[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me create a new Table Top RPG system.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Elegen/tg/entlemen I call upon you! Help me create a new Table Top RPG system.

Something that only uses 1 - 2 different kinds of dice, and is simple enough create characters and play within 2 hours (with new players).

I came up with an idea that I call "stretched d3" where you roll a d6, half the number, then round down (with a minimum of 1), giving you results of: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3. I want to incorporate this somehow.
>>
>>52070844

>Levelling:
You do not level up; you simply gain perks/feats/extra traits from certain achievements. For example you cannot become proficient with a bow, when you aren’t very experienced with it in the first place. You may be required to gain certain traits before doing certain actions.

>Energy:
Every action costs (?) energy points. More physically straining actions cost more. Casting some spells also cost energy.
>>
>>52070844
>Combat:
Roll dice to determine how many actions you can take on your turn (stretched d3?).
--
>1. A creature declares an attack
>2. Target creature rolls “Reflex” against attacker’s “(Weapon) Skill”
>3. Depending on roll, target can choose to: Dodge, Block or Parry. If target fails/attacker succeeds it is a hit.
>4. If the target takes a hit, or chooses to block, they roll an armour save. Armour save will block an amount of damage based on roll and armour type (heavy, medium, light).
>5. Resolve all on hit effects (magic, poison etc.).

>Magic:
No-one starts with any spells. You must find spells along your journey, and learn them through study. Nearly all spells require material components, and are usually detrimental to physical or mental health.

>Weapons: Physical weapons do flat damage (no damage roll) with a modifier based on strength score.
>>
>>52070844
>Attributes/Abilities:
--
Willpower: Magic Resistance?

Fortitude: Hit Points, armour save?

Endurance: Energy Points

Perception: Reflex, Awareness

Dexterity: Reflex, Weapon Skills

Strength: Weapon Damage

Wisdom: Automatic puzzle solving ability…?

Intelligence: Magical Ability, Comprehension (Ability to learn new spells).
>>
>>52070844
>>52070848
>>52070859
>>52070868
(Post was too long had to split it up).
>>
>>52070883
Since there are no other threads up shall this be Homebrew general?

As for your idea it sounds interesting and could be decent, though I do wonder if halving the d6 is a needed step.
>>
>>52071140
Then it shall be Homebrew General.
>>
>>52071552
Great because I have been working on something a little similar.

This system is more of a simplistic system that relies on a d6 die and are affected by player skills and weaknesses.

Also a thought for yours, >>52070868
would it be better to merge will power and wisdom?
>>
>>52071589
>would it be better to merge will power and wisdom?

No, they are entirely different things. For example, a simpleton could be extremely strong headed and resistant to charms.

I was actually considering removing wisdom entirely.
>>
>>52071618
may be a good idea as its roll in other systems often falls under magic or perception etc which you have already covered with willpower and intelligence.
>>
>>52071589
That's a cool concept by the way. Way further along than my scrapped together rules. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>52071649
Cheers, its mostly in playtest atm and ensuring there is nothing missing.

The Handbook is meant to cover rules, character creation, rules advice and an example basic setting for those struggling.
>>
>>52071658
I solved character creation by just about removing it, other than deciding stats/attributes.
I still haven't figured out how that will work though.
I've come up with one idea: everyone has flat 10/20/100 points to each score, then choose a number of feats/perks that will modify them.
>>
>>52071707
Two options available to you would be to either come up with a crazy idea and playtest it to see how it runs or see if anyone has done anything similar and if it worked.

Personally I find organizing my ideas/ mechanics on an organised document in the sequence of use/ addition to character creation can help give clarity.
>>
What are some clever ways you've seen to implement initiative? I'm especially looking for a way to lighten the load of the GM when he has a whole bunch of enemies to manage.
>>
>>52071793
A reflex stat?
Out of 50 or 100 so two creatures rarely have the same score.
>>
>>52071793
I've seen a couple in homebrews.

One is designated init keeper. Someone other than the DM calls the order so he has the free attention span to manage the opposition. You can have a quick high/low roll takes it mechanic if no one volunteers. This was eventually combined with the enemies taking group inits: One init roll for skellies, one for zombies, one for neromancer, groups always move from the left side of the grid to the right, i.e. leftmost skellie goes first on skellie init.

The other was group init based on the RP that led to the fight. Players+NPCs are Group A, enemies are Group B. Whichever group makes the attack/pulls the weapon/springs the ambush that sets the fight in motion goes first. players in Group A decide who goes first based on a plan or who speaks first or whatnot, only roll against each other if there's a dispute as to who is next to go, in which case it was d6+dex. Small dice makes the dex score more meaningful, but still leaves some random in the mix as opposed to flat dex.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.