[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 378
Thread images: 30

File: 1487986811955.jpg (5MB, 3256x4660px) Image search: [Google]
1487986811955.jpg
5MB, 3256x4660px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion
Villainish Dandy Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Tell me, /5eg/, what are the best ways to make a villain memorable.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12492204

Here's a question. Why are there so few druid archetypes? Surely there's other variants than the five that they've made so far?
>>
>>52090659
A lot of old school druids would be hard to do in 5th.

Totem Druid in 2e was amazing but a pet druid would overshadow even revised BM unless it lost a lot of its druidness like wildshape.

Oozemaster would be hard to do in the edition that doesn't like stat penalties (they lost a point of charisma every 4-5 levels) unless you made it so they can never take social skills besides intimidate.

I could probably look through 2e's complete druids but iirc a lot of kits do fall squarely under moon or land already.
>>
File: 1489037381502.png (506KB, 614x904px) Image search: [Google]
1489037381502.png
506KB, 614x904px
What is pic related?
>>
File: Aradia2.jpg (913KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Aradia2.jpg
913KB, 1024x768px
>>52090711
When you say should have a different source, you mean other than the mountains? I was imagining it filtering down from different areas in the mountains.

Which long-ass river?
>>
File: wxGE2fr.png (365KB, 945x667px) Image search: [Google]
wxGE2fr.png
365KB, 945x667px
>Over a month straight of nothing but delays for campaign
>And then our Fighter drops
>The fighter was the only reason my Wizard was part of the party in the first place
>I didn't even want to make a (full) caster in the first place
I mean on one hand yay I'm now significantly less obligated to be the designated caster/support but GODDAMMIT CAN I PLEASE STOP HAVING CAMPAIGNS FUCK OFF AND DIE ON ME AFTER TWO SESSIONS
This was only my second campaign too

>>52090778
Zaros is probably a wizard. Honestly, one could argue for a lot of casters with him, really.
>>
>>52090761
I would rule Totem Druid as a Druid Circle where your pet would get better instead of getting an expanded spell list.
>>
I saw someone mention in the last thread about war domain holy archer cleric. What makes this good and how do you effectively build it?
>>
>>52090799
Find a FLGS or just keep hunting on roll20, or DM yourself and find the reason why you would DM.

I DM cause I love dramatic action scenes and custom made monsters. Play one more campaign and look into DMing.
>>
>>52090851
I live in Pasadena TX, there aint shit around here for that. I might be worrying preemptively, but I'm definitely not feeling hopeful right now.
>>
>>52090887
It's all about numbers, if you check enough roll20 games, you will find the jewel. Found a 1-20 game and I have friends I play in other games with.

You'll find it as long as you keep searching
>>
>>52090659
Well, we have...
>Shamanistic druid that draws power from the land he is devoted to protecting.
>Solitary druid that protects nature as a primal guardian that adopts the form of beasts.
>Whimsical druid that draws his power from the fey custodians of nature.
>Feral druid that both protects beasts and draws his power from the beasts he summons and their spirits.
>Grim druid that is devoted to upholding the barrier between life and death and punishing anyone that dares to pervert it.

Circle of the Shepherd is as close as we're ever going to get to a pet druid, so what other Circles could there even be?
>>
>>52090621
Blow up a teapot
>>
>>52090621
Loots the bodies of his minions before the party can.
>>
>>52090621
Steal the PC's stuff.
>>
Our campaign has officially become player vs DM. Our DM two shotted our pally, cleric, and my bard using some weird homebrew creature she pulled from somewhere. She showed one of our players the creature and it was CR 7 against 4 lvl 3 players. This isn't the only case of her trying to destroy us through unfair means. I would normally quit the game but it's currently my only option and my friends want to keep playing despite the setbacks. I don't know what to roll for my new character for maximum survival. If this were 3.5/Pathfinder I would be able to maybe build something to fight back against the DM's shenanigans but I am not as familiar with 5e since we just started playing. Can anyone help with build suggestions? I realize that no matter what I bring the DM can just cast magic instakill rocks but I at least want something that will give me a fighting chance.
>>
>>52090956
What would a Druid who works against the far realm be like? An astral protector blah blah blah.
>>
I'm having a retard moment - what are some creatures renown for their hording that are not dragons?
>>
>>52091139
The best build I can think of for this situation is talking with the DM and airing your grievances in a polite manner.
>>
>>52091139

I'm sorry but you're fucked. No amount of build optimization will fight off a shitty adversarial DM
>>
>>52091163
I wish that were an option. Our pally talked to her after the session and she blew him off and told us to basically "git gud"

I just want to have fun with my buddies. Why is this hobby full of so much suffering?
>>
>>52091148
That's pretty much every druid already. But if you're talking about a specialization, it would probably be something like an Abjuration Wizard with abilities designed to protect allies from spells and mental intrusions.
>>
Repostain

>Trickery has charm person, disguise self, mirror image, pass without trace, blink, dispel magic, dimension door, polymorph, dominate person (Shouldn't this be monster?), modify memory

>A good bard/sorcerer/wizard/artificer spell (disguise self)
>A good bard/druid/sorcerer/warlock/wizard spell (charm person)
>A good druid/ranger spell (pass without trace)
>A good sorcerer/warlock/wizard spell (mirror image)
>A good sorcerer/wizard/artificer spell (blink)
>A good bard/CLERIC/druid/paladin/sorcerer/warlock/wizard spell (dispel magic)
>A good bard/sorcerer/warlock/wizard spell (Dimension door)
>A good bard/druid/sorcerer/wizard spell (polymorph)
>A good bard/wizard spell (modify memory)
>A good warlock/sorcerer/bard spell (Hold monster)

Only one spell is a cleric spell. Two aren't even wizard spells.
In any case, trickster seems a good choice if you don't have a wizard. That's a lot of great utility to have always prepared.

Trickery was secretly great all along.
>>
>>52091139
She is making the mistake of throwing 1 enemy at you at a time, so you beat it by action economy. Battlemaster fighter, sentinel, inspiring leader, wolf barbarian for maximum hits, and GWM for extreme damage.

You need to all be attacking on not your turn, with reactions and commander strikes, and throw a paladin smiting in there for extra. I DM and if you have a party with a number or damage dealers they can do an insane amount of damage. But just remember if you kill a CR 7 she will throw a CR 8 at you guys.
>>
>>52091139
I've had a similar problem except our DM isn't actively trying to kill us so much as she is chucking random monsters in the mix in places we're likely to bump into them.

Nuclear Druid is the way forward if you want maximum overkill, and if you're allowed UA. Otherwise, Halfling Lucky Diviner will give you maximum "fuck you" points.
>>
>>52091218
What is the Nuclear Druid? Sorry, I'm late to the party on 5e
>>
New DM here. Been learning 5e so I could play with some friends. Started running 3 of them through Storm King's Thunder at first level and it didn't go well. They managed to upset some worgs and goblins, shortly followed by a group wipe. Did I mess up somewhere? How should I go about continuing at this point?
>>
>>52091139
Certainly one of the players can DM instead. Shitstain can either play or get dropped like a bad habit.
>>
>>52091148

My friend played his like a medieval fantasy MIB agent, always listening to the crazies and conspiracy theorists
>>
>>52091240
A mistake.

Unearthed Arcana multiclassing to pump out like over a thousand damage in a turn. It's meant for theory crafting and that alone, but dire situations like shit DMs may call for it and it's more legit cousin, the halfling lucky diviner.
>>
>>52091240
It's a combination of classes and abilities that allows the character to cast Magic Missile twice in the same round for an average of over 1500 unavoidable force damage.
>>
>>52091241
What happened? Upsetting worgs and goblins is like a trademark for adventurers.
>>
>>52091241
The early levels are actually really rough. Somehow this edition is very friendly to newcomers and it absolutely demolishes low level characters. Just keep at it!
>>
>>52091218
>Halfling Lucky Diviner will give you maximum "fuck you" points.

If you can, fit in Bard with College of Lore for Cutting Words
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 500x373px
>>52090778
Do you mean the art? Or the actual character? Because the art works fine for any kind of warlock DESU, the character himself is an actual god (or at least Warlock PATRON tier) up to and including granting his own unique magic to followers.

Also edgelord/10. Was noice to see Jas cockblock that whiny bitch at the final quest.
>>
>>52091290
They entered the temple and managed to beat two goblins ringing a bell. After that they decided to deal with the two worgs in the square. But three goblins in the area heard the commotion and went to check it out. They decided to hole up in the church and use the front door as a choke point. Upon one goblin entering and immediately dying, the other two were cautious to enter. Since I assumed the worgs were too big to enter, the goblins had an idea to smash the stained glass windows to let them in.
>>
>>52091139
Have everybody play halflings (or variant human) with 2 levels of wizard, each with the lucky feat and each being a divination wizard. Then, they all put the rest of their levels in twilight druid and nuke the fuck out of everything with magic missiles.

Or, lore bard, moon druid (very good at those levels), lore wizard (one mile hold person as a strength save that autofails since they're paralyzed), some sort of a kiting build (there's fucktonnes of these, fighter sorlock is an idea if you want to spam tonnes of blasts and repel everything, but you should at least be level 5 before you try that)...
Could also try a party of 1 wolf barbarian and 3 PAM oathbreaker paladins. Walk up to what you want to kill, burst it over the moon and then go nap.
>>
So What are the disadvantages of a Elan in lore?
Besides being slightly creepy and being considered a abberation by spells.
>>
>>52091355
The problem was the party size, three is two small, so you should in the future note that they are a little weaker then the adventure thinks they are. Maybe making it one worg, or having the other work be somewhere else, will make it easier. After a few sessions you will know what they can do and fine tune their enemies.
>>
>>52091241
>>52091355
If they were level 1, they did pretty well considering it was 3 versus 2+5.
>>
>>52091139
Are you the Oil Baron?
>>
>>52091410
Wasn't sure how they would do myself so I'll try to adjust next time.
>>
>>52091439
What
>>
>>52091240
1 level Arcana Cleric for Magic Missile, rest in Twilight Druid (because harvest dice affect every single magic missile, not just per-target), if I remember correctly. Well, 2 in Fighter for Action Surge, but salt to taste.
>>
>>52091526
Nevermind. It's a guy who posts every now and then about his terrible female DM.
>>
>>52091439
Ha, Oil Baron over here, pal. I'm also >>52091218
>>
>>52091370
You could probably do something with the whole invasion of the stepford body snatchers secret society you are assumed to have willingly joined.
>>
>>52091554
How ya doing senpai?
Got some more stories for us?
>>
File: 1403287221811.png (342KB, 394x394px) Image search: [Google]
1403287221811.png
342KB, 394x394px
>>52091139
Sometimes the only winning move is not to play. In this case, since you actually want to continue playing, quit in another way. You and all your friends should build characters that are literally just shopkeeper NPCs. Refuse to go out of town, only focus on your own inventions.

Alternatively, you could all choose to play rogues or other dick ass characters who refuse to fight anything and just proceed to run.

Has anyone noticed the worst DMs that keep getting brought up in the general are actually girls/women?
>>
>>52091569
how are they bod snatchers? I honestly dont know much about elans but I thought they just transformed a human into a elan
>>
>Has anyone noticed the worst DMs that keep getting brought up in the general are actually girls/women?

Well that's not entirely fair. Her older sister was our old DM and did an amazing job. Unfortunately her little sister who was a player took over as our current DM when the older one went to study abroad. It's probably the fault of the rest of us for not throwing our hats in to DM.
>>
I need a second opinion. Pally oathbreaker at level 11, stats 20,12,16,10,14,18. Got resilience (con) and polearm mastery. Should I get char to +5, or get con to +4 so I can finally sate my autism and stop risking rolling to get 10 or higher every level (I feel my luck might be running out)?

Also, what's anyone's opinion on oath of Treachery? Utility and front-line fighting wise?
>>
>>52091595
Were you here for my last bundle? My games are on Saturdays so I tend to post around the start of the week.

We had:
>barbarian loitered in front of a no loitering sign in Menzoberranzan so a cannonball fell from the sky on him
>tiefling rogue passed a perception check and spotted an enemy, kept an eye on them while talking to someone else, but the enemy had advantage on attack because "rogue was distracted" - and was permanently scarred because of the acid attack that resulted (and downed in one hit by high damage)
>had to argue that Sentinel actually did allow the Barbarbian to Opportunity attack on the rogue's attacker because DM didn't believe it was a real thing
>we consult priestess of Lolth for divination and while we're talking to her she steals gold out of my pockets somehow because apparently only I can pass a check to see her doing it despite the whole party being there (she stole over 1000gp because she didn't roll lower than my Dex of 17 at any point over 5 thefts... and for some reason Dex was my DC for her thefts. All this because the DM didn't want me to have enough money for my explosive barrels)
>uncommon item - ring of mind shield - costs over 10,000gp

Think that's everything. Also surface elves don't get harassed at all in Menzoberranzan but my drow guy got attacked by his family guards and is being hunted for tax evasion, again because the DM doesn't want me getting money for explosives.
>>
>>52091655
I'd just say women are generally not as good at tactical games.

Preparing a tactically balanced and overall actually fair and sensible set of encounters and world would relate to that, and not realizing things like how numbers and monster abilities can make something unlike what simple encounter building knowledge would say is fine is...

However, I have the feeling women might be better at improvizing, perhaps.
>>
>>52091748
Apologies for run-on sentences, it's the end of the working day and I write for a living, my mind is drained.
>>
>have a group of 5
>2 of them are a couple
>they played characters who were initially strangers at the start of the campaign
>eventually became romantically interested in one another
>are now a couple 3-4 months into the campaign
>group now express they wanna make 2nd characters cause they feel they might die as the campaign gets more deadly
>we have a session where we make characters
>the couple are making characters
>the guy wants his 2nd character to be bf to his gf's 2nd characterright away
>i tell him sure but I suggest that he can do something more cause they're already RPing as a couple with their current characters
>guy says he realizes that he feels uncomfortable when his gf's current character interacts with NPCs that show a hint of interest in her character esp since her gf got so invested in this NPC's death who cared for her greatly before dying in her arms
>i tell him it's just roleplay and he shouldn't worry about it
>he gets that "alright..." but with a dismissive tone but still insists that his 2nd character should be the SO of his gf's second character

How should I handle this? I'm not against in their characters being together. It's just the nature of couples, I guess, but it has me worried that he gets uncomfortable when she lets her characters get chummy with NPCs. Might snowball from there badly if not carefully observed (he said something along the lines of "I just wanna play the character who can say "back off" to a bard trying to swindle her to his charms, you know?"). I mean, they're pretty good at RPing and we've all had fun and throughout our sessions, it's some legit good DnD I'm having in years and they've been both playing splendidly just that this one moment really struck me enough to leave me pondering. Am I overthinking it? I wanna sit him down and discuss it but I feel like it might be nothing at all to bother with.
>>
>>52091748
Are you having fun?
>>
DMs, how do you get good at describing shit?

I wanna describe my players how pretty the surroundings of their stronghold is. I've tried to put it into words but I do generic "The grass is greener than you could ever imagine as it stretches to the horizon, the wind rippling the grass as if it were waves on the sea." or when we're in a city, I end up saying "The merchant quarter is bustling with dealers selling their wares, you see stalls scattered around and just peeking through these stalls you see hints of the sign of an anvil that tells of the smithy the city guard told you about."

I feel like I could do better especially when it comes with buildings and room descriptions. I feel like I can't weave good words that'll make them immersed.
>>
>>52091298
Probably want to get a pure Lore Bard going, cutting words and vicious mockery can set the tone for the adventure, but getting magical secrets is the key to pure fuckery. Conjure animals to create 8 cows in the empty space directly above the DM's goons is a great way to send a message.
>>
>Changing dwarves so they get proficiency in any tool of their choice instead of just smithing/brewing/masonry, and stonecunning instead applies to that tool/field instead of rocks
Good idea or no?
>>
>>52091845
Sometimes. The combat is generally entertaining and there is a definitive storyline to follow with some interesting junctures. It is fun when the DM isn't throwing stupid shit at us.
>>
curious, what classes require something innane in them and ones that don't? wizards dont, sorcerors do, not sure about psionics.
>>
File: conan-the-barbarian-12-17-15-2.png (338KB, 585x320px) Image search: [Google]
conan-the-barbarian-12-17-15-2.png
338KB, 585x320px
>>52091886
Read all the original Robert E. Howard stories, in the order that he wrote them (not publication order or chronological order).

By the time you're done, you should be a master of the Purple Prose.
>>
>>52091936
I assume you mean innate? I mean arguably most classes can be fluffed as their abilities innate like a cleric whose magic comes from being a imbued with power by his god from his birth or something.
>>
Does anyone have some good character art of samurai that I could use for my tempest archer cleric?
>>
File: 1452260729410.jpg (102KB, 781x750px) Image search: [Google]
1452260729410.jpg
102KB, 781x750px
>>52092119
>>
>>52091886
Who, what, where, when, why, how. Grass is grass, peasants are peasants, try to highlight details and how they might stand out among all 5 senses, and why that's important. Sounds of industry, smell of an exotic garden, instead of describing generic stuff the mind automatically filters out anyway use those descriptions as breadcrumbs to points of interest. (Then occasionally start leading them into dead ends and traps so they stay on their toes)
>>
File: 1461977557951.jpg (992KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1461977557951.jpg
992KB, 900x900px
>>52092119
Maybe guy on a horse is more your style than horseguy
>>
>>52091916
Maybe try to make peace with your DM over the whole explosives thing? See if you can reach an understanding about your intentions and her punishments.
>>
>>52091832
Get them to play the opposite sex each.
>>
File: Action Dice.pdf (896KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Action Dice.pdf
896KB, 1x1px
I made a thing. Mostly, actually, I just ripped off a thing from Spycraft 1.0, but I still put it together.

Can I get /tg/'s opinion on this? For context, I'm going to be using it for Storm King's Thunder. The idea is that the entirety of STK is going to be a story that the players are telling to a bunch of folk in a tavern, decades after it happened when they're all retired/doing other things and just meeting up in the tavern for old time's sake.

The intent behind including action dice is threefold:

1) I was going to ask (but not mandate, they still can if they want) that my players not roll up full spellcasters - i.e., preferred classes are Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, and arguably Warlock. I think STK works better as relatively "low" magic (insofar as D&D can possibly be low-magic), or more focused on fighty folk taking on giants. This obviously cuts into healing ability, though, so action dice help with that. Can't have a character telling a story suddenly remember that, oh right, they were killed that one time.

2) There's now a solid, mechanical benefit to roleplaying. Bonus action dice/experience will be granted based on things like players describing things story-style.

3) The potential for random-ass plot twists could be really, really fun.
>>
>>52092258
I'm not even trying to get explosives anymore unless the chips fall that way. But we've discovered that it's always better not to tell her what we're planning, because invariably she fucks with us.

We were playing for an extra 4 hours the other day because the barbarian needed 40 more XP to level and she thought it would be funny to only give him 2xp at a t time, no matter what he killed.
>>
>>52092287
.... But that's fucking stupid
>>
>>52092287
How unbearably cunty
>>
>>52092332
Women.
>>
>>52092169
That's pretty good, thanks!
>>
>>52092119
>Archer tempest cleric

What?

Firstly, it's a heavy armour cleric, so probably 15 strength is preferred to dexterity, though I suppose it's not such a big deal losing an AC and having a slightly better dex mod.
Secondly, abilities such as spirit guardians and tempest cleric's level 1 feature and all that are close range.
Thirdly, a crossbow is better.
Fourth, your ranged attacks are much weaker than everyone else's probably is.
Fifth, optimally you'd want crossbow mastery so you can actually have two attacks which means you might actually deal decent damage, but that bonus action might as well be used on spiritual weapon (Which isn't very archery)
Sixth, if you up the stat for hitting with bows, it doesn't help your cleric things (wisdom).
Seventh, aside from extra attack, there are all sorts of things that helps archery like quick quiver (Bards, rangers), archery fighting style (Fighters, rangers), volley (ranger), anything to grant even more attacks (Horde breaker ranger, extra attack 2/3 fighter...)

I would've thought you'd at least be playing a war cleric if you're focusing on archer things. Not saying war cleric is all that super great, though.

Oh, but I assume you just mean they're a cleric and you're just using a bow rather than focusing on bow-mancing.
>>
File: 1487003974815.jpg (19KB, 364x210px) Image search: [Google]
1487003974815.jpg
19KB, 364x210px
>>52092287
If the DM doesn't take their game seriously, why does anyone else?
>>
>>52092413
t. Pathfinder pro
>>
What's your most creative trap that doesn't rely too much on generic "Succeed saving throw or else"? (though fundamentally that's what it is but I need some ideas)
>>
>>52092353
Kill yourself désu
>>
>>52092543
I'm fine with people doing things that aren't exactly the best thing, but when someone does something that makes no sense in the slightest that would work better on a different class without a supporting mechanical gimmick (For example, an archery bard using swift quiver) then it's a bit... Why?
>>
File: slytraps.jpg (137KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
slytraps.jpg
137KB, 760x596px
>>52092568
>>
>>52092568
One thing planned is an illusionary wall that appears to go somewhere nasty you wouldn't want to go, but is actually just in the middle of a corridor.
However, there's a tripwire right behind it, which is obscured by the illusion. Even if you manage to sort of see through the illusion, it helps obscure the tripwire / people might try to jump through and set it off, etc.
The save is against whatever the tripwire triggers.
>>
>>52092285
I like it. DM action dice seem dangerous though. Like it might be easy for players to feel it's unfair, or randomly have abilities/attacks countered "just because"
>>
>>52092675
Speaking of, the tripwire can probably trigger a pit right in front of the tripwire for you to literally trip right into or jump right into.
>>
>>52091156
Crows?
>>
>>52092608
Because to many, doing something fun and flavourful is more important than doing something mechanically effective.
>>
>>52091156
Devils
>>
I always thought the idea that 'character must spend x hours every day to use there abilities' kinda dumb and unrealistic, noone is gonna spend 8 hour staring at a book with unbroken concentration.
>>
>>52091156
Several kinds of birds (crows, magpies, jays, mockingbirds)
Rats and other rodents (hamsters, squirrels)
Dogs
Kender
>>
>>52092747
>noone is gonna spend 8 hour staring at a book with unbroken concentration
They are in my fucking Everquest-based setting. You don't get any mana back unless you're staring at a book.
>>
>>52092721
If you're going to ignore the mechanics, then why not just play GURPS?

It's fine to not play something mechanically effective, but the game system assumes you'll at least TRY to be vaguely effective, such as not running into combat as a gnome holding two greatswords with 8 strength expecting to do anything more than being reduced to headbutting people for 0 damage.

That's a pretty exteme example, but the thing is that if you want to focus on archery then tempest cleric offers almost no synergy. I wouldn't even label them an archer, but simply the fact they have a bow somewhere on their person. Sure, they don't have to use the heavy crossbow which is mechanically superior, because that's only -1 damage, but if they did nothing but use the bow all the time then they really should be some other class.
>>
>>52092767
I mean realistically like staring at a book for 8 hours, like what are the rules? are a few stray thoughts allowed or does one have to hand a mind of steel to even start spellcasting, are they allowed to do things ect.
>>
Why is Bard the best class in 5e?
>>
>>52092679
That's why the DM only gets action dice beyond his or her starting amount by rewarding players with action dice themselves. Note as well that at most a DM can start a session with 6+players action dice (say, 10, for a 4-person group), whereas players collectively start with at minimum 3xplayers dice (say, 12, for the same). Players will collectively always have more action dice than the DM, unless they're spending them like crazy.

However, I will admit that the system it's from, Spycraft 1.0, really IS intended to be Players VS GM, at least more so than most d20 games. It's designed to accommodate that quite well with its Mastermind system (basically while the players are building Ethan Hunt or James Bond or - let's be honest with ourselves - Austin Powers, the DM is building S.P.E.C.T.R.E. or Hydra or - again, if we're being honest with ourselves - The Foot Clan).

There is a bit of confrontation inherent in the system, basically, so I'd only recommend it for players and DMs who know each other well and know that neither is out to get the other.
>>
>>52092803
>does one have to hand a mind of steel to even start spellcasting
I should fucking hope so given the amazing cosmic power they wield.
>>
>>52092767
God, that takes me back. Spent many an hour staring at that fucking book.
>>
>>52092786
>If you're going to ignore the mechanics, then why not just play GURPS?
It's not about ignoring mechanics, it's about not doing what's optimal, mechanically, for flavour reasons.
>>52092786
>It's fine to not play something mechanically effective, but the game system assumes you'll at least TRY to be vaguely effective
Unless of course you're doing some retarded build like 8 str gnome with dual greatswords that RAW doesnt even work, your build will probably be effective.
>>
>>52092827
>>52092818
This is the problem with casters today. No fucking dedication. They don't want spells that take multiple rounds to cast, require arcane geometries to be drawn in the air or on the ground, long-ass invocations of powerful words that sound like a chuuni poem, or even a bare minimum of Intelligence or whatever other casting stat they have in order to drop meteors on the world.

They just want to snap their fingers, if that, and obliterate entire armies. That's not power, that's being a shitty Mary Sue. It's fucking disgraceful.
>>
>>52092839
A pure cleric can get away with it easily because if it's a matter of choosing a weapon, the only thing that really matters in that case is how often they use a weapon instead of their spells and abilities. In which case, they can actually become much less effective. But it's not like they'll build wrong, so if they find it to be a problem they can always start using those abilities.

If it's a matter of, say, playing a monk, it's entirely possible to make a build that doesn't seem retarded but is, considering how monks are actually squisher than most people expect without good stats.
>>
File: tumblr_omhthcw3zo1sknj7ho1_1280.jpg (483KB, 887x1319px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omhthcw3zo1sknj7ho1_1280.jpg
483KB, 887x1319px
Okay fellas, I have a quandary.
I'm playing an artificer, Alchemist specifically.
My DM is allowing me to make a piece of equipment that adds to my formulae damage and range.
Thing is, its basically a gun.

My character is a total flowery asshole who loves naming shit, but for the life of me I cannot come up with a name for this stupid thing, something befitting a signature weapon.

Could I possibly get some cool ideas?
>>
>>52092882
https://youtu.be/XDfjXaltHI4?t=11
This is what the world of wizards needs.
>guard my dumb ass for four rounds so I can end this shit
>power comes at a price
>>
>>52092906
sweet art, anon. know the artist source?
>>
>>52092747
Have you never read a good book?
Seriously though, it's 8 hours of rest. Staring at a book is (at most) 2 hours of it, because 6 must be sleep.
>>
>>52092906
Gun of DM Not Understanding Game Balance

>>52092882
I miss the days where preparing a spell took 10 minutes per spell level. High level wizards NEEDED a week of downtime between adventures.
>>
>>52092914
Artist tumblr is called Creamylewds.
>>
>>52092786
Not optimizing=/=ignoring mechanics.

Alternatively if you want to obsess about mechanical efficiency, then why not just play Pathfinder?
>>
>>52091156
Refluff a Roc as a giant magpie that hoards things.
>>
>>52092947
'Doing something fun and flavourful is more important than doing something mechanically effective' can definitely be taken to mean 'ignoring mechanics' on a character whose identity is one who uses X but has almost nothing to support their ability to do X aside from getting a potential +1d8 at two high levels.

You know what's better than doing something fun and flavourful? Something that's fun, flavourful AND actually works within the system. Like, an archer bard.

But again, it's entirely feasible to use a bow on a cleric. It just won't be an important part of the character's role at all.
>>
>>52092608
It's ok to be a cleric who uses a bow for their weapon. You don't have to be "the best character that ever used this weapon" about it. Everyone should have a bow, in case of ranged combat, anyway.
>>
>>52092943
Exactly. Your Wizard was an old dude with years of intense study under his belt. He wore a fucking robe. He carried a stick.

Now it's all young 20-somethings, maybe even teens, wearing normal-ass clothes who were all self-taught or took Magic Class at the local academy if their parents were rich enough. They don't have an elderly mentor, they never put in long hours of grueling study to master forces beyond mortal comprehension. They picked that shit up like it was becoming a Subway Sandwich Artist; six hours of on-the-job training and a few instructional videos.

Get that shit out of here.
New rule: you can't be a Wizard unless you're over 30. Your maximum spell level is capped by your age, with every circle beyond the 1st requiring an extra five years of time. You hope to cast 9th circle shit before the campaign is over? Hope you rolled up a 70yo man.
>>
>>52092747
When I first got my smartphone, for the next 6+ months, I spend all my waking hours on the weekends reading when I wasn't eating.
>>
>>52092434
Most of us are first time players, so it takes a few sessions to realise it's not normal.

Or maybe they're like me, and they realised but don't have any better options, and are riding it out because dropping out means poisoning the local 5e well.
>>
>>52092751
>squirrels
They're so good at this, they got it named after them. Of course, squirrel hoards tend to be scattered into several different hiding spots.
>>
>>52093016
Quick, no one tell this Anon about libraries.
>>
>>52093011
Some characters are better with javelins and such.

It's not bad to be a cleric with a bow, it's just bad to be a cleric that focuses on using bows.
>>
>>52093043
If I could easily hold a book and flip pages one handed while laying down, I probably would have bothered to do reading assignments back in school.
>>
>>52093060
a) what are you using your other hand for
b) how can you NOT hold a book and flip pages with one hand while laying down?
>>
>>52092804
It isn't, the best class is warlock
>>
>>52093060
Take a good look, /5eg/. This is the kind of guy who plays Wizards in your game, and he RPs himself. This is the guy who can cast Wish and Simulacrum and True Polymorph and Dimension Door and Abi Dhazim's Horrid Wilting, Mr. "I Didn't Read Books In School". Look at him and weep.
>>
>>52093171
I mean, this can situationally be true, especially if you want a full party of class X, because warlock has synergy with other warlocks.

But in terms of flavour, artificers are clearly the best because SCIENCE.
>>
>>52092413
I just had a character concept in mind that I wanted to RP so i grabbed what I thought would best represent it. I don't really care about being mechanically sound.
>>
>>52090621
Why is Polearm Master better or worse than Great Weapon Master?
>>
>>52093238
PAM
>Gauranteed bonus attack
>Fairly reliable reaction attack

GWM
>Situational damage increase, synergizes with lots of attacks that deal less damage
>Unreliable bonus attack

Basically, PAM+GWM is better unless you buff your damage a lot through other means, in which case just PAM. Unless you already need bonuses/reactions and have a very high hit chance, in which case GWM.

However, PAM by itself is generally more useful because +1.5 attacks per round, even at level 1.
>>
>>52091832
Come on, don't be an asshole. Just stop making bards swindle her in their arms. Wtf, why does anyone even have to tell you this?
>>
>>52091832
Don't have NPCs hit on the girlfriend?
>>
>>52093226
>Flavor
>Anything better than warlock
It's okay to be wrong, I suppose
>>
>>52091832
>>52092259
Best solution. They get to keep playing a couple but there's an interesting RP twist.

>>52093236
Ignore the haters. This argument isn't even worth having. Play what you want and if you have questions only pay attention to people answering them.
>>
What if we took the bonus action attack off PAM and made it into its own feat that you could use with any two-handed weapon?
>>
>>52093287

Her character is described as a noble and lady-like so I thought it was normal for a bard to try to write a sonnet for her. That and it's only like three instances (more below), with the third being where the bf started getting uncomfortable.

>>52093308

It's only three instances where I let the NPC hit on her character. First was the bard who was a known womanizer in town , the second was when they visited a brothel and one of the prostitue men was making eye contact with her and the third one where she got invested on this dying NPC in her arms cause she was endeared by the sad story. NPC had no interest in her character (he's a widower) and it was more of her taking the approach.

These are spaced out so it didn't feel frequent to me. It's not like I was actively throwing NPCs on her. Just threw it in if the situation was appropriate.

Don't get me wrong, if he's feeling uncomfortable I'm willing to stop it cause he's a cool dude and I want my table to be happy it just felt so sudden when he pointed it out at the time. Pardon if I came off as reactionary.
>>
>>52093014
I'm okay with the wizard starting age being in the 20s if the starting spells are pared down to about half.

For one, early to mid 20s was the age at graduation from medieval universities, which imo covers low level wizards and it made absolutely no sense to me that all a level 1 wizard had to show for 16 years of study was fucking sleep or, god forbid, shield.

I am, however, fond of slow memorization times as they solve a lot of the batman wizard problems. Try to be ready for every situation when it takes almost an hour to memorize fly.
>>
>>52093458
Sure, I get it. But from what you said he doesnt look like a guy who does well with women. And maybe he worries that his gf may someday tire of him and leave him for a Chad. No reason to touch that subject if thats the case.
>>
>>52093458
Just be honest with us. Do you wanna bang this guy's girlfriend?
>>
>>52093458
>>52093594
This. Do you?
>>
>>52091748
This is just so absurd I can't even
I wish I was in your table
>>
What's the best mapping tool for cities? i.e. inside the city rather than like >>52090794
>>
File: crackedpaint.jpg (64KB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
crackedpaint.jpg
64KB, 400x263px
>>52093649
Go to a local kindergarten.
Take some of their really thick finger paint.
Lay it on heavy on a piece of construction paper in the vague outline of your city and fill the middle.
Leave it to bake in the hot sun for a day.
Remove flakes as needed.
Take photo, upload to computer.
Label streets and buildings.
>>
>>52093649
google cracked dry mud
>>
>>52093336
>>52091832
The point isn't that they have a twist to their roleplaying to keep the 'couple' thing fresh, really.

The point is that if their girlfriend plays a guy and they're playing a girl, then suddenly they might not feel as awkward when their girlfriend's character gets seduced because that character is definitely, clearly not their girlfriend unless the guy suddenly decided he likes cock.

Also drives them to have a reason to not feel the need to be a couple in-game, though they can still do it.
>>
>>52093749
The real point is no one needs to be seduced at a D&D table period so let's just not do that shit to begin with instead of contriving situations where it might theoretically happen less or be construed more harmlessly.
>>
>>52093700
>>52093734
I was more thinking something more structured. I already know the rough layout of it in my head, looking for a good way to make that attractive like in inkarnate, rather than randomise it.
>>
>>52093749

Yeah that is the best case to tackle it.

>>52093594
>>52093644

Nah, nothing like that. I mean, I do the same for the male PCs like when they visited the city's brothel so it's not like she's alone in it when I have to make NPCs show interest to the PCs. That and they're far too in between to be frequent. However I do appreciate how engrossed she is with the NPCs the party meets. She's the kind who always asks about the NPC's backstories and I'm willing to weave a few when she does. I might have to tone that down if it's one of the things that bothers the bf, though.
>>
>>52093761
This is our roundabout way of telling you that there are no good city mappers. You draw that shit freehand on paper, in Paint, in GIMP, whatever, or you deal with not having a city map.
>>
>>52093774
But hey, tell us more. Did she seem interested when the NPCs hit on her?
>>
>>52093761
fantasynamegenerators has a town creator which might be in the ballpark of what you're looking for.
>>
>>52092906
A brass wildebeest head that shoots lightning and stuff out of its open mouth. Call it the G.N.U.
>>
>>52093800
>>52093775
Thanks folks. I once did one with a knitting pattern grid, but that was a long time ago and I was hoping for something prettier.
>>
I need a good evil sounding plant-based title for a character who's turning evil.

He used to be called "the mightiest oak", but now that he's a bad guy I figured a new turn of phrase would help make the change more impactful. All I've been able to come up with is "the unending vines" but I'm not too sure about how much I like it.
>>
>>52093875
Well, an evil plant puts me in mind of swamps - grim, gloomy, misty, all humid and sticky, and dark.

And you want a plant that is by its very nature disliked, unwanted. Something that grows up between the cracks of ordered and pleasant things, tearing through the slits in the patio and gradually ruining it.

So I'm thinking, call him the Dank Weed.
>>
>>52093458
wait so did you actually write a sonnet for this character?
>>
>>52093970
Memes aside, calling him a weed doesn't really reflect his character a whole lot.

He's less of a sniveling rat and more a brute thinking his friends are holding him back.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (12KB, 198x255px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
12KB, 198x255px
How is the Tome of Beasts from Kobold Press? I have the opportunity to buy one for $26,, but I won't bother if the monsters are shitty.
>>
>>52093875
The Malicious Mahogany
The Wailing Willow
The Ominous Oak
The Chaotic Cedar
The Shadowy Spruce
The Terror Teak
The Insidious Ironwood
The Grieving Guanandi
>>
>>52093792

If going by the three instances I mentioned:

The bard, she just humored him and let him sing his song about her. Eventually his good mood for singing a song to her had him reveal more info on the city's happenings which led to the trouble of the local gang.

The second one was in a brothel visit some sessions in. Brothel was being suspected for a front for the said gang. I described how one of the prostitute men was eyeing her when the madam was offering them to the party and the gf's char responded by intimidating the madam about whether she knew of the gang's whereabouts. Ended up scaring the prostitutes and the clients.

Third was a widower retired adventurer NPC who lost his wife to the gang violence in the area. She got invested on this guy and convinced him to go along with their hunt. She also started prodding him for more of his story which I added to it as the adventure went. He was also one of the many NPC characters the players can recruit to take on the gang (kinda like how Storm King's Thunder had those controllable NPCs in chapter 2) and she wanted his. During the big fight in the gang's main base the NPC died during combat which led to the dramatic scene of him dying in her arms.

That's all there is to it. Though the third wasn't an NPC hitting on her since she was more on the active side of it but considering it was the moment that the bf said he was uncomfortable with that, I might as well note it.

>>52093981

No, just described how the bard started singing a sonnet for her and gave a her a copy of the sonnet a little later as a token of gratitude.
>>
>>52093875
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nightmare_Court

Take some inspiration from that. Focus on thorns, vines, briar, nettles, choking, suffocating, restricting, binding, poisoning, undergrowth, swarming, etc. The Choking Vine, the Bristling Briar, the Rotten Oak, etc.
>>
>>52094029
just google tome of beasts pdf and check it out yourself
>>
>>52094317
its in the trove
>>
>>52093238

GWM is there too put out raw damage and since ACs are usually pretty low across the MM the hit penalty is not a big deal. A single feat investment gives a lot of reward and lets you use other ASI/Feats like Resilient Alert or just pumping your main stat

PAM is more consistent and better against the occasional high AC enemy. If your grabbing it at all though in the long run you want GWM+Sentinel to be the king of melee. Its feat intensive but putting out triple digit damage is fun even if you gotta play for the next year to get there
>>
>>52093875
The Manchineel.

Manchineel trees are otherwise known as Death Trees, because every single part of them is agonizingly toxic to humans. Simple contact with the tree can cause excruciating blisters all over the body. Eating the fruit, which look deceptively similar to apples, causes both painful allergic shock and internal hemorrhage.
>>
>>52093875
Marijuana
>>
>>52093875
Strangler Fig.
If you want simplicity go for Poison Oak.
>>
>>52093759
Lovers can get jealous over the smallest things.
>>
>>52094617
Roll to save against wanting to bone me.
>>
How does one build a nuclear Druid?
>>
File: Map.jpg (1013KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
1013KB, 1024x768px
What do you guys think of my attempt to use Inkarnate as a city mapper? It's not perfect by any means, but I meant it as a representation rather than a 1:1 build.

It's also not the full city, rather it's the bit where anything interesting might happen. PCs can go to the other parts, but it would be description based, and it would be all slums or basic shops.

Currently trying to think of other things worth adding in the empty spaces.

>>52094689
Arcana Cleric 1 for Magic Missile, Twilight Druid 17 for Harvest Dice, Fighter 2 for Action Surge, off the top of my head. There are variants. Don't need the Fighter if you want to go Mini-Nuke.
>>
>>52092804
d8 HP die, jack of all trades, proficiencies, expertise , learn any spell from any list and is a full caster...
>>
how exactly does the aarakocra's talon thing work

is it separate from doing an unarmed strike, or does it add 1d4 slashing to my unarmed strikes?
>>
>>52094650
I failed.

But, fortunately, even if I want something I have the ability to resist temptation or else I'd be really, really fat right now.
>>
I am DMing for a couple of new players. They enjoy the game and they say they like to roleplay. But most of the game seems pretty mechanical. When I give them opportunity they don't RP much but when they do it is always pretty enjoyable for everyone.
What do I do to make them feel more comfortable role-playing? They have never see someone properly role-playing since they are all new (including me, but I watch videos and shit)
>>
>>52094833
It is a separate thing
>>
>>52094833
It replaces your unarmed strike's normal 1+STR damage with 1d4+STR damage
>>
>>52094893

Do lots of RP'ing yourself as the DM. Silly voices and all that. Hand out inspiration to those who get into the groove and RP to get the ball rolling.
>>
>>52094716
It's definitely something you'd keep behind the GM screen.
>>
>>52094716
It looks like it could work. The issue I have with your map is that there's waaaaaay too much empty space for a city. Space was at a premium in most medieval cities what on account of people wanting to be inside the walls. Only main thoroughfares and squares should be wide/open.
>>
>>52094833
It changes the damage of your unarmed strikes from 1 + Str mod Bludgeoning to 1d4 + Str mod Slashing.
>>
>>52094893
Did they fill in their traits, bonds, ideals, and flaws? It's very common that players fill that shit out but never mention it at the table, so the DM never rewards inspiration or even knows what the PCs' traits are. Give them really obvious opportunities to act in-character and get a little reward for it.
>>
>>52095108
man everyone forgets that shit. just gimme skills
>>
>>52095252
>Everyone forgets an opportunity to get at least one free advantage on any roll of their choice once per session.
Their fault.
>>
>>52095288
What if you change your mind about your character after you've played it a bit and your old shit dont make sense
>>
I missed any discussion related to Hexblade when it came out. Are there any good builds with it or build guides I can refer to?
>>
>>52094999
Like I said, I'm looking for stuff to put into the open spaces. It's a WIP.

>>52094967
Mean. It's not like there are nicer options out there, and it conveys the right point, no?
>>
>>52095323
Then you talk it out with the DM and change your traits, bonds, ideals and flaws as your character evolves, with their permission.

Duh?
>>
>>52095342
Wow that sounds like effort for something that nobody remembers.
>>
>>52095355
>Forgetting an opportunity to get free advantage on rolls whenever you play to your traits, bonds, ideals and flaws.
Your fault.
>>
I'm looking to build a character who is a professor/researcher type who studies something extremely mundane (probably geology). What class should I use? I was thinking wizard(diviner) for high int so I can do investigations, but I'm open to any ideas.
>>
File: FFCC.jpg (153KB, 796x1009px) Image search: [Google]
FFCC.jpg
153KB, 796x1009px
How would you run a game a la Crystal Chronicles, where the world has been overrun by monsters and civilizations are few and far between?
>>
>>52095404
You mean like 4e? Like 4e.
>>
>>52093749
That's a great point, actually; it can help with insecurities. I'll jot that down for future use when I DM for couples.

>>52093759
Some people like their D&D games to feature sex. There is nothing wrong with that inherently, if you can address any issues it might cause (and as long as everyone is comfortable with it). You don't like it, don't do it.
>>
>>52094837
>t. fa/tg/uy
It's okay, anon. We're all fat here.

>>52095404
We ran an actual Crystal Chronicles campaign once. Like, with miasma and trees and chalices and shit. Was pretty interesting.
>>
>>52095108
They fill those. I even helped one in doing it because he didn't know what to write. But they don't use those traits at all. There is one that "collects" weapons but he never tried to have more than what he already has unless it is more powerful. Fuck, he even forgot his character back story about him being wrongly blamed of his cousin's murder. I plan to introduce the real killer in a few sessions and make him a big baddy...
Then there is the elven rogue. An investigator (kind of a detective, but he doesn't get paid, he does it because he is neutral good) that is investigating a conspiracy in the royal family. He RP some more and better and I secretly plan to make that royal family the (morally ambiguous) big bads of the story.
>>
>>52095376
>all these people trying to make Wizards as academics
Mastermind Rogue with a scholarly background. Your expertise is your field of study.

What the fuck does divination even provide for a geologist besides an overpowered mechanic?
>>
>>52094029
Just download the book from the mega trove, take a look, find out if you like it before buying it.
>>
>>52095376
Probably wizard. Depending in backstory he can be a ranger, a barbarian or an artificer.
>>
https://dnd.wizards.com/poll/phylacteries
Also, if you haven't seen it, https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/TYP_Intro0227.pdf
>>
>>52091203

Good point. I'd also point out that the illusions let you deliver Contagion and Harm safely.
>>
>>52091528
>(because harvest dice affect every single magic missile, not just per-target)

Keep in mind that this is strictly a houserule, and if the campaign is of a DM vs player mentality, they are unlikely to houserule in your flavor.
>>
>>52091690
Reminds me of how in my 5e group, someone mentioned their (female) DM was bragging to the players about how she's bringing in a male friend to kill everyone's PCs, that he will have a ring that allows him to stay invisible to attack with, and all sorts of extremely deadly poisons, all because her PC kill count is too low.
>>
>>52091284
blocked by shield LUL
>>
>>52095810
That's not a houserule, that's how damage for Magic Missile works RAW.
>>
>>52094716
looks cool actually
20x20 scale?
>>
>>52095712
oh fucking great

HURR DURR THE PHYLACTERY IS AN ORPHAN
HURR DURR THE PHYLACTERY IS THE CONCEPT OF FRIENDSHIP
HURR DURR YOU WERE THE PHYLACTERY ALL ALONG
>>
Arcane archer 3
Feybladelock 3
Hunter ranger 5
Rogue assassin 9

Ultimate archer build? Yay or Nay?
>>
File: Map (2).jpg (699KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map (2).jpg
699KB, 1024x768px
>>52094967
>>52094999
Two questions - is it better with or without the grid, and how's it looking (blockiness aside)?

>>52095894
It's hard to say, I haven't got a good head for dimensions. I just had a rough idea of what I wanted it to look like and ran with it.

In theory, 3x3 blocks are comfy-house-sized, 2x1ish are more like a hut or a cart. It doesn't work out perfectly, but I'm hoping it conveys the general concept.
>>
>>52095921
>We’d like to hear your suggestions for strange, unusual or unexpected phylacteries. In 150 words or less, let us know what phylactery—its container and/or hiding place—you would propose. We’ll comb through the list, and present some of our favorites in a future issue of Dragon+.
They're not actually basing anything in the book off this.
>>
>>52095945
>They're not actually basing anything in the book off this.
Never said they were.
>>
>>52095833
Nine monsters from the MM, one of which is a variant, are capable of casting Shield. Two NPCs from the MM are capable of casting Shield.

That's a rather small collection of monsters which are capable of rendering themselves immune to Magic Missile. And if you start introducing swarms of creatures that can cast Shield or that have Brooches of Shielding, you're being a passive aggressive shitlord of a DM and you should probably just tell your player not to make such an over-optimized cookie cutter build, rather than wasting your time escalating the campaign into a competition of players vs DM.

>tl;dr
Nuclear Druid shouldn't happen if the DM is remotely sane.
>>
So is there any form of divination spell that would allow the PCs to predict generally when attacks on a town will happen and show up to stop it?
>>
>>52095931
>20th level build
>4 classes
>Needs Dex, Cha, and Wis all at 13+
It's not practical, anon.
>>
>>52095931
When does this shit come online at all?

>AA
Garbage
>>
>>52095931
Quick rundown on what's so great about this?
>>
>>52095986
Divination, 4th level cleric spell.
>Your magic and an offering put you in contact with
>a god or a god's servants. You ask a single question
>concerning a specific goat, event. or activity to occur
>within 7 days. The DM offers a truthful reply. The reply
>might be a short phrase, a cryptic rhyme, or an omen.

Every few days, ask the servants of a god that favors the town about the likely-hood of it being attacked. Try to make sure it's a good and kind god, rather than one that will punish you for incessantly pestering its servants.
>>
File: Bariz - Brick District.png (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Bariz - Brick District.png
2MB, 1600x1200px
>>52093845
I used to set up really basic, quick maps like pic related for campaigns that had 3 things: a general sort of map, some reference pictures to get the "feel" of the place across, and numbered, named locations to serve as hooks.

It was basic but any time someone wondered where the group was, or where they heard something, etc, I could just point to the town map.
>>
>>52096047
Doubly great advice.
>>
>>52096024
It relies on cheesing three different UAs, for one.
>>
>>52095931
Nah. I'd determine your goal
1. AoE Damage
2. Burst Damage
3. Sustained Damage
4. Utility
And then work from there.

Artificer might work for utility once they fucking fix gunsmith.
Sustained damage would probably be something with fighter11 + rogue9, crossbow expert and archery and sharpshooter, though 3 levels of ranger can allow for horde breaker.
AoE dammage is anything that uses sharpshooter+volley from ranger.
Burst is feylock3 + fucktonnes of spell slots from, say, bard? Then pick up swift quiver from bard, too.
>>
File: 1486502203920.jpg (166KB, 498x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1486502203920.jpg
166KB, 498x1493px
WHEN ARE WE GETTING A PHB2? I'M SICK OF ALL THESE FUCKING ADVENTURES

GIVE ME PSIONICS
GIVE ME THE ARTIFICER
GIVE ME MORE SUBCLASSES FOR EVERY CLASS

JUST FUCKING PUBLISH SPLATS AND I'LL BUY THEM
>>
>>52096180
Stop. Get some help.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-09-17-05-13.png (718KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-09-17-05-13.png
718KB, 540x960px
>>52095991
Its possibile with standard array, if you take only a 14 in con with a +1 to cha or wis
Its easily possible if you roll for stats
>>
>>52096180
PHB2 will just have two or three of the most highly rated UA archetypes for each class put on paper, maybe with a few changes to either tone them down or tone them up.

What you're asking for is basically just a compilation of Unearthed Arcana that's made official.
>>
I've been thinking of a Sword and Board Beastmaster. Preferably with my pet dealing the majority of damage.

I stumbled upon the Stirge and think I've figured it out.

When it attacks and latches on it can use 5 feet of movement to hop off. So first attack it hits, then falls off willingly. So my turn comes around and I use the attack action, Stirge uses it's reaction to attack and latches on.

At the start of Stirges next turn can it deal the latched on damage, use movement to hop off and then attack? It doesn't use it's action before that to deal the damage at the beginning.

Also can a tiny creature share my space? I planned to grab sentinel so if anyone attacks him I get to make an attack against them.
>>
>>52095931
Goddamn I wish arcane archers were able to get more magic arrows as they level up or the damage scaled as they leveled up. It starts out so great but drops off so fast due to the fact that you can't keep up the damage.

Sharpshooter is pretty nice though, doing up to +27 damage per hit by level 20. Get crossbow expert and a heavy crossbow and by level 20 you can do up to 520 damage over two turns while still having a +8 to hit with each shot.
>>
>>52091754
>>52091655
Bad GMing is not gender specific.

The worst 2 GMs I've ever had were dudes. One was a lolrandum retard (a were-weasel bites you and then pixies shoot you with amnesia arrows so you don't know you were bit lol!) and the other was obsessed with having his 2cool4u NPCs being a step ahead of us - they were basically invincible and every quest we got ended in them betraying us somehow or other.
>>
>>52090659
>only one other person voted shepherd
;_;
>>
>>52096423
Hey, that was me!

I just love being an animal focused druid and being able to make Conjure Animals even better.
>>
>>52096396
I'm mostly saying that certain aspects of bad DMing are more feminine-typical, but it's only natural guys can do it bad too.

You usually get more guys than girls DMing in the first place, though.
>>
I am going to make a new character for an ongoing game with some friends, but I need help thinking of something fun and not dickish to play.

The thing is that the character has to be apart of the military organization all the other characters are apart of. So far, we got a barbarian, monk, sorcerer, and rogue. Healers are basically worthless in this game, and I don't enjoy playing them.

Got any tips for backgrounds and classes that could work with this?
>>
>>52096507
Bard or wizard
>>
>>52091655
This is very old school bad DMing, the likes of which I mostly heard of being done by dudes during AD&D days.

The cliche killer DM is still mostly dudes with impossible encounters and trap design from hell.
>>
>>52096507

Lore bard. You have a little healing for when people fall unconscious, but otherwise get to be the skillmonkey par excellence as well as debuffing the shit out of enemies.
>>
>>52096507
Soldier, Sailor or Mercenary Veteran are all good backgrounds.

I'm going to go out of the ordinary here, how about Spell-less Ranger? It's UA, but it's pretty damn fun. Think a Martial Ranger.
>>
I like to play things pretty fast and loose in terms of NPC classes and their abilities (every single magic user in the world falls into one of a few strict guidelines? terrible.).

What would be a mechanically balanced replacement for a druid's wild shape?
>>
>>52096507
Play a buff focused lore bard, theme it as a military drummer or trumpeter.
>>
>>52096670
>>52096552
Valor Bard fits in better if the character's a part of a military organization.
>>
>>52096507
Worthless? What shitty homebrew have they made?
>>
>>52096627
>What would be a mechanically balanced replacement for a druid's wild shape?

be a land druid
>>
>>52096627
Straight from the modifying classes UA:
>Wild Shape is used largely for exploration purposes by Circle of the Land druids. For Circle of the Moon druids, Wild Shape offers significant defensive advantages, making such characters very durable.

Since it is a relatively small thing for non-moon druids, replacing it with something that offers similar utility would easily make sense. How about the Ranger's Primeval Awareness? The one from the Revised Ranger UA could work pretty well.
>>
>>52096627
Who cares?

When I made a druid, I simply didn't give them wildshape. Gave a custom spell that turned out to be literally an already existing spell druids get but I was new don't judge and some features, and left it at that.

They don't need to be optimized at all, after all.
>>
>>52096710
Either works. I prefer valor overwhelmingly, but there's nothing even 1% inappropriate about lore bards (which I despise the flavor of and consider them too beardy mechanically), wizards, etc. in military units, its pretty normal for people of noble or academic backgrounds to have a role, especially as officers. Almost no fuckin unit would turn them down
>>
>>52096756
>>52096790
This seems reasonable. I'll probably borrow something from Ranger, or some other minor feature.
>>
Looking for advice from someone with Adventurers League experience.
Trying to get the League going in my town in the literal middle of nowhere. Got a bunch of players ready for a test run. Guys and gals are pretty excited about the whole thing and especially the factions. But here's the problem.

One player wants to pose as a Harper while being Zhentarim. One doesn't want to reveal his faction at all. Is it actually permitted in the League play? Or should they all be explicit about their allegiances?
>>
>>52096720
It's a level 13 game, and a lot of characters have a lot of hp, making most healing spells feel paltry. Additionally, we almost always find ways of taking short rests in between most fights. When playing my last character (a cleric), I found that I didn't cast a single healing spell for a full three sessions with an average of 3-5 combats per session. If it weren't for a two level dip in Paladin, I would have just been a boring buff/debuff machine. Hence, I personally don't feel that healers are all that helpful in the game I play in.

>>52096583
That could make for a nice wilderness man, and maybe I could convince my DM to give me more "archer" related traits as opposed to "wilderness expert" traits.

>>52096670
Hadn't thought of that. Neat idea.

Keep the ideas coming, I am feeling more creative.
>>
>remembering the guy who said 5e is terrible at character concepts for team games
>remembering him saying 5e lacks the mechanics for it
I did not know people could be this severely autistic.
>>
Anyone have some homebrew PDFs they'd like to share? Everything in the Pastebin is old and I need some new reading material.
>>
What's the best way to go about being a healer in 5e? I keep hearing that it's not practical to heal in battle and that the best thing to do is end the fights quick so healing can be done. Is that true?
>>
>>52096934
But he's right. Flanking is gone.
>>
>>52096915
Cleric can do plenty without healing anyway, though.

It's good to have at least one heal on the team in case somebody goes down. But if nobody ever goes down.. Then I guess you're playing one of those super casual campaigns.

There aren't any true healers in 5e. There isn't anybody dedicated to nothing but healing. Anyone who can heal does other things better.

Cleric can just walk up with spiritual guardians, use dodge every turn and essentially put out a fireball's worth of damage every turn, while dodging.
>>
>>52096955
Depending on your taste in cartoons
http://cheezedoodle96.deviantart.com/art/MLP45E-Dungeons-and-Dragons-With-Ponies-490872927
>>
>>52096965
I remember the playtest days when flanking gave advantage, good times. Combat placement actually meant something.
>>
>>52096965
>Flanking
Good riddance.
>>
>>52096965
His wording was way more autismo, and flanking isn't a character concept bro.
>>
>>52096965
>Flanking is gone
It's in the DMG if you really want it.
>>
>>52096965
it still has implied flanking for rogues
>>
File: face 1298646742220.gif (1010KB, 233x226px) Image search: [Google]
face 1298646742220.gif
1010KB, 233x226px
>>52093029
How in the fuck would partaking in this degrading trainwreck of a shitshow be better than anything fun, rewarding and fulfilling you could get into on your own?
Or just play some casual boardgame with the rest of the group, after excising this autism singularity of a GM from it.

Buddy, hearing you all go through all this in your own spare time, and not even getting paid or free drugs, almost makes me think I'm falling for some long-term ruse you've been cooking up?
Noone would continue to court this kind of shit, would they?
>>
>>52096965
No it isn't, you splerg. How the fuck do you think sneak attack works?
>>
>>52095932

The roofs could use some different color/texturing to make them look a little more differentiated.
>>
>>52096915
If you make lots of short rests you might want to try out a Warlock, with a Great Old One patron and pact of the chain. That gives you a lot of utility for spying and scouting.
>>
File: 1484823228617.jpg (39KB, 347x263px) Image search: [Google]
1484823228617.jpg
39KB, 347x263px
>>52096996
>Implying advantage is fair compensation for just standing somewhere
>Implying flanking required any thought other than just standing somewhere and asking your DM if you get flanking for this or that sometimes

Position still means a lot when you consider spells that can affect allies as well as enemies, reaction attacks, trying to stay out of an enemy's move+melee range, etc.

And when it doesn't matter, it just saves time in combat because clearly the combat is turning stale anyway if it turns into nobody having to move.
>>
There is one old school spell I'm missing; chariot of Sustarre. It would really fit on Light Cleric and Druid's lists (it was originally druid only but Light Cleric in some ways does have some of the feel of the old caster druid, namely the raging pyromania)
>>
>>52096965
That's like saying Feats and Multi-classing are gone, It's still an optional rule in the DMG.
Also flanking isn't a character concept.
>>
>>52095931
Have fun sucking for most of the game
>>
>>52097062
I mean, have you ever actually been in a fight with two people? Having to defend two opposite fronts at the same time unquestionably deserves to infer either a defensive penalty or an offensive bonus.

As well, with opportunity attacks having changed the way they did, combat is already a lot more fluid.
>>
File: face hol up.png (304KB, 490x324px) Image search: [Google]
face hol up.png
304KB, 490x324px
>>52096996
We just made flanking +1 to hit. Everything ever done in combat and every move every actor made was to get a flanking going. Getting rid of the advantage has made combat faster, more fluid an the game more fun.
>>
>>52097062
>>52097109
flanking going from +2 to avg +5 is fucking insane

> Having to defend two opposite fronts at the same time unquestionably deserves to infer either a defensive penalty or an offensive bonus.

rogues can sneak attack you now.
additionally, in a fight with two people, you are at a 2:1 action economy disadvantage, virtually guaranteeing your defeat

doesn't need more penalty than that
>>
>>52097109
Yeah, but advantage is way too much of a bonus. At best, flanking should give +1 to hit.
>>
>>52097169
>additionally, in a fight with two people, you are at a 2:1 action economy disadvantage, virtually guaranteeing your defeat
Nigga, our fighter's "plan" is usually just to stand in the middle of the room and let everyone swarm him while we drop AoEs on his head.

No threat.
>>
>>52097109
>>52097169
As said, there are things such as pack tactics, sneak attack, reaction attacks if they do try to run...

It's an absurd +5 to damage.

You can't capitalize on flanking an enemy normally without an ability or actually doing something, and there are MANY ways to help your teammates out. Prone the enemy, use an ability, use the help action.. In fact, using the help action is pretty much making use of flanking, in a way.
The only issue is that normally the help action isn't an awfully useful thing unless you're a wizard trapped in melee with hardly any spell slots or something.

Tiny modifiers like +1 have no place in 5e, really, as it's just more pointless mathematics.

Flanking should be a narrative (If the DM improvizes something in combat, it favours the one with the obvious advantage), the fact action economy gives you twice as many actions, features that actually play off of it, etc.
>>
>>52096965
It's an optional rule, like every other shit that requires a goddamn battlemat.
>>
>>52097169
>>52097229
>>52097272
Do you understand why they changed the combat mechanics to advantage?
>>
>>52097263
Cool but doesn't have anything to do with what I'm talking about since grenade tossing obviously has a bit of an effect on hordes and its the DM's choice to use weak enough creatures that that is viable.
>>
>>52097363
Yep.
>>
>>52097384
It's more like the AC game is really fucking strong until mid to late game and you need something to represent numbers or else you get situations where your tank literally gives no fucks that he's wading into 12 monster.s
>>
How would you go around balancing a class who's abilities recharge like a monster's? You know, "Recharge 5-6"
>>
>>52097363
1. Avoids stacking in a game with bounded accuracy
2. When you get a bonus, you really feel it, other than just a slight increase such as a +1.
3. It's a very easy and simple thing for a DM to just grant or take away.
4. You can have features based on getting advantage.
5. Similarly, you then get an un-advantage which either gives you disadvantage or removes your advantage, which is very simple.
>>
>>52097411
I legitimately don't understand. When you have a kind hearted DM at work that is cooperating with the PCs in making their tactic efficient, why is this bad?

>you need something to represent numbers

how about a 12:1 action economy

>where your tank literally gives no fucks that he's wading into 12 monsters

fighters etc. tend to have serious, serious problems engaging that many foes

The fighter is already at a big enough disadvantage being outnumbered and his only solace being hit by a fireball, if the wizard is an evoker or he has taken steps to protect himself that's a good thing.

its just plain smart tactics that also depends on a lenient and generous DM who is only throwing a narrow band of monsters at the party, ie very weak monsters with no ranged attacks, who also very politely and considerately go for the fighter
>>
>>52097547
He don't give a fuck about the action economy if he's only going to get hit like once or twice a round (maybe). We're level 6 and he's got 21 AC. Sometimes we'll legit just leave him and go do exploring because unless it's a hard or deadly level encounter, he's not in any danger by himself.
>>
>>52097411
>>52097547
>>52097384
>>52097263
>takes TF fighting style
>takes PAM
>takes sentinel

so this... is the power... of action economy...

heh...

not bad...
>>
>>52097623
Your DM never has you fight anything with abilities that force saving throws?
>>
>>52097623
>12 enemies show up
>They shove him prone (Even with high strength, even about two or three kobolds can reliably shove him down unless they have disadvantage for their size, which they should)
>All attacks now have advantage
>With 9 creatures all making one attack, probably expect at least about 4 to hit even against 21 AC

>The creatures could well have ignored the fighter, the fighter only has one reaction attack and clearly is just a walking meatshield

>Enemies don't do things like make you save against paralyze (yetis) or else all attacks against them have advantage AND CRIT
>>
>>52097423
I wouldn't. Recharge is a mechanic meant for monsters and NPCs, which assumes they will only have this 1 encounter per day with the party. Whereas PC classes are balanced around having multiple encounters per day.
>>
>>52097692
Plenty of times. The guy has the big three decent enough to pass regularly and we'll toss him a bless if it's looking bad. We've not had an encounter where literally every enemy forced saves as their only action, which I think would be an actual threat.
>>
>>52097423
Look at alchemists. They get a bunch of at-wills and a bunch of once-a-minute things.

I'd really like to see a recharge class.

Also look at elemental cantrips like shape water.

>>52097736
It's not much different from at-will abilities.
>>
>>52097623

Again, the solution is to not grant free advantage for all groups of 2+, which is fucking moronic in the extreme.

IF it is a problem that one guy who is defensively oriented can tank well (despite monsters having no reason to play ball), then you could use monsters that attack any of the SIX other defenses in the game.

A simple CR 1/2 magma mephit, CR 1 quaggoth thonot or CR 2 lizardfolk could cast Heat Metal on him and leave to inflict 20d8 damage, for example.

invincible PCs are POTENTIALLY a thing but there's nothing even slightly invincible about a high AC dude. the DM is softballing encounters for him.
>>
>>52097729
>monsters
>shove
Monsters are pretty bad at shoving unless they have an attack that includes it. The fighter I'm playing as has literally never failed to resist a shove.
>>
>>52097747
you don't need an entire encounter full of enemy casters, you just need... one... caster to cause problems
>>
File: face spider nigger.jpg (16KB, 360x246px) Image search: [Google]
face spider nigger.jpg
16KB, 360x246px
>>52097363
I've been playing Shadowrun for nearly two decades.
5e has shit-all for rules complexity.

One tiny ass modifier that your kid sister could deal with is a much better rule for flanking than the massive edge advantage was.
>>
>>52097783
>A simple CR 1/2 magma mephit, CR 1 quaggoth thonot or CR 2 lizardfolk could cast Heat Metal on him and leave to inflict 20d8 damage, for example.
Pretty sure heat metal is not an insta-win like that.
>>
>>52097747
>Pass regularly
>Toss a +1d4 AFTER you know they make you make saves

Passing regularly isn't enough when a save can fuck you over big time. You need fighter's 'reroll a save' feature which they only get limited use of at level... 9 was it?

>>52097796
What, how?

A fighter has +STR +proficiency to avoid shoves, normally. At level, say, 8, that might be +8.
A monster might have between +0 and +5 if it isn't already some large creature that gets advantage or whatever.

Now, it doesn't matter if the monster has a +0.
Because it's a contested check.

A contested check is much more unfair to a person with a high modifier than a normal check, because TWO d20s are made, which means one can essentially get +19 over the other by the random element of it, or quite easily a +10, or whatever. I have a chart somewhere for the maths, if I'm remembering and reading his correctly someone with a +1 versus someone with a +5 has a 30% chance of winning a contested check. Someone with a +1 versus a +8? 19.5%.
Hardly ridiculous odds when you have plenty of monsters.
>>
>>52097832
Shadowrun's honestly one of the crunchiest games I know, just because you've got what the awakened are doing, the decker's doing and whatever's going on in the actual world.

I played it a few times and love the setting but the rules never clicked for me.
>>
>>52097842
>Pretty sure heat metal is not an insta-win like that.

It is. My bad, its 22d8. If you can't stop them from getting away, you're fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>52097842
The only way to counter heat metal in this case is to break the caster's concentration (And the caster can just run off giggling afterwards or hide somewhere)
Yes, it's bullshit.

Or to go into water and hope your DM counts that as cooling it off. Or hope your DM provides you with some other way to counter like a homebrewed up 'they can't concentrate on it if they don't even have line of sight' or something.
>>
>>52097862
>Hardly ridiculous odds when you have plenty of monsters.
Those are actually really bad odds. Now, each individual roll (trial, if we're going to be statistics nerds) is less impacted by the modifier, but when extrapolated out over an encounter? Let's say, for some reason, these are highly regimented crack commando monsters that always follow a set routine. All of them will shove until the PC is knocked prone and only then will they attack. Mathematically, they will only break 50% odds after about 8 attempts.

This is a positively ridiculous combat situation and the numbers get worse for the monsters as time goes on.
>>
>>52097832
If you play 5e for complex, mechanical rules and not fast, streamlined gameplay you are literally a fucking retard and there is no helping you.
>>
Was looking to play a Halfling Nightglider but the Giant Owl stats break pretty much all rules for the revised Beastmaster.

Would changing it's hitdice from d10's to d8's, dropping it's size to medium and changing it's attack from 2d6 to 1d8 balance it out?
>>
>>52098033
>>52097862
What if we were to implement a simple houserule like that monsters don't have to fight PCs in order of whoever's toughest first?
>>
>>52098011
>>52097842
Oh, also forgot

>Heat metal on plate armour has no save
>The target has disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls
>The caster only has to use their bonus every round for a minute to ensure this 22d8 no saves allowed plus disadvantage bullshit

>>52098033
Considering it's more likely to be the +20%~30% and across 8 monsters that's EASILY over 50% chance of knocking prone at least once, it'll probably turn into prone+twograpples meaning the fighter cannot get up at all. Then some monsters have other ways to knock prone (Strength saves and such) and many monsters are larger than him which makes it even easier for them to just knock him over.
>>
>>52098011
Or you could take off your armor, break concentration with a ranged weapon, leave the spell's range, etc, etc.
>>
>>52098067
Range of 60 feet on heat metal. Less than most serious ranged weapons.
>>
>>52098068
You can't take off armor in any reasonable time frame.

You don't have to remain within range for the full duration of a spell, only when it is cast.

All you can do is stop them before they get away, and yes, that's how Heat Metal is supposed to roll.
>>
>>52098068
>Take off your armour
How? Plate armour takes easily over a minute to take off. And you have disadvantage on any attacks/ability checks to try taking it off by any other means.

>Break concentration
Not if he hides, teleports away, dashes behind trees so you can't shoot them, etc.

>leave the spell's range
The spell has infinite range after casting.

>>52098082
See above.
It has infinite range.
>>
>>52098068
The spell would have already concluded by the time you removed the armor anyways, it takes 5 minutes or 2.5 with help.
>>
>>52098117
>Not if he hides, teleports away, dashes behind trees so you can't shoot them, etc.
That's nice in kind of a freeform way but in practice, you're almost always going to be able to get to the guy.
>>
>>52097778
Right, so such an ability should recharge after a minute at least, right? Having a per turn Recharge means more rolling, more stuff to remember and, if you have more than one ability that recharges on a die roll, it gets a bit ridiculous.
>>
Oh boy, here we go again. I sure do love it when people on the internet try to play-by-play an encounter in their minds to try to prove the other guy wrong. This is totally a legit mental exercise that is not weighted by one's inherent bias towards one result or the other.
>>
>>52098129
Depends on the situation. In any dungeon/urban encounter its very easy, in a featureless flat plain its much harder though not impossible.
>>
>>52098129
What, how?

He's 60ft away.
He then moves 30ft. He can easily make it behind something.

You have 30ft of movement. You can dash and be unable to take an action for 60ft. He'll then be within 30ft, but he might still be around a corner and you couldn't attack him anyway. He could even use this time now to use the 'hide' action so you might not even be able to find him if he's stealthy.

Or he could use defensive spells like mirror image or blink.

Or he could just dodge every turn. Or if he has a high con save, he can just use blade ward to ensure he won't take much damage and then be pretty much gauranteed to make the concentration save each turn.

Or... He could dash.
And if he dashes, he's moving 60ft. And if you dash, you're moving 60ft. And you can't get reaction attacks. And if you make a ranged attack, he pulls 30ft further ahead.
You could use your action surge to dash another 30ft and get within range.
Your main hope is teammate support who could definitely outrun him.

Your best hope is you don't fight on an open field, considering a lot of fights are on smaller maps, or you have a rogue or monk. A rogue or monk could really help you out.
>>
>>52097832
Go play PF for your autismal rules wank fest. You and that game deserve each other.
Keep wallowing in your smugness.
>>
File: BigEars.jpg (118KB, 323x405px) Image search: [Google]
BigEars.jpg
118KB, 323x405px
So I was thinking of Hexblade/Paladin to play pic related. Thoughts?
>>
>>52098165
>>52098176
>>52098142
Knew it!
>>
>>52098185
oh man i love bionicle
>>
>>52098136
Yeah. It does mean all of that, so 'once/minute' is probably a better idea.

It allows you to do it pretty much all the time, but not spam it in combat.

>>52098176
>>52098129
Oh, forgot, you also have disadvantage on attacks still. Good luck hitting the mirror image using blink-using guy with the shield spell with disadvantage.
>>
>>52098117
>>52097988
>>52098011
>>52097783
Pulling this sort of tactic on a player is an asshole move. If you're going to have a caster use Heat Metal, at least have it remain in range to contribute to the battle in other ways, rather than run off and slowly kill anyone on the team that wears metal armor.

If you're the sort of asshole that does this, you might as well pounce them with a swarm of gas spores.
>>
>>52098185
>Thoughts?

I guess *MELTINESS INTENSIFIES*

Also Goblins has a Lore Cleric (or Lore Paladin, can't remember) who uses a strength based Hold Person at one point.
>>
>>52098200
Me too. That's what inspired me to play this. Should I go pally 2/Hexblade 18 or do Hexblade 3/pally 17?
>>
>>52098204
Yeah, pretty much.

But fuck heat metal while we're at it.

More on-topic, something like heat metal wouldn't be a bad idea. It gives the party a new objective, prevents the fighter fom acting as much but he can still act and ... Then all the monsters go fuck over the wizard at the back.
>>
>>52098221
Jesus fuck talk about
>MULTICLASSING WITH UA CONTENT

Considering any paladin can take a level in hexblade to start using a quarterstaff with charisma because fuck strength, am I right?
>>
>>52098221
If you like the auras and additional spell-slots, then go for the latter. If you like short rests and invocations, then go for the former.
>>
>>52098204
>If you're the sort of asshole that does this, you might as well pounce them with a swarm of gas spores.

>using a 10' speed, 30' blindsight, 1hp, 3d6 damage on death monster that gives 100 xp is dickish
>other CR 1/2 monsters include the 50' flying speed giant wasp and its 4d6 damage every round, the 1d6+2d4 every round black bear, etc.
>>
File: 20140107051857a0doe341jkos9fv5.jpg (265KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
20140107051857a0doe341jkos9fv5.jpg
265KB, 640x427px
>>52098251
Strength is objectively garbage, yes. Maybe play a different system if you want to it to be relevant?
>>
>>52098288
The point kinda went over your head huh bro? Multiclassing into unofficial content not balanced around multiclassing is a bad move for the DM to allow.

Has nothing to do with str vs cha, etc.
>>
>>52098270
Are you really telling me that you have no idea how you would utilize a floating DC 15 Con save-or-die if you wanted to make your players suffer?
>>
>>52098308
Maybe if you had worded it in an intelligent way you could have gotten your point across.
>>
>>52098185
As always, Palalock is a strong combo from just about any way you look at it.

Were you thinking of taking any particular Oath?
>>
>>52098354
Mechanically Vengeance would be good but I'm not sure if that would fit for Big Ears.
>>
>>52098332

>telling me that you have no idea

Oh. Reading comprehension failure, I take it?

The point was that if a creature that does 3d6 if it happens to lose its one hit point close to you is a scary, then a creature that does significantly more than that every round and is extremely fast has got to be the stuff of nightmares.
>>
>>52098336
Wasn't the guy you were responding to, so...
>>
>>52098365
Flavor wise, he would be just a vanilla devotion paladin. The derf paladin would probably be oathbreaker or vengeance.
>>
>>52098288
It's basically shillelagh (charisma) at level 1 but with -1 damage.

So, honestly, if you've taken 3 levels of hexblade I don't think it's bad at all.

I'm just getting angry at people multiclassing UA content.

Go ahead and do it, as long as it's not a one level dip. Three levels to improve your smites from 2d8 + 1d8 for every level above 1 to 2d8+2d8 for every level above 1 is perfectly fine considering there are no polearms that do that and you can't make it from a normal magic weapon.
>>
>>52098365
I don't know anything about the character you're trying to emulate, so I can only suggest to play what seems fun to you.
>>
>>52098383
You know what, I'm not even going to argue.

Absolutely, anon. The gas spore doesn't do anything but 3d6 poison damage when it dies. That's all it's capable of and I'm a fool for believing otherwise.

Thank you for reminding me about my failure to read, in comparison to your superior reading comprehension.
>>
>>52098185
Not read goblins in ages but I don't see why Hexblade needs to come into it. He was just a straight Paladin as far as I remember. His axe was some funky paladin weapon sure but I don't really remember it acting like a patron does to a warlock.
>>
>>52098416
Its okay. Next time, don't resort to stupid strawman shit like

>That's all it's capable of
>doesn't do anything but

And yes, I will freely admit that in a rare party without paladins, bards, clerics, or druids, a gas spore that somehow makes it into melee is pretty bad news.
>>
So my group will be traveling before they reach the main quest, so I created some hooks for sidequests while they are in the road:

1 - Some wanderes with a strange skin desease pass by them.
2 - A group of fanactic religous pass by them.
3 - Slave merchants pass by them
4 - A group of merchants pass by them
5 - A corpse holding a biten apple near the road.
6 - A Wizard making it rain over crops.

So any ideas for sidequests using those hooks?
>>
Anyone have experience with a game where there are no variant humans, and everyone gets a bonus feat at first level?

The idea is to enable builds earlier so people spend less time thinking "well I'd like to play the character the way I want to play it but I really need 20 str/dex/int/wis/cha first"

Experiences?
>>
>>52099304
I played it once, as a player I found it fun, however as a DM I found it really unbalanced, everybody got too strong.
>>
>>52099336
as a DM did you ever run for a party of all vhumans?
>>
>>52099358
Nope, but since I DM a lot and with the experience I had as a player I can see that the characters get too strong, if you want a very heroic campaign it may be good, but if you want things more balanced isn't a very good idea.
>>
>>52099298

1.) They're going to visit a spring rumored to have healing powers but also is guarded by fey spirits. One of the wanderers promises a worthwhile reward for protecting them while they bathe in the spring.

2.) The religious fanatics claim one of the PCs is the reincarnation of a holy figure and won't let them go on their way. Conflict is likely.

3.) A beautiful slave girl claims to be the heir to a nearby kingdom, sold into slavery by an evil relative. Really she's just a farm girl.

4.) The merchants rip the players off (or try to) and things get ugly. A group of guards (or a knight or paladin and their retinue) shows up and sees the party shaking down some merchants. Hilarious misunderstandings ensue.

5.) A guy just wanted an apple before he died.

6.) The wizard actually created the drought and sells "rain-making services" to the nearby kingdom whose ruler is desperate to avoid famine.
>>
So I really want to run a 5e Battlesystem game, only problem is that everyone seems to... fucking hate the idea and consider it unheroic, while I tend to consider the small scale battles in new D&D pretty unheroic as well, not to mention how unmanageable large fights are. What to do?
>>
>>52099392
Hahaha very good ones, I lol'd the Wizard one.
>>
Long story but basically we need stats for a Spider Rat hybrid, does this look balanced?

Giant Rat-Spider
Size: Small
Type: Beast
Alignment: Neutral
CR: 1/4

STR: 9
DEX: 15
CON: 12
INT: 2
WIS: 11
CHA: 4

AC: 12
HP: 9 (2d6+2)
Attack: +4
Bite: 1d4+2 Piercing, and 1d4 Poison.

Speed: 30 Walking, 30 Climb
Skills: Perception, Stealth
Senses: Blindsense 10, Darkvision 60

Keen Smell: ADV on Perception checks that involve Smell
Pack Tactics: ADV on Attacks with an ally
Spider Climb: Can climb any surface without ability checks
Web Walker: Ignore webs
>>
>>52099298
>1 - Some wanderes with a strange skin desease pass by them.
They are from a tribe taken over by a powerful witch doctor. Anyone who dies with the disease is risen as a flesh walker.
>2 - A group of fanactic religous pass by them.
They are cult worshipers of the god of the harvest, and insist that building a shrine in the middle of the crops would increase yield despite taking up space.
>3 - Slave merchants pass by them
Gnomish slavers are taking Orcish slaves to the Elves, but are low on sedatives to control them.
>4 - A group of merchants pass by them
They are heading to a local bazaar with rare spices, but don't want to pay the foreigner tax, and need someone to smuggle their goods in for them.
>5 - A corpse holding a biten apple near the
road.
A restless soul died in a cabin when biting a poison apple where the road now stands over 200 years ago, a human poisoned by her elven lover. The elf yet lives, and has a suspicious trail of widows in his history.
>6 - A Wizard making it rain over crops.
Muddle Fizzlebrow, the Great Wizard has finally come out of his tower for the first time in 70 years after accidentally turning a group of children into toads after they trespassed into his tower. He is showing how benevolent he is by helping out the smallfolk.
>>
>>52095404
You'd play 4e, because that's 4e.
>>
>>52099722
PoL is a setting but not one any more linked to 4e mechanically than Greyhawk means 3e.
>>
>>52099722
>>52099734

I think PoLand is the only setting to ever suffer a Gnoll-based apocalypse.
>>
>>52100312
CR1 was too hard on them?
>>
>>52100499
4e had gnolls statted out for every possible level range, including Epic.
>>
>>52099304
My group plays with this house rule, and everyone really enjoys it. I like being able to play the race I want without worrying about having enough feats/ASIs for my build.
>>
>>52100312
5e gnolls are pretty apocalyptic too.
>>
>>52100537
Can you elaborate?
>>
>>52100564
You know how you can go to the Demon entry in the monster manual for 5e and see a wide variety of demons of various CR? Across the 3 monster manuals, the monster vault, and various appendices in published adventures, there were enough variations of Gnolls to be comparable to that. The only difference being enemies in 4e didn't have a CR, they had a role and a level.
>>
>>52100608
Well could you give me 1-2 examples of a decently tough paragon or epic gnoll?
>>
>>52093458
Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is an enemy action.
>>
So is the Spell version of Darkvision worth it on my Human Ranger? I feel like it's gonna be useful.
>>
>>52099304
I find that starting with a feat may be too strong, it certainly feels that way as a vhuman, because it lets you become too versatile/powerful too quickly.

Getting crossbow expert AND sharpshooter by 4 is rediculous, for example.

However, i've been thinking of instead granting a level 2 ASI to all races, that can't be used for a feat, and a level 4 feat only gain. Alternatively, you could get both at 4, but it felt too big a jump.

This way it keeps the versatility of vhuman, but doesn't let you double up on the pure combat feats so early, which dominates encounters from levels 4-8/
>>
>>52100742
The spells you absolutely want on your human ranger are Spike Growth (near automatic victory against melee only foes) and Silence (near automatic victory against wizards etc).
>>
Is there a mega for random stuff from the dms guild? Or is there any recomendations of adventures worth buying from there? Don't have a lot of money to spend maybe up to 10$?
>>
>>52100891
>>52100742
And if only rangers could get Heat Metal, they could have the trifecta of broken ass level 2 spells.

>you may be having a bad day, but at least you aren't silenced in a pit of spikes while burning alive in your armor while flying snakes bite you for 122 poison damage a round and druids lash you with vines to pull you back into the pit
>>
Optimal build for a warlock?
>>
>>52101249
Take eldritch blast, the spell darkness, and the following invocations:
>agonizing blast
>devil's sight

From there, cast darkness on a point near yourself, then move around in it and be an eldritch blast machine while having full cover against anything that relies on normal sight to see. For added utility, take pact of the tome and use abilities from there.

If you just want damage, then the spell hex combined with eldritch blast allows for some efficient DPR.
>>
>>52101249
There isn't one, warlocks are a universally suboptimal class.

Still playable and decently fun, though, unlike Wot4E Monks.
>>
>>52101249
Warlock 2, Sorcerer 3. Spam quicken eldritch blast. You can do some Sea Sorcerer + that UA invocation to slow people with Eldritch blast meme shit for a lot of forced movement/slow.
>>
What info do you keep on your DM screens? What's the important stuff you keep in reach?
>>
>>52101249
What >>52101301 said but add repelling blast to keep baddies away from you, also make sure not to fuck up your allies with the darkness.
>>
I've been dm for my group for 2 years. 2 questions.
1. How can I transition back to being a player and help the new inexperienced dm.
2. Opinions on Maestro Bard? Me and my friends are all Music Theory nerds and it sounds fun.
>>
>>52098011
Ironbands of binding + Heat Metal for maximum keks.
>>
>>52101399
Maestro Bard?
>>
>>52101450
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/183630
>>
I'm thinking of playing Siri: the PC. I'm thinking it needs to be optimized for information gathering, processing, and distributing. How might one go about this?

I was thinking Loremaster Wizard might be nice for all of that expertise, though a Divination Wizard could be nice for flavor and a Lore Bard can give extra utility. I was also thinking a pinch of chainlock with voice of the chainmaster might be funny for a super long range helpdesk character.
>>
>>52101478
I don't see anything wrong with it.
>>
>>52101329
I play online through Discord so my screen is
>DMG PDF
>MM PDF
>PHB PDF (open to Conditions page usually)
>screenshots of monster statblocks for fights with multiple creature types
>dndspells site open
>notepad for tracking general stuff (initiative, monster hp, general notetaking etc)
>>
>>52101489
Knowledge Cleric, plenty of divinations and free mindreading and suggestions seem pretty on the ball for what you want.
>>
>>52101705
This, also non-verbal telepathic suggestions are pretty great on short rests.
>>
>>52099358
My party is all vhumans minus a halforc bard. Its damn hard to keep him relevent because he doesnt use his spells being the only caster. But its the guy who made some high ac meme build is complaining about being bored w/ his char.
>>
over bump limit and page ten. No one's going to make a new thread? I've got a question I want to ask the thread but I'm leery to do so when the thread's about to go kaput.
>>
I've been inspired.

Hot new thread right here
>>52102094
>>
>>52101311
>universally suboptimal

Nah. If you play a warlock right, they're fine, its just a lot of people try stupid shit like "I don't want to use EB"
>>
File: Nezrebe.png (40KB, 295x538px) Image search: [Google]
Nezrebe.png
40KB, 295x538px
>>52100634

Here's a pretty epic Gnoll.
Thread posts: 378
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.