[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ is useless. What is a good series that will give me the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

/lit/ is useless. What is a good series that will give me the same kind of feeling I got when I read Isaac Asimov's Foundation? I've already read his other stuff. Are the books written after he died any good?
>>
>>52086814
Maybe Fallen Dragon by Hamilton? People that like one usually like the other.

As much as I adore the robots, trantor, and the rest of Asimov's stories (even the non-sci-fi stuff like Azazel or the black widowers) Foundation never hooked me. I cannot figure why people like it so much.
>>
>>52086814
And what was that feeling?
>>
>>52086814
The best Asimov are the books he has not written. Read the Robot City novels, they're great.
>>
>>52089193
The one he can't fight any more.
>>
>>52086814

It's a little more action-focused than Foundation, but Marc Millar's Agent of the Imperium hits some similar themes, as the main character is an agent who gets taken out of storage every so often over the centuries to deal with various crises that threaten a vast stellar empire. Vast scope, weird problems, and pretty well written.

If you like crazy super science, A.E. Van Vogt's Empire of the Atom and especially Wizard of Linn hit some similar tropes. In the first book a Terran star empire fights a war against an alien race and collapses, in the second a man strives to rebuild from the ashes and regain the lost sciences before he aliens recover and restart a now one-sided war.
The "science" really is weird as fuck, though, so it depends a bit on your tastes.
>>
>>52088203
I will second Fallen Dragon. Very cool setting, gave me lots of ideas.
>>
File: nyarlat khan.jpg (167KB, 736x684px) Image search: [Google]
nyarlat khan.jpg
167KB, 736x684px
>>52086814
"The Rediscovery of Man" also called the "Instrumentality"series by Cordwainer Smith is pretty good. It's more fantastic and whimsical, but it's got the same concept of telling a millenia-long "future history" of humankind. There are schemeing guilds of cyborg-navigators, extra-dimensional monsters that prey on ftl travellers, and thousand year old machines still fighting a war between factions that ceased to exist centuries ago.
>>
File: iltt.gif (156KB, 852x388px) Image search: [Google]
iltt.gif
156KB, 852x388px
>>52089351
>REO Speedwagon fans on /tg/
>pic related
>>
>>52092266
Also catgirls.
>>
>>52092266
>Cordwainer Smith
He has a real name, you know.
>>
>>52094614

But you don't see that one on his books.
>>
>>52086814
>/lit/ is useless.

You're just mad that you can't understand The Book of the New Sun.
>>
>>52094869

Hey, I love TBotNS, but /lit/ is still pretty bad.
>>
>bringing up genre fiction on /lit/
What the fuck were you expecting?
>>
>>52094955
Presumably a discussion about books

It's a shame /lit/ is pretentiousness to the power of cancer. I like books.
>>
>>52096954
>>52094955
that's like asking /v/ about video games
>>
the ones he wrote after he died were the best of all imo
>>
Dune had a very similar feel to it theme wise, to me anyway. The first couple in the series are worth a read, I'd pass on the ones his son wrote though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.