[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

World of Darkness Unmasked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

So, I'm planning to run a game of World of Darkness soon where the masquerade has been broken.

Is there anything I should be aware of for such a game? I'm thinking about ruling that supernatural enforcement of the masquerade is still up and running. This means Lunacy, Disbelief, and Changeling Masks are still running at full force. A mortal might know and accept that a mage is magical, but their presence will still fuck up their magic. Does this make sense according to WoD's cosmology?

I've also written in that Detroit has been surrounded by eternal darkness in a 300 mile radius. Vampires still fall weary to daysleep but otherwise no longer have to fear the sun. How would this impact vampire society? I imagine ghouls would become less useful to younger/higher humanity vampires.
>>
>>52064625
You mean to tell me we got blood suckers heavily conesraed in this one area? NUKE IT
>>
>>52064625
No, the second everyone knows that magic is real the Consensus would change and reality would modify itself accordingly.
>>
>>52064625
>the Masquerade has been breached

Everywhere on Earth? And it's been irreversibly, undeniably shattered? How was it breached? Who was behind it? Was it mages? Hunters? Maybe even demons? Some kind of international supernatural investigation agency?

Before you can even begin asking "does this make sense with the cosmology" you need to provide a lot more detail on how and why the Masquerade was broken to this extent, because that will have an incalculable impact on how your setting differs from regular World of Darkness.
>>
>>52064625
The effects of permanent darkness would benefit some vampires more than others; Mekhets would lose their bane, and older vampires (who are more vulnerable to sunlight) would benefit a lot more than, say, vampires with Blood Potency 1 (who aren't much hurt by the sun). It would also make the Ordo Dracul's abilities less enticing.
>>
>>52064625
Just fucking ignore mages.
"Consensus" realities in any sort of fiction make no sense and make everything overly complicated.
>>
>>52065523
A super ancient and powerful lich managed to invoke a legendarily powerful spell and attempted to merge the fallen and supernal realms. He was defeated before his spell could finish, but the world became imprinted by it in various areas.

The Aether causes earthquakes to erupt off the coast of Japan and awaken a buttload of Kaiju, Stygia unleashed eternal darkness and zombies upon Detroit, stuff like that.

So yes, the masquerade is done forever. Supernatural phenomena is also much more present than before the masquerade was broken.

>>52065712
I would, except that I love mages, even though they fuck everything up.
>>
>>52065861
How does magic even stop the Masquerade? The Masquerade is upheld largely through various subtle and not-so-subtle usage of conditioning, deception and mind-control powers. It's not a magic spell or supernatural barrier. Did this spell strip the vampires of their mind-control powers? Did it give mortals the ability to identify vampires on sight?

In any case, the Masquerade being so breached would not sit well with the Camarilla elders at all. They would try their damnedest to reinstate it, since this represents 600 years of hard work gone up in smoke, especially if the power of Dominate is gone (or at least thoroughly weakened). The Sabbat and Anarchs would probably plunge headlong into a losing war with humanity. Vampire society would be plunged into a kind of post-apocalyptic chaos, since the mortals are likely hunting them down and destroying them en masse.
>>
>>52066060
It's more of, the effect was so large scale and obvious that there's no way it could have been covered up. You can't exactly dominate the entire population into forgetting the news that's blowing up all over the internet. Mortals still have no special or particular ways to identify the supernatural other than you know, with their eyes and ears.

And yes, Elders are not too happy about the situation. Most of them keep on the down low and don't openly identify as vampires. The funny thing is, due to the sexualization and popularization of vampires, younger vampires don't have too hard of a time landing blood dolls. Elders are not a fan of their newfound freedom for many reasons: Jealousy of the fact that their own requiems weren't so easy. Frustration at the younger vampires freedom making them harder to control. Elders as a whole are pissed, but there's nothing they can really do about it but adapt.

Elders who've been in long term torpor since before the masquerade was broken on the other hand have a very nasty surprise awaiting them and likely won't survive long.
>>
>>52066260
But even if teenagers willingly give themselves up as vessels, why does human society at large not kill off the vampires? Of course some vampires enjoy status and important social position, but none of them are so indispensable that humans couldn't justifiably kill them to protect common folk that could fall prey to vampires. The Masquerade being breached could not conceivably make life easier for old or young vampires.
>>
>>52066492
Well, realistically, according to the law, there's no reason vampires wouldn't still be considered human. And if there was, they're such social geniuses that they could get the law on their side sooner or later. As long as they themselves didn't commit assault or murder in order to feed, there's nothing to justify hunting them.

Heck, Hunters could be at best be considered vigilantes and at worst deemed serial killers unless they're somehow working for the government.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.