[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When you start a game with new players, what should you tell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1471388832011.jpg (620KB, 2169x1444px) Image search: [Google]
1471388832011.jpg
620KB, 2169x1444px
When you start a game with new players, what should you tell them? What ground rules should you set?
>>
>>52086843
Learn the rules as best you can, play nice and don't be a dick.

Everything else follows from that.
>>
File: be excellent.gif (7KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
be excellent.gif
7KB, 180x180px
>>52088241

this. all here to have fun.

also no politics at the table.
>>
>>52088266
Politics is always at the table, in one way shape or form. If your fantasy nation has a king that's a political thing. The real question is where do you draw the line?
>>
>>52088438
Don't be obtuse. You know very well that he meant don't bring real life politics to the table and let them affect the game.
>>
>>52086843
Try to think what makesake the session more fun to other players. I try to be impartial judge, but I will make mistakes. I promise to make it up to your character, but don't whine about it.
>>
>>52088467
I'm speaking as someone who had a player get upset because I had two 'evil' kings and a 'good' republic in a campaign, and got accused of being anti-monarchy. People get triggered by the weirdest shit sometimes.
>>
>>52088495
Yeah, okay, your original post made it sound like you were just being pedantic. Sorry. This does reinforce his my point, though. Your idiot player brought his politics to the table and spoiled everybody's fun.
>>
>>52086843
I recently started a group with beginners and I took two shorter sessions with them to teach them what's what.

We met over the internet so the first thing I did was to send them the rulebook (on pdf) and told them to read the introductiuons of the rules. In this case that's like 5-6 pages. And to read or look through the chapters about the setting. We then met at a café and went through the rules and their questions as well as getting to know each other. We also started the character creation a bit here with picking concepts and such.

The second time we finished creating characters and went through the rules again to clear up any further questions. We also went through the setting a bit more and the tone of the game.

And the third time we started playing.
>>
>>52088495
Tell your player it's a fuckin' game and to stop being a fuckin' weirdo. As simple as that, friendo.
>>
>>52088568
I mean this was like twelve years ago. I've probably still got his number somewhere.

He was fuckin weird though
>>
>>52088544
The point I was trying to make was that you, as the DM, can't ever really keep a game 'politics free' unless you stick the players in a hole in the ground for the whole campaign. Getting upset over politics is just as much an issue with them as it is with you.
>>
>>52088650
"Don't bring modern, real-world politics into the game. Do not attempt through creation or interpretation to compare the game to today's politics"
How's that sound?
>>
>>52088788
Can we have an additional clause for accidental analogies to modern politics?

Also do we need to specify a time-period? Is talking about WW2 politics acceptable?
>>
>>52086843

Use the goddamn coasters provided.
Anything you do that you think is clever should be done after you do 2 other not quite as clever things.
Don't be an asshole.
>>
>>52086843
>ground rules

Try not to worry too much about originality. Embrace tropes and memes, but don't be consumed by them. Go over the top. You're playing a game of make-believe with some friends, not writing for a competition.

Prioritize fun. If you find yourself looking at two options and saying "well this one would be way more fun", pick that option every time.
>>
>>52088897
>coasters
Well, this could have been a nice thread.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.