[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Creepy Little Things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 39

I love horror elements in non-horror games. Things that unnerve or even scare the players without necessarily being unbeatable monsters or even particularly dangerous, just unsettling.

Some examples I've thought of or stolen from media:

> Someone's writing a message on the foggy window. You're on the second floor.

> Writing is spiraling outward from the center of the paper as if an unseen writer is furiously working away at it. The sentences are nonsensical, but your name appears among them.

> Everyone in town owns the same antique clock. Not just the same model either, it's the exact same clock, little scratches and even dust coating included.

> Your knock at the door is mirrored perfectly from the other side.

> Every single person in town says "Hello Felix" while moving to avoid a seemingly empty space as if someone was standing there.

This one probably requires a little context and probably relies more on delivery than anything.
> The PCs discover a book, it's some kind of play
> Upon reading it, the DM simply says "And that's where it ends"
> Through some clarification and confused questions from the players, establish that literally everything in the entire session leading up to this point, including picking up and reading from the book, was simply the PCs reading the book.
>>
>>52098373
The closest thing I had was in a maptools game where we used RPG style sprites, one of the healers was eaten by ravens, and had an accompanying sprite.
>>
> The home or hideout of a bad guy looks completely aboned and empty. Upon reaching the last room they find only a small figurine/animal that shares some physical/thematic resemblance with them. Upon leaving, nobody in the setting but the party has any knowledge the character even existed.

This works best if the villain wasn't that bad. Their fate evoking more pity than any sense of justice.
>>
Thing's I've personally done in games that have successfully spooked out my parties:
>Slur the letter "s" every time it comes up in a certain NPC's speech bonus points if the reason for doing this isn't snake-related
>Have players enter a town where races of all kinds (ranging from gnomes to ogres) are living in peaceful harmony and have NPCs the players have met before show up and believe they have always lived there
>A figure in blue robes is often seen watching the party from a mile away. It always disappears before the party can get close to it and there's never any sign of magic being used
>>
File: Hell Valley Sky Trees.jpg (48KB, 970x511px) Image search: [Google]
Hell Valley Sky Trees.jpg
48KB, 970x511px
>>52098910
>>
>Personal, intimate items of the party go missing at night, trinkets, weapons with sentimental value, maybe a lock of hair, are discovered missing in the morning.
>Appear under a tree when the party wakes up the next morning with a flower, lolly, or small vial of perfume next to it.
>>
>>52098592
>Not letting the players deal with the villains themselves.
>Removing villain through DM fiat.
>Removing villain off screen.

Wrong. Stop.
>>
>>52099275
I'm guessing by "villain" he means a simple bandit or something. Still i do disagree with it.
>>
Heres one I used recently
>Player picks an amulet up from a pedestal in an empty otherwise room
>A few seconds later he finds himself in a dark hallway
>As he begins walking down it the door behind him opens up and they hear footsteps coming towards them, and get faster if the player tries to run
>Other party members see him staring blankly at the amulet, and if they move it his head/eyes follow it
>Person in the hallway walks to the end, finding a locked door
>Shortly after this they snap back to reality and the gem in the amulet cracks

Curse/something being freed from amulet after this point is optional.
>>
Another one I remembered:
>Party traveling through area where time "slips".
>Group settles down and starts a camp when it gets dark.
>Rogue notices someone sitting by the dying fireplace.
>Realizes it's a shade and attacks.
>Shade flees
>Night immediately turns to sunset.
>thousands of footprints surrounding camp.
>>
>The forest is full of chirping and other animal noises, every animal the PCs find has been dead for several days.
>Every time you turn around you notice it takes people about a half second to start moving.
>Shadows point towards the sun
>>
>Children's laughter where there are no children
>Dreams of dead loved ones chastising the party for their good deeds, as if they've done something wrong
>Seeing your reflection blink
>>
>>52098373
>"and thats where it ends" This is both kind of cool and a dick move.
>>
>>52098373
> Through some clarification and confused questions from the players, establish that literally everything in the entire session leading up to this point, including picking up and reading from the book, was simply the PCs reading the book.

"A magic reset button!"
- typical Murderhobo's reaction
>>
>>52098373
>"And that's where it ends"
I can't tell, do you end the campaign there? Do you just continue like nothing happened? Did the book predict all the PCs die?
>>
File: spiders.png (1MB, 1232x4500px) Image search: [Google]
spiders.png
1MB, 1232x4500px
>>
Fucking dolls
>>
File: DPAsigil.png (208KB, 2656x1800px) Image search: [Google]
DPAsigil.png
208KB, 2656x1800px
>>52098373
I'm working on a custom near-future horror-ish fantasy setting and the most unnerving non-threatening thing is probably the servitors. People will occasionally donate their body to be reused essentially as a drone, animated and preserved by a bound spirit.

They stand on street corners and wander along predetermined routes constantly observing what's going on, reporting back to their overseer (usually local law enforcement, but they are also employed by federal agencies, particularly the Department of Paranatural Affairs) via a radio implanted in the servitors head. They sort of lurch about, moving as if being puppeteered by someone who hasn't quite gotten the hang of it yet.

They're too clumsy to use weapons and aren't really physically adept, but in large enough numbers they can immobilize people in a wave of bodies.
>>
File: bjAgBcA.jpg (536KB, 800x1297px) Image search: [Google]
bjAgBcA.jpg
536KB, 800x1297px
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/sword-interval/ep-1-prologue/viewer?title_no=486&episode_no=1
>>
Ghosts that don't fight, but sort of moan, cry or knock are always good for setting a tone
>>
>>52099275
See this is why people use the term BBEG instead of villain. I'm 99% sure he meant a minor villain or a major one among many. You wouldn't have an empty home or lair before a BBEG, but you could up to a member of a larger plot.

Besides he clearly said it would work better if the villain wasn't that bad. A BBEG isn't usually a mild annoyance or a small difference in philosophy.
>>
>>52099562
This would be really neat but pretty hard to pull of in descriptions. I'd have something force them into a cabin and pull the old "The paintings are windows" routine but with night/shades instead.
>>
>The restraunt only serves really finely diced or tenderized fish
>It's harder to notice the meat still squirming that way
>>
>NPCs forget who you are or that you were there the moment you're out of their vision.
>You ask for a cup of coffee at a diner, the waiter turns away, fills a cup, then turns back and greets you like you just entered again. He drinks the coffee like it was for him and asks if you'd like a drink to start off. Repeat.
>>
>>52098373
Had a reality-warping BBEG who realized he was a character in a roleplaying game and was trying to break out by becoming me, the GM. Every time he hit someone, the character would hallucinate that they were the player controlling their own actions, up to and including the BBEG referring to them by player name. I would literally describe anything they did in response, up to and including repeating their own words back at them.

It got to the point in one runthrough that a guy had a near mental breakdown over it. I still feel kinda bad and kinda proud of that one.

Other things tend to be descriptions targeted at specific players. One of my players is extremely imaginative/empathetic re: sensory descriptions. Naturally I took the opportunity to describe in horrible detail a vision her character had of a knife going into her ancestor's throat. Another time I killed her appetite by commenting that a magical vision looked like shit tastes and sounded like the feeling of a fingertip caressing the inside of a dead man's rib cage.
>>
File: 1487202482441.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1487202482441.png
1MB, 1366x768px
A cat with very distinct eyes follow the players around. It's never seen sleeping, and players often times wake to it staring at their face. If they kill it, another animal with the same eyes pop up and does the same thing. Sometimes, it's a person. Always watching.

One day, one of the players makes a nat 1 perception check, or the equivalent thereof. They see a the skull of a cow in the shadows. Later that night, when they close their eyes to sleep, they see that skull in their mind. Everywhere they go now, they see that skull, and it always gets closer. Somedays, they find dead bodies with the mask.

The players are sleeping in a cabin in the woods only to be awoken by loud knocking. Looking out, they see an inhuman silhouette. At the door is a large, bushy man with a wide grin with too many teeth. His hands are disproportionately large and have long nails. He demands shelter, and leaves cursed gifts for the party.
>>
>>52099253
I had various trinkets and items show up wherever the PC's where resting. Small stuff that didn't seem to belong to anybody. Necklace, bracelet, holy symbol, wine bottle etc.
Then the PC's arrived at a town with a serial killer and those were all items from the victims.

The killer was among the NPC's that travelled with them, but there was a red herring that it was some sort of supernatural ghost thing so it worked out quite well.
>>
>>52099275
>>52099370
What if it's a minor villain, created for the sole purpose of setting up this freaky little moment?

>When in a big city, the party will occasionally catch glimpses of pale children staring forlornly at them from beneath the sewer grates

>The party stays the night at a raucous, lively inn, before waking up the next morning to find the entire place dusty, shuttered and empty.

>When trekking through the wilderness at dusk, the party comes upon a campsite that looks as if they'd set it up with their own gear.
>>
>>52098373
Dude, my names felix, and thats real fuggin creepy
>>
The party cones across a sleepy little hamlet where everyone seems off. Have the party make a perception check, the ones that pass notice that tge people in their peripheral vision don't move and start again if they shift focus to them. Have one in particular chosen by arbitrary means make another one, regardless of the results they take a look behind them and all the townsfolk are staring directly at them. Have the same character wake up in the middle of the night if they sleep in the inn and notice light coming in through the window, if they investigate describe dozens of people standing outside just staring.
>>
I'd love to pull the old 'Fable 2 Winter Lodge" trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04cHGu1y-FE for reference.
>>
>>52104842
Its a reference to something, cant remember what though.
>>
>>52100488
This isn't a bad a idea actually. The house is actually an illusion and the PCs have entered a spider's lair. The more stuff they check, the more other things turn into spiders. If they understand what's going on quick enough, then they can escape. If they keep inspecting, the whole house crumbles into the pit of the spider queen.
>>
>Party is travelling through a fey forest
>Describe the animals as they walk through the forest, the squirrel climbing up the tree, the birds flitting along the branches, the deer that looks up at them then resumes grazing, etc
>The animals keep repeating these actions
>Over, and over, and over, and over
>Party starts to feel something is wrong as that squirrel ends up climbing a tree with the same acorn in its mouth
>Rogue goes after the squirrel, he tries to catch it but instead drops it
>It shatters on a tree root, having been made of porcelain all this time
>After this revelation, party slowly realizes that all of the animals were porcelain statues all along, and all of them were pointed looking directly at the party

I managed to make several people uncomfortable with that. The best part is, it was wholly unexpected because my games are usually extremely lighthearted.
>>
>>52104956
Fuck, I was playing alone at night when I got there. I immediately put the controller down and went to bed.
>>
>>52104994
Exact same thing happened to me. Say what you will about Fable, as a series, and as something that doesnt live up the the promises of its creatior, but damn if it didnt master some parts. The mood in both 1 and 2 were absolutely fantastic.
>>
>>52104972
It's not really, it's just that entities name from my current campaign. If something else has done this though I'd love to see it for inspiration.

>>52104842
Maybe you're in a non-horror game right now, and your DM is interjecting horror elements as we speak, Felix.
>>
I ran a horror session for my players once. I knew it'd be difficult and had to really bring my players in for them to suspend disbelief.
>session session starts as normal, PCs roll into next town.
>they witness funeral procession for very young girl, died of illness.
>clergyman offers them a room at church
>during the night, storm begins
At this point, I dimmed the lights and played a loud rainfall loop
>PCs hear noise in graveyard adjacent to church
On a speaker hidden in the room, I played very faintly the sound of a girl crying (used the witch's sobbing from L4D)

more like this throughout the session, and just when they were getting spooked, my drunken roommate loudly interrupted my game and ruined the moment. At that point, it was too late to recapture the magic. Everyone was disappointed, but they said afterwards they appreciated what I was going for.
>>
Have an old man offer to pay the party to get rid of some stray dogs that have been tormenting him. If the party takes care of them have the old man refuse to pay them because "They are still there, can't you hear them?" When the players listen they can hear the sound of hounds barking as if from far away. Keep telling them this as they go about their business in the town but describe the sound getting a little closer each time. Eventually in the dead of night as they are at camp, or in an inn describe a cacophony of hounds all around them as if just out of sight, but if they go outside or take a torch to the edge of camp there is nothing there. The barking becomes more and more aggressive with growling and howling, but they are never attacked. Then it just stops.
>>
Used this to great effect during a horror game, but I suppose it could be used in any SF game

>Be DM
>Inna spaceship
>I describe the room, typycal spaceship pilote room with helms, portholes, consoles, instruments...
>While I do this, I knock on my room's window, three times
>"Why did you do this Anon?"
>"I didn't do it. That's what you hear."
>Livid stares

I did this several times during the game, taking them by surprise. One of the players has been scared of windows a whole week after that.
>>
>>52104786
>When in a big city, the party will occasionally catch glimpses of pale children staring forlornly at them from beneath the sewer grates

Did this in a game once. "Mom says I'm not supposed to talk to topsiders."
>>
>>52098373
>PC is alone at home when they hear a loud clonk from another room. They cannot find the source of the noise.
>a month later they come home just in time to see a trap door in that room's wall being shut.
>>
File: 1484710957185.jpg (305KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1484710957185.jpg
305KB, 1920x1200px
>Running Ravenloft
>Players are inna church trying to deal with the priest's vampire spawn son
>He's good at hiding/stealthing, ranger gets fed up with it and casts "detect good/evil"
>"Okay, enough of this, where is he"
>I say "Right behind you" and play a jump scare violin shriek from my laptop

So many bricks were shat. And technically it's a gothic setting, not horror, but I like slipping in that uneasy feeling whenever possible.

>Roll a random encounter in the woods
>It's an empty grave
>Players were chill but now start getting freaked out asking why it's there, who dug it, etc.

Mystery is best spooking tactic
>>
>>52106685
Got a pdf of that random encounter table?
>>
>>52098373
>"And that's where it ends"
There's a short story called The Tome of Tourmaline that has this premise. I think it's available online for free somewhere.
>>
File: satan-mask-291x300.jpg (12KB, 291x300px) Image search: [Google]
satan-mask-291x300.jpg
12KB, 291x300px
>>52101548
This isn't just an idea, it's something I did.

It wasn't hard at all. It came naturally to me. Like, other curious things.
>>
>>52100318
To be honest I haven't ACTUALLY done it, so much as am planning to. Maybe it would be better and cooler to simply end the session there, but it wasn't really gonna be anything super dramatic... just a weird thing for them to find and fuck with their heads

Tempted to name the book "The King in Yellow" but afraid one of the players may think I'm trying to make a direct reference and start explaining to me how these things are completely unrelated, when all I want to do is make a small omage to a sort of spooky book/play within a book.
>>
>>52108467
Now that I think of it, I did something similar in a campaign, but it was more closely tied to the plot.

Essentially some rando asks the players to find a book for him, and not to read it when they find it. Obviously they agree, and mark it down as a side-quest thing. Eventually this rando keeps appearing and asking how the book finding is going. Appearing in places he really shouldn't have been able to get to (monsters, traps, time, etc).

Long story short, they find the book and of course they read it. It for the most part recounted the story of the campaign so far without naming names, and made a few references to a player character who died. None of the players had died at that point.
>>
>>52099275
DnDtard.
>>
File: DrinkyCrow.gif (1007KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
DrinkyCrow.gif
1007KB, 500x313px
>>52108616
>>
>any time somebody gets up in the night innkeeper is always still awake practicing expressions and conversations in a mirror
>>
Weird cult-like messages on the TV and radio.
>>
File: g-man.png (753KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
g-man.png
753KB, 1920x1080px
>>52099014
more like
>>
File: tekken_smile.gif (1MB, 350x270px) Image search: [Google]
tekken_smile.gif
1MB, 350x270px
>>52098592
In the same way of thinking.

>players enter the villains lair
>there are corpses of the villain everywhere
>there's a locked room ahead
>the villain is screaming gibberish at the top of his lungs on the other side of the door
>the players manage to get through the locked door and enter the room
>the corpses of the villain are stacked even higher in this room, piles of villain corpses stacked five bodies high
>the villain readies a weapon and says in a hoarse voice "this time, this time i'm gonna live..."

Of course, the villain dies, and so the players will never learn just why the fuck the entire building is filled with the corpses of the villain.
>>
>>52099890
>Children's laughter where there are no children
whoa what an original and unique concept! did you come up with that one yourself? you're like the next stephen king!
>>
>>52110074
It's almost like we AREN'T professional writers or something
>>
File: 13.jpg (181KB, 1415x1079px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
181KB, 1415x1079px
The closest I ever got to having any horror (wasn't really scary) was having the players find a black cube buried in the sand on a beach, guarded by some monster who had been there for thousands of years. Every once in a while I'd drop hints that it wasn't just inert and had some powerful magic juju, or I'd have other sinister objects that seemed to be the same material. If they asked powerful beings about it they wouldn't get an answer. In the end, they never figured out what it did (and I didn't either).
>>
>>52110130
neither am i but cmon, that's like the oldest horror cliche there is
>>
>>52100961
Blow-up dolls are scary, but for the wrong reason.
>>
Can you guys help me kinda "troll" my players?
I want to scare them but it's actually all completely harmless stuff. For instance
>Mimics of the party are seen at the dark end of the hallway, and copies every movement but flipped the other way. At the end of the hallway, you realize it was just a mirror
>>
>>52111392
They start receiving creepy letters.

Turns out it's actually some cryptic game of two pen-pals and the postman is a dumb lazy cunt putting the post in the wrong box.
>>
>>52111392
Yo I got you famalam.

"Shadowy figures suddenly appear below you, mimicking your actions! What do you do?" See what they do, then just go "It's your shadows, you retards." Alternatively, you could have some creepy guy offer them free stuff then after he leaves tell them he was actually just a nice guy.
>>
All the birds outside are singing the exact same song. Not in unison, but it's the exact same song.
>>
>>52110226
Its a magic 8cube, clearly
>>
>>52105138
What is the point of things like this? My players would be pulled OUT of the feeling of the game if there was an unanswered question like that.
>>
>>52111392
Tell us What your setting is like so we can give more on point ideas.

The party finds an old knife with a tarnished steel blade and worn staghorn handle. The tarnish won't come off but it otherwise seems normal, holding a fine edge despite it's apparent age. If picked up it feels good in the hand and cuts well as any quality knife. The weird comes in if it's left behind or misplaced. weeks later and miles away, there's a staghorn knife just sitting there. The tarnish is the same, the grooves of the antler are identical. Is it the same knife or are they just being paranoid? If taken nothing untoward happens. If left behind they encounter it again in another time and place, again and again.
>>
>>52111982
The party crash landed on an island and is basically running around stopping multiple people trying to bring the end of the island around in their own ways, and I wanna give it a very sinister undertone if they dig deep enough.
So far the BBEG are gonna be a giant viking, a young sorceress, some long dead king raised to life and some alien shit underground. The viking has a small camp area with an arena, the undead king has a small kingdom and the sorceress a large manor if that help.s
>>
>>52111836
This

Dear anons, Lovecraft horror/suspense does NOT work in RPGs. There's a reason everyone only cares about the monsters.

Lovecraft suspense amounts to
>things happen
>things are weird and unexplainable
>Oh man, things are really weird and scary
>it ends
>no explanation. The end.

Which is fine since that's the end of the story. Unless your campaign ends right there, it's going to leave players confused and bothered.
>>
>>52112135
To be fair, I intended these to be more like prompts. I think if you're going to use scary shit in your non-horror based campaign, you definitely need to explain it, just not necessarily right away. Let the explainable set the mood, but don;t nescesarily let it end there.
>>
>>52102245
>Abloo bloo 2spoopy4me
What a faggot
>>
>>52111836
>>52112135
The point is to remind the players that there are forces and mysteries in the world beyond their ability to know or comprehend.
I once had my players end up in a village overnight where some seriously freaky shit happened, and I never once explained anything that was going on, because there was no way for their characters to know.
They survived and continued on, but every single one of my players remembers that game session.
What horror requires is for the GM to be a capable storyteller, know how to effect pacing, and players who are ready to play ball when it comes to mysterious circumstances and roleplay their characters rather than numbers.
>>
>>52112024
It does, i was about to suggest they get weird phone calls that turn out to just be a wrong number and a speech impediment. But that doesn't fit your theme it sounds like.

Instead how about in the manor they find blood mixed with fine burbon in some of the decanters. Red herring them to think there are vamps about but really it was a gift she didn't care for but couldn't get rid of without insulting the giver. She may be evil but that doesn't mean she can't have manners.

Near the vikings place crows follow them, watching with interest. As they draw closer to a patrol or the camp more crows show up. They aren't spys they just know people who wander to close to his camp die and they're just savvy scavengers. Crows are scary smart so figuring this out is well within their normal abilities.

Undead heralds of the king walk the lands bearing his tattered standard on a pole with a bell atop. Every few steps the standard bearer plants the pole snd makes the bell chime ominously. Priests in tattered garb walk in front with censors walk before and aft with cowls drawn. They do a slow deep gregorian style chant in a "holy" language used by priests from the kings time. If deciphered the chant is something to the effect of "he is risen. All shall kneel. He is risen. All shall bow. He is risen. All shall fall. All shall fall and rise again. All will hail the risen lord. Always and forever. He is risen, never to fall again"

The alien shit... not sure really. Perhaps they start seeing creatures from the deep and dark braving the light. Just random underdark shit, beasts or non-sentients for best effect that never, Never come to the surface. What could be driving these things into the light?
>>
>>52112024
See
>>52113422
for starters. "The keenest emotion is fear, most of all fear of the unknown." Show, don't tell. Give them the unexplained with no way to directly slash and burn their fears away, until they overcome their ignorance. Monsters can be slain but misdirection and uncertainty will leave them twitchy. Ambiance, music, lighting. All these things can help get the players in the right mood. In the right light even little things can cast big shadows.
>>
>>52098373
Closest thing I've come across was a Ravnica campaign I played in. We cleared out a Rakdos hideout and found a secret door with a bunch of Chromatic Lanterns surrounding a pool of water in which "our reflections were smiling". Tossing something into said returned two identical items. GM misunderstood me when I said "let's try this out" and ask if I really intend to have my character jump in. I regret not doing so, the Azorius were close behind us and disenchanted the pool.
>>
Fey always are a good scource for this.
>walking down a road, some odd noise spooks the party, stop to look arround, the path they just walked up is just trees
>fey refer to day and night as people, next session do so when narrating as GM.
>Animal calls randomly mix in human words "hoot, hoot, RUN, hoot"
>>
>>52112437
Well, it isn't just you, either. There are several things in this thread that have the formula of "a creepy thing happens. you dont know why. the creepy thing is now gone."
>>
>>52112437
>you definitely need to explain it
Why?
Unless the players are already major powers, why do they need to be spoonfed things they may never know?
I feel it makes the world bigger, more layered, that things are going on that need not be about the players. The hopes, ambitions, rise and falls of others.
>>
>>52113422
>and players who are ready to play ball

I think is actually the key, the most important part of any horror game or game with horror elements. The players have to want to be scared, they have to play along. I think it's perfectly fine for a GM to throw horror stuff at the player's in right context and it may work or it may fall flat (which can inform your decision to keep doing it or not), but if you really want anyone to feel fear, everyone in the room has to be working together to make that happen.
>>
Not really spooky but a rather alarming thing.
>players are Homebrew Cavalier, Warforged ranger, Half-Elf paladin Ranger and a Kitsune Magus Samurai thing.
>Magus meets a little girl
>little girl is a sorceress descended from the greatest Mage literally ever.
>capable of almost anything
>Paladin tells her to fuck off and do her own thing
>Kitsune was attached to little girl
>he does not go after her
>despite going after her before

They all know that she can do literally anything. But fuck that shit, clearly starting a revolution is more important.
>>
>>52110130

Actually, I'm a professional writer myself.

>>52098373

> A hoarse voice whispers a certain PC's name over and over again, getting louder and louder each repetition, but no one else is able to hear anything. Finally, when the hoarse whisper is about to drive them mad, it goes silent.
>>
It was more of a joke, but it ended up being spooky for one of my players when they met an old man with this donkey. The party jokingly asked what the donkey's alignment was, I jokingly said evil, laughs etc. Then the Paladin did an in-character Evil check.

>"Nope, nothing."
>"See guys, the donkey's not evil."
>"No, I mean you can't detect anything. It's like the donkey isn't even there."
>proceed to tell the paladin the donkey stopped chewing its food and is now staring at him "as if into your soul"
>everyone else laughs
>paladin is just like "...oh shit", in-character terrified out-of-character speculating the donkey is the BBEG
>>
>>52114327
There are people I know that I would NEVER invite to a horror campaign. It's like inviting your mom to a regular campaign; it just doesn't work and it ruins the experience for everyone.

inb4 >but my mom is cool and plays dnd
>>
>>52116186
>DM inserts supur speshul little magical wizard marry sue self insert girl.
>Players see right trough him, and proceed to do the things they want, not dealing with his shit.
>Somehow alarming
At least your players aren't complete faggots, unlike you.
>>
File: true art.jpg (73KB, 655x342px) Image search: [Google]
true art.jpg
73KB, 655x342px
>>52110050
Stolen.
>>
Bait-and-switches can do a lot.

>DMing for High School group
>Party chasing down artifact from a dead civilization in a desert
>Find it, have to deliver it to town
>When the party breaks for dinner mid-travel, I stay behind an extra few minutes
>Erase the amulet from the bearer's character sheet
>Write it in on That Guy's inventory
>He's playing a rogue, everyone suspects him of trying to screw the party over
>(Because he has tried to screw the party over a few times)
>Party comes back, I have a private talk with That Guy about unrelated shit, future plans, "clerical errors I've made"
>Send him in, have private talk with the bearer
>He wakes up to see That Guy standing over him, amulet in hand, ready to kill him in his sleep
>Sees That Guy runs off as soon as he wakes up
>This, of course, didn't actually happen
>Bearer goes inside, checks his inventory, of course amulet isn't on it
>Bring him back to the full party, chaos ensues
>Everyone's arguing, accusing That Guy and the bearer
>That Guy only has his word, since amulet is literally on his person
>That Guy knows he's being framed, but keeps arguing his innocence in-game
>As the party is arguing, softly play the sound of children giggling through my speakers
>Only guy not arguing, Mr. Neutral hears it and raises an eyebrow
>"Yeah, real funny, anon."
>I smile at Mr. Neutral
>"...wait, you mean we actually hear that?"
>"Well, they don't seem to have, but you did."
>"...GUYS?!"

Ghosts of some child soldiers of a dead race. Had a lot of fun with them. Wigged the party right the fuck out.
>>
>>52119807
I should also mention that I clarified everything after the session was over, just in case they didn't realize through figuring out they were being haunted that That Guy had really been framed.

There were no hard feelings, and they all seemed to like it. Even That Guy admitted it was well executed.
>>
>>52119636
If you want to see it that way, go ahead.
>>
The best way to evoke a form of dread is to hide the monster from them. Stuff like just seeing a monstrous tail slinking into the bushes or finding the corpses of its previous meals.

All of that stuff can make the encounter with the monster pretty spooky. Keep in mind that method loses tension when the monster becomes a beatable threat.

To counter that, add a little twist that sends a small shiver down their spine.

>Party enters town, people are scared. They say small children come in the night and attack, cart off victims and leave them screaming in the forest.

>Party decides to find them. Wait till night to find the things. Maybe they are harassed by the monster-things, don't show them in the light yet. Soon they hear screaming coming from the woods.

>Chase source of screaming. They're lead to a clearing in the forest, dimly lit. They can see bodies hanging from nooses swinging from the trees. Don't forget the details! Details about the bodies are really important.

>They're not real bodies. There's no real screaming (or maybe there is). They're evil scarecrows that kill people and turn them into scarecrows. Bodies drop from nooses and attack.

>This here kills the tension you've been building. The monster becomes beatable. The PCs take solace in the fact that killing scarecrows become real. Scarecrows defeated, party returns to town victorious.

>As they're leaving town, down the only path available, a single noose, empty, swings in the breeze from a tree. The forest is silent.
>>
>>52124117
Not small kids, sorry. Decided to change the story halfway through. :/
>>
>Party is traveling through the wilderness, camping for the night
>Light can be seen further down the valley near the river, two days travel from their location
>Next night, light can again be seen
>When they reach the spot where the light should approximately be, only a almost featureless, monolithic idol, eroded by the weather, can be found.
>If they camp not too far from the idol, no light can be seen.
>If they stray further, the light reappears
Chances are that they want to investigate it. Never have them discovering the origin of the light
If you want you can have them hear ominous sounds, close to infrasound, or have them have trouble sleeping when close to the idol
>>
>>52125109
>infrasound
Now that I think of it, if you have the equipement, you could use infrasound (<20Hz) to really mess with your players and your neighbours possibly.

A British experiment tested the influence of a pure sine wave of 17 Hz playing underneath a musical play. 22% of 700 people tested, reported anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear, chills down the spine, and feelings of pressure on the chest.
>>
>>52119636
This reminds me of a situation I had a few months ago.

>Party is comprised of a Fighter, Rogue, Paladin, and Barbarian.
>Sent to retrieve macguffin from a mountain palace a few miles away.
>Along the way, they meet a mage who says that he wants to help.
>Party blows him off.
>When they meet him in town, they blow him off.
>When they meet him on the outskirts of the mountains, they blow him off.
>They reach the mountain fortress but they have to make climb rolls to reach the top.
>Nobody brought rope and nobody invested in climb because "fucking DM, who uses climb?"
>Keep in mind, I said "mountain fortress" long before campaign was a thing.
>They decide to roll a climb check and inevitably most of them fall to their deaths.
>Fighter is the only one to reach the top, where he finds the mage who they blew off earlier
>"How the fuck did he beat me to the top?"
>"He prepared Fly today."
>Everyone goes nuclear and bails
Joke's on them, I didn't like 'em anyways
>>
>>52105138
If they ever go looking for the old man they learn he died suddenly and no one will talk about it
>>
>>52101303
This is pretty great anon. Thanks for linkin
>>
>>52125251
That just sounds fucking evil, anon.
>>
>>52119636
That is a bad DMPC/DM Pet situation, and I would have pulled the DM aside out of game and told him to knock it off.
>>52125285
Your situation is in no way comparable, unless your mage was some super powered little cat girl that screams "Avoid the GM's magical realm".
>>
>>52099890
I have all of these on my Warlock's Demiplane. It's a labyrinth, dimly lit and enclosed above, made of stone bricks populated entirely by unmoving porcelain dolls and anyone my warlock has deemed a big enough threat to the world to be permanently moved there. It also contains the children's laughter with no visible source just around every corner you turn, never quite reaching it. I really love it when I get to add flavour to my spells like this.
>>
File: onnaduderanch skinwalker.jpg (1MB, 1848x3702px) Image search: [Google]
onnaduderanch skinwalker.jpg
1MB, 1848x3702px
>>52101303
fucken skinwalkers. fuck off.
>>
>>52125251
I have often been told that 17 Hz is the Creepy Frequency. Do I need anything besides a stereo system in order to play it?
>>
>>52099890
>>Seeing your reflection blink

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT
>>
>>52127654
That's the moment they reach through the mirror and swap places with you, and a whole new adventure begins.
>>
File: baby deer.jpg (322KB, 907x449px) Image search: [Google]
baby deer.jpg
322KB, 907x449px
>>
>>52099890
The reflection one spooks me pretty good
>>
File: saturn's rings bruce pennington.jpg (58KB, 564x801px) Image search: [Google]
saturn's rings bruce pennington.jpg
58KB, 564x801px
>What looked like an ordinary gas giant planet to the explorers turned out otherwise once they either got closer or used a more powerful telescope.
>>
>>52131187
I feel like this would just be over the top
>>
>>52098373
I had one idea for a creepy thing where messages written backwards on mirrors show up to the characters, but they never see them appear. If they try to erase them, they can't.

The implication being that something on the other side of the mirror is writing the messages.
>>
>>52132762
Never reveal what did it. The rings of a gas giant are made of the skeletons of trillions. Multiple sentient species are represented and the total mass is greater than a planet.
>>
>>52098373
I'm running a relatively happy-go-lucky game for my group, just good times adventuring, but I love my horror and can't let it go. That makes the times when I push it in all the more frightening.
>party finds themselves in not-atlantis
>they're making their way through a dilapidated mansion, I'm setting the scene
>there's moldy curtains hanging from the windows, puddles on the floor and you can hear water dripping elsewhere, stone tiles on the floor, (druid) feels a hand clutch at her ankle, there's carved reliefs lining the ceiling...
>party briefly wats then proceeds to freak out, turns out there's ghosts

It's the little things that count.
>>
File: 1473853496046.jpg (164KB, 499x514px) Image search: [Google]
1473853496046.jpg
164KB, 499x514px
>3am
>cant sleep
>I know, I'll browse some /tg/ on my phone until I fall asleep
>mfw this thread
>>
>>52134866
I too made that mistake last night
Ended up having a nightmare that night
>>
>>52098373
>PCs are on a ship that is explicitly designed to only have them onboard.
>Have them hear strange but easily explained away noises, like knocking or metal under strain
>Have them notice small, inconsequential objects go missing
>Stop and occasionally ask them how many of them are on the ship
>Keep this up for a while at random intervals
>Machinery begins to malfunction, sometimes in ways that looked deliberate
>Have bigger and more important objects go missing
>Loud knocks and whispering that didn't come from them
>Have their spacesuits go missing
>Ask them again how many of them are on the ship and try to suggest they check the crew monitor without actually telling them to
>The monitor says there's one more person than the number of PCs on the ship
>>
>>52098910
>>Slur the letter "s" every time it comes up in a certain NPC's speech
You can't slur a letter in speech. Speech doesn't have letters.
>>
This ol' story from the archives might be relevant to the thread.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/6088875/#6089317
>>52104979
Fey fuckery is always a good reason for creepy stuff happening.
>>
>>52137576
I had a DM who would use fey every once in a while and I got to the point where I would actually get a sense of dread every time it seemed like they were going to be encountered. He was very good at portraying them as completely alien and incomprehensible
>>
>In a small farming town
>the general goods store is owned by a sweet old man
>always refers to his wife and daughter, but they are never seen just an empty loom, and chair with a doll sitting in it
>>
File: 1489090239008.jpg (1MB, 4000x2882px) Image search: [Google]
1489090239008.jpg
1MB, 4000x2882px
>>
File: 1489090314745.jpg (1MB, 4000x2968px) Image search: [Google]
1489090314745.jpg
1MB, 4000x2968px
>>52139309
>>
File: 1489092492143.jpg (3MB, 4984x2328px) Image search: [Google]
1489092492143.jpg
3MB, 4984x2328px
>>52139345
>>
File: Creepy Moments.pdf (345KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Creepy Moments.pdf
345KB, 1x1px
>>52098373
Can't be arsed to check if this is posted yet so here.
>>
As the player sits on a roof top, staring at the stars they notice that many stars seem to be missing in an odd shape and two large bright ones that seem closer then the others that still remain. Then the stars blink.
>>
>>52140810
>player
Character
>>
>>52139404
Did blue follow up after that or is that where it ends
>>
>>52142594
I recall more stuff of decreasing quality.
>>
File: Frosty.jpg (474KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Frosty.jpg
474KB, 1500x750px
>>52098373
>As the party of 5 sets up camp for the night, players take turns on watch
>First shift, nothing special happens, tends the fire and hears some wildlife in the brush
>Second shift, much the same, just the one player sitting near the fire watching the five bodies sleep
>third shift is again the same, gets to see a beautiful sunrise
>The morning after, second shift realizes there was one too many people he was watching
>Tracks in the dirt in and out of the camp in four or five spots when the party rolls investigation
>>
>>52142618
Most thought it was an imposter.
>>
>>52100961
Rape dolls I like it
>>
File: touhou alice circle a.jpg (440KB, 1280x1200px) Image search: [Google]
touhou alice circle a.jpg
440KB, 1280x1200px
>>52100961
>>
>>52098910
>Have two games with two parties going at the same time (but on different days), both in the same universe and with much animosity between each other
>Party A has become god-like, while party B is still mortal
>Keep telling B how powerful A is
>A makes much weaker copies of themselves and sends them at B
>Don't let B know they are copies, then release A copies in the crowded city B is in

It'd be scary to fight a barbarian with +40 intimidate while the highest strength in your party is 10
>>
>>52099890
>>Seeing your reflection blink
What about your reflection stopping all movement.
>>
>>52105016
>as something that doesn't live up the the promises of its creator, but damn if it didn't master some parts

I don't care if it had flaws, I will always love 1 and 2. I also think 3 was passable. I just fucking love Fable.
>>
>>52104956
>>52104994
Did anyone else feel like every single Demon Door had an underlining feeling of "wrongness?"

There was always just some feeling that something just wasn't right, and I almost never get that feeling from anything.
>>
>>52144105
3 is a hot mess with a few good ideas ruined by shallow and bad-headed execution. 1 is a merely adequate game. 2 showed genuine improvement and a surprisingly interesting narrative.
>>
I had one session where the party found a town that was basically abandoned, only an old general store and inn. When most of the party went to the general store one went to the inn and decided to have a drink. When he did he saw a small doll sitting at the bar at the end, he asked the bartender about it but he didn't see the doll and pointed to the empty bar stool the doll was sitting at. The player brushed it off and as he was leaving I pointed out that his character saw the doll hanging from the door starring at him.
>>
>>52142650
I like it. Really didnt notice anything wrong until it was really pointed out.
That could work out really well
>>
>>52144262
The sword evolution things was sick as shit, and spell weaving was rad.

Too bad there were no standard weapons and that the spell selection was the worst in the series.
>>
>>52144521
Although, when used IRL sessions, I think there needs something to come immediately after the 'watching five sleeping bodies' otherwise the players may already take notice and react to it too early
Maybe something like rustling leaves caused by wildlife
>>
>>52136202
Sure thing, to be more clear he should have said something like:

Keep in mind whatever an NPC is saying and transpose it into its textual representation in your head(use paper if its too hard). In the case that in that text representation of that NPC's speech you see a letter s, slurr that sound that you represented with the letter s.
>>
>>52143396
No no rape dolls you faggot
>>
>>52144062
I like that one too. What if someone else walked up to the mirror? Would their reflection get stuck too? Or what if from then on the character didn't have a reflection in any other mirror?
>>
>>52143640
What about dolls that turn you into a doll
>>
>>52146706
You'll have to go ask f-list about that kind of thing.
>>
>>52117339
Isn't that how Detect Evil works? When you try to use it on a lamp you get the same result as a True Neutral person.
>>
>>52146768
What's that
>>
>>52147309
Where people who are interested in things like dolls turning people into dolls go.
>>
>>52108616
>DnDtard.
I'm stealing that.
>>
File: mirror-007.jpg (113KB, 560x700px) Image search: [Google]
mirror-007.jpg
113KB, 560x700px
>At every town you go through, someone says they have a message for you
>They say some cryptic phrase that doesn't have enough context to make sense
>None of these "messengers" seem to have any relation to each other. They're people from all walks of life, some even children
>If you piece together all the "messages," you find that it's a poem about someone's reflection killing them and taking their place

It's a neat idea I had. Gruesomeness of poem optional. Maybe only give the character messages when he's alone, so the rest of the party is ignorant of these happenings, and possibly doubts they are real. Character might develop a phobia of mirrors.
>>
>>52138271
That's just sad, not creepy. His wife and child are dead but his senility leads him to believe they're just out shopping, or back at home.
>>
>>52144155
Yeah. They always made me feel uncomfortable, even when there was nothing obviously wrong. Maybe there just wasn't any ambient music and occasionally you'd hear a weird sound. But then there was shit like the winter lodge and Terry Cotter's army.
>>
File: 1486400047554.gif (7MB, 480x311px) Image search: [Google]
1486400047554.gif
7MB, 480x311px
>>52149915
Ack, I didn't notice all the other mirror related things in this thread. I wanted to focus more on someone using these townsfolk as mouthpieces to convey a unsettling message that implies something bad happening to the PC.
>>
>>52144105
There is realy only one thing i adore about fable and thats the Witchwood.
I dont know why. The idea of a pine rainforest is cool as hell, i wasn tso much about the werewolves and all that. More the very dense rainy forest and the Town with the lanterns, that was the shit.
>>
>>52144657
Or he could have said
>>>Slur the S every time it comes up in a certain NPC's speech
Thus it would have been clear that he isn't talking about the letter, but about what you said.
>>
File: 1454211652650.jpg (12KB, 284x276px) Image search: [Google]
1454211652650.jpg
12KB, 284x276px
>>52139422
>When you tell your father that you're afraid of the thing in your closet, he hands you a colt m1911
>>
File: smughippo.jpg (149KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
smughippo.jpg
149KB, 500x378px
>>52111651
Hahaha I kinda did this to my party.

>final Boss lair
>filled with traps, magic and mechanics
>getting eaten by furniture n shit
>party just wants to kill the bastard
>ignore other possible rooms, go straight for "inner sanctum"
>describe the hallway as ending in a big door, but also passing four smaller ones, each with a sign
>design them that they can only see the inside of the room if they step into it
>first one named "Aggressor"
>fighter peaks inside, big fucking metal bull staring back
>hell no, close door
>second "Protector"
>peak inside, some rubble and a weird feeling of magic
>nope, close
>third one "Necromancy"
>open door, but usual blackness before entering room immediately subsides as if it was a gas or something
>room completely empty
>wat
>party uneasy, checks for danger
>casually mention that it is the first time everyone has a clear shadow since dungeon has magic light
>shadow falls as if light comes out of the necromancy room although it isn't
>party starts beating own shadows on the floor, nothing
>eventually fighter checks the room
>shadow rises up and forms a person
>fighter does what every 8 int guy would do and starts attacking it
>hits sometimes
>shadow fights back but only misses
>ranger just watches in a silent facepalm, eventually tells the fighter to freeze
>shadow freezes with him
>fighter looks at me
>yasunufubitch.png
>>
>>52136022
Sounds a bit like the movie Sunshine. It's one of my favorites, I'll have to watch that again
>>
>>52147403
Everything's a damned fetish theses day isn't it
>>
>>
>>52150533
You should go live in the Pacific Northwest. If you can stay out of the faggot hipster cities, it'll remind you an awful lot of the Witchwood.
>>
>>52151820
Oh god what
>>
>>52119151
My mom IS cool and she DOES play D&D.
In fact my gf's mom also used to play D&D.
>>
File: 1.jpg (162KB, 746x900px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
162KB, 746x900px
>Party walks past pic related
>Offhandedly mention that something seems odd about the dog in the window
>Art buff says "what? there's no dog in that painting"
>Inspect painting
>Hound bursts through painting and attacks party
>After defeating it, painting seems to have reformed, but farmer and wife now have dog heads
>>
>>52098373
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Little_Fears
>>
>>52155557
That's pretty cool. Playing to your players' interests to make things spookier is always a good idea.
>>
>>52139422
Yo thanks senpai, this is great!
>>
>>52151820
>A sample of Pure Evil was obtained from the ruins of an exploded toaster in the south of England.

Someone's been watching Time Bandits.
>>
>>52155557
>>Offhandedly mention that something seems odd about the dog in the window
>>Art buff says "what? there's no dog in that painting"

Ah, I love this.
>>
>>52150763
Hey homie
If shit goes bump in the night
Bump back
>>
>>52143889
I did this once, except I was running a First Light Campaign with three people, and an Eberron homebrew campaign with the other four.

The three (Party A) were duking it out with an insanely powerful Far Realm creature that was threatening to take over the sentience of all of the Outer Planes deities.

Party B, one of whom was actually worshiping a character from Party A, was fighting the Corrupted in the mortal realm. The Corrupted were beings who were possessed by this Far Realm entity and were waging an all out war against the Demon Wastes and possessing whatever they could get their hands on.

Long story short, Party A was influencing the world that Party B was fighting in while Party B was trying to kill the Far Realm entity by destroying the anchor in the mortal realm which would make it easier for Party A to banish.

Neither group knew this until the god from Party A started assisting with Divine Intervention on behalf of the Cleric in Party B.
>>
>>52099617
I, too, remember the eerie events threads on RPG.net
>>
File: Saitama Hates Mosquitos.jpg (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Saitama Hates Mosquitos.jpg
59KB, 1920x1080px
>>52139422
>Any insect in his presence is completely invulnerable. A mosquito could be swatted a
hundred times and continue buzzing
>>
>>52164876
Shit that's fucked
>>
Sortof related, but what is scary shit to find in the woods in a fantasy setting?

I'm running a 3.x campaign where the party has been hired to stop attacks by feral elves on livestock, and I plan for the elves to be going full wendigo and shit. What's ways for them to be creepy?
>>
>>52166800
Horny female skinwalkers grinding against your characters legs

Like 10 of the fuckers
>>
>>52166800
Weird coppery metallic smell. Traces of Human (elven) limbs that look like the person was running on all fours. Single bones and teeth of killed animals scattered along the way, like a trace of stone pebbles leading further into the woods.
>>
>servants of the BBEG die just like anything else, but their eyes never close and follow the PCs until they leave
>>
>>52136202
>Speech doesn't have letters.
Actually it has six.
>>
>>52169046
The sentence was
>Speech doesn't have letters.
It was not
>〈Speech〉doesn't have letters.
Work on your reading comprehension. Or your sense of humor.
>>
>>52101152
Yeah, mate, we've all heard of 40k
>>
>>52146768
literally an ito story.
>>
>>52098373
>something that can't happen
>it happens
D A M A G E D
>>
>>52169303
Have you considered chilling your autism, fampai? The guys joke was cheeky, but fine.
>>
>>52136022
This reminds me of one of my favorite scary stories, but I'm not sure how you would fit it into the context of a game.

>Old man is sitting at home
>It's very late at night, nearing midnight
>Suddenly, knock on his door
>He opens the front door
>No one is there
>Closes, goes to bed.
>Next night
>Around the same exact time
>Hears another knock
>Opens the door, looks around carefully
>No one there
>Closes, goes to bed.
>The NEXT night
>Hears another knock at the same exact time
>This time he's ready
>Opens the door
>Rushes out into the street
>No one is there
>Starts yelling for those kids to stop playing pranks on him or he'll really get them
>Goes inside, closes, goes to bed
>The next night
>Just before the appointed time
>Has pulled his rocking chair up to the door
>Shotgun sitting in his lap
>Clock nearby
>The clock rolls over
>Knock kno-
>Old man leaps up, opens the door, steps outside, and sweeps his gun around
>There's no one there.
>Sighs, turns around and goes back into his house
>Notices there's a note attached to his door.
>It says "Now we're ALL inside."
>>
>>52169303
Actually he's grammatically correct either way. You putting parenthesis around it is basically your own head-canon on rules. You should consider killing yourself and being shot. Not necessarily in that order.
>>
>>52150589
Unparalleled levels of autism.
>>
File: immortality granted.png (165KB, 667x758px) Image search: [Google]
immortality granted.png
165KB, 667x758px
>>
>>52171477
You could have the players open the door and make a notice check or whatever to see if they see whatever it is come in. You'd need them to be staying in one place for a while though
>>
File: A wondering Gondola.jpg (446KB, 1500x884px) Image search: [Google]
A wondering Gondola.jpg
446KB, 1500x884px
>>52098373
This thing reminds me of Gondola
>>
>>52171541
>Actually he's grammatically correct either way. You putting parenthesis around it is basically your own head-canon on rules.
Linguists all over the world have been doing this for decades.
>In linguistics, chevrons indicate graphemes (i.e., written letters) or orthography, as in "The English word /kæt/ is spelled ⟨cat⟩."
Quotation marks or greater/lesser than-signs would have been fine as well. Actually I don't care either way, I just don't think the joke was funny.
>>
File: Um.png (219KB, 363x447px) Image search: [Google]
Um.png
219KB, 363x447px
>>52173901
>I don't care
>But I'm still gonna bitch about it for several posts
>>
>>52166800
Things you know you left home.
>>
>>52169046
You're a funny guy, Sully - I like you.

That's why I'm going to kill you last.
>>
>>52104956
Oh godamn, it looked so comfy that I just wandered around outside for ages until BAM
>>
File: IMG_0043.jpg (109KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0043.jpg
109KB, 480x360px
Wow, this has been one of the worst threads on the subject in recent memory. Way to go, /tg/
>>
File: 1487028300444.gif (193KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
1487028300444.gif
193KB, 400x399px
>>52173901
you sound like a fun persssssssssson
>>
>>52177664
There were some good posts before the English debate started
>>
So maybe we can get back to spooky shit. One thing I've noticed that works fairly well is not trying to go overboard in what something looks like if you want it to be scary. Something looking terrifying in a complex way can work in a visual medium but not always when the people have to imagine it without reference. Subtle simple things can go a long way; describing how a person's mouth seems too big for their face, or that they have too many teeth. Maybe they walk in a really off putting way that seems unnatural and more things that are wrong with them become apparent as it goes on. You want stuff that's easy to imagine basically
>>
>>52106685
>casting detect evil in Ravenloft
Canonically, literally everything, the players included, should light up. Even the church and the ground.
>>
>>52102245
>It got to the point in one runthrough that a guy had a near mental breakdown over i
Gonna need a story on this, anon. That sounds amazing
>>
>>52182187
I second this if that anon is still around
>>
File: 1480295847297.jpg (500KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1480295847297.jpg
500KB, 1280x1707px
>>52105746
That one would creep the fuck out of me
>>
>>52099890
>PC looks in mirror
>reflection scrunches it's face and rips a huge fart
>mirror vibrates off the wall and shatters
>>
>>52184022
Spooky
>>
File: helicopter.jpg (13KB, 200x225px) Image search: [Google]
helicopter.jpg
13KB, 200x225px
Paranoia shit:

If you're playing a game where it's good to have paranoid PCs (Call of Cthulhu, uh, Paranoia, Dark Heresy, etc.) just call up extra, superfluous details. Start with a credible threat that makes it clear someone knows the PCs and wishes them ill, then throw out little details in your descriptions that set their imaginations off.

The PC is grilling a hotel clerk in the lobby, not subtle enough. Mention the newspaper crinkling as the guy behind him reads the sports page. Call attention to cameras, people in suits not doing anything in particular, why is that helicopter up there? Didn't that van go by once already?

Do it right and you can creep the players out while simultaneously providing lots of opportunities for a good player to roleplay his character's deteriorating mental state.

Not all horror elements need to be spoopy and supernatural.
>>
>>52098373
One memorable one a GM did.
We had just arrived at an old battlefield, the site of the ultimate battle of ages long past, yadda yadda. We were crossing it to reach a city fast. While we were talking about what we were doing, the GM flashed a picture. I didn't see it, only one of us saw it (From what I gather, it was a spooky black shadow monster with a mask)
Naturally, he got us all to go murderhobo, we went out to the battlefield, snooped around, and found out that it was haunted. We killed some ghosts, and found and killed a boss ghost monster. When we beat it, we got genericy "The forboding presence has lifted, ecetera", but the guy who saw it was adamant that the thing we killed wasn't what he saw.
Then, I'll never forget this, somewhere in the mess of us talking about it, the gm found an opening where only he was looking at him, and flashed the picture again.

Nothing else came of it, but that player refused to go back along the battlefield on the way back. It was effective as fuck.
>>
>>52124117

That's pretty good.
>>
>>52098373
>Someone's writing a message on the foggy window. You're on the second floor.
Note: this only works if it's colder inside than outside
>>
>>52187202
>that pic
If you see a Kiowa there is some weird shit going down.
>>
>>52189922
Tell us about Kiowas and what weirdness may be around them anon.
>>
>>52187280
How did the GM do it? I mean, did he work with visual cues like that before? I think if I just flashed a picture of something spooky at somebody in my group, they'd think I was acting weirdly.
>>
>>52190674
I always thought it would be neat if the DM used visual or audio cues for things. It might be a bit gimmicky but I still think it'd be fun
>>
>>52190674
He did usually provide physical notes whenever we found a letter or tablet or something, and regularly provided us with images of monsters that literally everyone doesn't know about.
This was the only time anything like this was done though.
>>
>>52099275

>stop liking things I don't like

Go outside.
>>
Heroes of Horror had a great table of spooky effects. Let me see if I can find it.
>>
File: Creepy Effects.pdf (289KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Creepy Effects.pdf
289KB, 1x1px
>>52200805
Here you go fellas.
>>
>>52200858
thanks, anon.
>>
>>52101152
>>52169376
You gotta use a name like Janitors or Cleaners Servitors already sounds spooky you gotta use a mundane name to show how this is what is considered normal in this spookfest of a setting
>>
>>52173477

Thank.
>>
>>52189890
Who said it had to be written with the foggy-whatever?
NEEDS MOAR SPOOKS
Thread posts: 217
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.