[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 362
Thread images: 30

File: lich.jpg (75KB, 700x499px) Image search: [Google]
lich.jpg
75KB, 700x499px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

>Give feedback on the previous Unearthed Arcana:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/19723ad02610

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
http://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Question: Who was a PC of another player in one of your games that you loved? Why?
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12492204

Here's the poll for druids.

And for anyone interested in the last few:
http://www.strawpoll.me/12466636/r
http://www.strawpoll.me/12476406/r
http://www.strawpoll.me/12483412/r
>>
File: 1474138993822.jpg (73KB, 400x265px) Image search: [Google]
1474138993822.jpg
73KB, 400x265px
I'm going to start DMing a new campaign next month, and I have almost nothing prepared. I could smush together a story, and a scenario, but I really don't want to do that this time. I want to run a totally sandbox game driven by the players.
What are the bare bones things I should have prepared in spite of this? A map? A list of gods, and religions? A list of random NPC names to be pulled out of a hat?
And how should I get the group to get together, and stay together in the least intrusive manner?
>>
Reposting from the last thread because I came late.
Pile of questions.
What are some fun uses for tavern brawler? I feel like the feat is fun and a good excuse for a +1 strength as a human. I want to think of ways to use the grapple and the improvised weapons in fun ways.

Are there rules for bashing someone in the face with a shield? Like not pushing with shield master just hitting someone with it? If there aren't would it be an improvised weapon (see: tavern brawler)? And either way would you keep or lose your shield bonus doing so?

Does your hand need to be free when you make the attack to benefit from tavern brawler to make the grapple? E.g. lets say you're using a weapon and a shield and you replace an attack with a kick or healthy headbutt that hits, can you then drop your weapon and grapple as a bonus action? Ideally if the above conditions are met then start beating them in the face with your shield or your "unarmed" helmeted head?

What are some things you can do with a net, particularly getting it to actually hit? It seems like there's no way to use it without disadvantage without the sharpshooter or crossbow master feat? (or using it on a helpless person I guess which isn't as useful I feel)

I...I want to play a really filthy fighter.
>>
>>52085011
A setting, so
>map
>scenario incl. political conditions and problems that might lead to quests
>religions and gods
>names, cultures, races
>some form of rudimentary history
>some pictures for your setting to use as backgrounds
>>
You need a free hand to grapple someone, so yes. I'm not sure what kind of action dropping an item is if anything.

Presumably a shield is the same as any improvised weapon.

And all you need to use net w/o disadvantage, is to gain advantage from another source.
>>
Optimization question: I'd like to make a character centered around Armor of Agathys. I don't want to go wild with the multiclassing though, I was thinking Warlock3/Valor Bard rest of the way, but I could also see Sorclock working out. What do you guys think?
>>
File: B0x3r.jpg (1MB, 2213x3678px) Image search: [Google]
B0x3r.jpg
1MB, 2213x3678px
Guys, I need your help in making stats for my robo character that I just got drawn. Now that he has been drawn I have to play as him, the character on the bottom is my friend's half elf witch so that means the robot is canon now. Help me /tg/, you're my only hope.
>>
>>52085063
>optimization
>uselessness of agathys

Its crazy to see such an incredible spell for the first ten levels become absolute garbage, but hey. About all you can do is maybe get heavy armor mastery and a source of nonmagical resistance to spread out the temp hp a little more.
>>
File: 1486434516464.jpg (401KB, 1280x1171px) Image search: [Google]
1486434516464.jpg
401KB, 1280x1171px
>>52084983
The first time I ever played the game, as well as that of all my players. I was running out of the Starter Set, still freshly released. One of them played the prebuilt noble human fighter as Reginald Obermarle, a haughty and righteous warrior with the full power and gravitas that comes with noblesse oblige. Thing is, that guy had the knack for portraying that character right off the bat. It's been years and I've yet to see anyone play an archetypal leader of a fighter or paladin since.

On a different note, let's bring up the old shitshow of racial flight again. I've got a moth-race for the setting I'm working on, and I'm trying to decide how I want it to work. Usable only while wearing light or no armor or, in my games since I use encumbrance, not encumbered. So, anything as long as not carrying more than 5*Str score.Also, only in most of the world, in the race's homeland there are regions of magic/magnetic flux that allow them much easier flight
Of course, that's flight right from the get-go. I could limit it to a number of rounds based on level or Con mod, with exhaustion for pushing further. Maybe then becoming unlimited at level 5. But is that really necessary?
>>
>>52085093
Give them unlimited flight. When you homebrew for yourself you can bake checks and balanced into your game where if you published your homebrew it could easily be OP since it doesn't come with those stipulations.
>>
>>52085093
the balancing factor that flying races SHOULD use is that it requires Concentration to fly, so that you can shoot people out of the air and they can't be flying inviz faggots as easily
>>
Nuclear Druid is fun!
>>
Lets get in on the ground floor this time. Still looking for opinions/help with my Warlord homebrew.

http://pastebin.com/nQRmGvwj

Mostly wondering if any of the features seem over/underpowered, and what to do for each archetype at later levels, as well as the capstone. I THINK it should be balanced for play.
>>
Give me your stories of times you fucked up as a GM in 5e.

>party is instructed to clear the dinosaurs out of a temple to be used later, and place supersonic beacons that project a frequency to keep future dinosaurs away
>what I'm picturing happening: party goes through temple, killing groups of dinosaurs or else herding them out, carefully going room to room and looking at stuff
>what actually happens: two members of the party enter in, turn on the beacons, the rest hold the doors closed
>big herd of peaceful plant eaters living in the temple freak the fuck out, trampling the lone guy and each other, jumping out windows, etc until their brains melt from the sound
>rest of the temple is the party going through and looting, going "huh, interesting" and the corpses of what should have been interesting encounters
Also, in that same session
>pipe organ in the temple
>one person hits an extremely low note
>hear answering calls from outside- t-rexes think their territory is being invaded
>leave obvious switch to open big as doors and let t-rexes in, thinking party will have great fight against tough enemies, jumping on their backs from elevated seating
>nope
>two of them (level 5) go out ALONE, other two go in raptor basement
>funnily enough, the t-rexes are defeated, the other two get their asses kicked by raptors
Bonus, setting myself up for failure
>next session, plan on giving the party a chunk of orange chalk wrapped in twine as part of some other mundane loot
>one player has an int 6 barb
>hoping during downtime they use the chalk to teach the barb to write his name, and carefully steer as many party members to write their names as I can. I think one besides the barb is illiterate, too
>later on, have them get summoned dark souls style to help an NPC fight a specially created boss fight
A lot of assumptions on my part. I know it sounds far-fetched, but honestly knowing my group I think it'll go similar to how I'm picturing it. If not, I can use the boss later
>>
>>52085080
By making stats you mean what, allocating points into attributes for a certain class? Coming up with a robot race?
>>
>group's DM and characters cycle again
>make a fighter named Durnhelm
>no one's figured out he's a woman yet
>>
Anyone know where I can see a scan of the deluxe DM's screen? Seems to be the only official material not in the trove. Can't find it in Da Archive, either.
>>
File: IMG_7941.jpg (91KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7941.jpg
91KB, 720x960px
>>52085339
what's the plan for when they do/you tell them?
>>
So my DM's allowing me to choose what creatures I summon with conjure animals. I have to roll a die to see how man I get though, so if I choose one CR 2 creature I will defiantly get it, if I want to summon and army of wolves though I could end up with 8 or only get 1. Is this a good way to do the spell?
>>
Chris Perkins has a banner of modrons on his twitter, does this mean something involving Planescape is confirmed?
>>
>>52085206
I like presence as a name for the archetypes.
>don't like the new style. I think having some other payment to give your ally advantage would sit with me better, something like hit with an attack up to (cha mod) enemies, allies get advantage
>invigorating dice, I assume have the same progression as maneuver dice
>capstone- get another attack? Allowing another opportunity to command allies
>inspiring presence-13th level, allies get a bonus action attack if they kill one of your targets. 17th level, allies get advantage on some saves (frightened, charmed)
>ravager is debuff archetype? Lvl 13, give disadvantage to a targets saves. Lvl 17, cause fear to all targets in 30 ft (wis save)
>other archetype, allies within 5 ft get advantage at 13th, at 17th their damage gets a bonus equal to cha mod
Keep in mind, I pulled these out of my ass and I'm drunk
>>
>>52085463
>don't like the new style. I think having some other payment to give your ally advantage would sit with me better, something like hit with an attack up to (cha mod) enemies, allies get advantage
Maybe make it so you have to hit with disadvantage?
>invigorating dice, I assume have the same progression as maneuver dice
Currently the size doesn't increase, but you get another die every 4 levels (so 2 dice at 6, 3 at 10, and so on).
>capstone- get another attack? Allowing another opportunity to command allies
Seems both underwhelming and stepping on the fighter's toes to be honest.
>inspiring presence-13th level, allies get a bonus action attack if they kill one of your targets. 17th level, allies get advantage on some saves (frightened, charmed)
Inspiring is designed to be more of a healer archetype, though I like the save thing.
>ravager is debuff archetype? Lvl 13, give disadvantage to a targets saves. Lvl 17, cause fear to all targets in 30 ft (wis save)
I like both of those.
>other archetype, allies within 5 ft get advantage at 13th, at 17th their damage gets a bonus equal to cha mod
It's be Int mod, since Tactician is int-secondary, but it could work.
>>
>>52085206
>Martial leader able to enable and heal their allies.
>heal their allies
>No proficiency in Medicine
I see a problem.
>>
>>52085516
. . . fug.
>>
File: Troll 1.jpg (506KB, 1600x1035px) Image search: [Google]
Troll 1.jpg
506KB, 1600x1035px
Reposting from a previous thread since I didn't see a response:

What's a good creature of the CN variety that might hitch a ride with some Slaad as they travel through the planes?
>>
>>52085266
That sounds pretty funny, and weird.
>>
>>52085490
>Maybe make it so you have to hit with disadvantage?
It's the disadvantage thing that I don't like, but I get that you want to have a style with a trade-off in it. If you want to keep disadvantage in, just making an attack would be better than requiring a hit I think.
>Currently the size doesn't increase, but you get another die every 4 levels (so 2 dice at 6, 3 at 10, and so on).
In that case...
>Seems both underwhelming and stepping on the fighter's toes to be honest.
Invigorating die turn into d10s? Alternately, all rolls made by allies during the first turn of combat have advantage
>Inspiring is designed to be more of a healer archetype, though I like the save thing
13th level, allies gain temp hp equal to your warlord level/2 rounded down after each long rest. Or, grant allies temp AC equal to your cha/int, once per short rest.
>It's be Int mod, since Tactician is int-secondary, but it could work.
I must have missed that. Other mechanics that occur to me but I don't know where they'd fit-
>next attack, do extra damage equal to your int/cha mod
>use an action to heal equal to your warlord level
>if an ally has advantage, you could instead roll an invigorating die and add it to their to hit/damage (damage is probably better, everybody thinks they're gonna get crits when they have advantage)
>one archetype has bonus action movement, maybe they can add invigorating die to that movement in certain situations
>gain proficiency in another save
>advantage on personality checks when dealing with affluent people (persuadion, intimidation, etc) I think the UA samurai has something similar
>something something gain retainers/low level npc companions
>cause an enemy with a damage immunity/resistance to take damage normally
>>
>>52085634
Obvious answer is chaos beast, you got no replies since there's nothing relevant in the MM.
>>
Is Ritual Caster (Wizard) worth taking on a Druid? I'm a variant Human and I thought it might be useful for out of combat.
>>
File: 1487125144676.jpg (65KB, 800x665px) Image search: [Google]
1487125144676.jpg
65KB, 800x665px
Anyone have that pic of the differing cat folk as advetures? It also had some rat folk on it. I believe it may be from a dragon+ article but the one I found on the wizards site is not it...

Thanks in advance
>>
>>52085149
Don't worry I won't make fun of you. I appreciate it.
>>
File: Beholder.jpg (106KB, 569x580px) Image search: [Google]
Beholder.jpg
106KB, 569x580px
>>52085660
>that srd entry

Jesus; I forgot about that.
>>
>>52085644
My players liked it, and ultimately that's all I can really ask for. As for the dark souls stuff, if they do it right I know they'll like that, too. I'm lucky to have a group that meshes fairly well together playstyle-wise, we all really enjoy story stuff just as much if not more than combat stuff, so even in combat heavy games like dnd we can end up playing entire sessions that are nothing but talking.
>>
>>52085634
Any of the frog type guys. Bullywugs, the rainfrogs from volos, frogemoth (maybe their last ditch weapon, kept in a cage)
>>
>>52085651
>It's the disadvantage thing that I don't like, but I get that you want to have a style with a trade-off in it. If you want to keep disadvantage in, just making an attack would be better than requiring a hit I think.
The idea is that you make an attack that's intentionally easy to see coming. Foe avoids it, and dodges right into your allies.
>Invigorating die turn into d10s? Alternately, all rolls made by allies during the first turn of combat have advantage
Hmmm, maybe. The capstone is actually the least of my concerns because >level 20
13th level, allies gain temp hp equal to your warlord level/2 rounded down after each long rest. Or, grant allies temp AC equal to your cha/int, once per short rest.
The temp HP thing is fitting but largely invalidates the inspiring leader feat. The temp AC thing could get really crazy.
My own current thoughts are: level 13: Allies within (radius) either get advantage on saves vs. fear and charm, or add your charisma bonus to said saves. Level 17: Whenever you invigorate an ally, they also gain temp HP equal to 1/2 level + Cha.

>next attack, do extra damage equal to your int/cha mod
+Int mod to damage could work with Tactician.
>advantage on personality checks when dealing with affluent people (persuadion, intimidation, etc) I think the UA samurai has something similar
Eh, I imagine someone wanting to play up the Great General angle would get Persuasion expertise at level 7.
>something something gain retainers/low level npc companions
It fits, but I'd really rather not. Leadership is a can of worms best left unopened.
>cause an enemy with a damage immunity/resistance to take damage normally
This is a perfect fit for Ravager, though.
>>
Not exclusively related to 5E, but does anyone have any recommendations for good tablet apps for DMs?
>>
>>52085681
Is that Beholder piece's ressemblance to Caravaggio's Medusa deliberate?
>>
So are nets useful for players in any way at all? I stumbled across the net rules in an adventure and the effect seems interesting enough. How would you use/abuse nets?
>>
>>52085800
calculator
>>
>>52085800
Calculator
Die Roller
Notepad
PDF reader and/or web browser depending on how good your system's SRD is
>>
Decompressing from tonight's session of SKT with my wednesday store group.

We just too on The Morkoth.

We had stolen the Sword of the Vonindod from Iron Slag and we traveled by airship. With liberal use of clairvoyance to scout and staying above the cloud layer, we dropped the damn thing into the bow of the ship to open the combat as the rest of us performed a High Altitude Low Featherfall jump to rescue the Storm King.
>>
So I mostly play in the adventurer's league and my level 9 wizard has, totally legitimately, ended up with a Staff of Power AND a Staff of the Magi. I'll be doing Tier 3 (11-16) adventures at a con next month, what is the best way to abuse this rarest and most broken of magic item combos other than spamming fireball all the livelong day? My wizard basically has unlimited spell slots at this point, and is nearly immune to enemy spellcasters. Other magic items are a Robe of Eyes and Broom of Flying.

>>52085865

I did that the other day. The motherfucker banished me, that prick.
>>
>>52085747
>The idea is that you make an attack that's intentionally easy to see coming. Foe avoids it, and dodges right into your allies.
Ah, got it. I think usually in that case I'd say forgo the roll and just give up an attack to let an ally gain advantage but I like how there's still a chance to do damage, especially at higher levels one last suggestion for replacement however, once per round when you hit with an attack, you can move that enemy five feet.
>The temp HP thing is fitting but largely invalidates the inspiring leader feat. The temp AC thing could get really crazy.
A lot of feats are meant to give characters subdued versions of class features. Maybe you could be retroactively making the class feature that the feat represents...? But I understand the hesitation.
13th level feature sounds good, I'd go with advantage because from looking at the MM most things relating to saves give advantages rather than bonuses, but I don't think a bonus is entirely out of place. Might keep advantage from seeming redundant from being in so many places.
>Eh, I imagine someone wanting to play up the Great General angle would get Persuasion expertise at level 7.
It fits, but I'd really rather not. Leadership is a can of worms best left unopened.
It occurs to me, you could have four archetypes, one of which being a more social character that focuses on acquiring backing and NPC help, but again I understand your hesitation on something like this
>>
>>52085878
The Storm King, the enemy caster, or that which rose from beneath?
>>
>>52085878
Laugh as you make everyone else worthless.
>>
>>52085911

The caster. We flew away from the spoiler. the SK helped us (and I cast enlarge on him for the laughs)
>>
File: Character_a89598_5790896.jpg (27KB, 509x720px) Image search: [Google]
Character_a89598_5790896.jpg
27KB, 509x720px
I kinda wanna keep this poll going a little while longer, sorry if I'm spamming

What's your favorite adventure and why?
What was the most memorable moment?
Share your thoughts friends

http://www.strawpoll.me/12485925
>>
How do I make "dungeons" more interesting, or make better set piece encounters?

I thought my last session was going to be awesome, but it turned into a tedious slog where my players were never threatened (until the very end) and the combat was boring.

>PCs find a Hobgoblin outpost responsible for raiding caravans and a nearby town
>The Hobgoblins have willingly become servants of an Orc horde
>Current Hobgoblin leader manipulated the last one to join the Orcs, and then had all the goblins do a shitty job so the Orcs would get mad and execute the previous leader
>These Hobgoblins are secretly preparing the way for a massive Hobgoblin invasion
>Hobgoblins would eventually take over the Orc horde itself

None of that background or exposition made it out during the session...

>Wizard sends his hawk familiar to get an outline of the fortress
>PCs realize its pretty big and contains likely too many enemies
>PCs realize its made of wood
>PCs end up lighting entrances and sides of the outpost on fire through spells, torches, and oil
>Next 3 hours of session is me figuring out how the Goblins would panic and try exit
>All the encounters are boring and just handfuls of panicked goblins trying to just run away
>Eventually the Hobgoblin leader comes out with a handful of goblins and wolves
>Combat was still pretty boring.
>Absolutely no RP, and players felt as if the whole thing was just arbitrary

In hindsight I should have ran the burning of the outpost as an explicit skill challenge, where each failure resulted in more goblins to fight in a single large encounter with the hobgoblin leader.

But what's even more apparent is that I just made a really boring set piece encounter. It was just a big wooden fortress with Hobgoblins and Goblins.

How would you guys have ran this encounter or changed it to make it more interesting? I wanted my players to move the plot along and learn more about the motivations of the Goblins and the Orcs, and who was manipulating who.
>>
>>52085926

Well that should be easy enough. I'm a Yuan-Ti transmutation wizard with 14 CON so I'm also extremely resilient. Magic resistance, poison immunity, and proficiency in con saves. I'm planning to take resilient (dex) to get +1 AC and neuter the threat of AoE spells (which the magi staff doesn't protect me from) to my wizard.
>>
>>52086009
Congratulations. You won official D&D games, I would suggest showing this to every single person you know and bragging about it at game conventions.
>>
What's your stance on creating a character based off an existing fantasy/otherwise IP?

I've realized I have a very low tolerance for it, I feel like it smacks of a lack of creativity.

I've got a guy in my group who only makes characters based off of roman gladiators/centurions/soldiers who always use two weapon fighting because he's obsessed with the movie Troy. We also have a new guy who just joined who's character is literally Geralt and Nero from DMC's lovechild, down to the fucking demon arm. He named it Zero, for fuck's sake.

Am I wrong in getting mad at these people? I understand making a character or setting inspired by an existing idea, but not something so blatant.
>>
>>52086074
I see literally zero problem with the gladiator/centurion and can't imagine why that'd be a problem.

The demon arm shit is retarded.

Plenty of classes were designed to emulate one person first and foremost, though.
>>
>>52086074
Well it depends on your setting. If you got the 'generic fantasy land woohoo' setting, that sorta stuff will happen all the time.

If you make it impossible for a roman soldier or a cringy demon-armed motherfucker named Zero to exist in your setting, then go with that.

Or just say 'I don't accept these characters, could you make something different?'
>>
>>52085990
Elevation.

All major dungeons and fighting areas need to have multiple levels. That hobgoblin camp? Needed a higher level where scouts and/or artillery could have coordinated against the party.
>>
>>52086105
He's made 3 characters that are all the exact same gladiator/centurion, and when we've asked about his character the only real design he's come up with is "He's like Achilles from Troy". I also just don't like the guy in general, but still.

>>52086119
That's the problem. The DMs are a lot more lenient with that sort of thing, but I know at least 3 other people (the DM included) who are constantly having to stifle groans whenever these chuckle heads are up to bat.
>>
>>52086120
Surprisingly simple and universal advice.
>>
File: absolute autism.gif (524KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
absolute autism.gif
524KB, 350x350px
>>52086074
There is no such thing as originality, EVERYTHING is based off something else.

That being said, even if you're taking your inspiration from another source, at least TRY to make it our own instead of just copy-pasting.

Also anime/videogames were a mistake.
>>
>>52086140
At least its a perfectly prosaic character concept.
>>
>>52085990
First, I would have put goblin archers on towers/parapets to potentially spit the PCs/shoot at them. A sentient element to add some risk to the action they chose to take which in your case ended up being basically players vs. Inanimate object. That would have led to some increasing difficulty after they set the first fire, needing better stealth rolls to continue burning without being seen or to avoid the goblins coming out to put out the fire.

Second, put something to hint at the subterfuge between the hobgoblon and the orc. Maybe after the hobgoblin worked his way into the fortress, he routed all the remaining orca and the PCs pass a burning mound of orc corpses, or mass grave, something like that. Also, once the fires were discovered, the hobgoblin would assume is was the orc or one of his subordinates coming to reclaim the fort, and he qoukd attempt to sneak out with a company of goblin guards, carrying a bunch of incriminating documents detailing the handover of power. Should the PCs encounter the hobgoblin (and rhey should, because you should put his secret exit coincidentally right next to where the PCs were at the time) the hobgoblin would declare something like, "hey, you're not (orc's name)! You made me evacuate for nothing!" And then attack the players in anger. Now they've got some strange name to go off of, the orc, to look into plus the documents (letters between the hobgoblin and orc, deeds, etc) to look through and start putting pieces together.
>>
>>52085990
>>Next 3 hours of session is me figuring out how the Goblins would panic and try exit
Jesus man, really? Are you kidding me? I hope you're exaggerating.
>>
>>52086074
I have no issue with people who base a characters backstory off someone, I have an issue when it's a carbon copy.

I had one guy play a Ranger who was basically Garruk from Magic. Raised on a farm, some noble wanted child soldiers and his Father sent him into the forest where he was raised by animals and talked to his Father with a magic artifact. One day the noble killed his father blah blah revenge, took the dead guys helmet and became an adventurer.

Nobody noticed that this new guy just ripped off the first character he thought of because he put some real effort into roleplaying an interesting character. He was pretty great at it as well.
>>
>>52086074
> /lit/ here. tfw when I DM I base a shitton of characters and situations off of classic books I've read and most of the times don't even bother to change the names. They still have no idea
>>
>>52085990

>Next 3 hours of session is me figuring out how the Goblins would panic and try exit
Jesus Christ, just say "the goblins panic and flee, many burning to death."
>>
>>52086140
My bad, I wrote that with the impression that you were the DM. Other than that, I got nothing. You'll have to live with them until Zero inevitably gets killed doing something stupid.

Alternatively, you could talk to the Troy guy, IC or OOC and just force him to develop more backstory. Force a situation that's storytime or some shit between PCs.
>>
File: 1456602517232.png (223KB, 405x797px) Image search: [Google]
1456602517232.png
223KB, 405x797px
>>52086074
Are you playing with like... fucking 15 year olds? Like, I've had people use anime or videogame pictures as their character art, but actually copying the character itself is in no way OK.
>>
File: St George vs a FUCKING DOG.jpg (178KB, 693x1024px) Image search: [Google]
St George vs a FUCKING DOG.jpg
178KB, 693x1024px
Who'd win in a fight, a paladin or a FUCKING DOG?
>>
>>52086074
I have one player who makes nothing but Dragonborn Dual Weapon Gishes. It's as awful in all games as it sounds.

Worst part is I know he's not even a furry or a scaly. Just stupid, with one idea.
>>
>>52086195
Homeboy playing Zero walked in to his first session yesterday, wearing a wolf shirt and a witcher medallion. Stereotypical hick neckbeard.

Troy dude is a TOTALLY STRAIGHT guy who isn't compensating for anything because he has so much sex all the time and really cool tattoos he wants to show you. He tried to branch out once, making a caster. It didn't go well, he's sworn off them ever since.
>>
>>52086190
Troy guy wrote a backstory for his character, but it's just bad, everything I've heard/seen from it.

Apparently it's extensive and moderately compelling, so the DM says, but even he doesn't seem to know really what he's doing with it. Nobody at the table seems engaged in what he's doing.

>>52086188
That's a little more forgivable, names are hard sometimes. But typically that sort of stuff is trope-y enough/nobody at the table is well read enough to notice.
>>
>>52086074
>Am I wrong in getting mad at these people?
I'd say yeah, but not wrong enough to say you should feel bad about it. It's small beans.
Take into account the level of experience your players have with these games, and give them a grace period. Or, realize that they just aren't creative enough to come up with an "original idea", meaning they don't hide their inspirations very well. Or, possibly, the setting isn't stimulating them enough to put thought into character creation.
If you really wanna be a cool guy and make your players cool guys too (I'm assuming you're DM, but I suppose you could just be talking about fellow players) try creating a faction in the setting that the players could be a part of, one that is distinctly not-roman and explicitly does not use two weapons. Give them some NPC interactions with people of those factions to keep them on track. Give them a rival, someone who maybe does that stuff you're tired of seeing but is also a total pick personality-wise so the player will distance themselves from them. Work with the player so they have a personal stake in it, come up with a nation or army and approach them with the opportunity to work out some details, but have the choices you know they'll make and don't want to see already decided so they come up with other stuff. They'll probably want to play a person from that place if they helped build it.
>>
>>52086254
I'm not the DM of these sessions, but I'll definitely mention this to mine. It's a good plan.
>>
>>52086165

It was 3 hours of the goblins burning alive within the fortress, and then groups of them running out, and then my PCs picking them off. I was trying to figure out the logistics of how it would happen realistically and how the NPCs would be reacting to the situation. I didn't want to just throw out ALL of the goblins to my PCs because then that would have been 4 level 3 PCs vs ~ 24+ enemies.

Then culminating in a large battle with the hobgoblin leader + minions.
>>
>>52086401
No wonder the players massively lost interest.
>>
>>52086189

Fuck, I know. It was painful. 3 hours of tedious encounters as they fought goblins running away. I really could have just said that, and then have them fight a single battle.
>>
>>52086401
Jesus man. At a certain point player enjoyment takes precedent over realism. You surely had to realize at some point that this was not fun for your players? Any good DM would have said, at that point:
>the wood fort finally collapses, killing all inside

DON'T LET SLAVISH DEVOTION TO REALISM FUCK THE FUN OF YOUR PLAYERS. ITS NOT WORTH IT.
>>
>>52086431

How would you have ran this? This was only my second set piece encounter I've ever made. The first was great and a wild blast.
>>
>>52086401
>I didn't want to just throw out ALL of the goblins to my PCs because then that would have been 4 level 3 PCs vs ~ 24+ enemies.
Why the fuck would the goblins stay in the fort for the sake of fairness?

I'd have it happen this way:
Fort fire starts:
>First panicked goblins run out (just a few)
>Hobgoblins begin to round up an rally goblins
>They stage a breakout in mass.

Now the goblins have no fort, but the players have to fight them all at once, hopefully from a prepared position.

>>52086151
I also agree with this post
>>
>>52086493
Did you make a decent investment in time in making a battlemap or setting up a diorama or whatever, or was it all theater of the mind? If the latter, I'd have just let them trivialize it totally or do a stealth check (are skill challenges even in 5e?). IF they all go, check goblins perception vs the least stealthiest type. If only the sneaky guys go, if they fail, the goblins ambush the sneaky guy by himself.
>>
>>52086504

My players purposefully burned all the points of exit off so I didn't want to make their creativity seem pointless, and I wanted to emphasis "yeah your actions ended up burning a lot of these fucks alive", but then I still wanted them to fight something.

Thanks for the advice, This was my fourth session as a DM and it was the only one where my PCs were not having a good time.
>>
>>52086074
I've tried to emulate classes from other games that I really liked. Mostly other MMOs.
But never a specific character. That seems dumb. Certain abilities and archetypes will naturally be modeled after other characters that already exist. So I don't mind that at all.
>>
>>52086120
Mah nigga.

If players are smart they'll start realizing the benefits of high ground themselves.
>inb4 goblins scream "you underestimate my power"

My players were tasked with dealing with some bandits making a mess out of some mountain roads. They spent a good deal of time and energy setting up and waiting for the band to pass by and ambushed them. The fight was pretty one sided, but they earned it. And as they had to spend the night camped there waiting there was some good RP moments.
>>
Are there any good fixes for Dual-Weapon fighting? I've thought about giving the extra attack without using up a bonus action if you have the fighting style.

Assuming you have a +4 ability modifier, Dual Weapon averages at 22.5 and Two-Weapon fighting averages at 22 (24.6 with Great Weapon Fighting).

If we have the appropriate feat Two-Weapon fighting would go up to 25.5 and I don't want to do the math but the +10 on Two-Handed is pretty great.

So basically on anyone with Extra Attack there's pretty much no way Dual-Weapon fighting will out damage a Two-Handed weapon by it's self. Also if you have a way to get another attack Two-Handed weapons get even better. So the only thing Dual-Wielding would have even with the attack not costing an action is it can apply on-hit effects more often, which brings it up to about the same level if you build for it.

So is removing the bonus action cost a good idea in other people's opinions?
>>
Quick question to my lorefags. I'm having a hard time finding the origin of the Deck of Many Things.

Do we know who created it/them? Do we know why? Etc.
Just looking for more information regarding that item.
>>
>>52086751
In my opinion dual-weapon fighting is usually a sub-optimal choice. However, if you play something like a battlemaster, it can be better as your maneuvers key off of you being able to land your hit in the first place. So you want as many chances to hit as possible.

Not everything is perfectly balanced. And that's okay.
>>
>>52086751
Dual-weapon fighting is already really powerful. If you have any kind of weapons (or a class feature like Sneak attack) that apply effects on-hit, dual weapons allow you an extra chance to apply that effect. In the case of direct-damage enchantments, you're pretty much applying that extra damage again for free.
>>
>>52086784
it was a generic magic item changed to an artifact in 3e
>>
>>52086826
Yeah that's what I figured. Was wondering if they've expounded on it at all since making it into an artifact. For something to hold such power seems like they would have.
>>
How much do you care about refluffing in your games? When I run I'll allow anything with no mechanical changes but I'm about to message the DM of a game I'm going to, and ask if he cares as I refluff my Quarterstaff as a club or flail for PAM. Just curious if that's taking things a bit far.
>>
>>52085062
Dropping is free, doesnt even take your onject interaction
>>
>>52086898
See, typically i don't mind, but you are asking to turn a statted thing, into another statted thing, and that can cause all kinds of problems down the road. Especially since you are doing it entirely for mechanical benefit.

What happens when he rolls a +1quarterstaff in a loot table? What about a flail? Why can your flail be a spell focus? Why can't MY club be a polearm?

As a DM i'd tell you, fancify your staff all you want, but it needs to resemble a staff more than anything else, otherwise it ISN'T a staff.

Hell, put a chain/ball on the end of the staff, or a morningstar head. Don't expect a magical version to be similar though.
>>
>>52086898
It doesn't really make since to use PAM when you're not using a polearm does it?
So don't be a little bitch and try to nab it.

Why not just use a quarterstaff? A club doesn't have an opposite end with which to whack people.
>>
>>52086925
>>52086942
I guess that's a fair point. I'm playing a Gnoll Ranger and Flail and shield feel like such a Gnoll combo to use, plus I like the idea of using the bonus action attack as my character flipping the hell out and clubbing the shit out of someone.

Though the chain and ball on the end of a quarterstaff works better.
>>
>>52085063
Vhuman for ham
1 level in temptest cleric for heavy armor maybe go to 2 to get the channel divinty to max out lightning/thunder
1level in warlock for armor of agythys
Rest in abj wizard for arcane ward, take lighning bolt when you can to max dmg it 1 per long rest.

You get hit, Ham reduces dmg, ward takes dmg, deal cold
Shield/absorb elements/etc to keep ward up. You are still getting hit to trigger aa but keep the temp hp.
Bonus if you get a cleric/paladin to warding bond you
>>
>>52085011
A few ideas and suggestions: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Nqep5bLpsNc
>>
>>52086947
I forgot to mention I'm autistic as hell and like rolling all of the same dice when benefiting from something like Hunter's Mark. I hate having to roll 1d6+1d8 on attacks and at least that stops me from playing a Two-Handed Paladin.
>>
>>52086992
Play a War Cleric! Fucking everything is a d8, and all your nukes are d6.
>>
>>52086947
You could dip into some berserker barb and then you can literally flip the fuck out and bonus action bash people with your flail.
>>
>>52086947
Refluff Shield Master as you flipping the fuck out, mechanically the shove's source is irrelevant.
>>
>>52087010
My last game I was an Arcana Cleric with SCAG cantrips and Magic Initiate for Shillelagh. All d8's there as well. Before that I was an Elven Rogue and only used Short Swords and Short Bows and before that a Paladin with a Longsword. I might actually have OCD or something but I guess my shrink will find out.

>>52087017
>>52087031
Actually forgot about Shield Master and I think I'm gonna take that and use a Spear or Mace. Or maybe I'll just go with a Greatsword.
>>
>>52085011
A map and a few small encounters for each section of the world that you can expand upon on the table.
>>
When do Unearthed Arcanas come out?
Are they going to continue releasing one almost weekly?
>>
>>52087060
Shield master is always so underrated in my opinion. Have fun with it.
>>
File: 7sSVx1r.jpg (75KB, 490x457px) Image search: [Google]
7sSVx1r.jpg
75KB, 490x457px
Newfag to DnD here. I'm trying to build a lvl5 cleric and it seems like clerics are weird. They start with medium armor and a shield so from that it seems like WotC wants Clerics to be a combat class, but they also aren't proficient in advanced weapons and don't get an extra attack like all the combat classes do.

So what are clerics supposed to be good at? They suck at fighting and they can't cast spells as well as the mage classes. It seems like a no-man's land between the two.
>>
>>52087102
stop assuming you know things without reading the book
>>
>>52087102
Isn't it funny how books exist?
>>
Battle Master or Paladin of some kind, which will make a better roman badass.
>>
>>52087102
Yeah, go read the fucking book, nigger.
>>
>>52087102
The armor and shields are so you can survive better.
They're great spell casters, though. Don't assume otherwise.
>>
>>52087109
I read the PHB. No need to be a dick. You're not impressing anyone.
>>
>>52087102
RTFM, tata for now.
>>
>>52087102
Why don't you open the book, flip to the Cleric section and choke to death on it.
>>
>>52085032
Talk to your DM. Explain why you want to use those skills in those ways, and I know I'd go for it.
>>
File: 1451289574879.jpg (967KB, 850x1322px) Image search: [Google]
1451289574879.jpg
967KB, 850x1322px
>>52087102
Clerics are for healing and protective magic. Some clerics (Life domain, War, ect) are geared a bit more towards being tanks in melee combat, but aren't meant to outdamage paladins and fighters. It's the the tradeoff they gain for having alot of healing and protective magic. Some clerics (Light Domain) have some good damage magic, but not the versatility of a dedicated caster like a wizard. It's the trade they make for being more durable and having those armor/shield proficiencies.
>>
>>52087127
i don't see how you read the phb and came to the conclusions that you did, so maybe ask better questions idk.
>>
>>52087109
>>52087116
>>52087120
>>52087129
>>52087144

Well I hope being cunts makes you feel better. good job I guess.

>>52087125
Thanks. Specifically I was wondering about the trickster cleric? Seems like it lacks a certain 'oompha' to take advantage of all it's tricks. Like, maybe I would need to multiclass into rogue or fighter?
>>
>>52087190
>Thanks. Specifically I was wondering about the trickster cleric? Seems like it lacks a certain 'oompha' to take advantage of all it's tricks. Like, maybe I would need to multiclass into rogue or fighter?
if you're new just go straight cleric. you want to keep your spell casting progression, and third level spells are an important milestone.
>>
>>52087102
>They suck at fighting and they can't cast spells as well as the mage classes.
>CAN'T CAST SPELLS AS WELL AS THE MAGE CLASSES.

Reminder that Wizards, Warlocks, and Sorcerers can't learn any healing magic unless you're using retarded expansion content like the "Theurge" class.
>>
>>52087190
Sorry about that. I had a feeling you might've been a troll but apparently you're not. Trickster Cleric's not very good, like at all. Doesn't mean it's not fun but I'd honestly go for a multiclass into Monk to make up for your terrible Armour options and lack of Martial Weapon training..
>>
>>52087190
It's a pretty common multiclass to take a little dip into rogue or fighter to get more out of the trickster.

Problem with the trickster is that its illusion is a little vague in how it interacts a little bit. Still, if you go trickster cleric rogue you will be able to guarantee you get sneak attack as you'll have advantage.

Some DMs won't metagame and will have a chance of attacking the double. Others will say "fuck you" and will never attack the double. Would be a good idea to talk with your DM and see which one of those he is.
>>
>>52087080
Mondays, originally monthly, now (by schedule only) weekly. Weekly scheduling is planned to continue until the current drawing board of ideas has been exhausted, likely by the back half of June.

The first few months of the year tend to fuck with /tg/-relevant things that are scheduled for weekly monday releases here in the US, because there's a lot of holidays and conventions this time of year.
>>
>>52087207
I had a pretty fun trickster/mastermind cleric. Had him worship Beshaba in order to stave off bad luck.

Because a good plan doesn't need good luck. But bad luck can still fuck over a good plan.
>>
>>52087229
That's actually a good mentality for a PC, normally it's a "We have a million to one odds! Plot armour will save us from our suicidal plan though."
>>
File: multicultural.png (11KB, 218x104px) Image search: [Google]
multicultural.png
11KB, 218x104px
>>52087190
I'm gonna be straight up with ya, Trickster domain sucks. Usually the only domains worth playing are Life or Light, depending on whether you wana be more of a melee tank or have some actual magical firepower respectively.
>>
>>52087245
>Not being War Domain Holy Archer
>>
How can I run an adventure to a single player? I am just starting as a new DM, and so far, a one player adventure is my only option, I want to write something original, but I feel that because of my non-existing experience, I could kill the player quite easily, or make the adventure boring for him.
I kinda have a one shot at making D&D attractive to him, so any ideas for a quick 1 on 1 adventure?
Or just general tips for this kind of very personalized role-playing.
>>
>>52087245
Hey now don't discount tempest. Being able to max your damage for a nuke round and being able to hit people back when they hit you is pretty dope.

Plus you can fucking fly no con outside if your campaign gets into the higher levels.
>>
>>52087259
just make some more friends desu
>>
Does Archery Fighting style work for Javalins?
>>
>>52087245
I disagree, at least half of the Domains are worth taking for more than pure flavor reasons/
>>
>>52087254
This is actually a really fun build, do recommend.
>>
>>52087156
Thanks, Anon. That makes sense.

>>52087198
Gotcha, probably gonna ditch the trickster archetype for now. It's really cool but seems too weak in-game.

>>52087201
Good to know. Thanks.

>>52087245
Shit. I suspected as much. Kinda sucks that WotC can't balance this shit before they release it. I really, really like the idea of a trickster cleric but being underpowered the whole campaign isn't worth it.

So life and light are the only viable ones? What about war?
>>
>>52086541
About slogs (which your session was, apparently): https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=bK-PEoSav34
>>
>>52087281
>being underpowered
Again it depends on your DM. Is he gonna be open to you trying to avoid combat/coming up with interesting workarounds? If not, yeah, pick something more combat oriented.
These kinds of class archetypes work great, but again it depends on your DM.
>>
>>52087281
>Gotcha, probably gonna ditch the trickster archetype for now. It's really cool but seems too weak in-game.
honestly it would be fine. i'd just go for it if thats the character you want to make. cleric is a really strong chassis and if you're like 5% less optimal than another cleric who really gives a shit? its a team game anyway where anything can happen.
>>
>>52085406
No.
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 774x1032px
>>52085206
Okay, first off, here's what I'm doing for My warlord that I'm working on, because I thought you might prefer removing the Invigoration Dice Pool, and make it a little more like the 4e version while still making them a unique healer.

Inspiring Word: As an action, you can target an ally creature within Mine changes secondary stats depending on archetypeCHAx10 feet (minimum 10). That ally can spend a single hit dice immediately, to restore their hit points by a number equal to the result of their hit dice's roll, plus their constitution, plus your charisma.

At later levels you can target more creatures, and one of their mid tier upgrade abilities is that they can spend more hit dice. And every archetype has a freebie rider effect every time they restore hit points from the feature.

Basically it's almost unlimited use, but the resource, like everything else with Warlord, is reliant on your allies.
>>
>>52087281
>So life and light are the only viable ones? What about war?

War is fine. Most of the domains are playable, and in 5E, Trickster being bad doesn't mean that it's totally awful or anything. It's just not min-max approved like light/life. There's very, very few trap options in 5E (Way of 4 Elements, Fury Barb, Beastmaster Ranger). You would do fine as a trickster cleric as long as your DM was chill about your abilities. A 2 level dip into Illusionist would be solid.
>>
>>52087259
Honestly, solo campaigns are one of the hardest things to pull off effectively, but when done so make for a really good gaming experience for the Player and a good test of adaptability for the DM.

Word to the wise: Solo Campaigns should not play like Dark Souls. Take the focus away from being nigh-exclusively on combat. Exploration and roleplay-based NPC interaction should get plenty of time to shine.
>>
File: filthy degenerates.png (71KB, 482x428px) Image search: [Google]
filthy degenerates.png
71KB, 482x428px
>>52086225
Tumblr, please go.
>>
>>52087281
If you use your "perfect illusion" well, Trickery is good, but it probably has the weakest raw mechanics of any cleric domain. Poison damage is the worst type in the game, and it doesn't get many particularly strong, combat, domain spells. Dominate Person can be baller though.
>>
>>52087313
Found the wolfbeard.
>>
File: 1451288704977.jpg (480KB, 780x1165px) Image search: [Google]
1451288704977.jpg
480KB, 780x1165px
>>52087281
Light and Life are NOT the only viable domains, although they're the easiest to build effectively for without much knowledge of the game. Light gets a bunch of damage-spells and Life just gets free tankiness and extra healing, easy to figure out and take advantage of.

A few of the other domains take a bit more knowledge of the game to take advantage of.
War is viable, but not as good as fighter or paladin if you're just looking to bash things, you need more finesse or need to know strengths the cleric class brings to the table that more blunt options don't.
Knowledge is good if you don't have a skill monkey. Pretty self-explanitory looking at their class abilities, but kinda suck'ish in combat. Probably better off playing a bard DESU.
Tempest has alot of really neat little tricks, and becomes insane when multiclassed with casters that can do lightning/thunder damage... but on it's own don't expect it to play as easily as a sorcerer or a wizard.

Trickery Domain is kinda garbage. Even with multiclassing. /opinion Just go with Bard or Rogue instead if you wana be a tricky character.
>>
>>52087302
You shouldn't let it scale off two stats, and it can heal too frequently, it obsoletes short rest healing by being strictly better and taking 6 seconds instead of an hour.

Even compared to Cure Wounds its too good, and thats melee.
>>
>>52087324
One thing most people overlook is the Domain spell list.

War gets Hold Monster, Trickery gets Dominate Person, stuff like that can be really helpful and provide options a cleric doesn't normally have.
>>
>>52087337
Don't forget polymorph. A game breaking spell.
>>
>>52087352
That is highly up to DM-interpretation, as is the case with most vaguely-defined spells.
>>
>>52087302
I get what you're going for, but i'm inclined to agree with >>52087328

No limit healing based on hit dice alone is too powerful, and although hit points =/= meat points, inspiration can only do so much for an arrow wound. Invigorate is intended to be an emergency pick-me-up, compared to a Cleric's healing ability.
>>
>>52085011
Getting them together, just start them in the same place, halfway through a problem. Like they've been abducted and have to break out of a cave or something. Elder Scrolls start is best start.

Keeping them together should be their own work.
>>
>>52087371
Sure, but even without polymorphing into a T-Rex you can bypass a very dangerous encounter if your DM doesn't fudge dice rolls and the big bad fails on their save to turn into a frog. And that requires no interpretation.
>>
>>52087371
It's still a damned good spell, and adding it the cleric list is a definite boon. Which was the point.
>>
>>52087371

Not really. "I turn bad guy into sheep." "I turn good guy into T-Rex" are both RAW uses of the spell. It's really, really good.
>>
>>52087328
It's an attempt, yes. I suppose making it once or twice per character per rest would be more fitting But playing an Alchemist as a healer in a party has made me incredibly salty about how shit per character per day heals are in 5e., so possibly 1 per character per short rest, with a later upgrade to make it twice per character per short rest?
>>
>>52085198
Clarify what sort of fun.
>>
>>52087371
>polymorph enemy into a turtle
>bury him 6 feet underground
>polymorph ends
>it suffocates to death

And that is why trickster clerics should always carry a shovel.
>>
>>52085800
I like the Android 5e reference app, it's faster than skimming through all the books.
>>
>>52087371
Polymorph is the closest we've got to a low level save or die. Turning an enemy into a tiny animal with zero combat capability is pretty devastating.
>>
>>52087337
But his point still stand that it's better to play Bard rather than Trickery cleric if you want to go that route.
>>
>>52087441
> enemy ally didn't hit that 1 hp tiny animal to turn him back
>>
>>52087465
>>52087441
>polymorph enemy into tiny
>put enemy in small metal box
>cause damage
>victory
>>
>>52087454
A Trickery Cleric is still a cleric, and the Cleric is a damned good class. Pickup up some good non-cleric spells is a benefit they get, a similar, albeit less versatile, benefit to the Lore Bard, universally appreciated as it is.

The Trickery Cleric is going to do more damage with its weapons, heal as well or better, has medium armor, can Turn Undead, shield proficiency, has a better combat main stat, as its a "strong" saving throw, etc etc.
>>
>>52087465
>How many people other then a spellcaster who knows the spell or makes an Arcana check to know what the spell does, are going to hit their ally frog with a fucking axe hoping it saves them.
>>
>>52087484
While i agree that the average enemy wouldn't realize that, they WOULD rush the spellcaster.
>>
>>52087281
>>52087245
Trickery isn't bad at all. The spells are strong, the illusionary duplicate is strong and very versatile, as well as allowing you to convey TOUCH attacks -- and clerics have a lot of hot touch attacks like Contagion and Harm.
>>
>>52087487
Yeah if I saw someone turn my friend into an animal I'd try to kill the guy asap.

Though to take a tip from Shadowrun, "First, geek the mage".
>>
>>52087471
That would require several actions. Have your try capturing actual tiny animal in RL?
>>
>>52087276
No, unfortunately. Archery style requires a ranged weapon, and RAW (supported by Sage ruling) all thrown weapons are melee weapons, even if used to make a ranged attack.
>>
>>52087505
Which makes another positive point for the Trickery domain, it's much less appealing to rush down the guy with a shield and Half-plate when he turns your friend into a squirrel.
>>
>>52087509
See >>52087426
>>
>>52087454
There are other reasons you may want to be a cleric. For example, you may think your DM likes undead, and you may like having a power that causes all undead to remove themselves from the fight for the next TWENTY ROUNDS.

For reference, Maze is a level 8 spell that removes ONE target for an average of 20 rounds.
>>
>>52087483
> do more damage with its weapon
How? With its 1d8 once per turn poison damage that is the most common resist and immune in the game?

Valor Bard has better weapon, same armor and shield and extra attack

Lore Bard has Swift Quiver and better damage prevention.
>>
>>52087519
True, it's a solid domain. Another thing I don't think Trickery gets any credit for is their level 1 ability. Giving your whole team a Stealth boost as well as being able to cast Pass Without Trace, makes the whole team able to drop ambushes like crazy.
>>
File: bad.jpg (40KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
bad.jpg
40KB, 550x512px
I love how all this shit assumes that:
1. You'll be playing at a high enough level to have Polymorph.
2. The DM won't instantly ban "save-or-suck" Pathfinder cancer from the game.
>>
>>52087524
> implying the turtle can't bite itself to turn back into human
>>
>>52087538
You can't cast control spells or play at 7th level? I feel bad.
>>
>>52087540
>implying it can
>>
>>52087550

His table only allows wizards to take magic missile, scorching ray, and fireball. Must be a terrible place to play.
>>
>>52087550
Not him but I had 3 campaign died on me at level 6. The DM feel like he's losing control over PC challenge after we get Tiny Hut, Phantom Steed, Fly and other fun spells.
>>
>>52087550
>Save or suck spells availiable at 7th level.

And people say 5e fixed the Caster-Martial balance.
>>
>>52087540
Why would you assume the turtle knows that's an option?
If it's allowed to keep that level of intelligence then we can assume a party member can be polymorphed into a T-rex and keep that level of reasoning.
Also just pick the sucker up and don't give him a chance to bite himself.
>>
>>52087516
That is really disappointing.
>>
>>52087538
5e has ways for enemies to get around most spells, polymorph is even easier than most since you have extra outs.

Banishment, Dispel Evil and Good and Plane Shift are the real SoD spells, Plane Shift requires DM contribution, and Banishment/DEG are extremely niche.
>>
>>52087566
What a shit DM.
I was so fucking glad when I felt like I didn't need to supply midnight ambushes from time to time, and when players could take to the sky and pew pew like magic super fuckers.

When your players get to use fun shit you also get to use fun shit as a DM. Seriously. It's the fucking best.
>>
>>52087567
>One spell that everyone already knows is too good

Don't most martials get some kind of way to be better at Wisdom saves anyway?
>>
>>52087579
Only if your DM metagames like an asshole.
>>
>>52087558
To be fair, as a forever DM, I'd probably get pretty pissed if my players decided one day that they're going to end every encounter by turning the enemies into roaches and stomping on them. I'm not for banning everything in the game that's not raw damage, but at some point you have to ask yourself if you wana play DnD or a videogame.
>>
>>52087575
I hear ya. One of my favorite 3.pf characters was a knife-throwing rogue, and while I doubt I'll be as ludicrous damage-wise as a swift-ranged-feinting master thrower tossing 10 daggers per round, a little support for the style would be nice.

Suggested houserules, for your DM's consideration:
1. Thrown weapons count as ranged weapons when used to make a ranged attack. Throwing a dagger gets you the Arcfhery style bonus, shanking someone in melee doesn't.
2. Thrown weapons may be drawn as if they were ammunition. Because there's no reason someone who can shoot 4 arrows in 6 seconds shouldn't be able to toss 4 daggers in a similar timeframe.

Note that even with all of those, throwing is still inferior to using a longbow, or heavy crossbow with feat support, so it should be fine.
>>
>>52087590
>enemies should never use dispel magic, counterspell, attack spellcasters, or break polymorph
No wonder you think casters are too strong.
>>
>>52087592
>stomping on roaches you polymorphed

Only if your party is retards. The spell explicitly says it will revert back. That's the least effective use of polymorph.

Also, as a DM you shouldn't really be running solo monster encounters. That's just asking for them to murderfuck whatever it is you throw at them.
>>
>>52087601
No, I'm talking about the guy saying
>lol the turtle just bites himself to turn back

Enemy spellcasters should definitely be a thing. That's completely fine.
>>
File: 1457941998753.png (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1457941998753.png
143KB, 800x1000px
>>52087558
>>52087550
I love how only on /tg/ are people honestly retarded enough to think it's fun to play a game where every encounter can be ended in a single spell an the DM is doing something "wrong" for wanting more from his players.

In before retarded arguments about counter-measures like anti-magic everywhere. That's just turning the game into a competition of who can autismally rules-lawyer the hardest.
>>
>>52087426
>>52087471
>>52087538
>>52087601
Guys.

Polymorph is a concentration spell.

If the wizard polymorphs one guy, his butt buddies are immune to it as long as he maintains it. And if your DM is using a big boss monster, it either has legendary actions and legendary resistance, or it's a pushover.
>>
>>52087538
Nothing even slightly wrong with Polymorph, dude. Its a "disable one non legendary, and generally one non magic resistant opponent" spell.

>>52087567
It did.
>>
>>52087611
Stop fucking trying to apply logic here REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52087592

Well I mean, there's a couple of things about polymorph. It is powerful, yea, but it has a lot of ways around it/limitations.

>Doesn't affect shapechangers
>If they stomp the roach, it turns back into whatever it was
>Wis is often a strong save for monsters
>4th level spell slots are fairly precious at the levels where this strategy is prevalent making it high risk-high reward
>Takes concentration

Polymorph, and a lot of the control spells, are prime examples of why several moderately tough bad guys in 5E is a much tougher fight than one really strong one, particularly baddies with resistances. In all the games I've played, I've only seen it used offensively like once. And the MM hands out immunities to high level monsters like candy, so I don't think you would feel that bad if you toss out a couple of "Immunity: Polymorphs"
>>
Should I play a nuclear druid? I want to be megumin.
>>
>>52087592
The UA article about encounter design, and probably elsewhere, explicitly warns you to not use singular, non legendary creatures.

If you are throwing encounters that can be solved with Polymorph, its a fairly retarded, ultra swingy encounter anyway.
>>
>>52087611
>all wizard party
>take on dragon
>everyone casts polymorph one after the other until legendaries are burned
>dragon succumbs to the rabbit conversion
>>
>>52087610
Valid countermeasures to Polymorph:

1. There is more than one enemy.
2. There is only one enemy, its a legendary (aka one intended to be workable as a solo enemy).
>>
>>52087636
Or

>dragon rolls higher on initiative
>party gets breath weapon'd
>d6 hit die fuuuuuuck
>TPK
>>
>>52087610
Polymorph targets one enemy.

If there's one enemy an Rogue can sneak attack and run, a greatsword Fighter can action surge, a Paladin can super smite, a Monk can flurry stunning fists and a Barbarian can rage super grapple. Ranger's can't do much but they're shit anyway.

One target can't survive a group of PC's magic or no.

Polymorph's just another way that can be easily stopped if there's more then one enemy.
>>
File: Not sure if horrified or lul'd.gif (753KB, 200x86px) Image search: [Google]
Not sure if horrified or lul'd.gif
753KB, 200x86px
>>52087646
>Ranger's can't do much but they're shit anyway.

It's funny because it's true.
>>
>>52087654
I'll admit I laughed too.

I mean I guess if they're archers they can hunters mark then attack twice with sharpshooter and hope for the best?
>>
>>52087636
The wizards would be long dead before it fails FOUR FUCKING SAVING THROWS it has proficiency in, and in any normal party, the dragon would be dead long before it failed four fucking saving throws.
>>
>>52087664
I mean, ensnaring strike can be pretty good if they have low strength.

I guess their spells and class abilities seem to be focused around fighting lots of enemies so they can do that, kinda. No other martial and volley fire everything in a small radius every turn with Sharpshooter at least.
>>
File: smol.png (143KB, 906x378px) Image search: [Google]
smol.png
143KB, 906x378px
>>52087664
Dat extra 2d6 damage...
>>
>>52087643
>not being an 8 int mountain dwarf wizard
>not using absorb elements to take half damage
>then hitting it to death
>>
>>52087679
>four loremasters so the saving throw is for a different stat

:^)
>>
File: Horrified.png (422KB, 652x712px) Image search: [Google]
Horrified.png
422KB, 652x712px
>>52087689
>Allowing Loremaster in your game.

I bet you allow time-mages and Kitsunes from DandDwiki too.
>>
>>52087695
Hey, Kitsunes are alright for a oriental adventu-
>DandDwiki
Nope.
>>
>>52087689
And if you allow unofficial damage oriented characters, you can kill it even faster than that.
>>
>>52087695
Picky elf pls.
Loremaster does need testing before anyone can really claim it's broken Magic Missile boosting affects on a per-target basis, not each individual dart you fucking knobs

And before you say "Mind rape the King from a mile away!" How are you gonna see the King from a mile away to establish the spell?
>>
>>52087720
>Loremaster does need testing before anyone can really claim it's broken
See >>52087689
Pretending its not is disingenuous retardation.
>>
>>52087689
Lore Master has to be a bad joke. It's like they went
>"Hey remember how broken wizards were in Pathfinder?"
>"Yeah?"
>"Let's make a class like that in 5e, it'll be fucking hilarious."
>"Careful there, people might actually be retarded enough to actually bully their DMs into allowing it, even though it's a blatant joke."
>"Yeah man, that's the funny part."
>>
>>52087720
Loremaster is basically a Sorcerer with better metamagic and none of the downsides of a sorcerer. By that virtue alone it's broken, and that's not even counting all the other stuff wrong with it.
>>
What's the best Animal Companion for an Archery focused Ranger? If it changes anything I'm most likely going to be a Changeling.
>>
>>52087695
I actually do allow Loremaster reworked as a core Sorcerer improvement
>>
>>52087664
>>52087654
>>52087646
Eh, rangers being bad is an exaggeration.

Shooty rangers are pretty similar to fighters, except Horde Breaker instead of Action Surge, and Volley instead of Third Attack. Neither is "bad" at all.

For level 2 spells, Find Traps, Lesser Restoration, Protection from Poison, Silence, and Spike Growth are all great as far as what they do; Silence and Spike Growth themselves are virtually auto win with any form of coordination. And of course, auto pass audio stealth effects.
>>
>>52087783
With the revised version they're good. The original Hunter wasn't as bad as people say but the Beastmaster was awful.
>>
>>52087720
loremaster, while it seems incredibly fun to play, is very obviously overpowered. a loremaster can make his spells always target traditionally weak saves and choose damage types that are rarely resisted or into damage types that the enemies you encounter are vulnerable to. this isn't even a class capstone, it's a fucking level 2 feature. this also makes it really powerful multiclass bait for any other casters. all it's other features are also reasonably powerful.

>>52087767
would actually play sorcerer if this was a thing
>>
>>52087760
Giant Crab. Auto grapple and high health and AC.
>>
>>52087760
Owl can flyby Help action to grant you advantage while staying relatively out of harm's way. I'm pretty sure that works with ranged attacks.
>>
>>52087795

I did stipulate shooty rangers, not Pact of the Chain rangers.
>>
>>52087805
>>52087809
I just found a the Male Steeder. This looks like the single best thing I have a chance of convincing my DM to allow.

Though something small sized like the Owl would be better for infiltrating.
>>
>>52087636
When the rabbit drops to zero it turns back into a dragon, champ
>>
>>52087843
That's what the small metal box is for.
>>
>>52087825
Male Steeder damage is over the guideline of Animal Companion
>>
>>52087854
If the DM decides to be nice and go along with it, and it doesn't have any dragony/drakey/kobold sorcerous/fire elemental/what the fuck ever minions that can intervene, by all means. Remembering that with a bit of semen or a handful of scales a dragon can make quite a few minions for free.

The fact that it requires a mixture of bizarre, unofficial content, luck, and DM leniency is proof its not broken in the least.
>>
>>52087855
So's a wolf. The Steeder also allows a save and doesn't get advantage, though it is obviously powerful. Maybe I'll ask if I can remove the poison? Say it's an injured one I raised. Though it's still quite powerful.

Other options I thought of were a Diseased Giant Rat or a Poisonous Snake. They would be easier to sneak in as well.
>>
>>52087854
Assuming your 4 wizards can successfully catch and hold the rabbit, or other tiny beast, long enough to put it in the box, without doing damage to it and without the polymorpher breaking concentration.
>>
>>52087883
Any of the poisonous animals are above the damage guidelines, wolf is slightly above, but at least the average damage meets it./
>>
>>52087854
Which bursts when the huge dragon reappears
>>
Can anyone recommend a good tool for making dungeon maps?
>>
>>52087921
http://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/
>>
>>52087902
I'll give you a minute to work out the physics of why that still kills the dragon.
>>
>>52087900
Posionous Snake is 1 plus a Save for 2d4. That's really low honestly.

Diseased Rat is 1d4+2 and inflicts a Disease which only triggers every 24 hours.

Both are CR 1/4 and quite weak so I think I could get away with it.
>>
>>52087930
If you have to rely on extreme levels of DM fiat (in a game where expansion has never killed anyone) to prove something is broken, perhaps it isn't.
>>
>>52087930
The box bursts from the pressure and the dragon is free
>>
Has anyone tried tabletop simulator for their combat layout? What is your experience with it?
>>
Is there any particular guideline for what distance one may start making perception checks to notice a creature?

I'm referring to both visually (rule of thumb for when you could start perceiving a foe) and with hearing.
>>
>>52087964
The box frags from the force of impact due to instantaneous expansion.
>>
>>52087996
The dragon takes 1d3 damage from shrapnel. The force of the blast wave causes severe brain damage to the wizards, resulting in 3d6 points of permanent Intelligence loss that cannot be altered with magic, as well as permanently withered genitalia.
>>
>>52087996
That's gonna hurt the wizards more than the dragon most likely, because the box is expanding outwards away from the dragon.
>>
>>52087964
>>52088022
>>52088013
So the real problem here isn't the spell. It's the box strength.

Alternative hilarious plan: Polymorph dragon into rabbit. Put dragon into bag of holding. Allow spell to end.

Congratulations, you now have a tactical dragon bag.
>>
>>52088042
anything living inside a bag of holding dies after like 10 minutes right? more like tactical dragon corpse. even if it did work, imagine this scenario

>party captures dragon
>it's been in an infinite void for who knows how long
>it's angry that the party humiliated it by turning it into a rabbit then stuffing it in here
>even angrier that it can't do anything about it
>party gets into a tough fight
>decides its a good idea to release the dragon
>dragon comes out, kills entire party and the enemies

now you're back at square one
>>
>>52088042
No, you have a convenient, single-use way of dumping an unwanted dragon into the astral plane. Once the spell ends, the dragon is too large for the interior space of the bag, rupturing it and transporting the contents to the astral.
>>
>>52088042
>It's the box strength.

And the fact that any form of damage zone or flunky foils the spell, which is already borderline impossible to get off. Keep in mind the dragon can make all the guard drakes it needs for a few coppers, there's an entire species dedicated to serving them, there's an entire secret society dedicated to serving them, there's an entire order of clerics dedicated to serving them, etc. etc.
>>
>>52088042
It's a good way of banishing the dragon to the Astral Plane
>>52088078
>>52088042
It doesn't matter how strong the box is, it's magic.
>>
>>52088090
Magic that requires many, many castings of a precious daily spell to take effect, yet will be foiled by the dragon having even a single CR 1/8 minion.
>>
>>52087682
Now to be fair, ranger is more of a crowd control class. Hunter's mark exists so their single target damage isn't entirely useless.
>>
>>52088107
No, I mean that the box will just pop open to allow the expanding dragon no matter how tough it is

Anyway, the real reason this will never happen in a game is that then the DM will do it to players.

I think most players realize there is a limit to the BS tactics they can use because then the DM just uses them right back
>>
>>52088069
Use a bag of devouring instead
>>
So if I take a Stirge as my Animal Companion and use storm of claws and fangs, what the hell happens? I assume they would make an attack against all creatures and latch on to the last one because latching on to all of them's retarded.
>>
File: bugthing.jpg (58KB, 400x492px) Image search: [Google]
bugthing.jpg
58KB, 400x492px
>>52088153
The monsters are fused together into a horrifying fleshly collective.
>>
So my players just hit level 2, and one of them wants to go Circle of the Shepherd from the Druid UA. His character is kind of an urban Druid, themed around rats and garbage. What would be a good aura I could make for him, themed around rats?
>>
File: 552029-1329545055-1.jpg (163KB, 1450x913px) Image search: [Google]
552029-1329545055-1.jpg
163KB, 1450x913px
>>52088119
>be wizard
>send dunk-ass apprentices w/ scrolls of Polymorph to capture party
>barely manage to pop-off enough successful castings to turn the entire party into frogs
>party stuffed into bag of holding
>spell wears off while dunk-asses are returning to my tower
>mfw my apprentices show up with a ruptured bag
>>
>>52088179
Stealth bonus and disadvantage against poison and disease? I don't know what the Druid's poison and disease options are but most likely crap.

Maybe allies deal an extra 1d6 poison damage once per turn?
>>
So are there any particular rules for what one may and may not use as a mount? I was thinking of rewarding a halfling paladin with a mimic mount; she could possibly use it as power armor of a sort, though mechanically it would work as any other mount.
>>
>>52088090
Indestructible magic box vs polymorph spell. That would be interesting.
>>
>>52088206
>>52088179
Contagion is definitely good. I approve of the disease and poison disadvantage aura.
>>
>>52088187
>not giving them a way to teleport back to the tower tower
>>
>>52088230
>trusting apprentices with teleportation
>>
I've got a campaign coming up that I'm GMing.

PCs are a Half-Orc Champion Fighter, a Human Knowledge Cleric, a Tiefling Tomelock, a Dragonborn Bard, and a Paladin of unknown race. In what ways are they likely to break the game and trivialize encounters? We're playing core only.
>>
>>52088224
Disease and poison disadvantage and maybe allies get advantage on Stealth checks. Honestly there's some cool things Shepard Druids can do and summoning an army of Diseased Rats and Poisonous Snakes is up there.
>>
>>52088245

The cleric and bard may conceivably abuse Planar Binding (collecting incapacitated celestials/fey/fiends as pokemon). If you don't like this angle, you could always have an enemy Dispel Magic their entourage, freeing the horde. This is pretty rare, though.

If the Bard goes College of Lore, they may figure out stupid shit from other class lists to use.
>>
>>52088245
Your fighter is Crit City, and the bard is his primary enabler. Beware Faerie Fire.
>>
>>52088245
You probably don't have to worry too much with that party makeup. Just remember that multiple enemies > single boss encounters, unless the boss has legendary and lair actions. Once you get a few sessions in you should have a feel for their capabilities; if they're trashing CR-appropriate encounters, feel free to step it up a bit.
>>
>>52085806
Stop showing off
>>
>>52085800
The absolute best im always using is 5e spellbook
>>
>>52086144
Found the postmodernist
>>
>>52088257
Fortunately for me, I don't think the players would do this on purpose.

Maybe the bard.

>>52088258
This feels like the biggest threat right out the gate. Thanks.

>>52088265
Yeah, but that's why you give the boss a couple of mooks for a distraction, right?
>>
>>52088485
Exactly. And design them to split the party up, too. Boss is a melee beatstick? His lieutenants are either archers or mages, depending on how much you hate your party.
>>
One of my players (wizard) keeps chromatic orbing everything.. he uses up all his slot 1 s on "weak" orbs and spams ch orb on higher levels.. by the time he runs out of all his slots all enemies are dead... how can i make these scenarios more interesting ?
>>
>>52088528
Magic resistant enemies, ore enemies with access to absorb elements.

Or have a thief steal the component for the spell. A big fuckoff diamond is valuable.
>>
>>52087883
Wolf attack is 7. 7 isnt higher than 8.
>>
>>52088547
Damn that just gave me an idea..
A rival adventurers group ! Its a 4v4

Enemy mage can cast counterspell and absorb elements.. dang im loving the idea
>>
>>52088528

I don't see the issue, is he trivializing the encounters somehow with just putting out single target damage? Are they only doing one encounter per adventuring day? What level is the party?
>>
>>52088528
Wheres he getting all these diamonds from
>>
I'm sick of how utterly shit pathfinder is, does 5e fix the horrible bloat and billions of pointless and poorly written rules?
>>
>>52088669
You do realize that Chromatic Orb doesn't consume the diamond, right?
>>
>>52088669
Material components aren't consumed unless the spell says they are.
>>
Is Swashbuckler/Battlemaster good multiclass?
>>
>>52088528
>>52087538
> People complaining about caster doing damage and caster using battlefield control spells in the same thread

What do you actually want caster to do????
>>
>>52088708
Fuck off, I guess.
>>
>>52088528
The only problem I'm seeing is that somehow encounters are being overcome via a pretty subpar spell. Are you just throwing 1 big monster at a time or what?
>>
On more narrative games I always have creative ways to use the battlfield. How come my grouos IQ goes down when we play D&D? Just end up hitting monsters till theybdie instead of using terrain features or the like? I mean we do it in other games.
>>
>>52088726
[Spoiler]actually two fleshgolems against lvl 6 [/spoiler]
>>
>>52088528
>One of my players (wizard) keeps chromatic orbing everything
>how can i make these scenarios more interesting ?

uh, give the party encounters appropriate to their level?

Chromatic Orb isn't even that good a spell.
>>
>>52088700
yes, i'm playing one and it's pretty boss
>>
>>52088754
Maybe DM fault for not being descriptive about environment?
>>
>>52088769
How do they deal with being swarmed with low cr monsters?
>>
>>52088769
That's pretty easy.
>>
Is it possbile for a non psionic to become one?
>>
>>52087939
My bad, i assumed you meant Giant Poisonous Snake, which meets everything but the poison damage.
>>
File: 1486469542664.jpg (26KB, 343x354px) Image search: [Google]
1486469542664.jpg
26KB, 343x354px
>>52088754
1. Play a character with a more diverse skillset.
2. Have your DM actually put things in the fucking environment.
3. Think about your foes, and consider options other than 'let's just hit it'. Some monsters have extremely strong close range damage but no ranged attacks, so maybe kiting it is better?
4. Think of creative uses for things you've obtained. If your DM doesn't give you anything, then again, that's the DM's fault.
5. Have your DM stop playing mindless monsters that know no self-preservation and only know how to murder adventurers. If a monster tries to run, aquire back-up, use its own odd tactics or use the environment itself it can spice things up a lot as it encourages players to think, 'Maybe we should grapple the enemies and THEN clobber them to death so they don't escape? Maybe we should surround them before they try escaping so they have to disengage?'
>>
So my players are hunting a yeti for their beginning quest. They got attacked by some wolves and befriended a giant (I brought them to level 2 at the end of session 1 since they're all new) and I'm planning out the yeti's lair. I want to have things in there they can use against it as I imagine he might pose a challenge to this collection of 5 complete newbies.

They're currently in a region experiencing a 2 week blizzard, any suggestions on things to drop around them to try and make sure their first real adventure doesn't end in misery?
>>
>>52087695
I have a Chronomancer in my game.

He's not too much of a problem (except his cantrip always having advantage, that's dumb).
>>
>>52088907
>"If the game is bad it's the DM's fault!"

Mearls plz go
>>
>>52088908
Unless the yeti has back up it's going to get skullfucked.
>I want to have things in there they can use against it
Maybe some kind of unused traps left behind by a hunting party that froze to death.
>>
>>52088963
I was thinking maybe there'd be a wolf in there trying to help it.

I realize I shouldn't baby them, but I don't want to have all of these first time players get really turned off the game if the yeti just smashes them to bits.
>>
>>52088824
Yes. Exceptional people with the mental capacity and fortitude can indeed awaken their minds. This is represented by having an Intelligence Score of 13 or greater, and taking a level in Mystic upon achieving the requisite amount of XP to reach the next Character Level.

Generally this is thematically justified by the character in question having meditated and somehow been touched by the influence of the Far Realm.
>>
>>52088962
While the same is true of any system, 5e is designed around giving the DM simple and easy construction of a world and environment and to easily construct on the spot rules for improvisation.

The rate at which DM ability improves game quality is larger, but also the rate at which game quality decreases with a bad DM is larger than, say, 4e.

In any case, 5e isn't designed to be 100% combat focused anyway. Though my main problem with that is the rests kind of expect you to have many combats in a day. So, gritty realism, 1 week long rest solves that I guess. Make rests however long they need to be to keep the right encounter:rest ratio.
>>
>>52088992
How about a benevolent ice spirit that gives them some kind of boon to give them advantage against chilling gaze or resistance to cold damage

Maybe a small case with a few vials of alchemic fire could be found, to help them discover the yeti's weakness if they don't already know/the caster doesn't just spam firebolt
>>
>>52088999
>5e isn't designed to be 100% combat focused anyway

Judging by the pagecount, I'd say about 90% at least.
>>
>>52089019
Pagecount is a bad indication of the focus of the game. Certain concepts require more words to fully describe than others, especially if you're only looking at the PHB.
>>
>>52089019
Pagecount of what? Pagecount of what's about combat and what isn't?

Because all those spell pages include non-combat spells in them.
All those classes include non-combat features in them.
Et cetera.
>>
>>52088754
Well in a proper narrative game I'd say "I swing across the room on the chandelier and kick the bad guy in the chest" and I'd do a single roll with a bonus for performing a cool stunt.

In D&D I'd have to roll an Athletics check to jump to the chandelier and an Acrobatics check to swing across the room and then an unarmed attack (without my proficiency bonus) to deal what? a single point of bludgeoning damage?
>>
File: Um... right....jpg (133KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Um... right....jpg
133KB, 1920x1080px
>>52088710
I mean, that's not a wrong answer. Low/No magic games have a certain appeal to them too.

DnD isn't the system for those games, but they do have appeal.
>>
>>52089050
Well I'd say a single Acrobatics check then a shove prone against the enemy. With Advantage of course.
>>
>>52089059
>DnD isn't the system for those games, but they do have appeal.
Agreed. I personally don't mind casters/wizards in 5e, but I do get the impression that people that don't like them just want them to not exist.

For example, my DM banned wizards outright in his game.
>>
>>52089050
A good DM either won't require flavor skill checks OR will give a benefit.

Personally, it'd be one acrobatics check, fail is prone and fall depending on height, success is shove up to 15 feet and 1d6+str, no proficiency on attack roll unless monk or tavern brawler.
>>
>>52089066
So I get to roll twice on my shove attempt (Advantage) at the cost of having to roll an extra time before even getting to attempt to shove the enemy (the Acrobatics check)?

And in the latter example, I probably suffer some penalty (falling on my ass) if the extra check fails?

Sounds like a pretty bad deal to me.
>>
>>52089050

You'd "have" to do whatever the DM asks you to, and the result would be whatever the DM decided on. Nothing prevents your game from being like what you described except an unimaginative, boring DM.
>>
>>52089077
As someone who used to be one of those people, I feel like alot of them were scarred by the fact that magic in 3.5/Pathfinder was literally like playing a videogame with mods, and allowed to outright skip or end most encounters with a single spell if they prepared correctly. Vestiges of this still linger on in 5e, a little, such as with the "Identify" spell which completely bypasses the point of having an Arcana skill or having to research/experiment with a magical item... but those things are rare fringe examples, in 5e you generally can't skip 90% of a campaign with magic unless you're abusing Wish all the time.
>>
>>52089095
Well the swing would only be around a DC 12 in my games, and a DEX focused character would make it pretty easy. The shove prone would most likely key of the same ability in my mind.

So yes if you're acrobatic, built to benefit from being an acrobat and ask "Hey, can I use acrobatics to do this". You have something to gain, a Wizard however will not do awesome swashbuckling stunts.
>>
>>52089101
My players try to skip most encounters with Dimension Door, Wind Walk, Polymorph, or Move Earth.
>>
What are the best uses of wish? Like spells that are permanent and costly, but can be done instantely and free
ones I've figured
>using it cast hallow super fast and for free
>using it to cast planar binding super fast and for free
>free horse companion
>free familiar
>>
>>52089095
Yes well, if you wanted it to be "i do a thing" and roll once, you would be playing a game that facilitated that rather than one that asks you to consider the possibility of consequences for failure beyond simply failing to act.
>>
>>52089129
Simulacrum. Just don't chain simulacrums unless you hate your dm.
>>
Guys help me out with some plot points.
My group found a map of an island that belonged to a mercenary group. The mercs were top tier and eventually build a base of operations on the island. The thing is, everybody on the island has died 50 years ago.

The small town is looks alive from the outside, even looking through windows you see people and lights burning. Once you enter a building it's deserted empty and aged. The souls on the island are reliving the same week over and over.
The fortress where the mercs train and work is where the source of a curse is comming from

I can see the whole island infront of me but I don't know how I should put the story in it's place. How did they get cursed and how to remove it. What kind of enemy encounters?

Group is 3rd level
>>
>>52089050
That's a case of a shit DM.

'Oh, you have proficiency in athletics and high strength? I'm just going to say you can make the jump, no problem if you have a 10ft run-up start, as there is a base no-roll long jump anyway'
'Okay, I'm going to require at least an acrobatics roll to make sure you land roughly in the right position to get your bonuses.'
Then
'Oh, you crit your athletics check. Tell you what, I'm going to say you just crit your attack, too. [Describe what happens]'
'Oh, you succeeded. I'll give you advantage, and then you [Attack with unarmed if a monk, attack with a weapon striking down otherwise, etc etc] to see if you hit. You might knock them prone or do more damage if you hit.'
'Oh, you failed by a small bit. Well, you land, but don't quite get the angle you'd hope for, but you can still attack as normal.'
'Oh, you failed by a lot. You land and have to go into a roll, so you're prone. You might have enough speed to stand up and attack, however.'
'Oh, you rolled REALLY badly. You fumble on the chandelier... And you get stuck in it. Do you want to try throwing something anyway or do you want to try getting yourself ready to jump off next turn? At least enemies can't hit you from up there.'
>>
>>52089129
Make clones and put them in demiplanes for free.

Revive people for free.

Make a simulacrum army for free.

It's broken, Jim.
>>
>>52089147
>How did they get cursed and how to remove it
Experimenting with magical weapons or artefacts, when they fucked up and triggered a magical effect that wiped them out.
Ending the curse could be as simple as locating the item responsible and deactivating it/disenchanting it so the curse ends. The challenge is in working out what happened, then getting through the fortress.
>What kind of enemy encounters?
Specters, shadows and so on would probably make the most sense.
>>
>>52089159
>Make a simulacrum army for free.
>Lose the ability to cast wish after the third one because you didn't read the fine print
>>
>>52089191
No, I saw this exact discussion last week. It doesn't. Simulacrum armies do not hinge upon omitting any part of the simulacrum spell.
>>
>>52089191

What? You never even have to cast Wish yourself. Just prepare it.

1. Cast Simulacrum, targeting yourself.
2. Long rest.
3. The simulacrum casts Wish, duplicating Simulacrum, targeting you.
4. Repeat step 3.
>>
I really wish Ranger inherited the AA imbue arrow type shit, either as an archetype or a spell (why they didn't get Elemental Weapon as a spell when they got Absorb Element in TOEE is beyond me).

Also I kinda wish hiding weapons was conceptually easier since afaict it would be an opposed Sleight of Hand vs Investigation type thing, and only like two classes get it.
>>
>>52089147
>How did they get cursed
Magic macguffin that was brought back as a spoil of war. One of the recruits stole it and accidentally triggered it's powers

Or the mercenaries' success came as a result of a fiendish bargain. When they could no longer keep their end of the deal their souls were claimed, but the fiend makes them replay the week to entertain him.
>>
So i'm about to run Tyranny of Dragons. How fucked am i?
>>
>>52089401
hahaha. good luck.
>>
>>52089551
any advice?
>>
A NEW WEEK COMING SOON AND I KNOW I'LL JUST BE DISAPPOINTED WHEN THE MYSTIC ISN'T RELEASED ON MONDAY.
>>
>>52089562
Don't kill yourself during the caravan part
>>
>>52089769
any other pitfalls i should avoid?
>>
How do I into DnD? I want to start playing but I've never done a pen-and-paper RPG before and I would have no idea where or how to start
>>
>>52089834
Honestly if you can endure the boredom of the caravan, the pointlessness of the part in Thay and the awful fight with Severin it should be fine.
>>
>>52089859
Don't be autistic would be a good start.
Sadly many that you might be playing with may be freakishly autistic, especially if it's in a public venue.
You have no friends who play table top rpgs?
>>
>>52089912
>You have no friends who play table top rpgs?
No, sadly. I have a couple friends who are interested, but only one of us has experience with PnP and I wouldn't trust him to DM because he's a devious asshole who would just set traps for everyone
>>
>>52089907
well i might use the teleportation circles from SKT to skip the caravan unless the party need a bit more exp
>>
>>52089930
You could try out adventure league or find a beginner game on roll20. I haven't actually tried roll20 and adventure league varies from locale to locale so I'm not sure how it'll play out for you
>>
>>52089930
Telling a collaborative story with the players is the main thing as a DM, but
>he's a devious asshole who would just set traps for everyone
is also what DMing is all about. Get him to run Mines of Phlandelver for you guys, that way you all get to learn the rules as you go.
>>
File: Aradia.jpg (909KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Aradia.jpg
909KB, 1024x768px
What does /tg/ think of my first attempt with Inkarnate?
>>
>>52090156
what the fuck are those rivers?
>>
File: what.png (115KB, 257x232px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
115KB, 257x232px
>>52090156
What vile sorcery is this
>>
>>52090156
>those rivers
Triggered, desu

(seriously, the weird spiraling the middle river does to go north is something that only happens if there's hills in the way, you can look at the PNW, the Rhine or the Trent for examples; also tributaries go IN the river, they don't flow out of it unless it's a small, relatively contained coastal delta like the Amazon or the Nile, but deltas don't spread across that wide)
>>
>>52090156
River guidelines:
>rivers converge
>rivers don't diverge
>rivers flow from high ground to low ground
>rivers are winding
follow this and you're good to go
>>
>>52089964
My main concern is that he will do nothing but fuck with us and do nothing to create an engaging campaign.
>>
>>52087767
>Spell Points instead of slots
>Expanded Spell lists
>More metamagic (lore sorcerer spell secrets as a metamagic, divided between lesser and greater)
>Improved metamagic (either as options for more points or just buff it like sculpt magic instead of careful spell)
>Lesser metamagic at 3 (twinned, subtle, lesser distant, empowered, careful, quickened, heightened, lesser spell weaving changing damage type to fire, cold, poison, lightning, necrotic, and acid
>Level 10 feature now change a spell on a long rest and greater metamagics (sculpted, maximized, greater distant, and greater weaving radiant, psychic, thunder and save changes
>Level 17 feature now exploding dice up to Cha Mod (does not work with maximized) and for each exploded die a sorcery point is regained
This is what I do. I just need to figure out how to change wild magic sorcerer's exploding die into something.
>>
>>52087679
Send in a monk for up to 5 saving throws per round against the dragon being stunned. If it doesn't use its legendary resistances, it just does jack shit for a turn.
>>
>>52090263
Then have one of yourselves, other than him, run it.
>>
File: Aradia2.jpg (913KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Aradia2.jpg
913KB, 1024x768px
>>52090248
>>52090212
>>52090195
>>52090224
Better?
>>
>>52087190
The thing to know about trickster domain is that you aren't a rogue. You are the guy who assists rogues. Its spell list is good but its features are weaker.
>>
>>52086990
Luciano de Moraes Petersen
>>
>>52090621
>>
>>52090495
The lower two rivers should have a different source than the river that snakes back north.

If that was the intent of the revision then disregard. Also the terrain south of that long ass river is probably hilly/low mountains.
>>
>>52090711
Pls >>52090794
>>
>>52087318
>Pass without trace is so stealthy, people don't even notice it on stealth cleric.
>>52087533
You're ruining my joke here.
>>52087484
It's like playing with wowscrubs all over again.
>>52087516
Well darts and nets aren't melee weapons. Some people get that mixed up.
>>52087608
There's no stats for turtle, but the lizard has ac 10, 2hp, +0 to hit for 1 damage. It takes the lizard at least two turns, and frequently more, to end the spell that way. The killer whale is really good for this, actually. It can't even run away.
>>
>Trickery has charm person, disguise self, mirror image, pass without trace, blink, dispel magic, dimension door, polymorph, dominate person (Shouldn't this be monster?), modify memory

>A good bard/sorcerer/wizard/artificer spell (disguise self)
>A good bard/druid/sorcerer/warlock/wizard spell (charm person)
>A good druid/ranger spell (pass without trace)
>A good sorcerer/warlock/wizard spell (mirror image)
>A good sorcerer/wizard/artificer spell (blink)
>A good bard/CLERIC/druid/paladin/sorcerer/warlock/wizard spell (dispel magic)
>A good bard/sorcerer/warlock/wizard spell (Dimension door)
>A good bard/druid/sorcerer/wizard spell (polymorph)
>A good bard/wizard spell (modify memory)
>A good warlock/sorcerer/bard spell (Hold monster)

Only one spell is a cleric spell. Two aren't even wizard spells.
In any case, trickster seems a good choice if you don't have a wizard. That's a lot of great utility to have always prepared.
>>
Playing a half orc samurai fighter. Just hit fourth level. Should I bump my STR to 18 or grab great weapon master? The bonus action advantage is tempting me to go for the feat but I feel like I'll benefit more from the STR consistently since I'm not entirely sure my accuracy is high enough to make it work.
>>
>>52091429
Stats first. You get another ASI in two levels anyway.
>>
What are some of the more useful familiars? Yes I realize you can sort of change them out freely but I mostly plan on having one with at least a default form? I feel like the birds are probably advantaged significantly by flight but I'm curious if there are other useful ones.

This isn't for a wizard btw but instead an eldrich knight.
>>
>>52091429
low level GWM is pretty terrible because low prof bonus+low attack stat
Thread posts: 362
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.