[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GM Looking for advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (30KB, 495x700px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
30KB, 495x700px
So im currently doing CoC stuff with my group and in our last session we had a bit of an hicc-up

I planned out a 6 page plot for the group that involved their characters (which they played for a session before that) fleeing to a town further north to then seek shelter and refuge there.

My idea was that their characters were hungry and tired and the town (Southwold, England) was the only town around to provide them what they were seeking.

One of the players asked me the session before to turn up the horror so i gave the people working for the Adnams company in Southwold jokerish scars and made them look for the players at night.
During daytime they'd be normal people and at night they'd want to look for the players because they had connections to a cultist the players had sex with the previous session.
She wanted them back and i felt it made sense to involve the Adnams people in this.

My players came into the city at night and they had an encounter with the Adnams people.

After that they wanted to flee the city and nothing i did ingame could convince them to not do that because then we wouldn't have an adventure.

In the end i had to sit down with them out of character and we had a really stupid and awkward talk about how what they're planning isnt going to be fun for everyone involved

Any way i could have avoided that?

Tl;dr: Retard GM forgets the players can leave the town he built
>>
>>52096155
Probs should have had them enter in the day so that they could see it was safe, and possibly see the actual transition from day to night.

Without changing the scenario I would have to ask if they switch between normal/chasing the PCs was supernatural or not, because if it was supernatural you could have had them begin to act in agression, but then daylight hits and they suddenly act completely normal and have no recollection of the party.
>>
>>52096155
Could you have had some of the crazy people pursue them to wherever they flee?
>>
>>52096782
I probably could have but in my mind it felt unnatural.
I started the scenario with Nyatholep kidnapping someone they love and burning down the place they worked at so they had to go

Doing that one more time felt like overkill to me
>>52096757
Ya having them enter during the day would have been a smart thing.

Problem is they went to the police station in the nearest town and went to town with the unsuspecting officer there and he wanted to see them in an asylum in the end

And yea thats exactly what i wanted to happen

Normal and nice people during the day and monsters during the night

I even planned transformations but that idea got scrapped real fast
>>
>>52096866
Another idea, All Roads Lead to Rome. The PCs have to rest eventually, and if they don't want to do it in the first town overrun by cultists (which means they probably don't know what is in the town) then just make the second town have a different name but basically be the same place.
>>
>>52097093
Thats actually a genius idea.

Props to you man
It doesn't matter right now because i killed them after the session with a bunch of ghouls and now i'm planning some delta greenish stuff

I'm not gonna have PCs flee there i hope
>>
>>52097143
No probs. The thing to remember that a lot of GMs don't think about is:no matter what you've wrote, the whole thing is made up. As shitty as it sounds, your job is to make it look like your players have choice, not necessarily to give it to them.
>>
You fucked up with the hooks. Should have planned some plot devices that would force them to stay in the city. I always have a list of hooks I can use just in case I have to improvise something.
>>
>>52096155

Call can be weird like that. I always start small and ramp up from there, most mysteries start off with something small like "shit someone is missing" and PCs never have reason to flee before they're already in too deep. I also always remind people when they're rolling their character's should probably be naturally curious sorts to have the motivation to keep investigating this shit.
>>
>>52096155
>planned a 6 page plot

Found the problem. Don't do that brah or you'll keep getting caught with your pants down. Why couldn't some of your plot elements have carried over elsewhere? Why does it have to be tied to such a specific location? You've got to keep things modular when writing for an RP so that you can improvise as a gm.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.