[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was Galbatorix's tax policy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 33

File: Eragon_novel.jpg (338KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Eragon_novel.jpg
338KB, 600x900px
What was Galbatorix's tax policy?
>>
>>52069181
Since as I recall in the book he spent his first century of rule holed up in isolation, I imagine he didn't personally have one.
>>
>>52069181

The author knew jack shit, and that is why there was a tax policy, and it was meme level. Oppressive tyrant and his oppressive taxes take everything and leave you to starve. If I recall correctly.
>>
>>52069455
>>52069399

What, in contrast, was the Varden's tax policy?
>>
>>52069181
I'm pretty sure he didn't tax at all/taxed very lightly.
They didn't see him as a bad ruler because of taxes.
They saw him as a bad leader because he slaughtered the main source of law and order, imposed a massive monarchy/dictatorship, went to war with just about everyone, and then fucked off into his castle for about a century to try and figure out the secret to reality.
Sure, he was a tyrant, but in the end he had convinced himself he was doing the right thing.
His problem wasn't greed, or desire for omnicide.
He just had a twisted idea of what would be best for the world.
>>
Daily reminder that Galbatorix did nothing wrong.
>>
File: my face when murder.jpg (31KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
my face when murder.jpg
31KB, 500x390px
>eragon
>dragon
>literally one letter up the alphabet

>Only three soldiers remained alive. Arya was grappling with two of them some distance away while the third and final soldier fled south along the road. Gathering his strength, Eragon pursued him. As he narrowed the gap between them, the man began to plead for mercy, promising he would tell no one about the massacre and holding out his hands to show they were empty. When Eragon was within a arm's reach, the man veered to the side and then a few steps later changed direction again, darting back and forth across the countryside like a frightened jack-rabbit. All the while, the man continued to beg, tears streaming down his cheeks; saying that he was too young to die, that he had yet to marry and father a child, that his parents would miss him, and that he had been pressed into the army and this was only his fifth mission and why couldn't Eragon leave him alone? "What have you against me?" he sobbed. "I only did what I had to do. I'm a good person!"
"Why are you doing this? You're a monster!" screamed the man. With an expression of pure terror, he made an attempt to dash around Eragon and return to the road. Eragon overtook him in less than ten feet, and as the man was still crying and asking for clemency, Eragon wrapped his left hand around his neck and squeezed. When he relaxed his grip, the soldier fell across his feet, dead.
>>
>>52069492
Well, since the books literally end ten minutes after they change from a revolutionary movement being sheltered by other countries into a real country, I imagine that didn't have one either within the contents of the book.
>>
>>52069455
lolwut
His taxes weren't bad at all.
What was bad was his gestapo tier police/military, who would do anything anywhere to anybody in the name of the empire.
Not to mention his attempts to restrict information.
>>
File: Taxes.png (7MB, 3000x2756px) Image search: [Google]
Taxes.png
7MB, 3000x2756px
>>52069181
>>
>>52069514
What is the context of this?

>>52069559
>what about second bailout?
Kek
>>
>>52069586
Context was they were alone in hostile territory, and if they left him alive they'd be caught and killed. Might've also been some magic shit about not wanting to leave memories/evidence of them being there.

I seem to recall protagonist had a good old breakdown over the morality of it that night, requiring a good deal of reassuring from his beau.

Of course, the fact that this passage comes relatively shortly after he goes to great lengths to keep a different person alive makes it a bit incongruous, but the circumstances were fairly different.
>>
>>52069514
As a sidenote here: the Drakengard and Eragon settings are highly compatible and I would actually be kind of interested in a crossover.
>>
>>52069586
In Eragon, the "magic language" can be spoken by anyone, however you can only say the truth in it. This means you can force people to swear fealty in it, and they will be forced to obey you.
Most of the BBEG's soldier's were forced to make such an oath.
So essentially, no matter what that guy said he'd do, he'd still tell his superiors about it.
And they were deep in enemy territory, all alone, so Eragon had to kill him, or risk him and his main love interests deaths/capture.
>>
>>52069618

While the reasoning is pragmatic, the way it's written paints Eragon as pretty ruthless. Which doesn't feel like the kind of person Tortellini wanted to write.
>>
Was Roran /ourguy/?
>>
>>52069667
read
>>52069659
The soldier was essentially a slave to his superior's will.
Besides, it does get expounded on later, with Eragon hating himself for doing it.
>>52069682
>Big, Buff, hammer wielding badass who, as nothing more than a peasant, stood toe to toe with some of Galbatorix's finest planners/fortresses/warriors and still whooped ass.
He's everyone's guy, easily one of the more likable and relatable characters.
>>
>>52069622
I'd read the shit out of a drakengard book, but it would have to be written by an author that understood the esoteric and hopeless nature of the setting and its source material.
>>
>>52069667
Of course it fucking does. It's in the last book I believe, the point where Eragon's meant to be facing some difficult moral questions- whether to kill, what to do with his enemies, etc. The enemy soldier is exaggeratedly innocent and helpless to give those decisions extra gravity and meaning.

And, again, of course it does- it stripped out the context. I'm pretty sure the very next sentence is something like 'Eragon retched onto the ground, feeling horrible about what he'd done', then three paragraphs later they're debating the necessity of the act.

I'm not saying that when I went back to read the book I found it perfect or without glaring flaws.
>>
>>52069682
Roran should have gotten that hammer enchanted or some shit, he earned it.
>>52069715
The element of surprise and some actual brains can do more than a lot of magic, that's for sure.
Also
>Eragon literally deleted the secret to the magic language from his head
WHY
HE COULD HAVE DONE SO MUCH FUCKING GOOD WITH THAT.
>>
"Fairest man and ruggedest elf" what kinda bullshit half-elf agenda's getting pushed
>>
>>52069744
>Roran should have gotten that hammer enchanted or some shit, he earned it.

Roran was a big guy for you and me
>>
>>52069765
The hell's wrong with a cross-breed looking like a cross-breed?
>>
>>52069744
1. He did get a few enchantments, but I think he felt sentimental about the hammer.
2. I don't remember that bit.
I do think he did a few things, but eventually decided he would avoid using it, so he could avoid becoming another Galbatorix.
>>
>>52069789
Yeah he went and removed all of Galbatorix's enchantments, and then he deleted it
>>
>>52069731

>The enemy soldier is exaggeratedly innocent and helpless to give those decisions extra gravity and meaning.

Sounds a little ham-fisted if you ask me.
>>
>elf bitch has green magic
>gets the green dragon egg
SUCH A TWIST
TOTALLY DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING FROM A MILE AWAY

It should have been Roran's.
Why did best boy have to get such shit loot from his mighty quest, not counting his wife as loot obviously.
>>
>>52069818
Oh it absolutely fucking is.
>>
How is the series?, one of my friends read It and loved It, and another One hated It.

What is good about It?, what is shit?
>>
>>52069872
If you can stomach fanfiction, than you can stomach Eragon
>>
>>52069682
Roran is the only redeeming quality of the entire series.
>>
>>52069872
It was a book written by a very young author, and it is very clear what other series he read and saw that lead up to his ideas for the series.

Best for those seeking an introduction to fantasy, perhaps.
>>
>>52069872

Tried reading it, put it down pretty quickly.

The storyline for the first half is as generic a Hero's Journey quest as you can get, to the point where claiming Tortellini just wrote an unofficial Star Wars novelization is a pretty common joke.

It suffers from some serious purple prose issues, and occasionally you reach points where you're pretty sure Paolini had just discovered a new word he thought was cool (like "thew").

Worldbuilding is pretty generic, with milquetoast human kingdoms, Not!Orcs, and Elf forests with silly names.

People say it gets better in the second half of the series but I never got that far.
>>
>>52069836
Honestly. Looting a qt redhead waifu is good enough.
>>
>>52069872
Definitely written by a young author. It's not bad it's just definitely best enjoyed by younger audiences.

I was 12 in 2002 when Eragon came out. Absolutely loved it.

15 in 2005 when Eldest came out. Even better than the first.

18 when Brisingr came out, it was pretty good but there's something about it that's not quite hitting the spot anymore. I can't even remember if he fucked that elf...if not that's probably what killed it for me.

The fourth one I don't think I even read, it is on my shelf over there though.

Depends how much of a sperg you are about fantasy. Eragon is great kiddy stuff, may not hold your attention if you are an adult or turbosperg.

Give it a go though, I'd recommend that much.
>>
>>52069938
well he had to loot it back after dick ass monster thiefs stole her in the first place, which is why I don't count her in the loot
>>
>>52069993
when Brisingr came out it's pace felt MUCH slower, it was basically a second training arc and you end up looking forward to what Roran's doing more than Eragon, by FAR.
>>
>>52069993
This is pretty much me. Might finish it on a rainy day when bored.
>>
>>52069993

I've found as I've gotten older fantasy in general just does not hold my interest like it used to. I don't know if it's because fantasy in general just isn't that good or if I've just always been a sci-fi fan. Or both.
>>
I dunno try asking /lit/
>>
>>52069872
It's not fuckoff horrible, but it's not really a masterpiece either. I've forced myself through much, much worse, but also read much, much better.

It's good youth fantasy. Twelve to mid teens, I'd say. After that, readers start getting a better hold on nuance see whats left unsaid.

Honestly, for a first publish book, it's damn good. Especially written by someone so young. It does read like a bog-standard D&D game, though.
>>
>>52070040
>/lit/
>knowing shit about fantasy books
>not coming to /tg/ first when it comes to fantasy literature
Look at this fucking newfag
>>
>>52070010
Yeah that was boring as fuck. It's a shame he was becoming a better writing just as he got to the most boring part of the series. So much detailed description of a fucking boring boot camp with those two old cunts.

>>52070017
Yeah this thread has inspired me too. Will probably forget about it by nightfall tonight though.

>>52070030
Face it senpai, fantasy is for nerds. Us alpha males prefer to LARP as fascist warriors serving the God Emperor in the Border Pat-...Space Marines...sorry no heresy I swear.
>>
Eragon is literally what made me stop reading for a few years after middle school
>>
>>52069993
That was pretty much me as well. I read them well through middle school, but then I started reading Ranger's Apprentice instead which I found was a lot more intriguing and enjoyable. By the time I was in 8th grade I was starting A Song of Ice and Fire which was just sort of the last nail in the coffin. Once Inheritance came out I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

>>52069996
Loot is loot anon.

>>52070040
/lit/ is full of people that like to circlejerk about the same few books and dismiss fantasy with the same fervor usually reserved for western material making its way onto /a/.
>>
>>52070094
>/lit/ is full of people that like to circlejerk about the same few books
>>52066996

LOL
>>
Chronicles of Amber has been my go-to fantasy series since I was about 13. So, twenty years of it. Re-read it several times and will most certainly do so again. Eragon wasn't all that impressive to me, even as a young teen, but it's not bad.
>>
>>52070030
It has to written well, and in the right spirit.

I dunno, I came back to Redwall and Howard Pyle after picking them up as a kid, and they're still as fresh as ever.

Part of that might be Brian Jaqcues' lavish descriptions of feasting and song, though. Howard Pyle does the same thing, but with clothes and !!!CHIVALRY!!! bleeding through the page.

Have you read John C. Wright's Moth and Cobweb books? That's some top-shelf material, man.
>>
>>52070220

>Have you read John C. Wright's Moth and Cobweb books?

No. I'm just about to finish the book I'm reading right now though (Nexus), so I guess I'll have to look into that.
>>
>>52070220
you mean the books you read as a little 'un?
>>
File: 1467936904922[1].png (722KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
1467936904922[1].png
722KB, 1000x562px
Why talk about shit-tier fantasy books when god-tier fantasy books exist?
>>
>>52070266
>loved the first
>was too poor to buy the next two
>it's been so long I don't feel like starting again now and I probably won't enjoy it any more having grown up

:(
>>
>>52070266
Oh shit thank you for reminding me these exist and I enjoyed them
>How to do a summoner right
>>
>>52070286
Motherfucker I still reread them, go download that trilogy right the fuck now
>>
>>52070266
>all of the covers are le happy merchant
Who is this mad artist?

I've got the prequel, but never read it. Is it any good?

Heroes of the valley was pretty cash, too.
>>
I've read all kinds of fantasy until I've read Terry Pratchett. After him most other writers seem pretty terrible and generic when it comes to fantasy.
>>
>installs the varden as the absolute rulers, even going as far to magically bind the people and the land to them
>they're the good guys so it's okay XD
>in the end he fucks off to some northern island
>leaves his elf waifu forever for some ??? reason
>doesn't even get past 1st base after 3 books
was very disappointing desu
>>
>>52070266
This and Artemis Fowl were GOAT YA fantasy books
>>
>>52070263
Yessir.
>>
>>52069872
As these guys >>52069918 >>52069993 have said, the Inheritance series is basically "baby's first fantasy," meant for younger readers who haven't really read any of the genre before. The elves are your default elves, the dwarves are your basic dwarves, the story is nothing special and stays fairly simple with the Hero's Journey and the evil king and brave rebels and whatnot, though occasionally there are some genuinely clever moments.

I do find it funny that, for a supposedly cliched story, it doesn't have the "dwarves and elves are dying out to be replaced by man" thing.
>>
>>52070408
>AF
There were only ever three books in that series and you can't tell me otherwise.
>>
File: artynet.jpg (128KB, 826x386px) Image search: [Google]
artynet.jpg
128KB, 826x386px
>>52070419
We both know it's otherwise
>>
>>52070419
Agreed
>>
>>52070434
But everything after was so fucking BAD
>>
>>52070452
their eyes teleported and swapped eachother! it's a metaphor for their eternal, forbidden, unrequited love that is never actually spelled out in the series, ever!
>>
>>52070460
>Time travel
>Arty got magic
>Atlantis curse
JUST
>>
>>52070452
Opal Incident was cash and you cannot convince me otherwise.
>>
>>52070365
There was hot offscreen dragon sex going on at least. Anyway, as I recall, he left because he was too powerful or something, which was contrived as hell.

But then again the entire fourth book was contrived as hell, so what would you expect.
>>
>>52070365

I myself like to think they shagged at some point after the end of the book. Just because he's off on that island doesnt mean she can never visit. After all she has to come for dragon rider training at some point.
>>
>>52070434
Leaving aside Butler's tiny head, the artist for those graphical novels got Holly so fucking wrong.
>>
>>52070610
you mean she isn't a metrosexual midget?
>>
>>52070086
Originally it was only supposed to be 3 books, but his vision for the story got stuck in that awkward length of 3.5 books, so he had to get rid of a bunch of content or add in more for another book.
>>
>>52070620
She's meant to be a brown-skinned red-head.
>>
>>52070637
That has to half of /tg/'s waifu checklist right there
>>
>Evil Empire™ chasing after a Rebel Princess™ and her entourage
>the Princess has a round blue McGuffin that may lead to the Empire's downfall
>the Princess manages to send the McGuffin away right before she's captured

>the McGuffin was sent to an old Magical Knight, living in exile after his ancient order was destroyed, but it is instead found by a young naive Farm Boy living with his uncle
>SPOILER ALERT: the Farm Boy's father was an agent of the evil emperor, and the magical knight is secretly keeping watch over the kid
>the Empire tracks the McGuffin to the farm boys farm, and kills his uncle
>the Magical Knight takes the farm boy on as his apprentice, and they go off in search of the Rebellion

>along the way they have some adventures
>they meet a scoundrel rogue
>they rescue the Rebel Princess from the clutches of the Empire
>the Magical Knight dies :(

>eventually, they find their way to the Rebellion
>unfortunately, the Evil Empire followed them there
>they fight
>the Farm Boy saves the day
>yay

Star Wars is great.
>>
>>52070789
I loved the part where Obi-Wan was Luke's father
>>
>>52069559
Jorje's taking up R.R. from Tolkien instinctively makes me hate him and I'm pretty meh on LotR
>>
>>52070823
It was presented in that way during the first book. well most of the books actualy.
>>
>>52070823
>>52070789
You forget to mention the "Luke! i am your brother!" moment.
>>
File: OTAjeys.jpg (185KB, 1100x950px) Image search: [Google]
OTAjeys.jpg
185KB, 1100x950px
>>52069514
>>
>>52069872
It's a decent fanfic.
>>
>>52070365
No, he got fucking forever friendzoned. Eragon simply gave up because the girls would never love him.
Yet the entire book is set up with her flirting and shit and him chasing her. Fucking Eragons a cuck, and then fucks off up river in the very end of the book.
>>
>>52070419
>tried remembering why their's only 3 books
>remember what happened to certain characters in the authors proposal for a 4th book
>remember his idea for the fifth
Right.
3 Books.
4 if you want to feel edgy and full shadowrun.
>>
>>52070452
Seeing old, soft, goody-goody Artemis go up against his hardassed younger self was great, you can't convince me otherwise.
>>
>>52070494
I actually think The Lost Colony has a pretty fucking baller ending for the series. It's right before Artemis turns full goodguy and has the most effective human villain since Arty himself.
>>
>>52072040
The portrayal of krakens in Time Paradox is fucking fantastic lore, which the series really always had even in the shit books.
>>
>>52072113
Villain was only alright, if you ask me. Pretty cool concept and story though.
I finished on that one, never read the further ones. Someone mind giving me a run down or are they just too bad?
>>
>>52070452
Did anyone else read the short story of Holly's induction exam that?

Atlantis Complex was a really weak book (and Vinyaya was way too cool to go out the way she did), but it really wasn't helped by the fact that it's the first time outside a novella you hear of Turnball
>>
>>52072136
>Time Paradox
Arty's mom gets sick with a magical disease, the same one that took Holly's mom. Arty blames himself for healing her with magic he got at the end of book 5 and potentially advancing it. The only cure for the disease is in the brainjuice of a lemur, the last of which young Arty sold to get money to look for his dad with. They go back in time to rescue the lemur and not one but TWO Opal Kobois are involved. It's dumb. Fairies are apparently able to be disabled by dunking them in pure animal fat. Lots of sexual tension between Arty(who aged up slightly during the time travel) and Holly(who aged down to "adolescence") and the two kiss once. As previously mentioned, krakens are badass and THE EXTINCTIONISTS were hammy and ridiculous.

>Atlantis Complex
Due to guilt and probably magic, Artemis develops a magical psychosis that manifests in a second personality, Orion, who has a massive hardon for Holly. Thrall runes of absolute domination, which are pretty cool. Arty wants to save the world to make amends, stuff goes down, etc. Root's brother, Turnball? Is the villain and get a pretty decent end. He did it all for love.

>Last Guardian
Artemis' disease has been cured and he wants to help the environment again, Colfer's green message getting even more painfully forced. Koboi (and her past self Koboi) literally use paradox logic and the remaining clone-Koboi and kill the younger version as a magical EMP that destroys all technology on Earth and tries to awaken the LAST GUARDIANS, which are ancient badass warriors meant to raze humanity one day when released. They also just so happen to have been slumbering under Arty's house. Arty ends up sacrificing himself but had a gambit planned, whereby his consciousness would survive on the magic of the world and be reinserted into an advance-grown clone of his. The series is tied to an end with the implication that it has all been a story told to the new Artemis to reawaken his memories.

All in all, eh, 6/10
>>
>>52072213
>Colfer's green message getting even more painfully forced.
And holy shit was it forced before then.
>>
>>52072213
>THE EXTINCTIONISTS
admittedly they were fucking hilarious despite their retardation
>>
>>52072263
I genuinely loved them, they were so fucking stupid yet so fucking good.
>>
>>52070419
1-3 were good, they had an actual arc and shit
4 was alright, Artemis is at his best when he's being a smug asshole
5 was a bit disjointed but still had some nice progression, and the ending made for some cool potential drama
Which 6 totally wasted, and I got bored with the "Opal again" thing, despite the good bits, like ruthless young Artemis, Butler as an opponent (though really he should have been scarier) and time travel not being done terribly. Also the Extinctionists being hilarious.
7 was hit and miss, but the villain was cool, and Orion was pretty funny.
8 had badass bits, but Opal yet again and the apocalypse shit was terrible.
>>
>>52069514

Wait, wait... are we saying that the only problem with this extract is that it makes the protagonist look ruthless, not that it's poorly written?
>>
>>52070134
Because the influence of these authors is still felt in the genre
>>
>>52072213
>Root's brother, Turnball

Ah yes. Root's brother the Australian Prime Minister.

Yes, I know it's Turnbull but that book got a lot funnier now
>>
>>52072263
>>52072283

I honestly don't remember them.
>>
>>52072734
Goofy caricatures of filthy rich hedonists/fur wearing misanthropes whose greatest kick is killing off the last of a species personally, whose rationale is 'they're stealin muh oxy-jens, kill everything not human'
>>
>>52072779

...isn't that a type of toxic mage in Shadowrun? Purifiers or something?
>>
>>52072779
They sound like captain planet villains, which is not a bad thing.
>>
>>52069872
I read it in Middle School, and it was the shit. I tried reading it again after graduating highschool and...well it just didn't jive, if that tells you anything. Reads like an okay fan fiction honestly. If I have to give him props for anything it's not going totally kitchen-sink with the setting and having a few neat ideas in terms of scenes and locations. The problem is that these cool ideas are weighed down by poor prose and the rest of the setting being pretty generic fantasy.
>>
File: nervoushissing.gif (252KB, 357x479px) Image search: [Google]
nervoushissing.gif
252KB, 357x479px
>>52069993
A-are you me...?
>>
>>52069514
I read the books as a kid and I actually dropped the series exactly after that quote. Shit, I still remember it when all other memories about the books have faded (except those hooded people who ate human flesh and Eragon desperately trying to fuck that elf).
>>
>>52069181
all I remember about these books were that they were fucking big books when I read them when I was a teen
>>
>>52073228
Yeah they were huge when I first read them
Now they're tiny and I eat stories like Worm for breakfast
>>
File: deltoraquest_front1.jpg (58KB, 338x525px) Image search: [Google]
deltoraquest_front1.jpg
58KB, 338x525px
Howdy folks. Anybody remember me?
>>
>>52073459
Hell yeah dude, I read all of those books. They were actually pretty cool to my kid brain. Don't know if they still hold up or not though. I imagine they do for a basic fantasy adventure.
>>
>>52069514
Couldn't he just have, you know, just stabbed the soldier with a knife? Choking someone out is a much much more brutal death than a simple killing stab.
>>
>>52070823
The fact that he used the fake twist from Empire left me wondering how self aware he was about the series and how much he'd borrowed from Star Wars
>>
>>52070365
>leaves his elf waifu

If you mean "waifu" as in "he loves her but she doesn't exist" way, then you're correct. But if you meant that they were a thing, you need to read the books again. Eragon got friendzoned so hard it wasn't even fun.
My memory might fail me, but I'm pretty sure that in the end this just becomes more clear because he asks if she doesn't want to go with him, and she's pretty much like "Um, yeah, ain't gonna happen".

>>52069682
Roran was the only good thing to ultimately come out of the series.
God damn it, every time I remember how he, using no magic at all, defeated that knight guy who used one of Galbatorix's magic dragon stone things inside his armor...
I know that grappling plate armor so hard that it crushes the guy inside is ridiculous, but damn me if it isn't badass.
>>
>>52073563
Roran having nearly perfect mental defenses was also great
>>
>>52073530
but how would the reader know how awesome the totally not-self-insert protagonist is otherwise?
>>
>>52073607
Dude also marched an entire village through a forest that's supposedly so deadly that nobody sane tries to make that trip.

Moreover, they were willing to follow him.
>>
>when you suddenly realize that Eragon became a twink after going half-elf
>>
File: Mortal-Engines_London.jpg (576KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Mortal-Engines_London.jpg
576KB, 1280x1024px
So, anyone remember this shit?
Fuck it was so good.
>>
>>52069817
No, he still knows the true name of the ancient language it as of the end of the book, there is absolutely no mention of him forgetting it whatsoever.
>>
>>52073737
Yes it was.
>>
>>52073737
Whatever that it, it looks awesome. Can you tell me a bit about it?
>>
>>52073826
Check up Mortal Engines on google.
Basically though think, kinda steampunk-y post-apoc-ish used future setting based around giant mobile cities eating each other for resources.
>>
>>52073826
When the apocalypse comes, everyone bolts together their entire cities worth of buildings and population, and rolls around as giant mobile behemoths looking for lesser cities to eat and dodging the bigger ones. The cities are actually mostly a backdrop for the action of a surprisingly well written YA series
>>
>>52073737
>>52073880
>>52073959
Oh shit I remember this. It was pretty awesome. There was some quasi-religious doctrine behind the city-eating if I remember correctly. Something about darwinism that made people frown at stationary cities.

I was a kid when I read it, gotta reread soon.
>>
>>52070266
>thank you, djinni, you are my greatest ally
>>
>>52073459
Fuck, I loved those things. They were a lot closer to classic Redwall, what with the genuinely evil monsters and all the character death.

Does anyone think, looking back, that the story was based on a TTRPG campaign? It would be easily translated to one anyways.
>>
>>52074601
Thatcher, Goddess of Municipal Darwinism
>>
>>52070220
>Brian Jaqcues'
RIP
>>
>>52070266
I fucking loved these
>>
>>52070085
>>52070094
>they don't know about fantasy general
>>
File: RibbonWhat.jpg (47KB, 296x341px) Image search: [Google]
RibbonWhat.jpg
47KB, 296x341px
>>52069514
>All the while, the man continued to beg, tears streaming down his cheeks; saying that he was too young to die, that he had yet to marry and father a child, that his parents would miss him, and that he had been pressed into the army and this was only his fifth mission and why couldn't Eragon leave him alone?
>>
>>52072113
Five was decent.
It had Artemis being the blend of the old Smug dickhead gaining a sense of responsibility that comes from natural character development, rather than the painful bleeding heart he morphed into later.
The demons were a decent addition, even if they were blatant left field additions, and the first antagonist was a decent way to highlight Artemis' own growth as a character, and that he's become better off not just in his morals.

The problem was that people sperged out over said antagonist, so Colfer dropped all the plans he had for her rather than fixing the issues people had, which meant the next few books were a rushed and confusing mess.
Didn't help that he introduced characters and promptly dropped them, with no explanation, repeatedly, and that his environmental message went from loudly present to subtle as a brick strapped to an airhorn.
>>
>>52069559
I really love /tv/ sometimes
>>
>>52074830
See, when you contrive the man Eragon must kill out of necessity into a blithering weak-kneed whiner then you emphasize just how DARK and EDGY the hero must become.
>>
>>52075713
The real issue is that not ten pages ago he agonised over killing someone who really did have it coming, and chose to mind rape him into submission rather than do it.
>>
>>52075768

Wasn't there also a moment in there series where he became a preachy vegetarian because the thought of killing a rabbit squicked him out?
>>
>>52073018
>except those hooded people who ate human flesh

The not-Nazgul who metamorphosis into not-fell beasts?
>>
>>52075713
Having the hero be dark and edgy isn't a crime. That particular sentence, however, contains every major sin of writing.

If there was a special Hell just for writers, that quote would likely be reserved for being carved somewhere on its gate.
>>
>>52075968

>Having the hero be dark and edgy isn't a crime.

Never tried implying it was. I was just pointing out it's an artificial and heavy-handed scenario for something which should've felt natural if still intense.
>>
>>52075986
I'm actually having a hard time thinking of a way to make it more awkward and contrived without having the guy's parents ride out of the woods and plead on his behalf.
>>
>>52069559
>cave tax
>not cave toll
>>
>>52075874
The main squick there is understandable. He was literally inside its head for a while, so for him it felt like autocannibalism.

It was also foreshadowing for the whole 'eat souls for more power' thing.
>>
>>52076053

Maybe the guy has a kid sister who shows up right after Eragon kills him.
>>
>>52069993
Yeah, it took way too long for the whole series to come out. By the time the third book arrived i was too old, and the magic faded away.
Eragon literally rips of Star Wars (episodes 4 to 6)but in fantasy.
>>
>>52075874
But rabbits are cute
>>
>>52073737
one of the most influential books i read when i was little
>>
>>52072779
>>52072928

Exactly. The Extinctionists were SO silly, that they managed to go past "obnoxiously edgy strawman" back into the territory of "funny".
>>
File: autistic screeching.jpg (112KB, 1207x1242px) Image search: [Google]
autistic screeching.jpg
112KB, 1207x1242px
>tfw the only character you liked was the sarcastic loli that wanted to make Eragon suffer just by existing as a constant reminder of what a fuckup he is
My memory might be a bit fuzzy though.
>>
>>52075874
That was more understandable. He killed the rabbit no problem, but he just couldn't stomach eating it because he literally shared its existence in the process of mentally locating it.

Nobody was ever preachy about it either, not even the elves. All they had say about it was they would prefer if he didn't hunt near their city.

Later he does start eating meat again, having moved on to more of a cycle of life approach.
>>
File: Valten.jpg (79KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Valten.jpg
79KB, 450x450px
>>52069682
How'd his story end? Never finished the series but he was straight alpha.
>>
>>52073459
I watched the anime.
>>
>>52076800
He was named the Duke of Carvahall after Galbatorix was beaten, so I assume he just went back there with his wife and child.
>>
>>52076800
No clue. I never finished the third book
>>
>>52076800
He lives. Goes back and builds a new Carvahall, I'm pretty sure.
>>
File: 1448650994355.png (81KB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
1448650994355.png
81KB, 800x750px
>>52073459
I bought a how-to art book with instructions on how to draw all the novels' coverart at a book fair but otherwise have no fucking idea what this series is.
>>
>>52074767
>Thatcher, Goddess of Municipal Darwinism

Fokin brits.
>>
>>52074767
Someone is salty
>>
File: download (9).jpg (12KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
download (9).jpg
12KB, 183x275px
This got me back into fantasy after the Inheritance Cycle killed it for several years
>>
File: rangers.jpg.cf.jpg (37KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
rangers.jpg.cf.jpg
37KB, 314x475px
This is great
>>
>>52073459
>Deltora Quest

FUCK.

YES.
>>
>>52077143
>Why Seaxes Are God-Tier Weapons: The Series

I, too, enjoyed this.
>>
>>52069514
>All the while, the man continued to beg, tears streaming down his cheeks; saying that he was too young to die, that he had yet to marry and father a child, that his parents would miss him, and that he had been pressed into the army and this was only his fifth mission and why couldn't Eragon leave him alone? "What have you against me?" he sobbed. "I only did what I had to do. I'm a good person!"

Hah, if the entire book was like this, I might actually read it.
>>
>>52070266
What's so good about these?
>>
>>52073737
Fuck yes I do
>>
>>52073459
Even at 13-ish when I read these, they were too simplistic to me. It felt like every book was a painfully drawn-out episode of a saturday morning cartoon.
>>
File: thesquirrel arrives.jpg (140KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
thesquirrel arrives.jpg
140KB, 640x640px
>>52077415
They're very inventive, and combine the best parts of urban fantasy, the British Parliament, and wise-cracking demons.
>>
File: Deltora_Quest_anime.jpg (95KB, 350x525px) Image search: [Google]
Deltora_Quest_anime.jpg
95KB, 350x525px
>>52077449
It literally has a anime.
>>
>>52076889
Imagine the most typical high fantasy stories ever made.

Now imagine that instead of dragons and liches, you get shapeshifting demon sorceresses that turn into giant fish, huge frogs capable of swallowing people whole, and a literal hivemind of sand in a desert.
>>
>>52077474
Is it worth it?
>>
>>52077520
It's a aight ride.
>>
>>52073563
she friendzones him and towards the end he ends up friendzoning her, by jangling the keys in his pocket while their dragons had implied sexy time, then leaving for an isolated island for the next 100 years for some contrived reason.
it's not quite unrequited love, it's just bad writing.
>>
>>52076889
>>52077490
The over-arching story of the first series is that The Shadow Lord (yes, his real name) has stolen the seven crystal plot items and they must be recovered to drive him and his evil out of the land of Deltora.

It sounds generic, but the books really shine in the worldbuilding, and there's more to the Shadow Lord than meets the eye. I mostly remember the series for all the bad shit the main characters have to survive. Their world is very OD&D-esque, with enchanted pools that turn those who drink from them into trees, ridiculous enemy magic-users, plants that anesthetize you while insects burrow into your flesh, giants that eat you if you can't solve their puzzles, stuff like that.

Ro(we)(dda) wrote five or six series set in that world, and they were all pretty brutal. If you read the original Redwall as a kid you'll know what I mean. People get crushed, smashed, eaten, cut in half, bitten by snakes, fused to masks, turned to stone, and otherwise die in lovingly described ways. It's not necessarily kiddie-proofed.

tl;dr it's good shit and if you read it to small children don't tell their parents.
>>
Is Redwall kidkino?
>>
>>52069181
A 200% consumption tax on non-essential goods.
>>
>>52078568
So basically fantasy animorphs?
>>
>>52078778
a fair amount of em are
though I read like 13 of em
>>
File: Copy_of_Keys_To_the_Kingdom.jpg (80KB, 526x744px) Image search: [Google]
Copy_of_Keys_To_the_Kingdom.jpg
80KB, 526x744px
This was the GOAT YA series
>>
File: Sabriel_Book_Cover.jpg (49KB, 310x514px) Image search: [Google]
Sabriel_Book_Cover.jpg
49KB, 310x514px
>>52079184
close, anon.
>>
>>52079184
I liked the worldbuilding in that series
>>
>>52069181
Same as Smaug's.

LITERALLY THE SAME
>>
>>52079109
Basically a classic CYA-book.
>>
Is Lightbringer for YA?
>>
>>52079109
Animorphs a shit.

The books were internally inconsistent because they were written by a bunch of different authors, and it ended up in the same terrible pseudo-HFY territory that all mediocre scifi eventually reaches. Deny this, if you can.
>>
>>52079184
>>52079254
Garth Nix is just a good writer all around.
Even his name is pretty awesome.
>>
>>52069399
>>52069502
>>52069525
"There was a deep-seated hatred of the Empire in Carvahall, almost hereditary in nature. The Empire never helped them during the harsh years when they nearly starved, and its tax collectors were heartless." page 29 of the edition they have up on Google Books.
Jeod also talks about fears of merchants cheating the Empire of their "precious taxes," which to me reads like the taxes are pretty substantial.

Not debating the morals of Galbatorix, but the Empire obviously took taxation seriously.
>>
>>52079469
That was one small thing that could be considered correct about the series.
Even governments with light taxes take them seriously. Tax evasion is, and has always been, the thing most likely to bring a governmental hammer down on you. A benevolent government might send a collector around to get back taxes. A harsh one might send a guy to collect back taxes, punitive taxes, AND execute whoever is held responsible (Possibly everyone). Either way, they're getting their taxes. The only difference is how much extra punishment they levy if you fail to pay.
>>
>>52070030
Holy shit, this. I LOVE fantasy and Eragon was my gateway drug, but nowadays the fantasy has to be something GOOD for it to hold my interest. It can't just be generic knights, swords, and dragons anymore...

Meanwhile if anyone even says "cyberpunk" or "dystopic future setting" I'm on that shit like white on rice. Shadowrun was my true intro to the sci-fi genre. I never really liked it until I encountered Shadowrun and Cyberpunk because Sci-fi always felt the same to me.
>>
>>52079448
>finding out that animorphs was written by different people in the same week you discover that Warriors (the cat series) was ALSO several different people
I need to research authors more often.
>>
>>52069993
are you me?
>>
>>52079737
BITCH I MIGHT BE
>>
File: 1344310683066.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1344310683066.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
>>52079184
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mov1xXyaMVg
>>
>>52069181
Clearly too low, considering he left the peasants with more than enough resources to overthrow him.
>>
>>52079546
I mean, you like what you like the but the fact you dislike generic fantasy but enjoy Shadowrun is amusing to me.
>>
>>52069872
As a kid I fucking loved it - it was right up there with the Percy Jackson series. Now as an adult, it's really hard to get into because it's so clearly a kid's series.
10/10 for kids/tweens
5/10 adults
Also the 4th book's ending is fucking dumb
>>
>>52070266
God damn I love Stroud
>>
Hey I'd like to point out to people that don't know, that the audiobook of this series is fantastically done and improves the series greatly. The speaker Gerard Doyle does a great job doing voices and narration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SGShqSF8bI
this youtube video is shit quality so I recommend finding a torrent of them all
>>
>>52078568
Was one of the series about finding dragons for a specific plot reason?
>>
>>52070082
he was "15" when he started the book but was 22 when it was published and had rewritten it all. The claims of the publisher (his parents) had lied to create hype
>>
>>52070266
This trilogy made such a lasting impression on me.
The Last Orc was pretty great too, but it appears to be an obscure book in English circles.
>>
>>52070266
>that ending
my child mind couldn't understand, looking back, that was some good fucking character development.
>>
>>52076667
Oh man, I fucking remember that loli. She grew up traumatized due to the marking Eragon gave her.
>>
>>52081219
she was what, two years old by the end of the series?
She got forcefully aged up because Eragon fucked up so, SO hard grammatically, I think the exact error was "may you be a shield from harm" rather than "may you BE SHIELDED from harm", so magic forced her to grow up so she could and gave her some powers.
Second best character in the series, and that's only because Roran exists.
>>
cough Ender's Game
>>
>>52081266
>she was what, two years old by the end of the series?
End of inheritance Elva's 3 years old, but a grown woman.

A note from Paolini:

Author Christopher Paolini confirmed that Elva was originally considered for the role of "Green Rider" in Inheritance, before he chose Arya instead. He also confirmed that it was "possible" that Elva could become a Dragon Rider in the future. However, Paolini voiced his concerns that making Elva a Rider would make her "overpowered", citing her "amazing ability". He said, "being a Rider as well seems like overkill to me", but also revealed, "If she were, though, she'd be pretty scary. Even Galbatorix wouldn't have stood a chance against her"
>>
>>52081342

I haven't read EG. Is it true it as the series goes on it shifts gears from Baby's First Military Sci-Fi to some sort of weird anti-gay manifesto?
>>
>>52081206
for YA, it was a pretty mature series
>>
>>52081358
Why does that make her so OP? I thought all it did was forcibly make her into an unwilling shield for people?
>>
>>52081456
tl;dr foresight. If she had a dragon then she'd basically be able to read one step ahead of the enemy permanently and steal whatever words they ever intended to utilize. Galbatorix couldn't have used his hax word for example, because Elva would've just stolen it.
>>
File: Enderverse.png (29KB, 891x1137px) Image search: [Google]
Enderverse.png
29KB, 891x1137px
>>52081412
writer is a mormon and maybe a pedo

It's a sliding scale of quality
>>
File: 8fc798ca1554cd6fe423595185e49fec.jpg (898KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
8fc798ca1554cd6fe423595185e49fec.jpg
898KB, 1280x1024px
I remember there were a bunch of threads about this series a while ago. I read it when I was younger but I honestly can't remember much about it.
>>
>>52081433
Pretty much. It didn't need to go into loledgy like so many YA hacks to be mature.
>>
File: Vraal.png (365KB, 490x550px) Image search: [Google]
Vraal.png
365KB, 490x550px
>>52073459
These books are what sparked my love of fantasy. Looking back I can see a lot of influence from the series in how I worldbuild and run games.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (5KB, 110x176px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5KB, 110x176px
>>52069181
Hey, why are we talking about a medicore fantasy series when we could be talking about an absolutely trash science fiction one?
>>
>>52069682

Was I the only one hoping Roran's wife would end up being the newest dragon rider, given that she was kidnapped? I feel like it would have made an interesting dynamic, at least moreso than the obvious copout of making Arya the next dragonrider who AUTOMATICALLY WAS SO GREAT AND AWESOME WITH A FULLY GROWN DRAGON AND EVERYTHING!
>>
>>52081592
wasn't there a timeskip after elf-bitch hatched the egg while Eragon went around undoing literally everything Galbatorix did?
>>
>>52081639
it was like 3 weeks
>>
>>52081670
that... might be long enough, actually, Saphira grew big enough to ride in a month, right?
>>
>>52081689
she was mentally a toddler for the summer before Eragon left
>>
>>52077143
Oh, that Horace!

Felt like I was punched in the gut when I found out what happened before the most recent book.
>>
>>52081854
Hoarce and Roran confirmed /ourguy/s
>>
>>52070286
JUST DO IT!
>>
>>52069181
I don't suppose anyone read these books?
>>
What is it about young adult fiction that turned me off so hard when I was a kid and does to this day? Is it the teenage main characters and awkward relationships?

I got so fed up with it I started reading dry, 1000+ page historical drama when I was in 6th grade. Now I just read fantasy and some scifi
>>
>>52082367

Thing is like most writers, YA authors are usually not very good at giving their writing any kind of identity or uniqueness. Most YA fiction is pretty shallow and doesn't actually "get" the reader. For every Hunger Games and Harry Potter you get dozens and dozens of lame, paint-by-numbers series with no real personality. And because most kids who read recreationally are by nature smarter, they often clue into this and drop YA pretty quickly.

You have the oddball series like Twilight which despite its awfulness grabs the attention to a lot of kids. But overall it comes down to the fact most books just aren't good no matter what they're about.
>>
>>52069455

Well, he was 15 years old or something when he wrote it. Probably thought socialism was a good idea too.
>>
>>52082648
he was 22. 15 is when he "started" it

Just like I was 15 when I started painting. Doesn't mean shit. He was 22 when he actually wrote it his parents who published the book through their publishing company just used the day he first thought of any idea related to it as an excuse to sell books.

Fuck if my parents were book publishers i bet I could get a book published too
>>
>>52077096
what is that, a book for ants?
>>
>>52082737
No, but this is.
>>
>>52082648
I remember that was the main reason why I read it as a kid, parents kind of pushed as a look at what this teenager wrote, actually I think that was the main reason why anyone bought it. Story is pretty forgettable and really borrowed most of it's major concepts from major fantasy works.
>>
>>52082994
hmm, is it like the Boxes and Marco's Millions?
>>
>>52083005
I bought it because it had a dragon on the cover.
>>
Anyone read The Huntsman series or Parasite Pig?
>>
>>52083005
My mother brought it up to me once. I said I'd look into and never did because dragons bored the shit out of me. Hell they still kinda do. And I'd grown tired of literature aimed at teens when I was barely in them
>>
>>52083098
Same.
At that point I had all the dragonology books too
>>
Last Legionary?
>>
How do we make Eragon a good setting for a game?
>>
>>52084193

There's nothing really inherently wrong with the setting other than it's a little uninspired. Nothing about it hinders a potential game.

Eragon falls short because a kid with shallow taste wrote it. The narrative and characters are all boring and derivative. None of this actually has any impact on a game.
>>
>>52081045
yes
>>
>>52083129
Yup. Still have them around somewhere...
>>
File: nigger.jpg (73KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
73KB, 1033x679px
>>52081503
>>
File: larklight.jpg (64KB, 948x1272px) Image search: [Google]
larklight.jpg
64KB, 948x1272px
>>52081503
>tfw /tg/ loves Edge Chronicles
>tfw nobody read Larklight
>>
>>52084193
>>52084233
the magic system is a little over powered
>>
>>52084986
If /tg/ can tolerate 3.pf, they can tolerate Eragon.
>>
>>52070266
That reminds me, I need to buy those. Thanks mate.
>>
>>52082715
>>52082648
>>52083005

The fucker is a wolf-loving granola faggote, and yes he was a socialist.
>>
>>52077096
I liked that series.
Felt anime as fuck. But that's not a bad thong in my opinion.

But I liked his other series The Elder Empire books a lot more. The idea of harvesting elder gods for parts is neat.
>>
>>52085300
It felt like a self-aware anime in book form, and I loved it
>Simon accidentally gets stuck in a tent after his absurd fucking katana cuts the whole thing in half
>>
>>52079184
>Have sudden crises as a child after reading these

>>52079254
>Pick this up
>Fucking love it
>Name my WoW character after her like a faggot

Younger me was a silly lad.
>>
>>52085392
Fuck are you a player on Wyrmrest Accord? I think I was one of your guildmates.
>>
>>52085503
Nah man, Magtheridon here. Even had to use an alt key or two to get it working. Such was the power of my autism.
>>
>>52081045
It was about lifting a curse by killing four young women who had been tied into it in a blasphemous mockery of an ancient rite of binding, but dragons kind of showed up along the way.
>>
>>52084658
I read and very much enjoyed Larklight. Victorian sci-fi with aliens? Aw yiss.
>>
>>52081503
A fucking civilization on the edge of a (not so) bottomless pit. This activated my almonds so bad. Did they ever figure out whose edge they were on?
>>
>>52076278
No, it follows the traditional fantasy staple of The Hero's Journey, which Star Wars also follows very closely, there are way too many differences between the two to even make that comparison.
>>
>>52084658
Sell it to me.
>>
>>52069181

Did people really read these books?
>>
>>52069559
>was in this thread
>didn't make it into the screencap

S-sorry for failing you /tg/
>>
>>52085931
There was a movie, so I'm assuming
>>
While we're talking about YA fantasy, thoughts on Tamora Pierce?

From what I could remember about the Circle of Magic series, it's got an interesting take on how magic works.
>>
>>52085971

Did people really watch that movie?
>>
Hey guys, can I hang out in here too?
>>
>>52086052
I watched it. It was awful.
>>
>>52085931

Think of the book series you read as a kid that all your friends knew about, but nobody ever mentions these days. That's Eragon. It was for young people, and had a pretty significant fanbase, but it's not enduring in the way that some series are. Harry Potter (for some fucking reason) appealed to people of all ages. Lord of the Rings became a classic that's lasted for decades. But there's hundreds of lesser series that just... didn't, and Eragon is among them.
>>
>>52086052
Considering they didn't make a second one, not many
>>
>>52077143
I remember those. Only read the first four tho. How are the rest of them?
>>
>>52079254
Oh, that's where I got the name for the world I run my current campaign in from.
>>
>>52081670
It Was about 6 months, at the least because thats how long it takes Dragons to reach sexual maturity in Paolini's world.
>>
>>52081524
Man, I want to cuss you out because I enjoyed those books, but I acknowledge that they could have been much better than they were. Premise is solid, execution was meh. It was good until they started randomly acquiring super powers. If it was just bird-kids vs. mad scientists it would've been dope.
>>
>>52083129
>>52084336
My niggas
>>
>>52086274
>Cuss
Where am I, again?
>>
>>52069181
You know what the most bizarre part of GRRM's criticism is? His own world makes absolutely no sense what so ever. For someone who talks so much about how other author's fantasy works lack in realism he sure does seem incapable of producing it himself.
>>
>>52086487

My dad has a rant about how he hates that the explanation for the Lannisters' wealth is gold mines, and literally nothing else. Not banking, not trade, not even rare goods or spices -- gold. Because money's made out of gold, right?

There's an old rule about fantasy writing: when building a story, ask yourself "but why" six times, and you have to come up with a compelling answer. If you come up with, "Because the story demands it" before the seventh, go back to the drawing board.

ASOIAF is one or two "but whys" deep, at best.
>>
>>52081433
YA that isn't mature generally is trash.
>>
>>52085931
I travelled a lot when the book hit the shelfs, so airport terminal shops had them...

And I also read the Satanic Verses during the time spent in transfer, so I was open for some other trash.
>>
>>52086085
>But there's hundreds of lesser series that just... didn't, and Eragon is among them.

The Sword of Shannara and Kingdom for Sale.
The Xanth books
ect.
>>
Who here read "waterborn"?
>>
>>52086622
Yeah, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I have a hard time thinking of much at all that actually makes much sense at all in the series.

The sheer size of Westeros ought to make it impossible to control, even with dragons. Especially as the infrastructure is so apparently lacking (the Kingsroad is barely more than a dirt path).

On much the same note there's extremely little cultural diversity within Westeros considering how large it is (and the fact that the climate is so wildly diferent in each part as it is a tall continent rather than a wide one). There's no more than like three ethnicities inhabiting the entire continent, and they all speak a single language. Even if we assume that GRRM has absolutely no clue what he's talking about and that Westeros is a more reasonable size, let's say twice or thrice the size of the British Isles, that's still far too little.

At the same time he has the opposite problem when it comes to Essos, and especially the western part of that continent which is divided from southern Westeros by a supposedly narrow sea. Yet the cultural differences are far too great for the Narrow Sea to be that narrow. King's Landing and the rest of the Westeros' south-eastern coast ought to have more cultural exchange with the Free Cities than the North, or heck, even the Westerlands as it would be far easier to trade and travel over the sea than across the continent.

You have dynasties which have ruled the same land for thousands of years. Even the Targaryens', by comparisson, measly 300 years of rule are highly improbable.

And on the subject of impossible numbers, every single castle described in the series exhibits them. Winterfell's walls are 100 feet tall. Storm's End has walls that are 40 feet wide at their thinnest point. These are the kinds of numbers a child or insane person would throw out.
>>
>>52087305
>There's no more than like three ethnicities inhabiting the entire continent, and they all speak a single language.
but anon, that isn't true at all
>>
>>52087675
First Men, Andals, and Rhoynar. They all identify as one of these three ethnicities and they all speak the Common Tongue. Even the Wildlings who live Beyond the Wall do.
>>
>>52080969

The ending to the 4th book burned me so fucking hard, man.

It made absolutely no sense and left me feeling majorly wanting. I hated it.

Like most of /tg/, I now realize how shit a series it is, but it's only made worse by that shit ending.
>>
>>52087721
The wildlings don't speak common in the books, and I'm pretty sure the Rhoynar didn't either but assimilated because they arrived hundreds of years ago.
>>
>>52087955
>The wildlings don't speak common in the book
Yes they do. It's explicitly noted that there's a minority among them that still speak the language of the First Men.

As for the Rhoynar, it doesn't matter wether they spoke a different language originally or not. It's still highly improbable that they'd assimilate so much that they lost their mother tongue in a world with such primitive communication.
>>
>>52087786
See I wouldn't even say it's a shit series - just that it's a children's/young teen's series. Judging by any other criterion will make it look like shit but it was only ever meant to be a children's intro-to-fantasy stuff.
Like I'll probably show my kid the series when he gets old enough but I would never recommend it to a friend or something.
>>
>>52069181
Strong taxation of forced memes.
>>
>>52069993
Shit are you me ?
>>
>>52084658
That shit was the tits
>>
>>52088429
Sorry, friend.
Hotheads have to pay extra tax
>>
>>52073737
This series, the Hatchet series and one other I am KICKING myself for not remembering the name of were the absolute fucking BOMB for me in secondary school!

Can anyone help me out here? The book I can't recall the name of had Cromwell-era England being invaded by guys from another dimension with late-19th/early-20th century technology, but rebels from the other dimension had already fled to Earth and had been supplying the royalists with advanced firearms and stuff.
>>
>>52069455
Starving, uneducated peasants make for poor revolutionaries.

t. 18th century Russian Empire.
>>
>>52069514

The stinger is that Eragon isn't just killing him, but he's effectively wiping the dude from existence permanently.
>>
>>52086720

Hey, even if Xanth itself never made it big, everyone knows what a nickipede is.
>>
>>52069872
It's passable. Certainly a decent intro to lore-heavy fantasy for a young reader.

I had more or less the same experience as >>52069993 except I went and finished the fourth book out of curiosity. Lack lustre finish, all in all, but the book had it's moments, mostly centering around Roran.
>>
>>52089219
>everyone knows what a nickipede is.
Literally nobody knows what that is.
>>
>>52089029
Is this the one where the protagonist was an alchemist, or was it where the protag was linked to a hivemind with his dog?
>>
>>52073737
Re-read them recently. They still hold up and I'm so glad that they do.
>>
>>52082174
so... no?
>>
>>52077096
>A muscle wizard takes on a world full of summoners: the series
>>
>>52082174
>>52089362
I have, anon. i thought, all in all it was a great series. My only bug bear is that the ending of the Frey-Draken subplot was lined up to be something so much better than Wooding decided to go with.

I'd love it if he decided to revisit the setting, maybe from the PoV of the Tracians or one of the other factions.

Slag though :(
>>
Remember the part where Eragon mind rapes a dude and he gets off on abusing his magical powers?
>>
>>52089350
Can't recall a hivemind or anything...

The protagonist I remember was maybe more of an antagonist, as the book switched perspectives. He'd come to Earth years earlier as part of a scouting mission and fathered a son, who he picks up just as the book starts.
>>
>>52089426
You mean that part that never happened? unless you're referring to the whole Sloan thing, in which Eagon figured out the guy's True Name, and used it to punish him.
>>
>>52089505
“Lie?” roared Eragon. “I do not lie!” Thrusting out with his mind, he engulfed Sloan’s consciousness in his own and forced the butcher to accept memories that confirmed the truth of his statements. He also wanted Sloan to feel the power that was now his and to realize that he was no longer entirely human. And while Eragon was reluctant to admit it, he enjoyed having control over a man who had often made trouble for him and also tormented him with gibes, insulting both him and his family. He withdrew a half minute later.

>Also, a reminder that Sloan did nothing wrong
>>
>>52089556
Sloan murdered someone else in the village and betrayed the entire village for protection which led to the ultimate result of nearly subjecting both him and his daughter to death in the lair of a predator of humans? is that nothing wrong?

Eragon enjoyed getting back at Sloan not mind-raping him, he didn't mind rape him either, he just showed him the truth of his actions, which was an unpleasant experience, but he inflicted no undue pain upon him.
>>
>>52089618
Instead, the butcher’s demeanor became cold and flinty. “Blast you,” he said. “I don’t have to explain myself to you, Eragon Son of None. Understand this, though: I did what I did for Katrina’s sake and nothing else.”
>>
>>52089618
And re-read the passage: He wasn't making Sloan look back at the past, he was just trying to show him that no really, he's Eragon and he's a powerful 'hero' now.
>>
>>52089674
And that's the only reason Eragon didn't kill him, it doesn't erase his crime or the fact that murdering someone no matter the reason is wrong.
>>52089682
I've read it several times, with all of the context and never did I get that from that line, that was not what he was trying to do.

He was showing Sloan that he was no longer the young farm boy who he abused and belittled at every opportunity, and that now he was going to judge him for his crimes as was his duty and right as a Dragon Rider, and that he was not to be trifled with or lied to.
>>
>>52089745
tl;dr, Eragon is a douchebag
>>
Since we're talking fantasy series, is Gotrek&Felix worth reading?
>>
>>52069181
Daily reminder that the magic in the prologue of the first book is basically described as though an elf woman is running from a man firing the galick gun at her shortly before she murderises several ogres with her fightan skills.

If only the rest of the book had been so unashamedly anime instead of star wars.
>>
>>52089915
Yes.
First book is a series of stand alones, second book onward starts to become a more coherent series.
Be warned that retcons started happening once it switched authors, and know that while it says Gotrek and Felix, Felix is the actual MC, while Gotrek is more a static WMD.
Most of the fights tend to boil down into Gotrek unleashing unholy rape upon what he beholds, with a few exceptions
>>
>>52089980
>with a few exceptions
Such as Felix's new sword giving him a complete murderboner when confronted by anything that might vaguely share the definition of 'dragon'.

It's fucking glorious watching a fairly sensible, self-preserving and somewhat talented swordsman-poet like Felix, turn into an absolute raging psychopath lookin' to get him some lizard-skin boots!
>>
>>52086487
>Hurr durr when all the peasants are being killed the Lord is smart not to help them even though they are the only way to get food
>year long winters and kings landing starves in a week without food shipments. Because they apparently don't store food for winter.
>Dornish can survive going into the mountains and not farming whenever the dragons came. Because they evidently don't need food or fresh water.
>the Martells put a bounty on Aegon and KL attacks him. However the Yronwoods who have a rivalry with the Martell NEVER ONCE consider joining the Targs for that bounty.
>Dornish kill Daeron under a peace banner and yet are still trusted. Frey however is hated universally for doing something similar.
>Nobody rebels once the dragons are gone. Not the North which has the Neck or the Vale which now can't be flown over.
>>
>>52079448
She literally wrote the final book as an anti-war piece to show kids that the good guys do shitty things in war and that soldiers don't get happy, fulfilling endings. In the end, the humans are insignificant to the grand scheme.

The thing about inconsistent writers is true, though.
>>
>>52081496
>and maybe a pedo

He sure did like writing about young boys getting shivers in their loins and naked shower fights.
>>
>>52089954
>If only the rest of the book had been so unashamedly anime instead of star wars.

>the final battle in the first book

2anime4me.
>>
>>52089854
No, he's not, he's a hero but one portrayed rather realistically at least on the issues and moral quandaries one would face in such a position and in how they would respomd in such situations
>>
>>52090008
>Nobody rebels once the dragons are gone. Not the North which has the Neck or the Vale which now can't be flown over.

Bitch what do you think Roberts rebellion was
>>
>>52086067
GOAT world building. Grafting altered monster organs into you to let you control electric currents (no muscle meat bags though, body mod is done by a secretive group of refugees from a !Atlantis), everything about skolds (taking on monsters 50 feet tall with a bag of various explosive, soporific, and caustic chemicals), and pretty decent character development and writing. 8/10 would recommend to anyone willing to read the 200 page encyclopedias at the end of each book.
>>
>>52089029
Did it have alternate-earth Neanderthals in it?
Because I recall reading something like this in secondary school but like you I can't remember the name. I thought it was pretty fun, the English Civil War is a great and under-explored setting.
>>
>>52090801
It's well-explored in the realm of trashy 'romance' paperbacks at least. Ladies love British accents and foppish clothes.

I'm not sure about the Neanderthals... I never got very far through it before I had to put it down and when I went back to rent it out from the school library, I couldn't find it again and I've eternally kicked myself for not just taking it out the first time!

I just need a name, or the author's name or SOMETHING and I can get it again, but I can't remember it for the life of me!

Let's see... That protagonist, the commander for the invaders, he had an airship called the Hawk I remember... And I remember a scene where they visited the Tower of London and one of the rebels was able to snipe someone, under the sound cover of a gun salute for the visiting dignitaries.
>>
>>52070789
You have forgoten about that Dragon-robot
>>
>>52090910
I think I found it, see if this is the one.

The New World Order by Ben Jeapes.
>>
>>52091572
YES! That's the one! Thank you so much, I've been looking for this book for YEARS!

Fuck 'young adults', I'mma order it right now!
>>
>>52091628
No worries, it's been bothering me for years as well. I might pick up a copy myself.
>>
Does anyone remember a series about people who were divided into races named after different bugs, and they had the corresponding powers of that species? So ants lived in big hive mind cities, dragonflies could fly. The evil wasp empire was invading the place.

I read it when I was a kid so I have no idea if it was any good or not, and I never finished the series but the idea always stuck with me
>>
>>52079254
Thank you for reminding me that these books exist. I barely remember them other than the fact that I enjoyed them immensely back in high school.

Snagged some ebooks of his other books as well, like Shade's Children.
>>
>>52091776
>like Shade's Children

Thinking about it now, that book was dark as fuck. Children murdered and spliced together to create terrifying slave monstrosities, a pre-fall Human Consciousness turned AI acting like a dictator over his small child soldier army and the Lottery for having sex. It was good though, as proved by the fact I still remember all that stuff. The aliens were really cool in that book as well, I loved the descriptions of their armour and culture.
>>
File: 1342232266974.jpg (25KB, 332x348px) Image search: [Google]
1342232266974.jpg
25KB, 332x348px
>>52081017
What changes in the audiobook
>>
>>52087305
>they all speak a single language. Even if we assume that GRRM has absolutely no clue what he's talking about and that Westeros is a more reasonable size, let's say twice or thrice the size of the British Isles, that's still far too little.
>What's Arabic?

>The sheer size of Westeros ought to make it impossible to control, even with dragons. Especially as the infrastructure is so apparently lacking (the Kingsroad is barely more than a dirt path).
Again, you clearly know literally nothing about history. And you can't really call infrastructure lacking when they have a better communication system than anything we had IRL before the 19th century.

>You have dynasties which have ruled the same land for thousands of years. Even the Targaryens', by comparisson, measly 300 years of rule are highly improbable.
>And on the subject of impossible numbers, every single castle described in the series exhibits them. Winterfell's walls are 100 feet tall. Storm's End has walls that are 40 feet wide at their thinnest point. These are the kinds of numbers a child or insane person would throw out.
Those are all heavily implied to have some kind of magic behind them. Actually, with Storm's End it's explicitly stated over and over again. Have you even read the books?
>>
Anyone fancy making another of these threads?
Call it, I dunno, /tg/ book club or something.
It's been a great thread and I've really enjoyed seeing some books I liked as a chil
>>
>>52070789
I mean, it's not like Star Wars was an incredibly unique plot before, either.
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.