

Do yourself a favor look up your family name, your friends family name, and then your first names. If they didn't all end in bible or "we didn't bother to translate it, it was a character in this story" territory you'll be very disappointed with how mundane and generally stupid they are.
>>
>>52100061
I like to go back to the old style when naming NPCs. Most people will either just have a first name, or they will be John son of James, or use whatever their profession is. So John Pigfarmer is the son of James Cooper and no one thinks that is weird.
>>
>>52099847
Generally a go to way is to give them names that are vaguely similar to English words, or latin/greek/whatever-the-fuck roots.

But if you mean names that sound totally alien, well there's no way to really do that without it sounding a bit dumb.
Best you could hope to do would be to use a language (fictional or otherwise) as a basis for your shenanigans.
>>
>>52099847
Long discussions mixing translations on said race's not! earth language and and sounds good and fitting when said aloud.
>>
>>52099847
Call them Inhumans, Subhumans, Demihumans, or Beasts.

They sound good and all accurately describe non-human races in fantasy settings.
>>
>>52099847

I mean you could always make up a name. like...

Thraak'alidun, meaning "Those born to conquer"
Shuldreqiciara, meaning "Servants of the unseen sun"
Pwen-fil-kosta, meaning "Fire given flesh"

that's just off the top of my head.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.